ATHLETICS IN 'CRISIS MANAGEMENT'

by Meagan McGovern

In the wake of the Faculty Senate debate about the athletic program, a football season with a new head coach, allegations of NCAA violations and a lawsuit filed by a former football coach, UH Athletic Director Bill Carr said the Athletic Department has gone into "a crisis management situation."

Part of the job given to the athletic director is going into the football season with a team recruited by former head football coach John Jenkins.

Jenkins resigned in April amid allegations of NCAA violations and was replaced by Kim Helton.

While UH is still conducting an investigation into NCAA violations, the manual used by Jenkins' offensive coaching staff gives some insight into the challenges Carr faces.

The manual, which until now has been confidential, was used while recruiting this season's football team. In it Jenkins says, "As far as the 'good kid' principle and 'top scholar but average athlete' syndrome, let's not get caught with a load of eggheads on our hands who can't play a lick.

"On the other side of the coin is the habitual criminal and wild hoodlum relection (sic). Hey! Let's face it -- each young man goes through personal crisises (sic) and struggles. And during this adolescent stage a young man may not get his ultimate thrill from the result of a lab experiment in contrast to getting highly intoxicated, whipping up on a few guys, bucking a couple of women, all in one weekend.

"As long as a young man is not a detriment to the team we can work with him."

Citing leadership principles based on "integrity, honesty, dignity and respect," Carr said he will not take any responsibility for, nor will he discuss, the manual, the condition in which he found the department or any events that happened before he came to UH.

"That's all history. We're dealing with what we have to work with, right now," he said. "I will take complete responsibility for everything that has happened within the department since I arrived -- that's part of the privilege of the job I accepted."

The ideas Carr has about teamwork, and building rapport within the university community and the Athletic Department may be a bit different for those people used to Jenkins' philosophy.

In the coaching manual, Jenkins said about teamwork and loyalty: "If a particular coach cannot work for a specific head coach without second guessing, being vocal and opinionated to alumni and outsiders . . . then he best get his ass gone immediately."

About football players and the media, Jenkins said, "Should case examples exist in which a player delivers statements to the press which may have an adverse reaction to our team's morale and attitude it will be necessary to get his ass on down the road."

Carr said, "Just give us a chance to change things. In the time I've been here (April '93), we've had to hire a new football coach and head off crisis after crisis. It's very hard to lead when you're constantly dodging bullets."

Because of the "chaotic" situation he found in the Athletic Department when he arrived, Carr said it will be some time before any permanent changes are seen in athletics.

"UH has chosen the right person to be the athletic director," said Carr of himself. "That's not meant to be immodest. I'm just saying I have the proper motivations and the talent to do the job well. It's just going to take some time."

Citing the 14 percent graduation rate for student-athletes as the thing he most wanted to change about the program, Carr said the idea of discouraging athletes to graduate is "reprehensible. The student-athletes are here to get a degree, and we will make sure they do."

For the present, however, the Athletic Department has several issues of immediate concern.

The Faculty Senate on Wednesday will propose a referendum recommending the elimination of all intercollegiate athletics. This comes on the heels of a controversial decision by the Board of Regents to raise head basketball coach Alvin Brooks' $75,000 annual salary to $125,000.

*******************************************************

EMPLOYEE ARRESTED FOR HAVING HAND GUN

An ARA employee was arrested for possession of a .38-caliber revolver Tuesday.

Noah Dean Berry, 18 and an employee of ARA Food Services in the Satellite, was initially arrested for unauthorized use of the car after a license plate check showed the vehicle was stolen, UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

The plate-check was run after police noticed the trunk's lock was popped out, he said. The car's driver, 20-year-old Jeffrey Johnson, was also charged with unauthorized use of the car.

The revolver was discovered in Berry's front pocket during a standard pat-down following the arrest, said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant.

However, unauthorized use charges were dropped after an investigation by the Houston Police Department determined that the dark blue Chevy Impala belonged to Johnson.

"Johnson's car was impounded at Chuck Davis Chevrolet at 3555 Old Spanish Trail after a prior arrest," Wigtil said. "He later drove his car out of the lot without authorization. He may be brought up on criminal mischief (charges)."

Johnson was charged with class A criminal mischief, said Robert Hurst of Houston Police Department media relations.

"He was charged for theft of services from the impound lot (at Chuck Davis Chevrolet)," Hurst said.

Berry was taken to the Harris County Jail and was released after posting his $2,000 bond Wednesday. He is due in district court Oct. 15.

STAGGS: I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING

by Meagan McGovern

A former UH football coach who filed a wrongful firing suit against the university said he did it "as a matter of principle."

"The university left me no choice" but to file suit, said Steven Staggs, who Wednesday named the UH Board of Regents and UH President James Pickering defendants in the suit.

Staggs' suit says the university violated the "Whistle-Blower Act," which prohibits retaliation against public employees who report official wrongdoing.

Staggs claims he was fired in response to his allegations that former UH head football coach John Jenkins violated NCAA regulations. Athletic Director Bill Carr claims Staggs was fired for insubordination.

"It's not a valid Whistle-Blower case," said Nancy Footer, an attorney for the UH-System. "It was not a wrongful termination, and we will fight his claim vigorously."

Staggs said by appealing his termination he had exhausted all UH administrative resources "and we still didn't arrive at the truth. When you know what was done, when you know what's right from what's wrong, you know what you have to do," he said.

"I will not concede that telling the truth, reporting violations, is the wrong thing to do," said Staggs. He adding that if he had accepted Pickering's offer on Tuesday of one year's salary in exchange for not filing suit, he would be going against his principles.

"Do you accept an untruth and $40,000 and just walk away, saying 'I'll keep quiet about this,' or do you keep going?" asked Staggs. "I want the university to understand the truth, that two plus two is four, not three, not two and a half, not five, and I will not take anything less. The truth is the truth. What's right is always right. If two plus two doesn't equal four, let's try it again until we get it right."

Pickering and Carr would not comment on the suit, consistent with university policy about lawsuits.

GAYS, LESBIANS NOW GLOBAL

by shane patrick boyle

GLSA has been a familiar abbreviation to most students at UH for the past eight years, but these initials for the Gay and Lesbian Students Association are now obsolete.

On Wednesday, members of GLSA voted to change the group's name to the Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Alliance, and use G.L.O.B.AL. for the new acronym.

The purpose of the change was to be "more inclusive," said Rodney Hakes, the treasurer and membership coordinator for the group.

"I am very happy about that. It might open the door for more people to feel comfortable and become involved," said Lisa Breitenfeldt, the activities coordinator.

"They have always had bisexual students in the group, and I think (the name change) is just to make those students feel more welcome and like they have a voice in the organization," said David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities and G.L.O.B.AL's advisor.

"(The acronym) is also a metaphorical way to say 'We're everywhere,'" he added.

Mitchell Nicholas, the group's executive administrator, said the the name change "is a way of showing that we are embracing our diversity."

Richard Wermske, the organization's ombudsman, said the group is "very representative of the the student body," with a mix of races, ages and majors. "Unity is our focus," he added.

The change from GLSA to G.L.O.B.AL. was not the first for the organization .

The Gay Liberation Front, in 1971, was the earliest incarnation of the group, but it was not recognized by the university.

In 1973, the Gay Activists Alliance formed and was the first gay student group in Texas to be recognized by a university. They amended their name in 1978 to include lesbians.

A second group, called Gay Resource Services, formed in the early '80s to concentrate on service activities, but both groups had disbanded by 1984.

GLSA was formed in 1985. Since then, spin-off groups have included: Oppression Under Target, a short-lived activist group; Delta Lambda Phi, a gay men's fraternity that is currently re-organizing, and Straight But Not Narrow, a recently formed support group with non-gay members.

Breitenfeldt said she and Elizabeth Lee, G.L.O.B.AL's resource coordinator, are also forming the Women's Focus Group.

Nicholas said he is "looking forward to the group being more active in the coming year."

Several members are going to Dallas this weekend for a conference of the Coalition of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Student Organizations, which will be held at Southern Methodist University.

Upcoming activities include: a National Coming Out Day rally and march on Oct. 11; a seminar called Hot, Sexy and Safer, cosponsored by the Student Program Board, and a Halloween party cosponsored by the Gay And Lesbian Organization at Rice.

An ongoing activity is a canned goods drive for the Houston Institute for the Protection of Youth.

They will also be involved with AIDS Awareness Week which is sponsored by STEPS.

G.L.O.B.AL. has two meeting times to accommodate students' schedules. They meet Wednesdays at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the University Center.

NEW HUE TO GREEN DAY'S RELEASE

by Andrew Nicolaou

Green Day is a band that just can't seem to make anyone happy. The San Francisco trio has always been subject to labelling as a "wimpy popcore band" and now finds themselves garnering criticism for "selling out" by the same scene that never really gave them it's full support.

The band, a long-time staple of San Francisco's East Bay scene, traces their origins to the childhoods of singer/guitarist Billie Joe and bassist Mike.

"We had been playing together since we were little kids", says Billie Joe. "Then John started playing drums and booking shows for us. We put out two seven inch and a LP with him. Tre (the band's drummer) joined the band a couple of years ago when John left to go to school."

The band found a home for its poppy, hook-laden punk rock on the Berkeley, Calif., independent label Lookout Records that released their only full length releases to date, <I>1, 039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours<P> and <I>Kerplunk<P>.

The records were met with both cheers and jeers from the underground scene, part of which embraced the group's affinity for pop melody (which was quickly deigned "popcore") and part of which scorned the band's songs as wimpy and watered-down.

Despite the boos issued forth from some critics, the group built a broad base of fans across the country that was evidenced in Houston last February when the trio played before a packed house at Emos. A particularly exciting aspect of the show was the crowd-it seemed that everybody from the tattooed and pierced crowd to the preppy set had shown up to see the band.

So what kind of people have been showing up to Green Day shows recently?

"The big surprise lately is frat boys," says Billie Joe. "Around here they're pretty scary. It doesn't bother me as long as they're not gonna be violent or just fight with people and they understand where we're coming from. It's weird though---we've always played for our friends and the other night we ended up playing under a different name---Blair Hess. He's supposed to be the filthiest man in Florida. He's got just one big dreadlock on his head."

The presence of Greeks at Green Day shows illustrates the band's quickly rising popularity and possibly part of the reason that Warner Brothers approached them last year, resulting in the group's signing in April.

Billie Joe cites several reasons for the band's decision to make the move, the main one being Rob Cavallo, the man responsible for bringing the L.A. band The Muffs to Warner Brothers.

"Warner was the coolest label of all the ones we talked to," says Billie Joe. They were mellow about it and weren't trying to hype us on any kind of bullshit. They weren't taking us to any expensive restaurants and we think Rob is the best link in the corporate scene."

The signing has created some headaches though as many of the people who seemed quick to tell Green Day to get out of the underground are now reacting to their major label signing with similar amounts of venom.

One person even went so far as to hold a protest against the band's signing at a June 17 concert at the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma, Calif., calling for the club's patrons to walk out when the band played.

"Yeah, some guy came out and expressed his views about major labels, some of which were pretty valid," says Billie Joe. "I have to give him some credit. He wasn't a belligerent drunk---he expressed himself intelligently. I mean, if I saw the guy, I'd still want to spit in his face. No one walked out."

Billie Joe doesn't seem all that concerned by those who have chosen to lambaste the band for its decision. He does, however, seem a little perturbed at some of the people in the independent scene who have made a point to publicly support the band's decision.

A case in point is that of Ben Weasel, the singer and guitarist of Chicago's Screeching Weasel, a band on the Lookout label that was once home to Green Day. In the September issue of the punk/hardcore monthly Maximum Rock'n'Roll, Weasel offered that "anybody who gives Green Day any shit for signing should be beaten with a stick."

"Man, I don't want anybody to go around defending me. If people don't want to like us then whatever---I don't need some guy from Chicago writing to defend me," Billie Joe says.

Currently, Green Day is touring North America for six weeks in anticipation of its major label debut,<I>Dookie<P>, the final mixing of which was completed a scant eight days ago. The album promises to contain some Green Day trademarks, but some evolution will certainly be evident in the band's new songs.

"We still know the same three chords and the same melodies," notes Billie Joe. "It's a lot less about girls and stuff and a lot more angry and neurotic. There's a change in the lyrics, a lot having to do with the frustration of dealing with everything that's happened in the last six months. I've been on both sides (in the indie/major label debate) and now I'm getting squished in the middle," he adds. "We're probably going to get squished by both sides and I don't know when but it's going to happen eventually."

Last spring Green Day was scheduled to play a date at Fitzgeralds' two days before Austin's South By Southwest music conference but the show was cancelled abruptly amid rumors that bassist Mike had broken both arms by either a car crash or a freak basketball accident.

"We were on tour and Mike and his girlfriend we're having a pillow fight, just joking around like crazy couples do, and he ran backwards straight into a pole and he fell really weird," says Billie Joe. "He broke his arm, sprained his elbow, he had six stitches in his head, and he had whiplash. We did get a good song out of it called "Pulling Teeth," though."

Green Day will be appearing with punk mainstays Bad Religion and Tacoma, Washington's Seaweed Sunday night at Numbers. When informed that Green Day's Houston date would be taking place at a glorified disco, Billy Joe had a few choice words.

"Maybe everyone can get inside and destroy the dance club," he says.

SLEEPING BEAUTY DELIGHTS

by Manuel Esparza

Do you believe in magic? Do you believe in fate, faeries and love everlasting? Some don't. Those are the ones who need to see the Houston Ballet's revival of <I>The Sleeping Beauty<P>.

Starting off their 1993-94 season, the Houston Ballet performed the classic tale with elegant deftness. From the top of the $500,000 sets to the bottom of the orchestra pit, the production was polished on every level.

The heart of the ballet is Tchaikovsky's tremendous score. Roughly three hours long, it has more variety in it than Imelda Marco's shoe closet.

The music captures the essence of the story and conveys the images and emotions from the Carabosse to the feline sounds of the White Cat. Ermanno Florio conducted the Houston Ballet Orchestra with energy and flair. The near flawless rendering alone was an evening's worth of entertainment.

The ballet moves in one prologue and three acts. The prologue takes place at the christening of Princess Aurora, local faeries dance to bestow gifts on the child. The five solos display a wide variation of style that requires a troupe with depth. Tiekka Schofield and Susan Cummins' solos were the stand-outs. Schofield exuded fun while Cummins did a blinding burre (dancing on toe).

Angered because she was not invited, Carabosse curses the child. The Lilac Faery intervenes and changes the curse from one of death to one of sleep. This is where the Ben Stevenson production varies from the others. Instead of Carabose being a hag, she is a beautiful but cold creature. Sandra Organ moved with style but not enough wickedness. As the Lilac Faery Rachel Beard danced with a soft but confident manner.

The lead duo of Janie Parker and Li Cunxin again thrilled the crowd as Princess Aurora and Prince Florimund respectively. Parker's hyperflexibility allows her to hold some difficult poses with apparent ease. On the final solo, Cunxin held tight form while spinning and leaping around the stage.

The final act is filled with various faery tale characters. There is Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, the White Cat and Puss' n' Boots. But the ones who cut the most memorable dance were Princess Florice and the Blue Bird, performed by Martha Butler and Karl Vakili. Sweeping across the stage with light grace they spun and floated as if they really were flying.

Final performances are tonight and Saturday with a Sunday matinee. A student ID is good for half price tickets one hour before the show.

SA MAY OFFER BOOK SERVICE

by Angela Johnson

UH students may soon have a chance to save money if a Students' Association bill establishing the Textbook Resale Information Service is approved.

Selling a textbook back to a college bookstore for a portion of the price paid three months before, only to have it then sold to a fellow student at a higher markup does not have to exist, said Justin McMurtry, an SA senator and chairman of the University Administration and Finance Committee. He is also the bill's author.

The bill was introduced to the SA senate this summer and will, if passed by the senate and approved by UH President James Pickering, establish TRIS as a service that matches students wanting to sell textbooks with students looking to buy them.

TRIS could enable buyers to purchase books at a lesser price and sellers to sell books at a higher return than what the bookstore offers.

"I don't think I've ever gotten more than seven dollars back for a book, even a brand new book," said Judith Levine, a senior philosophy major.

"As it is now, there is no organized alternative but to buy and sell your books at the bookstore," said McMurtry. "For a nominal fee, like a dollar per book listing, TRIS will list the seller's name, book and asking price and make it (the list) available for free to anyone interested."

The dollar fee would offset costs of the computer database system and its operations. McMurtry said that the fee would also prevent people from abusing the system and listing an excessive amount of books to receive more money.

At a dollar per book, McMurtry said, people would more than likely list only the books they think would sell. Another positive aspect is that the students, not the bookstore, decide on the selling price.

"If the bookstore knows that the book is going to sell, they should give the student more money for selling it back," said John Oltremari, a senior biology major.

"I think anyone would be interested in (TRIS). It seems it wouldn't be any more of a hassle than what we go through now standing in bookstore lines," Oltremari added.

The bill is currently under review by committee. After the committee is finished, the bill will be voted on by the senate, but Pickering will have to sign it for it to become reality.

"I don't anticipate any opposition to this because it is something that is needed," said McMurtry.

Scott Cambell, a junior computer science major, said, "I'm interested in anything that will save the students money. I would definitely use the service."

McMurtry pointed out that TRIS would only be an information service, not a buying or selling entity. There will be no cash transactions handled by TRIS, so there will be no violations of any contracts the bookstore has with the university, he said.

Angie Milner, SA director of public relations said, "What we want to do is add an option for the student."

"SA does positive things for the students and we are here to prove it. TRIS is another facet of our mission to help," said McMurtry.

CHURCH POWER CONTINUES TO INFLUENCE THE STATE

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ... ." The First Amendment is succinct.

But in the wake of the Aug. 30 meeting of President Clinton with 250 religious leaders at the White House, the political courting of the Pope and the recent meeting with Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition, the question of how separate the two actually are is once again thrust into the political dialogue.

In fact, a voucher system, currently implemented in the Milwaukee school system, and under consideration in several other cities, has renewed this constitutional debate on the floor of the Senate.

"There is no definite separation of church and state, not in the schools or even in our national holidays," said Sonia Coute, a graduate international business student.

"Even (the president's) oath of office was unconstitutional," said Robin Murray-O'Hair, national spokeswoman for the American Atheists.

Although not required, the presidential inauguration has included elements of religion since the inception of the United States, such as the use of the Bible during the swearing-in ceremony.

"I do think (the inauguration) is an unfortunate breech of the constitution," said Bredo Johnsen, chairman of the Philosophy Department.

During the Aug. 30 meeting the president said: "The fact that we have freedom of religion doesn't mean we need to try to have freedom from religion, doesn't mean that those of us who have faith shouldn't frankly admit that we are animated by that faith, that we live by it and it does affect what we feel, what we think and what we do."

American Atheists Inc. contends that Clinton's statement is one of the many presidential breaches of the constitution.

"(Clinton) is politically ignorant," Murray-O'Hair said. "Unless you have freedom from religion, you can't have freedom of religion."

"Some may see the courting of the Pope and the speech Clinton gave to the 250 religious leaders (as) the first step toward a church state," said Tom Hughes, an adjunct history professor.

"This nation is inordinately religious. And sometimes cultural and social considerations overlap the separation of church and state," Hughes said.

UH, it seems, also has a strong religious standing. There are more than twice as many religious organizations as there are political or social groups on campus.

UH has 33 registered campus organizations dedicated solely to spiritual pursuits.

They vary in size from 12 to 400 members, meaning about one-third of the student population may belong to one or more of these organizations.

"My goal is to win the world and this campus for Christ," said Tanya Lang, a member of Campus Crusade for Christ.

"I do not believe in separation of church and state," she said. "I know that Jesus Christ is not a lawbreaker, and I'm with him. But if God calls me to do something against the government I will do it."

Last week during a meeting of Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition in Washington D.C., Republican Senators Jesse Helms and Bob Dole and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan were among the invited speakers.

The concentration of political power at this event seems to affirm the re-emergence of the religious right.

Not since the Pledge of Allegiance was changed in 1954 to include the phrase, "under God," has the "religious right" been afforded this much credibility.

"The fact that (the Senators) were present, is a manifestation of the religiousness of the country," Johnsen said.

"The religious right has scared me," he said. "Any group can get control within the (framework of the) constitution and affect (issues such as) abortion and school curriculum."

The relationship between the church and state has always been volatile. And though there is a distinct legal separation, the influence exerted on the state by the church will continue to be questioned.

"To someone who's a Christian, (the separation of church and state is) not that big a deal. But if you're not Christian, it is," Couté said.

<I>STRIKING<P> ADVENTURE WITH WATER & WILLIS

Bruce Willis, in a popular Hollywood pose, is now in <I>Striking Distance<P>.

by Jayne Zuluaga

When was the last time you were caught in the midst of an action-packed adventure-drama that took place on the Ohio river? Well, get out your life vests and dust them off, because <I>Striking Distance<P> is a water-ride you won't soon forget.

The story begins in the year 1991, but let's rewind a bit.

Bruce Willis is officer Tom Hardy, a fifth-generation homicide detective, who is assigned to the Polish Hill case, a string of murders in which the police station receives phone calls where female victims are overheard being brutally strangled, then later dumped into the Ohio River.

On his way to the policeman's ball with his father, chief of homicide Vince Hardy (John Mahoney), Tom Hardy suddenly embarks on a wild chase to capture the suspect who is on his way to dump yet another body. At the end of some exciting chase scenes involving a barrage of police cars soaring throughout the streets of Pittsburgh, the suspect, unfortunately, escapes.

The chase ends when both cars suddenly careen off the road and down a steep hill. Hardy gets a leg injury, Hardy's father gets shot by the fleeing suspect, and yes, the suspect gets away.

Later, Hardy is present at a court sentencing where he testifies against his cousin and partner, Jimmy (Robert Pastorelli) for certain crimes. While standing outside the courtroom, the Polish Hill suspect is dragged past, and to Hardy's disbelief, it is a man named Kesser, who had been witnessed dumping a body into the river. Hardy believes that it is the wrong guy, but Kesser is tried and found guilty anyway

Meanwhile, cousin Jimmy never shows up at the sentencing, and is later found standing on a bridge ready to jump into the river that took his mother's life, years ago. His leap is yet another tragic loss to Hardy, and the ordeal generates plenty of tension between him and his uncle Nick (Dennis Farina) and other cousin Danny (Tom Sizemore), who are also in the police force.

Things get especially bad for Hardy when he challenges the police department about who serial killer actually was. He is demoted to the position of "water dog," or river rescue patrol, as a result.

Back to 1993.

Hardy is now paired up with new dive partner Jo Christman (Sarah Jessica Parker) and is happy with his transition from detective to river rescue patrol. Together they ride along the rivers, stopping speeders, and saving people from the perils of the water.

In his houseboat, one night after work, he gets a curious telephone call reminiscent of the ones the Polish Hill serial killer made two years before. Shocked, Hardy wonders if this could be the same person and starts an investigation on his own.

The next day, during his routine patrol, Hardy finds the body of a girl who has been shot (instead of strangled) and dumped upriver the night before. The victim is later found to be a woman Hardy was once involved with, and coincidentally, so are the next few victims.

Conflicts abound as Hardy tries to poke into the Polish Hill files against the wishes of his uncle, who, incidentally, has become the chief of homicide, a job that originally belonged to Hardy's father. Hmm, makes you wonder, huh? Hardy goes on to investigate the killings and finds certain clues that lead him closer to the killer.

Bruce Willis' performance as Hardy is inevitably the same as his other films where he plays a cop, but slightly less humorous. Sarah Jessica Parker's performance is perfect as the straight-laced Jo, but the real prize must go to Robert Pastorelli, who plays the slightly insane cousin Jimmy. He added some frightening episodes to the film.

<I>Striking Distance<P> is one of those suspenseful dramas that gets you so involved you actually begin talking to the screen (come on, you know you've done it before).

The film is packed with wild car chases and excellent speedboat scenes that are sure to keep you attentive. <I>Striking Distance<P> will strike a chord with viewers who like action films spiced with suspense and sprinkled with a little human compassion.

CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE DISCUSSES RELATIONSHIPS

by Thomas Hewett

Students seeking Christian fellowship might find it at Houston's Galleria next month.

The 8th Annual National African American Christian Singles' Conference will be held October 7-10 at the Westin Galleria Hotel.

Conference organizers expect to attract more than 800 singles from across the country.

"We will take a look at why relationships have become burdensome and are failing," said Gloria Smith, chief conference coordinator. "You may ask yourself, 'Are all of my relationships truly Christian?'"

Seminar speakers will be addressing other important issues in today's society, Smith added.

This year's theme of the entire conference, "Am I My Brother's Keeper?" will be the focus of 10 seminars conducted by a variety of religious and civic leaders.

"(The conference) is teaching the brotherhood and fellowship of man," said Smith. "It has been very successful in the past. One can benefit from it in multiple ways."

The Brentwood Baptist Church Singles' Ministry will host the weekend's program.

Brentwood Baptist Church is fortunate to have a singles' ministry program, Smith said.

"Many churches do not have them," she said. "Singles' ministries teach Christian values. We think that's positive."

Ironically, several UH students interviewed said they were not concerned about finding Christian fellowship.

"I guess I'm not Christian," said a UH sophomore, who wished to remain anonymous.

Highlighted seminars include, "Christian Relationships: Are You Running With The Right Crowd?" and "Male and Female Relationships: Are You Looking For A Real Love?," which will discuss current trends in relationships among people.

KLINGLER AND SMITH MAY PLAY MICHIGAN

Houston starting quarterback Jimmy Klingler and inside receiver Sherman Smith are nursing sprained ankles. Their status is listed as day-to-day.

Cougars coach Kim Helton said the two should be able to play against the Michigan Wolverines Sept. 25 in Ann Arbor, Mich.

"They are two of the players we need to be ready if we are going to beat Michigan," Helton said.

Helton also said he is pleased with the progress of redshirt freshman quarterback Chuck Clements.

"Chuck Clements did some good things in the second half against Tulsa," he said. "He also made some mistakes, but I feel confident with what he showed me last week and his efforts during the off week, that he can handle the responsibility of running our offense if Jimmy can go."

SUNSHINE TO BEAM ON WOMENS VOLLEYBALL

The Cougar volleyball team is preparing for what can only be called the Sunshine State invasion.

Florida and Florida State will land in Hofheinz Pavilion today and Saturday night at 7:30, respectively.

The Cougars will play their first game since the Houston Invitational, held Sept. 10-11. The Cougars finished in second place in the tournament. Their record is 2-5.

Senior Ashley Mulkey is showing her veteran experience for the Cougars. She leads the team in kills, with 93 and has charted 75 digs so far this season.

Junior hitter Carla Maul is one better than Mulkey in the dig department with 76.

After starting of the season off ranked No. 8, the Florida Gators fell seven notches and now rest at No. 15.

The Gators have a well-rounded team that boasts several ranked players.

Senior Keri Uptegraph is the player to watch . The senior outside hitter, is No. 17 in hitting percentage at .444. She is also leading the Gators in digs with 78.

Following closely behind, is sophomore Aycan Gokberk. Gokberk leads the Gators' in kills and blocks. She also has a season high 33 block assist total.

The team has a 5-2 record going into today's game against the Cougars.

Interestingly enough, the Gators fell to the Florida State Seminoles in five matches Sept. 7. The Cougars will play the Seminoles Saturday night.

The Gators lead the series, which began in 1986, 3-1.

Not far behind the Florida Gators, are the No. 21 Florida State Seminoles.

The Seminoles have started their season off on the warpath with a 6-1 record.

Florida State has recorded a season-high of of 14.43 kills per game. The Seminoles are third in assists per game with 13.04 and fourth in hitting percentage at .256.

Outside hitter Luiza Ramos has the hot hand on the Seminole squad. She has averaged 2.56 digs and four kills a game.

Although the Seminoles are on a hot streak, history is on the Houston's side.

The Cougars hold a 7-3 series advantage over the Seminoles. Last season, the Florida State took the the victory over the Cougars in five games.

After the Florida teams play the Cougars, they head into the heart of Texas to play Rice and Texas A&M.