BALLOT'S IN FOR COUGAR CHEERLEADERS

by Stori Carpenter

Hofheinz Pavillion was a blur of red and white pom poms as the UH junior-varsity cheerleaders and the Cougar mascots were being selected.

The JV cheerleaders and JV mascot will lead our Cougar fans at home football games and women's home basketball and volleyball games.

After eight days of practice, 14 students were chosen to represent UH. Final tryouts were held at 1:30 Sept. 17 at Hofheinz Pavillion.

Faculty Cheerleading Sponsor Mark Kuhlmann said the JV squad consists of six men, six women and one woman alternate.

The woman's varsity alternate is automatically a JV cheerleader, Kuhlmann said. When the varsity alternate is needed on the varsity squad, the JV alternate is used.

"This year we only have four out of the six men we need on varsity right now, so the men with the two highest scores will be moved up to varsity," Kuhlmann said.

JV cheerleader Melody Stewart, a sophomore political science major, said being on the JV squad will be a great experience before trying out for the varsity squad in the spring.

"A cheerleader is more than a crowd leader at games. We are also athletes who participate in community events," she said.

Kuhlmann said the varsity and JV teams practice four to six hours a week. "The practices are scheduled around cheerleader's school and work. School is the first priority," he said.

Funding for the cheerleaders and mascots comes from student service fees.

The money pays for cheerleading uniforms, mascot costumes and travel expenses. "Only the varsity cheerleaders and the varsity mascot attend away games," Kuhlmann said.

The JV cheerleaders are: Melody Stewart, Elizabeth Boudreaux, Metta Boeing, Brindi Schneider, Sandra Martin, Shelley Lowery, Steve Toake, Robert Tipps, Richard Orellana, Raya Kulkarri, Raymond Mudlong and alternate Mandy Bogatin. The two new varsity cheerleaders are: J.D. Busch and Eric Estrada.

*******************************************************

TURKISH PARTY A CULTURAL TREAT

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Sish Kebabs, a Turkish bazaar, folk dancing, Turkish coffee, tea and belly dancers were the highlights of the third annual Turkish Festival Saturday at the Autry House on Main Street.

Some of the American UH students and faculty heard about the festival from their Turkish friends last week and ended up at the Autry House.

Jennifer Gaines, a second year graduate student at the School of Social Work, said her favorite activity was belly dancing.

Belly dancing and Turkish folk dancing also attracted Sandra Carrettin, an English teacher at the Language and Culture Center.

Carrettin said she teaches English to the international students and therefore learns about all international festivals.

While some of the visitors tasted kebabs and shopped at the Turkish Bazaar, others watched video shows about daily life, places of interest and the arts in Turkey.

"How green Turkey is," said John Underwood, a second year post-baccalaureate student at the College of Technology, after he watched the videos showing Turkey's countryside.

Underwood and his wife Gina came to the festival with their son Jacob. Gina Underwood said they host a Turkish student, who invited them to the festival.

The Underwoods went home with an old-fashioned, handmade copper teapot they bought in the bazaar.

Coskun Caglar, who was a Turkish volunteer for the festival, showed tourist and cultural video films throughout the day. He said about 200 people, mostly Americans, watched the videos.

"We want to show what Turkey is all about. We want to promote Turkey (in America)," said Randy Burdett, the president of the American Turkish Association.

Burdett, whose wife is Turkish, said being the American president of the association is both a rewarding and a challenging experience for him.

He said more than 1,000 Turkish people live in Houston and about 300,000 live in the United States. Activities like the Turkish festival not only bring the Turkish community together but also introduce Turkish culture to the Americans.

IN THE END YOUND DOESN'T DISAPPOINT

by Andrew Nicolaou

The three hours leading up to Neil Young's appearance at the Cynthia Mitchell Pavillion Thursday were chock full of foreboding portents.

The crowd was suffering from a split personality disorder of a disturbing magnitude. For the most part the fans seemed easily identifiable as coming from one of two camps.

On one side it appeared as if there was a legion of 107.5 FM listenin' ex-hippies desperately looking for a remnant of the past to cling to that they conjectured Neil Young might be able to offer.

On the other side was a mass of the great unwashed – grungy, suburban, wanna-be alternative teenagers looking eager to root on Blind Melon and Dinosaur Jr., and curious about Young after his recent appearance with their deities in Pearl Jam on the MTV Video Awards show.

If one thing can be said with any certainty about Blind Melon, it is that the band did not disappoint. The records are laden with droll '70's-influenced album rock and so was the band's performance.

Dinosaur Jr. was even more of a disappointment than Blind Melon, and that's to that band's credit. Unlike Blind Melon, Dinosaur Jr. has two amazing albums on its resume and was, at one point, incredible. Sure the band hasn't been the same since Lou Barlow left and started making J. Mascis look bad, but there seemed no real energy behind anything the band played Thursday night.

While none of Mascis' solos were quite as indigestible as some issued forth six weeks ago at Lollapalooza, the all-too conspicuous absence of songs like "Freak Scene" took much away from their set. "The Wagon," however, sounded pretty good.

The frightening nature of the crowd, the numbingly boring opening bands, and the tentativeness of the entire affair made a fan's first three hours at the Woodlands generally unpleasant.

It was a given that Neil Young was an amazing performer and that Booker T. and the MGs were amazing performers, but were the two really all that compatible? Could the minds responsible for compositions such as "Arc" and "Green Onions" find an agreeable point of convergence?

Thirty seconds after the trio of Youngs (Neil, Booker, and backup singer Esther) took to the stage the answer was joyfully obvious. As soon as the assembled performers leapt into "Mr. Soul" any questions of compatibility between Neil and the band shrivelled into so much dust.

The Hammond organ wielded by Booker T. merged well with Neil's deftly played guitar and the all remaining tensions of the crowd seemed to evaporate in a matter of seconds.

Several minutes later, Young took to a piano for a pair of songs. Perhaps the strongest moment of the night could be found here as Young turned in a rendition of "Helpless" which could only be described as flawless. Thankfully, a high level of restraint was shown by the pair of female backup singers, and this was gratefully continued for the rest of evening.

Young seemed in a hurry to quickly regain the frenzied pace of "Mr. Soul," and the barrage of cheers and shouting that found him as he played the opening notes of "Like A Hurricane." The audible assault of his electric guitar was continued with a fierce version "Rocking In the Free World" from his 1989 <I>Freedom<P> album.

At this point it seemed as if the concert had reached a frenzied pitch from which things could only begin to gradually begin a downward slide. Unbelievably enough, this was simply not to be the case.

Neil and the band's energy level remained at a constant high the entire night that allowed the crowd no time to recover in the short time between the end of one song and the start of another.

Other highlights of the well-over two-hour show included a blistering performance of "Love and Only Love," a stirring acoustic rendition of "Heart of Gold," and an extended "Down by the River," which contained what was certainly one of the finest guitars solos any and all members of the crowd had ever witnessed.

After bidding the crowd farewell, Young returned for the mandatory encore. While the encore itself was no surprise, Young's choice of songs was.

Young's final offering to the already well-fed crowd was a typically noisy, feedback-ridden cover of "All Along the Watchtower," which certainly sated anybody with any room left for his ear candy.

The concert exceeded all expectations not because of what was played, but because of what was not played. Second guitarist Steve Cropper kept his licks tasteful and refused to give in to any urges to musically masturbate. Neil even made up for the pile of refuse his fans had to wade through to get to him, an obstacle that would have been a challenge for anyone.

UH REELS IN FEDERAL RESEARCH GRANTS

by Annette Baird

The University of Houston ranked in the top 20 percent of universities receiving federal funding commitments for research and development in science and engineering, according to the most recent survey by the National Science Foundation.

More than $17.5 million was awarded to UH in 1991 for research and development in science and engineering, ranking UH 120 out of 769 colleges and universities, said Richard Bennof, a science and resources analyst for the NSF.

For total federal funding obligations in research and development for all academic fields, UH ranked 123 in 1991, Bennof said.

"We are always interested in how UH does vis-a-vis other universities, but it's like comparing apples to oranges," said Tom Jones, associate vice president for research at UH.

Those institutions that have a medical school or are land-grant institutions typically receive more federal money than those institutions that don't, Jones said.

"This institution would really love to crack the top 100, but you have to look at the growth in trends. We are climbing," said Julie Norris, assistant vice president and director of the Office of Sponsored Programs.

The total amount of federal awards for research and development in all academic fields at UH has climbed steadily over the last five years. The rate went up to $52.7 million in fiscal year 1992 from $40.5 million in 1988.

Federal obligations are commitments government has made to pay an institution for specified projects in research and development. The awards are made regardless of when the funds are appropriated or when the funds are acquired, Norris said.

Fifteen federal agencies, such as the Department of Health and Human Services and the NSF, commit to funding virtually all academic research and development supported by the government, Bennof said.

Individual faculty members write proposals for specific research projects, which then go through the Office of Sponsored Programs, Jones said.

The NSF makes the awards on behalf of the federal agencies to the university in trust for the person who applied for it, Jones said.

In 1985, the goal for UH was to reach $45 million in federal awards for research and development by 1990, said Norris. "We didn't quite make it. The 1990 figure is $43.5 million," Norris added.

Of long-term goals, Norris said the latest figure she has seen is to reach $60 million in awards by the end of fiscal year 1997.

"It's ambitious, but achievable," Norris said. How can it be done? She said UH has to encourage multi-disciplinary projects like the Institute for Molecular Design.

"We have to identify where federal funds that were once earmarked for defense technologies are going, like health and social programs. We have to find ways to encourage faculty to submit proposals," Norris said.

The sustaining base for any university is its funding from federal agencies, Norris said.

"That is the best indicator of whether a university is going to grow," said Norris.

STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW SUPPORTS GAY RIGHTS

by Elizabeth Gonzales

The University of Houston's gay and straight students may soon be fighting homophobia together now thanks to Straight But Not Narrow (SBNN), a new organization for heterosexuals who support gays and lesbians.

"There is no reason for homophobia (the fear of homosexuals)," said John Cobb, president of SBNN.

"Gays and lesbians are people too."

Cobb and SBNN vice-president Maryelaine Eckerle founded SBNN, and Eckerle created the organization's name.

"(SBNN) wants to dismantle the prejudice and bigotry of heterosexuals toward the gay community," Cobb said. "Equal rights do not stop at sexual preference."

Cobb said he would like to emphasize the importance of making the gay and lesbian community aware that not all heterosexual people fear homosexuals.

"It's simple. We're straight, but not narrow-minded, Eckerle said. "Everyone should have equal rights, and everyone should have the right to be who they are."

"(SBNN) is part of an on-going effort to educate society," said Mitchell Nicholas, executive administrator of Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Alliance. "You don't have to be gay to come out in support of gays and lesbians' equal rights."

"People are realizing that 95 percent of our lives are like everyone else's," he said.

Cobb also said he wants to build a strong base of camaraderie for SBNN. Although SBNN is dealing with a serious subject, it's important to have fun while getting the message out, he said.

SBNN will be involved in the National Coming Out march and rally on Oct. ll and AIDS Awareness Week

in November.

SBNN holds meetings Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Parliament Room at the UC.

START JOB SEARCH LONG BEFORE GRADUATION

by Charlotte Pennye

Future graduates who believe there is plenty of time to begin an extensive job search may be surprised to know that many students already have a head start.

The Career Planning and Placement Center held a free multi-faceted job campaign workshop for students Sept. 17 in the Student Service Center.

"Students sometimes have the misconception that if (they) graduate in May, (they) should start looking in April," said Joy Warner, internship coordinator and lecturer for the workshop.

"My suggestion is that students start 18 months ahead of graduation," she said.

During the course of the workshop, students were given tips on networking, interviewing and a brief introduction to some of the materials available at the center.

"The job search process should be thought of as a planned attack. You are selling yourself and your skills to a buyer, a potential employer," Warner said.

The Jobanc Network at the Career Planning and Placement Center allows students to obtain a maximum of five job listings per day.

Help Wanted, USA, is another resource available to students. This publication is a collection of newspaper want ads from 64 major cities across the United States. It is updated weekly and stored on microfiche.

"The Career Planning and Placement Center, along with the training acquired at UH, are the tools to help you with your job search," Warner said.

Some of the strategies mentioned in the workshop included targeting several small to mid-size companies instead of large corporations; using temporary employment agencies as a way to build a resume; joining professional organizations related to your major as a way of networking with people in your field, and as a way of receiving brochures, journals and bulletins circulated by the group; and improving interviewing skills.

"A resume gets you in the door, but the interview closes the door on you inside," Warner said.

Workshop instructors also recommended informational interviewing.

In this technique, students speak informally with employers to find out helpful information, without looking for a job.

"Improve interview skills by interviewing with lots of people, so when 'the biggie' comes along you have worked through the nervousness," Warner said.

The majority of students attending the job campaign workshop were seniors, graduating in December or May.

"I liked the workshop because I got a chance to learn about the different resources available," said Pamela Flores, a senior business major.

"I am just beginning to look at my options, but because of this workshop I know to begin on time," said Sabine Doutre, a graduate business student.

The Career Planning and Placement Center will be holding four more of these workshops throughout the fall semester. For additional information, contact Chris Li at 743-5119.

SUN SETS ON COOGS

It is back to basics for the Cougar volleyball team.

The Cougars fell to the No. 15 Florida Gators Friday and the No. 21 Florida State Seminoles on Saturday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars lost in three games to both teams and now have a 4-14 record for the season.

A bright spot for the Cougars amid the downpour of losses was the play of freshman setter Sami Sawyer.

Entering the 1993 season there was some speculation as to who would fill the crucial role.

"The setter is involved with every play," coach Bill Walton said. "It is important that the setter is aware of everything that is going on on the court."

Sawyer seems to have answered that call. Against the Florida Gators she averaged 16 assists a night and had a .375 hitting percentage. Saturday she had 39 assists and a .111 hitting percentage.

"I was really surprised that I got the starting position," Sawyer said. "I still get nervous though."

Sawyer said that she realizes that when she is on the court it her job to lead the team.

She has played in 30 games and has recorded 280 assists so far.

"One aspect of my game that I need to improve on is my defense," Sawyer said. "I need to stay in mental shape too."

Leading the Cougars is a tough task, as Sawyer found out playing against Florida and Florida State.

Going into Friday's game, things seemed to be looking good for the match-up against the Gators.

The Cougars played a fundamentally sound game of volleyball, but the Gators were a step ahead of them. They lost 9-15, 14-16, 13-15.

Saturday night was a different story. Against the Florida State Seminoles, things looked as bad as they were.

The Cougars seemed beaten early in the first game. However, they managed to crawl back from a 3-13 deficit to challenge the Seminoles.

Defense almost carried the Cougars, but a Seminole spike cost the Cougars the game 11-15.

The second game started out much like the first one.

Florida took control and the lead early in the match, making the score 0-3.

Again, the Cougars battled back and tied 3 all.

The score fluctuated between the two teams until the Cougars took a 7-6 lead. Their lead climbed to 9-7 when the Seminoles called a time out.

After that the Cougars lost their momentum and Florida pulled away to win 9-15.

"Fundamentally we broke down," Walton said. "We struggled with defense, blocking and setting. Florida played a great defense too."

The third game was a quick 2-15 loss for the Cougars.

The Florida Seminoles were everywhere on the court. They managed to dig whatever ball came their way.

"I think we sounded confident coming off of the bench,"Walton said. "We just didn't put that into action."

CALI SURFER IN CINCINNATI FUN FOR ATHLETES

by Eric J. Teltschik

Put on your knee and elbow pads, kids, the fun starts here. The film is <I>Airborne<P>, and in-line skating is the name of the game.

<I>Airborne<P> is the story of Mitchell Goosen, played by Shane McDermott, California teen-age surfer and in-line skater turned philosopher, whose daily concerns of babe-watching and wisecracking are suddenly torn asunder.

All is not lost, however -- through the language of in-line skating (roller-blading to mere mortals), there are friendships to be made and victories to be won.

When Mitchell first learns that his parents are going to Australia for six months to continue their in-depth study of wombats, he is elated, because he assumes they will take him with them.

Little does he know that his sun-drenched days on the beach are coming to a screeching halt and that he is bound for the home of Aunt Irene, (Edie McClurg), Uncle Louie, (Patrick O'Brien) and Cousin Wiley, (Seth Green) in – no! Say it isn't so! – Cincinnati.

No waves in Cincinnati.

No sun in Cincinnati.

Mitchell is not a happy surfer.

Upon his snow-bound arrival in the Buckeye State, surfboard in tow, Mitchell seems quite the contrast to his new classmates at Central High, all of whom are obsessed with slapping a silly puck around on frozen ponds.

Go figure.

Mitchell's only handicap is that he is so cool he's annoying, which causes resident tough guy and hockey jock Jack, played by Chris Conrad, to take an immediate dislike to him. Mitchell's problems are only compounded by the mutual attraction he shares with Nikki, played by Brittney Powell, Jack's sister.

His big break finally comes, though, when he's asked to compete in a grudge match against a group of snotty private-school kids in an all-or-nothing downhill race on in-line skates.

Though the film's plot may not be a literary masterwork, the movie has certain merit.

To begin with, the photography in this film is fantastic, though the composition is occasionally very dark. Furthermore, the stuntwork, obviously centering around a lot of physical action, is spectacular.

The laughs are original and frequent, despite the obligatory descent to toilet slapstick characteristic of this genre of work. What's more, the language and plot are surprisingly clean. The strongest words in show were "horse poop." No joke.

The film takes a fresh, strikingly youthful perspective not only on a sports craze, but also on the experience of loneliness and unfamiliar surroundings. Finally, this is an action-packed movie about a kid, faced with adversity, that resorts to his wits, not fighting, to solve his problems.

If you're a in-line skating nut or if you enjoy sports action photography, the film is a definite green light. If you're young and you're looking for a few laughs, then it's worth a shot.

The performance are good all around -- some perhaps too good. Wiley is a riot, and equally convincing were Nikki and Jack.

Shane McDermott, Mr. Cool, however, played his role so well that he made you want to slug him, or at least for his nemesis Jack to do it for you.

Furthermore, it would be nice to see Edie McClurg (Aunt Irene) of <I>Hogan Family<P> and Black Flag commercial fame do something other than the same Geek Queen roles time and again.

You might recognize McDermott from MTV's <I>Collin Quinn Show<P>, Green from <I>Pump up the Volume<P> and <I>My Stepmother is an Alien<P>, Powell from NBC's <I>California Dreams<P> and Conrad, who recently completed work on Randa Haines' <I>Wrestling Ernest Hemingway<P>.

The film was produced by Bruce Davey and Steve McEveety and directed by Rob Bowman. Photography was provided by Daryn Okada, with editing by Harry Miller, III. The story was written by McEveety with Bill Apablasa, and the screenplay by Apablasa.

HOUSTON GETS INTERIM TENNIS COACH

Former Houston tennis star Stina Almgren Mosvold has been named interim tennis coach, Athletic Director Bill Carr said on Friday.

Mosvold will start Oct. 1. She will replace Cathy Beene, who resigned last week to accept the position of associate athletic director at the University of Texas at Arlington.

"We are pleased to have a person of Stina's quality available to step in on short notice," Carr said. "As a former UH student-athlete, she is very familiar with our program and the Houston tennis community."

Mosvold, 29, from Sweden, has been working with the team since fall drills opened. She is looking forward to the season opener with North Carolina.

"It's a big challenge," Mosvold said. "I'm very excited about this season and the opportunity to be head coach. When our team becomes mentally tough, it will improve. Our players just have to believe in themselves."

A two time All-America doubles player in 1986 and 1988 for the Cougars, Mosvold had just recently returned to the team as an assistant coach. She was a student-assistant in 1989-90, while she finished her work on a business degree in marketing.

Mosvold has also worked as a professional tennis instructor in Houston.

Houston Cougars welcomed back right tackle Darrell Clapp. Clapp practiced for the first time since injuring his medial-collateral ligament in his left knee during a scrimmage in fall practice.

Clapp, 6-5, 300 pounds, will be available for Saturday's game against the Michigan Wolverines in Ann Arbor.

"I ran a couple of plays with the team and the knee is very loose," Clapp said. "It will take some getting used to."

Although head coach Kim Helton welcomed the return of his right tackle, he still has doubt about his star quarterback.

Starter Jimmy Klingler and inside receiver Sherman Smith are listed as doubtful for the Michigan game. Both players are hobbled with sprained ankles.

If Klingler can't go, Helton said backup quarterback Chuck Clements will get the start.