STUDENTS ENJOY A FIERCE GAME

by James Aldridge

There are no knee pads, helmet or other protective gear besides a mouthpiece. People fiercely attack their opposition. If it's not the Houston police, it must be the UH Rugby Club.

Rugby appeals to all types, said Mark Speer, the club's coach.

"It's played all over the world, in every country, every province and every territory," he said.

Speer describes rugby as a combination of football and soccer rolled into one. The players' goal is to punt the ball into the goal and score a "try" which is worth five points.

Thirteen Rugby teams play 13 matches in the Texas Collegiate League. Winning teams then can compete in the Western Collegiate Championship and the National Collegiate Championships, said Dan Coussirat, UH club's president.

UH team members spend several hours practicing because everyone loves the sport, Coussirat said.

"It's just down to the bare essence of competition. No one gets paid (but) everyone has a drive to win," he said. The UH Rugby team finished third in Texas last year and currently has a 3-0 record.

What team members like most about playing is the physical violence and the partying afterward, said Bryan Richards, UH Rugby vice president.

Saturday UH beat Sam Houston State University at UH by scoring twice as many tries.

UH really improved its plays and won the game during the second half, said Heather Roseland, an undeclared sophomore and seasoned UH Rugby spectator.

Although the season has begun, students can still join the club. Students can call 685-1765 or come to practice from 5 p.m. -7 p. m. Monday through Thursday.

*******************************************************

FEE GETS NOD FROM PICKERING

UH President James Pickering gave a positive review of a proposed athletics fee agreement that would cause part-time students to pay almost double in service fees.

Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee delivered Pickering's message at Friday's Student Fees Allocating Committee meeting. No official decisions could be made, however, because the group did not reach quorum.

SFAC's new Intercollegiate Athletics Fee Agreement asks that every student pay a $34 fee toward athletics. Presently athletics receives 36 percent of all student service fees.

The agreement, which would stop athletics from receiving more money every time student service fees are raised, would also make part-time students pay the same amount for athletics as full-time students. Students who take under six hours now pay $33 in fees, under the new agreement they would pay $56.

The new "dedicated fee" would not allow athletics to receive any more than the set $34 unless SFAC recommends and approves an increase. Even if athletics asks for extra money, it cannot receive more than 10 percent higher than it received in the previous year.

"(Pickering) is favorably disposed toward the proposal (and) wants to put it through the general council office and make sure it is legal. If they take this route it should take about a week," said Lee, adding that the time should be used for a student referendum.

If the agreement passes a student referendum and is finally approved by the president, it will be enacted in the fall of 1994. Every student, rather than just full-time ones, would receive a packet of free passes to all the home football games.

"Last year they would not have gotten the coupons. Part-time students are going to get the same things as full-time students," said Dean of Students William Munson.

ATHLETIC SALARY SURVEY QUESTIONED

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Head basketball coach Alvin Brooks' controversial salary recently led UH to conduct national surveys. However, the surveys are neither national nor scientific.

"I wouldn't classify (the first survey) as a national or a scientific survey," said Joaquin Diaz-Saiz, associate professor of statistics at the Department of Decision and Information Sciences.

The university administration explained at a press conference Aug.25 that the review of the national market for Division I basketball coaches resulted in a salary raise for basketball head coach Alvin Brooks.

Brooks' salary increased to $125,000 from $75,000 after two surveys were done.

According to the first survey, which includes eight universities, the minimum basketball coaching salary is $60,000 and the maximum is $170,000. The total packages average approximately $95,000. Moreover, only the University of California's (Berkeley) head basketball coach makes the maximum salary that is more than Brooks'.

Diaz-Saiz said a national survey should contain not eight but all of the coaches' salaries and years of experience in Division I.

If the time and the money are restricted, a random survey could be done, he added.

The first survey is not a random one because the university chose the schools specifically, he said. In that case UH might have wanted to more closely resemble the schools that were chosen, he said.

However, Brooks' new salary is more than what everybody makes in the survey except the University of California's head coach, who makes $45,000 more than Brooks.

Diaz-Saiz said the cost of living, which is expected to be much higher in California than Houston, should also be considered when deciding on salaries.

When asked how he decided on Brooks' salary, Athletic Director Bill Carr said, "I won't give bullets to you for your gun."

The schools that the university chose are comparable with UH, said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president. He said the chosen schools have recently hired their coaches, the coaches had no head coaching experience before and some of the universities are from the Southwest Conference.

The second survey looks more scientific because it is broader, Diaz-Saiz said. However, the survey doesn't mention any correlation between the salaries and the coaches, which is important to decide on a salary issue, he added.

The second survey lists 81 base salaries and 62 base plus market generated salaries for head basketball coaches around the country. According to the survey, the minimum base plus market generated income is $20,000 and the maximum is $597,548. The average is $198,485.

In the men's basketball program 298 four-year universities exist in Division I throughout the country, according to the NCAA.

The survey of eight schools provides information on the coaches' backgrounds and salaries. Creighton, Baylor and the Southern Methodist University, are private so did not list salary information. The public universities used in the survey are Southwest Missouri State, San Diego State, Lamar, Texas Tech and the University of California. SMU, Baylor and Texas Tech University are Southwest Conference schools.

STUDENTS TAKE EXPERTISE TO BEACH

by Edward Duffin

UH students are setting out to improve one of Texas' largest tourist attractions with their talents.

The fifth year honors studio in the College of Architecture has built several prototype models to solve problems such as transportation and landscaping on Seawall Boulevard and surrounding areas in Galveston.

Funding for the project was donated by George and Cynthia Mitchell of Mitchell Energy, The City of Galveston and the Anchorage Foundation of Texas.

"This is an extreme proposal interested in revitalizing the Galveston Seawall," said Kenny Jones, a fifth year architecture major.

The first stage of the four-part project addresses obstacles faced by pedestrians and automobiles.

Students have pinpointed three places at major intersections along the Seawall for parking lots, each containing at least 1,000 parking spaces.

These lots would be connected by a beach trolley that would run parallel to the Seawall, joining major hotels.

"These facilities would allow day visitors, as well as occupants of the numerous condos in this vicinity, to park conveniently when enjoying the replenished urban beaches," said professor Rafael Longoria, author of the text, <I>Visions 4 Galveston's Seawall<P> to accompany the prototype models.

In addition, the students have proposed a plan to introduce new amenities in the area of the Moody Convention Center.

One of the new attractions is a "dolphin ring, where free dolphins are fed at regular hours as a tourist attraction," said Longoria.

Another attraction is a public resort located on Menard Park. This area would bring luxurious services, usually associated with upscale hotels, such as tennis courts and swimming pools.

"We didn't touch the existing. We went beyond the fabric of the existing," said Nathan Somera, fifth year architecture major and one of the project designers.

Also proposed is a promenade along the Seawall. This public walkway would pair the Strand with the Seawall.

The connection would include lavish landscaping, which project designers hope will evoke the images associated with a seaside promenade.

Also proposed is a line of wave breakers to create a protected body of water to be called Galveston Sound, said Longoria.

The project, which has been displayed in Dallas and Galveston, is currently on exhibit on the third floor of the architecture building.

GYM SHORTS

Coach Kim Helton wouldn't say for sure, but he's <I>almost <P> positive quarterback Jimmy Klingler will miss Saturday's game against Michigan in Ann Arbor.

"I hope Jimmy's ready for Baylor," Helton said. Klingler injured his ankle Sept. 11 against Tulsa. Second string QB Chuck Clements is expected to start Saturday.

For Clements, it's not the best scenario in which to start but it will be his chance to improve.

"What better place is there to grow up than in front of 105,000 people," said Helton of raucous Michigan Stadium, which has a string of 111 consecutive crowds of more than 100,000.

Helton was more optimistic about having cornerback John W. Brown, who is recovering from an ankle injury, and right guard Darrell Clapp, recovering from a knee injury, back to face the Wolverines. Brown played part of the Tulsa game hurt and Clapp has been out since the season began.

Also of concern is receiver Sherman Smith, who is listed as questionable because of an ankle injury.

"I don't think he'll make up enough ground to play," Helton said. "We don't have enough people to get people hurt.

"You've got a guy who caught 105 balls (Smith) and a guy who has thrown a lot of balls (Klingler) who are not playing."