LISA LIKABLY LOUD

by Maryelaine Eckerle

Classified by some as grunge, punk by others, For Love Not Lisa is a band with a style and sound all its own. <I>Merge<P> is the band's first full-length release.

For Love Not Lisa's sound is raw and unpolished. It's fresh. It's loud, without the background noise that leaves the listener with a headache.

<I>Merge<P> starts with "Slowhand," which is anything but slow, and runs slam-bang into "Just A Phase" without stopping for breath. Side two is much better; it's possible to distinguish where one song ends and the next begins.

Let's hope the band can avoid becoming a packaged-for-easy-consumption bubble gum band.

Mike Lewis' voice is, at times, as tender as your mother's, but in the next instance reminds you that it isn't your mother singing. Guitar here is reminiscent of Roger Waters in more than a few psychedelically-charged riffs. Doug Carrion and Aaron Preston supply rhythms on bass and drums respectively.

Put all the pieces together and the band explodes from your speakers with just plain good garage punk-grunge music.

The quirks just seem to add to the band. It has its problems, but For Love Not Lisa has time to improve upon itself.

*******************************************************

G.L.O.B.AL. STUDIES DIVERSITY IN DALLAS

by shane patrick boyle

The Gay and Lesbian Students' Association went 'global' Sept. 15 by changing their name to The Gay, Lesbian Or Bisexual Alliance. This past weekend, G.L.O.B.AL. went to Dallas.

Several students from G.L.O.B.AL. joined gay, lesbian, and bisexual students from around the state on the campus of Southern Methodist University on Saturday for The Student & Youth Conference of the Coalition of Lesbian, Gay and Bi Student Groups.

The theme of the conference was "Embracing Our Diversity." This theme was developed through panel discussions on race relations, sexism, and group unity.

A panel called "White Men Can't Jump" led by Rick Thurmond, minority education coordinator of the AIDS Resource Center in Dallas, addressed racial prejudice in the gay community.

It's important for organizations to be "more inclusive of everyone," said Calvin Glenn, panel member and former president of the Dallas-based Gay and Lesbian Young Adults.

Race relations in the gay community are better than they were five years ago, he said, "but that doesn't mean all the channels are open."

Vicki L. Wright, of Austin, led a session on "Living with Diversity" and a panel on "Gender Diversity" confronted the issue of sexism in the gay community.

Richard Wermske, ombudsman for G.L.O.B.AL., said he was pleased that the conference was "not just centered on homosexuality," but instead concentrated on "the larger issue of diversity."

Other panels included "Lesbian Health Issues" and a men's safe sex panel called "Slipping and Sliding." "We're Here, We're Queer and We Have E-Mail!" was a panel that discussed how organizations could benefit from electronic mail.

Another lecture presented a condensed history of the gay and lesbian rights movement, led by Louise Young of the Lesbian, Gay Political Coalition in Dallas whose involvement dates back to 1971 when she was involved in Boulder, CO.'s Gay Liberation Front.

Alma Aguirre, a junior pre-med major at UH and public relations officer of the Houston Area Teenage Coalition on Homosexuality, said she enjoyed the conference, and found Young's panel particularly interesting and informative, because of the background that was presented on the movement before Stonewall.

On Sunday, members of G.L.O.B.AL. marched with the Coalition of Lesbian, Gay and Bi Student Groups in the Texas Freedom Festival, Dallas' gay pride parade.

Other groups marching included the University of Texas at Arlington's Gay and Lesbian Association, Gay and Lesbian Young Adults, SMU's Gay and Lesbian Student Organization, and the Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Aggies who did yells of "Gig 'em! Girlfriend."

G.L.O.B.AL. followed with chants of "We're here, we're queer and our parents think we're studying."

SPEAKER SAYS HOPE FOR KOREAN REUNIFICATION

by Abraham Dillman

After 50 years of political tension on the Korean peninsula, there is hope for peace and unification within two years, said Jong-Sun Noh, to a crowd of mostly UH Korean students.

Noh, a professor of Christian Ethics at Yonsei University in Seoul, South Korea, and a Rockwell Visiting Theologian, spoke at A.D. Bruce Religion Center to students, clergy and faculty at a "luncheon dialogue" titled "Peace and Reunification in Korea."

He said his strategy for reunification of the Koreas depends upon both nations embracing nuclear disarmament.

The meeting was the first in a fall series of Theology and Practical issues sponsored by Ecumenical University Ministry-UH.

"One of the most important tasks for the peace with justice on ... the Korean peninsula and Japan, is to deter and stop the nuclear and biochemical wars that will kill millions of people in this area," said Noh.

He also noted that this is the task of not only the common people, but also the task of the privileged few, who make their money from the nuclear war business -- which includes production, marketing and the manipulation of the military, political and economic situation for their interests.

In the mid- to late '80s, South Korea was the site of widespread protests against the military dictatorship.

Noh said that nuclear superpower countries -- Russia and The United States -- dictate world events by using international organizations, such as the United Nations, for political and military influence.

"Are the hungry and the weak the criminals?" asked Noh. "History will tell that the criminals are the ones who made them hungry through exploitations and oppressions, but did not repent of their sins, in spite of having the power to liberate them from their hunger with peaceful means," he explained.

The government of South Korea was under significant pressure by its populace because of social injustices. Violent uprisings, by students demanding democracy, were numerous.

"People were very unsatisfied with military dictatorships, and the overall political situation and foreign influence," said Ji Hoon Lee a UH exchange student from South Korea. "Dr. Noh has been a positive influence in the move towards unification and a more complete democracy."

Noh said that economic sanctions and military intervention against North Korea is not the way to bring about unification. Both South Korea and foreign powers should cease nuclear testing and development, destroy existing arms and use economic and humanitarian efforts to bring about peace.

"For the peace of the world, the two Koreas should maintain their national sovereignty, and the power for their self-reliance," Noh said. "Realization of the reunification of Korea will be the symbol of the genuine peace in the world."

Hyun Sook Chang, a junior journalism major, pays close attention to developments in the region.

"I have family in North and South Korea and I'm worried about a war-stricken reunification rather than a peaceful one," she said. She said she also believes Mr. Noh is a powerful player in the reunification of the Koreas.

Noh is actively involved in the peace process by bringing together the Christian Church and government. He is also an advisor to South Korea's Deputy Prime Minister on Reunification of Korea.

"I think that the meeting was positive because it helped clear up some issues between some South Koreans and Americans," Chang said.

"But there is still a lot of anti-American sentiment in South Korea, because of the United States' military presence in the demilitarized zone. Hopefully, everything will work out peacefully," he said.

WELLNESS PROGRAM GUIDES STUDENTS

by Scherilyn Ishop

UH students having difficulty balancing school, work and social life need not look any further than the University Center for relief.

The Substance Abuse Training and Education Programs (STEPS) may help.

STEPS is an organization under the umbrella of the Career, Counseling and Testing Center that serves as an outreach service to give students skills for stress-management and balancing job and school pressures, said Amy Wortham, STEPS co-director

Despite its name, STEPS mostly promotes "wellness" and alternative activities which include workshops on relationships and stress management for members of the UH community, Wortham said.

Wortham said STEPS helps about 20 to 25 students each week in addition to students who participate in the workshops and other programs.

"Most problems can be solved on campus, unless they involve drug or alcohol abuse or mental health, which require medical attention," Wortham said.

Wortham notes that she is clinical social worker, not a psychotherapist. STEPS does not administer treatment. Their job is prevention.

"We tell people to focus on helping themselves and their needs, before others'," Wortham said. "Some people come to us with very personal problems, though."

The program is a referral service, which focuses on the well-being and health of students and provides resources and information about positive lifestyles.

"Our goal is to get more student, organizational and community involvement and more recognition," she explained.

"We're here as a clearinghouse on wellness topics," she added.

STEPS kicks off its wellness campaign with Drug Prevention Month and HIV/AIDS Awareness week.

"Both of these programs will feature workshops and speakers. Students will be able to come out and participate in a forum on these issues," Wortham said.

In addition to banners and flyers, STEPS will begin a campus-wide Red-Ribbon campaign in honor of Drug Prevention month, from Oct. 23 to Oct. 31.

HIV/AIDS Awareness week will explore the impact of AIDS on society and will include a panel discussion with people who are HIV positive.

"We are really trying to get involved in these programs. Especially during HIV/AIDS awareness week," Wortham said.

A Walk-a-thon for AIDS patients is scheduled for the week of November 8-13 to coincide with Diversity Month, when a panel will discuss the impact of AIDS on minority communities.

In addition, football fans at the Oct. 2 UH vs. Baylor game are asked to join UH athletes who will make a public pledge for UH to be drug-free and proud at a pre-game ceremony, Wortham said.

STEPS also offers classes and workshops on social and sexual health, and problem-solving techniques.

For more information contact the STEPS office at 743-5455.

UNSAFE SEX WITH FIVE CONDOMS

by Thomas Hewett

Bad news for the sexually active.

A recent study by a California research scientist reveals that five brand-name condoms don't reliably protect against the AIDS virus.

The 1993 study, conducted by the research foundation Sequoia Associates, found that Trojan Ribbed, Trojan Naturalube Ribbed, Contracept Plus, Tahiti and LifeStyles Conture have failure rates of 6 to 100 percent when tested for viral leakage.

Contracept Plus, which had a 100 percent failure rate according to the study, was pulled from the market.

The UH Health Center's pharmacy doesn't sell the particular brands highlighted in the study, said Magdalene Vulkovic, chief pharmacist.

Bruce Voeller, the study's main investigator, said the five condoms do not effectively guard against sexually transmitted viruses such as HIV and herpes.

The study claimed Trojan Ribbed and Trojan Naturalube had failure rates of 9 and 22.8 percent.

In an article published in College Press Service, Trojan manufacturer Carter-Wallace, Inc., questioned Voeller's findings.

"Carter-Wallace has conducted testing at independent laboratories and there is no evidence of an HIV leakage problem in any of their Trojan brand condoms," said Ellen Sanders, Carter-Wallace spokeswoman. "If these tests by Dr. Bruce Voeller were done properly, Carter-Wallace knows of no way they could have gotten those results."

The majority of UH students interviewed said condoms should continue to be sold on campus.

"If you're going to protect yourself, you have to have the means to do so," said Lester Saucier, an advertising major. "

Nevertheless, some expressed concern.

"Condoms are never 100 percent reliable," said Hai Vu, a pre-pharmacy major. "It's a question of whether or not you want to take the chance."

Students visit the UH pharmacy regularly to purchase condoms,Vulkovic said.

COOGS OPEN SWC IN BEARS' LAIR

by Michelle Morgan

The Houston volleyball team opens Southwest Conference play at Baylor today.

Baylor comes into conference play with an overall record of 10-3, impressive for a team with only three returning starters.

They came on strong in the Kansas tournament defeating Drake in a five-game match, 3-2, Kansas State (3-0), Tulsa (3-0) and Oregon State (3-0).

They didn't do nearly as well against Oregon State (1-3) the second time around in the Nike Collegiate Tournament at Corvallis, Ore.

"We need to learn how to play a ranked team if we're going to be ranked," said Baylor head coach Tom Sonnichsen. "We're a young team (mostly freshman and sophomores) but the younger kids have made progress."

They did end non-conference play on a positive note, however, winning the American Airlines Classic they hosted at Ferrell Center in Waco.

Of the 11 team members, top returnees are seniors Jenny DeLue and Brenda Kunz, junior Cory Sivertson and sophomore Erin McElwain. Top newcomers are freshmen Nicole DeNault and Sharon Pratt.

Sivertson might pose a problem for the Cougars. She was named Freshman of the Year, two years ago, and was named first team All-SWC as a sophomore.

Over the past seven seasons, Houston coach Bill Walton has amassed a perfect record of 14-0 against Baylor.

"We're worried because we've never beat them (Cougars) before," said Sonnichsen. "They always find a way to come through."

Both teams, though, enter the conference with some problems.

"We lack consistency," said Walton. "We're playing extremely well, and we break down. Our communication goes."

"Our defense has improved a bit, but we're not hitting well," said Sonnichsen.

Baylor's biggest worries are Cougars Ashley Mulkey and Lilly Denoon.

"We've never been able to figure them out. They represent how well we will play," Sonnichsen said.

In any sport, the season-opener is always crucial. The outcome defines the team's attitude and sets the stage for the rest of the season.

"It's important to start with a win," Walton said. "We have a chance to do it, but on the road you really never know. We need something positive, and it can start with Baylor."

Houston finished second in the SWC last season, which left a lasting impression on Sonnichsen.

"I'd rather open against another team, but that's just the way it worked out," Sonnichsen said. "We'll be ready to play when we play."