PICKERING INTERCEPTS SENATE RESOLUTION

UH President James Pickering has squashed the Faculty Senate's resolution to abolish intercollegiate athletics.

Pickering also said a resolution asking that UH professors get paid a median salary comparable to other instructors at similar universities can not be met.

A national survey of university athletic coach's salaries was done earlier this month to create a new pay scale for top UH coaches. The head basketball coach received a raise of $50,000 and the head football coach received a raise of $29,200 plus a market generated income of up to $120,000.

The Faculty Senate, on Wednesday, asked that a similar survey be conducted for the faculty. About two hours after the senate meeting ended, Pickering released a statement saying that he was happy to hear the concerns of faculty, but he disagreed with the 25 senators who voted to abolish intercollegiate athletics.

Although he denounced the anti-athletics senator's votes, he said he believes that he is in agreement with faculty when it comes to necessary Athletic Department reforms.

"There is no reason why a well-run athletics department can not be supportive of the ideals of this university," said Pickering.

Some professors do not believe Pickering's reaction to the resolution was satisfactory to their needs.

History Professor Robert Palmer said that Pickering did not really recognize what the senate was trying to accomplish.

"Reform is not possible in the climate in which (intercollegiate athletics) work. Big time athletics are ethically corrupt," said Palmer.

He added that coaches do not take the academic lives of their players seriously. Palmer believes that problems of athletic over-spending and low academic standards can only be solved by pulling completely out of intercollegiate competition.

Faculty Senate President-elect Ernst Leiss said he does not stand strongly against Pickering's decision. He says that no amount of pressure will make administration pull out of athletics and that reform is the best alternative.

"Just because the senate votes to abolish athletics does not mean it will happen. We have no enforcement power. This will not be an all-out war," said Leiss.

"Right now athletics is using more money than they are generating and they have abysmal academic records. I am going to push for higher (graduation) rates," said Leiss.

He added that athletes who are on scholarship should live up to the same standards as other scholarship students.

"This is about academic progress rate," Palmer said. "If you can't live up to standards, you lose your scholarship."

He added that as an advisory board, the Faculty Senate will give Pickering "methods and techniques" to enforce new standards.

Though Pickering said he is willing to work on reforms and conduct a survey of national professors' salaries, he said money to raise the UH median pay rate for professors is not available.

"There is no reason why our faculty should not have equal pay, but we had to make up for $2.1 million in academic money that was cut from the state," said Pickering.

In response to why athletic coaches received raises and faculty did not, Pickering said that athletics is a competitive program and that "good salaries" are sometimes necessary to retain good coaches.

"The coaches got about $30,000 more, partly from market generated income," he said.

*******************************************************

CEO CHALLENGES STUDENTS

by Charlotte Pennye

Students showed off what they had learned in college Wednesday by spouting off facts such as when and where Malcolm X was assassinated and what the largest crop produced by the Chinese is, in exchange for prizes and free food from The Council of Ethnic Organizations.

Students were challenged to put their knowledge about other cultures to the test at the Satellite Hill as part of the CEO's annual Cultural Challenge quiz game.

Trang Phan, CEO president and a senior English major, said, "This game is designed to test students' knowledge of different cultures around the world, just to see how much they know."

CEO is the official representative body for the ethnic and international organizations at UH. It also serves as the medium for ethnic and international concerns on campus. In addition to the annual events, CEO is instrumental in co-sponsoring numerous programs with more than 60 of its member organizations.

"Students who walk by are asked to stop and take the quiz. A group of five or six students must answer a list of 10 questions, and the person with the highest score wins the round. The winner must then pick a number between one to 20 and receive the prize with the matching number already taped to it," Phan said.

Fernando Somoza, a graduate chemistry student, said, "It was a challenging and diversified game. I would encourage others to take the quiz to find out how much they know and don't know."

The Afro-Cuban Ensemble performed several selections while contestants penciled in their answers and received complimentary pastries.

Winners from the rounds averaged scores of 60, with the exception of three students who scored 80 points. The prizes included such items as T-shirts, coupon books and a backpack.

Mark Flores, a senior music composition major, said, "The questions were good and fair. I learned about other countries and cultures in college, through my history classes. I would definitely encourage others to take the challenge -- it should be mandatory."

QB CLEMENTS SHINES IN COOGS' LOSS TO MICHIGAN

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- No one was more surprised about Houston quarterback Chuck Clements' ability to navigate the Michigan defense than Clements.

Although Houston fell to the eighth-ranked Wolverines 42-21 Saturday, Clements and the Cougar offense ignited for three touchdowns and 386 yards, more than 100 yards better than the average of the previous two games.

Clements got the start because Jimmy Klingler was sidelined with a sprained ankle.

How surprised was he about his performance?

"Maybe a little," said Clements, whose Michigan debut was his first collegiate start. "I mean, you're going to play the <I> Michigan Wolverines<P>. I'm going into the game not knowing what to expect."

What he got was a 62.5 percent completion percentage on 25-of-40 passing for 276 yards and two touchdowns, both to senior running back Lamar Smith.

Clements did throw one interception on the Cougars' second possession of the second half when Ty Law stole a 43-yard bomb intended for wide receiver Ron Peters.

But that interception turned into a 37-yard gain. When Law cut to the opposite side of the field, receiver Julian Pitre hit him from behind, knocking the ball loose.

Cougar wide receiver Keith Jack picked up the ball at the Houston 44 and returned it to the Michigan 37.

Six plays later, Clements found Smith in the right corner of the end zone and Houston closed the gap to 35-14.

Two possessions later, Smith scored his third TD of the game on a three-yard pass from Clements, capping off a nine play, 92-yard drive with 5:56 remaining in the game.

On that drive, Clements was 7-of-8 for 87 yards and used four different receivers.

"Chuck did a good job and (offensive coordinator) Neal Callaway did a great job in preparing Chuck for today," said Houston head coach Kim Helton.

After the game, Clements refused to take any of the credit.

"Lamar did a great job blocking and catching the ball," said Clements, a redshirt freshman from Huntsville. "When you have a weapon like Lamar coming out of the backfield, it helps the passing."

Smith carried the ball 20 times for 119 yards and a touchdown and caught five passes for 44 yards and scored two TDs.

But in front of 104,196 marshmallow-throwing Michigan fans, even the most stoic of freshmen quarterbacks would tend to be jittery.

"I was nervous," Clements said. "I pulled out (from center) early one time. I said on three, I said, 'Hut' and pulled out."

Most of the time, though, Clements got it right and embarrassed the Michigan defense.

Houston's first scoring drive in the second quarter showed how dominant Clements can be.

He completed passes of 12 and 17 yards, the latter split two defenders in tight coverage on Peters, to convert two third-and-10 plays that kept the drive alive.

"Chuck is great," Smith said Saturday. "Today, he's not even a freshman. He played like a professional."

MODERN DAY HERBIVORES NOT THE FIRST TO VALUE VITAMINS AND NUTRITION

People labeled postmodern "veggieterrorists" are not the first of the species homo sapiens to dislike meat.

The vegetarian lifestyle, as a choice instead of a reaction to not being able to catch an animal, has existed since the 16th century.

Pythagoras, who praised the hygienic nature vegetarianism created between man and animals has been given credit for starting vegetarianism.

The second sighting of vegetarianism was in a protest against the excesses of ancient Rome. It continued to be preserved by the Catholic religion and its many followers, such as St. Francis of Assisi. However, modern vegetarianism is considered to have begun in the 19th century.

The North American Vegetarian Society and International Vegetarian Union definition of a vegetarian is "anyone who lives on the products of the vegetable kingdom with or without the use of eggs and dairy products to the entire exclusion of flesh of all animals (flesh, fish, meat and fowl) for food."

However, vegetarianism can be subdivided into many categories. The main ones are as follows.

Lacto-ovo vegetarians are the largest group. They supplement the diet of grains, vegetables, fruits and nuts with animal protein such as milk, eggs and cheese.

Lacto vegetarians follow the same set of rules, but eat no eggs.

Vegans exclude all flesh, fish, fowl, animal milk and all other dairy products from their diet. "Vegan" literally means living on plant products only. Vegans will not wear leather, fur, wool or silk.

Health vegetarians view meat as unhealthy and are vegetarians purely for health reasons.

Ira Wolinsky, professor of nutrition, says vegetarianism is a healthy lifestyle. "Eating a combination of plant products and substituting certain foods for others, like milk and corn, or corn and rice or rice and beans is called complementarity of proteins," he said.

"Every culture has its traditional foods. Since we are here in Texas, we have beans and rice."

Wolinsky says peanut butter sandwiches are a good substitute for protein. "American pizza will do it; not that I'm endorsing pizza by any means," he says.

The reasons people become vegetarians varies from each decade. "In the 1960s, people did it out of quasi-religious reasons. Other did it for social protests or animal protection. Still others did it for sincere and bonafide reasons and ecological reasons," he says.

BIOLOGY ADVISOR DISCOVERS SCIENCE OF COURSE CATALOG

by Lawrence R.Williams, Ph.D

It has been one year since I assumed the duties as Undergraduate Advisor in the Department of Biology.

In my office, we do many things associated with our 1,600-plus majors, as well as dealing with students of other majors. Much of our time is spent answering questions and reassuring students. Clearly, 95 percent of the answers students are seeking can be found in the Undergraduate Studies Catalog for the University of Houston.

Therefore, I would like to disseminate some of the information available in the catalog. My intent is not to reprint sections of the catalog so students will read it and put the information to work for them.

Some students might suggest we are weary of their questions and want students to stop bothering us. Truth is, you are consumers of our educational products and services. You have the responsibility of being informed consumers. Informed consumers get better treatment because they are armed with information.

For example, if you go to a car dealership to buy a car, a sales representative will approach and ask, "What kind of car are you looking for?" You reply, "A red one."

That representative will be hard-pressed to restrain his excitement over the idea of selling someone who knows he wants a red car the most expensive vehicle at the highest profit.

Contrast that with facing a representative when you are armed with information on specific models, options, hidden costs, "add ons," and so on. The representative tends to be less excited and gets down to business when faced with an informed, prospective buyer. Students at UH should conduct their university business likewise. Maybe I can point the way to get some of you started.

Our current Undergraduate Studies Catalog is for fall 1993 through Summer 1995. Although most UH students are probably under the 1989-91 or 1991-93 catalogs, I will use information from the current catalog for two reasons. One, our newest students may profit quickly by exploring the current catalog because knowing what is in it may allow them to avoid trouble in the future.

Two, our more seasoned, mature students should only require a slight nudge or two to get them into the catalog. Therefore, a first point you should learn is which catalog is appropriate for you.

It is important to know because the rules, regulations and degree requirements that you must meet are in the catalog you are under.

Next week, I will point out some particulars regarding which catalog is the right one for you and what the purpose and value of a degree is. (For the truly curious, see page 70.)

Williams is an undergraduate advisor in the Biology Department.

WOMEN'S <I>CLUB<P> CONNECTS ONLY IN PARTS

by Devor M. Barton

<I>The Joy Luck Club<P>, based on the best-selling novel by Amy Tan and directed by Wayne Wang, is a film with parts greater than its whole.

As told by the actresses in the film, <I>The Joy Luck Club<P> is a collection of short stories, each heavily narrated by the character to whom the story relates.

The loose connection for the stories is set up in the first tale, about a Chinese woman named Suyuan, played by Kieu Chinh, who is forced to abandon her infant daughters before coming to America. She dies before she can find them again.

Her three close friends, all Chinese immigrants that she had met in church and with whom she had formed the mahjong-playing "Joy Luck Club," complete Suyuan's search after her demise.

Suyuan's American-born daughter June, played by Ming-Na Wen, is elected to go to China to meet her older sisters. Before she leaves, there is a bon voyage party which provides the basis for the other women's story-telling.

Each story, by itself, is impressive and effective. The members of the club tell the audience about events from their former lives in China, and about their relationships with their American-born daughters. The daughters also describe their relationships with their mothers (the other characters never hear the tales).

However, the attempt to cram all 16 stories from the novel into a 135-minute feature film forces the viewer to absorb an unhealthy amount of material far too quickly.

In order to squeeze in all the material, the director uses enough narration to turn each story into a basic monologue. While this works fine at first, the viewer quickly tires of the premise and begins to dread the beginning of each tale.

Compounding the problems, each story is told in the form of a flashback, but no dates are ever listed on screen, causing the viewer to wonder just when the events are occurring. With flashbacks within flashbacks, normal time soon has no meaning.

<I>The Joy Luck Club<P> falls apart when taken as a whole, but is very promising once broken down.

The acting is wonderful, featuring a highly competent female cast in some of the most substantial women's roles yet this year, and will definitely be kept in mind when awards time rolls around.

With its feminist tilt, the film's few supporting male characters, (including a husband portrayed by Andrew McCarthy), are not shown in a positive light, and the script does resort to male-bashing.

Due to Wang's efforts to make a movie with an all-Asian cast that doesn't resort to stereotypes, <I>The Joy Luck Club<P> successfully describes the relationships between mothers and daughters in America today. The film will probably appeal more to women in this respect, and it should also be more enjoyable for Asian-Americans more familiar with the content.

Filmmaker Oliver Stone does have his name attached to this movie as executive producer, but he seems to have only been interested in <I>The Joy Luck Club<P> as practice for his upcoming release <I>Heaven and Earth<P>, which looks to be practically identical.

DARLINGS OF DEPRESSION, HAPPY, HAPPY LISTENING

Ren and Stimpy have taken the plunge – to compact disc.

The country’s favorite toon pair started on Nickelodeon, then jumped to MTV and superstardom, but Ren and Stimpy have always maintained that crazed relationship with which more than a few can identify.

<I>You Eediot!<P> contains 21 tracks of Ren and Stimpy singing and slugging out as the darlings of many a manic depressive (and the not-so-manic.) It’s the first big recording by the dynamic duo, still riding a wave of popularity, and it’s a little more than the crass bid for bucks that one might think.

Devotees of the <I>Ren and Stimpy Show<P> get sketches from the show on <I>You Eediot!<P> as well as stints from the high-octane hooligans who inhabit this dog and cat’s world. All that you desire – the most memorable songs, funniest bits and more – is here.

Many parts are plenty weird enough to keep you distracted during those midnight reading/cramming binges. "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" is a right-on example: "Hello boys and girls/this is your old pal Stinky Wizzleteats/This is a song about a whale – no!/This is a song about being happy/That’s right, it’s the Happy Happy Joy Joy Song!"

<I>You Eediot!<P> has plenty of filler in the form of funky parlances like "Dog Pound Hop" and "Smokin’." Each has a spiffy 1950's surf or even rockabilly feel to it and is a pleasing repast to the cartoon snippets. Be prepared to hear a few of these on the answering machines of lots of quasi-hipsters over the coming months.

Ren and Stimpy get sentimental in their own warped way on "Better Than No One." The pair get orgasmically patriotic on "Kilted Yaksmen Anthem." "I’m Going to Be A Monkey" is Ren and Stimpy proclaiming their fondest wish. "Don’t Whiz on the Electric Fence" is a public service announcement the electric company might not be using anytime soon.

In fact, pieces like "Whiz," in which Ren and Stimpy are absent, tend to be the most creative and amusing. "Log Theme" is the best, with barber-shop singers swinging on: "What rolls down stairs/Alone or in pairs?/What rolls over your neighbor’s dog? ... it’s Log!"

Hardcore fans may be somewhat disappointed by some of the things left out, like the "rubber nipples" segment from the show. Lots of time is spent on instrumentals that could better go to Ren and Stimpy. Still, the kids are all right.

OFFENSIVE LINE GROWS UP DESPITE 42-21 LOSS

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Three games and five sacks later, the Houston offensive line has finally learned how to protect its quarterback.

Despite a 42-21 setback to Michigan Saturday, the line didn't allow a sack to the Wolverines' 16th-ranked defense in the nation.

And it gave quarterback Chuck Clements the time to rack up 276 yards and two touchdowns on 25-of-40 passing.

"My offensive line did a great job," Clements said. "When you have a line that protects you that well, you're going to do a great job."

Running back Lamar Smith, who rushed for 119 yards and scored a touchdown, concurred.

"(The line) proved to me they are the best offensive line I ever had," said Smith, whose three touchdowns (two receiving) tied his career high, equaled last year against Texas Christian and Southwestern Louisiana. "I could run through daylight. They made holes 10 feet wide."

The line is young and inexperienced, but that changes with every game played. The Michigan game might represent its growth spurt.

"It's nice to look up and see someone running down the field like that," said sophomore left tackle Jimmy Herndon of Smith's performance. "We still made a lot of mistakes. I made a couple mental errors. Just simple things that should be corrected."

The most pressing problem seemingly is for offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek to find a solution to the Cougars' difficulties in goal-line run blocking.

Late in the second quarter with first and goal at the Michigan three-yard line, Houston called for three straight runs up the middle.

The result: fourth and goal at the 1/2-yard line that took a play-action pass to Smith in the right corner of the end zone to score.

Herndon was nearly satisfied with the line's performance.

"We competed well with them," Herndon said. "We didn't take advantage of those two scoring opportunities, but we really didn't show much against the last two teams (either)."

The first scoring opportunity came with Michigan ahead 7-0 in the first quarter. Clements and the line drove from their 30-yard line to the Michigan 10.

On third and nine, Smith ran an off-tackle play that netted only two yards. Missed blocks were a big reason. It ended with a muffed field-goal attempt.

The second one was a bit harder to swallow. Down 21-0 with Houston at the Wolverines' three, running back Tommy Guy was forced to run wide right.

When the pursuit reached him, he fumbled into the end zone where the Wolverines recovered.

"We didn't get it done offensively," head coach Kim Helton said. "We weren't too good on the goal line. Twenty-one points wasn't enough to beat Michigan."

But it might be enough to put some fear into the upcoming Southwest Conference foes.