ALL WOMAN MANHOLE DIGS IN DEEP.

The sound is a dissonant noise, and it hits patrons the instant it flays from the speakers of the ratty club, a place all too appropriate for the grind of the band, Manhole.

A beaten-up guitar spills gravel into a cacophony of muddy bass and whooping drums. The heat of the equipment and bodies only punctuates the music’s urgency. The vocal is half-tuneful, half-wailing of the insane.

On this evening, as with many of the band’s shows, a flock of youths in front of the stage form a pit, bodies crashing into others to the rhythm of the dirge. The affair is scented by sweat and spilled beer.

A closer listen to the music reveals that this isn’t one more night of crotch-thrusting heavy metal coated in grunge, nor is it another aimless allegedly punk band churning out what is arguably pointless crap.

The song is about rape.

Manhole is all women.

Grown past the novelty and doubt from others about being "another stupid chick band," Houston-based Manhole has been infesting the local club scene for over two years with its combination of heavy sounds, fierce shows and politically and socially charged lyrics.

Gearing up for a show at Epstein's bar this Saturday, Manhole is quintessential punk, or rather what punk’s roots once were. Conscious, thoughtful and, of course, loud, the band has received praise from many quarters, but the best may be yet to come.

Manhole began in June 1991 when bassist Eev Rodriguez ran into musicians looking to form a female punk band. Despite apprehensions, Rodriguez–who was also manager for local legends the Bayou Pigs–joined, but had fellow initiates dropping out.

Vocalist Allison Gibson heard about the band and showed up to practices, however, and Manhole’s nucleus formed. With the addition of drummer D. Lavon in October of that year, the band’s frenzied performance pace picked up.

After various guitarists, Manhole eventually secured Chris Nine for the job. Lavon left the band for two years, during which time she headed to Europe, and returned late this spring in her previous capacity.

"When we first started, there were people who doubted us because they thought it was just another stupid chick band and people would watch us show our tits, wear tight skirts and shake our asses," Gibson said of the band’s beginnings. "We’re totally not that way, and as we were out there working, more bands began to respect us."

Getting respect, though, wasn’t easy. After feuds with a few other local acts, members resolved most of the conflicts, some of which allegedly stemmed from the band’s woman-dominated status.

"We used to get really defensive about all that," Rodriguez said. "Then we just went up to other bands and introduced ourselves and talked with them, hung out some and smoothed it out."

Perhaps the battles stem from professional jealousy. Manhole has built a reputation in the local and regional independent rock ‘n’ roll scene as a band that has grown and has played with the likes of indie rock greats Steel Pole Bathtub, Fugazi, Rev. Horton Heat and Nation of Ulysses as well as two different performances with L7.

The band got accolades from <I>MaximumRockNRoll<P> for its Direct Hit Records three-song 7-inch released last year ("Angry women pissed off and letting you know about it... filled me with a faith that punk is alive and well in 1993.") The band were also derisively tagged as "cock rock" by independent music bible <I>Flipside<P> for the same record and were referred to by <I>Public News<P> as "the world’s scariest band." The attention prompted Manhole to head for the studio for a full-length release.

However, recording has been plagued by studio problems and technical difficulties, band members said, and the eagerly-anticipated long player’s appearance this year seems unlikely. In addition to its current performance schedule, members said one of the top priorities is putting on record a sound they said has evolved.

"When we first started out, it was pretty much two- and three-chord punk, really simple stuff," Rodriguez said. "We’ve changed a lot in terms of the influences we have and how it’s incorporated in what we play."

Members noted that the lyrical material has become more personal. "We try to write about things other people are afraid to acknowledge," Gibson said. "We’ve become more comfortable about writing from an emotional level."

"I think we notice the change more than anyone," Nine said. "We live it."

*******************************************************

GRAND CANYON OFFERS BIG ADVENTURE AT IMAX ONCE AGAIN

by David Ochoa

The Wortham IMAX Theatre will start showing, <I>Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets<P>, Oct. 1. The film begins with a depiction of Native Americans living in the canyon about 4,000 years ago. At first, it looks like the beginning of a 'real' movie.

It then follows the detailed exploration of the Grand Canyon. Major John Wesley Powell, a one-armed Civil War veteran, and his crew fight to keep from drowning in the raging rapids while canoeing the 227 miles of the Colorado River. The narration is drawn from excerpts of Powell's journal. The journal describes their misfortunes and anxiety about the inevitable dangers that lay ahead.

Sometimes the camera takes the pilot's point of view, flying through the canyon or diving over a cliff. These "flying dives" are awesome things to behold.

This film also presents some of the many animals that inhabitant this geological spectacle. Cougars are one of them. Another is the tarantula, which appears on the screen about the size of a car.

<I>Grand Canyon<P> is a cross between a documentary and an action-packed adventure. But it is a learning adventure, not an "AstroWorld" flick.

This film might have included more flying dives to add a bit more 'grand' to the <I>Grand Canyon<P>. The camera does show the enough of the canyon to reveal the wonderment in all eyes riveted upon it. This film is indeed a great experience!

<I>Grand Canyon: The Hidden Secrets<P> was created by Keith Merrill. For more information or to make reservations call the Wortham IMAX Theatre at 639-4629.

GET HIGH ON A DOSE OF DAZED

by Melissa Brady

Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" opens up the film, as it pumps through the speakers of an orange early '70s muscle car that is turning, ever so slowly, into a small Texas high school parking lot.

The girl in the back seat (Milla Jovovich) of the car is rolling the first of approximately 20 joints seen and smoked in the new Richard Linklater film. The film, like the opening scene, is historically cult like.

<I> Dazed and Confused<P> is the follow up film to Richard Linklater's first film, the Austin cult classic <I>Slacker<P>. It takes you on a long slow ride through a past daze haze.

Written and directed by Linklater, the film depicts life of high school juniors and freshman in 1976 over an 18-hour period, laced with love beads, fringe, bongs, bell bottoms, eyelash curlers, feathered hair, and lots of wonder-rhyming and rule-breaking.

Go back to a time when drunk mothers didn't try to sober you up, latex-free sex wasn't precarious, ganja was $15 an ounce, big cars and anatomy went hand in hand, (they <I>couldn't<P> anymore), and when both parents were married and had big hair.

Now you are mentally open to May 26, 1976: the last day of school for a beer-thirsty bunch of characters, hungry for the first bell of freedom.

The film begins at the high school as if to give basis for the acts of rebellion performed by characters like Pink (Jason London), Slater (Rory Cochrane), Pickford (Shawn Andrews), Mike (Adam Goldberg), Tony (Anthony Rapp), Jodi (Michelle Burk), Kaye (Christina Harnes), and Shavonne (Deena Martin).

Several notable acts of high school deviance take place in the shop class, where the students are making wooden bongs and paddles as the instructor visits dreamland.

The wooden paddles have a special purpose in the film, which will remain undisclosed, although realize that hazing was alive and well in the 1970s. The use of the bongs is self-explanatory.

In addition, a symbolic confrontation takes place on the football front between the pillars of philosophical knowledge in the athletic department, and the prize winning hippie quarterback, Pink.

The athletic department wants the players to sign an agreement for the fall semester that prohibits all drug use, alcohol consumption and sex after midnight on school days. Eventually Pink has to make his own decisions about not only football but the direction of his life.

At the local junior high, Mitch (Wiley Wiggins), Tommy (Mark Vandermeulen), Carl (Esteban Powell),Hirshfelder (Jeremy Fox) add anchors to the unknown high school experience and lots of comic relief.

The character of Mitch has an uncommon style, not only can he charm the women and drink beer with the big boys in lieu of his innocence, he is also a damn fine bowler.

Mitch is also a popular target for the juniors' initiation passage, due to his great pitching abilities on the baseball team, and his sultry older sister who gives bad advice.

The film takes us along an evening of car cruising, drive-in meat dispensers, lots of pot smoke (a joint for every occasion), talks with sluts, an ever-so-cool emporium, running wild with foozeball frenzying, poetic justice, redheads and ACLU talks, and climaxing in <I>the<P> party beer bust at the Moon Tower.

The party allows the audience to see yet another intellectual side of Slater, who has very valid theories about Martha Washington. "Martha was the coolest, man," he says. "George would come home from a hard day's work and she'd have a bowl loaded and ready for him when he walked in. That's one good woman."

Most all of the characters develop to new levels in this, the culmination, of the day's events for the group of high school students. There is even a fight scene–you gotta love that.

The Moon Tower scene has wonderful usage of the slow-motion camera, which accentuates characters like Mitch, Michelle, Jodi, Mike, and Pink.

Without explaining the final scenes of the film, it is only to be said that the most honest and real decisions are gloriously realized.

Linklater has spouted lines and created images to be cherished. As for the audience, well they couldn't be more happy -- even hours later when all of the symbolism sits in. And when it does, the audience will be jonesing for a midnight show flashback with a hairy bud.

FRESHMEN FIND FACILITATORS, FRIENDS

Students who are thoroughly confused with UH and its campus have an opportunity to become familiar with their new surroundings, as well as meet new people.

After meeting their mentors at Tuesday's Connection Session, "mentees" enrolled in the EXCEL Mentor Program began to understand the workings of their new university.

The mentor program, established in 1988, is a way for new students to meet a returning student or faculty/staff member who can answer questions and offer guidance on a personal basis.

"The program allows new students to get acquainted with someone who knows the university," said Assistant Dean of Students Myra Conley.

"We think the program can provide academic and personal success for the mentee and personal satisfaction for the mentor," said William Munson, dean of students.

Freshman Andrea Frazier said she hopes to find success through the program.

"I thought I would need help in meeting people and learning the system," Frazier said. "UH is like a mini-city."

Frazier's mentor, Angie Milner, said she plans to help her new mentee through weekly phone calls and introducing her to university life.

"It only takes about an hour a week. I'll make sure if she has questions, maybe regarding professors or study skills or time management, I can help her with them," Milner said.

BUDGET CUTS COSTLY FOR STUDENTS

by Rivka Gerwirtz

Budget cuts enforced by the state have caused UH colleges to "pass the buck" by requiring students to purchase class syllabi, instead of receiving them for free.

In the face of an $8.5 million loss in state funds, some UH colleges have been forced to cutback in copy spending and long distance telephone use. Students have had to pay up to $2 for syllabi that have in the past been given out free.

UH's copy center is owned by the Barnes and Noble company, which also runs the bookstore. Amy Barnes, director of copywriting for the UH Bookstore, said that the store sells about 150 class packets.

"About 75 percent of these packets have syllabi in them. Only about seven of them are just a syllabus," said Barnes.

With academic departments facing a $2.2 million loss this year, more colleges and departments may feel forced to sell their syllabi in the future. The School of Communication is one of the schools that asked one professor to sell his syllabus.

"We were cut $45,000. We are forced to cut down on copy usage and telephone usage. If we did it on our own machine it would cost much more than the copy center. We did it the cheapest way we could for students," said Dr. Robert Musburger, chair of the School of Communication.

Musburger went on to say that each student having to pay one dollar is easier than a department putting out $300.

"Students are going to be paying more and more because of the legislature. If your parents don't pay it in taxes, you will end up spending it here," he said.

Other classes selling syllabi are mostly in philosophy and natural sciences.

Many students said they feel they pay enough in tuition that they shouldn't have to spend even more money.

"Not only did we recently receive tuition hikes, but I paid close to $300 in books and supplies this semester," said Carmen Allen a junior ceramics major.

She added that students pay enough in fees to "receive a syllabus and a whole lot more."

NAFTA ECOMONIC GAINS WORTH THE GAMBLE

by Sean Paul Kelley

The potential that NAFTA presents to American economic interests is poorly understood by those who have the most to gain from its implementation. Fifty percent of the American public knows absolutely nothing about the benefits this treaty will bring.

Can anyone doubt the logic of a single market that includes an entire continent, 370 million people, a gross domestic product of $6 trillion and represents an opportunity for America to reassert its economic supremacy in a world racked by low-growth, high debt, and closing markets? Only those who stand to gain from the status quo.

Several benefits to the American consumer, yet obfuscated by partisan rhetoric from Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell and Rep. Dick Gephardt, stand to be lost -- with Texas taking the biggest punch. First priority should be given to educating the American public about the benefits they will receive from NAFTA.

Jobs appear to be our No. 1 concern but experts state that for every $1 billion in exports from the United States 20,000 jobs are created. With 70 percent of all exports to Mexico either originating in- or passing through Texas, the potential gains to our job-starved state are enormous. Texas can be on the economic cutting edge of the 21st century.

Yet the cries of labor displacement, job flight to Mexico, and the ever "big sucking sound," continue unabated. But nothing stops U.S. companies from exporting jobs to Mexico right now. The link between job flight and NAFTA is based upon faulty logic. The United States' $6 billion surplus with Mexico is proof positive that we stand to benefit. It can also be used to counter Japan, which refuses to open its markets to us. We don't need the Japanese economy as much as they need ours. With their export-driven economy constricting and a loss of market share in America, they will be forced to "play fair."

Another iniquitous murmur arising from the partisan camp, and determined to bring about the complete liquidation of NAFTA, is the cry of "environmental devastation." The Bush administration's uncanny prescience sought to pre-empt any interference from this neo-socialist group by making NAFTA the first trade agreement to <I>ever<P> address environmental concerns.

Several pages of the treaty document are dedicated to environmental concerns such as border dumping and internal Mexican pollution. But recent action by a Federal Court threatens to nullify the environmental codicil left by the Bush administration. And because Clinton lacks any backbone he will abide by this ruling, avoid a Supreme Court appeal and achieve certain victory for NAFTA and America.

The crux of the problem is Clinton's alliance with organized labor and environmental alarmists; an alliance designed to ruin the treaty in the name of economic security. What these two interest groups fail to grasp is that their agenda may wreck a treaty with a nation who is one of our <I>best<P> trading partners What kind of economic sense does that make? Little, if any.

It also makes poor social sense because the healthier Mexico's economy is, the lower their emigration rate. Our state's welfare rolls and education costs increase in proportion to the number of illegal immigrants, and any remedy that alleviates the strain on our state budget is a good one. NAFTA not only makes sense, it's necessary.

Overall relations with Mexico would suffer too. The defeat of NAFTA in Congress would be seen as an arrogant gringo rebuff to a decade of reform in Mexico. PRI and President Gortari's attempt to emulate the American economy has its enemies and the defeat of this treaty may wreck current reforms. America's actions toward its southern neighbor have often been less than friendly, and there are many in Mexico who relish any opportunity to remind their constituents of the past.

The challenge to America is clear: Put your economic house in order or face ruin. By pushing aside the NAFTA rhetoric and viewing free-trade in the long run, the view becomes less than pleasant. For too long America's export-driven industries have focused policy upon Japan the industrialized nations of Europe.

These are the markets least likely to promote American economic growth. There is no discussion of an alternative in the policy councils. To many, Mexico is and will remain a third world nation, our poor, problem-causing neighbor. But the NIE's (Newly Industrializing Economies) of the third world, such as Mexico, present America with its greatest opportunities.

In order to seize these riches America must take risks by opening markets for their exports. How else will they acquire dollars to buy American goods? Economies that grow at 8-10 percent a year such as Mexico, Malaysia, Argentina, Chile, and Singapore prove that their willingness to import American goods is greater than those of Europe whose economies grow at a mere 3 percent annually. Policy-makers must realize this and stop chasing ghosts: Europe and Japan don't want to help us.

The seldom discussed fringe benefits of free trade encourage democracy and human rights, values sacred to the American public. And it should be America's goal to seek these whenever possible. Economic liberalism has changed the world in the last 150 years and will continue to do so in the future.

It is in America's best interest to pursue freer policies, reverting to protectionism and strict penalties only when a global or regional balance is threatened.

The consequences of economic nationalism are grave. Prior attempts at isolationism and protectionism brought ruin to this nation: the Great Depression is the finest example. The demagogues have yet to learn what higher purpose free trade serves. As a significant pillar of American foreign policy for almost 50 years, it crushed the Soviet monolith; its antithesis might well crush us.

STUDENTS FIND DEGREES NOT PEFECT FOR INSTANT CAREER

by Ambir Davis

A flowing graduation robe, cap and tassel signify a much anticipated end to years of hard work. Graduates are full of hope and anticipation for the bright future that lays ahead. Unexpected is the harsh reality many will encounter.

Not unlike other recent graduates, Claudio Bertamini, a UH alumnus, received a healthy dose of reality searching for a job.

Bertamini, 25, received a Bachelor of Science in economics and political science last May. However, he is discovering how difficult it is to find a job despite having two degrees.

As Bertamini sits up in his chair and straightens his jacket, his posture hints that he is confident and ready to tackle any task put before him.

So why does a competent individual such as Bertamini have difficulty finding a job?

Bertamini said the reason is poor planning.

"I didn't give (a job search) much thought until it was forced upon me," he said.

"I know I made a mistake in not deciding what I wanted to do while I was in school. If you start looking (while you're a student) you can be more selective."

Bertamini said he was one, among many students, who immersed himself in student life, becoming oblivious to the real world and the transitions he'd be expected to make.

It's neither lack of qualifications nor ambition that's holding this alumnus back. In addition to his two degrees, he is fluent in Spanish, English and Italian. Even though Bertamini would be an asset to any company, he remains jobless.

Determined, Bertamini continues to explore all avenues.

"In the beginning, I searched the newspapers," he said. "I found that these jobs are either for the general public, or for professionals with years of experience."

For a new approach, Bertamini said he was networking and using acquaintances for job leads. He's also registered at the Texas Employment Commission (TEC) and has given his resume to a referral service.

After listening to Bertamini's qualifications and predicament, Robin Whiting, a counselor at TEC, said she wasn't surprised at his situation.

"There are a lot more people, who have degrees, who are out there looking for work," she said.

The sooner students circulate their resumes and begin networking the better they will be, Whiting said.

"One major problem is the amount of people getting degrees," she said.

"Now it is equally important to have experience. I would encourage students to get internships or work during the summer."

After an interview, students shouldn't forget to follow up, she said.

"If you have an interview and it goes well, don't sit back and wait for it to happen," she said. "There could be someone else with more experience competing for the same position." A little assertiveness, she suggests, might get the job.

Students shouldn't be discouraged if they don't get the job because at least they got interview experience and a chance to perfect their answers, Whiting said.

COACH HELTON DEMOTES ROBERTSON

Coach Kim Helton named linebackers coach Gene Smith as the new defensive coordinator Tuesday, replacing Melvin Robertson.

Robertson, who will retain his duties as secondary coach, was promoted to defensive coordinator in 1992 by John Jenkins.

"This is a very tough decision for me to make," Helton said. "It is something that I slept on for a long time during the open week and during the Michigan game."

Smith, the Birmingham Fire defensive coordinator in the World League of American Football in 1992, will continue coaching the linebackers.

VENGEFUL VOLLEYBALL SQUAD AWAITS LONGHORNS

by Michelle Morgan

The Houston volleyball team hopes to give Texas a long overdue taste of their own medicine tonight in their first Southwest Conference match at home.

The Longhorns ended last season with a 9-1 record and the SWC Championship title at Hofheinz Pavilion, denying the title to the Cougars by a single point.

So for some, this isn't just the home opener of another season, it's time to get even.

"This game means revenge," said Lilly Denoon. "We came so close last year. We have a point to prove. The others don't know how important this is for us (the returning players)." The Longhorns (9-1) got an early start defending the 1993 title, defeating Texas A&M at the Rec Sports Center in Austin Sept. 15 in three matches -- 15-7, 15-8 and 15-11.

Last season's SWC player of the year Katy Jameyson had an impressive night with seven kills and 12 digs in the three matches. She is second on the team with 103 kills.

Samy Duarte leads the team with 112 kills and could well be a sore spot in the Cougars offense.

"I don't feel any player is a threat, every team has a good player," Denoon said. "Any team can win on any given day."

Top returnees are middle blocker Jameyson, setter Heather Pfluger, outside hitter Holly Graham, outside hitter Durante and outside hitter/middle blocker Angie Breitenfield.

Top newcomers are middle blocker Sonya Barnes, setter/outside hitter Tammy Juergens and middle blocker Holly Richards.

Getting back from Baylor on Sunday, the Cougars have had two days to prepare for the ultimate "grudge" match of the season.

"We're just going to come out and practice and be ready to play," Denoon said.

Said head coach Bill Walton: "UT is well-disciplined. They do the same thing all the time, and they do it well. They force you to adjust to their system."

The Longhorns hold a 28-13 edge against the Cougars in SWC play, which also adds fuel to the fire.

"We plan to take advantage of their defense. They run what I call a 'bread and butter' defense, which splits the block. We have to counter attack this," Walton said.

"They'll probably come in not totally fired up because in the back of their mind, whether consciously or subconsciously, they're thinking we're a young team and are looking at our record," said Ashley Mulkey.

The Cougars record stands at 10-3. They hope this game will be a turning point for the team.

"We've played everybody closely. We just have to learn how to finish. We have enough weapons; hopefully Texas will be the tool that teaches us to win," said Walton.

HARD-HITTING WILLIAMS MAKING NAME FOR HIMSELF IN SECONDARY

At the beginning of the season, Cougar football coaches said they believed the strongest part of the defense was the secondary.

Cornerbacks John H. and John W. Brown and free safety Donald Douglas were mentioned as the top defensive backfield standouts.

Ironically, the player in the secondary who has played the best so far this year has been the only one who wasn't given any recognition during the preseason.

Sophomore strong safety Gerome Williams has gone above and beyond the call of duty for the Cougars. He is third on the team in tackles with 25.

But he does admit that the absence of pressure has not had anything to do with his ability to stay focused this year.

"I go out there every week and play the best I can," Williams says. "When I'm out there I don't worry about anything else."

Through the first three games this year, however, the secondary has not played as well as expected. Both Browns have been hobbled with injuries and Douglas is still trying to learn his new position after being moved from quarterback.

Nevertheless, Williams says he remains optimistic about the rest of the season.

"I strongly believe that if we all can get healthy and work together, we'll be able to get a win," he said.

Williams came to Houston after an impressive high school career at Kempner High.

The 1991 graduate was a first team All-District 24-4A and all-Greater Houston choice and his team's defensive most valuable player as a senior.

Probably his greatest accomplishment that year, however, was establishing a state record for an interception return when he ran 102 yards for a score.

After redshirting in 1991, Williams started six games for the Cougars last season, finishing fifth on the team in tackles with 57.

Williams hopes that his secondary and the rest of the Cougars defense can regroup in a big way, because their Southwest Conference season opens Saturday against the Baylor Bears.

"We've struggled greatly this year, and we really haven't played our best. But I promise, we'll get it done," Williams says.

Head coach, Kim Helton agrees.

"Though we are 0-3, a win against Baylor will only mean one thing: we'll have a chance to win the conference because we'd be undefeated," he said.

QB CLEMENTS' PERFORMANCE SHOULDN'T GO UNREWARDED

One quarterback's job hangs in the balance.

And rightfully so.

Redshirt freshman Chuck Clements, who after six quarters-plus of some impressive passing, has put regular starting quarterback Jimmy Klingler's job in jeopardy.

"If I were grading Chuck right now on a freshman level, I'd give him an 'A'," head coach Kim Helton said.

So far, that 'A' has been for excellence.

Since replacing Klingler, Clements has completed 44-of-69 passes for 435 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in less than two games.

Clements followed an 0-for-4 performance at Southern California with a stellar 19-of-29 performance in the second half of the Cougars' 38-24 loss to Tulsa. Clements hoped to pick up where he left off in his first-ever collegiate start.

And this time he was better.

Clements tore up the No. 8 Wolverine defense last Saturday by completing 25-of-40 passes for 276 yards and two touchdowns in a game the Cougars lost 42-21.

Nevertheless, the new found success in Houston's passing attack has prompted Helton to take a closer look at who should really be leading the offense for the rest of the season.

"I would like to think that we just have two good quarterbacks and not a controversy," Helton said.

The bet is that the starter should be Clements.

No offense to Klingler, but the numbers show that Clements is having the better season thus far.

Although numbers don't always tell the whole story, there are other aspects in his game that prove Clements is actually "better" than Klingler.

No. 1: Clements is cool under pressure. His approach to the game is just the way a young Joe Montana approached a game with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Even more impressive was that Clements showed this poise in his first collegiate start.

Clements was basically thrown to the wolves--as in Wolverines--when he was asked to start in Michigan. Clements calmly stood up to the task and tore up the Wolverine defense.

If common sense comes into play, one would think that Clements can only get better. That's scary if you're his opponent.

This is something Klingler doesn't have. His key interception against Texas A&M last season (a 38-30 Cougars' loss) proves that.

No. 2: Clements' accuracy is far better than Klingler's. Clements has a completion percentage of .603 and Klingler's is .509.

So while numbers don't tell the whole story, they do prove that Clements has better pass selection and can see the field better in terms of finding the open receiver down field.

Klingler or Clements?

No one knows for sure, but if Clements continues to impress, a ''controversy'' will be in the works.

KLINGLER'S EXPERIENCE UNMATCHED BY FRESHMAN BACKUP

It's Jimmy's job to lose.

That's what Houston coach Kim Helton is saying about Jimmy Klingler, who suddenly finds himself mired in a quarterback controversy with Chuck Clements.

This <I>deja vu<P> tale, which resembles the New York Giants' Phil Simms—Jeff Hostetler controversy in 1991 when Simms was demoted after recovering from an injury in favor of a red-hot Hostetler, began when Klingler went down with an ankle injury in the second half of the Sept. 11 Tulsa game.

It heated up when Clements posted a respectable second half and last Saturday mowed down the Michigan secondary for 276 yards and two touchdowns.

It reached the boiling point when Helton indicated his willingness to make the quarterback switch.

"If Jimmy can play like Jimmy can play, Jimmy will be the quarterback," he said. "If Jimmy plays less, it will be Chuck. That's not controversy, that's just matter-of-fact."

If Klingler is healthy, he can play. He showed his ability to move the offense against Tulsa, completing 12-of-21 passes for 136 yards before his injury sidelined him.

Klingler was ineffective (15-of-32, 115 yards, one touchdown) in the Cougars' opening 49-7 loss to Southern Cal, but that was because of the lack of a running game. Lamar Smith carried the ball 17 times for only 51 yards.

During Klingler's stint against Tulsa, Smith carried for 29 yards in 10 tries in the first half, which guaranteed the Golden Hurricane defense would be looking for the pass. Klingler still managed to complete better than 50 percent of his passes.

Clements benefitted from Smith's 119 yards rushing in Michigan Stadium, which opened the passing lanes once the ground game was established.

The one thing Clements lacks that Klingler oozes is experience. Klingler has started 10 games and played in 14. He amassed 3,818 yards and 32 touchdowns last season behind an experienced offensive line that allowed only 30 sacks, down from the 52 sacks given up in 1991.

Klingler's 3-7 record as a starter is misleading. In 1992, the highly rated Texas A&M defense was on the receiving end of an expected Jimmy day -- 488 yards passing and three touchdowns.

Houston lost 38-30, but 30 points on any given day should be enough to win ball games.

Klingler knows what he is capable of, which in turn breeds confidence.

"I don't think there's a controversy," said Klingler, a junior from Stratford. "I'm the starter. I don't think that's changed, but I don't make that decision.

"I want to play, but whatever's best for the team is the decision I can live with."

"Both of our quarterbacks are good," Smith said. "Experience helps with everything. He's (Klingler) got experience over Chuck. It can be an edge."

Enough said.

LASER ROCK SPACEY THRILLS

An envelope of sound; an explosion of lights; the feeling of being lost in the cosmos -- all apt descriptions for the sensations produced by the Laser Rock show at the Burke Baker Planetarium.

The Digistar Starfield Projector throws a stellar system across the 50-foot planetarium roof creating the backdrop for the myriad laser images displayed throughout the performance.

The laser generated images accompanying the music give viewers the illusion of being inside the message the songs offer.

The relaxing configuration of the planetarium chairs enhances the sensations the laser effects evoke. Be forewarned, however, those of you with weak stomachs may want to close your eyes during the wormhole free-fall segment.

The absolute highlight of the show is the laser spiral. During the Pink Floyd song "Breathe," the packed planetarium audience fairly reeled in their cushioned seats. This effect gives the audience the feeling of careening through the universe toward infinity.

A tremendous feeling of euphoria comes during Pink Floyd's song "Eclipse." The images flung across the ceiling propel the viewer through the inside of a man's body -- constructed by a linkage of the constellations -- then out of his eye sockets.

Putting aside the peaceful feelings of the Pink Floyd show, for the moment, the opening Aerosmith presentation kick-starts your adrenals straight into overdrive.

During "Love in an Elevator" the laser images dance so recklessly across the ceiling that anyone's pulse would immediately accelerate.

Augmenting the increased heart rate, a person could go into sensory overload as they try to keep up with the phantasm of visual effects on display.

All these effects are created through the combination of the Digistar Starfield Projector, which was used to create the warp-drive visual in the Star Trek movie,<I>The Wrath of Khan<P>, and the lasers.

Laser light (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation), is produced by sending an electrical current through argon, helium or neon gas, which produces an intense beam of coherent light of a single color.

Ryan Wyatt, the planetarium's director, said these gases -- termed noble gases (chemically inert) -- are best suited for these types of lasers because others run the risk of igniting and causing a fire.

The electrical current excites electrons in the gas stimulating the release of photons (discrete packages of light). The release of the photons results in a burst of light that is further amplified with mirrors and focused into an intense, narrow beam.

"The combination of these two machines has really helped to provide a spectacular show. It is a lot better than the old laser shows," said Wyatt.

The laser show runs every Friday and Saturday night with Laser Beatles at 7 p.m., Laser Aerosmith at 8 p.m and 10 p.m. and Laser Floyd at 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. This schedule continues through Oct. 16.

Tickets are $5 per person and $3 for museum members.

ROSENQUIST BRINGS TOGETHER ALL FOR ART

by Paul T. Sacco

Lovers of pop art and stark impressionism will be pleased to know that the Blaffer Gallery is currently displaying a collection of James Rosenquist's 30-year creative assault on color and form.

The expansive exhibit is titled <I>James Rosenquist: Time Dust Complete Graphics 1962-1992<P> and is located on the first floor of the Fine Arts Building.

Essentially, the exhibit presents three artistic styles from Rosenquist's portfolio. The brightest, most colorful and perhaps his most powerful statements were his works from the 1960s.

He was a member of the Pop Art movement popularized by Andy Warhol. Rosenquist's work during that period is frequently regarded as "pushing the envelope" in terms of object scale and impressions of reality.

"Circles of Confusion" is particularly beguiling. Look closely and see if you can't make out the letters <I>GE<P> buried in the landscape.

The works of the 1970s showcase Rosenquist's extensive exploration of lithography. The decade was called, in some art circles, The American Lithography Movement. The exhibit includes several pieces that illuminate his artistic insights when manipulating color and space, among them <I>Mastaba<P>, <I>Black Pyramid<P>, and <I>Chambers.

Rosenquist's efforts during the 1980s and early 1990s reflect his experiments using the cross-hatch technique.

He exercises this artistic discipline to the utmost by manipulating forms and objects that inherently have seemingly nothing in common -- then tying them together to introduce the general theme of his piece.

In simpler terms, Rosenquist takes objects from everyday life and weaves them in his artwork. In combination, these various objects illustrate the meaning, or theme, of his piece. Look for <I>The Kabuki Blushes<P>, which is among the best of his later works.

The Blaffer Gallery also offers a 30-minute film showing Rosenquist at work. It is titled <I>Welcome to the Water Planet<P>, which is coincidentally the title of one of his works.

The narration is evenhanded, without a hint of self-importance. The video is a especially gratifying for anyone with an interest in the artist's method.

The Blaffer Gallery is closed Monday, but is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. For further information call the Gallery at 743-9529.

SPEECH DISORDERS STRIKE BOTH CHILDREN AND ADULTS

It never fails when students are taking exams that some will forget a word or phrase that has been familiar to them for most of their lives. Forgetting words can also be a symptom of a communication disorder.

A person who's had a stroke, been involved in a serious car accident or experienced anything that may have damaged the left hemisphere of the brain may develop a speech problem. The Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic on campus treats individuals suffering from these problems.

The clinic, funded partially by the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast, provides therapy on a sliding fee scale. It also gives graduate students a place to train as communication pathologists and audiologists.

Graduate students are responsible for writing lesson plans, meeting with the patients and gathering baseline data for beginning clients, said Dr. Martin Adams, head of UH's Communication Disorders program.

Students also meet with their clinical supervisors once a week to get feedback on their performance and compare post therapy results to base line measures so they can document a patient's progress, Adams said.

Clinicians must have 350 contact hours with clients who have different types of speech problems which may have developed from environmental problems, childhood diseases or limited early communication experiences.

Adults seeking help from the clinic may have had a case of chronic laryngitis brought on by allergies and become complicated, said Kathy Ermgodts, a graduate student in the School of Communication.

"Perhaps they had a job where they overused their voice, such as teachers, coaches or something where you would talk a lot," she said. The clinic offers Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) services to help a child with a potential communication disorder. Children may have a problem producing a complete sentence or they may stutter, Adams said.

"One percent of the population ends up with a stuttering problem, which usually doesn't manifest itself until about the third year of life," Adams said.

Although most children at the clinic are between the ages of 3 and 7, a communication problem can be detected even before children say their first words, Adams said.

"Prior to learning to talk, infants go through a stage of babbling and cooing," said Adams. "Children who are born with severe hearing impairments will coo and start to babble, but babbling will decrease in frequency and will actually disappear unless there is some type of intervention."

During child therapy sessions, clinicians use board games, arts and crafts and computer games, and with adults, clinicians structure therapy around the lifestyle of the client, Ermgodts said.

"If they are having trouble reading, we may have them read menus or maps, things they can carry over in daily life," she said. "What the client does is as important as what the clinician does."

CONTEST OFFERS STUDENTS CHANCE TO GAIN EXPERIENCE

Student concern about the nation's complex social problems has increased to a level matching the late '60s.

According to a national poll of incoming freshmen, today's students are more concerned with social values than at any other time since 1967.

Further evidence of growing concern over social issues can be found in the profusion of new student service organizations as well as in a marked resurgence in established service programs.

For example, after hitting a low of 10,300 applications in 1987, the Peace Corps has recently seen an increase in volunteers of more than 50 percent.

Along with increased interest in social issues, new college graduates also face one of the most uncertain job markets in history.

Aware that simply earning a degree no longer guarantees a career, many students want to improve their chances at a good job by gaining work experience before graduation.

Recognizing these dual student needs, the Jostens Foundation and Campus Outreach Opportunity League have teamed up to launch <P>The Big Idea<P> a new national grant competition on campuses across the United States.

<P>The Big Idea<P> will award ten $2,000 grants to students who submit winning proposals for community service projects.

The program has a few unique twists. Students must propose a project that is closely tied to their major and career objectives.

The experience gained in developing and implementing such a project will go a long way in building resumes. Projects will be selected based on their ability to significantly address community issues as well as to be replicated by peers at other campuses nationwide.

The Jostens Foundation will publish and distribute a booklet featuring summaries of the 10 winning projects to promote replication as this dynamic grant program expands.

Application brochures are available through the COOL network and on campuses nationwide by representatives from Jostens College Ring Division.

Completed applications are due Nov. 19, and winners will be notified by Jan. 21.

Anyone interested should call 1-800-433-5184.

CLINTON'S HEALTH CARE PLAN AFFECTS STUDENTS

by Emmanuel Chukwu

The health care coverage for Americans proposed by President Clinton is one of the hottest issues currently on the White House menu. Don't expect to see broccoli, rather, you will be seeing Clinton's sketchy health care plan with public delight and anger to go with it.

The health insurance package was designed to give about 37 million uninsured Americans and legal residents a limited sense of health security even if they lose their jobs.

A break-down of the package reveals an item some called "preventative medicine." It will benefit the elder, the poor and workers more. Under this program, the elderly will receive both Medicaid and paid prescriptions. The poor will be covered almost 100 percent. Workers will be mandated to insure their uninsured employees. Those who are already insured may pay more depending on their income.

Employer concern is unfounded and without basis, said economics Professor Thomas DeGregori. He said there is a movement now in industries to create part-time rather than full-time jobs to avoid having to pay insurance for full-time employees.

The consequence of this movement, said DeGregori, is a huge pull of second-class citizens will be used part-time and disposed of when they are no longer needed. "This is not a good way to run a modern economy. Other countries are investing in their people in terms of training, health care and high quality labor force," he said.

The program is a cost-sharing one whereby employers with 50 or more employees will pay more insurance premium. Those with less than 50 employees will wind up paying less.

DeGregori said a part-time job is "a disposable labor force" that is counter-productive in terms of job and educational security of both students, their parents in particular and the rest of the country in general.

According to a World Bank study, countries with per capita of $6,000 or greater, with more involvement of government in their citizens' health care system, have the most work efficiency, longer life expectancy and less infant mortality rates than others.

The new plan may be modeled after the current Canadian health care program. Clinton's response to a clarion call from the silence majority who elected him may be part of the reason cited.

Other items in the health care plan include:

*Guaranteed insurance to both citizens and legal U.S. residents will be affordable

*Those insured will be issued cards to make it easy for instant electronic processing in order to eliminate bureaucratic bottlenecks

*Retirees will pay 20 percent of their premium while the government pays the rest

*There will be a fixed deduction and co-payment

*The pre-existing insurance will remain the same

For many, this is a double-edged sword. It may benefit some while throwing painful punches at others. A recent Daily Cougar poll asked what this program will mean for an average student if it is approved. There were mixed emotions and reactions from the students on both sides of the issue. Some think it is a good idea while others have a different opinion. Logan Wilson, a junior, liked the program but had some reservations. He said the success of the program largely depended on how successfully it is programmed and implemented. "It sounds like a good idea and may only if the overall plans and stratagem is properly handled," Logan cautioned.

Freshman Michelle Mantaneles echoed the White House position. She hailed the program saying that the program "is good for those who cannot afford it."

Miguel Segovia, a sophomore, said the program is a good idea if it's tailored well to serve the needs of the people.

However, Chris Catechis, a junior, has a different opinion. He warned that the program may fail miserably if small business communities are made to bear the burden of such a huge and expensive project. He advised that government should make it possible for people to sue for redress of any grievances so as to make the operators of this program more accountable.

He contends that theoretically, the government is making it sound like a good idea but practically it is simply going to "be lucked up in a giant bureaucratic mess" like any other programs Uncle Sam is currently handling.

Parnez Mohabbat, a senior who is also an employer, feared that the program would put him out of business fast. "I have staff strength of about 13 full-time workers without any form of insurance but I pay them good wages," he said. "Under this program," he continued, "I will be mandated to provide them with insurance coverage which I can't afford."

He lamented that as the only viable alternative he must be forced to choose if he decides to retain his employees is to cut their wages and seal off future emplacements.

Aaron Moralls praised the idea if it would not affect all part- or full-time jobs that he described back-bone for independent students. He remains concerned especially what the program would mean for his father's small business. "The success of my father's business ultimately determines the future of my education," he said.