WINLESS COUGARS TO HOST BEAR

As the Houston Cougars prepare to open their Southwest Conference season against the Baylor Bears, the "New Beginning" motto may want to be changed to "Getting a Second Chance."

The 0-3 Cougars open conference play Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. in the Astrodome.

"Beating Baylor would only mean one thing: We'd have a chance to win conference because we'd be undefeated," said head coach Kim Helton.

Now that the Cougars are starting to show some life on offense after last weekend's contest with the Michigan Wolverines, they may continue to improve against a somewhat weak Bears' defense.

"Our defense is ranked about 102 in the nation," said Baylor head coach Chuck Reedy. "Our goal right now is just to get into double digits."

The Bears are giving up an average of 33.5 points a game even though they have an impressive 3-1 record to show for it.

"We're very fortunate to be 3-1," Reedy says. "Even though I thought we'd be better, we're really not a good football team."

The Cougars are also having some defensive problems of their own, as has been the case all season. So, Saturday's game could turn into a shootout even though Reedy doesn't foresee a slugfest.

"I don't think it'll be high-scoring," he said. "It'll probably be within the 20-30 range."

The quarterback battle that is going on for Houston between Jimmy Klingler and Chuck Clements has still yet to be decided. Helton has said that he should name a starter sometime this afternoon.

But that doesn't matter to Reedy.

"They're both very prolific passers," he said. "It doesn't matter who they start. It's going to be tough for us to stop either one of them."

*******************************************************

WRITERS EDUCATE STUDENTS TO FIGHT BOOK CENSORSHIP

by shane patrick boyle

Surprise was the most frequent reaction to the books included in the Writers And Artists Group At UH's banned books display in the University Center Thursday.

"Half of what I own is on the banned books list," said Rob Huebschmann, a freshman English major.

Patricia Christmas, a sophomore history major, said she knew books like <I>The Catcher in the Rye<P>, and <I>Huckleberry Finn<P> had been banned in various schools, but she said "<I>A Wrinkle In Time<P> was a real surprise, because Madeleine L'Engle (the author) is a Christian theologian."

Phillip Norlund, a graduate student in geosciences said he found it laughable that "John Steinbeck's <I>The Red Pony<P> was labeled as a filthy sex novel."

Norlund is from England, and was living there when the death sentence was issued against Salman Rushdie.

"Everybody thought it was a joke at first, but then Yusef Islam (known as Cat Stevens before his conversation to Islam) went on TV encouraging people to kill him," said Norlund. He said windows were broken at many stores that carried the book.

Norlund added that, in general, England does not have as much censorship as the United States.

He said the British government did try to censor a movie about the death sentence being carried out, but rescinded the ban after Rushdie denounced it.

"Books are banned basically because of fear," said Darek Brzeski, a sophomore anthropology major. "(Censors) should let the market decide. If a book isn't good, it won't sell."

Micheal Dimichele, an undeclared freshman said that "there should be some restrictions (on books with explicit sex and violence), but not in a university or adult section of a public library." He said that anyone over 16 should have access.

This is the fourth year Banned Book Week at UH has been observed with a display, and the second year it has been sponsored by WAAGAUH.

FACULTY SALARIES--MEDIAN RARE

UH President James Pickering has presented eight goals for the second stage of reshaping. One objective is geared to providing a better reward system for faculty.

While Pickering said last week that the university would not be able to meet the faculty senate's request for a median salary comparable to the rest of the nation, he said he does believe that professors should not have to get the "short-end of the stick" at the university.

"I asked the provost and the deans and the appropriate councils to come up with an instrument that really does evaluate teaching in a way in which teaching can ultimately be integrated and feasible and long-lasting in a credible way with a reward system," said Pickering.

Monetary rewards for professors' research and outstanding teaching are known as merit raises. Faculty senate President-elect Ernst Leiss said that right now there are only "extraordinary rewards."

"In the past there were merit raises, now there are just across the board raises. That just keeps the status quo," said Leiss.

Leiss added that he believes performance funding, a formula in which the state legislature appropriates money according to university achievement, is the incentive for the administration's drive towards examining the reward system.

"If we look better than anyone else, than we get more money," said Leiss.

President of the Faculty Senate George Reiter said that he is against merit raises, but that he appreciates Pickering's motives.

"We have to begin recognizing people who are doing good teaching," said Reiter. He added that Pickering was "shifting institutional culture" by putting great emphasis on the value of good teaching as well as research. He said that in the past some professors could be lousy teachers, but good researchers and still get promoted.

Leiss said the beginning of the examination process should start by defining what kind of work should be merited and what a good reward could be.

MONEY, TIME RUNNING OUT FOR M.D. ANDERSON LIBRARY

by Tammy Gamble

Funds that M.D. Anderson Library is using to purchase new books and furniture may be gone at the end of next year if UH administration does not start funding the library at the level recommended by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

The Student Library Fee began in the Fall 1992 semester as a fee initiated by the Students' Association. SA approved the semesterly $15 fee, which will total over $1 million for the 1993-94 year.

However, Coy Wheeler, speaker of the SA senate, said the fee was to be in effect for three years, giving UH administration time to increase the level of funding from 86.3 percent to 96 percent by the end of the 1993-94 academic year. The level was to rise to 100 percent after the 1994-95 academic year, Wheeler said.

"At that point, it would be up to the SA to continue funding. The fee was a way to get the library back on its feet," Wheeler said.

With this in mind, by May 1993, M.D. Anderson Library will see several new updated features, compliments of the nearly $2 million it received from the Library Technology Fee and the Student Library Fee.

Dana Rooks, assistant director for Library Administration, said the Library Technology Fee, which is $10 per semester, will bring in approximately $650,000 during the 1993-94 academic year, in addition to the $1 million received from the Student Library Fee.

A new on-line catalog system costing approximately $1.5 million will be purchased using Library Technology Fee funds. Money allocated to this fund for the next three years will be used to pay for the system which should be in place by May 1993, Rooks said.

"The new system will be an enormous improvement over the current system. Students will have access to other libraries catalogs, and the system will be faster with more searching capabilities," Rooks said. Library Administration is evaluating bids and hopes to have some action by the UH Board of Regents when they meet in February.

Between 75-80 percent of the Student Library Fee money will be used to buy new books -- a total of $775,000, Rooks said. The remaining money will be used to replace chairs and add new study carrels in the upper levels of the library.

"The new Electronic Publication Center combined with the major purchases of books will help the library tremendously," said Don Easterling who was instrumental in creating the library fee.

The EPC opened this past summer and offers students and faculty databases and indexes of publications including full text listings of the Houston Chronicle and the New York Times. "They can do all their research ... without getting up from their chairs," said Easterling.

SPB HAS TRASHY INTERESTS

Just taking out your own trash may seem a pain, but disposing of 3,000 pounds of garbage, that’s a real burden -- or is it?

Not for the Student Program Board. SPB has plans to collect over 3,000 pounds of recyclable refuse by October, 12, which has been named "Recycling Day."

"Every person I have spoken to who has done this type of thing said we will have no problem reaching this goal," said Rob Nugen, chairperson of the new homecoming event.

Recycling Day will take the place of last year's UH Blood Drive.

"Recycling Day will be more successful because more people can get involved, more so than the Blood Drive," Nugen said.

SPB members are collecting aluminum, cardboard, glass, paper and plastic products.

On Recycling Day, materials will be picked up by a company called Vista Fibers at 7 p.m.

The SPB will collect materials that day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Agnes Arnold esplanade. Volunteers will pick up materials collected by all UH departments.

"We are making it really easy for people to drop stuff off and to participate," said Nugen.