MENIL COURTS FINEST OF ART

by Eric J. Teltschik

The Menil Collection's latest display, <I>Art of the Persian Courts<P>, features masterpieces of Persian painting, many of which make their American debut as part of this collection, which runs through Jan. 2,

The 125—piece exhibition surveys Persian art from the 13th to 20th centuries, focusing primarily on the art of the scribe -- calligraphy, manuscript illumination, painting and drawing.

The pieces are not only objects of artistic beauty, they possess profound historical significance.

Stretching far beyond the borders of modern Iran, the ancient kingdom of Persia wielded powerful cultural and political influence in the region. As early as the 5th century, the influence of Persian artistic sensibilities was widespread.

The work, highly stylized and focused on the ideal, sheds light on the deeply spiritual, intensely creative world the Persians created. Together with architecture and poetry, the art of the scribe were the primary vehicles of artistic energy in the Persian world, inspiring patronage wherever Persian culture dominated.

Painstakingly intricate and strikingly brilliant, the art was patronized by Persian princes to express dynastic aspirations and to legitimize the ruling monarch.

The sultans of Persia employed staffs of highly-skilled calligraphers, painters and bookbinders whose sole purpose was creating these magnificent manuscripts. The artists, in turn, did not seek to portray a real world, rather, they created, through pose and perspective, an ideal world of beauty and perfection.

The display includes dozens of royal artifacts, among them: personal portraits, seals, decorative ceramic tile work, drinking implements and a strikingly dramatic battle helmet, to name a few.

<I>The Art of the Persian Courts<P> display was originally organized by Houstonian Abolala Soudavar and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, under supervision of William Lentz, curator. The exhibit is touring on loan from the Sackler Collection at the Free Museum in Washington, D.C.

The Menil collection is open Wed.—Sun., from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and admission is free. Call 525-9453 for more information.

*******************************************************

HOT-SEAT FOR HUTCHISON

by Emmanuel Chukwu

On June 5, 1993, Kay Bailey Hutchison became the first woman U.S. senator elected from Texas. She received 67 percent of vote to defeat opponent Bob Krueger in a hotly contested election.

Hutchison is also the first woman senator to be walloped with an eight-count indictment.

Hutchison faces two second-degree felony charges and a Class A misdemeanor charge for official misconduct, and two third-degree felony charges of tampering with government records and tampering with physical evidence.

According to Article 1, section 6 of the U.S. Constitution, Congress "shall in all cases, except treason, felony ... be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses ...."

Felony is defined as a crime greater than misdemeanor – aggravated assault, arson, bribery, burglary, embezzlement, forgery, kidnapping, larceny (grand), manslaughter, mayhem, murder, price-fixing, rape and robbery. Each felony offense carries a maximum punishment of more than one year in jail and/or appropriate fines if convicted.

The charges allege that from January 1991 through mid-1993, Hutchison "canceled, removed or otherwise impaired the availability of computer archive back-up tapes" for access on April 21, 1992. This episode allegedly took place a few days after it was revealed that Hutchison used state equipment (same computer) to raise funds for personal or political gains during her senatorial election. These back-up tapes (equipment) containing vital information about state finances and financial administration belong to the Texas Treasury Department.

The indictments:

•She ordered an employee of the department to destroy government records on or about April 1992. The value of destruction was put at $20,000

•On or about May 4, 1992, Hutchison destroyed and canceled State Treasury archive back-up tapes when she knew she was being investigated (by Travis County district attorney's office). She was being investigated about the use of state property and employees for the alleged destruction (of the aforementioned properties, etc.).

•Hutchison used state employees, facilities, equipment and supplies valued at $20,000 or more for her personal benefit. This offense was committed sometime between Jan. 2 and Dec. 31, 1992.

•An additional misdemeanor offense was alleged. The allegation was a violation of the state law by spending state funds for personal political purposes.

If convicted of all charges, she would face more than 60 years in prison and fines up to $43,000.

In a classroom discussion, Ken Wall, a law professor, noted that the biggest mistake Hutchison made was her uncooperative attitude toward Travis County investigators.

"It is easy to get away with a misdemeanor but very difficult to overcome the painful punches of a felony," Wall said.

"She needs to do whatever she can do to restore her political image or run the risk of being reduced to a political laughing stock," Wall said. "However, if she comes out clean, she may emerge stronger and politically invincible in the eyes of her political enemies," Wall added.

A political science professor who chooses to remain anonymous argued that this incident alone has clearly indicated that she has some form of skeletons in her closet.

Most students expressed similar feelings. Senior Chris Gott said the indictment is not politically motivated. He said that Republicans have a long history of political corruption, shredding official documents for cover-ups and Hutchison's case is no different. However, Gott said that she may "come out clean" despite all these stakes of alleged offenses against her. If she survives, Gott said, Hutchison can still be a viable political force to be reckoned with.

Stephanie Victor, a junior political science major, said that no matter what the outcome, her political reputation is badly hurt by this allegation. This is because people will henceforth be looking at her differently. Victor said that though the news is blown out of proportion, there might be legitimacy to the allegation which ought to be looked at.

Victor added that if Hutchison was a Democrat, these truck loads of allegations and countless charges could not have been unleashed against her. This is like saying "okay to Kay" when she was eating Adam's apple as a member of God's Angels, only to chock up her neck after she became a member of serpent swallowing the masticated apple, Victor said.

Junior Lee Mulliken agrees that the charges are not politically motivated since the initial whistle-blowers and the state investigators do not have anything in common.

When the indictments were handed down Sept. 27, Hutchison said she was innocent and called them "another chapter in the sleazy campaign tactics employed by the Democrats during the U.S. Senate campaign this year."

The Senate Select Committee on Ethics has not been called upon to investigate Hutchison. That panel could recommend that no action be taken, that she be expelled or that she be censured. Even if she was convicted, she would not automatically be barred from running for re-election next year.

Hutchison said she wants a quick trial and that she will, in fact, run for re-election.

HOMECOMING GETS RECYCLED

by Kenny McIntire

In an attempt to make UH more ecologically aware, the Student Program Board will sponsor Recycling Day during homecoming week.

Recycling Day Chairperson Rob Nugen said the goal is to collect 3,000 pounds of recyclable material.

Recycling Day is new to UH and is replacing the traditional Homecoming Week blood drive. "This year we want to include everyone in a community service. Recycling Day makes it easier because everyone can recycle," Nugen said.

The president of the Environmental Awareness Group, Janis Abel, said they want to encourage awareness about recycling and show how easy it is. The environmental group will be working in conjunction with the SPB to help unload recyclable material at the booth.

Team Earth was the only other type of group that had tried to inform students about recycling. Abel said she hopes we can increase the recycling that the whole university does.

Vista Fibers, a recycling company, is co-sponsoring the event and will collect all the materials at the end of the day. "They are not getting any money from the materials they collect, but we want to make their effort worth while by collecting 3,000 pounds of material," Rob Nugen said. Paper, plastic aluminum, soup cans, glass and old phone books will be accepted. All departments are encouraged to collect and separate these materials until Oct. 12, when it can be picked up. Individuals are also invited to add any materials they have collected.

Nugen said he expects support from the entire campus because Recycling Day is part of the homecoming festivities.

COUGARS GET DEFENSIVE, STUFF BEARS

For one game at least, the Houston defense looked in the mirror and saw pride staring back.

After giving up an average of 43 points a game in their first three outings, the Cougars found they had a gut to check in a 24-3 victory over the Baylor Bears Saturday in the Astrodome.

Two times Baylor had fourth and goal inside the Houston four. And two times they came away with nothing to show for it.

Not since the 1991 Copper Bowl in a 24-0 loss to Indiana had Baylor been held without a touchdown.

It was a different Houston defense that took the field, not so much in personnel changes but in the unit's attitude.

"We didn't make any major changes," said defensive coordinator Gene Smith. "Our players took it upon themselves to rise up."

Head coach Kim Helton, in an effort to shake up the defense, promoted Smith from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator Tuesday, replacing Melvin Robertson. Robertson continued his duties as secondary coach.

"I think Baylor was the No. 2 offensive team in the (Southwest) Conference, and (the defense) shut them down," Helton said. "We started hitting people. Our people realized you're supposed to hit the other guy. They never lost their poise."

With Houston up 17-3 in the third quarter, TiAndre Sanders fumbled on a run up the middle. Baylor linebacker Phillip Kent recovered the ball at the Houston 32, beginning what looked like another miracle second-half comeback for the Bears.

Fresno State, Utah State and Texas Tech all had leads going into the fourth quarter against Baylor, only to see those leads disappear behind the Bears' deficit reduction.

After the fumble, tailbacks Brandell Jackson and Robert Strait advanced Baylor to a first-and-goal at the Cougar three-yard line. Two failed runs later, quarterback J.J. Joe faked a toss and sped for the right corner of the end zone.

"They faked the toss sweep left and ran a bootleg right," said Houston linebacker Allen Aldridge, who had 16 tackles. "I got enough edge to turn him around, and some of my players helped me out."

Strong safety Gerome Williams was standing in the end zone when Joe fled to the corner with Aldridge in hot pursuit.

"I knew I had to come up right there and knock him (away) from the end zone," Williams said.

Joe dove for the end zone and Williams collided with him, sending Joe out of bounds a foot shy of the scoring plane.

On fourth and goal, Williams stuffed Jackson for no gain.

"The first time we made our goal- line stand, we surprised them," Aldridge said. "We surprised everybody."

Especially quarterback Jimmy Klingler.

"Sometimes offensively we didn't do much and left our defense in bad situations," he said. "They had some great goal-line stands."

The second stand allowed Bradford Lewis to the Houston two-yard line on fourth down but no farther, and Baylor's momentum was finally crushed.

The Bears (3-2 overall, 1-1 SWC) produced 274 yards on offense -- well below the 443.3 average they're used to -- including 112 yards through the air. Consider that before Saturday, Houston (1-3, 1-0) hand-delivered opponents 523 yards and six touchdowns on average per game and ranked 105 out of 106 teams nationally in total defense.

How does defensive confusion suddenly become chaotic precision?

"We believed in ourselves," said free safety Donald Douglas. "We all knew how important this game was. Everyone took it upon themselves to raise their game to another level."

Such as Delithro Bell, who started at weakside linebacker for an injured Michael Newhouse and had 10 tackles. Or Ryan McCoy, who is running away with Defensive Player of the Year honors after his 21-tackle performance, including 12 solo.

HOLED-UP PLAYERS HIDE OUT ON SOME ISSUES

by shane patrick boyle

They are building an enclave to shut out the "undesirable" elements of the city, but their enclave may turn out to be a house of cards.

Set in 1973, at the height of the white-flight era, <I>The Enclave<P> by Arthur Laurents follows a group of upper class, middle-aged friends with a plan to escape the entrapments of New York together by sealing themselves up in an exclusive housing development called the Enclave.

The play is the latest project of Inside Out Productions and is currently showing at Houston Skyline Theater.

The Enclave is the brainchild of Ben (Bob Maddox, one of the founders of Inside Out), and his brother, Bruno (Andrew Kunev) is the architect designing it.

As the play opens, Bruno is putting some finishing touches on the designs – an additional room Ben requested for his house.

This little change, requested by Ben, piqués the suspicion of Ben's former lover Cassie (Lisa Schofield), now married with a litter of children.

She seems to think the extra room has something to do with a male voice, which answered Ben's phone when he was in the shower. And it does.

Not surprisingly, Ben's brother and friends (all future residents of the Enclave) are less than thrilled when he shows up with a male date at a dinner party.

His young lover, Wyman (Travis Ammons, the other founder of Inside Out) forces the other characters (including Ben) to confront the truth they have always known, but never acknowledged about Ben's sexuality.

The fate of the Enclave is up in the air when they realize they will be living among some of the "undesirables" they were trying to escape.

As Bruno's wife, Eleanor (Carole Orsak) puts it, "One word too many, and the house can fall in like a souffle."

Race relations are also briefly touched upon (though not satisfactorily) through their treatment of an interracial couple who are part of the Enclave circle

Copping out on race issues isn’t the play’s only flaw. Ben’s sexual orientation is played up to the point where he comes across as some kind of sideshow exhibit, regardless of the playwright’s intentions.

Ben's sexual orientation is also equated to his friends’ character flaws (exhibitionism, marital unfaithfulness, prudery etc.). Again, this is probably a situation where the author communicates a message opposite the intended message.

Also, the first scene (almost entirely dominated by boorish breeders) drags on too long, and the word "enclave" is uttered so many times it takes on the quality of fingernails on a chalkboard.

Despite the play’s flaws, the cast and production crew do an excellent job, and make the play worth seeing.

A particularly nice touch is the way the play, through a revelation about one of the characters, demonstrates that some of the most intense homophobia originates from inside the closet.

Being staged in the Houston Skyline Theater also helped compliment the illusion that these scenes were taking place in high rise apartments. The characters talk a lot about crime and at times, it was uncertain if the sound of sirens was a sound effect or actual sirens down below.

This is not an easy play to put on because, with every scene, the action switches between three different apartments.

All the actors bring life to their characters, and even remain in character during the play’s many set changes.

Ammons does a particularly excellent job of livening up the play. His youthful energy serves as juxtaposition to the seriousness of the middle-aged characters. And, though he was only two years old in 1973, when the play is set, he does a good job portraying a young person in the ‘70s (and his costume – consisting of only a vest and a pair of tight pants – fits him so well).

NEW X-RAY TECH REPLACEMENT TOO LATE

by Annette Baird

As of today a new X-ray technician will be joining the University Health Center. This development comes too late, however, for one UH student who was sent off-campus to have an X-ray at considerable personal cost.

Harrison Lee, a senior in health education, had to go to the Houston Imaging Center in the medical center for a back X-ray because the University Health Center did not have an X-ray technician at the time.

Lee incurred costs of $140 for his X-rays. Had they been done on-campus, they would have cost $75 and been charged directly to his insurance with no deductible.

Lee said he went to the health center in the middle of September complaining of a bad back and was advised that he have an X-ray. Lee had the X-ray been performed at the Medical Center the next day.

"The reason Lee was sent off-campus was because there was no X-ray technologist for the month of September," said Gayle Prager, interim director of the health center. "I understand (Lee's) frustration. But there are such things as vacancies from time to time," Prager said.

Lee has student health insurance that costs around $500 per year. An annual deductible for out-patient treatment and 80 percent coverage thereafter is included in the plan.

According to the student health insurance plan, the special University Health Center benefits, under which such services as X-rays and lab fees fall, are offered as an added benefit to encourage students to use the health center, and if the center is closed or services are not available, a student should not expect this added benefit to apply to treatment received elsewhere.

Lee said he should have been informed by the health center about the price difference of the X-rays. "I didn't realize it was going to cost $140. Students pay for the health center through their student service fees," Lee said. The Health Center Fee is a mandatory fee of $18 that is automatically added to each student's fee bill.

"My philosophy is the patient is always right. We are a student health center and we are here for the students. If any student has a question about the health center they can call me at 743-5137 or 743-5151, or they can come in person," Prager said.

"I am willing to meet with Mr. Lee to see what I can do to be of help," Prager added.

ADVISOR SOLVES MYSTERIES OF CATALOG

by Lawrence R. Williams, Ph.D.

Each student at UH should know which Undergraduate Studies catalog is the appropriate one for him or her.

The rules, regulations, and guidelines within the catalog dictate the pathway to graduation. The catalog in use at the time of your first registration at UH is generally the right one. However, some factors may alter that. If you interrupt continuous enrollment for more than 13 consecutive months, the catalog in use at the time you return becomes the appropriate catalog. (Successful completion of just three credit hours satisfies the criterion of enrollment.)

In addition, a catalog cannot be used if it is more than seven years old. This may be important to some of you who have been here awhile, so beware.

Changing your major or adding a second major can alter which catalog is appropriate for you. In either case (providing you do not violate the 13 month rule), you may have to satisfy conditions of two catalogs. Read this section with care.

Finally, if you have previously attended a junior college in Texas, there are circumstances that may permit you to use the UH catalog in use when you started at the junior college.

Regardless of your circumstances, it is your responsibility to know which catalog is the appropriate one for you. In particular, make sure the degree plan you file in the college or department of your major uses guidelines in the catalog that is appropriate for you. Degree plan? Yes, degree plan (p. 70).

You should file a degree plan with the dean of your college or your departmental advisor after completing 60 credit hours. A copy of your degree plan must be on file in your dean's office and in the Office of Registration and Academic Records before you can be certified for graduation. Of course, one will be in the office of your major.

There are some very good reasons to file your degree plan on time. The content of your degree plan is verified in the department of your major and in your dean's office. This may require some time. For example, if you plan to graduate in December 1993 and your degree plan is not already on file, it is very likely that certification for your graduation may not be completed until spring 1993.

This formality may be a mere inconvenience for some students, but for others it causes problems when seeking employment or trying to enter graduate and professional programs. Unfortunately, you have only your self to blame.

Approved degree plans make excellent advising tools. A degree plan permits our self-sufficient students to track progress and plan registration. Alternatively, if you visit your advisor, the degree plan can be used to efficiently help answer questions or provide information and advice concerning progress toward your degree.

Most importantly, the approved degree plan displays the requirements you must meet to assure graduation because it contains the courses that are your options for satisfying the requirements of the state of Texas, the University of Houston, your college, and your department. It removes guesswork and worry.

Speaking of requirements, do you know what the "Core Curriculum" is? More on it next week. (See page 72).

INSECT LOVER: MARKETING PROF BUGGED ABOUT WAY WOMEN TREATED

by Debbie Callier

Julia Bristor becomes impatient with people who think there is only one way to view the world, whether the subject is women's issues, marketing research or hot-dogging on roller blades.

Bristor is an assistant professor of marketing, whose speciality is consumer research, the chair of the Committee on the Status of Women on campus and an avid athlete.

She grew up in the Detroit area, one of five sisters. "Our mother was bright and talented," she said. "She raised us to have a career. Each one of us has the means to support herself. At home we did everything. We grew up using hammers and nails."

One of her younger sisters was the first girl in her high school to take shop class. Two years later she was a tutor in the class. "It wasn't until we left home that we ran into brick walls we didn't know existed." The brick walls were prejudices–some subtle, others blatant–such as the attitude of a co-worker in Canada who claimed there was something wrong with all the women who'd ever worked there. After a while she realized the problem was that women were simply unwelcome in his male dominated environment.

"Gender issues, especially with a feminine perspective, tend to challenge the status quo," she says. "Corporate policy was built and structured before women were such a large portion of the work force. It doesn't have systems and structures that allow for domestic interruptions. It was designed for a man who could spend 10 or 12 hours at work."

While studying consumer research she realized that much of what had been considered "neutral" research was largely about men.

Her research is helping to change that. "The '90s is a decade where we are trying to be broader, to view the multiple perspective. One perspective isn't better than another," she says. What is important to a researcher is finding the truth.

One axiom she learned is that research is not an objective endeavor. A study has a viewpoint. Viewpoints affect perception. "There are two ways marketing researchers tend to view the consumer. One is the fisherman's viewpoint: You catch the consumer to eat. The other is the marine biologist's approach." The marine biologist collects information for the love of fish. Bristor opines the two views should co-exist. She noted that consumer researchers have a responsibility for the way they collect data, so it isn't biased.

Language experts understand the ability of words to evoke images and emotions. Word choices on surveys and questionnaires influence responses. "When you hear the word fireman, you think man, not person," Bristor says.

It is subtle, but significant.

Marketing studies subtle influences that bombard our senses from every billboard, magazine and television advertising beginning during early childhood. The words, the images, the nuances, matter. Bristor analyzes them and is serious about shedding light on marketing issues that prejudice society against women.

In her office she speaks calmly and confidently, with the air of a person confident about finding solutions to the problems she confronts. She said her dream is a world without prejudice, one with equal opportunity.

Her work has taken her around the world. She has taught at the University of Michigan, the University of Western Ontario, at the Helsinki School of Economics and at various executive programs. "I love turning students on to the excitement of marketing. I don't bring women's issues into the classroom." Her research and committee work focuses on women's issues.

Bristor is slim and fit-looking with short brown hair. Her bright red jersey and black slacks are elegant and straight-forward.

Her office is filled with the stuff of academia – stacks of paper, a framed Ph.D. from the University of Michigan, files and journals. The journal by her computer contains some of her published research. The atmosphere is bright and business-like. It is easy to imagine her in command of a classroom filled with admiring students.

Photos of her husband, her black cat, friends and a sister surround her. When she was married last year some of her students gave her a shower. Another baked an iced green cake topped with bridal frogs and a can of plastic bugs. They appreciate her sense of humor. One of them gave her an umbrella decorated with Sunday comics.

There is a cockroach from one of her sisters by her computer. "Every computer has a bug," she says. It's not real. Neither is the rubber lizard, the squeaky sea otter, the black bug or the duck's head on the lamp.

While her work reveals the serious teacher, researcher, committee and faculty member, her office indicates she enjoys fun and whimsy, too.

DYNAMIC DUO SHREDS BEARS

Klingler relcaims starting job with effective performance

So far, the questions about Jimmy Klingler's ability have been put to rest.

The Cougars' starting quarterback, whose job seemed in jeopardy, returned to action to open the Southwest Conference season against the Baylor Bears on Saturday.

Klingler, who had been out for three weeks with an ankle injury, responded in a big way leading an offense which gave the Baylor defense fits all day in a 24-3 Cougars' triumph.

Although his performance was not mind-boggling, it was effective as he completed 19-of-29 passes for 190 yards and three touchdowns.

"Though people still might think that Chuck is better, I can't let that get to me," Klingler said. "I know what my job is, and I have to ignore what everybody else thinks."

Klingler made it clear what his job was when he completed 5-of-6 passes on the game's opening drive. He capped it off with a two-yard pass to wide receiver Sherman Smith in the end zone for a touchdown.

"We hadn't scored a touchdown on our first series this year yet, so that opening drive was a big lift for us," Klingler said.

The goal-line scoring worked like clockwork throughout the entire game. All three of Klingler's touchdown passes were of seven yards or less.

"Jimmy made some great throws on the goal line," said head coach Kim Helton. "I've got to give him credit for that."

But probably the biggest play that Klingler made happened at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

With Houston holding a somewhat overcoming 17-3 lead, the Cougars faced a third-and-two from their own 42-yard line. Klingler threw a five-yard pass to Keith Jack that the receiver turned into a 41-yard gain to the Bears' 15.

The drive ended on a one-yard touchdown pass to Ron Peters and a 24-3 Houston advantage.

"That play seemed to put the game out of reach," Helton said. "Jimmy made a nice touch throw on that."

Klingler would like to put even more things out of reach as the season continues. This includes any thoughts of his job being in jeopardy again.

RUNNING BACK SMITH'S RUSHING GIVES COUGARS STRONG, EMERGING GROUND ATTACK

"Running game" is not a term that most people would associate with the Houston Cougar offense.

But somebody forgot to tell that to Lamar Smith.

The Cougars' running back ran for his second straight game over 100 yards.

Against the Baylor Bears on Saturday, Smith ran for 118 yards in 24 attempts as the Cougars won their Southwest Conference opener 24-3.

"Lamar Smith and (Texas Tech's) Byron Morris are the best backs we have faced this year," said Baylor head coach Chuck Reedy. "We're a poor tackling team, but that doesn't take anything away from his performance."

When he wasn't running the football on the ground, Smith was getting his offense going through the air.

Smith became quarterback Jimmy Klingler's favorite target as his eight receptions for 49 yards were the most catches by any Houston receiver.

As far as what his secret to success was, Smith didn't have one.

"I just run the football as hard as I can and try to win for the team," he says.

Smith's biggest gain of the day helped set up the Cougars' second touchdown.

Near the end of the first quarter, the Cougars faced first and 10 at the Baylor 33-yard line. As Smith took the handoff from Klingler, he ran almost untouched up the middle for a 25-yard gain to the eight.

Two plays later, Houston's second touchdown gave them a 14-3 lead.

To help set up the Cougars' third and final touchdown in the fourth quarter, the Houston offense was at the Baylor 17 with a first-and-10. Smith took Klingler's handoff and ran over the right side for a 15-yard gain.

And two plays later, a Klingler-to-Ron Peters touchdown made it 24-3 Houston to put the game out of reach.

"Smith did a great job running today," Klingler said.

And if he keeps doing what he's doing, Smith will be known as the man who put the "run" back in the Run-and-Shoot.

SMILES ABOUND

Houston opened Southwest Conference play before an Astrodome crowd of 20,123 with a dominating 24-3 victory over the Baylor Bears.

Houston's record improved to 1-3, (1-0, SWC). Baylor dropped to 3-2, (1-1).

The victory was head coach Kim Helton's first as a Cougar, giving him reason to smile.

"I'm not a smiler, but I'm smiling right now," he said.

Houston opened the game with an impressive 12-play, 80-yard drive.

"We knew we had to come out and take advantage of their defense right off the bat. Psychologically, we needed to go out and win the first quarter," said quarterback Jimmy Klingler, who made his first start since injuring his right ankle against Tulsa.

Klingler and company made sure Houston had the points to win the first quarter.

The Cougars marched down the field behind the running and short-pass receiving of Lamar Smith. Klingler hit Sherman Smith for a diving two-yard touchdown reception to cap the drive.

Baylor strong safety Andrew Swassey picked off a Klingler pass on the next series, setting up a 20-yard Jarvis Van Dyke field goal. That three-pointer would be Baylor's only score.

Houston mounted two more scoring drives in the half.

The first, ended with a Ron Peters touchdown reception in the left corner of the end zone and the second, with a 32-yard Trace Craft field goal.

A unrelenting Cougar defense kept the Bears at bay to provide a 17-3 halftime cushion.

"We were only two TDs behind. I thought we could eventually wear them down," said Baylor head coach, Chuck Reedy.

He thought wrongly.

Baylor did not score in the second half, but they did get close.

After recovering a third quarter TiAndre Sanders fumble at the Houston 32-yard line, Baylor marched downfield to the three-yard line behind the power running of Robert Strait.

Baylor's power running stopped three yards short.

Henry Mills ran a sweep left for no gain on a first-and-goal. Strait advanced only one yard on a second-down plunge.

Quarterback J. J. Joe ran a play-action bootleg on third down, literally falling inches short of the goal line.

Gerald Williams and Demond James stood up Brandell Jackson on a fourth-down dive to complete Houston's first goal-line stand of the game.

"Houston has some short, quick linemen," Jackson said. "They were beating our lineman off the ball."

A second goal-line stand, in the fourth quarter, proved the endurance of Houston's defense.

"They made some good goal-line stands. We're used to scoring when we get down there," Joe said.

Klingler added to the Houston lead in the fourth with his third touchdown pass, and second to Peters.

Klingler finished the day with 190 passing yards and three touchdowns.

Lamar Smith was equally impressive in gaining 167 yards of total offense. Smith caught eight passes for 49 yards and had 24 rushes for 118 yards.

"The offense came and played," Sherman Smith said. "The defense came and played as well."

Houston's open-field and gang tackling was impressive. Four Cougars had 10 or more tackles on the day.

Linebacker, Ryan McCoy lead the team with 21 stops.

"They made some great open-field tackles," Joe said, "Those guys, McCoy and them made the plays."

HOUSEHOLD SAINTS HEAVENLY TREAT

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Set in New York's Little Italy in the years following World War II, <I>Household Saints<P> is a dreamy fable filled with beautiful visions, but saddled with a script trying to tell too many different stories at once.

The film features Tracey Ullman, one of the most talented actresses working today, as Catherine Falconetti, a 17-year-old Italian-American caring for her widowed father and older brother. One very hot day her father bets his daughter in a pinochle game. A once-in-a-lifetime deal of the cards matches Catherine up with Joseph Santangelo (Vincent D'Onofrio), the neighborhood butcher with a heavy thumb when it comes to weighing sausage.

Joseph's mother, Carmela (Judith Malina), who believes the Falconettis are cursed with bad luck, opposes the wedding, and Catherine isn't exactly looking forward to it either. After the wedding night Catherine begins to enjoy her situation a little more. Carmela, however, is still displeased.

There are some funny bits in this first half of the movie, most between Catherine and Carmela. There is also a sense of conflict between the Old World values and those of new Italian-Americans.

After an ill-fated pregnancy, Catherine and Joseph eventually have a child. They name this child Teresa (Lili Taylor), after the saint of flowers and labor. This is where the film goes wrong.

Up to this point it has been an intriguing view of a quirky, but fulfilling relationship between Catherine and Joseph and their families, but now it switches gears and concentrates on the daughter and her obsession with religion.

The story of the daughter would perhaps have made an excellent movie on its own, but just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the film. Taylor's performance is right on, as are all the other actors, especially D'Onofrio as Joseph. Director Nancy Savoca has a great eye and this film contains some beautiful images, but none of this can save a movie this disjointed.