STUDENTS REJECT SOMALIA MISSION

The results of a Daily Cougar poll show that UH students are against U.S. troops in Somalia by a 2-1 ratio.

However, President Bill Clinton has taken a different stand by sending 650 more American servicemen to help protect United Nation's forces in Somalia. According to a Pentagon report, 600 more troops are preparing to leave.

Although some students did express reservations about a "cut and run" reaction to recent developments, 65 percent of 112 students polled Wednesday called for withdrawal. Of those polled, 26 percent advocated continued involvement, while 9 percent were undecided.

"If (U.S. troops) are not getting the job done, they should leave," said Lesean Caselberry, a senior political science major.

"I don't think we should be there," said Carl Rodermund, a graduate student in philosophy.

The U.S.-led U.N. humanitarian mission began 10 months ago. But with the fighting in Russia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, Somalia has been overshadowed.

Recently, the media reminded America of the horror in Somalia by publishing a photo of a nearly naked dead serviceman being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. The video of captured U.S. pilot Mike Durant was broadcast into the living rooms of Americans, forcing the situation to the forefront of American dialogue.

There were 12 Americans killed Sunday, 78 wounded, and at least six missing.

Republicans and Democrats in Congress are demanding immediate military withdrawal and threatening to back an amendment to halt funding of continued U.S. military involvement in Somalia.

"It's time to get out of there," said Lt. Col. Art Stemmermann, the ROTC commanding officer at UH. "I think the picture on the front page of (Tuesday's) Chronicle says more than I could."

Anger over the treatment of the dead and captured Americans has some students calling for retaliation.

"Send 25,000 troops, and isolate the son of a bitch (Aidid). If you're going to do it, do it," said John Mubarak, an RTV senior.

"Either bomb (the Somalis) into submission, or bring (the Americans) back home," said Greg Johnson, an MIS senior.

"Beat their ass; then leave," said Andy Neill, a pre-law senior.

Students supporting withdrawal said they did not want America to simply run away.

Kent L. Tedin, chairman of the Political Science Department said, "Yes, they should be withdrawn, but it should be a strategic withdrawal."

On Monday, Clinton threatened retaliation if any captured Americans were mistreated.

*******************************************************

PICKERING TALKS ABOUT TEACHING

by Tammy Gamble

Rewarding teaching and addressing the low morale of the teaching staff at UH were concerns expressed by Undergraduate Council members as President James Pickering spoke to the council Wednesday.

"Since I came to UH in 1967, I have never felt such disillusionment. We are being told to change, but we do not need to be told to change. We are already in the trenches," said Rosalie Maddocks, geosciences professor.

Maddocks echoed the thoughts of psychology Professor Eugene Doughtie, who said the UH administration and Pickering are falling short of the expectations of faculty, staff and students in areas such as library funding. "We thought we knew you and trusted you, but you do not hold the same ideas as you used to," said Doughtie.

The UH administration contributes $860,000 to the library to match the student service fee, Pickering said.

Pickering admitted that some of his reshaping ideas were right, some where half-right, but some were wrong. To begin reshaping at UH, Pickering said the process must start from the bottom with faculty, staff and students to the top with administration. "I regret that this reshaping document was too much of a top-down process. Faculty, staff and students must be engaged to make the change," Pickering said.

Teaching, scholarship, research and service should be the main goals of professors, Pickering said.

Engineering Professor John Hunsucker said it is difficult and sometimes career damaging for the teaching staff to do service work along with teaching duties. "If your method of motivating is that it is for our own good, it will fail. There has to be real tangible reasons," Hunsucker said.

The council also approved a new university honors policy for students entering under a fall 1995 catalog or later. The required grade point averages for Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude will stay the same; however, students will have to earn these averages both in all course work attempted at UH, and separately in courses attempted in their major.

CRANBERRIES FLAVOR HOUSTON

The enveloping voice of singer Dolores O’Riordan is what first catches you, with its sort of flat Irish twinge rumpled by strong chords. However, the Cranberries, hitting Houston tonight at Numbers, reveal something a little saucier.

Originally christened The Cranberry Saw Us, in 1991 the Cranberries were hounded by the British press, who adored the band's stripped-down sound. With scarcely more than a cassette single to their credit, the Cranberries were generating massive press.

Small-scale warfare with the band’s management, however, delayed an album release and almost prompted a band breakup. Soon after canning the handlers, the Cranberries snapped up producer Stephen Street, who had directed records from the Psychedelic Furs and the Smiths, and promptly headed for the studio.

<I>Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?<P>, the release from whose strength the band is touring, has won accolades from the music industry worldwide with its Gaelic-styled pop.

Despite this, the group's guitarist, Noel Hogan, who claims to not have listened to the release "in ages," said that the Cranberries' sound has grown from its original musings.

"Musically, we've changed so much since the record – we don't even sound like 'Dreams' or 'Linger' any more," Hogan said, referring to the group's American and U. K. hits respectively. "We've become a lot more mature on some songs and less polished on others."

Founded in the Irish town of Limerick, original members Fergal Lawler (drums) and brothers Noel (guitar) and Mike (bass) Hogan initially were initially accompanied by a male schoolmate on vocals until O'Riordan, who had heard about the search for a new lead, joined the band, came from her countryside home to try out.

"When Dolores writes a song, she usually adapts it to right to the music," Hogan said. "We're developing a lot of stuff on the road, at sound checks and such."

However, before more songwriting happens, the band will be accompanying Duran Duran starting Oct. 15 until December. Hogan said the band is looking forward to a rest after that.

"We've been on the road for most of this year and we're really wanting to get away for a little while," he said. "We have been around each other so long, it's nice to go for a break so everyone can be fresh again."

FEST RETURNS TO OLDE DAYS

All ye gentlefolk, come enjoy the world of medieval mystery, enchantment and magic of the 16th century at the Renaissance Festival in Plantersville.

Young and old surrender to the dazzling displays at the festival beginning with a parade showing various costumery of the Renaissance period. Belly dancers wiggle their hips at the admiring crowd and give kisses to unsuspecting, though appreciative, men.

Enthusiastic audiences flock to the jousting matches or watch glass-blowing, coin-minting, broom-making and blacksmithing artisans.

Still other artisans create jewelry, sand-castings, drawings, wood carvings and rock art.

Carter Hunter of the House of the Golden Sun (Shoppe #6), creates jesters, castles and celestial bodies from sand. "I started off drawing candles in the sand, but then I wanted to create something that would last," he says. Sand-casting is the oldest known way of reproducing an original piece of art. A sun is one of the designs Hunter creates. In the 15th century, this was a sign used to protect and bless a person's hearth or business.

Men and women dressed in renaissance attire led cheers during the jousting. Jousters are costumed in red, white, black, yellow and green. The cheering gets louder as the knights race toward one another, each trying to knock the other from their noble steed.

The smell of food lingers in the air; the tantalizing aromas come from regal Henry VIII turkey legs and a host of German, English, Italian and Polish dishes.

The superstitious and curious can peer into the hazy world of the future with the help of fortune tellers at a Gypsy camp, while pipers and flutists play authentic renaissance music, and balladeers deliver charming folk melodies.

Learned mates, don't forget to practice ye Olde English accent.

SWITCH TO OFFENSE OLD HAT, GOOD NEWS FOR PALMER

Moving from defense to offense is as opposite as night and day, but that has not seemed to bother Danny Palmer.

The Cougars' running backs and former linebackers coach has coached either offense or defense his entire career. And each time the transition has been smooth.

But this is the first time that Palmer has had the opportunity to coach only the running backs. And judging by senior runner Lamar Smith's progress this year, Palmer's transition into that area was smooth as well.

"Lamar works extremely well with others," Palmer says. "He's one of those that really enjoys coming to practice."

Smith is among the leaders in the Southwest Conference in both rushing and receiving. Through four games, Smith has gained 540 yards of total offense, including 386 yards rushing and 154 through the air.

But Palmer says that there is another aspect to Smith's game that impresses him the most.

"The thing I admire most is that Lamar contributes as a fine blocker in pass protection," he said.

"I just try to go out and be the best runner that I can be and help my team win the game," Smith said.

Palmer's experience with both offense and defense originated from his 12-year tenure as a head coach in the Texas high school system at Texas High in Texarkana, Waco-Richfield and Bonham.

During that time Palmer earned three coach of the year awards while compiling a 68-28-4 record.

Of those 12 years, Palmer's teams appeared in the state playoffs seven times and won six district championships.

In 1984, Palmer took his experience to the collegiate level where he became an assistant coach at the University of Texas—Arlington.

He then became the defensive coordinator at Southeastern Oklahoma State in 1987 before assuming the offensive coordinator post at Northwest Mississippi Community College in 1989.

He was awarded the linebacking coaching position at Austin Peay in 1991 before taking the same position for Houston in 1992.

That type of experience prompted Houston head coach Kim Helton to try Palmer at running backs coach.

"Though I was a linebacking coach last year, my experience as a head high school coach, offensive coordinator and former quarterback in college allowed me to have that awareness of how an offense is supposed to be run."

But Palmer admits that wasn't the easiest part of the job.

"Coach Helton made it easy for me," he said. "He was patient in giving me a chance, because he knew that with all my experience, I had an idea of what an offense was like."

CIRCUS ANY KID'S DREAM

It was a typical heavy metal evening complete with hot guitar licks, women scantily clad in spandex and even a flying, lacy brassiere, but Midnight Circus' music is most definitely atypical.

Rob Howell, the lead singer, did an excellent job of keeping the excitement at an all time high at the band's recent show.

Howell's animated presence on stage really plays to the crowd, giving the impression that he is singing to each person individually – though maybe he sings to the women a little more than the men.

The bass player, Jason Arkfeld, maintains the look of a man contemplating the problems of the world. His intensity is amply reflected by the depth of his skills.

Whoever coined the phrase, "Hell doth quicken the spirit," could well have had Midnight Circus' drummer Marty Naul in mind.

Naul's drumming reaches a frenetic pace as his hands and arms accelerate to supernatural speed throughout the show.

And what band would be complete without the spine-tingling rifts of the lead guitarist.

With that long, curly hair and those lightning quick fingers, you'd never guess Robert Guinea doubled as a middle school music teacher.

Teacher or not, Guinea's prowess as the band's lead guitarist places him as one of the best to come out of a Houston-metal band in very long time.