STEAMROLLED AT KYLE FIELD

AGGIES RUN THROUGH COUGARS DEFENSE FOR 34-14

COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M ran over Houston in a sloppy 34-10 Southwest Conference match-up before 60,575 at Kyle Field Saturday afternoon.

The 14th ranked Aggies improved their record to 4-1 (2-0 in the SWC) and Houston slipped to 1-4 (1-1).

Execution was poor for both teams, leading to a combined four fumbles and 19 penalties.

When they were not dropping the football or jumping offsides, the Aggie offense and Cougar defense waged a back-and-forth ground battle.

A&M went three-and-out on its first possession after Ryan McCoy hit Leeland McElroy for an eight-yard loss on third down.

The Houston offense sputtered on its opening drive, and appeared dead throughout the first half.

Cougars’ quarterback Jimmy Klingler said, "We didn’t execute. They didn’t give us too many problems that we weren’t expecting. They did everything we planned for, it was a lack of execution on our part."

A&M’s second possession ended when Stephen Dixon and a pack of Cougars hit Rodney Thomas on a sweep to the left. Thomas coughed up the ball and McCoy recovered it at the A&M 27.

On the next play, Klingler lateralled to Sherman Smith. The pass fell incomplete and Michael Hendricks pounced on it for the fumble recovery.

On the ensuing possession, tailback Greg Hill’s return from his five-week NCAA suspension ignited the Aggie offense.

Hill ran for 34 yards on five carries, marching A&M down field. Corey Pullig hit Ryan Matthews for a four-yard touchdown pass to cap the drive.

Rodney Thomas rushed seven times for 48 yards to lead A&M on its next scoring drive. Thomas ran behind textbook-blocking on a sweep right for a nine-yard touchdown.

"I felt we did well in the first half, but we gave up some big plays and we lost our composure," McCoy said.

A&M ended the half when Pullig hit Matthews on a pair of sideline out patterns to set up a 45-yard Terry Venetoulias field goal.

At halftime, Houston trailed 17-0 and its ineffective offense had accounted for only 91 yards of total offense.

Houston showed little offensive improvement in the second half.

A 40-yard Trace Craft field goal in the third quarter was the only Houston offensive score of the game.

The only consolation comes from the fact that UH is the only opponent to score at Kyle Field this season.

A&M added to its lead with 28-yard Venetoulias field goal.

Houston’s Delmonico Montgomery intercepted Pullig early in the fourth quarter and ran 52 yards for a touchdown. Houston trailed 20-10 and looked as though they might mount a comeback.

Thomas scored his second touchdown on A&M’s next drive to put the game out of reach.

McElroy added insult to injury when he ran untouched for an 81-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

Head coach Kim Helton said, "I don’t think we really let down until the fourth quarter. They were able to wear us out."

"Defensively, we did all right but in the second half we folded," said McCoy, who finished with 14 tackles.

Safeties Donald Douglas and Gerome Williams led the Cougars with 17 and 15 tackles, respectively.

Most of the tackles came in the defensive secondary because of the Aggie running backs’ ability to slip past the front line.

Defensive end Marlon Foots said, "We had a chance to make the tackles, we just missed. Most of the time we pinned them behind the line, but we just couldn’t wrap ’em up."

*******************************************************

STUDY BREAKS GALORE FOR VIDEO GORE

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

This is the first of a series of articles instructing you, the humble reader, on how to organize and operate your film festival.

I'll provide the motifs, the titles and the order in which to view them. All you have to do is rent the videos and make the popcorn (if you like popcorn).

This week's motif is "Grotesque, Nasty, Bloody & Fun." Four films, currently available on video, are required to receive the full effect. And they must be seen in the following order.

First up is Quentin Tarrantino's <I>Reservoir Dogs<P>. This is what action movies are supposed to be. Mixed in between the wonderfully excessive violence is some of the most perfectly placed dialogue and hippest music in recent action-movie history.

Most of these new action films seemed to be hatched from the same unimaginative hen. The whole point of the violence is to set up some sort of witty comeback by Stallone, Willis, or Schwarzenneger. <I>Reservoir Dogs<P> is what most action movies want to be when they grow up.

Next up is Russ Meyer's trash classic <I>Beyond the Valley of the Dolls<P>. With an incredibly inept screenplay by renowned film critic Roger Ebert, this is '70s soft-core smut at its best.

The only problem with this movie is that it may be difficult to find. My source-book says it is available, but I was unable to locate a copy during a recent search. If you can't find this one, try any Russ Meyer film. They're all interchangeable.

The third film in this festival of base pleasures is John Boorman's <I>Deliverance<P>. Granted it's not as violent as <I>Reservoir Dogs<P> or as nasty as a Russ Meyer film, but it does have Ned Beatty getting closer to nature in one of the most visibly disturbing scenes in movie history. A scene guaranteed to make you "squeal" in horror.

It also has that banjo player who is a sort of, younger, toothless, Roy Clark stuck on a single song.

Last is Abel Ferrera's <I>Bad Lieutenant<P>. The brilliant Harvey Keitel plays the title character and he spends most of this movie driving around, listening to baseball games, and doing a multitude of drugs with some really seedy characters. All of this is even more incredible because he's a cop!

Other than the shock value received from some of his antics, there really isn't much to this film. but there is plenty of shock for the value.

A&M DEFENSE HARASSES KLINGLER, WHIPS COUGARS

COLLEGE STATION –Jimmy Klingler, meet the real "Wrecking Crew."

After humbling the bone-jarring Texas A&M defense for 488 yards passing, three touchdowns and nary a sack in last year’s meeting in the Astrodome, Houston quarterback Klingler discovered Saturday that Aggie revenge can ruin a perfectly bleak day.

In front of a partisan Kyle Field crowd of 60,575, Klingler was sacked four times and was pressured countless others during the Aggies’ 34-10 triumph under overcast skies.

His final statistics on the day: A miserable 11-of-25 passing for 119 yards, including only nine yards in the first quarter.

Take away a 46-yard pass in the second quarter to running back Lamar Smith and the Aggies held Klingler to 73 yards passing.

But when you’re face down in the AstroTurf or having your passes blocked at the line of scrimmage, those numbers are not uncommon.

"Sometimes receivers would run a good route and I’d be pressured," Klingler said. "That’s A&M. We knew we were going to get some pressure and we didn’t execute on offense at all."

‘At all’ is right. The running game bogged down in a quagmire of maroon and white as Smith failed to find secure footing.

He rushed 15 times for 52 yards and never found the end zone.

In fact, the lone touchdown the Cougars were privy to came on a Delmonico Montgomery 52-yard interception return.

Kicker Trace Craft booted a 40-yard field goal with 6:46 left in the third quarter after Klingler directed the offense 58 yards for Houston’s only successful drive.

The Cougar scorecard looked like an aberration when the final whistle sounded.

The defense: 7. The offense: 3.

"They beat us up and they blitzed us," said Houston coach Kim Helton of A&M’s sixth-ranked defense nationally. "A couple of times the guards got in and made the play. The linebackers ran over us."

Offensive left tackle Jimmy Herndon struggled to find the words to explain the collapse.

"We scored three points. That’s all I’m going to say," he said. "We’re not going back to the drawing board. We need to suck it up and move ahead."

Houston (1-4, 1-1 Southwest Conference) has played the toughest part of its schedule with No. 8 Michigan and No. 14 Texas A&M (4-1, 2-0) reduced to bad memories.

The Cougars could conceivably go 4-2 in their remaining six games, which would include wins over Southern Methodist and Texas Christian (both of which are rebuilding), Cincinnati and Rice, a school Houston always plays tough, winning season or not.

In this scenario, Houston would lose to Texas Tech and Texas.

But the Cougars will have to do better when they take to the road. They are 0-10 away from the Dome since beating Rice 41-21 at Rice Stadium on Nov. 16, 1991, and are 0-3 this year.

And the Cougars must surpass the feeble 178 yards of total offense they generated against the Aggies if they hope to attain a winning record the rest of the way.

It marked the second time this season that Houston was held under 200 yards on offense. Southern Cal stymied the Houston offense in Los Angeles for 170 yards.

"The key for us was getting pressure," said Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum, who owns a 25-1-1 record at Kyle Field. "We got more on them this year than last year, and I don’t know why. The times we got the most pressure on them was when they went to a four-wide receiver set."

Helton had expressed concern earlier in the week about the lack of protection the quarterback receives when Houston utilizes the four-wideout set, a staple of the run-and-shoot.

Sure enough, Klingler was usually flushed out of the pocket, pressured into throwing an incomplete pass or sacked during that formation.

Helton has been attempting to bring a more run-oriented attack to Houston by adding new plays each week. But the learning process is slow, and when the run fails, the pass must take its place.

"It’s execution," said wide receiver Sherman Smith. "Everybody has to be on the same page. We have to become consistent."

The Cougars may get their chance because there’s only one "Wrecking Crew" in the conference.

UNITED, THEY STAND FOR PEROT

by Paula L. Pierre

Ross Perot may not be on campus, but his message is. His ideology is reflected in the organization, United We Stand American which opened a chapter at UH this fall.

United We Stand America is a nationwide organization that allows any registered UH students regardless of political party affiliation to join.

"We encourage a diverse group of students to join," said Mike Donovan acting chairman of the UWSA chapter on campus.

Although the chapter does not have a large membership, members of the organization are optimistic that membership will increase in the future.

"From little acorns great oaks grow," Donovan said.

Perhaps the membership in United We Stand America will grow if students know what the organization is about, he said.

"The purpose of the organization is to politically inform the public, politically educate the public and encourage the public to become politically active and involved in economic reform," Donovan said.

Perot is the spokesperson for UWSA nationally, but members do not want Perot's persona to cloud the purpose of the organization.

"If you want to worship Ross Perot this is not the club," said Kerim Guzeldere, acting treasurer for the group.

Preston Peterson, acting vice chairman for the group, said hopefully the organization will educate everyone on campus about vital issues.

One of the issues that UWSA is interested in educating the public about is NAFTA. Members of the organization say they believe NAFTA won't be beneficial to the United States economy.

UWSA will be hosting a discussion on NAFTA at the beginning of November. A date has not been set for this event.

EDUCATION DEAN STEPPING DOWN SOON

by Elizabeth Gonzales

After 15 years as dean of education, William DenHargot Georgiades will step down and remain in the college as a senior administrator.

Georgiades, who received his Ed.D. from UCLA, came to UH as the dean of education in 1979. Throughout his term he has helped to build up the College of Education's reputation in Houston and the United States. The college is ranked nationally for its research contributions and has had a tremendous increase of outside funding.

"When I came to UH, there were no endowments. The amount of incoming funds was about $700,000. The college is now involved in research and is well known for its international work," he said.

The College of Education, under Georgiades' direction, has had an exchange of educational instructors with New Delhi, Morocco, Indonesia and the Netherlands. Visiting professors teach a summer course at UH and this helps to provide insight to similarities between educational systems.

The college has recently consummated a $1 million contract with Malaysia with World Bank support. The Malaysia Project will provide an exchange of professors from UH with students from Malaysia.

Howard Jones, a professor of Curriculum and Instruction, said, "UH is the only university in the world doing a project like this."

Georgiades, who has done work throughout Europe and Asia, said, "The big city public education systems do not have problems that are unique to them. I just visited Holland recently and they have similar problems within their education system. In Holland there is a large percentage of minorities and I think in the United States we are experiencing a new tide of immigration."

He said he thinks there will be a large decline in test scores as these minority students try to get the feel of the education system in the United States. "There will be a lot of pressure to live up to the expectations of the system and it will not be easy for these students," he said.

Georgiades has created a model for education that allows for diagnosis of the individual student's needs. Two schools in Canada have been opened based on this model of learning.

"In these schools credit is based on achievement. The students take classes at their own pace. You see a little bit of that in the Honors College at UH, but students are still working within a 15-week block. If you can learn something sooner, then why stay in the class?" he asked.

Georgiades has implemented programs that focus on the needs of the educator, as well as the student. Among them are the Role of Mentors in PreService, Teacher Internship Program, a more active Alumni Program and Superintendent's Advisor's Consortium.

Jones said, "I think the next dean has a sizeable jumpstart for success due to the things (Georgiades) has done."

A search committee will meet Thursday to begin a national search for a Georgiades' replacement.

ADVISOR CUTTING TO CORE OF CURRICULUM

by Lawrence R. Williams, Ph.D.

Most of you are at UH to complete a degree then move on to employment in your field or enter a graduate or professional program.

This requires you to choose a major field of study and specialize. However, within the larger mission of UH granting your degree, there are other educational considerations. Among them is that our graduates leave the university with the ability to appreciate and comprehend their world and its society, because they have been given an opportunity to develop their intellectual skills. Thinking, reasoning and information integration are among those skills.

Therefore, UH has devised the "Core Curriculum" (CC, see page 72 of the current catalog). All undergraduates who complete their degree at UH must meet the minimum requirements of the CC.

The CC consists of three levels. One part of Level 1 is the English/writing requirement which includes 6 hours of English composition and 6 hours of 2000-level literature. It also contains a mathematics/reasoning component consisting of MATH 1310 (college algebra) and an additional 3 hours from the Level 1, core approved courses.

Before taking courses in Level 2 of the CC, you must successfully complete or be concurrently enrolled in ENGL 1303 and MATH 1310 or their equivalents.

Level 2 of the CC is designed to add breadth to education. You must complete a minimum of 18 hours of Level 2 courses; 6 hours each from natural sciences, social/behavioral science and cultural heritage. The selection of courses that satisfy Level 2 is vast and diverse. All departments in our college (except mathematics) offer courses in the natural sciences.

Acceptable social science courses are largely offered by the College of Social Sciences, but others can be found in Human Development and Consumer Science and Communications. Cultural heritage courses range from architecture to political science, to the classics, to languages to the history of theater.

Level 2 courses will expose you to a diversity of information, ideas, topics and the individuals who gathered the information within a subject, as well as some of the people who continue to develop those subjects.

Next is Level 3. You must successfully complete English 1304 and MATH 1310 or their equivalents to take Level 3 CC courses. The function of Level 3 is to "stimulate the integration of specialized learning experiences".

There are four options available in Level 3: You may enroll in approved Integrative Courses; you may complete a Senior Honors Thesis, which requires previous arrangements with the college or department related to your thesis; you may double major; finally, you may choose an approved minor field of study. The latter two options require degree plans. Regardless of the option you choose, you will have the opportunity to read specialized information, analyze and assimilate it and put your ideas into writing.

Courses that satisfied the Core Curriculum are listed in the Class Schedule each time it is printed. The listings usually begin around page 28. As you peruse the listings you will quickly see that there is rich variety for your selection. However, our students seem to limit themselves to a narrow group of courses that they learn are acceptable within the Core Curriculum, because the information typically spreads from student to student.

I would suggest that you check the list of acceptable courses to see if there is something you feel may be more interesting or exciting. Also, when you choose, consider the intent of the Core Curriculum and link that intent to the courses you select in pursuit of your degree and intellectual development rather than considering it as just another three hours of requirements to be checked off a degree plan.

Use this part of your degree requirements to help you become someone who is informed, interesting and aware.

Williams is an undergraduate biology advisor.

ENTERTAINING ELTON

JOHN'S ENDURING APPEAL OUTLANDISHLY FREAKY

by Andrew Nicolaou

Daily Cougar staff

Friday night's Elton John concert at the Cynthia Mitchell Woodlands Pavilion was insane. Freakily crazy. Really, it was.

Part of Elton John's appeal has always been his garish stage show with it's numerous props and costume changes. While the man may play piano-based ballads rather than heavy metal-lite, he's been one of the few top draw musical acts that's kept the theatrics in his act ever since KISS wussed out and took off their makeup.

The once flashy Reginald Dwight,(John's given name), has decided, however, that his shtick has grown old. He presented, perhaps in a nod in the direction of maturity, a sold-out Woodlands Pavilion with two-and-a-half hours of his songs, (albeit vastly stripped-down versions.)

As John took the stage, Friday night at about fifteen minutes past eight o'clock, the lawn seating was filled to capacity, while the reserved seating was only about half-filled. Five minutes after the lights dimmed those seats filled. Rapidly aging baby boomers had returned stocked to the hilt with those little bottles of wine sold at the Pavilion – just like they sell on airplanes. As the first song ended, a baffling phenomena was initiated which endured for the rest of the night – people started screaming hysterically.

Oh sure, screaming is normal at any concert. However, the people at the Woodlands Friday night were reminiscent the of fans at a New Kids On the Block or Morrissey concert, with their wistful facial expressions and tear-filled eyes. Without a doubt, things were getting pretty crazy.

The first half of the concert was, for the most part, a rather sober affair with John presenting the audience with solo versions of his songs, most of which didn't fit into the "megahit" category that has characterized his career. The notable exception was his performance of "The One," his most recent hit.

During this first portion of the show, even with the absence of more recent hits, the crowd showed no signs of disappointment, not in the least. They couldn't really be blamed though. There's the question of whether the performance warranted some of the reactions an (almost) geriatric crowd accorded to John. Without a doubt it was a solid and entertaining performance. Different for sure but still entertaining.

The concert had been billed as "An Evening with Elton John and Ray Cooper." The show boasted no opening act, but instead, percussionist Ray Cooper who sauntered out midway through the show. Then things started getting really crazy. Make that super crazy.

Cooper, dressed in black, looked to be somewhere in his early to mid-sixties (thus, the age of much of the audience's older siblings), and had the pallid demeanor associated with a funeral director. He then he began to attack a trio of kettle drums with a wholly unexpected jolt of energy; a maniacal grin danced across his face all the while. As he did, a man, who had adorned himself with a souvenir Elton John scarf from some previous tour, started screaming "RAY!", at the top of his lungs. Much the same way a severely stoned sixteen year-old might shout "Freebird" at a Black Crowes show. If the truth be told, Cooper outdid John at the same sort of showmanship John is famous for. Absolutely nuts.

Cooper also devoted his energies to cymbals, vibraphones, bongos, and a tambourine throughout the remainder of John's songs. Many of these songs were the ones that fit more into the "Elton John hit song repertoire." Particularly interesting was a revamped "Crocodile Rock", closely followed by "Benny and the Jets" when John offered the audience a chance to participate in the night's festivities. All while wild man Ray Cooper was having seizures while playing various percussion instruments.

John wrapped up with the obligatory "Candle In the Wind". A few minutes earlier, however, and for the final time Friday night, things got warped. The centerpiece of Cooper's percussion setup was a massive gong which had gone unused during the entire evening. Cooper's initial striking of the gong set the crowd into yet another paroxysm of approving screams which only got louder as people realized that, yes, they were hearing the intro to the Who's "Tommy."

What Elton John served up Friday night was probably not what anybody expected. While it was, in fact, radically different than anything the British popster had offered his fans on any previous tour, it was by no means disappointing. John and accomplice Cooper, did in fact deliver a solidly entertaining show. Not just entertaining, but very much insane. Really, it was.

HOMELESS COUPLE SAY THEY, FIVE KIDS ARE HUMAN TOO

by Anthony Sutton

Near the black and gray marble obelisks that flank the Cullen entrance to the University of Houston, stands a couple who practice the second oldest profession – beggary.

Going to or coming from classes, they can be seen on the median at the intersection of Cullen and Interstate 45 South on almost any day, after noon.

Robert Smith, a former delivery truck driver who has been out of work for two years, sweats in the Houston heat in his tattered, yellow T-shirt. Michelle Smith, his wife and a former "medical student" at the Elkins Institute, holds a sign: "Evicted with twin babies (sixteen months) boy/girl need food, diapers, milk or anything you can spare. Thank you, God bless you." Michelle (who is slight at 101 pounds, to the point of looking anorexic) speaks of her children.

"We got five babies, with the twins. They stay at the family center, on Harrisburg."

The Smiths have been homeless for the past eight months.

"The babies weigh more than me," says Michelle with a laugh.

Marilyn Hill, a UH anthropology professor who has befriended the Smiths, drives up in her blazer, offers $4 and talks with Robert for a while. "She’s a good friend. She comes out every couple of days and looks after us."

"We try to get enough for a motel and something to eat ourselves, but if not, we have our bedrolls," says Robert, pointing to his shopping cart.

The children live at a center for homeless people, but "when eight o’clock comes around, we can’t even go there with them." At eight o’clock, the doors are shut to parents and visitors for safety reasons. "Sometimes, people will want to go in there and see people who don’t want to be seen," explains Robert.

When asked why they hadn’t sought help from the myriad governmental agencies that exist to shelter people from indigence, the only reply Michelle had to offer was, "Well, with them, you got rules."

She offers an example: "When I was going to medical school, and we got evicted, I couldn’t go on because (Robert) was paying for my books and shoes and uniforms. We didn’t have the money, I couldn’t get there half the time, so I couldn’t go on. I tried to get a loan, or a grant or something, but I was denied. I was denied," she says.

"I believe it was because we weren’t making enough money," Robert opines.

With all of their problems, though, health care is among the least of their worries. When asked about the subject, the Smiths just laugh. "We have charity hospitals, Ben Taub," offers Robert.

Chief among their worries, however, is how they are dehumanized in the eyes of others. "They don’t know us, you know, as people. Folks are afraid to roll down their windows and talk to us, like I’m going to steal their purse. It’s not like that. What would I gain from that?" asks Robert.

Michelle complains when a carload of girls act rude while giving $2. "They’re drinking, they’re feeling good," Robert suggests, trying to calm the waters.

"I just wish people had a heart. That girl said to help us out and the other one said, ‘I don’t care,’ and then the other one said, ‘They don’t have a place to stay.’ One had a heart and one didn’t."

Robert and Michelle are professional mendicants. They can be seen, not only at their location here on campus, but in the Telephone/Airport area, near memorial City, the Galleria, lower Westheimer near Montrose, and almost anywhere else the bus goes.

"It depends on the time and the day," Robert says. "Like here, trying to catch people going home. I also try to catch lunch traffic, like if they’ve got change coming out of Wendy’s or Burger King.

"I’m just doing my job. You got to put some hours in, seven days a week. We work different areas. The reason we come over here is that they care. You know, they don’t call us names, and they don’t throw stuff at us too often."

During the interview, the Smiths reveal they have been the objects of several ‘missile attacks.’ In Montrose, a man leaving a bar threw a can of chewing tobacco at Michelle from his truck, narrowly missing her head. "It’s people here, too. We get garbage thrown at us, people yell at us, call us niggers and bums."

"I don’t want to do this, I have to do this – there’s the difference," explains Robert. "Those who don’t, eat from garbage cans. You try to time the places, when they close. They have stuff that’s already cooked. What do they do with it? They throw it out back, wrapped in a bag. Think you could eat that if you were hungry?"

Their hope is to one day move up in the job market. Robert aspires to "get down to Galveston, and maybe work on a fishing boat."

"Tonight, I want to make $29 or $30. Twenty-five dollars for the room, and a little extra to eat on," Robert says. "To put away," he says with a laugh.

COUGARS FAIL TO CONVERT AGGIES' MISCUES

COLLEGE STATION – It’s hard to say if a first-quarter miscue could be the turning point in a game.

For Houston, though, it was certainly a defining moment.

Facing the 14th-ranked Texas A&M Aggies at Kyle Field Saturday, the Cougars had to establish themselves early on both sides of the ball to have a chance at victory.

The defense answered the call first when Houston right tackle Stephen Dixon separated Aggie tailback Rodney Thomas from the ball in the first quarter and Cougar linebacker Ryan McCoy recovered it at the A&M 27-yard line.

But the offense failed to capitalize on the gift. On the first play, quarterback Jimmy Klingler threw a low lateral pass to receiver Sherman Smith, who couldn’t grasp the ball and fumbled it. Aggie strong safety Michael Hendricks pounced on the loose ball at the 38-yard line.

It was an omen of bad things to come for the offense, but Smith didn’t let the turnover phase him.

"That was so early in the game, it wasn’t a momentum crusher," he said. "We rebounded from it and didn’t lose focus."

Not everyone agreed.

"It was going to change the momentum of the game, but we turned it right back over," McCoy said.

The game was scoreless at that point, and a conversion of the turnover might have boosted the Cougars’ confidence.

The defense nearly provided the offense with another opportunity to score first.

On A&M’s next possession, quarterback Corey Pullig threw a short pass to Tony Harrison, who turned to run down field. Houston cornerback Alfred Young hit Harrison and knocked the ball loose.

Unfortunately, it took an Aggie bounce into the arms of fullback Clif Groce. The drive culminated in a four-yard touchdown pass and a 7-0 A&M lead.

Young hurt his neck on the play but later returned.

"I was just trying to make the tackle or jar the ball loose," Young said. "It was a turning point because it could have put some points on the board but things happen."

"We all could have played a little bit better, but we couldn’t get things to go our way."

RUDY NOT JUST A FOOTBALL FILM.

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

I was wrong. I walked into the theater expecting to see another "football" movie and I was wrong. After suffering through <I>The Program<P> I was not looking forward to another movie about college football, but <I>Rudy<P> was a pleasant surprise.

This is the story of Daniel E. (Rudy) Ruettiger (Sean Astin), a small-town boy from the Midwest with a big-time dream to play football for the University of Notre Dame. All his life his family and friends have told him to quit dreaming about something that can never happen, and Rudy listened because he believed they knew best.

After high school he goes to work in the local steel mill, where the tragic death of his best friend shocks him into action. Realizing that if he doesn’t make his dreams come true they never will, Rudy packs up and heads for South Bend, Indiana, home of the Fighting Irish.

This is the classic underdog story. Rudy has to struggle to get admitted into Notre Dame and then he has to overcome his own physical liabilities to make the team. But as I said earlier, this is not just a football movie. This is a story about dreams and why sometimes fighting for a dream is all you really have.

The performances are perfect all-around, including Astin who finally has a good part here after his work in <I>The Goonies<P> and <I>Toy Soldiers<P>.

Ned Beatty is well cast as the father who warns Rudy about the dangers of pursuing a dream and then failing to achieve it, but he later backs his son all the way. And Charles S. Dutton (TV’s "Roc"), as the stadium grounds-keeper who becomes a sort of mentor to Rudy, is solid as always.

Director Anspaugh is good with this type of material – his <I>Hoosiers<P> is one of the best basketball underdog movies ever made – but he occasionally lets the sentimentality get away from him, and the whole film tends to play like a Notre Dame recruiting film at times.

But if you look real hard, behind the tear-jerking and the propaganda, there’s a really good story to be told.

SURVEY CLAIMS UH LOSING GROUND

SCHOOL'S MISSIONS NOT TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

UH is ranked 146th among 204 national research universities.

Last week U.S. News & World Report published its seventh annual edition of "America’s Best Colleges." The magazine ranked 1,371 accredited four-year institutions. It excluded schools with enrollment under 200.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics for the academic year 1991-92, more than 2,500 four-year institutions, accredited and unaccredited, exist in the country.

In the survey, schools were divided into several categories using guidelines established by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

UH falls in the national universities category. In accordance with Carnegie guidelines, 204 national universities offer a wide range of baccalaureate programs, place a high priority on research and award large number of Ph.D.s.

UH is 89th in student selectivity, 143rd in faculty resources and alumni satisfaction, 172nd in financial resources and 196th in graduation rate.

The survey ranked the universities by looking at criteria such as academic reputation rank, statistical data that measured student selectivity, faculty and financial resources, graduation rates and alumni satisfaction.

In order to evaluate the academic reputation rank, the magazine asked more than 2,500 college presidents, deans and admissions directors to rate the institutions in the same category as their own schools. Participants placed each school into one of four quartiles based upon its reputation.

The resulting reputational rankings were combined with statistical data provided by the colleges to produce the four quartiles.

UH is in the quartile three, which includes schools ranked from 103rd to 153rd. UH’s academic reputation rank is 131 and its overall score places it 146th on the list.

Mel Elfin, executive editor of America’s Best Colleges, said the magazine only provided quartiles for 178 schools and did not give the scores for all of the schools. However, the scores will be published in the next year’s edition, he said.

Elfin said the magazine did not want to embarrass the colleges by publishing the scores for colleges. However, he said readers are curious, and colleges always ask where they stand.

"If you ask me candidly where I think the University of Houston ranks among large public universities in the country, I would certainly tell you in the top 100, and probably in the top 75," said UH President James Pickering.

Pickering said the university is better than the poll reflects. "I will not be happy until the poll reflects the kind of university we have."

He said UH sits in the fourth largest city. "I want to be like us, like an urban university which is different (from A&M and UT)."

Elfin said each university has a distinctive mission. "It is impossible for us to divide them. UH’s mission is different than that of Rice's, but that doesn’t mean we can not apply the standards to all universities."

The magazine ranked national liberal arts colleges, regional colleges, regional liberal arts colleges and specialized institutions separately.

"I look at other universities ranked above us in the list. I am surprised," Pickering said, "I am not going to give you examples. I am not going to pull down anybody."

He said Texas A&M University was ranked too low. A&M’s academic reputation ranked 49th in the survey and it was ranked 59th among 204 colleges.

"I am not bothered about being there," said Glenn Aumann, vice president for Academic Affairs. He said he would be bothered if the university had the resources and was misusing them.

Aumann said UH is a young university that became a state institution in 1968. He said the top 25 schools in the survey are highly selective, older colleges and the first 19 are private and well-endowed schools. The institutions in quartile three, like UH, are all fine and have their own mission, he added.

Aumann said the survey used legitimate criteria to rank colleges.

"Each individual should analyze the criteria and determine the importance of this criteria for what they are looking for in an institution," Aumann added.

Barton Herrscher, an associate professor in the College of Education, said he can’t argue against the criteria used in the survey.

Herrscher, who was the president of Mitchell College in North Carolina before coming to UH, said the survey used perceptional and hard data.

He said colleges’ academic reputation rank was based on perceptional data, which was obtained mostly from the college presidents for reputational ranks. Hersher said judging a comprehensive university is difficult because some of their programs can be distinctive while others are average.

The survey provides many inputs like average test scores, acceptance rate and student/faculty ratio but doesn’t provide outputs except the graduation rate, Hersher added. The positions that the graduates can obtain after graduation could be another output, he said.

UH’s academic reputation rank was 123rd in the last year’s survey. The magazine did not rank all of the accredited national four-year universities before but provided statistical information like student/faculty ratio, acceptance rate and average SAT/ACT scores.

Other Texas universities and their ranks: University of Texas-Austin 48th (first quartile- 27 to 51), Texas A&M University 59th (second quartile- 52 to 102), Texas Tech University 132nd (third quartile- 103 to 153) and Rice University 14th (among the best 25).

Texas Christian University is in the second quartile, Baylor University is in the third quartile, Texas Women’s University, University of North Texas and University of Texas-Arlington are in the fourth quartile (154 to 204).

The survey lists the country’s top 25 national universities (from 1 to 25): Harvard (Mass.), Princeton (N.J.),and Yale (Conn.), Universities, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Mass.), Stanford University (Calif.), Duke University (N.C.), Dartmouth College (N.H.), University of Chicago (Ill.), Cornell University (N.Y.), Columbia University (N.Y.), Brown University (R.I.), Northwestern University (Ill.), Rice University (Texas), Johns Hopkins University (Md.), University of Pennsylvania (Pa.), Georgetown University (DC), Washington University (Mo.), University of California at Berkeley (Calif.), Vanderbilt University (Tenn.), University of Virginia (Va.), University of California at Los Angeles (Calif.), University of Michigan (Mich.), Carnegie Mellon University (Pa.), Emory University (Ga.) and University of Notre Dame (Ind.).

STRONG WIND WREAKS HAVOC WITH PUNTER GEORGE'S KICKS

COLLEGE STATION – For Houston punter Thery George the difference between 74 yards and six yards was less than an inch Saturday afternoon.

The margin of error for foot-to-ball contact on a punt is less than an inch. A solid connection can send the ball soaring. Connect slightly off-center and the kick is a dying quail.

George’s longest kick against A&M was a 74-yarder. He also had a 67-yard kick that was downed inside the Aggie one-yard line.

Of the off-center variety, he had kicks of 14 and six yards. "Soaring" does not describe them. They had less hang time than a basketball-playing sumo wrestler.

"I had a couple of really bad ones," George said.

Bullets fired point-blank have been airborne longer.

"I just hit a couple of bad balls. There’s no real excuse for it," he said.

When he did connect, however, George pinned the Aggies back in the shadow of their own goalpost.

Why the inconsistency?

A 17-mph wind blowing north-to-south across the field obviously had some influence on the kicking game.

"One I thought I hit good but it just went up and died," George said.

Like a game bird in hunting season.

George said the wind is no excuse. He plans to work with special teams coach Frank Gansz on his fundamentals.

"I’m just going to go back to the basics. Coach Gansz and I have a couple of little drills we work on. Some special teams coaches don’t know much about kickers, coach Gansz does. He’s an all around special teams coach."

George had a lot of practice during the game. Because of a lackluster offense, George kicked 11 punts. He finished with a 38-yard average.

Only one punt was returned, a 56-yarder that Aaron Glenn took 12 yards back down field before TiAndre Sanders took him down.

Six of George’s punts had enough hang time and distance to prevent a return. This is a good sign.

The rest were shanked out of bounds. This is not good.

What a difference an inch makes.

A&M coach R.C. Slocum caught as many punts as any other Aggie returner. In the fourth quarter, George kicked a 26-yarder out of bounds. Slocum caught the ball in flight.