AIRING OUT THE ASTRODOME

HOUSTON VS. SMU PROVIDES FOR RUN-AND-SHOOT x 2

There might be an aerial assault in the Astrodome Saturday that even His Airness, Michael Jordan, could be proud of when Houston and Southern Methodist square off.

The Mustangs (1-3-1, 1-1 Southwest Conference) bring their version of the Run-and-Shoot to face Houston (1-4, 1-1), which could likely return to its four-wideout package thanks to key injuries in the offensive backfield.

But this seems to be the year that critics of the Run-and-Shoot finally have the fuel to fan their fire.

The Houston Oilers, with former Cougar coach Jack Pardee, are 1-4, and the Atlanta Falcons version of the Run-and-Shoot, the Red Gun, has netted them an 0-5 record. The Detroit Lions scrapped their R&S offense and hold a 3-2 record.

Neither the Mustangs nor the Cougars have been successful offensively this season. Houston, in its defense, has been progressing to a two-back set.

But injuries to running backs Lamar Smith, with a dislocated shoulder, and Tommy Guy, who sustained an ankle sprain in Wednesday's practice, have forced head coach Kim Helton to reconsider his stance on the four-wide receiver scheme.

It's a move Helton didn't want to make because he says it gives SMU an advantage.

"When you have mismatches in four-wideout, you can't do anything about it," Helton said. "The two-back set give you better protection.

"If we had all our parts, we'd be right in there with (the Mustangs). But they're probably a bit better than us."

"They're not the same SMU team they were a few years ago," said TiAndre Sanders, who will move from fullback to running back to fill Smith's vacancy.

No, the Mustangs are not the same team that returned from the NCAA death penalty in 1989.

The Cougars whipped the mostly freshmen team 95-21 that year in the Astrodome when former coach John Jenkins was the offensive coordinator and began his infamous legacy of running up the score.

SMU -- the freshmen finally seniors -- scored its payback last year in Dallas with a Houston-humbling 41-16 victory and a 5-6 finish.

Those seniors have since graduated, but the team still has a capable offense when it comes to moving the football, averaging 326 yards a game.

The problem for the Mustangs, who have scored only five touchdowns including three in a victory over Texas Christian, has been finding the end zone. They are averaging a measly 13 points per contest.

The defense has given SMU chances to win, holding opponents to 18 points and collecting 14 sacks. Defensive end Adam Voyles leads the team with four followed by Chad Patton, a pre-season All-America candidate, with three.

The Mustangs' lone embarrassment was a 31-12 loss to Baylor last week. The Bears didn't throw a pass the whole game while collecting 482 yards rushing behind an offensive line that averages 292 pounds.

With the injuries to the backs, Houston will be hard-pressed to initiate a powerful running game.

The air show starts at 2 p.m.

*******************************************************

PICNIC HAS NO ANTS

by Laura Boggus

What a beautiful day for a picnic – especially when it’s presented by University of Houston’s School of Theater.

<I>Picnic<P> opens University of Houston’s School of Theater 1993—1994 season.

Directed by James Belcher, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the Critic’s Circle Award, <I>Picnic<P> takes place in a very potent female environment disrupted by a rough male presence.

It may be the same old story of a man entering a woman’s life and turning it upside down with a romantic flair, but it does go deep enough to explore the psyche of its female participants.

<I>Picnic<P> is concerned with the lives of five women living in two households side by side. Millie Owens and her two daughters, Millie and Madge with a boarder – old maid school teacher Rosemary – all interact with their neighbor Helen Potts in an intense feminine atmosphere.

Helen Potts, victim to a demanding sick mother (whom we never see), hires a young man new to town to help with some of her chores. The young man, Hal, played by Jason Scott Douglas, disrupts the lives of these women in their small Kansas hometown.

Jason gives a brilliant performance as the hard-luck boy trying to pull himself up by the bootstraps.

Robin Proett, as Flo Owens, portrays the overprotective mother who enforces the different social expectations between her pretty daughter and her smart daughter. Erin Baker as Millie, the smart daughter, is dynamic in her role as the brainy tomboy who dreams of leaving that small Kansas town in search of her own fame and fortune without the need of a man.

Madge, her sister, played by Allison Keith is the pretty one; an object to be looked at and not heard. The stereotype is perpetuated by her mother’s insistence that she look pretty and catch a husband before it’s too late.

Madge’s boyfriend, Alan Seymour, portrayed by Travis Baker, appreciates her beauty but sees her, out of social pressure and obligation, to have the "prize" as a girlfriend.

Erica K. Garrison as Rosemary, the old maid school teacher, takes us into the depths of a woman’s mind who sees her youth fading fast and desperately tries to latch on to security – her boyfriend Howard Bevins (Darin Garrett). Erica instills such a sense of urgency in her character that it greatly aids in the ability to identify with her.

Rea Polluck brings convincing life to Helen Potts, a woman trapped by her ailing mother out of marriage and into the home as a caretaker.

All creative directors collaborated well to create a believable set. Set designer Jonathan Middents creates a nostalgic country backyard in which the action takes place.

Sound designer Heath Hayner adds the perfect sound effects; effectually mimicking the sweet sounds of small, country town existence. John Demous, lighting designer, filled the stage with soft country sunshine, creating an aura of nostalgia – a time when dreams were dreamt and girls struggled to be women.

With the emergence of the hard-luck, rough-edged man, Hal, these five women begin to explore their lives and they dream of breaking free from the chains of their repressed lives. Although they may never break away from the traditional roles they play as puppets, they do not remain the same.

HISD PREVIEW UH CAMPUS LIFE

by Tammy Gamble

The UH Athletic Department is helping to show young students that school can be fun.

Elementary school students throughout the Houston Independent School District are being encouraged to pursue higher education through a program in conjunction with the UH Athletic Department, area school districts and concerned business leaders.

"We want to reach out to children while they still can be impressed and give them a positive outlook on the future," said Bob Berry, a Houston area real estate broker.

Deciding it was time to give something back to the community, Berry chose to use creative ways to target underprivileged HISD children.

The program allows children to attend UH football and basketball games and tour the UH campus.

The program will reach a high point at the UH vs Cincinnati game on Nov. 13 with more than 10,000 students in HISD attending the game, Berry said. After the game, students will be able to talk and get autographs of the football players, cheerleaders and band members.

During basketball season, between 500 and 1,000 students will arrive on campus 90 minutes before the game to tour the campus and meet professors and administration. Students will then be treated to the basketball game and afterwards be able to meet the players, coaches and cheerleaders.

"The basketball games work better because there are fewer players," Berry said. Additionally, at the basketball games the students will have direct exposure to the campus, and organizers hope the students will be convinced to not only remain in school but also thrive in their classrooms.

The games will be free to the students, teachers and principals attending with the funds coming from Houston area business leaders and citizens. For football games, the Athletic Department also negotiated with the Houston Sports Association at the Astrodome for an agreement allowing UH to pull extra tickets.

"We are very excited about the program. We need to develop ways to show interest in youth and get them interested in attending college," said Bobby Risinger, UH associate athletic director.

"We inject an educational opportunity into the children by having them come to campus and meet professors, administrators and students. While they feel and touch the university, their eyes are as wide as silver dollars," Berry said.

The program began last year as a small pilot program at Wesley Elementary with approximately 300 students attending the UH vs Rice football game. The students were so impressed with the football game that the program was enlarged to have the students attend several UH basketball games last year, Berry said.

"This is a way of giving them sugar but still getting the message across," Berry said. Many of these students come from single-family homes where they are not exposed to many social opportunities, Berry said. Through the games, the students are given an opportunity to have fun, but they are also told of the long-time educational benefits possible if they stay in school and prosper, Berry said.

"The chances of thousands of students going to college is enhanced by this program. To talk about it is one thing, but to give them bricks and mortar is another thing," Berry said.

UH will also benefit from this program as many people impressed with the program realize what the UH Athletic Department is doing and wants to help, Berry said. "You will find alumni from all different colleges contributing to the UH program," Berry said.

The program will be enhanced next year by spreading the opportunity to surrounding school districts. Plans are also being made to increase the number of basketball games the students will be able to attend.

"If someone's child has a desire to go the college, they will find a way. There are plenty of people like me who will help them find a way," Berry said.

STUDENT PUTS FEAR IN DEPARTMENT

An on-going saga plaguing the History Department has become a battle of letter-sending and name-calling.

At the center of this sordid tale is a doctoral student named Fabian Vaksman, armed with an epic poem called "RRacist."

Vaksman's quarrel with UH began when he received a letter from the History Department in 1986 notifying him of his expulsion from the doctoral program for not making progress on his dissertation and being a "polemicist who substitutes political ideology for original research and scholarly analysis." A polemicist is someone practiced in the art of disputing.

Vaksman filed a law suit against UH in 1896, saying the book he wrote, <I>Ideological Struggle<P>, was rejected by the History Department, as his dissertation, solely because faculty disagreed with the views he expressed.

"I rejected Vaksman's dissertation because it was more Russian History than American History," said Clifford Egan, a UH history professor and Vaksman''s doctoral advisor.

District Judge Don E. Wittig ruled in favor of Vaksman, awarding him $122,500 in legal fees, actual damage and emotional duress, and ordered UH to reinstate him into the doctoral program.

Although UH is appealing this decision, Vaksman was reinstated and proceeded to write an epic poem, "RRacist," which describes how an aspiring researcher at a state university brutally murders five faculty members for expelling him from the doctoral program.

The poem sent shock waves through the History Department because of the extreme likeness between the murdered fictional characters in the poem and actual faculty members at UH.

UH officials responded to the poem by placing an armed guard outside the history offices on the fifth floor of Agnes Arnold Hall.

Guards manned the post until June 15 when extra patrols were added to the area, and the history faculty was asked to only be on campus during the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

"UH was very smart to have placed a guard by the history offices. They should have taken the poem as a threat," said a UH psychologist who insisted on anonymity.

"I feel (Vaksman) may be potentially dangerous and there is enough of a cause to request a mental-health bench warrant to determine his potential danger to others," said the psychologist.

It has been seven years and the war between Vaksman and UH continues to be waged in the form of appeals, meetings and letter-sending.

Vaksman equates the History Department's reaction to "RRacist" as that of "Don Quixote fighting the windmills."

"These stupid people refuse to believe my book is fiction," said Vaksman, "because they are stupid."

In several letters sent to various UH officials, Vaksman vehemently contends that his poem is purely fiction and he only used faculty members as prototypes to typify a situation that currently exists in all American universities.

Vaksman said the ideas expressed in <I>Ideological Struggle<P> are being opposed because "bullies, demagogues and scatterbrains are running our academic institutions."

Vaksman further explains his purpose for writing "RRacist" in a letter sent to Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for Administration and Finance, by explaining that UH is a victim of the "Iowa Syndrome."

The Syndrome (alluding to the killing of faculty members by students at Iowa State University) refers to an academic institution raising the level of minority students to meet statistical quotas.

Vaksman's Iowa Syndrome contends that the raising of minority student enrollment leads to a lowering of intellectual standards and an escalation of racial tension with the possibility of violence.

"My integrity would not allow me to ignore my experience with UH. It is my duty as a historian to work through my personal problems and put them into historical perspective," said Vaksman.

Vaksman is still enrolled in the doctoral program and the defendants of the original suit are not allowed to have any dealings with Vaksman concerning work on his doctoral thesis, which is due Sept. 30, 1994.

Nancy Footer, legal counsel for UH, has also instructed Vaksman not to discuss his outside literary endeavors with any UH faculty member unless it is through her.

"I don't want to keep tabs on his work. I have simply asked him to not discuss anything about 'RRacist' with (UH) unless I am present," said Footer.

Although the current skirmishes have tapered off to that of a paper war, some faculty members are still leery of Vaksman's intentions.

"We are handling him with 'kid gloves' because no one wants to confront him. All we can do is hang in there until the situation is resolved," said a UH history professor who asked to remain anonymous.

Vaksman has kept up the fight by writing the treatment for "RRacist II," putting the original "RRacist" into a screenplay format and petitioning the Supreme Court to hear his case.

"This case has poisoned the History Department and should have been settled a long time ago," said Egan. But until the appeal has been resolved, the saga between Vaksman and UH will continue.

QUESTION THE MUSIC YOU HEAR

by Tony Lanman

There are a lot of bands in Houston, each playing a different type of music. When I am talking to someone about a band that I haven’t heard before, I’ll naturally ask them what type of music it is.

I’m surprised at how many people can’t tell me. A lot of people resort to comparing the band to some national band, which is almost always way off the mark.

And try as hard as possible not to use the classification "alternative" when describing a band. Nothing is more ambiguous than the word "alternative". Some of the genres one can use to describe bands follow: rock, country, alternative, rap, punk, heavy metal, thrash, progressive rock, art rock, pop, dance, industrial, blues, funk, reggae/ska, experimental, jazz, classical, grunge, soul, fusion and many others.

The ideal way to describe bands is to use a combination of these genres if it applies. That way you can give a better idea of what the band sounds like.

There are certain elements one should look at when judging a band. These being the musical aspect, the lyrical aspect, and the showmanship aspect. As sort of a generic band, I’ll be using the standard guitar/bass/drum/vocals format. I realize that I’m leaving out several forms of music, but what I propose can be applied to any type.

When listening to the guitar(s), try and hear what’s going on. What type of chords is he using? Is he using power chords (punk, thrash), is he using jazz chords? What about major chords (country, folk, "folky alternative")? What about dissonant chords? Is the guitarist using a combination of all of these?

What do the songs consist of? Are they three chords over and over again? Are they an intricate pattern of constantly changing chords, melodic patterns and sections? Is the music somewhere in between? If it is, where? What is the guitar’s tone – distorted, clean, or a combination? What are the guitar types being used? Are they using acoustic guitars, electric, or both?

How is the music itself constructed? Is it the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus, or is it sporadic and in no particular form? Look at the bassist. Is he playing root notes along with what the guitarist is playing or is he playing a line separate from what the guitarist is playing?

What about the vocals (if any)? Does the singer possess his own voice, or does he sound like some famous existing singer? Are the lyrics original? Are they about love, women, relationships, drinking, drugs, satanism (unoriginal) or are they original themes (assuming you can understand what the singer is saying)?

You might be asking, "Well, what are the answers?" That is what you have to figure out for yourself. The whole thing revolves around the questions of are they good musicians and is their music original. There are many other factors to consider, but this is not a music appreciation textbook and due to space constraints, I must leave them out.

One last note: If you are in a band or know someone who is, drop me a tape and I’ll listen to it and maybe even review it in this very paper (I make no promises).

Drop it off in Room 151 of the Communications Building.

UH PLANS TO INCREASE RETENTION

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

The seventh annual U.S. News and World Report survey ranked UH 131 academically out of 204 accredited four-year national research universities and more than 2,500 universities nationwide.

Graduation rate is one of the five criteria that the magazine used to rank the schools. UH scored 196th in this category with a 27 percent graduation rate.

UH is ranked 89th for student selectivity, 172nd for financial resources and 143rd for faculty resources and alumni satisfaction

Graduation rate was based on the average percentage of students in the 1983 to 1986 freshmen classes who graduated within six years of their initial enrollment.

President James Pickering said because most of the UH students work and have families, they don’t graduate in four years as students in residential schools do.

The 204 schools in the survey are a mix of private, residential, public and urban institutions.

He said either more students take more than six years for students to graduate from UH, or they transfer to somewhere else.

"I would be disturbed if people wanted a degree from us and they couldn’t get it," he added.

He said graduation rate includes only the number of degree students who become alumni.

Glenn Aumann, vice president for Academic Affairs, also emphasized UH’s mission but said the university has to work on student retention.

He said UH has projects related to student retention.

Shirley Ezell, new project’s coordinator and associate vice president for academic programs, said the magazine’s question should be different to evaluate graduation rates. She said the number of students working toward a degree who came to UH and graduated six or 10 years later would provide a better idea about graduation rates.

"If you are a part-time student, it is less likely you have a degree objective," she said.

She said the new project, which will be presented to the president, aims to provide an on campus academic and social home for students.

She said among the fall 1994 freshmen admissions, 300 students will be randomly chosen and asked to participate in the pilot project. Regardless of their majors the students will attend many of the basic courses together until graduation.

"What makes colleges work," she said, "is interaction with peers. We will look for ways to keep you from running to your job and from running to your home."

She said if the program succeeds, more students can be involved.

Can UH be a residential university in the future?

Hyland Packard, director of university studies division at Academic Advising Center, said the vital point is not living on campus but having the experiences that students have in small colleges.

In the fall of 1992, only seven percent of UH’s 33,000 students lived on campus.

Packard said the graduation rate needs to be improved.

Gerald Osborne, assistant vice president at Counseling and Testing Service, said institutions of higher education will be like UH in the future. Most of the people will both work and attend universities, he said.

"We are ahead of the game. This kind of institution will be a model," he added.

A tutoring project, a summer enrichment program, the Bridge Program and the the Challenger Program are a few of the efforts of various departments in the continuing move to improve student retention.

SEND TWO GRADUATION GIFTS NEXT MAY TO THIS UH FAMILY

Mom's comeback means competition with her son

by Debbie Callier

When Jackie Brown started college in 1966 she never doubted she would graduate. However, life got in her way.

Marriage, motherhood, illness and a myriad of obligations intervened, but nothing has stopped Jackie. She plans to graduate with a BA in English next spring.

She’s not the only UH senior in her family either. While she attends an American literature class in Roy Cullen, her 23-year-old son Daryl, is a few buildings away in a thermofluids lab. He plans to graduate in December in mechanical engineering.

Daryl graduated from Lamar High School with scholarships to both West Point and the Air force Academy. Daryl said after four years in Lamar’s ROTC program, he planned to follow in his father’s footsteps in the military. Daryl had progressed from unit commander to brigade commander in charge of four schools. Daryl’s dad is a sergeant of a MASH unit in Washington D.C.

"I lead and I lead well, but at the Academy I learned the military is not my lifestyle," Daryl said. "I like UH a million times better."

Daryl said at UH he has choice and freedom and has found he loves engineering. Engineers design things, implement plans and lead projects, he said.

Another thing Daryl enjoys at UH is being in school with his mother.

"People who know both of us are surprised to learn we are mother and son," Daryl said.

Daryl and Jackie don’t look, think or act alike. At least not on the surface.

Daryl has a football player’s build and the calm determination of a man who is going to get a bridge built no matter how swift the river.

Jackie is vivacious, looking like she would rather fly across the river than wait for Daryl’s bridge.

They are engineer and artist.

"I look at the fountains on campus and wonder why the water, as it falls, looks white, (and) why it has a column-like shape," Daryl said. "I think of the pump underneath."

Jackie focuses on the fountain’s beauty. "Water comes down in forms that bring on emotions," she said. "What you see is based on personal experience."

"I want the feeling," she said. "He wants the understanding."

Jackie and Daryl use their differences to compete against each other.

"We compete in everything," Jackie said. "An example? We’re Jeopardy addicts. I tape it everyday, and after we finish our homework, we watch it. Daryl is a lot better on the science and geography questions, but I win on experience."

Playing Jeopardy isn’t the only place where experience has paid off for Jackie. When her political science class covered the ’60s civil rights period, she had actual memories to study.

"(The class) wasn’t history," she said. "It was my life." Jackie was a freshman at Alcorn State, a small, black college in rural Mississippi in 1966.

Jackie came to UH in 1987 when Daryl was in high school. She’s been on the dean’s list every semester and has a 3.7 GPA. Because of health problems, this has been no simple task, she said.

Crohn’s disease, a chronic, incurable intestinal ailment, regularly sends her to the hospital for tests, operations and treatment.

Her life is filled with other responsibilities. She is a judge for Precinct 288, who is in charge of all the details of preparing for the Nov. 2 elections. She is also a court appointed special advocate for abused children removed from their homes.

"I feel obligated to do what I can about my surroundings," she said. "I care about my neighborhood."

Jackie said returning to school was scary at first.

"I didn’t think I’d be able to retain anything," she said. "I thought, ‘who’s Pythagoras anyway?’ Then (school) became important (and) fun. Now I enjoy studying."

GET TO KNOW THE 1993 HOMECOMING COURT

<B>Carolyn Sukup<P>, senior accounting major representing the Residence Halls Association.

Future goals: Join the Peace Corps. Then get an MBA and pursue international business.

Nomination reaction: "I couldn’t believe it. I thought ‘You people are crazy!’ "

Best UH memory: Time spent as an Orientation Leader

Most embarrassing UH moment: "I can’t think of any."

<B>Julianne Pond<P> senior sociology major representing Phi Mu.

Future goals: She wants to pursue social work for AIDS victims. Then go to graduate school in sociology.

Nomination reaction: "I was honored to be associated with the others chosen for the court."

Best UH memory: Honors College Retreat programs. "I met some of my closest friends here."

Most embarrassing UH moment: "Once when I parked my car in the parking lot, I took my key out, but my car kept knocking and jumping. The timing was off. Lots of people were looking at me."

<B>Kim Redman<P>, senior accounting major representing Delta Gamma.

Future goals: Join a CPA firm and be involved as a UH alumna.

Nomination reaction: "I was happy that all my hard work paid off."

Best UH memory: Baylor pep rally. Delta Gamma was the only group to have all members present, so they won a Astrodome sky box spot to watch the game.

Most embarrassing UH moment: "When I was a freshman, I walked into a chemistry class I thought was my economic class."

<B>Gerardo Balboa<P>, senior finance major representing Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Future goals: Working for Tenneco, getting an MBA and becoming an entrepreneur.

Nomination reaction: "I was pretty nervous. I was the last one called, but I was happy."

Best UH memory: The 1989 football season. "I’d go with friends to the games, we were winning and it was great."

Most embarrassing UH moment: "When I was a freshman, I stepped into a class, and at the end of the class, I realized it was the wrong class."

<B>Chris Salinas<P>, senior political science major representing Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Future goals: Traveling in Europe and graduate school for political science.

Nomination reaction: He was surprised because he wasn’t concentrating on the announcer. "I was thirsty and looking around."

Best UH memory: 1993 Frontier Fiesta "I had fun all day and night and the next day, too."

Most embarrassing UH memory: Standing in front of so many people when the 1993 homecoming court was chosen.

<B>Michael Gapinski<P>, senior mechanical engineering major representing Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Future goals: Work as a chemical engineer and eventually get an MBA.

Nomination reaction: "I was glad the anxiety was over."

Best UH memory: 1991 Homecoming He was in charge of the TEKE homecoming events, and his fraternity won the spirit and sweepstakes trophy.

Most embarrassing UH moment: "I occasionally fall off my bike while riding across campus."

<B>Scott Sonsalla<P>, senior management major representing Delta Sigma Phi.

Future goals: "In December, I’ll be commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army. I want to work in the infantry and as a Ranger."

Nomination reaction: "Oh no, they’re running out of spots!" He was the second to last court member chosen.

Best UH memory: When his parents came to the 1992 Homecoming. This was only their second trip to Houston. They were nominated as Parents of the Year.

Most embarrassing UH moment: "When I came to get my dorm room, my roommate was a girl. They didn’t let us stay roommates."

<B>Jerry Alwais<P>, junior journalism major representing the Residence Halls Association.

Future goals: Become politically involved.

Nomination reaction: Surprise and honor.

Best UH memory: The 1990 football season. "This was a very exciting and positive time."

Most embarrassing UH memory: "Two weeks ago, I realized I was on TV as a bleacher creature with paint dripping all down my face."

TRADITION + SPIRIT + PRIDE: ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS OF UH HOMECOMING WEEKEND

by Thomas Hewett

All right UH students, it’s time to show school spirit. For those souls who may not know, Homecoming weekend is upon us.

The celebration kicks off tonight at 7 p.m. with the "Yell Like Hell" pep rally at Lynn-Eusan Park followed at 8 p.m. by a "Mustang Meltdown" bonfire in the field across from UH entrance 1.

The bonfire and pep rally are big traditions of homecoming and, typically, the mascot of the opposing team is burned, said Frank Holmes, executive vice president of the Alumni Organization.

The Student Program Board is also sponsoring a dance from 9 p.m.—12 a.m. in the University Center Houston Room after the bonfire.

Tomorrow’s UH-SMU game begins at 2 p.m. in the Astrodome. UH hasn’t lost a Homecoming contest since 1986, when the University of Arkansas beat the Cougars 30-13.

According to many UH students, honoring the homecoming tradition is important.

"Homecoming is very necessary," said Scott Collier, a freshman civil engineering major. "Students should be proud of their school."

Several different responses were elicited when students were asked:<I>What does Homecoming mean to you?<P>

"It’s special," said Joy Vinluan, a freshman biology major. "It’s a chance for old and new students to come together and celebrate."

Homecoming gives students an opportunity to take pride in their school, said Raitima Odums, a freshman accounting major.

"It’s getting excited about UH," Odums said.

John Hoke, a senior architecture major, said, "It’s a good excuse (for alumni) to come back and hang out, see what’s new."

This weekend, both students and alumni can participate in this year’s homecoming theme – the Renaissance.

LADY AGGIES DROP COOGS TO END 10-MATCH VOLLEYBALL LOSING SKID

The Texas A&M women’s volleyball team ended a ten match losing streak by defeating the Houston Cougars 15-7, 6-15,15-9 and 15-11 Wednesday night at G. Rollie White Coliseum.

The last time A&M defeated Houston was on Nov. 11, 1987, when the Lady Aggies won 14-16, 15-9, 16-14 and 15-5 at Houston.

Although A&M had problems putting the match away, A&M head coach Laurie Corbelli said she was glad to get the win over a tough Houston team.

"I got frustrated because things were not doing the things they’d done before," Corbelli said. "Our play is so up and down at times. We’ve identified that as a problem already though. But I didn’t doubt that we could come back into our game."

"Houston didn’t seem to be ready for our middle, and that hurt them But they are a much better team than they showed tonight."

Senior outside hitter Shelia Morgan paced the Lady Aggies with 18 kills, and senior middle blockers Amy Kisling and Kim Mitchell added 15 and 13, respectively. Mitchell led the team with a .333 hitting percentage and a match-high seven blocks.

Sophomore setter Suzy Wente posted match highs with 56 assists and 19 digs.

The Houston attack was led by junior outside hitter Lilly Denoon, who recorded a match-high 23 kills. Senior outside hitter Wendy Munzel added 11 and registered a match-high .375 hitting percentage.

Junior Carla Maul posted 19 digs, and freshman setter Sami sawyer recorded 49 assists to lead the Cougars.

As a team, A&M outhit the Cougars .197 to .191 and outblocked the Cougars 12 to 7. The Aggies improved their record to 18-4 overall and 4-1 in the Southwest Conference.

Houston dropped to 5-12 and 2-4 in SWC play. With half the season over, A&M is in second place behind Texas. The Cougars are fourth ahead of Texas Tech and Rice.