BOWL DREAMS HINGE ON 5-0 RECORD

COUGARS NEED UNBEATEN RUN TO FINISH SEASON

Houston's bowl chances, which were slim at best, took a nose dive after placekicker Trace Craft missed a game-winning 36-yard field goal Saturday against Southern Methodist.

The kick sailed wide to the left and preserved a 28-28 tie that neither the Cougars, with a 1-1-1 Southwest Conference record, nor the Mustangs, also at 1-1-1, were happy about.

Both teams had chances to put the game away and both teams came away empty.

Now the Cougars, like SMU, are forced to win their remaining five games if they hope to be considered for one of the Southwest Conference's three bowl spots.

"We have a chance to go to a bowl game," said Houston head coach Kim Helton. "I don't know how much better (the team) will play. We'll be a made or missed kick away from winning (the rest of our games)."

Texas A&M, with a 3-0 SWC record, has a third consecutive trip to the Cotton Bowl all but sewn up.

That leaves the John Hancock Bowl in El Paso and the inaugural Alamo Bowl in San Antonio for the second and third place SWC teams respectively, provided they meet the required six Division I-A wins to be eligible for a bowl game.

Which means Houston, with its lone 24-3 win against Baylor, must win all its remaining games. And it won't be easy.

After a bye this weekend, the Cougars face Texas Christian (2-4, 0-2) Oct. 30 in Fort Worth, where Houston began its current 0-10 road streak in a 49-45 loss to the Horned Frogs in 1991. The Cougars are 0-3 on the road this year.

When the Cougars return home for an ESPN Thursday night encounter with Texas on Nov. 4, they will have only three days to recover and prepare for the Longhorns. Judging Texas' ability has been difficult this year.

The Longhorns blew out Rice and took then sixth-ranked Syracuse (now No. 23) to a 21-21 tie. But they in turn were blown out by Louisville, Colorado and Oklahoma, which are all ranked No. 20 or higher.

"All the games we have left are going to be tough," said defensive right tackle Stephen Dixon. Houston's opponents have a combined record of 13-18-1. "Texas Tech and Texas are better than their records indicate."

And so, it seems, is Cincinnati, which Houston plays Nov. 13 at home in its final non-conference game of the season.

The Bearcats (4-3) played Syracuse close before losing 24-21 and beat Tulsa the following week in Oklahoma. Tulsa beat Houston 38-24 in the Cougars' home opener in the Astrodome.

The Cougars then go head-to-head with Texas Tech (2-5, 1-2) in a "home" game at the new Alamodome in San Antonio.

Tech's vaunted offense of quarterback Robert Hall, running back Byron "Bam" Morris and receiver Lloyd Hill has lived up to its expectations, ranking in the top 20 in the nation.

It's the Red Raider defense that has been lackluster in giving up fourth-quarter leads three times this season.

Houston wraps up the season at Rice, where the Owls (4-3, 1-2) currently hold a seven-game winning streak. But Houston always plays Rice tough and has beaten the Owls the last six times the two teams have met.

Injuries to the offensive and defensive backfields have forced Houston to use players with little or no experience, and it shows.

The 28 points allowed the SMU offense was 15 more than its scoring average of 13 points per game.

Running backs TiAndre Sanders and Donald Moffett have done well in place of Lamar Smith. They amassed 270 of Houston's 437 yards against the Mustangs.

So which team does Helton fear the most of the remaining five opponents?

"TCU," he said. Why? "They're next."

*******************************************************

MEXICAN MOON HANGS OVER A SEA OF POP

by Melissa b. Brady

When listening to "Joey," one could realize that a vibrator would be more synthetically sensual, but Concrete Blonde's new and final album is harder and smoother than any new sex toy, with or without love bumps.

Entitled <I>Mexican Moon<P>, the three-member coterie creates melodies and feedback that pours over your senses like a sheer rain of moonlight on a clear night; you don't want it to end. You want the moonbeams to overtake the mundane sunlight of pop one usually- unwilling- exist on.

The 13-song release contains several ditties ranging from prominent religious reevaluations to groupie lust, and then maturity to 100-year-old wounds still in the process of scabbing to lunar love songs about Mexico and Mexican culture.

<I>Mexican Moon<P>, the only album of the previous four the band has produced, reflects effort that creates freeing and liberating sounds. Ironic, because the members were experiencing a difficult time during the recording session (personal and professional problems, including the death of the guitar player's mother while in the studio).

In lieu of hardship, the listener can realize that sometimes even production can be felt in the back of the neck and the pit of the stomach.

Johnette has a creamy, peanut butter smooth voice, mature and expressive. She is sedate as a heroin junkie slinking out her slow enunciating cocoon to mutate under the influence of sounds echoing off four walls. Highly hypnotic.

The drumming of Harry Rushakoff creates a trunk from where the branches of Johnette's sermon can be sung while James Mankey's guitar influences the speed of the seasonal changes in the leaves. Piano solos surprisingly accompany this album on several notable songs like <I>(Love is a) Blind Ambition<P> and the title track. <I>Mexican Moon<P> has "extras" unlike the other songs on the album, complete with mariachis and splashes of tequila to add a festive flavor for this, a distant love song. ("Thinking of you underneath the Mexican Moon light.") Johnette has also reserved the last space on the album for the Spanish version of this song.

<I>Jonestown<P>, <I>I Call it Love,<P> and <I>Jesus Forgive Me (For The Things I'm About To Say)<P>, all tell of people — societies — who have given themselves over to highly intellectual ideas of pearly gates and Dante's Inferno. In Jonestown, for example, the strong distorted vocals spout "They're looking for someone/They're looking for Christ/They're looking for some human sacrifice/."

It continues, "Unless you tell them what to think, they don't know what they know." <I>Jonestown<P> slices at least three layers of most human flesh. Bloody good.

Concrete Blonde's latest and final album is an unexpected pleasure for the ears and imagination. Pay up and start to fly on dreams, listeners.

FUNICELLO NOT MOUSEY ON NEW BOXED SET

Smell the candles at the Altar of Annette, because the torch is still burning.

Annette Funicello is still one of popular culture’s most recognized, almost mythical icons.

Her toothy grin was embedded into the minds of many from her work on <I>The Mickey Mouse Club<P> from 1955-1958. Still more recall her beach movies, <I>Beach Party<P>, <I>Muscle Beach Party<P> and <I>Beach Blanket Bingo<P> among others.

To a generation, Funicello is still the epitome of the nice girl, wholesome and polite, and such a nostalgia shows no sign of abating.

On <I>Annette: A Musical Reunion with America’s Girl Next Door<P>, Disney Records’ new boxed set, the world becomes reacquainted with Funicello’s second success: music. Over 15 albums, Funicello scored many hits and sang with the likes of Paul Anka on the way to immortality. This new 2-CD set tries to capture the magic of our favorite Mouseketeer.

<I>Annette<P> features five never-before-released song versions, six rare session bites collected from original master tapes and 22 tracks remixed into 1960s stereo format. A newly recorded spoken tribute to Funicello is tagged on at the end, although it’s syrupy and awfully dull.

What makes this boxed set so invaluable is its coverage of a musical era, one where light substance and a cute hook ruled. Funicello is undeniably adorable when she sings inocuous lyrics over an even sillier beat. What's best is that she's completely honest and believable in singing beach songs and Italianesque make-believe and more under the tutelage of composers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman.

Funicello's beloved "Tall Paul," with its newly-added rehearsal soundbite, gets the hit machine turning on Disc One. It '60s remastering, and that of many of the tunes here, could have anyone closing their eyes and thinking of clunky, orange record players and 45 RPM singles with big holes in the center.

Funicello rocks the house throughout Disc One on such staples as "Pineapple Princess," "Don't Jump to Conclusions," "Luau Cha Cha Cha" and the guitar-hero "Strummin' Song." The production here, by Michael Leon and Randy Thorton, is very polished. Even the songs' original producer, Tutti Camrata, joins the duo in remastering the set, thus assuring a degree of faithfulness to the originals.

Disc Two is the chronological set's glimpse into Funicello's memorable surf days, and it blows open the doors with the rollicking opener, "Danceanette." From there, Funicello just continues to throw it down hardcore, with "Rock-A-Polka," "The Parent Trap" and "Blame It On The Bossa Nova" leading the charge. These grooves are among the best pop has ever produced, and Funicello fills the bill with consumate skill.

<I>Annette<P> even ups the ante with a well-researched 44-page book all about Annette and her television, film and music exploits. It's eye-catching, easily readable and a great primer to the huddled masses yearning to breathe the majesty that is "Beach Party Tonight."

<I>Annette<P>, with its energy and spunk, ranks among the year's best retrospectives. It's a set that will have you doing the Foxtrot, the Charleston and the Monkey all over again—or at least whaling around to some close approximation of those.

COLLEGE TRYING TO RETAIN ENGINEERING WOMEN

by Edward Duffin

The field of engineering has long been characterized as a male-dominated industry; however, the College of Engineering has taken steps to elevate that image.

The college has developed a mentor program that will grow over the next several years and serve all incoming freshmen, said Dion McInnis, director of Engineering External Affairs.

The Engineering Mentor Program, in its pilot year, is the brainchild of Siddika Demir, a senior civil engineering major. "For the first year the target is women," said Demir. She notes that by the senior year, there are only a few women in the upper-level courses.

Program organizers emphasized that they are not trying to further fracture the population. Eventually the program will be expanded to include all incoming freshman, regardless of gender.

"There are a lot of fields in engineering where women barely exist," said McInnis. "A woman in engineering is a ground-breaker."

A recent survey by the American Association of University Women cited several factors that could attribute to low female involvement in the field of engineering.

Females receive much less attention in the classroom than do men, according to the study. The study also noted that most standardized tests are biased against females.

In addition, the research says women do not get the same amount of encouragement to pursue scientific careers.

By offering all incoming female freshmen the opportunity to pair up with a mentor in industry, the college hopes to break this cycle. "Freshmen to professional -- that's the magic," said McInnis.

"Mentors are experienced people. I think that's the way to learn about your future," said Demir.

Currently there are 27 active members in the mentor program, which was near the college's goal of 25 percent involvement (28 of the 114 female freshmen).

In order to foster a solid mentor-mentee realitionship, participants receive an informal newsletter that announces upcoming social events and ideas. The students are also urged to have one-on-one meetings with their mentors as often as possible.

Mentors were recruited from small businesses as well as large corporations like Texaco that responded aggressively by providing the program with 11 mentors.

PROGRAM RECEIVES BOOST FROM GRANT

With the help of a grant, UH may be expanding its efforts to increase diversity.

UH is expanding its African and African American studies program, upon receipt of a $2.2 million Challenge Grant National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). The money will be administered over a three year period with the NEH giving $532,000 and the Cullen Foundation raising $1.7 million.

"At a time when faculty is diminishing, this is a real boost for the university," said Steven Mintz, director of the African and African American Studies program.

This money will provide funds to establish two endowed chairs -- one chair of African History and one in African American Literature. It will also provide money for graduate fellowships.

There is also a possibility this grant will increase to $5 million through the Cullen Foundation, which would establish a third chair in African American Politics.

"Over the next three years, I have no doubt there will be five million in the kitty," said Mintz.

"The university would not be talking about (the $5 million) if it was not feasible," said Julie Norris, director of Sponsored Programs.

The NEH grant covers humanities and political science, but is not considered under their jurisdiction.

"(The Grant) will attract students to the chair-holders, who will then be attracted to teaching," said James Pickering, university President.

We need to have a student body which reflects this city, he said.

This particular grant, known as a Challenge Grant, was awarded to only eight other colleges nationwide.

It is among the most prestigious awards the NEH gives, he said.

"We sent a lot of UH info to the NEH, and clearly they had a good impression of the university. And this will help other departments receive other grants in the future," Mintz said.

"This is an extremely prestigious award for the university," said Norris.

This will not establish an African studies or African American studies major.

STUDENTS SPLIT ON HAITI INTERVENTION

More than 50 percent of 104 UH students polled disapprove of U.S. foreign policy in Haiti. Twenty-nine percent of students approve, with 19 percent undecided.

Tensions between the United Nations and Haiti escalated recently when armed Haitian citizens prevented a ship containing American and Canadian military personnel from docking in Port-Au-Prince.

Warships are anchored in the harbor with plans to enforce a United Nations arms and oil embargo, effective midnight Monday.

Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the president of Haiti, told Jesse Jackson during a CNN interview Saturday, "If I ask for a military intervention, I will be impeached by the constitution of the Republic of Haiti."

"I was in Panama and Saudi, and I strongly disagree (with the policy in Haiti). We're not the world's keeper," said Garrett Dadd, a junior biology major.

Ron Capehart, a political science senior said, "Let's just get in there and do it. It's ignorant to think we can jump out of all things foreign. Get our goals straight and get it done."

Student sentiment seems to be leaning toward isolationism, as evidenced by the more than 60 percent of students polled who disapprove of the U.S. actions in Somalia.

"The U.S. should not have imperialist attacks against Latin third-world countries," said Alex Escobar, a biology sophomore.

Sherryl Clark, an English senior, said, "Why is it any of our business. It really infuriates me."

This issue, unlike Somalia, may be one of not only foreign policy, but also domestic policy. Haiti's proximity to U.S. borders has some students worried about immigration and refugees.

"It's not really any of our business, as long as they keep those people -- immigrants -- out of (the United States)," said C. Smith, a mechanical engineering senior.

"The U.S. should be involved with the U.S. It's another Vietnam, just the military being romantic," said Juan Fish, business sophomore and former soldier.

Damon Tipping, a political science sophomore said, "The blockade is good, but they need to have the means to use force."

Senate minority leader Bob Dole (R-Kan.) speaking on CBS's <I>Face the Nation<P> said he will introduce an amendment to a defense spending bill requiring Congressional authorization to send American troops to Haiti, unless the president certifies certain conditions, such as occurs when a threat to national security interests exists.

The last U.S. interdiction in Haiti was a 19-year occupation from 1915 to 1934.

WARHOL AT MENIL MEANS MORE POP AND CULTURE

Silver, tousled hair. Empty 1970s. Fifteen minutes. Factory.

Andy Warhol did more than present a can of soup on canvas — he got sustenance from the soup of culture. At times he came close to drowning beneath its surface.

Warhol was at once fixated with celebrity and keenly aware of its ephemeral nature. His work, including portraits on display at the Menil Collection, reflects his desire to capture the truth of each subject at a moment when it is most exposed.

Liza Minelli, daughter of Judy Garland, looks like an insecure waif waiting for the next break. His portrait of the song-stylist is complete. The close-cropped, page boy hairstyle. Full red lips and drooping eyes and comic book nose and bare shoulders. She knows her mother's legacy, that she has talent, she also knows her 15 minutes may soon be up and some creature like Sandman Sims will yank her off the stage.

Others, including Joan Crawford, Muhammad Ali, Hedy Lamarr, Mao and Marilyn Monroe, are immortalized in Warhol's larger than life, celeb collecting card-style works. Each portrait gives a sense of who the person is.

The late Warhol is known for his Campbell's soup can works and such silkscreen pieces as the absent Jackie O. portrait. The white walls of the gallery, contrasted with the vibrant primary, secondary and tertiary hues of the works, represent time. Each subject, therefore, has time to paint the stark element with persona. A spirit of freedom, of courage, of caution and of lost innocence pervades the work.

Without the paint splashed on his face, portraits of Mao would make any red book-toting disciple proud—the elder Chinese statesman is presented as an icon of Eastern culture and of Communist ideology. Yet, Warhol's irreverence is humorous.

Portraits of Muhammad Ali are good examples of his ability to manipulate an image to communicate a sense of what state of mind the person is in. One portrait shows a defeated Ali. Another shows a resolved boxer anxious to begin the first round with a fierce left hook. A triumphant man molded out of Clay.

Against a white background, Truman Capote—wearing a red fedora on one canvas panel and yellow on the other—holds a cigarette betwixt his index and middle fingers. Ever the literate gent, his blue eyes make him look as if he is peering into his next <I>In Cold Blood<P>.

Norma Jean, the soft <I>femme fatale<P> of pop culture, looks less glamorous than usual due to the change in hair color and facial hues. Her smile looks to be a manifestation of the tax of stardom—not like the expression a siren or Hollywood "honey" would wear.

The wrinkled visage of Mick Jagger, lead singer for the Rolling Stones, is set off by brown and light brown backgrounds. So are those lips. Lips, Lips, Lips. Frightening indeed.

Portraits of the artist himself may seem self indulgent to some, but like Van Gogh and Kahlo, Warhol's face provides reference material for the artist's other works. Like Richard Avedon, he is not concerned with "being kind" to himself or others. In one phase, his hair has that plastered look. In another, it looks like it could use a good combing.

In his world, the image is not sacred because to leave it as is means to make a sacrifice as an artist—one he clearly was not willing to make. Many post-modern artists, from abstract to conceptualist to minimalist, do the same thing. He emerged from the same school that took pleasure in making the serious the unserious. Pop Art had no bearings or definition until the prince of Pittsburgh came along.

He is critiquing a culture that feeds off of materialism, hangs on to senseless pipe dreams and is wrapped in the myth of what constitutes beauty, success, happiness and peace.

Pencil drawings of Lamarr and Crawford reveal both women suffered—in his eyes—from acute vanitosis. Lamarr's autograph reads "To Maybelline—the eye make-up I find so truly flattering," while Crawford's reads "To Maybelline—the eye make-up I would never be without."

Although generally soft-spoken, Warhol did speak resonantly through his work to the deceptiveness of images and what people project onto each other. His work is informed by his experience.

Warhol was more than a denizen of New York City's entrails. The man with the silver, tousled hair spoke for figures who faded in and out of the pop culture landscape. In increments of 15 minutes.

CUTE CAMPUS CRITTERS COULD CARRY FATAL VIRUS

by Gram Gemoets

Like many students, UH sophomore Karen Smith often feeds the apparently harmless squirrels near the Satellite, completely unaware of the danger.

The squirrel bit her.

"(An hour later) I was in my doctor's office, worried that the squirrel's vicious bite would give me rabies," Smith said. "Or worse yet, hantavirus."

Hantavirus is an infectious disease carried in rodent urine and saliva that is responsible for nearly 40 deaths in the U.S. so far this year, said Colleen Chappelle, spokesperson for the Department of Animal Control.

A debate is on between animal rights groups and health officials.

Some animal rights groups argue that squirrels are an attractive and harmless addition to the campus community.

On the other hand, health officials paint a darker picture by saying the rodents represent a potential public threat.

The scene is common -- a hungry family of squirrels begging for food behind the Architecture Building.

These chirping foragers all seek the same thing: to glean a free lunch off a generous student.

"Squirrels used to being fed can become very aggressive when ignored," Chappelle said. "They are not always going to act sweet and gentle. They are wild animals."

Dan Repo, a zoologist with the Houston Zoo, said that all rodents, including squirrels, have the potential to carry both hantavirus and "latent rabies."

Latent rabies is a form of "functional rabies where an animal can carry the virus yet not show any symptoms," Repo said.

"Hantavirus does not even require a living host. It can linger on a dead carcass for weeks," said Repo.

Along with foaming at the mouth, rabies symptoms include unpredictable aggression and general disorientation, Chappelle said. "Rabies attacks the nerve cells of the brain causing very strange behavior," Chappelle said.

Hantavirus resembles the flu but turns the lungs into soup, said Repo. Death is slow and painful.

"That cute little fellow could hide a nasty little secret," Repo said.

Rabies is not the only potential problem facing the campus squirrel population. Fluctuating food supplies created when students are on holiday may also be harmful to them.

"Feeding the squirrels artificially increases the food supply which in turn artificially stimulates the squirrel population," Chappelle said. "When that food supply is taken away, the squirrels can starve."

"It would take longer than a month or two for the squirrel population to starve" if their artificial food supply was removed, said Dr. Lawrence Williams, a UH biology professor. "The squirrels would be more likley to find another place to live," Williams said.

If Williams is correct, Christmas and spring break would have little effect on the squirrel population.

Whether harmful or not, feeding the squirrels seems to be encouraged.

A recent addition to the convenience store in the Satellite includes a sign: "For Squirrels Only." For 30 cents, students may buy a bag of nuts or sunflower seeds to feed to the squirrels.

Williams said the squirrels at UH probably don't carry rabbies or Hantavirus.

Grounds manager Raymond Dell said, "Stray dogs, although rare on campus, are more of a threat than the squirrels."

"I would worry more about a stray dog than a squirrel anyday," he said.

Donna Sharp, an animal rights advocate said, "The Department of Rabbies Control doesn't even think squirrel bites are worth reporting. If you get bitten, they will tell you to wear a Band-Aid and forget about it."

Dell said,"The squirrels add significant charm to the campus. Also, the squirrels have been here a lot longer than UH."

"The students on campus maintain a frantic pace while the squirrels are casually looking for groceries," she said. "It is quite a paradox that these two opposites can become accustomed to each other."

Chappelle said, "Because the squirrels are socialized, it is easy to forget they are wild. You start to think they are tame because they will eat out of your hand.

"Just remember, that mouth can crack a walnut. It could easily take off your finger," Chappelle added. "Look but don't touch."

ALLEN PARKWAY VILLAGE SEES CHANGES AFTER A DECADE OF NEGLECT AND DESPAIR

Few children play along the tree-lined courtyards between the Allen Parkway Village apartments located in the shadows of downtown alongside Buffalo Bayou.

The sidewalks are cracked and overgrown with weeds. Many doors and windows are boarded-up, unless they have been pried open by vagrants stealing the few remaining appliances inside the apartments.

Although this 1,000 unit complex is Houston's largest public housing project, Allen Parkway Village has an air of abandonment forced upon it by more than a decade of neglect.

With a waiting list of 14,000 people applying for public housing in Houston, the Housing Authority of Houston (HACH) stopped accepting residents into Allen Parkway Village in 1983. Currently, less than 100 residents occupy approximately 28 units.

Allen Parkway Village was built in 1942 to house low income white families and GIs returning from World War II. It is located in the Fourth Ward, a predominantly black neighborhood, west of downtown.

Residents of Allen Parkway Village pay no more than thirty percent of their total household income.

During the late 1970s, HACH began skipping over black applicants in order to fill the complex with Asian refugees. Current residents allege that this was done to isolate the project from the black community so that they would have less political clout in the area.

Then, housing officials evicted these Asian tenants claiming they did not have valid leases.

Lenwood Johnson, president of the Resident Council of Allen Parkway Village said that HACH has attempted to drive residents out. He claims housing officials have not made repairs, falsely accused residents of misbehavior and denied elderly tenants their requests for first floor apartments instead of those on an upper level.

One twenty-year resident said, "I used to see people come and go, now I just see people go."

Since 1977, HACH has had plans to demolish Allen Parkway Village. Some reports say HACH will sell the 37 acres to build businesses and luxury condominiums along Buffalo Bayou.

However, Ernest Etuck, director of HACH facilities, denied plans of a sale and said HACH has not decided what the property will be used for.

"We'll get into that process after the demolition," Etuck said.

Presently, 30 units are being remodeled so that residents can temporarily move into them while 150 other units are renovated for permanent residency, he said.

"We entered into a settlement with the residents to reshape at least 150 units on site," Etuck said.

HACH has plans to raze the other 850 units and sell the 30 acres upon which those units are situated.

Housing authorities state that they must destroy the project because it has deteriorated to a point beyond repair.

"(HACH) is reshaping the same apartments they said they couldn't reshape," Johnson said.

In 1983, HACH issued a report favoring demolition of the project, stating that it would cost $36,000 per unit to remodel, adding up to a total of $36.2 million to renovate the entire project.

These figures have been questioned since the remodeling plans included unnecessary additions such as jogging trails, skate pavement, barbecue grills, a pavilion, landscaping costs of $370,000 and elevators for the three story buildings.

Other public housing projects, built at approximately the same time as Allen Parkway Village, were recently renovated at a cost of about $10,000 per unit, Johnson said. He estimated a renovation cost of $7,000 per apartment to have it meet the code of living standards.

During the Carter administration, the Housing and Urban Development authorized $10 million to renovate Allen Parkway Village. About $700,000 of that fund has been used, and most of the money went to boarding up vacant units, Johnson said.

Many residents have lived in apartments without heat during the winter. Apartments need to be re-painted and many are not equipped with locks on their doors.

"I've been here for thirteen years, and my apartment has not even been repainted," said Johnson. "None of the basic repairs have been made."

Etuck claimed that the housing authority has suffered from a layoff in their maintenance staff and admits that they may not be meeting the standards they used to in maintaining the property.

"The grounds have been maintained to our capability," Etuck said.

While the city debates what to do with the nearly vacant property, homeless people still roam the streets and low income families continue to spend most of their money on housing instead of on food.

AEROBIC EXERCISE BEST FOR LONG-TERM FITNESS

by Sarah Myers

A study conducted by the Baylor College of Medicine found that most young adults aren't getting enough exercise.

Researchers' concerns focus on whether the MTV generation -- children growing up around the 1980's technological revolution -- has become too preoccupied with sedentary computer-oriented activities.

"As an education major, I have come to notice that children nowadays spend more time watching television and playing Nintendo than children used to -- even ten years ago," said Sherri Baughman, a senior working in UH Intramurals. "There has been a switch in childhood entertainment from active activities to stationary ones."

The same seems to be true for many college students. When asked what he likes to do for exercise, one UH sophomore who wishes to remain anonymous replied, "Is eating an exercise?"

The answer is no unless students can figure out how to incorporate eating into 90 minutes of vigorous exercise each week.

A suitable exercise program should consist of 90 minutes a week of some form of aerobic activity, said Dr. Joel Bloom, UH associate professor of sports studies.

Students are doing well if they set aside 30 minutes, three days a week, for activities such as running, biking, swimming or dance aerobics, Bloom said.

Bloom suggests that students devote at least one to two hours each day to their physical health and well being.

"I believe that there is a direct correlation between a sound body and a sound mind."

UH weight room assistant, Jacob Smith, said his regular exercise routine helps him focus better on his studies.

"I work out as a physical release to the stress of university life," he said.

UH offers many services for students who want to begin an exercise program.

In office 104 of the Garrison Gymnasium, advisors are available to help students and faculty chart a course for physical well-being.

"We are here to help, but we can't unless students take the initiative to come over," Bloom said.

Students can also take advantage of a large number of free UH facilities including swimming pools, tracks and weight rooms. To use these facilities, students just need to present a valid ID.

The campus organization HOU-FIT provides students and faculty with instruction on how to begin a regular fitness program. HOU-FIT offers fitness, flexibility and body composition assessments, as well as blood lipid profiles, total fitness packages and dietary analysis.

HOU-FIT is really good for beginners because it shows them the safest way to start exercise, said Lauren Merkle, student director of HOU-FIT.

"The problem with most people is that they don't ease into an exercise program," she said. "This creates a high drop out rate."

HOU-FIT also encourages participation in aerobics. The organization conducts 10 classes per week for every level of aerobic enthusiast. After paying a flat fee for one semester, students and faculty can attend as many classes as they want. Those interested in HOU-FIT aerobics can call 743-9871.

The UH intramural department in Garrison Gymnasium provides exercise for sports fans. Any student can sign up for their various activities including football, volleyball and basketball.

Several university studies, such as the one from the Baylor College of Medicine, show that regular exercise can enhance one's quality of life because mental well-being is easiest achieved when coinciding with physical well-being.

For students still trying to figure out some way to qualify eating as a vigorous form of exercise, give it up. Making time for aerobic exercise is what it takes to improve the quality of living.

GOLFERS MOVE CLOSER TO FIRST AFTER SECOND-ROUND

Behind the play of Anders Hansen and Dean Larsson, the Houston golf team moved into third place at the Ping Tulsa Invitational Monday, 11 shots behind tournament-leader Oklahoma State.

Larsson shot a 1-under-par 69 and Hansen and Eric Bogar finished with 1-over-par 71s in the second round at the 6,931-yard, par 70 Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.

Larsson and Hansen are tied for fifth place overall in the individual standings, followed by Bogar, who is in sole possession of ninth.

Teammates Brad Montgomery (tied for 39th) and Noel Barfoot (tied, 44th) shot rounds of 75 to give Houston, which was fifth after the first round, the second-best round of the day under cloudy skies and a light drizzle.

Fifth-ranked OSU holds first place in the 12-team field with a two-round total of 574, followed by Florida (579), No. 16 Houston (583), No. 3 Oklahoma (591) and 12th-ranked Southern Methodist (595).

The only other ranked team, No. 9 Arkansas, is in ninth place at 603.

Houston has the chance to win its second tournament in three tries during today's third round.

The Cougars also won the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate Tournament in South Carolina and finished eighth among top-ranked teams in last week's Taylor Made/Red River Classic in Dallas.

HOUSTON NETTERS IMPROVE WITH STICKSEL

WALTON SAYS SENIOR'S SAVVY A PLUS ON THE COURT

It has been said that for one to truly succeed in life, sacrifices must be made.

Heidi Sticksel, a Cougar volleyball player, believes that is true. So at the end of the 1992 volleyball season, she ended her volleyball career to devote all of her energies to her pre-optometry studies.

Some time during the summer and the first few weeks of the semester, Sticksel realized that she could find the balance between her academic life and her life on the volleyball court.

This is good news for the Cougars, who can now count on a third returning player to lend leadership experience to the team.

Sticksel has rejoined the team and is learning the new drills and plays at a feverish pitch.

She isn't reprising her role as starting setter, instead she is spending her time at a defensive position.

"The thing that I admire the most about Heidi is that she never lets anything deter her from winning," said coach Bill Walton.

"She has always felt that if you play hard and put all of your effort into what you are doing, you will win."

Sticksel has played in five games since she has come back on the team. Against Northern Illinois on Saturday, Sticksel played in three games and had six digs on the night.

"After three weeks back on the team, she has good defensive skills and her ball control skills are excellent," Walton said.

For the time being, Sticksel will enter games to lend her defensive hand. However, in practice, she is trying out her setting skills.

Coach Walton, although unsure when and even if Sticksel will play this year, is happy that she is on the roster.

"It is a blessing to me that we have three available people that can play the setter position," Walton said. "If she had been playing setter all of her life then she wouldn't have much of a problem, but realistically she can't come walk back onto the team and get her old position."

Freshman Sami Sawyer has been filling the setter position this season.

Junior Keri Brindle, also a setter, has experienced injuries for part of the season that have kept her from exploring her setting possibilities.

Overall, Sticksel has had nine digs and is averaging 1.13 digs per game.