CHINESE BUFFET CLOSE TO CAMPUS

by Debora K. Dayyani

Less than three blocks from campus is a great Chinese buffet lunch at the low price of $3.59. Unfortunately, it’s located in one of the worst looking strip shopping centers in Houston.

If you’re not easily scared off by outside appearances, you are in for a great lunch.

Mai’s Fast Food, located at 1608 Cullen Blvd., is a little jewel tucked away on the corner of Leeland and Cullen.

The restaurant offers 21 buffet selections of Chinese dishes, salads and dessert items. The selections change daily. On Mondays the buffet is mostly chicken dishes, Wednesdays offer beef and pork dishes and on Fridays shrimp and fish are the day’s board of fare.

Mai’s Fast Food is family owned and operated. The interior is clean, bright and cheery. An added bonus is the color television which will let you get caught up on your favorite lunch-time soaps. Service can be interesting, but it’s a buffet and you help yourself, so don’t look for a waiter to take care of you.

The buffet on Fridays is fabulous and offers a great many seafood dishes. One of the favorites is shrimp with mixed vegetables, prepared in a delicate light brown sauce with Chinese cabbage, celery and water chestnuts.

The sweet and sour shrimp is lightly breaded served with green onions and peppers with a rich sweet and sour sauce. Crab soup, Friday’s soup du jour, is excellent and not fishy tasting.

The shrimp chow mien noodles are tender and not overcooked. This dish is a little sweet but quite delicious. The beef and broccoli is the best. The beef was marinated until it was very tender, the vegetables were crisp and the dish had just a touch of oil.

The ginger chicken is hot and very spicy, but exceptionally moist and tender. Some other favorites served on the buffet were chicken with peanuts, shrimp fried rice, fried chicken in a garlic sauce, fried fish, Chinese sweet biscuits, and of course, egg rolls.

The salad/dessert table includes the fixings for a green salad, vanilla pudding, Jello, two types of cakes and a wonderful cantaloupe, watermelon and orange fruit tray.

Mai’s Fast Food, in addition to the Chinese buffet, serves Po-Boy sandwiches. The restaurant also serves hamburgers for less than $2.00, all kinds of specialty salads, a variety of fish and seafood plates and fried chicken and fries for $1.99.

The place is packed at high noon, so a great suggestion is to go early, before 11 a.m., or a little later at 1 p.m.

Mai’s is a great change of pace from the normal fast food fare that is offered to University of Houston’s students. It has all the ingredients for a great lunch spot: low price, close to school and excellent food.

*******************************************************

STUDENT TAKES NATIONAL AWARD

by Jason Jaeger

The student equipment manager of the UH football team, Bruce Allen was one of 67 students in the nation awarded the $5,000 "Hitachi Promise of Tomorrow" scholarship.

The scholarship, founded in 1992, requires that the student be a graduating senior or graduate student involved in the football program at a College Football Association member school. The student must also complete postgraduate or certification requirements in education after receiving the scholarship and intend to become a teacher.

Allen was recognized in a pre-game ceremony before the UH football game on recently were he received his check.

He and the other recipients of the scholarship were featured in the October issue of Sidelines, the CFA magazine.

Of the 67 scholarships only five were received by student managers.

UH Athletic Academic Coordinator Michele Matticks nominated Allen for the Scholarship last year. "He was the only one at that time who fit the criteria," she said.

Matticks said that Allen is the first student manager at UH to receive this type of scholarship.

Allen said he became a student manager after his playing days were cut short by an injury in high school. While attending Madison High School he became a student manager.

"There's more to it than washing jocks," Allen said. The managers have many duties, he said. The duties include everything from laundry to keeping inventory of equipment, Allen said. It's like running a small business, he said.

After high school Allen went to Texas Christian University. He was a student manager there for a year before returning to Houston, he said.

Allen has been a student manager at UH for four years. He said next year he is going to the University of Florida and will start on his masters. Allen said he plans to get his doctorate in the future.

UH Football Equipment Manager John Daggett said that Allen works about 30 hours a week Monday through Friday with the team. On game days he said Allen works about 10 hours.

Manager of Advertising and Public Relations for Hitachi Jude Westerfield said Hitachi believes people involved in football have good discipline and are excellent role models. "That's a powerful combination in a teacher," she said.

Westerfield said the program started last year after the CFA approached Hitachi. She said, "Education provides a good foundation for a strong society."

Hall of Famer Gale Sayers is the national spokesperson for the scholarship. Sayers played for the Chicago Bears for six years and had his career cut short by injuries, according to printed material from Hitachi.

After football, Sayers returned to the University of Kansas and obtained a Masters of Science in Education Administration. For this reason Hitachi thought Sayers was perfect, Westerfield said.

STUDENTS DIGGING UP PAST

by Tammy Gamble

More than 100 years ago, black tenants at a Houston area plantation could be forced off the land they worked, leaving behind all they owned.

During the past eight years, groups of UH archeology students have been recovering these artifacts at the Levi Jordan Plantation in Brazoria County. "We have found what I call a forced abandonment where the tenants left the plantation in a hurry," said Dr. Ken Brown, project director and UH archeology professor.

"The tenants could have been forced off because of ownership or residue from the Civil War," said Tony Davison, a UH archeology student participating in the project.

The dig began as a one-year project of the UH Archeology Department, but it grew as the groups began to find more artifacts and discovered the possible forced departure of the tenants, Brown said.

Since the dig began, the groups have found over 100,000 artifacts. Many of the items are now on exhibit in the Smithsonian Institute.

Artifacts recovered include coins dating back before the Civil War, buttons, bone fragments, glass pieces and a bayonet, Davison said. "We found a cluster of silver coins which could have been wrapped in a piece of cloth," Davison said.

"A complete curers kit which served the tenants was found and is now in the Smithsonian," Brown said. A curers kit was a folk doctor's medicine kit, and the tenants believed the spells these doctors performed could cure them of their ailments.

One of the largest former slave plantations in Texas, the Levi Jordan Plantation was built between 1848 and 1851. The main two-story house is still standing,but the brick slave quarters have been torn down or covered up by debris over the years, Davison said.

For five weeks this past summer, approximately 25 UH archeology students participated in field school at the plantation.

"We had to maintain records of each unit including drawings and field notes," Davison said. After the artifacts were collected, they were brought back to the UH archeology lab for examining and catalogued.

An agreement has been reached with the current plantation owners, descendents of Levi Jordan, to keep the artifacts for four to eight years after the project ends for continued studying, Brown said. "At that time, the artifacts will be returned to the plantation, sent to the Smithsonian or sent to a local museum," Brown said.

The possibility of converting the main house into a museum for the artifacts is also being explored, Brown said.

"The most important thing I want us to get out of the archeology dig is to learn about community and domestic life of mostly black tenants in the late 1800s," Brown said.

STUDENTS GAIN INSIGHT TO PR

by Tiffany Vaughner

Local business woman Helen Vollmer said that having information retrieval and critical thinking skills are essential to finding a job in today's communications fields.

Vollmer shared her views on preparing for the communications field recently at a speech on the UH campus sponsored by the UH chapter of Women in Communications, Inc.

"She (Vollmer) answered the questions that we as soon-to-be graduates need to know before we go out and look for a job," said Florian Ho, WICI president.

Vollmer is head of Vollmer Public Relations, a small local firm that handles public relations for local companies and larger firms like McDonald's and Coca-Cola.

"I thought it was interesting that Vollmer said she regretted not taking more business and history courses," Ho said. "She said we need to know more about our economic history."

Gina Miller, vice president of programs for WICI said, Vollmer's honesty about her hiring practices gave insight to the type of employers students will soon be facing in the field.

Vollmer said,"If there's one thing that would really equip you for the real world it is getting out there and actually having a job in the communications industry. While school is absolutely critical to your success, I don't think it teaches you what you need to know how to function in the real world."

Tenacity and curiosity are traits Vollmer said she thinks would help in getting a job in the communications work force. She said that these are the qualities she looks for when hiring.

"In this business you have to be curious enough to want to know what the other side of the story is. What I've found is that the people who are most successful all have curiosity as a common thread, Vollmer said.

Vollmer gave pointers on resume writing and interview skills. She said there are three things she watches out for on a resume: varied job experiences, genuine, typos and grammatical errors.

"Perhaps the most important thing said, was that she was looking to hire people who demonstrated that they can think," said Beth Olsen, faculty advisor to WICI.

Vollmer said applicants should listen to the questions asked by the interviewer, "Don't be so caught up in the interview that you don't listen to what the questions really are. Most of the questions are designed to dig in a little deeper and find out what your personality is really like."

Miller said she found out that personality, not qualifications, often determines whether people get jobs.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED

Political hip-hop radio

program wants crowd

activated and agitated

by Brian Kehinde

If not for the creativity and ingenuity of Black musicians in America, the only music would be country, said Bilal Nine, an activist and KPFT radio personality.

Nine is a radio talk show correspondent on 90.1 KPFT-FM, for a show called <I>Street Vibe,<P> which is on every Thursday morning from midnight to 3 a.m. It features a mix of political hip-hop music and talk show topics from an admittedly Pan African, left-of-center perspective.

His partner, DJ Lord Vishnu, begins the show with a first-hour segment titled "Phat And All That," which consists of mostly poetry and music.

The remainder of the show is "Political New School," a talk show format where Nine invites listeners to call up and speak their minds about any of the three topics he decides to cover that night.

Street Vibe is actually the product of the Renegade Tribe Collective, which Nine founded and includes on-air personalities Ebony Virtue, Stan X and others.

The show was started following Nine’s outrage over President Clinton’s attack on Sister Souljah last year at a Rainbow Coalition meeting.

Nine said he was also incensed at the judicial system for the way they handled the Rodney King case and the riots on its heels.

He wrote a proposal to KPFT, stating that Blacks and all minority groups should be given equal time on the airwaves to discuss and debate the matters and events that directly affect their lives.

"Democrats and Republicans do not represent African-Americans," he said. "Unless Black people begin to form their own parties and organizations that address their needs and interests, nothing will ever be done about the problem.

"Voting either Democrat or Republican is not the solution," Nine added.

The OAAU (Organization for Afro-American Unity), however, cannot do this, Nine said, because it is only a phantom shell of what it once was.

Nor can the NAACP, mainly because it consists of older men and women too content with the status quo, and who have no faith in the youth of their communities, Nine added.

He argues that if more youths would become more involved and enthusiastic in generating a stronger, more apparent social consciousness among themselves, Black people would begin to see themselves as leaders.

The show, Nine said, gives him the opening to throw subjects into the arena of talk, to give political hip-hop airplay, and to aim his thoughts not only at the black audience out in the city but at any citizen who listens to the radio.

Nine said everyone should have the opportunity to listen to political hip-hop because the Black FM radio stations cater to popularity, and not intellect.

Yet is none other than hip-hop that began this renewed interest in Black history and culture, Nine claimed.

U.S. CONSUMERS CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY AMERICAN

by John Pope

<I>Made in the U.S.A.<P>

Ah, that most popular slogan emblazoned on everything from the car in front of you on the freeway to the shirt on your back.

Of course, being the well-informed consumer that you are, you realize that this is no longer an abbreviation for the land of liberty. Rather, U.S.A. now stands for Unified Societies Association comprised of trade associations such as EFTA, EC, ASEAN and LAIA, to name a few.

The controversial passage of NAFTA notwithstanding, the United States remains uninvited to the very manufacturing party it once hosted.

Now lets get the facts straight. Given the "perceived" equal quality of competing products placed side-by-side, we would choose the least expensive one 90 percent of the time. It doesn’t matter who, when or how the product is made.

Furthermore, our closets aren’t arranged according to country of origin. People don’t stand before their clothes thinking: "Now let me see, today I’ll wear the Congo collection."

Simply put, humans are ‘utility maximizers’ and will behave as such.

The original marketing slogan, "Made in the U.S.A." is as worn out as an afternoon of Gallery Furniture commercials. Mattress Mac has been successful because he "saves you money," not because a sofa was made in North Carolina.

The global economic curtain has steadily risen and the "invisible" market hand is larger than it once was; stretching from the Ivory Coast to the Siberian wastelands.

However, the small- and medium-sized business is bound and shackled with government regulations inaugurated when Fred Flintstone was exporting to <I>The Land of the Lost<P>. Otherwise entrepreneurs are handcuffed by arrogance, impatience or lack of necessary knowledge in foreign lands.

Hoffsteid classified Americans in terms of power, distance, individualists and uncertainty avoiders. A simple observation may be made on your next trek across campus.

Note the collective nature of different ethnic groups. We may see, but do we appreciate? Of course, priding ourselves in rugged individualism, we would never think of approaching a group to learn a greeting or ‘thank you’ in their language.

Serious business negotiations may mean ‘bottoms up’ instead of bottom line in some cultures.

As Americans, if we ate a slice of humble pie instead of so much apple pie, we could realize and overcome the major obstacles in getting our products overseas. Alternatively, if we continue to hit the snooze alarm, U.S.A. will stand for <I>United States Alone<P>.

<B>Top five reasons to become an accountant:<P>

5. Clothing discounts at all J.C. Penneys

4. Make headlines as a defendant in a lawsuit.

3. Daily eye check up with numerical eye charts.

2. Become a SWAG expert. (sophisticated wild-ass guesses).

1. Free vacations and meals during tax season.

John Pope is a junior business major.

SOME STUDENTS CARRYING WEAPONS ON CAMPUS

Knowing the person next to you in class might have a handgun hidden in his or her bag is something most students don’t think about.

However, there is concern whether illegal weapons can be found at UH.

Melissa Eaves, a sophomore accounting major, said she was scared by the thought of weapons on campus.

"It reflects on the way parents raise their children compared to the way it used to be," she said. Eaves has never considered carrying a gun to campus for protection.

"I never really thought about it," she said. "I guess that’s because I’ve never been confronted with it … and I live in a bad part of town."

Other students said they’d think about bringing a weapon to school if the campus was dangerous.

"I wouldn’t normally (carry a weapon), but maybe, if something came up," said Jennifer Price, a freshman undecided major.

Roberto Alvarez, a junior kinesiology major, agreed with Price.

"I’ve never seen violence or a lack of safety," Alvarez said. "I’ve also never seen a threat from students or groups."

"But, if I felt a lack of security, and if I didn’t see an increase in police protection, I might consider (buying a weapon)."

Although the numbers aren’t large, weapons have been found on campus.

From January 1, 1993 to date, UHPD has arrested five people for carrying weapons, Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

"If they bring a prohibited weapon such as a switchblade knife or firearms they are arrested for Places Weapons Prohibited," he said.

Unlawful carrying of a weapon is a separate charge. This includes firearms such as shotguns and rifles.

If hunters carry shotguns in their trucks while driving on the freeway, they aren’t breaking the law, Lt. Wigtil said.

However, if those hunters come to UH with their guns, they can be arrested for unlawful carrying of a weapon.

Carrying a weapon on campus is a serious charge which can carry heavy penalties.

"It is a third-degree felony, which is a very serious charge," Wigtil said.

If a student is caught with a weapon, the UHPD first informs the Dean of Students and then calls the district attorney. UHPD and the dean give the circumstances and the district attorney decides if he wants to prosecute.

"Most of the time (district attornies) say yes and they accept the charges," Wigtil said.

If the person is charged, he or she goes before a grand jury and may be sent to the Harris County Jail.

"There is no justification (for carrying weapons)," Wigtil said.

INSULTED COUGARS TO CLASH WITH BAYLOR IN GRUDGE MATCH

by Michelle Morgan

Four weeks ago the unthinkable happened. Baylor defeated Houston for the first time ever in the Southwest Conference season opener at Baylor’s Ferrell Center.

Tonight Houston wants to send Baylor home with a much deserved loss. This may be an even bigger grudge match than the one against Texas a few weeks ago.

"I don’t remember ever losing to Baylor. It was an insult," Stacey Craven said.

"We expect to beat them in three games," Ashley Mulkey said.

Baylor’s overall record stands at 17-6, which is considerably better than Houston’s 6-12.

Coach Bill Walton said, "We can’t take back what happened, but we can start a new stream."

If Houston does defeat Baylor the two teams will be tied for third in the SWC, under the No.2 ranked Texas A&M and top ranked Texas.

Before the first game Baylor’s coach Tom Sonnichsen didn’t seem to optimistic, and even though they defeated Houston in the first game, he is not very optimistic about this game.

"How we’ve done it, I don’t know. Houston’s playing better, and we’re not. Their improving every week," Sonnichsen said.

Since they last met, Baylor has lost to Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Texas and are just barely above .500. "Texas walked on us like we were pre-schoolers," Sonnichsen said.

Houston did have several strikes against them before they faced Baylor. They opened SWC play on the road. That’s usually hard for any team, but it’s even harder for a team that hasn’t been playing well.

"We lost so many already," Mulkey said. "We didn’t have total confidence and let it slip away. We should have beat them."

Another key to Baylor’s win was the team had something to prove. Setter Cory Siverton was out with a broken toe. The girls rallied to show they could function without their setter.

"We were playing at home, and we had an emotional lift (with Cory being out.) We answered the challenge," Sonnichsen said.

Middle blocker Heather Saari was also another problem. Saari led the team with a .363 hitting percentage.

Possible problems to watch for are Jenny DeLue (208 kills), Brenda Kunz (156 kills) and D’Ann Arthur (135 kills) the top three hitters on the team.

However, Houston seems to be pulling it together. The team is passing better and the hitting has solidified.

Lily Denoon and Mulkey lead Houston with 241 kills, and Wendy Munzel is next in line with 147.

"There’s less of a breakdown between the setter and hitters. It also helps that Beth and Nashika, our back up hitters, have gotten more reliable," Walton said.

"The team has found its personality, and you can see the difference," Craven said.

"We plan to reverse exactly what happened in the first four weeks," Walton said. They are doing just that. In September the team was 1-3. They are now 3-1 for October.

The team’s goal is to go into the NCAA Championship Tournament with a solid finish of second or third. "The key is to keep plugging away and win the rest," Walton said.

OVERBLOWN EPICS OVERWHELM

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Hollywood is well-known for its great epic films, but it is probably more renowned for its failed attempts at making these epics consistently.

The great directors, such as Cecil B. DeMille, John Ford and John Huston, have left behind several bastard step-children who specialize in giving things "the old college try." These directors are responsible for the films that make up this week’s festival: "Over-Ambitious Epics."

First up is Francis Ford Coppola’s <I>Apocalypse Now<P>. For the first two hours, this is arguably the best film ever made about the war in Vietnam.

But the last thirty minutes is a meandering journey through the cluttered mind of Marlon Brando. And this is a shame, because Coppola deserved better from the megastar who had earlier won an Oscar in Coppola’s <I>The Godfather<P>.

Brando, who is shadowed to protect his "immense" talent, mumbles incoherently about nothing of importance and in the process drags this otherwise well-made film into his own personal hell. On the other hand, Robert Duvall is at his best during his all-too-brief scenes and Martin Sheen gives off the proper aura for his mystic leading-man role in this flawed masterpiece.

The second film on this list is <I>The Alamo<P>. John Wayne is Davey Crockett for over three hours. Enough said.

However, I always enjoyed kicking a film when it was down, so here goes.

With all due respect to the Duke, who also directed, he is hopelessly miscast as Crockett, and the truth takes a nasty beating in this over-long, unenjoyable epic. But – and don’t you love it when I use that word – the battle scenes are well done, unfortunately just not often done. One thing to look for in this movie is the errant jet airplane which flies overhead during one of the battle scenes.

I’ll receive a lot of flak over this next choice, but I live for controversy. David Lean is one of my favorite directors, but I have to use his <I>Lawrence of Arabia<P> as my next selection.

This is a beautiful film with an incredible performance by Peter O’Toole, but the closer you get to the end, the more No-Doz you’ll require.

Also notable in this film is Omar Sharif’s performance, Robert Bolt’s screenplay and the breathtaking cinematography. Cut about twenty minutes out and you’ve got one of the greatest movies ever made.

Lastly this week, I take another swipe at a director when he’s down. For the fourth film in this festival, use any film directed by Woody Allen since <I>Annie Hall<P> in 1977.

Allen’s obsession with director Ingmar Bergman has proved to be most unhealthy indeed. <I>September<P> or <I>Interiors<P> will suffice in this department. Then there’s that nauseating camera action in <I>Husbands and Wives<P>. Just don’t eat anything before you watch it.

ARTIST RENOVATION, REVITALIZING 3RD WARD

by Jason Jaeger

Houston-based artist Rick Lowe wants to boost community spirit and educate the people by converting old houses in the 3rd Ward to art studios.

The 15 houses Lowe is renovating are located in the 2400 block of Holman between Live Oak and Dowling.

Lowe, originally from Alabama, said he came to Houston in the middle of the 1980’s to be an artist when Houston was known as a budding haven for artists.

Lowe started the project about one year ago.

"It took me three months to find the person who owned (the area)," he said.

The entire project came about when he and six other African-American artists decided they wanted to give something back to the people, Lowe said.

Phase one – of the two phase project – involves the renovation of 10 tract houses.

"We want phase one to be completed in time to open the first exhibits in the month of February, which is Black History Month," he said.

"I would be in favor of the project because I’m in favor of revitalization," said UH Urban Sociology Professor Jan Lin.

However, there is a thin line between revitalization and redevelopment, he said. "Redevelopment can lend itself to speculative interest," Lin said.

Artists are the pioneers in redevelopment, Lin said. After the artists move in to low-rent part of towns, the restaurants, cafes and small businesses usually follow, he said.

Program Director for Self Help for African People through Education Theola Petteway said redevelopment is a concern but she doesn’t see it as a problem in the future.

She said that this program will help the community and give children a more positive outlook.

"It’s a big venture (that) we want children and families be a part of," Petteway said.

"These houses are a part of our heritage," she said.

"(The project) has the potential of impacting the 3rd ward greatly," said Executive Director of The Community Artists’ Collective Michelle Barnes. The effect on the community will be long term, she said.

"The kids will have a place to go," Barnes said.

Lowe said the majority of the feedback from the community has been positive, even though they may not know what the project is about. Lowe particularly remembered one woman’s comment. "Well at least you cut the grass," she said.

Negative feedback has come from homeless activists who said the houses should be turned into residences.

Lowe said turning these houses into a shelter is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

There are many other houses in the 3rd ward that can be turned into shelters, Petteway said.

Lowe and his volunteers work on the houses on Saturday. For more information contact Rick Lowe at 880—9159.

PROJECT PROVIDES HOUSING AND TRAINS STUDENTS

Activist proposes that students help at-risk residents

Located between the skyscrapers of downtown, River Oaks’ mansions and the Montrose area, Allen Parkway Village is considered valuable property by a variety of interested groups.

Both city officials and activists have their own plans for the future of Allen Parkway Village, Houston’s largest public housing project.

The Housing Authority of the City of Houston (HACH) wants to destroy the project.

Many residents say HACH would sell the property to construct high-rise condominiums and businesses along Buffalo Bayou.

Residents and supporters of Allen Parkway Village want to save it from the wrecking ball by converting it to a self-operating community.

The site would have medical, child care, educational and job training facilities run by residents and graduate students, said community activist Catherine Roberts.

The plan, titled Allen Parkway Community Campus, was proposed by Roberts to city and federal housing officials in April.

Roberts said the program would be similar to one she was involved with during the ’70s in Seattle.

Although the federal government once again took over the public housing facility, Roberts said the Seattle project was a successful program.

"Within two years, child abuse dropped by two percent and absenteeism in school dropped by four percent because of increased medical care," Roberts said.

The purpose of the Houston project would be an attempt to end the cycle of poverty by having graduate students help educate poor families, Roberts said.

She said that Allen Parkway Village would eventually be managed and maintained by residents and students in the program.

This project would have at-risk families and families from universities living together.

Students would find many benefits from this community campus said Lenwood Johnson, president of the Resident Council of Allen Parkway Village.

"(Students) would receive very low-cost housing and actual field training in their various professions," he said.

Some of the funding for this project would come from the $10 million that Housing and Urban Development provided to renovate Allen Parkway Village, Roberts said. She said the biggest cost would be the one time cost of providing equipment for the school.

This plan would be cheaper than what HACH is proposing which is trying to spend $82 million to rebuild about 1000 units somewhere else, Johnson said.

Many organizations have expressed their support for this project including several Rice and University of Houston sociology, architecture and education professors, Roberts said.

"Allen Parkway Village is in the perfect location for this type of program because it is close to a park and downtown," Roberts said.

Anyone wanting information about the Allen Parkway Community Campus can call Catherine Roberts at 464-5154.