GYM SHORTS

Swimming

The Houston swimming and diving team competes for the first time at home in the young 1993-94 season, as UH hosts the Southwest Conference Relays Friday in its natatorium.

Head coach Phill Hansel, who began the swimming and diving program at Houston in 1957, enters his 25th year as coach.

The Houston swimming and diving program was non-existent between 1959–70 due to a lack of indoor facilities. When the men's program was finally re-established in 1971 with an indoor pool, Hansel returned to take the reins.

The women's program returned in 1975, and under Hansel's direction has produced 31 All-Americans, including four-time national champion Diane Johannigman, who set an American record in the butterfly and is the only NCAA champion in UH women's swimming.

The men's program is no longer existent, but Hansel, who was a staff member on the American swim team that attended the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, returns to commemorate his quarter of a century in hopes of improving Houston's 38th place finish at last year's NCAA Championships.

Junior Olivia Clark was the only Cougar to attend the event and placed 16th in both the 1– and 3–meter springboards.

Friday, Clark and the Houston squad will face Texas, which placed third in the NCAA's 38-team field, Southern Methodist (fourth), Texas A&M (35th) and Texas Christian (36th).

Rice, Texas Tech and Baylor do not have swim teams.

Cross Country

The Houston men's and women's teams travel to Dallas Sunday to participate in the SWC Championships in Norbuck Park, the first championship of the 1993–94 season.

The men's team finished second last Friday in UH's Cougar Classic at the Texas National Golf Course.

Houston's injury status remains in critical but stable condition.

Lawrence McPherson, who is a backup running back and has proven himself a capable punt returner, is out at least three weeks with a dislocated shoulder.

Fullback Tommy Guy remains questionable for Saturday's game in Fort Worth against TCU. Guy suffered a twisted ankle during Wednesday's practice before last week's game against SMU.

Starting left guard Kenny Robbins is also out 3–4 weeks.

*******************************************************

ASSAULTS LEAD CAMPUS CRIME

The Criminal Offenses report, which reflected a welcome downturn in crime on the UH campus, was severely tested over a three-day period when UHPD officers were slammed with seven reports of assault.

Beginning the evening of Oct. 22, UHPD received a call from Coog's Cafe that three patrons were fighting.

Witnesses told UHPD officers that David Henry began arguing with two acquaintances, Sujen Syamasudaram and Andrew Ornelas.

The argument eventually ended with Henry punching the other two.

UHPD performed a mandatory warrant check on Henry's license and discovered he had an outstanding DPS warrant.

Henry was released into DPS custody after being charged with two counts of assault and one count of public intoxication. His court date has been set for Nov. 5.

The evening's festivities continued with a call at 10:03 p.m. from a person reporting a fight in the Moody Tower's common area.

When police arrived on the scene they found Keith Hudson unconscious and bleeding profusely from his head.

According to eyewitness accounts, Hudson walked up to another student, Donnell Artis, and accused him of stealing his meal card. Artis then grabbed Hudson around the neck with both hands and slammed his head through a plate-glass window.

Artis pulled Hudson back through the window and slammed his head on a table. When Hudson fell to the ground Artis continued to pummel his face.

Artis, who confessed to the crime, was arrested and taken to Harris County jail and charged with a Class A misdemeanor for aggravated assault. Hudson was transported to Hermann Hospital for treatment.

HIGH SCHOOLERS PREVIEW CAMPUS

Elizabeth Gonzales

More than 400 Houston area high school students attended the Fall Career Day, held by the UH Mexican American Studies Program Monday.

Laura Gonzalez Murillo, program coordinator, said the program provides students with information on different majors available at UH and the various departments at their disposal. The students were told about scholarships and financial aid opportunity available to students. UH staff members aided the students in filing for aid programs and scholarships.

Fall Career Day's activities were focused mainly on Latino students, but did not exclude students of different ethnicities. Murillo said they invite many students from a Latino background, but also invite students that represent other races within the student body of the predominantly Hispanic high schools that participated.

Workshops were set up to provide the students with information on procedures and steps necessary to get into college. Financial aid and admission were two main areas of concentration.

Other workshops educated students on the various majors the students may choose from within a university. Members of the UH faculty spoke to the students about the different courses offered within their colleges.

Damian Vaesa, a junior at Aldine High School, said, "The whole experience encourages me to come to college even more."

Murillo said she thinks that within the Latino community, education is emphasized but must be constantly reinforced.

Fall Career Day also emphasized the importance of educating the Latino community while encouraging its members to continue to hold on to their heritage.

"It is important that we as students understand our history as a people," said Lorenzo Cano, associate director of the UH Mexcian American Studies Program. "There is a movement to bring back the history of the Chicanos -- La Raza -- to those people around the world."

The Mexcian American Studies Program offers classes in political science, literature, psychology and drama.

Kimberly Martinez, a senior at South Houston High School, said, "Now I realize what UH offers Hispanics. There are various organizations to join and learn from and expand into different areas and cultures."

The students were taken on a campus tour which included lunch. Entertainment was provided by Chuy Negrete, and his Latino folk band. Negrete presented a historical perspective of the Mexican people with slides and music.

It appeared that Negrete's performance was both educational and entertaining.

Cynthia De La Rosa, a counselor at Elsik High School, said, "I think this day makes them aware of opportunities they didn't know about. It makes them feel like a college education is an attainable goal."

SA FAILS TO ACHIEVE QUORUM

Twenty percent of the Students' Associations' elected senators have been cut from the senate mostly due to poor attendance.

With the exception of former senator for the College of Social Sciences Dan Beyer, who was cut because he failed to enroll in fall semester classes, the former senators broke the SA attendance regulations.

Senators are allowed to have five excused absences, but are axed if they miss two consecutive meetings without valid excuses.

The senators to be replaced are Roberta Bowen – Technology, Philip LeBlanc – Architecture, Jade Huganin – Education, Nikhil Patel – Engineering and Chris Barrera – Business.

Due to the loss of the six senators, only 13 members are currently required to reach a senate quorum. Even with the low number, the SA Senate could not hold Monday night's meeting.

This is the second time this semester that the senate failed to make a quorum. The first time was a special meeting SA President Jason Fuller called when he vetoed the budget bill.

Fuller says that the new senators will be found through recommendations from other SA college representatives. "The best way to do it is just word of mouth," he said.

Jodi White, a senior psychology major said that senators who are elected by the majority of their colleges should not let down their constituents by "carelessly not showing up for meetings."

"We elected these people. Why bother running if you are not going to do it? Students have no say over who the president appoints now," she said.

Presidential appointees are first interviewed by the director of personnel and then they meet with the Committee on Internal Affairs. The committee votes on whether or not the candidate will have their approval and the final decision is made on the senate floor.

Appointees Hunter Jackson and Shei Guinn have already passed through committee and are waiting to be voted on by the senate.

Jackson is expected to represent the the College of Business Administration and Guinn is up for Social Science position #3.

Senator at Large Gavin Kaszynski requested that senators be called by the senate office to be reminded before every meeting.

POLITICAL PROS ADDRESS TEXAS STUDENT LEADERS

by Tiffany Vaughner

Houston City Councilwoman Sheila Jackson Lee said that Texas Students Association members are future "change makers" during the opening ceremonies of this year's TSA fall 1993 conference held recently on the UH campus.

"Being involved in this association and student government emphasizes to me that you are obviously aware that you have the privilege of being change makers," Lee said.

Coy Wheeler, UH Students' Association speaker of the senate said that the purpose of TSA is to give students a voice in the Texas Legislature. Its main concerns are receiving more program funding and financial aid for Texas colleges and universities.

Lee challenged students to remain active in their schools and local communities to prepare for the day when they would become the future leaders of Texas.

In closing, Lee presented a proclamation from the City of Houston to TSA president Brendan Mikeska that named Oct. 21, 1993 Texas Students' Association day.

After Lee's speech, UH President James Pickering spoke to about 100 student representatives from Texas universities and colleges about the importance of student government and their role in Texas government.

Pickering said, "Without you, clearly, our universities would have no reason for being: You are our students, you are our customers, and you are the ones who pay the bills and make it possible. (You) provide the rationale for public education here in Texas."

Pickering also said TSA is one of the best places to learn about leadership and student government and that students who are active in the organization are well equipped to handle the challenges of managing Texas in the 21st century.

Pickering defined the university as a place to engage in a unique conversation.

"I want you to think of yourselves in your role as student leaders as having an important voice in a very, very important conversation. To the extent that our universities in this state flourish and become better, it will be because you are playing an important role in that conversation.

And believe me, the conversation of the university in student government is only the beginning; you'll go on from the university into a larger arena that has still larger and more important conversations," Pickering said.

After speaking, Pickering answered questions from the floor on various topics ranging from school bookstore profits to tips on gathering donations.

In his closing remarks, Mikeska reminded students, "The road to success in Texas is no longer paved with oil but by the minds of it's students."

Reactions from students and administration were positive. Arnold Jackson, director of Student Life at Temple Junior College said, "I think what President Pickering said was true. Students, faculty and the administration should work together and TSA is a very good forum for that."

Brian Bennett, from University of North Texas, director of TSA-North Region and chair of the board of directors said that this years conference would set the direction for next year when TSA members would continue to work on student unity and lobby Austin over educational funding.

HAUTE HITS HARD WITH HIPHOPRISY

William S. Burroughs can use a pair of jumper cables to revive his literary corpse an infinite number of times, yet it all depends on what battery he hooks it up to.

<I>Spare Ass Annie and Other Tales<P> is the writer’s newest release of spoken text and music. His battery this time is none other than the high-powered hip-hop of Michael Franti and Rono Tse, better known as the radical rap renegade Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy. Burroughs is beatnik books’ scariest scion while Hiphoprisy is always itching for insurrection. Pair them up for another epistle to the alleged X-gen.

<I>Spare Ass Annie<P> tunnels into Burroughs’ old writings and Franti’s new thoughts. The author, who has previously composed with seminal college rockers Sonic Youth, reads from his works, including <I>Nova Express<P>, <I>Interzone<P> and <I>The Last Words of Dutch Schultz<P> to an experimental hip-hop accompaniment. It explores the old man’s wry observations of the young men’s sonic landscape.

Burrough’s gem is "Did I Ever Tell You About The Man That Taught His Asshole How to Talk?" Amidst gloomy beats and brooding bass, Burroughs does his diatribe on a particularly pugnacious posterior, a text from his classic <I>Naked Lunch<P>: "After a while, the ass would ad-lib ... in a raspy curve/His ass chewed through his pants, screaming it wanted equal rights/and it would get drunk too/going on crying jags and saying it wanted to be kissed just like any other mouth."

The remainder of the story is incisive and biting, a look into different contextual attitudes. The image of the shotgun-wielding Burroughs, emblazoned on many a t-shirt, comes to life as the author sears buckshot into everything in sight.

Burroughs’ wizened, cynical intonation hacks into the listener mercilessly. "The Junky’s Christmas" feels like you’re shooting smack with the best of them, relishing the most pitiful sorts, including the protagonist Danny, who’s in search of the immaculate fix. Hiphoprisy’s mix on this one is trippy and surreal, as if the artists themselves played a bit with the same blood-encrusted junk to get that spaced-out feeling.

"Words of Advice for Young People" is part of a previously unpublished text where Burroughs offers a few simple steps to happier existence for youngsters: "Never interfere in a boy and girl fight ... /If you’re doing business with a religious sonofabitch, <I>get it in writing<P>/His word isn’t worth shit/Not with the good Lord telling him how to fuck you over."

The musical background on "Advice" sounds like something you’d hear at one of the greasy alien bars from <I>Star Wars<P>, thus making the selection all the better.

The interplay between Burroughs and Hiphoprisy makes their performance together one of the best the author has ever done.

Much of the text is essentially expanded chapters from work Burroughs has already done, so Franti and Tse got to orchestrate a benchmark mix around the writer’s harsh voice and more acidic words.

What has always set the band apart from other hip-hop acts is the creative sounds its members employ to convey a message-laden song. Such inventiveness gives Burroughs the advantage of having his work in the best possible conditions.

BARKMARKET GOING UP THE RIGHT TREE

Barkmarket returns from the well with a bucketful of colorful sludge on <I>Gimmick<P>, its newest release.

The band, whose magnificent independent release <I>Vegas Throat<P> was re-issued last year by its new label, American Recordings with considerable fanfare, makes their debut on an ostensibly major label in an impressive fashion.

<I>Gimmick<P> puts the gale-force psychosis of leader Dave Sardy up against the challenge of keeping the kinesis up for three minutes or more on a longer release than before.

While the band's previous releases showcased its verve, <I>Gimmick<P> is Barkmarket's first viable attempt (i.e. the record is, by virtue of a major, in virtually every record store imaginable) to make its music known.

Barkmarket is an enigma. Sure, it’s college rock, but the sound is unique to most every other cadre in the genre.

Spare strumming compliments stop-start meandering instrumentation and the most unconventional vocal delivery in all of music. Lyrical thoughts start but don’t end, careening into an abyss of lost but unforgotten sentiments. Choruses end mid-sentence with the promise of returning like a weird-smelling uncle. Borrowed riffs stumble into incompatible drums and otherworldly bass-lines, yet somehow come together sweeter than pie. Barkmarket is college rock’s Coltrane.

<I>Gimmick<P> defends this status well. Songs like "Whipping Boy" and "Hack It Off" will be on playlists everywhere, so get used to them. "Redundant" is bizarre fun, sort of like skipping through a thicket of dandelions and suddenly getting chased by chuckling bees tossing Pez dispensers.

Sardy and company keep completely raw and uncooked the meaty part of the sound that makes them feared. Barkmarket’s energy is high yet the music is scaled-down and punky.

The sound is somewhat heavy and more introspective, while the compositions are staggered to highlight Barkmarket's versatility as heavy rock outfit, experimental battalion and college music staple. The ease with which the bands shifts about is to its credit.

<I>Gimmick<P>’s musical chemistry is uncanny and represents the purest Barkmarket sound ever. Unlike its previous work, the band is much more focused. The instrumentation is darting, yet with a purpose. Sardy's vocals are much clearer than on previous releases and are thus better appreciated.

Thought-out chaos is possible.

<I>Gimmick<P> presents an almost marketable face to a band that dodges the hard-sell. It is not saleable in the Skippy peanut butter sense, though. Perhaps it's more like the tabloid ads for sea monkey.

MUSLIM STUDENTS ADMONISH "UNFAIR" REPORTING

by Jason Jaeger

Monday marked the beginning of Islamic Awareness Week at UH, with campus events scheduled to help abolish Muslim stereotypes.

President of the Muslim Students' Association Abdul Ghani said the purpose of the national awareness week is to clear up misconceptions about Islam.

Monday, the week's activities kicked off at the UC with "A Talk on: Islamic Fundamentalism — Fact or Fiction". The guest speaker was Imam Abdullah Rasheed, chairman of the Muslim Voice of America.

More than 50 people attended the event, said Amad Shaikh, general secretary of the Muslim Students' Association.

Students of many different racial groups were on hand to hear Rasheed's speech on misconceptions about Islam. Rasheed also denounced the tendency to associate terrorism with Muslims.

"We're not a group of terrorists out to get America," Shaikh said.

Ghani said, "The media is not portraying Islam the way they should." He said the media constantly overlook the positive side of Islam and makes them (Muslims) all out to be terrorists.

Assistant Office Coordinator of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston Mohammad Khan also blames the media for giving Muslims a bad reputation. "They are showing Islam as terrorism," he said.

Khan said the reason he thinks the positive aspects of Islam are not reported by the press is because the media is controlled by Zionists (people who recognize a Jewish homeland).

In support of his argument he said that the Islamic prayer, held annually at the George R. Brown Convention Center and attended by more than 10,000 people last year, was not reported.

Shaik said they're not planning to convert anyone this week, and that their main objective is to educate people about Islam and get Muslims involved in their group.

"We just want to be at peace with people," Shaikh said.

Ghani said Islam is not simply a religion but a way of life. He said everything in an Islamic person's life comes straight from the <I>Qur'an.<P>. He said the <I>Qur'an<P> tells you what you can and cannot do.

The only place that Islamic law is enforced is strictly is Saudi Arabia, Ghani said. However, he said at times the local politics interfere with Islamic law.

Ghani said that under Islamic law homosexuality is punishable by death. He continued by explaining that another part of Islamic law states that its followers cannot eat pork or drink alcohol.

Despite the bad press, Muslims remain devoted to their faith. Every Friday between 200 to 250 UH Muslims stop by the religion center to pray, Ghani said.

Many people in the Western World are becoming Islamic, Ghani said, especially African-Americans, with Islamic backgrounds, he said.

"Everyone is equal in the sight of God," Ghani said. "In Islam people are measured by their piety," he said.

"It's (Islam) the fastest growing religion in the world," Khan said. He said their congregation is made up of whites, African-Americans and Orientals.

Tonight at 7:30 p.m., the Muslim Students' Association will show <I>Malcolm X<P> in the Houston Room at the UC. The movie is also sponsored by the Black Student Union and the Student Program Board.

For more information on Islamic Awareness Week call 748–4951.

HOMELESS VIE FOR RATIONED RESOURCES

by Ambir Davis

Warm bodies lay on the sidewalks lining filthy streets and crumbling buildings. Everywhere you look the people are hungry and in need of assistance. But it is not Somalia, nor any part of the Third World. In fact, one doesn't have too travel far to find it.

The place is Houston. The location, a decaying part of downtown, not-too-long abandoned by mainstream society. This is the dwelling-place of many of Houston's homeless.

Stevenson Harris III, who has depended on the Star of Hope Men's Emergency Shelter for about nine months, has good reason to be concerned.

He was recently barred from the shelter because of a confrontation he had with a supervisor and won't be able to return until June 1994. He said he looks for work when he can. "The jobs out there are all minimum wage," he said. "You can work all day and only have $25 or $30 dollars to show for it. It's enough to eat on, and maybe get yourself a room.

"Then you're back out here where you started."

Lee Roy Thomas said although he searches for work, he has experienced problems because of his past difficulties.

"I'm an ex-convict," he explained. "I've been out (of prison) since 1979, and I haven't been in trouble since. I've filled out over 100 applications (in October) and still can't get a job."

The labor pool in which these men regularly work is not enough to remedy their situation, said a man who identified himself as Robert.

"The labor pool pays minimum wage for four, five, or six hours," he said. "All it is, is cheap labor."

On any given day or night, dozens of men can be seen lined up against the buildings at 407 LaBranch St. Some are waiting in line to get a room for the night. Others are standing in line for food. Most unfortunate, many have simply set up camp because they have nowhere else to go.

The sidewalks here are no longer accommodate walking. Instead they are lined with mattresses and bedrolls that the homeless sleep on. Clothes hang from the fences. In fact, all of these people's worldly possessions are on display. These people have no toilets, no place to bathe and no privacy.

"It hurts you to come out here and sleep on the sidewalk when you have a few dollars in your pocket, but you know you have to make it stretch," said Robert, who currently has a job.

"When you sleep, you sleep close to people you know, so that people can't get in between you," he said. "That way you have security."

The Star of Hope Men's Emergency Shelter has fewer than 100 beds. About 40 beds are occupied by men involved in a six-month recovery program. The left over beds are filled on a first come, first served basis. Each man is allowed only 12 days each year to stay at the shelter.

Wayne Hargraves, a supervisor at the shelter, said that in addition to these twelve days, each man is given one grace day per month. "Everyone receives 23 days in a year," he said.

"This doesn't mean that no one can stay here more than 23 days," Hargraves said. "It depends on the number of men in the (recovery) program. It would not be uncommon for a man to stay here 40, 50, or even 60 days in a year."

Thomas disagrees with Hargraves. "I don't think so. I can't see it, and I've been here almost two years. You get twelve days, and one grace for the whole year. That's it."

The shelter also operates under a strict policy which demands the door be locked each day after all the beds are assigned. Many of the homeless men in the area are angry about this policy.

"It's raining tonight, and they won't let us in," said David, a Vietnam veteran who has been without steady work for two years. "If I have to go to the bathroom (after the door is locked), I can't use it. I don't give a damn about the Star of Hope. They wouldn't let Jesus in."

Hargraves said the shelter maintains the policy for security reasons. "Most of the men who want to come in to use the bathroom, or get a drink of water, are habitual street dwellers. If we service them, we are encouraging that lifestyle and street culture."

David is also angry because he believes that homeless people are ignored. "No one cares about us. To get the whole story, to know what it's really like, you'd have to spend a night down here."

It is not only from society that these men feel isolated; some believe they are discriminated against at the shelter.

There is unequal treatment of the men, Thomas said. "The people who are just (in the shelter) to stay for the night can't come back downstairs (after they have showered, and changed clothes), but the people in the program can come back downstairs to smoke cigarettes.

In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of homeless people in Houston. Every one has a story to tell.

Brenda Harris said she used to drive a truck but was involved in an accident. She has been living on the streets for three years.

David said that before he went to Vietnam, he attended college in Louisiana from 1967 to 1968. When he returned, he says that he found society didn't want him.

"Some of the people are educated, but for some reason people have turned their backs on them, so they have turned their backs on society," Robert said.

Harris said that he is a skilled hydroblaster who used to work in Pasadena. He said he has been unable to find steady employment since 1987.

Kim Kossie, public relations representative for the Star of Hope, said the last census of the homeless was taken in 1989. The McKinsey & Company study estimated that 10,000 people are without homes in Harris County. Kossie said the increase is noticeable in the number of people the Star of Hope has to turn away.

MIDDLE-CLASS MEN KNOW 'FRAYED TO TIE THE KNOT

by Thomas Hewett

Looking for love in all the wrong places?

This Thursday, lonely women might find the answer the seek on a large billboard advertisement along Highway 59 near Newcastle.

The billboard targets women who'd like to marry white middle-class males between the ages of 32 and 51.

Bill Machmer, a UH senior electronics technology control systems major, and 19 other single males, paid Kelly Outdoor Advertising of Houston $2,675 for the ad.

Last July, Machmer and three friends bought a similar ad, which could be seen along Highway 59 at Greenbriar.

As a result of the ad, they received nearly 1,300 letters from interested women all across the nation.

"I'm elated at the response," Machmer said.

"The female respondents ranged from less-educated to doctors and lawyers, and women with their own businesses."

Machmer said the response was so positive that he decided to include more single men in the ad.

"I failed to realize we would get slopped," he said.

Machmer and a few of his friends have been guests on the Phil Donahue Show, Inside Edition and Good Morning America.

"I was a little nervous," Machmer said about appearing on national television.

"I have also given 20 to 30 radio interviews. It's getting easier."

Machmer will appear on the John & Leeza show today at 10 a.m. on Channel 2.

An article about the billboards will run in the December issue of Complete Woman, Machmer said. Glamour magazine has also contacted him.

Machmer, previously married for 10 years, said he came up with the idea to run the two ads because he wanted to set himself "apart from other males."

"There will probably be some skepticism," he said. " (but) I'm not here to make a profit. It's not a business."

However, Machmer admits he's still searching for a wife.

"I've gotten six or seven letters."

"It's very difficult to find someone these days," he lamented.

UH FIGHTS DISHONEST STUDENTS

by Lawrence R. Williams, Ph.D.

'Academic honesty' is exactly what it sounds like. It refers to conducting your academic pursuits in an fair and honest manner. UH policy regarding academic honesty is detailed on page 61 of our current catalog, as well as in the UH Student Handbook. You should have both of these documents.

There are basic rights afforded an accused student.

You can choose to meet with the chair of the department and your accuser to discuss the case.

The chair may decide the case and assess punishment. Punishments range from as little as receiving a zero for the assignment or exam, to suspension.

You may appeal the decision of the chair to the dean of the college of that department. At the college level, the disposition of your case is determined by a committee hearing. This committee consists of the dean, some volunteer faculty and students from that college.

You must receive written notice of the accusation and the time and place of a hearing concerning the matter. During the hearing, you may present witnesses, evidence and even have counsel present.

Should the result of the hearing not be in your favor, you may appeal to the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, who makes a final decision by ordering a review of the case or letting the initial ruling stand.

Remember that the results of a negative outcome may be included on your transcript.

That is the procedural side of the policy. There truly is another side to the academic integrity of students. (Where's my soapbox?)

As someone who has seen violations from several perspectives, including as an advisor and an instructor to classes with 300 plus students, I wish to make three points.

First, there seems to have been an increase in the incidence of violations. I have seen it in my classroom, faculty have expressed similar feelings and students seem to talk about violations more frequently.

Second, students seem to have a cavalier attitude towards academic dishonesty. They appear more distressed with being caught than being dishonest.

Last, it seems fair to assume that someone who cheats his way through school will continue afterward. Would you want a physician who cheated through medical school treating you or your loved ones?

I do not wish to leave you depressed because you are surrounded by a hoard of amoral scoundrels. We have mostly honest students at UH. You work hard and uphold our policy on academic honesty

Do yourself a favor. Help the faculty do a better job finding the scoundrels. We'll take it from there.

Williams is a UH biology professor.

HELTON COPING WITH STREAKING OFFENSE

HOUSTON "O" STRUGGLING TO BE PROFICIENT AT MIDWAY MARK

Head coach Kim Helton has trouble coping with the losses.

After a 1-4-1 start, Houston could be on the way to its worst record since a 1-10 mark in 1986 under coach Bill Yeoman.

If he has his way, Helton will direct the Cougars on a 5-0 march through the rest of the season and an invitation to the Alamobowl in San Antonio.

So far, things have gone just the opposite for Houston's first year coach, who is struggling to find the good in a progressively dismal season.

"I guess I'm an egotistical person about victories," Helton said. "I like the pride that goes into victories. I know how hard we're working, but everybody's just willing to pat you on the back.

"That's not rewarding enough."

Nothing seems to be when you're playing below expectations. Take the offense for example.

Houston led the nation in total offense last season averaging 519.5 yards a game. With six starters returning, the Cougars certainly had the capability of maintaining their big-play potential.

Unfortunately, four of the five starters who left used to call the offensive line home. Only senior right guard Darrell Clapp, a 1992 All-SWC selection, remained to provide the line with his experience and leadership.

But a knee injury forced him out before the season began and Houston's youth movement at the line was launched.

Left tackle Jimmy Herndon, a sophomore, suddenly became the most experienced line player. Opposing defenses picked up on the deficiency rather quickly.

In Houston's opener, Southern Cal held top rusher Lamar Smith, who averaged 7.6 yards per carry in 1992, to 51 yards on 17 attempts.

The offense scored just seven points in a 49-7 confidence crusher. Quarterback Jimmy Klingler was largely ineffective due to constant pressure from an unforgiving USC defense, which collected three sacks.

Tulsa, which Houston was favored to beat, was even less impressed with Houston's line. Smith carried the ball 20 times for just 77 yards.

Last year, Smith had four games of 100-plus yards in a Run-and-Shoot system that was mainly designed for the pass. And he did it on 19 carries or less.

To say the line's run blocking in the first two games was atrocious would be kind.

The quarterbacks weren't much better, although the lack of protection didn't help.

Through the first two games, Klingler was 27-of-53 passing for 251 yards and one touchdown -- a far cry from the 400-yard passing days he was used to.

Disaster struck when Klingler was lost to injury agaisnt Tulsa with only 14 seconds left in the first half.

At Houston's 14-yard line with little chance of mounting a scoring drive, Helton decided to let Klingler heave the ball downfield. The result was a quarterback pile-on that left Klingler with a seriously sprained ankle. It was a call that should not have been made.

Chuck Clements came on in replacement and threw his first collegiate touchdown, a 64-yard interception return to Mike Haensel that put the Cougars out of victory's reach.

But something happened -- and it's not clear what -- to trigger Houston's offense into overdrive.

The Cougars scored 21 points against then eighth-ranked Michigan and Smith had his first 100-yard rushing performance (119) in thrilling fashion.

Clements looked more like Chuck the Conqueror than Chuck the Clown in shredding the Wolverines' defense for 276 yards.

Houston finally collected its first win in 1993 by upending Baylor 24-3 in the Astrodome. The offense was average aside from a 118-yard effort from Smith, but 24 points was more than enough for an inspired Cougar defense.

It was almost reason enough for Houston fans to cheer before heading into the daunting proving grounds of Kyle Field at Texas A&M.

Klingler returned from his injury, but A&M's "Wrecking Crew" defense regurgitated Houston's offensive deficiencies at the line and pocketed four sacks.

But the biggest disappointment by far has been the 28-28 notching versus Southern Methodist despite the offense's ability to overcome a 21-point deficit.

Through all of this, the receivers have been almost non-existent with Smith collecting most of the passes.

For coach Helton, it seems, his good dreams will have to come from somewhere in the future with his own players and his own system. But he'll always have faith in his players, no matter their abilities.

"We're certainly not going to be a good football team next year unless a lot of freshmen can play," he said. "I think that's a harsh statement, but we'll be a young football team.

"I'll never be able to accept the fact that they shouldn't win."

LOCAL CLUBS SPICE UP NIGHT

by Tony Lanman

In my first article (which I know you read) I cited many examples of local talent. I failed to mention one important thing about all of them — where to find them.

There are dozens of music venues in Houston, but lots people don't know about them or where they're located. So I gathered information about some of the major local clubs in town (in other words, this article required no thought on my part).

What follows is soley the opinion of the management of each club, not mine. I also asked each club staffer what, in their opinion, sets their club apart from others in town.

<I>Catal Huyuk<P>, at 2524 McKinney (behind the convention center) describes their type of music as that which leans towards alternative, avant-garde, underground, industrial, alternative jazz, performance art and even underground theatre. The club also features the famous Poetry Slam every Tuesday and the Catal Huyuk Talk Show every Wednesday.

It's laid back, with a coffee house atmosphere. A new PA system is now in and plans call for setting up a computer to dial up your favorite bulletin boards — for free! Call at 237–1018.

<I>Emo's<P>, at 2700 Albany, drifts toward the heavy end of underground music. They prefer to book bands from such labels as Trance, Sub-Pop and Touch and Go. The club features national touring acts as well as Texas and local bands. Shows are always free for people 21 and older. Call at 520–7625.

<I>Fitzgerald's/Zelda's<P>, 2706 White Oak @ Studewood, features a wide variety of music. From country to metal, to pop to funk, all genres are showcased. The club caters to all ages and fans of all types of music. Fitzgerald's books the more well-known acts, while Zelda's features new or up-and-coming acts. Call 862–3838.

<I>Rockefeller's<P> at 3620 Washington Ave., emphasizes blues and R&B, but also features jazz, pop and other musical forms. The stage area is intimate, making it a good all-around listening room. Staffers feel that bands perform better there because that intimacy. Call 861–9365 or 861–4977.

<I>Rudyard's<P>, at 2010 Waugh Dr., features a weekly jazz jam each Thursday night. Call 521–0521.

<I>The Edge Bar<P>, showcase new local bands just starting out. Call 524–4198.

Now you have all the knowledge you need to go and hear a band. If you're still not sure who's playing where or when, pick up the Public News. There are complete listings for every venue in town inside.

Lanman is a sophomore majoring in RTV.