UH STUDENTS BREW UP HALLOWEEN HAUNTS

BARS AND COSTUMES POPULAR

by Sarah Myers

Your ex-girlfriend's a perfect witch, you say? And she says that with your bathroom habits you'd put to the wolfman to shame? With Halloween just around the corner, this is the chance for UH students to act out their fantasies -- or nightmares.

Whether it's a battered, bloody Barney costume or simple French Maid attire, students are planning a break from studying with Halloween excitement.

Architecture major Linda Porras said, "I am going to the AIAS (American Institute of Architecture Students) party and if that's not happening, I'm headed out to the bars."

Bars and parties are part of the traditional Halloween ritual for students, as are costumes.

"I enjoy dressing up for Halloween because it's a way to escape from day to day life," said Scott Haensgen, a junior technology major. "I get to play a different role in life for a night. People are, in general, more social and less self-conscious when they are dressed up."

Remembering past Halloween celebrations, Haensgen said his favorite costume was the one he wore when he and a group of friends dressed as the rock group Kiss.

"Dressing as celebrities was great because it drew a lot of attention to us, especially from girls," Haensgen said.

Even though many students plan to dress up this weekend, many haven't decided what their costume will be.

Architecture student Karen McManus said, "I'll probably wait until the last minute to put together a costume," though she already has plans for Halloween.

Waiting until the last minute to shop for a Halloween costume seems to be a popular theme for many people. Texas Theatrical Supply Inc. off of Fannin still has a huge variety of costumes and costume accessories for sale, said Beth Moran, assistant manager of Texas Theatrical.

So far this year, the most popular costumes are Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, and the traditional skeletons and devils that always sell out, Moran said.

Quality adult package costumes can run up to $50, with a low-end price of $22.

Renting is another popular solution to finding the right Halloween costume.

"We can fit you with costumes from an alligator to Zorro," said a clerk at Costume World Inc. However, the costumes are going fast as Halloween gets closer, he said.

Costume rentals begin at $25 and can go up to $150 for a state of the art Grim Reaper costume, guaranteed to scare even the bravest of souls.

Those who don't have a pocketbook deep enough for buying or renting a costume are forced to let their creative juices flow. There are endless costume-making techniques to utilize.

A simple and traditional choice is the white sheet with two eye holes for an effectively frightening ghost, while the more ambitious and daring may enjoy ideas like assembling a brown trash bag, some newspaper, a pair of tights and some sunglasses into a "Heard it Through the Grapevine" California Raisin.

Although bars and parties are popular haunts, some students are busy with charity this Halloween.

Laura Chavira, Aejandra Gonzalez and Maritza Zarate, three freshmen psychology majors, are volunteering at the Pasadena Care Center, where they'll help administer a party and activities for elderly residents.

Chavira said although most of her friends are planning to hit the endless strip of downtown Haunted Houses, she looks forward to more rewarding activity at Pasadena's Care Center.

Other UH students simply want to relax this weekend.

"I'll probably hang out at home and hide from the trick-or-treaters," said Armando Aguilar, an information systems major. "I'm tired of getting drunk and in trouble on Halloween."

*******************************************************

CRIME DOESN'T TAKE A BREAK FOR WEEKEND

In dealing with a rash of crimes that occurred on the UH campus last weekend, UHPD apprehended two suspected thiefs and are looking for a group of young Asian males.

The UHPD dispatcher received a call on Oct. 22 at 10:21 p.m. from Nazneen Challa, a UC Game Room employee, saying she saw a group of people fighting.

Officers arrived to find Tu Tuan injured and lying on the ground. According to the police report, eyewitnesses said they saw a group of Asian juveniles approach Tuan while he was playing pool.

Tuan got in an argument with the group, who then began beating him repeatedly with pool cuesticks.

Since the group of attackers had fled the scene before police arrived, no arrests were made. Tuan was taken to Ben Taub Hospital for treatment of injuries to his head and torso, and then released.

Another incident came early Saturday morning when UHPD received a call at 4:57 a.m. from the clerk at the Circle-K convenience store located on Calhoun.

The clerk, David Zamudio, told police he witnessed two students stealing a 12-pack of beer.

Zamudio described the students and said he saw them walking down Entrance 1 off Calhoun.

UHPD called Moody Towers and alerted them to the situation.

The student working the front desk said the students had just walked by and identified them as Daulet Baikenov and Raul Vega.

Officers went to the room and found the two students drinking the beer. The police questioned Baikenov and Vega who at first denied the crime, but then later confessed to stealing the beer.

They were issued citations for class C misdemeanor theft and are scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 5.

SCHOOL GHOUL MAY HAUNT E. CULLEN

by Gram Gemoets

Since its construction in 1949, the Ezekiel Cullen building has allegedly been host to strange happenings and ghostly encounters.

As specters roam the halls, mysterious footfalls haunt the basement corridors and hair-raising drafts waft through the halls, say late-night staff members.

"There are certain spots I don't like and at night I stay away from a particular stairwell down in the basement," said Mark Rhoades, theatrical director for the Cullen Performance Hall, during an interview around Halloween time last year.

Some say the ghost of Hugh Roy Cullen wanders the lower galleries of the building that bears his family name. Beneath the floors open to the public, three levels of dark and menacing basements gloomily wind and curve.

Cullen Hall employees say it is the spirit of a workman who fell to his death from the building's roof during construction more than 40 years ago.

Construction began in 1948 and the building opened officially in 1949, according to John Stoker with UH Planning and Construction.

Now, on lonely nights, maintenance personnel claim to hear the eerie pound of a phantom hammer.

A custodial employee saud he thinks it's that dead workman coming back to finish the job he unwillingly left behind in life.

The night custodian claims to have encountered the ghost three years ago around Halloween.

He said he was working in the basement and kept hearing "this clicking noise. I turned around and there he was. An apparition was floating around and checking his pocket watch. I ran and didn't look back," he said.

A decedent of Ezekiel Wimberly Cullen, the self-described father of education in Texas, it was the younger Cullen's dream to establish a university in the heart of Houston's business district.

Since 1936, the Cullens have made substantial annual gifts to establish and maintain UH. After his death, Cullen bequeathed additional funds to the university.

The Cullen Foundation is responsible for contributing $130 million to UH.

Now, late at night, Cullen is purported to wander the halls of the building that bears his name, making sure his fortune was wisely spent.

Many believe that the spirit (or spirits) are most active around Halloween. Rhoades said when you're all alone in the building, you just know something is there with you.

STUDENTS FURIOUS ABOUT DEGREE MIX-UP

Unfulfilled promises may lead to some graduate students having problems finding jobs in their field of expertise.

The College of Technology was offering a master's degree in Science of Occupational Education. Students earning this degree in the spring of 1992 were told if they waited to graduate in the fall of 1992 their degree title would change from Occupational Education to Occupational Technology.

"I was very excited to hear about the name change because Occupational Education did not fit my career aspirations," said Jim Kindel, a purchasing and materials manager for the Texas Process Equipment Company.

The students were told by Sharon O'Neil, chairperson for the department of Industrial Technology, that the name of the degree would be changed starting with the class graduating in the fall of 1992.

"I was shocked when I received my degree and it still read Occupational Education. Dr. O'Neil even said at the commencement ceremony that the fall of 1992 class would be the first to receive the Occupational Technology title," said Kindel.

According to Kindel, when employers read that a person has a degree in Occupational Education they assume a person is looking for a job in development, training, statistical process control or actual teaching.

A degree in Occupational Technology shows a prospective employer that the applicant has management skills and has been trained in the technologies used in a variety of industries, said Kindel.

"I got lucky. When I applied for my job, the man who interviewed me knew about the situation at UH and knew my qualifications were in technology, not education," said Kindel.

The request to change the name of the degree was filed in the fall of 1991 in order to meet students' needs.

According to Mary Ann Pringle, a graduate program advisor, 27 students graduated in the fall of '92 and 24 students graduated in the spring of '93, all of whom expected to receive the new degree name.

"It is a very unfortunate situation for these students that the new degree name did not go through until the summer of 1993," said Pringle.

O'Neil said she had no reason to believe the name change would not have gone through by the fall of 1992.

"I don't remember specifically saying at the commencement ceremony that the fall class of '92 will be the first to receive the new designation, but even at that time I was still under the assumption that name had been changed," said O'Neil.

The process to change the name of a degree begins with approval by the specific department and ends with the approval by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board in Austin.

"The process to change the name of a degree usually takes about a year. I think Dr. O'Neil just assumed the process would take the usual amount of time," said Shirley Ezell, associate vice president for academic programs.

Ezell said that by the time the request was made in Austin, the Board had several more pressing issues on the agenda.

"The Coordinating Board was dealing with the decision to cut TASP funding and they were establishing the criteria for performance reviews for all Texas colleges. The name change just did not take precedence," said Ezell.

Several students have called and tried to have the name changed on their degree as promised, but O'Neil does not feel that will happen.

O'Neil said she is trying to appeal to the Coordinating Board to make the decision retroactive to the fall class of '92, but Ezell said the chance of the decision being retroactive is slim.

"The state does not allow decisions to be retroactive. A person cannot be given a degree they did not earn at the time they graduated," said Ezell.

LAW CENTER TREATS PUBLIC TO CRASH COURSE IN LAW

Vanda Mason walked into Krost Hall amid the 429 others in the People's Law School on Saturday.

She took her complimentary bag containing a copy of Richard Alderman's <I>Know Your Rights<P>, a booklet containing some of his columns for the Houston Chronicle, several papers containing pertinent phone numbers, information about UH's John O'Quinn Law Library and the quintessential yellow legal pad.

Richard Alderman addressed the 430 public law students accompanied by UH President James Pickering and Lynn Librato, president of the Houston Bar Association.

"Once you know more about the law, you will be pleasantly surprised at how you can solve disputes .... you can save money," Alderman told the crowd.

The groups wandered, as lost as a student orientation group, to find their classes. Vanda walked into the criminal law class.

Harris County District Attorney Johnny Holmes and defense attorney Jack Zimmerman, whose past clients include the Branch Davidians, joined Gaynell Jones, U.S. Attorney, to give the presentation.

"It's important to have effective speakers, not just prestigious speakers," said professor Sandra Guerra, an observer who was there to critique the presentations.

Vanda, as most of the others present, had a personal motivation for being there: in January her 18-year-old son was convicted of murder.

She is appealing the case, and came to find out more of what she can do to free her son.

"I think (the law has failed), but we're appealing right now, so I can't say it failed, yet," she said.

She said she liked the presentation, yet she felt a bit annoyed with some of the comments, especially with Holmes'.

"It was enlightening. It's just a losing battle to hear (Holmes) say 'you'll lose.' "

She went to her next class, consumer law. "I want to get some idea on how to protect myself should something like (consumer fraud) occur."

David Burger, a consumer attorney, explained the rigors and protections of consumer law amidst a barrage of questions.

Then came business law, where a tax and financial lawyer presented tips on the most effective way to organize a business.

"I found it very helpful to understand how to start a business," said Vanda.

"It was time well spent. I would like to see them expand it to have more time. Everything was set up to facilitate you," she said.

There was almost no negative feedback and everyone seemed satisfied.

"The day was a success. All comments were positive. Applause (is due) that the university has extended itself and the law center in particular," said Marvin Nathan, a Houston lawyer who sits on the UH Law Center's board of trustees.

The most popular of the nine programs, according to Alderman, were the wills, landlord/tenant laws, consumer law and business law.

"I'm very pleased. It's a real good feeling that the only criticism was that it wasn't long enough," said Alderman.

There will be more classes this Saturday. The next scheduled classes available to the public will hopefully be held in February, said Alderman.

DEFENSELESS

INCONSISTENCY, INJURIES PLAGUE COUGARS' DEFENSE

As it has been for years, the jury is still out on the Houston Cougar defense.

Will they ever compete? Will they ever improve?

Questions such as these continue to be asked about a defense that is ranked 102 out of 106 Division I colleges and on a team with a disappointing 1-4-1 record.

With that in mind, it would be an understatement to say that the defense has not had a lot of fun in 1993.

They are giving up a whopping 459.8 yards and 32.3 points per contest. Both of these numbers are near the bottom of the Southwest Conference.

But then again, they are near the bottom of the entire nation as well.

The defensive line could well be the weakest part of the entire football team. They are giving up 209 yards on the ground and their best tackler is only ranked sixth on the team. Left tackle Nahala Johnson leads the defensive front with 34 stops.

On Oct. 9 against the Texas A&M Aggies, the Cougars even gave up as much as 319 yards rushing from A&M's rushing duo of Greg Hill and Rodney Thomas in a 34-10 loss.

Most of that lack of success, however, comes from the line's immense lack of size. None of their four starters is over 6-0.

Thus, pressure on opposing quarterbacks has been almost non-existent.

"We have lacked intensity," said right tackle Stephen Dixon. "Starting this Saturday, we must change all that."

Amidst all the problems, however, the front did enjoy one "good" game.

In their SWC opener against the Baylor Bears on Oct. 2, the Cougars played an outstanding game by holding the Bears' high-powered running game in check. The line even stopped Baylor on two key goal-line stands that eventually sealed a 24-3 Cougar triumph.

"That was the game that many of our players realized that you have to hit the other guy in order to win," said head coach Kim Helton, who had made a change at defensive coordinator earlier that week by replacing Melvin Robertson with Gene Smith. "We never lost our poise."

But presence, not poise has been the main bug-a-boo for the Cougars' defensive backfield.

What was supposed to be the defensive strength this season has been nothing but a defensive intensive care unit as a few of their starters have been slowed due to injury this season.

Cornerbacks John W. and John H. Brown have missed three starts between them and have even been ineffective when they have played.

Together they have a total of only 24 tackles and one inter-ception.

Strong safety Gerome Williams has also been burned for some big plays on numerous occasions and free safety Donald Douglas is still learning his new position.

"Our situation in the secondary has definitely been more extreme than I would have liked," Helton said.

But if there has been a bright spot on the defense this season, it has been the linebacking corps.

The four starters alone have a total of 199 tackles, led by Ryan McCoy's 92 who is closing in on the team record and possible Dick Butkus Award credentials.

Against Baylor, McCoy went above and beyond the call of duty by recording 21 tackles on the way to the Cougars' victory.

Holding his own on the strong side, Allen Aldridge stands third on the team in tackles with 47, and his two sacks leads the team.

With their inconsistent defense, the Cougars have put themselves in a position where they must win all of their remaining games in order to qualify for a possible bowl berth.

CRUCIFIED BY VHS

FILMS ON VIDEO GIVE CHRIST IN MANY CHRISTENINGS

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

This week, for a change of pace, I've decided to encourage a little ecumenical awareness.

So without further adieu, here's the list for this week's festival: "Christ: The Man, the Myth & the Musical"!

First up is the film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's tacky musical about the life and death of Christ, <I>Jesus Christ Superstar<P>.

Directed by Norman Jewison, this film is filled with unintentionally funny scenes and contains one annoying song after another. It also reaffirms my opinion that Webber (<I>Cats<P> and <I>Phantom of the Opera<P>) can make a musical out of anything!

What biblical festival would be complete without <I>The Ten Commandments<P>?

Director Cecil B. DeMille assembles the most unlikely cast ever for a biblical epic: Yul Brynner? Edward G. Robinson? I kept waiting for Shelley Winters or Ernest Borgnine to make their appearance.

This Easter season television classic is wisely considered to be the greatest Bible story ever told on film. Perhaps. But it is definitely the finest performance Charlton Heston ever gave as a Jewish leader, except for maybe <I>Soylent Green<P>.

And now for something completely different, our next film is <I>Monty Python's Life of Brian<P>.

This is a hilarious parable about the dangers of blind devotion and forgetting to always look on the bright side of life. The Pythons are enough to make anybody forgive the British for <I>The Benny Hill Show<P> and what can be more Christian than forgiveness?

Granted, it's not a biblical story as such (Jesus has only a cameo), but this is better than the majority of religious films at getting across its comical point –that the central message of Christianity is simple: Give first, ask questions later.

And finally, I have to recommend a film you may have missed in the theatres recently. <I>The Favour. The Watch. And the Very Big Fish<P>.

This delightfully quirky film stars Jeff Goldblum and Bob Hoskins as a vagabond with a striking resemblance to Christ and a photographer of religious pictures, respectively.

Among Hoskins' better employs is a favor to a friend to dub voices in a movie. Sacreligiously enough, he dubs for a flick that isn't exactly a Sunday sermon.

Mixed in with all the religious metaphors is an unbeknownst-to-them love triangle between Hoskins, Goldblum and Natasha Richardson, who is positively gorgeous.

And if you don't care about the religious elements involved, then at least you can see how porn films get dubbed.

RAIN STORMS ON RELEASE

The newest group to hit the metal scene, China Rain, is not only backed by some of the hardest hitters in heavy metal, but also has a sound that makes you want to throw down, scream loudly and rebel against your parents.

<I>Bed of Nails<P> boasts the former front man for Zebra, Randy Jackson, delivering a veritable feast of scorching guitar licks and earth-shattering vocals.

Complementing the seasoning is former Dio and Great White bass wizard Teddy Cook.

<I>Bed of Nails<P> is a ride on the ragged edge, with its widely varying sounds ranging from good ol' fashioned hard rock to symphonic orchestration.

Jackson's bluesy guitar slinging and nasty slide-guitar solos produce instant hits such as "You're Only Lonely Today."

Two other noteworthy songs are "Before its Too Late," which typifies today's heavy metal ballad, and "Psychedelic Sex Reaction," which is bound to make your juices flow.

Backing the new prodigies of rock are some of the biggest powerhouses in metal. Producers include Mark Slaughter and Dana Strum of Slaughter and Vic Ponti of Bon Jovi and Nelson.

Some financial underwriters for the record include Rachel Bolan and Dave "Snake" Sabo from Skid Row.

NEW REBIRTH IS COOL

Jazz rap isn’t just cool–It <I>is<P> Cool.

Cool was a musical form that emerged as a companion to bebop and jazz, although it never endured as well as it does now.

Cool combined bebop vocals and jazz melodies to create what is arguably the precursor of much of modern music. The bouncy mix was employed by many of the jazz greats at least once, and it pre-dated both hip-hop and dance music.

As of late, cross-pollinating hip-hop with jazz has gained respectability from many quarters stateside by way of bands like Digable Planets, Freestyle Fellowship and Gang Starr’s Guru. Truth be told, the new, slick hip-hop grooves have more in common with Dizzy Gillespie than Kool Moe Dee.

A new compilation, 4th & B’way’s <I>Rebirth of Cool<P>, captures the international flavor that has picked up and added a new dimension to hip-hop and changed the way young jazzmakers are approaching the craft. From Europe to Japan to the States, Cool is everywhere.

Not one cut is a dog on the whole release. France's MC Solaar, fresh off work on Guru's <I>Jazzmatazz<P>, clocks in with the Aeroplane remix of his fine "Caroline." Outlaw breaks the hardest cut, "Kickin' Jazz." Britain's famed pop-hop purveyors the Stereo MCs roll with "Fever," a UK B-side to the band's hit, "Connected."

Pulling it all together is a sense of purpose of the producers and compilers to portray the broadest range possible. Cool itself has always had many strains, and <I>Rebirth of Cool<P> seeks to carry on the tradition.

Japan's United Future Organization slip in a samples-and-jazz song called "Loud Minority," which, while not as radical as the name connotes, is quite pleasing.

London's Subterraneans turn in the smashing "Taurus Woman," with its funk-tinged beats and spunky grooves.

Even Freestyle Fellowship makes an appearance via the band's hit, "Inner City Boundaries." With its catchy chorus, this tune was an underground hip-hop hit and sounds even better as the wrap-up for this compilation.

Among honorable mentions include the Jazz Warriors' "Chameleon," a mostly-jazz swinger with solid big band influences. Opaz's R&Bish "Don't Say Nothing" is better than sliced bread.

<I>Rebirth of Cool<P> does much to create an ambience of a real music movement, framing it with a touch of history and a bit of street smarts. But some of that is best for the listener to discover alone.

CRUEL GARDEN BRINGS SURREALISM TO LIFE OF LORCA

by Laura Boggus

<I>Cruel Garden,<P> the spectacle that is the life and work of Federico Garcia Lorca, will have its American premiere here in Houston next Saturday.

Lorca, well-known for his poetry and dramas that include the classics <I>Blood Wedding<P> and <I>Yerma<P>, concentrated his artistic efforts on the cultural and social richness of the peoples of Spain.

<I>Cruel Garden<P> is a morose surrealistic portrayal of the life of Lorca, employing the arts of dance, mime, theater, poetry, song and music.

Born in Granada, Spain, in 1898, Lorca met his untimely death at the hands of Spanish fascists in 1936. Since that time, Lorca's works and the events surrounding his death have been suppressed by the preceding fascist regime.

The immense set designed by Ralph Koltai is a blood-spattered bull ring – a reminder of the disquieting state of affairs during Lorca's lifetime.

Conceived by Lindsay Kemp and choreographed by Christopher Bruce, <I>Cruel Garden<P> is directed by both.

Other key players include music composer Carlos Miranda, who injects religious motets from both the "Golden Age of Spanish Music" and traditional Spanish music into his works and vocalist Isabelle Ganz.

Leading a 10-member ensemble of musicians from the Houston Ballet Orchestra will be guest conductor Nicholas Mojsiejenko.

<I> Cruel Garden<P> was created in 1977 for Ballet Rambert and premiered at the Round House Theatre in London.

TIME IN COLLEGE BUILDS CHARACTER

by John Pope

Dear Prospective Employer:

I realize it has been quite a while since we last spoke; I believe your last words to me were, "I'll keep your resume on file and let you know if anything comes up."

Well, much has transpired since you advised me to return to school and obtain my degree.

So much so that I feel more qualified for the position than ever before. I would like to share with you some credentials I've earned since our last meeting.

I am decidedly smarter and wiser than I once was. I now realize that Columbus did not discover America, Beethoven was actually deaf and statistical probability is nothing more than the best biased guess.

My thirst for knowledge is unquenchable and I have made the library my second home.

I know all of this sounds in stark contrast to my reply to your interview question about program language, which was, "I know perfect English and some Spanish." How was I to know?

I have acquired respectable organizational skills. I no longer try to cram eight hours of work into a 14-hour workday. Thanks to my college experience, I am now punctual, priority minded and a party an#@!...er, I mean I'm partial to efficient work skills.

I promise that I really did set my watch ahead, I just didn't know that it would stop.

As for my financial accountability, I have shown tremendous fortitude. Never mind that my entire savings account has been kept in the ashtray of my 1972 Pinto, or that my credit card bills are stacked higher than the national debt.

I have learned to get by on the bare minimum of a copy card, Ozarka water and two hot dogs for 99 cents at Circle K.

My health is as good as it has ever been considering I've survived on No Doze, Visine and mustard and onion sandwiches. Indeed, I have become more responsible while overcoming difficult circumstances.

The sacrifices I have made since returning to school are too numerous to mention. I've been here so long that I'm not sure if Reagan is still in his first term as president. The last movie I saw was "Rocky," and my last dance was at Gilley's Night Club.

Now bear in mind that the intent of this letter is not to complain of my hardships, nor am I trying to gain sympathy.

I just wanted to explain the seemingly idle gap in my resume from 198? to 1993.

As I stated in the beginning, I feel I am a much more worthy candidate in view of the aforementioned facts.

So I just have one question. Can I have the job now?

<B>Raven Revisited<P>

Once upon a midnight dreary

As I studied weak and weary

The sandman made his call

My eyelids began to fall

Nightmares seemed to overcome me

Formula to shareholder equity

And when I awoke

The professor spoke

With a dastardly grin

"Turn your exams in."

John Pope is a senior marketing major.

COUGARS LOOK FOR TECH SWEEP

VOLLEYBALL SQUAD TRAVELS TO LUBBOCK, TAKES ON RED RAIDERS

by Michelle Morgan

Even with a rocky start in the first half of Southwest Conference play, Houston was able to rally and beat Texas Tech in three quick matches 6-15, 13-15 and 15-17 the first time these two met.

Last season Tech finished third, just under Houston, with an overall record of 23-10. This season the Red Raiders are 10-10.

"I really have no idea why they're not doing good," Bill Walton said. "They are so far away I don't get to see them play much. They have the capability but seem to be down about something and just haven't been able to get up."

The loss to Houston on Oct. 6 triggered a five-game losing streak that was recently snapped against Rice.

Rice didn't go down without a fight though. Tech had to take them in four matches 12-15, 15-7, 15-11 and 15-11.

"We've been playing close matches, but little things like putting the ball on the floor and bad passes have hurt us," said coach Mike Jones.

Having just gotten back from the Rice trip, coach Jones hasn't decided if they're going to have a different strategy against Houston.

"I haven't looked at the tape since we played them. They did have good ball control and were able to set to the hitters they wanted," Jones said.

Though Tech isn't the team they were last season Walton doesn't seem to be over confident about the game tonight.

CLAPP GUARDS COUGARS' OFFENSIVE FORTUNES

The Houston Cougars are desperately trying to keep their guard up.

After losing their best offensive lineman, right guard Darrell Clapp, to a knee injury earlier in the season, the Cougars can ill afford to lose him once again with the stretch run of their Southwest Conference season coming up.

"We're getting better every week," Clapp said. "But we just have to come together."

Losing Clapp proved to be a serious thorn in the Cougars' side as his absence left them somewhat unable to move the ball offensively and consistently.

But when Clapp returned to the lineup on Oct. 2 against the Baylor Bears, it showed as the Cougars piled up 343 yards of total offense in a 24-3 victory.

But Clapp admits that the return was not quite that easy.

"It was pretty hard during (the first practices)," Clapp said. "That was the first time in my career that I have ever been taken out of a game due to injury so it was kind of hard to come back like that."

Clapp was an Honorable Mention All-American and a first-team SWC selection in 1992 so it was pretty safe to say that the loss was "crucial."

But now that he is back, Clapp stresses the importance of getting down to business.

"We did a lot of work last week (to prepare for Texas Christian on Saturday), but now we just need to clean it up," he said.

Clapp earned the starting right guard job in 1991 after seeing reserve duty in 1990.

He graded 90 percent or better in six games last fall and did not give up a sack in eight contests.

He came to Houston in 1989 following a stellar high-school career at Corpus Christi Ray in which he was an all-South Texas and all-metro prep choice.

During his senior season in 1988, Clapp was named South Texas Athlete of the Year after lettering in both football and basketball.

But now he must concentrate on leading the Cougars to a possible bowl berth.

"I'm gonna keep on continuing to get better and help this team as much as I can," he said.

Is he confident that the team can indeed get better?

"I'm confident but you can never get over confident," Clapp said. "You must always expect the worst because being over confident can definitely come back to hurt you."