HORNED FROGS GROUND COUGARS' RUNNING GAME TO SCREECHING HALT

FORT WORTH – Before the Houston Cougars took the field against the Texas Christian Horned Frogs on Saturday, game conditions called for a 40-degree temperature with a 14-mph northerly wind.

But the weather wasn’t half as cold as the Cougar running game.

Amidst a ferocious Frog defensive line and constant pressure in the Houston backfield, the Cougars managed to net only four yards rushing in a 28-10 defeat.

"We tried to run but TCU just dominated us," said Cougars’ head coach Kim Helton. "Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong for us today."

The Cougars actually came up with 35 yards rushing, but four sacks on quarterback Jimmy Klingler for a loss of 25 yards helped decrease the numbers.

Nevertheless, the running game was virtually nonexistent.

"We just didn’t have a good day today," said running back TiAndre Sanders, who rushed seven times for 13 yards. "TCU was not letting us run the ball at all."

Part of the reason for that was the fact that the Horned Frogs were able to constantly attack the Houston line with blitzes that stuffed the Cougar backfield.

"Ever since our defense switched to playing 5-2, we have been able to shut out the run," said TCU defensive tackle Royal West, who rolled up eight tackles and two and a half sacks.

"We have been able to put more pressure on the quarterback as well."

But Helton didn’t think there was anything "fancy" about the Frogs’ game plan.

"They didn’t do anything differently against us than what we’re used to," Helton said. "We just were not able to block them well."

There were times when Houston wasn’t running the ball well, and there were also times when it wasn’t running that ball.

Of the Cougars’ 83 total offensive plays, only 20 were rushing plays.

In fact, from the time running back Donald Moffett scored Houston’s only touchdown from seven yards out early in the second half, the Cougars ran 12 straight passing plays.

By game’s end, Houston had elected to pass on 38 of its final 39 plays from scrimmage.

"We were behind (21-10) and weren’t really moving the ball, so we were looking for some type of spark to get us going," Klingler said.

But the spark never ignited.

Saturday’s game proved how much Houston misses running back Lamar Smith.

Having other runners Tommy Guy and Bobby Rodriguez hobbled as well didn’t improve the Cougars’ chances either.

"It was the worst display of football that I’ve ever seen," Sanders said.

*******************************************************

ZONING WILL REFASHION THE FAC E OF THE THIRD WARD

by Sheryl Gibbs & Vicky Tickell

News Reporters

Many voters who live around UH are hesitant to take a stand on the zoning issue, because they are confused about what the complicated proposition will mean to them.

The Third Ward area near UH is a typical mixture of residences and businesses. Under the proposed zoning laws, bars, restaurants, factories, etc. could not locate in a residential zone.

Third Ward councilman Al Calloway supports zoning. Nora Davis, of Calloway's office, said, "Zoning will help in the aspect of stabilizing the residences and businesses of the Third Ward."

If the zoning law is passed, Houston will be dived into zones composed of residential, major activity centers, open space, industrial and green space.

Davis said, "The Third Ward will not be just residential, it will also consist of businesses and urban districts." Residents and business owners remain unsure where the boundaries will be and their effects.

Louis Weaver, owner of Louis' Liquor on Scott St., complained of not knowing all the facts about how his 30-year-old business will be affected by zoning.

"The city never even mentioned the issue of zoning when we talked about remodeling my business a year ago," said Weaver.

Donna Kristaponis, director of Planning and Development at UH said, "If the laws are passed, the sexually-oriented businesses, bars and tattoo parlors already in residential areas will be given six months to one year to relocate. Laws will be enacted to penalize those who refuse to relocate and other business currently in residential areas will be 'grandfathered' and allowed to remain."

Around Houston, there are many signs saying, "Vote no to zoning Nov. 2. It raises taxes." Whether this will be true remains to be seen; however, these signs may have a major impact in the Third Ward.

Mercy Edwards, the president of the Neighborhood Civic Club of the Third Ward said she is against zoning. "One thing I know, it will make our taxes go up." Edwards also said zoning would hurt their community rather than help or redevelop it.

The Houston City Council argues taxes will not go up. Instead property values will increase. Kristaponis said, "Residential areas will be more desirable without the sound of gun shots, the urination, and the copulation associated with the undesirable businesses in neighborhoods."

The last time that zoning was proposed and voted on was in the early ‘60s. The law was rejected and Kristaponis said this was because "discrimination of a different kind was occurring." The pro-zoning people were wealthy. They were trying to make it difficult for "poor housing and low income families to survive." She said the current zoning proposal stopped this kind of discrimination.

Councilman Judson Robinson, a member of the city's zoning committee, agreed and said the zoning of Houston will not affect lower income families because the zoning is based on what we have now.

PROGRAM READIES NEW TEACHERS

by Elizabeth Gonzales

The UH Teacher Internship Program offers graduate students an alternative to traditional student teaching and provides a support system for first-year teachers.

Mickey Hollis, director of non-traditional programs in the College of Education, said, "The program is for individuals who want to be certified in teaching but can't afford to take a semester off for student teaching, for people making a career change and for those individuals who received a degree in something other than teaching."

The program is for post-baccalaureate students who received a degree and are seeking certification for teaching.

Teacher intern, Christine Jones, from Patterson Elementary in HISD, said, "My whole life I've wanted to teach. My whole family teaches and I love children. I received my degree in Public Relations because I thought it would be exciting. After working a few years for an agency, I decided to go back to school to study education – that's what I've always wanted to do."

After a student is accepted to College of Education they are given a Deficiency Plan that identifies the courses the student needs in order to be certified in teaching. Students are expected to enroll for at least 18 semester hours. Classes are set up in blocks of six, called phases.

In Phase I, the student learns the foundations of education, psychology of education and spends 45 classroom hours observing various teaching methods.

In phase II, the student learns how to teach specific academic areas, such as secondary education, mathematics, bi-lingual education and special education.

In Phase III the student is ready to go into the classroom and teach.

Hollis said, "In the Internship Program the student assumes full responsibility for the classroom. They are getting paid the same salary as a first-year teacher with a bachelor's degree, minus $2500 to cover the cost of program fees, and they have a full support system at their school and at UH."

The program offers a school-based mentor, a university mentor, a university supervisor and gives monthly seminars for the first-year teachers.

Jorge Cavazos, an intern at Best Elementary in Alief School District, said, "The seminars are helpful because you can tell them (fellow interns) about a pitiful day and everyone has had a similar experience. You feel so much better knowing it's not just you. A regular first-year teacher wouldn't have this type of support unless they had a really good team."

ALUMNI FIND SHRINKING JOB MARKET FORCES RETURN CLASSROOM

By observing the increasing number of alumni car stickers in the student parking lot, it is obvious more alumni are returning to school.

This is not simply because they cannot get enough of UH, but because more alumni are either having difficulty finding a job or are unsatisfied with their jobs.

Betty Brown, alumni career services coordinator, said the common belief that receiving any kind of degree qualifies someone for a good career is no longer true. Brown said some graduate students are returning to school because they feel they made the wrong choice in majors as undergraduates and do not enjoy their jobs.

"They may be successful, but they don't want to do it anymore, because it is not challenging, they don't see a future in it," said Brown. "They are dissatisfied and they want to do something that means more to them."

People are also not staying in one company for several years. Thus, graduate students are competing with people who have more experience than they do.

Many graduate students are going into social services to work for nonprofit organizations or they want to teach. After several years in the corporate world, some people want a different lifestyle.

"They are much more likely to change jobs, making the job market more volatile," said Brown.

Brown said she believes small businesses have the most growth opportunities and that most big companies are downsizing. Although, she said, this could be a temporary trend.

"I really think people are not hiring because of Clinton," said graduate student Gloria Favuzza. "Growth is in small businesses but they are afraid of (Clinton's) health care and tax rate plans, so they are hanging off on hiring."

Favuzza, a marketing graduate student said she did not anticipate having problems finding a job because she graduated in the top 10 percent of her class.

"Management and marketing were hot degrees in the ‘80s. I don't think they are right now," said Favuzza. "It's very competitive."

Favuzza believes one reason employers are not hiring graduates is because they (employers) have unreasonable expectations.

"They are wanting recent, specific experience, even for something that is real easy," said Favuzza. "They are wanting someone to walk on water."

TUC LEAVES COOGS IN COLD

TURNOVERS COST HOUSTON GAME, BOWL BERTH

FORT WORTH – The Cougars weren’t used to this kind of treatment.

Houston’s offense, even though struggling at times this year, had not overtly committed the cardinal sin of losing the ball and having the other team pounce on it or snatch it away in crucial situations.

All that changed Saturday when the Cougars (1-5-1, 1-2-1 Southwest Conference) fumbled and bumbled their way to a 28—10 loss to Texas Christian (4-4, 2-2) on a chilly afternoon at Amon Carter Stadium in Fort Worth.

The loss not only knocked Houston out of the running for a bowl berth, but created more questions than answers for a team struggling to find itself.

In front of a frozen homecoming crowd of 19,606, the Cougars turned the ball over five times, two of which led to TCU touchdowns, and guaranteed themselves a trip home for the holidays instead of the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio.

Houston needed to win all five of its remaining games to be considered for a bowl.

"It doesn’t matter if we win our next four games," said Houston running back TiAndre Sanders, who rushed seven times for 12 yards and caught six passes for 55 yards. "We’re still going to be home."

Throwing two interceptions and losing three of four fumbles will do that to a team. In a cruel twist of fate, TCU had five fumbles but lost only one.

"It’s not an easy day to face," said head coach Kim Helton. "It was a situation where our kids came up here with hopes of playing good and were soundly defeated by the TCU defensive front."

The Frogs’ defensive line created the big defensive play all day. Left tackle Royal West popped the ball out of Sanders hands on Houston’s first play after TCU took a 7-0 lead on John Oglesby’s 2-yard run with 2:23 left in the first quarter.

Strong safety Greg Evans recovered the fumble and quarterback Max Knake turned the gift into a 7-yard TD run six plays later for a 14-0 lead.

"When I fumbled, I felt the ball pop out and I just stood there and looked at it and the guy fell on it," Sanders said, shaking his head.

It was that kind of day.

Houston quarterback Jimmy Klingler seemed to get things rolling at the start of the second quarter after Donald Moffett returned TCU’s kickoff 56 yards.

Klingler, smothered by defensemen, somehow managed to get a pass off to Sanders, who scrambled for a touchdown.

But an official’s whistle inadvertently blew the play dead at the TCU 33, and eight plays later, Klingler threw an interception to Evans at the 2-yard line to end the drive.

"I had an interception at a bad time," said Klingler, who finished 20-of-42 passing for 242 yards before being replaced by Chuck Clements because of sore ribs. "We were about to go in and score. They capitalized on our mistakes and we didn’t capitalize on theirs."

STUDENT DENIES ASSAULT CHARGE

A dispute over a parking space has led to the question of what really happened, while one student faces trial on a charge of assault.

According to a UHPD report, Sheba Jones became involved in a dispute over a parking space in Lot 15D with Lawrence Caudell.

Lt. Helia Durant said the dispute ended with Jones pulling out a gun and threatening Caudell.

Police found Jones' car, from a description given to them when Caudell filed his complaint, and waited for Jones to return.

Lt. Durant said Jones then returned to her car where officers explained she was not being arrested, and a complaint had been filed against her for flashing a gun.

Jones agreed to a search by police who found a .380 caliber handgun in her purse.

"We did not arrest her at that time because we had told her she was not under arrest before we conducted the search of her bag," said Durant.

The District Attorney's office rejected the original charges.

Durant's appeal to have the rejection overturned was accepted and Jones was arrested on Oct. 22.

Jones contends the police report is false and that it was Caudell who attacked her.

"I was following a girl who said she was leaving. When the girl left I started to pull into her parking parking space," said Jones.

"While I was pulling into the space I heard a screeching sound from a car coming towards me in reverse," added Jones.

According Jones, Caudell had seen the other girl leave the space and was attempting to occupy it before she could.

"He jumped out of his car and started beating on the top of my car. I tried to roll my window up, but he wouldn't let me," said Jones. She also said Caudell shouted racial slurs and obscenities at her.

"I just left and went to another space. I was terrified, but it's a lie that I pulled a gun on him," said Jones.

Jones is currently awaiting trial and has been charged with aggravated assault with a gun, a third-degree felony .

Caudell was unavailable for comment.

STUDENTS FAVOR FEE-FREE ATHLETICS

Compiled by

Daily Cougar Staff Reports

Students voted last week to allocate a fixed percentage of student service fees each semester to the Athletic Department, instead of giving the athletics a straight percentage regardless of how much the student service fee is raised.

Although the majority of students polled last week did not want to abolish intercollegiate athletics, they were against paying for it.

The Faculty Senate's referendum on a dedicated athletic fee showed that out of 737 voters, 604 voted to dedicate $34 per student per semester to athletics, while 131 voted to fund athletics with 35 percent of whatever the student service fee may be.

Two votes were invalid, meaning that instead of checking a box marked "yes" or "no," students wrote in other comments, said Ouida Middleton, election commissioner for the Faculty Senate.

The dedicated athletic fee will be $34 per student per semester for fall and spring, as well as for the 9- and 12-week summer sessions.The fee will be $17 per student for the 6-week summer terms.

Since 1988, 35 percent of student service fees has gone to athletics, regardless of how much the fee is raised.

Student Fee Advisory Committee Chair Roger Peters said that if the dedicated athletic fee is raised more than 10 percent over the previous year's fee, the increase will not be effective unless it is approve by a majority of the students' votes.

The results of the vote will be given to President James Pickering, who will decide whether or not to present them to the Board of Regents.

FITNESS MUSCLES IN ON FEMININE STEREOTYPES

Charlotte Pennye

Nineteen of the fittest women in Houston filled the stage of the Cullen Performance Hall recently to compete in the eighth annual Ms. Fitness U.S.A. preliminary pageant.

City Fitness magazine co-sponsored the event along with Chancellors, MET-Rx, Great Earth and the Sports Medicine and Performance Institute of Texas. Contestants competed in three rounds of competition, and a panel of five judges scored them on beauty, poise and muscle definition.

Reneé Redden, pageant co-host and co-publisher of City Fitness magazine, said, "For years we’ve had the Miss America and numerous body building pageants, but there has never been a pageant for the average woman. This pageant is for the toned, fit and feminine woman, the look most women want."

The evening gown competition was first event. Contestants introduced themselves and gave a statement about the role of fitness in their lives.

The swimsuit round followed, with contestants being judged on physique, symmetry and muscle definition.

Keith Klein, host for the evening, said, "Judges for this pageant are not looking for a body-builder type physique, just a slender physique."

The second round concluded with the announcement of the top ten finalists: Pamela Richie, Monica Brant, Melissa Dean, Crystal Calderonie, Michelle Schura, Tatianna Anderson, Susan Esta, Roxanne Cockera, Shawna McCarver and Kimberly Morgan Forbes.

The final round consisted of a 90-second workout routine, where contestants were judged on strength, flexibility and personality projection.

The second thru fifth place winners: Susan Esta, Michelle Schura, Lisa Dean and Shawna McCarver received trophies and qualified to compete in the national competition in February.

Tatianna Anderson, the first place winner, received a round trip ticket to Knoxberry Farms to compete in the national pageant, a case of MET-Rx and 12 massages from the Fountain of Youth.

"Goals, a good attitude and balance are a daily part of my life. Fitness is a lifestyle that should be developed at an early age," Anderson said.

GRASS ROOTS MAYORAL HOPEFULS STRUGGLE FOR MEDIA COVERAGE

by Gram Gemoets

News Writer

While Mayor Bob Lanier has the benefit of a hefty campaign war chest, his opposition is funded on a shoestring budget.

In contrast to the $42,000 Lanier dropped on TV campaign commercials, candidates Luis Ralf Ullrich, Brian Bowen and Jerry Frewirth are this year's financial underdogs. Their budgets are each well below $2,000.

Without expecting to win, Lanier's opponents represent political awarness efforts rather than the expensive, punch-and-run politicking for which Texas is so famous, Scherr said.

"Winning people politically isn't buying them," Socialist Party Member Robbie Scherr said. Scherr is a volunteer with Frewirth's campaign. Frewirth's entire budget consists of $1,700 ($1,250 of which covered the filing fee).

"The media treats (Lanier's) opposition as minor candidates. We don't get the same attention," Scherr said. "Even without his big budget, he would still get all the attention because of his party affiliation."

Without much media cooperation, Frewirth is forced to depend on small donations and self-generated publicity. Instead of expensive mail outs, Frewirth's volunteers plaster literature on car windshields.

"Donation wise, we've seen a lot of one dollar bills," Scherr said, noting the highest donation to come through their office was $100.

According to his headquarters, $1000 checks to Lanier's campaign are not uncommon.

Luis Ralph Ullrich, aka Ralph the Plumber, owner of the defunct Pig n' Pak, covered his filing fee with signatures.

City ordinance mandates that if a candidate can get the same number in signatures as the filing fee, the fee is waived. Therefore, Ullrich had to raise over 1000 signatures.

Ullrich is perhaps the best example of a grass roots effort at public awareness. Even without literature, Ullrich's budget makes Frewirth's look large by comparison.

Bowen is perhaps the luckiest of the three. As a spokesman for gay rights, Bowen can depend on the politically active homosexual community. With Houston's large gay community, the media has given Bowen more attention than the others.

While lacking the fund for an expensive campaign, Bowen is still hopeful.

It is unclear what Lanier's opposition would do in office. "We don't really expect to win," Scherr said.

FEARLESS IS A VERY BRAVE ENDEAVOR

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

It is an intriguing question: What happens to someone who comes face-to-face with death, and lives to remember the encounter.

<I>Fearless<P>, the new film from acclaimed Australian director Peter Weir (<I>Witness<P>, <I>Dead Poets Society<P>) addresses it well.

This is a film about Max Klein (Jeff Bridges), an architect who is afraid of flying, but who finds himself flying from San Francisco to Houston with his partner on business. When the plane’s hydraulic system fails, it begins a long plummet back to Earth, during which the passengers’ worst fears of death are very possibly about to occur.

This crash scene is dramatically recreated in horrifying detail by Weir and screenwriter Rafael Yglesias. The panic and, more importantly, the fear experienced by all the passengers and crew is enough to discourage anyone from ever flying again.

At his supposed moment of death, Max finds himself not afraid for the first time in his life, in fact he experiences an ecstatic calm. He becomes a hero by helping others to escape the wreckage, even saving a baby in the process.

But when he returns to his family, he is a different man.

Max now believes himself to be invincible and begins to take dangerous chances with his life. After surviving one of these chances he screams to Heaven: "You tried to get me! But you couldn’t! You couldn’t!"

Also on the plane with Max is Carla (Rosie Perez), a young mother traveling with her two-year-old son. During the crash her son dies and Carla is unable to cope with the loss.

Fearing that both Max and Carla may crack under their different stresses, the airline’s psychologist (John Turturro) introduces them to each other. Hoping they will help one another in ways no one else could.

This is an incredible film and the issues it faces are common to all of us. It has a smart, well written screenplay and Weir’s direction is flawless.

The performances are all-around brilliant. Jeff Bridges is nothing short of perfect and it would not be surprising to see him receive another Best Actor nomination.

<I>Fearless’<P> big surprise is Rosie Perez, who has never really had to act in her earlier roles, but finds herself forced to make this mother’s grief believable. She succeeds incredibly well.

The supporting cast is also strong and features the beautiful Isabella Rossellini as Max’s wife. The steady Turturro as Dr. Perlman and Tom Hulce as a wonderfully barbaric, ambulance-chasing attorney.

ADVISOR OFFERS GRADUATION CHECKLIST

by Lawrence R. Williams, Ph.D

Imagine the disappointment associated with planning to graduate at the end of the semester and then you find can’t.

It seems you forgot some necessary paperwork. It sounds trivial, but certain paperwork and procedures are necessary and you are the responsible party. With this tragedy in mind, a friend on campus suggested I provide you with a "Graduation Survival Checklist" (thank you, Cathy).

You will need a signed, approved degree plan on file (I've been through this before). This is a critical document in any situation, because it precisely describes the required courses and credit hours you need to graduate. Along with university requirements, it will contain your college and departmental requirements too.

Therefore, by the end of the semester in which you plan to graduate, all courses and hours required on your degree plan should be satisfied.

You must complete a minimum of 122 credit hours to satisfy the university requirement. Your college may require more. You must complete a minimum of 36 advanced credit hours. You must complete all levels of the university core curriculum. Knowing whether you have satisfied these requirements is easy if you have a degree plan on file and you use it to monitor your progress toward your degree.

With regard to Level III Knowledge Integration of the university core curriculum, you must complete six hours from the approved list or complete a minor. If you have chosen a minor, you should have a signed, approved minor degree plan or declaration of a major on file. Documents for a minor field of study are requested in the department offering the minor.

All relevant petitions must be signed and on file in the office of your major. These often include re-evaluation of transfer credit or degree requirement waivers – and they are absolutely essential.

You must have a minimum 2.0 GPA in your overall coursework, and in your major and minor fields of study. All courses taken in each of those areas are used to calculate your GPA, including those courses that were retaken. Some colleges limit the number of credit hours you are allowed below a certain grade in your major (For instance, NSM has a limit of 6 to 8 hours below C- in the major), so be aware of these and other special limitations.

You must apply for graduation in room 108 in E. Cullen. Fill out the form, turn it in, and pay your $25 graduation fee or you can be billed.

But, remember that there is a deadline for filing for graduation in a particular semester. If you miss the deadline, there are at least two penalties. First, there is a $10 late fee. Second, you will probably need permission from your dean to apply late.

Also, your application is good for only one semester. If you do not graduate in the intended semester, you must re-apply for graduation. You must re-apply before the deadline. The good news is that you only have to pay the graduation fee once.

You must have completed the Writing Proficiency Exam. It is possible to have this waived. You must file a petition, usually through your major department or directly to the office of the senior vice president for academic affairs, currently room 213 E. Cullen. The petition must be accompanied by proof of a score of 21 or higher on the English usage part of the ACT, or 550 or higher on the verbal section of the SAT or GRE.

Good Luck.

Williams is an undergraduate advisor in the Biology department.

STUDENT VOTERS FEIGN APATHY

While 102 candidates vie for 16 local positions and with 16 constitutional amendments on the ballot in the upcoming election, many UH students are oblivious to the Nov 2 elections.

Voter apathy has been a growing problem nationwide since the 1960s. With university students increasingly more suspicious of politicians and government, candidates have found it difficult to tap into the 18 to 25-year-old vote.

In the 1991 Houston mayor's race, about 50 percent of the students in Houston were registered to vote, yet only 60 percent voted. The students' votes accounted for 15 percent of the total votes, said Richard Murray, a UH political science professor.

"Students don't see the positive affects of voting. If students thought

their vote would get them what they wanted, they would vote," said Stacey

Allen, a senior biology major.

The student-voter turnout compares to an overall 60 percent of the registered voters in Houston who voted in the last election. Out of two million eligible Houston voters, only 750,000 were registered to vote in 1991.

Despite the low student-voter turnout, the 1991 city elections did capture some student attention by featuring a hotly contested three-way race between former Mayor Kathy

Whitmire, Bob Lanier and Sylvester Turner, Murray said.

However, in this year's mayoral race, the popular incumbent, Lanier is running for a second term. His three opponents are virtually unknown in Houston politics. Two of the three candidates running against Lanier have no political experience and the other is the Socialist Workers Party candidate. Murray said Lanier should easily win his bid for another term.

Because of this years scramble for the anticipated vacant city council vacancies, because of term limits squabbles, this year's election has attracted more candidates than usual.

"We have so many people running, it is impossible to find out everybody's views," said Caren Thorner, a senior information systems major.

This year's race has been upstaged by the hotly contested debate and court battle over term limits. City Controller George Greanias and four council members were almost knocked off the ballot because of problems with their petitions.

Of the 60 UH students randomly asked if they cared about the election, more than 40 students said they have little interest in the goings on in City Hall.

"There's general apathy out there, but it's particularly high among young adults," Murray said. "It's easier for students to get involved when there is a visible mayor's race. When you just have zoning and bonds as the most important issues, you are down to political junkies."

Sabrina Guerrero, a freshman music performance major said, "I haven't been paying any attention. I have other things to worry about."

The consensus among the students surveyed is that they just

do not have time to care about local races.

"I don't think students are too concerned with the ability of city government to initiate programs," said Nolan Renobato, a post baccalaureate student in political science. "Government doesn't seem to really concern individuals in the primary age category that are attending college."

TERM LIMITS

This year’s city council races were clouded in controversy over the term-limitations issue as several challengers filed lawsuits to keep incumbents off the ballot.

The problems erupted over a provision in the term-limitations ordinance that allows incumbent elected officials to gather signatures to remain on the ballot.

Council member, Jim Greenwood, was knocked off for failing to gather sufficient signatures, while four other council members, Christin Hartung, John Goodner, Frank Mancuso, Ben Reyes and Eleanor Tinsley, were disqualified because they failed to list Zip codes of signers. George Greanias, the city controller, encountered problems when signers failed to list their home county.

City Attorney, Benjamin Hall ruled these technical violations of the election code invalidated their petitions, however, Mayor Bob Lanier decided to allow them on the ballot.

Even though they were allowed to run, Greenwood and Goodner dropped out of the city council race. Goodner has retired from city politics while Greenwood will challenge Greanias in the city controller’s race.

"It seems like Lanier dug a trench with this one," J. Michael Marks, a sophomore communications major, said. "It smacks of sweetheart deals between incumbents."

Jeff Parker, a junior political science student, said that the voters approved the "loophole" and the term-limitations, so they should stick with the referendum results.

"They should not be allowed on the ballot if their petitions are found to be faulty," Parker said.

Single-district council members need signatures of 5 percent of the total number of voters in their last election. At-large incumbents needed the signatures of 20,000 qualified voters.

The Citizens for Term Limitations, an organization led by

Clymer Wright that fought to enact the ordinance in Houston, opposes the provision in the ordinance allowing council members to petition.

"It has become obvious that elected officials have become arrogant and unresponsive to people. We need to bind the elected officials with the chains of term limitations," said Wright.

Wright’s organization has backed the lawsuits filed by challengers attempting to keep the incumbents from running. Each of these attempts, thus far, has failed.

"People shouldn’t just have that free ride of staying in office as long as they want. It makes them less accountable," said Dana McDaniel, a junior political science major.

Wright’s organization considers the loophole, that allows incumbents to circumvent the three, two-year term-limitations restriction, to be wrong. Jessica Farrar, Reyes’ chief of staff, said that the allowance for petitions is not a loophole.

"If you can be knocked off the ballot, then you should be able to get back on the ballot," Farrar said.

Term limitations advocates have their reasons for wanting to "kick the bums out," but at the same time they are "throwing out everybody," Farrar said.

"I don’t agree with term limits. We have the power to vote. It is our privilege." said Debbie Dedrick, a senior elementary education major.

Although Wright’s organization claims that term limits will lead to a cleaner, more efficient city government, Bob Stein, a Rice University political science professor, disagreed.

Stein will soon publish a book on efforts to limit the terms of U.S. representative.

"Term limits rob council of people who voters want. Term limits won’t raise people’s respect for city government. It does not produce a responsive, efficient government," Stein said.

WOMEN IN POLITICS

by Phillana Williams and Jane Shasserer

News Reporters

Houston has seen a sharp increase in the participation of women in the political process, which should become evident in the Nov. 2 election.

In a recent poll taken among UH female faculty, staff, students and citizens voiced their opinions and outlooks on the local political system. All the participants in the poll were registered voters and approximately 70 percent plan to vote in the upcoming election.

"By expressing my voice, there is a chance my ideas will be heard. Non-voters not only hurt themselves, but others who have the same ideas," said Charlyn T. Bradley, a 22-year-old Junior IST major.

Based on the poll, the outlook of the current political system by UH women is fairly positive. Most of the participants felt that their vote would make a difference.

"It is an important citizen's right to vote. I am patriotic and voting is a value. It makes a difference to believe in making a difference in this world," said Amy Wortham, 35-year-old director of UH's STEPS program, which is part of the Counseling and Testing Service Department.

The concern for 'making a difference' is apparent in the U.S. Census Bureau's Statistical Abstract report which projected that women would make up 52% of the total voting population in the 1992 presidential election.

Wortham said she feels that a majority of women are still oppressed and have feelings of poor self-worth; therefore, they have low status in their society, home and workplace.

"I would tend to saying that (women's roles) are changing. They are much more aggressive in taking on the challenges that were once delegated to men," said Councilwoman Graciela G. Saenz.

Saaenz, a UH alumnae, made history in 1992 by becoming the first Latina ever elected to council, and was the first Hispanic chosen for an at-large council seat. Saenz added that more than 50 percent of the work force is made up of women and we need to look to them in building leadership.

Women voters are projected to make up more than 50 percent of the total voting population in the Nov. 2 election according to precinct information compiled by Harris County.

An overwhelming majority of the poll respondents saw zoning as an important issue that should be addressed by city council. Other issues that were repeatedly mentioned were crime, drug abuse, homelessnesss and education.

"I feel that women are still being discriminated against in our political system because there are mostly men candidates," said Shirley Stevens, a 57-year-old buyer in UH's Purchasing Department.

Of the participants polled, 87 percent felt that women are still being discriminated against in the political system. There are 23 women candidates out of 121 running for council seats. That’s amounts to 19 percent of the total number of candidates.

"I feel that more women in our political system is a positive aspect of our society. We have the sensitivity and the perceptiveness that men do not have," said Iris Bird, a master’s candidate in Social Work. She adds that women have a tendency to focus more on issues like child care than do men.

Saenz said that she feels women will be an important factor in the outcome of Tuesday's election.

"I see more women coming out to vote than men. They go out, look at the issues, educate themselves and ask questions," Saenz said.

UH ALUMNAE, STUDENTS ROUND OUT NOVEMBER BALLOT

by Phillana Williams

and Jane Shasserre

News Reporters

Among the 23 women candidates on Tuesday's ballot, eight are UH alumnae or students.

Elizabeth Lara, 36, candidate for District H councilmember, attends UH. Lara was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1984, 1988 and 1992.

Councilwoman Graciela G. Saenz, 40, graduated from UH in 1978 and the UH Law Center in 1986. Saenz, Houston's first Hispanic councilmember, was elected to her current position in 1992.

Candidate for councilmember of District C, Martha J. Wong, received a master’s degree in education from UH in 1977. Wong, 54, is on staff at Houston Community College.

Running in opposition to Wong, Louis O'Connor, graduated UH <I>summa cum laude<P> in 1978. O'Connor, 57, is the senior aide to Councilman John Goodner.

Shirley Bartle, 58, is seeking the position of councilmember for District F. Bartle attended UH and was an instructor of business education.

Councilmember at-large position 2 candidate Rose Marie Walker, 52, is a free-lance writer and editor. She received her bachelor’s degree 1968.

Marilu Rumfolo, 40, is also a candidate in the at-large position 2 race. Rumfolo, a securities firm executive, attended UH.

Co-founder of the Asian Chamber of Commerce, Glenda Joe, is bidding for the council at-large position 3 seat. Joe, 41, attended UH from 1973—1978.

HISPANICS SHOULD FIND POWER IN NUMBERS THIS YEAR

by Jason Jaeger

Hispanics could cast the deciding votes in the Nov. 2 election, if Houston's Hispanic leaders are correct.

According to the city of Houston Planning and Development Department's records, about 28 percent of Houston's population is Hispanic. Only 12 percent of Hispanics voted in the last election, said Jay Root, political reporter for the Houston Post.

Root said the Hispanic population grew 10 percent between 1980 and 1990, and by 2030, 40 to 50 percent of Houston's population will be Hispanic.

Greg Reyes, brother and campaign volunteer for Ben Reyes said Hispanics are the majority minority in this city.

Johnny Mata director of League of United Latin American Citizens District 18 said, "We're gonna be more visible."

As the Hispanic population continues to grow, Mata said the number of Hispanics in politics will grow also.

Rodriguez said the low voter turnout among Hispanics is largely due to the lack of legal citizenship. However, he said this trend is changing as more Hispanics are born in the United States.

Another problem in the Hispanic community is poverty, according to Mata and Rodriguez. Rodriguez said that 27 percent of Houston's Hispanic population is below the poverty line. "Poverty breeds frustration hopelessness and despair," Mata said.

Mata said that it is not just Hispanics that turnout in low numbers. He said voter turnout in the United States on the whole is pathetic.

"We're all in the same boat together," Mata said.