CORPORTATE SPONSORS VISIT UH BRINGING GAMES AND PRIZES

American Tour plans to visit 40 college campuses

One of the top college marketing events is coming to UH.

The Campus America Tour, presented by Barnes and Noble Bookstore, is a traveling festival of games, contests, freebies and entertainment.

Visiting campuses across the nation, the tour traveled to 14 colleges last spring and will appear at another 26 colleges this fall.

At each campus, there's a search for America's most versatile college athletes during the Reebok MVA Competition.

This contest involves various events including the Shaq Shootout, the Jay Novacek Cowboy Challenge, the Soccer Challenge, the Michael Chang Mach Point, the Mark McGuire Strikeout and the John Daly Hole-in-one.

The contest awards a male and female winner at each campus with a free pair of Reebok shoes.

The student with the highest overall score at the end of the tour will win a grand prize from Reebok.

Representatives from <I>GQ<P> magazine will also come to UH during the tour.

These stylish people will host a variety of contests and activities.

For example, in the "Dress For Success" contest, students match shoes displayed at the <I>GQ<P> booth with the proper outfit as it appeared in the pages of the magazine.

All correct entries will be entered in a drawing for a pair of Florsheim shoes.

During the <I>GQ<P> "Celebrity Behind the Eyes" contest, participants can enter a drawing to win a Murray Mountain Bike.

All students have to do is name the magazine's cover celebrities after viewing partial <I>GQ<P> covers which reveal only the eyes.

Another <I>GQ<P> contest, "Big Car on Campus Challenge," has students taking a test on the many features offered in the two Toyota cars parked at the <I>GQ<P> booth.

The student with the best test score will win a <I>GQ<P> backpack filled with gifts from Toyota and <I>GQ<P>.

Nautica Fragrance will also be at the tour to give students a chance to see themselves on the cover of a <I>GQ<P> magazine.

Each student photographed for the <I>GQ<P> cover will also receive a free Nautica Fragrance sample.

The tour also features gifts from 14 other corporate sponsors, including Hagen-Dazs, Sprint, Pepsi, <I>Details<P>, <I>Mademoiselle<P> magazine and Fuji Film.

A professional comedian will serve as the Tour's emcee, leading students in a variety of games such as Simon says, Mega-twister, Name that Tune and a water balloon toss. Students who compete in the tour's exciting contests can win fantastic prizes from all of the tour sponsors.

The tour hits UH from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Nov. 15 and 16 at Lynn Eusan Park.

*******************************************************

PROF SAYS INCOME TAX COULD HURT TEXAS

by Rosalind Coronado, Shaunn Boyd and Tanya Eiserer

News Reporters

Tuesday voters were asked to vote on the politically hot topic of whether or not to give the Texas Legislature the power to enact a personal income tax.

Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock, the architect of proposition four, along with other state leaders, has been pushing for a state income tax as a method to rework the tax system, said Richard Murray, a UH political science professor.

"The state's current tax system is unworkable," Murray said. "It does not reflect the future growth of the economy."

Without a state income tax, Texas will be unprepared to deal with a rapidly changing economy, said Murray.

One third of the revenue generated by a personal income tax would be earmarked to fund education and two-thirds would go to roll back local school taxes.

"The enactment of a personal income tax does not necessarily guarantee more funding for education," said Steven Craig, UH professor of economics. "It's a red herring. The people in Austin want an income tax because they don't think they have enough money to spend."

Craig said that the state could easily reallocate money dedicated currently to education toward other things once an income tax is enacted.

Murray said he disagreed with Craig and said he plans to support the proposition.

Care Killough, a sophomore biochemistry major, said, "I support the proposition if the revenue will go to education and to improve educational systems."

Several other UH students said that they would not vote for the proposition because they did not believe that the funds would really be used for education.

Texas remains one of the few states in the nation without a personal income tax. Texas primarily relies on oil revenues, sales taxes and property taxes. This favorable tax climate tends to make Texas an attractive place for businesses to locate, said Craig.

If Texas enacts an income tax and keeps its sales and property taxes, Texas will lose the advantage of being a low-tax economy, said Craig.

Besides grappling with the issue of a personal income tax, one of the other issues voters were asked to approve was a Houston Community College bond issue for $300 million. The money would be used to improve existing campuses and to build new campuses.

"Expansion in physical facilities of any college helps higher education. Anything that will improve quality of HCC improves higher education," said Tom De Gregori, a UH economics professor.

At press time, election results were not in.

KUHF FUND-RAISER A SUCCESS

CAMPUS RADIO AND HOUSTON FOOD BANK BENEFIT

by Pam Griffin

Jerry Lewis doesn't have anything on the KUHF Radio Telethon.

KUHF has almost reached their goal of $300,000 with contributors pledging more than $269,000 during last week's fund-raising campaign.

Radio officials are still counting money after what they called a successful "Fall '93 Membership Campaign for the Classics" fund raiser. The total amount of matching contributions by current members has not yet been determined, said John Profitt, general manager of KUHF.

With a classical music and news format, KUHF is one of the top 20 of more than 2,000 professional and public radio stations in the nation.

About 60 percent of KUHF's $1.7 million operating budget is derived from a seven day, biannual membership campaign. More than 13,000 members contribute regularly to the station each year. The average member is college educated between the ages of 25-54.

"The primary goal of the campaign is new membership," said Proffitt. More than 2,100 members joined during the recent week with about the same number of members renewing pledges. Periodic on-the-air announcements encouraged listeners, both individuals and corporate members, to call in and pledge money. About 15 percent of the station's members are corporate.

The average contribution from an individual is $58, with amounts ranging $5-$$1,000. Corporate members usually contribute about $5,000.

Some corporate members get announcements on-the-air in return for contributing to the station. "It's a 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' relationship," said Betty Morgan, publicity director for KUHF.

Academy, a sporting goods store and corporate supporter, contributed an extra $10 for every member that joined on the air and said they shopped at Academy, said a spokesman for the company.

"It was great; everyone shops at Academy. It really boosted our margins," said Proffitt.

KUHF was not the only organization to benefit from the campaign. La Madeleine French Bakery, another corporate supporter, challenged potential contributors by giving $1 in fresh food to the Houston Food Bank for every $2 pledged to KUHF. By the end of La Madeleine's challenge, KUHF had received almost $80,000 and the Houston Food Bank received almost $40,000 in fresh food credits.

FEMALE CADET COMBATTING STEREOTYPE

It was hot. Holly Verhasselt could feel all 95 degrees beating down on her in full dress, her 30 pound rucksack. An M16.

The Ranger Challenge Team Competition was a one-day contest. It had been long: push-ups and sit-ups. The grenade assault course was tricky, but she made it through. Then there was weapons assembly. She also built and crossed a rope bridge. But this was it, the last event of the day, the rough run.

The rough run is a five kilometer obstacle course designed to test a soldier, but she couldn't make it. Her ranger team had to help her the entire way.

"I just died there," Verhasselt said, "I gave it my all, but they had to drag me the whole way."

Verhasselt is an electrical engineering junior and classified as an MS3 -- Military Science, level three. She enlisted in the army while still in high school and is now a part of the ROTC program at UH.

"Well, my family was in the army. I think everyone should (join the army), it's not just about military, but also about yourself," she said.

She hails from Wisconsin and from a military family, but with two brothers and a sister, she is the only one of her siblings to pursue a military career.

One month after Verhasselt enlisted, her reserve unit was called to Saudi Arabia. They spent 13 months on active duty. She could not go, however, because she was still in high school.

The Tailhook scandal's resurgence in the press has sparked debate about sexism in the military.

"There is a lot of kidding (about me being a woman), but I've never seen anything get out of control," Verhasselt said.

She said she is very proud to be a woman in the service. "I can do everything I want to do without my being a woman getting in the way," she said.

Women are currently not allowed in infantry combat situations, but Verhasselt disagrees with that policy.

"If (men and women) meet one standard, they should be in combat," she said.

Her advice to other women considering a military life is to go for it; she believes the military teaches just as many personal skills as they do technical.

"Always remember it's not just a man's army. Anything a man can do we can do as well," she said.

The life of a career military officer is emotionally stressful, to be sure. Frequent moves, physical danger and the rigors of military enlistment are a few of the challenges. But Verhasselt is looking forward to a military career in her specialization, military intelligence.

"I've had my doubts, like at basic training when you're up all night and cold, but I've never regretted enlisting or joining ROTC," she said.

After each cadet graduates he or she is sent to the Officer Basic Course, where, upon completion, each cadet is commissioned a second lieutenant.

After each cadet is commissioned, those who wish to pursue active duty go to a Summer Advance Camp where each officer is graded based on physical training, university grades and military science class grades. Only those who score well in all three areas will receive active duty. The others are on reserve as second lieutenants.

"Well, my dad doesn't like (her career in the military) a whole lot, but he supports it. He was former army - he knows the life," she said. "He's behind me all the way."

She strides back to the ROTC office in uniform with the glint of an overcast sun on the tips of her boots.

COMIC BOOKS APPEAL TO ART LOVERS AND PROFIT MAKERS

Comic books are no longer just for kids.

The new incarnations of both Batman and Superman have renewed interest in comic books for people of all ages.

"Most of my clientele are older than college age," said T. Johnson, owner of Third Planet Books and Records.

Johnson said that most adults read comic books for enjoyment, while younger people have become speculators who buy comics to resell and make a profit.

David Freeman, manager of Nan's Games and Comics Too, agreed that there is a distinct division in the comic book market.

"A lot of people are buying them for entertainment and art, but a stronger part of the market is speculators," Freeman said.

"Speculators will buy 50 of one kind, and a collector wants one of everything."

Some comic books reach high prices. <I>Action Comics<P> issue 1, for example, is worth $100,000.

However, the average cost of modern comic books is only $2.

Adding to the renewed popularity of comic books are new titles from publishing companies Image, D.C. and Dark Horse.

Many comic book collectors are getting interested in D.C.'s new line Vertigo. Titles from this line, such as <I>Sandman<P> present a departure from D.C.'s standard superhero fare, featuring a surrealistic slant.

The first U.S. comic was <I>Yellow Kid<P>, published in 1895.

Today, the two biggest comic book producers are D.C. Comics, established in 1938 and Marvel Comics, established in 1963. "Comics didn't get really big until D.C. came around," Johnson said. There are now more than 900 different titles produced every month. <I>X-Men,<P> one of the more popular comic books, sells about a million books each month.

Schools are encouraging students to read comic books because of the technical and scientific vocabulary used in them, Johnson said.

Many schools are forming comic book clubs, while some teachers are taking students on field trips to comic book stores.

"Over four hundred kids showed up for a comic book club on the (club's) first day," Johnson said.

He added that the club was cancelled until it could be better organized.

Johnson said that he encourages speculators to actually read the comic books.

"(They have) spent all of this money on comics, (so they) might as well read them," he said.

Freeman said a successful comic book is one that has a good story line, production company and artwork.

"It is an evolving market, and it is getting a lot more graphic," Freeman said.

"The quality of printing and the quality of art keeps going up."

Several college-aged collectors agree that renewed interest in comic books stems from the recent attention given to graphics and story lines.

"I went with one of my friends, recently to a comic book store, and I noticed the artwork has gotten a lot better," said Chris Stelmak, a young collector of comic books.

"It used to be really uncool to collect comic books," Stelmak said. "Now a lot more people are collecting them, it seems."

Comic book speculators and collectors can find comics at these locations:

-- Third Planet Books and Record at 2439 Bissonnet. For information call 528-1067.

-- Nan's Games and Comics Too at 2011 Southwest Freeway. For information call 520-8700.

-- Bed Rock City Comic Company at 6521 Westheimer. For information call

780-0675.

-- Comic Images at 2711 Chimney Rock. For information call 960-8868.

-- Comics and Cards at 9439 Richmond. For information call 785-9636.

-- Phoenix Comics and Games at 3806 S. Shepherd. For information call 524-1150. Phoenix is also located at 1947 N. Gessner. That number is 464-1209.

BOSSES AND WORKERS GET NOWHERE IN FIGHT FOR PROFIT

Business could use some old-fashioned values

by John Pope

I would venture to say that we all seek financial security.

The type of financial security we desire can range from having the career aspirations of becoming a CEO of a mega-corporation to a salaried employee in search of earnings to support a few extra amenities for ourselves and families.

After all, we're not taking a four-year sabbatical just for the football games and registration lines.

However, today's financial security is more elusive than a greased pig on a rainy day.

Why is this?

Obviously, our standard of living has risen rapidly and immeasurably from the industrial era to the current information age.

What has not risen with equal velocity has been the realistic obtainment of the American Dream.

A conversation with our parents and elder successful business mentors would reveal terminology such as "commitment," "loyalty" and "integrity" to a company that they had worked for since they were knee high to a cornstalk.

Today, I would conjecture that we are more familiar with expressions such as "fast track," "credit limits" and "multiple degrees of education."

As Gordon Gecko said in the movie <I>Wall Street,<P> "Greed is good."

The prevailing relationship between employers and employees is more conflicting than collaborative. Indeed, it has become a true prize fight between big business and the worker.

In the red corner, we have Goliath, the company giant adorned in splendors of bureaucracy and minority quotas.

He has undergone right-sizing, left-sizing and down-sizing in the face of severe market competition so he can answer the bell with a bottom line profit.

In the blue corner we have David, the meager employee with only a few small pebbles in which to smite his adversary.

He hurls his experience, education and willingness, but to no avail.

The mighty corporate battle has no victors.

Goliath refuses to make an investment in David because, while he is becoming leaner and meaner, Goliath believes that David has no sustained usefulness to the organization.

Meanwhile, David, who is trying to achieve the American Dream, realizes that he is just a temporary pawn in a contested chess match.

Thus, he has no intention of a lifetime of loyalty to the company.

Invariably, David bounces through six different jobs before he is 30 years old during which time the annual price of a slingshot increases by 6 cents while his annual salary rises only by 3 cents.

Intuitively, there are several other factors inhibiting David's realization of the American Dream.

Not the least of which are economic, social and regulatory in nature.

Of course, I would not expect that we could or should return to the day when family and career were synonymous.

Nevertheless, both fighters could take a page from the old-fashioned handbook of values.

Commitment, loyalty and integrity should be mutual terms with shared meaning by both the employee and the employer.

John Pope is a senior marketing major.

KLINGLER DOUBTFUL FOR TEXAS

CLEMENTS MAY START, COACH SAYS

Houston head coach Kim Helton announced that backup quarterback Chuck Clements would start against the Texas Longhorns Thursday if Jimmy Klingler is not healthy.

Klingler suffered a bruised shoulder and injured a rib in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 28-10 loss in Fort Worth against Texas Christian.

Clements replaced him and finished the game 9-of-21 passing for 106 yards and one interception.

Earlier in the season, Clements subbed for Klingler while he was recovering from a sprained ankle he received in the first half of the Tulsa game.

Clements, a redshirt freshman, got his first collegiate start two weeks later against Michigan and went 25-of-40 for 276 yards and two touchdowns in a 42-21 loss.

His numbers on the season: 53-of-97 for 541 yards, three touchdowns and four interceptions.

The Longhorns enter the game, which will be nationally televised by ESPN, with a 2-4-1 record overall and 2-1 in the Southwest Conference.

Houston faces the 7 p.m. kickoff at 1-5-1 overall and 1-2-1 in the SWC.

COACH BROOKS OPTIMISTIC ABOUT SEASON

The Alvin Brooks era has officially begun.

Members of the Houston Cougars basketball team, new and old, began their pre-season workouts as new head coach Alvin Brooks had his players at practice bright and early Saturday morning.

And like most teams of the past, the Cougars are once again expected to contend for the Southwest Conference title this season.

After a successful 21-9 campaign in 1992-93, Houston is in a position to build on those fortunes with both their returning experience and some new and able talent on the squad.

"We have a lot of great athletes on this team," Brooks said. "And our depth will give us the opportunity to compete with anyone on our schedule."

The Cougars' schedule has more formidable competition is in store for the Cougars this year as dates with UCLA, DePaul, Long Beach State and Iowa pack Houston's non-conference schedule.

"This is the toughest schedule that a Houston team has had to play in the last ten years," Brooks said.

Looking forward to be equally tough are returning starters Anthony Goldwire and Jessie Drain.

Both return from impressive seasons in which the Cougars were one victory away from reaching the NCAA Tournament in March.

Junior small forward Drain averaged 10.8 points a game and was second on the team in three-pointers made last year.

"My confidence level is pretty high for this year," Drain said. "I know it's going to be my job to help this team win as much as I possibly can."

Goldwire averaged 14.2 points and 5.7 assists as a point guard on his way to SWC Newcomer of the Year honors.

But at the moment, he is being slowed because of an Achilles injury. Brooks, however, says that the dilemma is not serious and that Goldwire's status is day to day.

"He'll be okay," he says. "He'll probably start practicing on Wednesday."

The Cougars were also looking forward to the much-awaited return of senior guard Tyrone Evans. But because of an injury sustained last season that never really healed up, Brooks says that Evans will be out until at least January.

"The doctors are going to take a look at him (this week)," said Brooks referring to the surgery Evans underwent Tuesday. "But he is going to miss time and he will definitely be missed around here as well."

Evans missed virtually all of last season after suffering a foot injury in Houston's third game against the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Among those hoping not to miss any time this season are Houston's new line of recruits.

The newcomers are led by freshman standout Willie Byrd who received some high school All-American honors during his senior season at Houston's Reagan High School.

The 6-5 175-pounder averaged 19.1 points and 10.1 rebounds last season as he was one of the top recruits in Texas.

"It's hard right now (though)," Byrd says. "It feels just like boot camp."

"We're getting him ready," Brooks assures. "He's just not used to the hard workouts."

Other standout newcomers include junior transfer Hershel Wafer and freshman Curley Johnson.

Recruiting procedures made some off season news as rumors surfaced that Houston recruit Washington High School center Adrian Taylor is under investigation by the University Interscholastic League for his relationship with John Urey of Houston Superstars Foundation.

Brooks, however, has denied any such relations to Urey and says the program is under no such investigation.

"There is (no investigation taking place) whatsoever," Brooks said.

TAKING FLIGHT

YOUNG OWLS TAKE ON COUGARS IN VOLLEYBALL MATCH

by Michelle Morgan

Crosstown rival Rice meets Houston at Hofheinz tonight in the final Southwest Conference match against each other this season.

Both teams have had their share of problems, and both share the dreaded label of being the youngest teams in the SWC.

"We're a young team, and we've only been working together since August 11," said Rice head coach Henry Chen. "But the team has come out and done everything we've asked. That's all we can expect of them."

The Owls' overall record is 11-13, and they have yet to win a SWC game.

"The team plays with a lot of determination and are playing strong right now. Our losses are only by a few points," Chen said.

Rice recently played Northeast Louisiana defeating them in three, 15-6, 16-14 and 15-6.

They averaged 14 kills throughout the game with Darcy Cruikshank and Terri Loewenthal leading the way.

Against Florida State (Sept. 18) the team was only averaging 1.7 passes in three out of six rotations. They consequently lost, 11-15, 9-15 and 2-15.

Since then they've improved their passing percentage with each game. Against Texas Tech their passing percentage was 2.1, and against Oklahoma it was 2.09.

The team was averaging 16 digs per game at the beginning of the season and are now averaging 19.

"If we can improve any aspect of our game, like our digs, that can only mean putting more points on the board," Bill Walton said.

They've also changed their defense so offensive tricks such as tips would stop hurting them.

The team has frequent meetings to discuss what's going on with the team on the court.

"We talk about going out and playing our style of volleyball, Cougar style. We decided we're going to play at our own tempo and not let another team dictate how we play. If we relax and have confidence we have a chance to win," Walton said.

Another area of improvement is the team's hitting. Sami Sawyer is the starting setter, and Walton feels the team is more comfortable now that they have a definite setter.

The team's intangible roles have steadied out, he said, and everyone knows what's expected of them.

"They're able to come off the bench and play well. They aren't so uptight about having a different role," Walton said.

Houston has had a string of four victories against Texas Tech, which was a SWC game, Oklahoma, Arkansas-Little Rock and Louisiana Tech.

Although Walton is confident, he doesn't want to overlook Rice.

"They're probably really hungry to win one, and being cross-town rivals I'm sure they'd like to make Houston the sacrificial lamb," Walton said.

Although Rice does have former Cougar Latisha Brown on their side, Walton doesn't feel Rice will have an advantage.

"I think if we were returning with old players Rice might have an advantage," Walton said. "She (Brown) might have an idea of what we're trying to do, but it's a new team and things have changed."

TRIPLE THREATS TOP TODAY'S TELEVISIONS

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Video Feast

For centuries, artists have often felt the need to do their work in a series of three.

The series is known as the trilogy.

This ancient art form was revived by Hollywood when it discovered that if a film can hit once, why can't it hit two more times?

Unfortunately, more often than not this process has produced such underwhelming results as <I>six<P> <I>Police Academy<P> films. And one <I>Back to the Future<P> was good enough to last me a lifetime. After seeing both sequels, my belief was confirmed.

Such is a tragic case of sequel overkill, but it is not alone.

So now I present to you this week's film festival: "The Best of the Three." I have listed below the best films of their four respective trilogies restricted to films made since 1970.

Realizing I am committing a mortal sin unto myself, the first film I choose is <I>The Empire Strikes Back<P>.

Without a doubt, this is the best made and written film of the <I>Star Wars<P> trilogy.

I say this knowing full well that <I>Star Wars<P>, the first film of the series, appears on my all-time best list at No. 3, while <I>Empire<P> fails to even make this highly coveted list.

But this high ranking for <I>Star Wars<P> is out of respect for what it accomplished at its time with the technology available to it.

Although the success of its predecessor allowed for the high quality of <I>Empire<P>, I see no reason to deny it the respect it deserves. However, if you're a purist like me, it's impossible to watch one of these films without then watching the others anyway.

Next up is the futuristic thriller <I>The Road Warrior<P>.

This is the second film in the <I>Mad Max<P> trilogy and the most visionary of the three. Despite the obvious distractions that introducing Mel Gibson to millions of American women had on millions of American men, these films are notable for pointing out both the dangers of nuclear war and the dangers of our ever-growing dependence on an ever-dwindling supply of energy.

You can't discuss trilogies until you discuss Francis Ford Coppola's <I>Godfather<P> trilogy. The first film is the best of these three and therefore finds its way onto our festival list.

Marlon Brando gives what turned out to be the last really good performance of his storied career and deservedly won the Oscar for best lead performance.

Also notable in the sprawling saga of the Corleone Family are the performances of such heavyweights as Robert Duvall, James Caan and especially Al Pacino. Although this list restricts me to only one film, I would highly recommend that you view at least "Part II" as well. "Part III" is optional.

Lastly I choose to go with <I>Raiders of the Lost Ark<P>.

The first film of the Indiana Jones trilogy is a wild race across three continents with "good" battling "evil" all the way. This film contains the best example of Steven Spielberg's breakneck pace to date (including <I>Jurassic Park<P>) as well as an incredible performance by Harrison Ford in the lead role.

Neither sequel ever measured up to the first, but they're enjoyable if you have the time.

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student in history and government.

GUITAR CLASSIC

by Manuel Esparza

Often words get in the way, either they fade into the background like a tv set on a station that went off the air or words become an obstacle in the pursuit of tranquility.

Ray Lynch has no problems with words; his works don't use any, not that it would need to.<I>Nothing Above My Shoulders But The Evening<P> , Lynch's follow up to his million seller<I>No Blue Thing<P>, conveys somuch more than any lyric could ever add.

As a classical guitarist, Lynch is highly regarded. He has sold more albums than lower Westheimer has potholes. He began to learn piano playing when he was five. At 12, he picked up the guitar, inspired by a recording that moved him very deeply.

In order to satisfy a degree requirement, Lynch learned the lute. Lynch's music conveys the not just the technical expertise he has, but also his understanding of the aesthetics of each one.

Using the same care that a botanist would use with an orchid, Lynch makes these instruments respond much as an orchid does to a botanists caring touch.

His instrumental diversity equals his ability as a composer. His pieces have been performed by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and members of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra often sit in on recording sessions.

Lynch branched into composing as part of a musician's natural progression drawing on 600 years of Western musical heritage, often combining styles that are centuries apart chronologically but are stylistic siblings.

Much of Lynch's music has a Spanish Renniascance feel without any of the Inquisitional overtones. He studied in Spain for three years under the tutelage of Eduardo Sainz de la Maza. The Iberian atmosphere of the guitar work is reflected in the cleanliness of execution.

Playing without electronic assistance, Lynch radiates a purity that no micro chip can match. His picking and string bending are energetic and strong yet the guitar remains firmly under his control, unlike so many of today's six string wizards who play with audio chaos.

Yet Lynch's work would not be complete if it weren't for the caliber of the accompanists, from the well regarded San Francisco Symphony.

The elegant but uncomplex pieces task the musicians to concentrate on work that is easy to learn but difficult to master as an Olympic diver performs a backdive.