RICE'S WALDRON EXLIPSED BYA FULL DENOON AS SPIKERS WIN 3-0

The Rice Owls volleyball team received a Denoon awakening Wednesday night as the Lady Cougars paced themselves to their fifth straight win with a three-game sweep.

The Owls lost all mental concentration after Houston hitter Lilly Denoon used her rocket of a right hand to intimidate them and complete a season sweep of Rice with the 15-5, 15-1 and 15-8 victory.

Houston improves to 12-13 (5-4 Southwest Conference) and Rice drops to 11-14 (0-9).

"All year we’ve talked about developing our style of volleyball, the Cougar style of volleyball," said head coach Bill Walton. "We really seem to have found what that is."

Rice would probably agree.

The Owls had communication problems all night and even missed setting the ball in the first game as all the Rice players stood around and watched it drop to the floor.

Sammy Waldron, who should easily become an All-Southwest Conference selection, was Rice’s lone bright spot as her power spike matched Denoon’s in speed and strength. She finished with eight kills, but had an uncharacteristic four service errors and a .148 hitting percentage.

"She tried to hit the ball with all the power she had, but we just got to her," said Denoon, who led all Cougars with eight kills and two solo blocks. "We shut her down with the blocking. It seemed like she couldn’t get around us but two or three times."

One person does not make a team as the Owls found out, finishing the match with a .000 hitting percentage and only two service aces to Houston’s 11.

After being slaughtered the first two games, Rice regrouped in the third to close a 7-2 gap to 9-8, but Beth St. Ana countered with a vengeful spike that sent the Cougars to six straight points and the match.

But while Denoon held Waldron in check most of the evening, junior Carla Maul, who stands at a scrappy 5-foot-7, was looking like the Most Valuable Player.

She led the team with four aces, was second with six kills and added a solo block.

"We were facing a team that had nothing to lose," Walton said. "We said we had to make sure in the first game that we set the tone for the whole match.

"Towards the end they tried too hard but that was because of what was happening early."

*******************************************************

THEFTS TOP THIS WEEK'S CRIMES ON CAMPUS

A routine audit in the Athletic Department's ticket office led to the indictment of a UH employee.

The audit, which was conducted in October, revealed that $766 was missing from the ticket office.

The district attorney's office accepted the evidence and then notified UH it would indict and charge Francis Franco with the third-degree felony of official misconduct for misapplication of funds under her control.

Franco posted a $2,000 "no arrest bond." This type of bond is posted when a person is notified of an arrest warrant and goes to the jail to post bond to prevent being arrested.

Franco was suspended from UH with pay and currently awaits her arraignment hearing on Nov. 11 in Harris County Court.

Athletic Department sources declined to comment because Franco's case is pending litigation.

***************************

***************************

Other campus crime:

• A student reported the theft of his unattended, unsecured cellular phone from M.D. Anderson Library.

• A student reported the theft of her unattended purse from the Bates Law Building.

• An employee in the Moody Tower's Cafeteria was terminated for trying to steal various food items. No charges were pressed.

• A student reported having the windshield and passenger door window of his car shattered by an unknown person in Lot 1A.

PROFS EXPLORE ALTERNATIVES TO GRADES

For students who are discouraged by letter and number grades, some professors are discussing new forms of evaluation.

Professor of Education Jerome Freiberg said education should be a "living, learning process" and that some students do not learn from their past work when they are evaluated by a simple letter grade.

Professors and corporate professionals gathered Tuesday at the Scholarship and Community Conference to discuss new ways of grading and assessing students.

The session, called "Teachers, Testing, Carrots, Whips," was chaired by Associate Professor of Art Angela Patton.

All the participants agreed that alternative forms of grading could help students learn in more effective ways.

Freiberg said students are "short-changed" when they are evaluated in the "same old way." He believes his students learn best by evaluating themselves.

Freiberg requires his students to do self-evaluations once in the beginning of the semester and then again at the end of the semester. Freiberg said students who can evaluate themselves know what they are supposed to have learned and how well they as an individual took to the work.

Professor of English George Trail, who is largely responsible for creating English 1304, has his students rewrite every paper they are handed back. The student's final grade is based on a file that includes papers from the entire semester and that shows the student's progress rate.

Trail said some students get F's all the way through the semester, but get an A in the class if they do well on the last two papers. He said they learn to "continually build through to the next paper."

Suzanne Sutherland, director of humanities for HISD, spends her time creating new ways of academic evaluation for students.

Sutherland works with Primary Progress Reports, which grades elementary students every nine weeks on a progress chart. Progress is judged by developmental stages such as discovery, exploration, expansion, connection, independence and application.

Teachers can judge students according to their developmental progress and then report to their parents. Sutherland said parents do not understand their children's weak spots by looking at a number or letter grade.

Diane Dudley, vice president and chief personnel officer for Maxxam Inc., said students are coming into the corporate world unprepared. She said they must learn how to work in teams and be evaluated in the work place. "People think that if they have all three degrees they will be all right. That is just not true. The learning process does not stop," she said.

UNDERGRADUATE COUNCIL APPROVES NEW COURSES, CHANGES

by Tammy Gamble

When students register for spring classes, they may find a few new courses and a number of changes in familiar courses.

Twenty-six courses in English, foreign languages, theater, pharmacy, political science, sociology, philosophy and speech communications were approved by the Undergraduate Council Wednesday after requests were made for changes or additions from the different departments. Changes in courses ranged from increases in credit hours to changes of names and course descriptions.

Only one course, PHIL 3348 Philosophy and Evolution, was tabled for further discussion. The council decided to postpone their decision until they could meet with the professor teaching the course. Some members raised the question that no prerequisite in evolution was required before enrolling in the course. "We cannot be assured that students will get knowledge of evolution from high school biology courses," Rosalie Maddocks said.

The council also approved a departmental credit by examination option for Math 2311, Introduction to Statistical Analysis. Students will now be able to test out of the class.

The Core and Degree Requirements Committee is looking into a request to quit offering geography as a minor. The committee is also continuing to review core courses in economics and political science.

Although the Admissions, Advising and Retention Committee presented no recommendations on its agenda items, the committee continues to review the Associate Dean's Report on Retention. Committee members said they want to know what the status is of task forces assigned to look at various retention areas.

The committee is also discussing ways to use SAT scores separately for admissions purposes. Students would be required to receive a certain score on the verbal portion and the math portion instead of requiring an overall score.

The committee has unofficially agreed that students should not be able to include non-credit community college courses in transfer admission requirements and that all prospective students, including foreign students, be required to take the SAT or ACT for admission to the university.

SKIN SUFFUSION

It can be black, or vividly colored; large or small; hidden from public view or plainly visible. The indelible markings get under the skin.

And stay there.

Tattoos have become the bold fashion statement of the ‘90s. Not just for men, but women too are heading for the nearest tattoo parlor to alter their body for life. Whether it’s a butterfly, ship’s anchor, Playboy bunny or comely mermaid – tattoos are in.

However, not many people know tattoos have been an art form for millennia. Tattooing is believed to have been practiced by primitive man as early as the the Stone Age. Carved figures unearthed from European sites reveal that tattooing dates back to at least 8000 B.P. (before present) Egyptian mummies also exhibit signs of tattoos from 4000 B.P.

Ancient tribal customs in Australia, New Zealand and Africa have included disfiguration of the skin for identification, cosmetic and religious purposes. The designs were also associated with puberty and related rites of passage, such as marriage.

In prehistoric North America, tattooing was considered brave and valiant, but it also had religious and tribal significance. American Indians, who later became great attractions at fairs and circuses because of their tattoos, practiced the art in their cultures.

But in Europe tattooing had an entirely different connotation: tattooed people were considered barbarians. The Romans tattooed their slaves, captured enemies and criminals. A tattoo was considered a mark of low class or social rank.

Today, tattoos are a form of artistic expression both for the tattoo artist and his human canvas.

And Chris Johnston, a 25-year-old psychology major, is just that -- a human canvas. Sitting next to to him in class is always interesting, even entertaining. His legs, chest, back and arms – except his forearms – are covered in full-color tattoos.

"In November of 1988, I got a sobriety tattoo. I thought it looked cool and I ended up getting more. I guess I lost count after $7,000. I’ve gotten a lot of discounts, but I think for normal people, it would cost about $12,500 to $15,000 altogether," he said.

He said he has two general themes for his tattoos. One side represents addiction and evil, while the other represents good and is rooted in spiritual motifs. Johnston has a yinÚyang symbol on his back that summarizes the collective theme. "I got the sobriety tattoo because it represents death of addiction. That’s where it would have ended it if I didn’t get sober," he said.

He said his most controversial tattoos are depictions of women. "In one, there are two nude women kissing. That’s iffy for some people, and the other is a bee holding a woman."

Johnston said tattoos are painful if done in a bony area. "(The) pain is proportional to how much you want (the tattoo). When you’re drunk, it hurts more because you concentrate on the pain." He said he has spent up to seven hours on a single tattoo, with only a five-minute break. "Well, (the artist) wanted to get done and I wanted to get done."

Tattoos are first outlined and shaded in black. "The colors usually fade, but the black stays longer because it’s carbon (powder). If you use sunscreen, avoid the beach and wear protective clothing, they can still be in good shape for 15 years," Johnston said.

He advised people wanting a tattoo to wait until they are in their 20s because the body undergoes many changes, and those processes can ruin a tattoo. "You have to do your research. Find a person who has a tattoo. Pick a design you can live with all your life. I wouldn’t recommend Bart Simpson for a tattoo," he said.

Johnston claims UH is liberal when it comes to his tattoos. "Most people accept them, some compliment them, and a few give me ‘that look,’" he said.

A young woman applied one of his tattoos. It was done the old-fashioned way – with a sewing needle and a bottle of India ink. That hurt. However, he said he paid the highest price – in pain – for the tattoos on his kneecap, rib and ankle areas.

Johnston suggests that people who plan to lose weight do it before they get their tattoo because distortion can occur. Gaining weight can also ruin a design.

"About as many women get tattoos as men. Fidel, my tattoo artist, said it’s fun being on the other side of the needle (especially) with a nurse," he said.

However, Johnston said there are drawbacks to being a walking piece of art. "Sometimes people don’t treat me like a person. I am very conservative but people don’t believe that." One time at Agnes Arnold Hall, a man walked up to Johnston and began moving up his shorts, gazing at his tattoos without asking permission or uttering a syllable.

"People who are that rude are usually afraid. (Most) people that approach me are interested. A lot of older women, whose husbands have tattoos, approach me and ask questions."

Johnston's worst experience: Once an older man, who assumed he was gay – because of his tattoos, propositioned him. "That’s ludicrous. People who are gay would not appreciate that," he said.

Johnston recommends that anyone interested in getting a tattoo should call a reputable tattoo parlor a few days in advance and make an appointment. Most tattoo parlors open after noon. He added that artists take a dim view of a first-come-first-served attitude. "Any artist will appreciate it if you call ahead," Johnston said.

Tattoos will probably endure in the human social fabric for millennia to come. They will drift in and out of fashion. But one thing remains certain....

Tattoos are for life.

HOUSTON TAKES ON NEW ROLE AGAINST UT

COUGARS-AS-SPOILERS COULD THREATEN MACKOVIC'S FUTURE

For Texas Longhorns’ coach John Mackovic, a win against Houston tonight in the Astrodome could go a long way in quieting the wolves that are snapping at his heels.

But a loss to the 1-5-1 Cougars would most assuredly raise the snarls of Texas’ alumni to howls and begin a revolt in Austin, ending with Mackovic’s head on the proverbial pole.

At 2-4-1, Texas is one loss away from being eliminated from the bowl picture and guaranteeing itself a record below last year’s 6-5 mark.

In his second year as head coach, Mackovic, a veritable mastermind in turning sub-par programs around, has had a rough start, especially against ranked opponents.

He is 1-6-1 against Top 25 teams with Texas. The lone win was a convincing 34-24 rout of No. 16 Oklahoma in 1992.

This year, the Sooners, No. 10 at the time, ended four years of Longhorn domination in a 38-10 victory that set the burnt-orange grumblings ablaze.

And last Saturday’s 31-22 loss to Texas Tech in Austin served only to fan the flames.

If Houston, despite all its injuries, somehow manages to knock off the Longhorns in front of a national ESPN audience, Mackovic could be in for a rough time with three years still remaining on his contract.

The Longhorns have been a hard team to figure out at times. They have an exceptional quarterback in redshirt freshman Shea Morenz.

As a senior at San Angelo Central, he was one of the most coveted quarterbacks in the nation, passing for 3,463 yards and 41 touchdowns. He missed playing in all but two of UT’s games last season after tearing ligaments in his right ankle during a campus party.

Morenz has started every game this year but has been prone to throwing the pick – a very freshman mistake. He has only nine touchdowns with 11 interceptions, two of which led to Tech TDs last week after the Red Raiders were clinging to a slight 17-14 advantage.

Senior running back Phil Brown, who three years ago was being called the next Earl Campbell for his ability to drive defenders backwards with leg power, has carried a large bulk of the Longhorn offense.

He has rushed 73 times for 456 yards and five touchdowns and has 25 catches for 215 yards. But he has faltered in recent weeks, most notably a paltry 39-yard effort on 10 rushing attempts against the Raiders.

Rodrick Walker should get most of the carries in the Dome after his 88-yard, one touchdown performance last week.

But Texas’ offense has been sputtering, and the Longhorn defense has failed to step up. UT ranks 92nd in the nation in scoring defense out of 106 teams.

Unfortunately, Houston hasn’t fared much better, ranking 96th. The probability for a high-scoring match is there.

In six of the last seven meetings between the two teams, at least one team has scored more than 600 yards of offense.

Chuck Clements, a redshirt freshman, will be the probable starter for Houston because Jimmy Klingler is recovering from a bruised shoulder and an injured rib. But Klingler could see some action and coach Kim Helton said he won’t make a decision until just before kickoff.

Clements has proven himself to be a capable starter after a stand-up performance at Michigan, and Mackovic, for his sake, can only hope Clements has an off-day.

BUTTERFLY TAKES OFF

It’s the tale of many oriental women who, after WWII, spent their whole lives waiting for their American husbands who never returned.

Last Friday, the Houston Grand Opera presented talent from around the world to perform <I>Madame Butterfly<P>.

Conductor Vjekoslav Sutej directed the orchestra in the lovely music of <I>Madame Butterfly<P>. The power and emotions came through in the music as Sutej masterfully conducted the singers and musicians.

Siberian star Galina Gorochakova played the lead role of Madame Butterfly. Her strong, yet majestic, voice created musical beauty for the opera. However, her emotional range was lacking and the audience had to squeeze those tears out on their own.

Italian Fabio Armiliato played the American two-timer, Lt. B. F. Pinkerton. His emotions shone through far better than those of Gorochakova. Unfortunately, this potential tenor was lacking in voice, compared to his co-star. It seemed, at times, that his voice was lost in the orchestration.

Annette Daniels, who played Butterfly’s servant Suzuki, gave an inspired performance. She could not have been better cast. Her vocal artistry and emotional sensitivity were clearly in evidence as she struggled in vain to make Butterfly happy.

Another superb performance came from Russian baritone Igor Morozov. He played Sharpless, the U.S. Consul at Nagasaki. It gives you pause to wonder if this guy was playing a role.

Power and depth of feeling fairly poured from Morozov. His deep, sonorous voice was in perfect harmony with the intelligent and all-knowing character he portrayed.

The set for <I>Madame Butterfly<P> was magical. No surprises here, because Harold Prince was the stage director. A small Japanese house with a beautiful yard and mountains in the background turns on wheels as the characters moved to the opposite side.

It clearly took time and effort to design such a set, but it succeeded wonderfully in creating a dream world in which everyone would secretly like to live.

<I>Madame Butterfly<P> is a must see for first-time opera goers. And the regulars will enjoy the new international talent being nurtured at the Houston Grand Opera.

REMAINS TO BE GREAT

A day has a life of its own – it expires, leaving no traces of its identity as it disintegrates into indigo folds of the night.

Except for the memories that linger.

In director James Ivory’s drama <I>Remains of the Day<P> a day is a time for birth and death – of lost chances, and of lost loves.

The latest film of Merchant Ivory productions – adapted from Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel – <I>Day<P> centers on Stevens (Anthony Hopkins), a butler who is the most assiduous servant of Darlington Hall, and his relationship with Miss Kenton (Emma Thompson), the housekeeper.

In this milieu of silver service polishing, Eton collars, and polo matches, service – for many of the lower class – is tied into an extreme sense of duty. Stevens has all the personality of a fish, and sacrifices a love life and other things considered necessary to human survival, in order to submit himself to his lord. Preparing for an international conference, he implores the staff to uphold the tradition of elegance, to remind guests they are "in England, where order and tradition still prevail."

Stevens, an introvert, constructs an impenetrable barrier to protect his heart from spikes of unbridled passion. He prefers to brood, secreted in his quarters, to drinking ale in the local pub. His space is enshrouded in sterility. He knows nothing of whim or mirth, and is an anomaly among servants who eat freely of fruit; the pulpy fruit of life.

One subplot of the film involves Stevens’ father’s quest to find a purpose in life and continue his career of service as a waiter, which spans 54 years. Scenes involving the butler and his father (Peter Vaughan) – who is hired as underbutler – reveal tension between the younger Stevens’ two selves: the self presented to the outside, and the less steely self buried under the facade.

As a web of intrigue and realpolitik is spun before his eyes, the butler asserts he is only there to make sure the French prime minister’s foot-soaking water is prepared and the place settings correctly laid. Like many stateside and in Europe, he is blind to the atrocities and diabolical nature of the Third Reich. He cares more about polishing apples than appeasement.

Lord Darlington, whose naivete (in trusting the Germans) eventually costs him his reputation, fires two Jewish staff girls because, in his opinion, the two are representative of the blight, the festering sore on Europe. Miss Kenton, often the voice of compassion, is the only staff member to oppose the move. The stoic butler simply follows his master, right or wrong.

The layered aspect of the film sets the stage for a bloody good denouement: the untying of knots involving country, Kenton’s and Stevens’ relationship, the hierarchy within Darlington Hall and Stevens’ life is handled masterfully within Ruth Prawer Jhabvala’s script.

Hopkins, a master of the askance gaze, makes Stevens a man caged by repression and hidden vulnerability. His character has lived in the split, the modern condition of self-alienation. Intensity should be his middle name. His character eventually drags the murky lake of his subconscious to find the remains of his relationship with her – Hopkins’s character travels the countryside to meet Miss Kenton again.

Thompson delivers an excellent performance as Miss Kenton. She has the mannerisms, facial expressions and dialogue down pat, and shows her versatility in both humorous and dramatic scenes. The two have perfect on-screen chemistry.

Ivory is clearly one of only a handful of directors who can ably direct a period piece.

<I>Day<P>, a film that poses the question of whether a man can right his past wrongs, is worth remembering.

ORGANIZATION SEEK TO EXPAND AIDS AWARENESS

by Elizabeth Gonzales

About 10 Houston social service organizations converged on UH recently in a concentrated effort to saturate the campus with HIV/AIDS prevention information as part of HIV/AIDS Awareness Week.

The week's activities started on Nov 1 and last through Nov. 7. The annual event is a cooperative effort of about a dozen student organizations and university departments.

"I think it's necessary to keep education rolling. If we stop trying to get the message across, the issue will stagnate," said Lilia Trevino, outreach specialist at Amigos Volunteers in Education and Services, Inc.

Ministries and groups representing the Mexican American, African American, heterosexual and teen population stressed the importance of education on issues dealing with HIV/AIDS.

These groups have been designated as high-risk, in part, because of the lack of education in their communities.

Trevino said in the Mexican American community, cultural and language barriers have stood in the way of education efforts.

The teen population does not have the proper sex education program implemented in high schools, and many practice unsafe sex because they feel they are invincible to HIV as well as other sexually transmitted diseases, said Laura Maxwell, a health educator the Baylor College of Medicine's Teen Health Clinic at Ben Taub.

John Foreman, an outreach worker and HIV counselor, said some high-risk activities transcend race and social lines.

"We have to bring out awareness that the heterosexual community is at risk also. We can't talk about drugs without talking about AIDS," Foreman said.

Foreman's organization, Over The Hill, Inc., provides detoxification programs and counseling to high risk adolescents and individuals abusing drugs.

He said he thinks many people within the heterosexual community feel they are not at risk. "A set of condoms has been sitting there for 30 minutes and no one is picking them up. People think because they come from different backgrounds they are insulated from this disease and are not going to get HIV/AIDS."

Literature was available containing information about contraceptives, safer sex practices, support programs and facilities that offer free testing. Condoms were also found at almost every table.

Rodney Seiler, a certified HIV counselor, said he thinks the heterosexual community has ignored education for too long on this issue.

"Immediately people assume someone with HIV is a drug user or they are gay. Worldwide, over 70 percent of HIV is through heterosexual transmission, which only means too many people walking around are not having safer sex or using condoms," he said.