MY LIFE AFFIRMING

by Karen Snelling

The claim to victory exists in many different forms.

In the movie <I>My Life<P>, writer and director Bruce Joel Rubin subtly shows how a man turns a defeat into merely a small price to pay for a much greater victory.

Michael Keaton plays Bob Jones, a man struggling against multiple cancerous tumors in his kidneys. On top of this discovery, he and his wife, played by Nicole Kidman, are expecting their first child.

When it rains it pours, and an ocean has been dumped on Bob. The doctors say Bob's cancer is terminal.

Yet, Bob is determined to prove them wrong. He tries various western treatments, and when they prove useless, he turns to a Chinese healer.

The healer tells Bob the tumors will go away once Bob releases his anger and finds peace of mind. That's a tough order for anyone, let alone a person dying from cancer.

Nevertheless, Bob, determined to beat his illness, finally lets go of some of his anger.

In return he finds love from a father who didn't have time to love him when he was young.

Bob is also determined to love his child. To ensure that he will always be with his child, Bob becomes one with a video camera and records everything he sees.

In these tapes, Bob talks with an openness that many parents never get around to sharing with their children.

For example, Bob relates what love feels like. He also conveys his fear of dying.

<I>My Life<P> doesn't just tell viewers that a positive outlook and strong will can overcome hardships. While supporting this general idea, the movie goes deeper by saying it's not always obvious when a person is victorious. Coming out on top depends on what a person gets out of a situation.

Bob might have struggled with cancer but he achieved a great deal more.

<I>My Life<P> has warm humor and many touching moments, but viewers should be warned. It is a tear-jerker and can temporarily rip your heart apart.

This movie will make you sad. But what will get viewers to like it is the comforting message that people can turn their apparent losses into victories.

*******************************************************

MESSAGE OF MINISTER SPARKS DEBATE, DIVISION

by Rivka Gewirtz and Tanya Eiserer

"College campuses are the devil's workshop," said Tom Carlisle, a preacher with Campus Ministries USA.

For more than six hours, Carlisle riled up a crowd of students Thursday outside the UC Satellite. He called for repentance during a nationwide campus tour during which he spreads the word of God.

Women sang hymns, some students mocked him, others cried, some laughed and some hugged; the reaction was diverse and to say the least, combustible.

Carlisle spoke out against everything from "premarital kissers" to homosexuals, feminists and "whore mongers."

Many of the students who were self-proclaimed Christians insisted that the preacher was inciting a "Bible war."

"We have Christians fighting each other. This is not what we need, we are having a Bible war," said Michelle Wilson, a senior in kinesiology.

Other Christians were upset because they said he was misusing the word of God.

"He is misinterpreting what's in the Bible. He is condemning people. God loves everyone, even if they are homosexual," said Christine Law, a journalism senior.

As Carlisle turned varrying shades of red and yelled the words of the Bible, Hare Krishnas handed out literature a few feet beyond him on the hill. Women stood in a semi-circle and sang "Oh Come, Let Us Adore Him." One girl sat on the ground with her head in her hands crying while a group of hecklers screamed "We're gay" and "What if I'm Jewish?" Some students quickly rushed away from the scene shaking their heads and calling it

the "Twilight Zone."

Carlisle emerged while "Condom Man" Burt Loeser, who works for the outreach program at the AIDS Foundation Houston, was answering students' questions on safe-sex outside the Satellite.

Carlisle angrily questioned Loeser on the "safe sex lie," egging him into admitting that abstinence is the best protection against contracting AIDS.

When Carlisle went back to preaching on Satellite Hill, students angrily yelled comments at him. Anthony Hubert rejected Carlisle's message by heckling him and pretending to save passers-by. "Everything he said has nothing to do with love. I hear things that come from the Bible. The things I hear are very no-oriented," he said.

One woman screamed "Fuck you, fuck your religion and fuck your reality!" as she passed by. Carlisle responded by ordering the "demon" out of her.

Vanessa Laroux, a junior in psychology, said Carlisle was faced with too much hostility to get his word across. "He is facing people with 12 years of concrete learning. People who think that if you can't measure it, it's not real," she said.

Zach Schiller, a senior in psychology, said the scene confused him.

"(Carlisle) can't even agree with this other guy and he is a Christian too. Any view besides his own is wrong, immoral and ungodly. Who am I supposed to believe?"

While UH is a diverse campus, people do not usually participate in heated moral discussions. Carlisle drew self-proclaimed feminists, homosexuals, Christians, agnostics, humanists, atheists and political activists into the debate.

People of diverse backgrounds expressed offense when Carlisle said women were designed only to find a "godly husband" and to produce as many children as they can.

Carlisle told his listeners that the college campus was teaching them evolution and science; the work of the devil.

Scott Garrison a liberal arts freshman responded; "Hell's got the best bands anyway."

DREAMS FOR UH REVEALED WITH FACULTY, STAFF

by Tiffany Vaughner

Faculty, students and administrators presented their wish lists for the UH of the future at the final session of the Third Annual Scholarship and Community Conference Wednesday.

Faculty Senate President George Reiter said the purpose of the conference is to expound on the dialogues started in the first two meetings. Reiter, who chaired the last session of the two-day conference, said the conferences were also set up to open up conversations about problems at UH and to begin to plan for the future.

Before turning the meeting over to discussion groups, Reiter asked participants to think about what they wanted from the university.

"What is your vision of what you would like to have happen in the future? What do you really care about; about education, about this institution, that you would like to preserve and enhance in the future?" Reiter asked.

One of the problems addressed was the lack of alumni support.

Oscar Gutierrez of the UH Systems Office said, "I've read the figures somewhere that we have graduated 150,000 students, and 70 percent of those stay in the Houston area. One thing that has always struck me is you don't see stickers on cars saying, 'I am an alumnus of the University of Houston.' I sense that people come through here, spend three or four years and leave and they don't have a pride for having been here. I would like to see a university where people say "My degree is from UH.'"

Wendy Adair, associate vice president for university relations, said, "My vision for this institution is two-fold. There's an external vision and an internal vision. The external vision is that we take on some of the aspects of our rhetoric about being a new paradigm for what universities are here for. The internal vision I have is that we reach across departmental bounds and lift our own community up so we don't end up more fragmented then we already are."

Faculty and students in attendance said they had similar desires for the future of UH.

UH French instructor Valentini Brady said, "Most of the students who come here are grade oriented, rather than learning oriented. I have often said that I would like to teach somewhere where there is no grading so that I can concentrate on sharing the knowledge I have, rather than being the person who evaluates them at the end of the semester. We can't get away from that as long as we have the grading system."

Lloyd Swenson, a UH history instructor, said, "My vision for the University of Houston is that it shall eventually become a true university. It's not that now. I would like to see an electro-corridor (electronic link-up) that links UH, Texas Southern University, Rice, Houston Baptist University and the University of St. Thomas, to become an intellectual hothouse with the Texas Medical Center in between."

Jean Kantambu Latting, an associate professor of social work, said she supported what the others had said but added that she thought the hierarchal structure of UH is the real problem. She said there is no real communication between faculty, administrators and students. "Secondly, we need to attack the grading system, attack performance appraisals system for faculty and staff and attack how we judge others."

UH graduate student Tom Baynum said, "We often think in terms of an institution serving the community, but I also think that the community can serve the institution. When we start to celebrate the community we find ourselves in, wether it is defined as economic ghetto or urban area, then I think we will really be a great university."

Reiter said although he was disappointed with the turnout by faculty members he was pleased with the level of discussion.

LONGHORNS STAMPED COUGARS

If the Cougars hoped to gain back some of the pride they lost this season, they will have to wait one more game.

In front of a national television audience and an Astrodome crowd of 26,163, the Texas Longhorns showed why they're the ones with bowl hopes and not the ones looking toward the national recruiting day in February.

Behind a 190-yard ground game and three rushing touchdowns, the Longhorns dashed the Cougars 34-16 to end a streak of three consecutive losses in the Astrodome.

Houston quarterback Chuck Clements, subbing for the injured Jimmy Klingler, finished a respectable 22-of-39 passing for 234 yards and a touchdown. But he was only 3-of-15 for 84 yards at halftime with Houston trailing 17-9.

"It doesn't matter to me how well we played," Clements said, after only his second collegiate start. "A loss is a loss. We've got seniors whose last time it will be to play Texas.

"When you don't win, it's very disappointing."

Houston stayed close most of the game and pulled to within 20-16 in the third quarter when Clements hit Keith Jack in the end zone on a six-yard pass on fourth down.

The defensive units stood their ground, forcing three punts from each team until Texas got the ball again at its 35 with 10:13 left in the game.

Longhorn quarterback Shea Morenz completed 3-of-4 passes on the drive, but the last one was the key play of the game.

On a third and one run play at the Houston 35, the Longhorns were called for a nine-yard holding penalty that pushed them back to the Houston 44.

On the ensuing play, Delmonico Montgomery rushed Morenz on a corner blitz and smothered him. Somehow Morenz was able to complete a 26-yard pass to Lovell Pinkney over the middle for first down. Two plays later, Rodrick Walker danced into the end zone for a 27-16 lead.

"That was the turning point of the game," said safety Donald Douglas. "We knew we had them right where we wanted them."

Houston was still in the game, but on its next play from scrimmage, defensive lineman Tony Brackens caused Clements to fumble the ball, which was recovered by linebacker Winfred Tubbs.

Texas took 45 seconds to close out the scoring as Walker ran in from 10 yards out for his second touchdown.

"I thought we had too many penalties called against us to be competitive," said head coach Kim Helton. "I allowed the officials to affect me. I'm disappointed in myself. It was not a very professional performance by me."

Helton also made some strange calls in the game, including calling for a fake field goal from 40 yards out and going for it on fourth and 11 from the Texas 40.

Houston did get its running game back on track. TiAndre Sanders led the team with 12 carries for 61 yards and a touchdown.

"We're still going to be ourselves and try hard," Sanders said.

VICTIMS OF ABUSE CAN FINDS HELP

by Lisa E. Ferro

There is no definite answer as to why family abuse happens. However, during National Domestic Violence Awareness month, in October, many tried to find a cure.

The Houston Area Women's Center and the Harris County Medical Society's Committee on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Prevention cosponsored events to educate health care providers and the public on the symptoms of domestic violence.

Last year alone, incidents of domestic violence in Texas involved an estimated 151,767 victims according to the <I>Texas Crime Report<P>, compiled annually by the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Records Division.

Of the victims whose sex was known, 19 percent were male and 81 percent were female. The age group with the highest number of victims was 20 to 24.

The Texas Council on Family Violence estimates that 1 in 8 students will encounter dating violence before graduating from high school.

Because there's no typical abused person profile, domestic violence extends beyond the lines of class, race, culture and age. Many victims are highly educated and married several years before abuse begins. They include over achievers as well as those with low self-esteem.

The basic question is "Why?" Why do we subject our daughters, sisters and friends to such violence? Why do certain men treat women so badly? Why does our society seemingly condone abuse?

"There are no easy answers to such a complex issue," said Patricia Giggans, executive director of the Los Angeles Commission on Assaults Against Women, one of the first rape crisis centers in the country.

Young adult domestic violence results partly from typical dating attitudes, Giggans said.

"Boys think their role is to control their girlfriends," said Caryn Ross, education coordinator for the Houston Area Women's Center. "It's a power play .... a continuation of their own problems."

Some research suggests that women may actually be more abusive in high school, but they quickly learn from community standards and media images that violence is not acceptable behavior for girls, although it is for boys, Ross said.

The Houston Area Women's Center in conjunction with the Harris County Medical Society is hoping to change harmful attitudes through ongoing awareness and education campaigns such as Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

"Educating doctors is a very important part of the process," said Dr. Diana Fite, Chairman of the Harris County Medical Society's Committee on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Prevention.

According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, approximately 1 million women seek medical treatment each year for domestic violence injuries, but doctors identify the injuries as resulting from battering only 4 percent of the time.

The Houston Area Women's Center is committed to teaching students to identify abuse warning signs, control behaviors and make healthy relationship choices.

Anyone in an abusive relationship can find help by calling the Houston Area Women's Center hot line at 528-2121.

COACHING DECISION

TRICH PLAYS FAIL TO HELP COUGARS SNEAK PAST LONGHORNS

With the number of tricks the Houston Cougars tried to sneak past the Texas Longhorns on Thursday night, one would have thought that the Halloween season was still upon us.

But unfortunately for Houston, however, its attempted tricks did not lead to many well-deserved treats.

In a game that had some gutsy play-calling by head coach Kim Helton, the Cougars managed to lose in convincing fashion to the 'Horns 34-16 before an ESPN national audience.

"It wasn't a good night coaching for me," said Helton. "We had (some calls go against us) and that really hurt our chances of winning the football game."

But the aggressive coaching became evident early in the second quarter. The Longhorns were leading the game 7-6 when Houston was driving for a possible go-ahead score.

At the Texas 35-yard line, the Cougars faced a fourth-and-six when quarterback Chuck Clements threw incomplete to receiver Julian Pitre.

Coach Helton elected to go for it.

Even after the Cougars faced fourth-and-11 following a delay of game penalty, Helton still kept his offense on the field.

It may have given Texas something to think about, but the move backfired as the Longhorns took over when Clements threw incomplete to Pitre once again.

"Coach Helton has confidence in whoever he puts on the field," said Clements. "And I'm all for it too."

But Helton's next gutsy call may have been the difference in the game.

On Houston's next drive the Cougars lined up for a Trace Craft 40-yard field goal attempt. Except Craft never put his foot on the ball.

Holder Clay Helton rolled out right with the fake and tried to find a receiver. But his pass to Demond James was short-hopped as Helton fell helplessly to the ground.

"I took a chance with the fake," Helton said. "But Texas played it extremely well."

The 'Horns also took advantage as they scored a touchdown on their very next series for a 14-6 advantage.

In the third quarter, however, one aggressive coaching call managed to go Houston's way.

Facing a fourth-and-goal from the Texas six, Helton and the Cougars elected to once again go for the conversion.

Clements took the snap, looked over the middle, and found Keith Jack who somehow managed to weave through the Longhorn coverage.

"I thought our players played extremely well," Helton said. "But (at those points), we just ran out of gas."