SWIMMINGLY

PHISH NEWEST RELEASE ATYPICALLY GOOD

by Tony Lanman

Phish is definitely the greatest band you've never heard of, and are the masters of alternative jazz.

<I>Junta<P>, originally recorded in 1988, was previously only available at Phish concerts but has been recently released to the public

Phish consists of Trey Anastasio on guitar (also the main music and lyric writer), Page McConnell on piano, Mike Gordon on Bass, and Jon Fishman on drums.

There's also the Dude of Life who helps out on lyric writing as well.

Phish is not your typical college band or your typical anything band. The vocal delivery is similar to Irish folk music without the accent. It's also taken a step further with Phish's vocal harmonies that conjure up images of Simon and Garfunkel being genetically spliced with Bob Dylan.

Phish also have a tie to unusual song-writing themes. Some songs will be long, picturesque stories such as "Fee" or "Esther" and other songs will have just a few words throughout the whole thing such as "Dinner and a Movie" and "David Bowie."

As far as the music goes, these are some of the best musicians in a while.

Trey Anastasio explores every type of chord known to man. He usually uses a clean tone electric but sometimes uses a clean distortion for soloing. He's one of the best guitarists, but he doesn't flaunt it.

Anastasio's more concerned with the music than he is with showing how fast he can play or how good he thinks he is. He utilizes quirky rhythms and interesting melodic patterns that don't sound like he's just running up and down scales.

The interplay between the guitar and piano is something you have to hear to appreciate.

This is one of the main constituents of Phish's unique sound. Page McConnell is not just playing sustained chords that you hear in so much of today's popular music. He's all over the keyboard, like Mozart meets jazz pumped full of speed.

Fishman's drumming is just as incredible as the rest of them. Imagine if Bill Bruford and Neil Peart somehow had a baby. Scary, isn't it? Mike Gordon's bass lines are just as they should be, keeping a tight rhythm, and not straying to simply show off. Although he does get to showcase himself on "Contact", which he wrote.

You can listen to this album numerous times and always catch something that you missed in previous listenings.

The whole album clocks in at over 84 minutes, and there are three bonus tracks on the CD which make that format even longer.

The songs are not simple three and a half minute, four-by-four time attempts at being a hit. They constantly change time signature, tempo, and feel, and many break the 10-minute barrier.

At times you feel like there's a cathartic force building in your body from the energy and at other times you feel like you're living in a Peanuts cartoon.

*******************************************************

ATHLETICS HAS JOB OPENING

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Athletic Director Bill Carr stressed the need to hire someone to improve the graduation rate of student athletes Monday at the University Planning and Policy Committee meeting.

Carr said he will be appointing an associate athletic director to oversee all procedures and policies of the Athletic Department to develop plans for student athletes’ success.

Carr added that he is looking for someone with strong academic credentials to fill the position.

A study released by the NCAA of 291 division I schools for freshman entering in 1983-84 and 1984-85 indicated that 16 percent of student athletes earned a degree within six years.

"Our graduation numbers are embarrassingly low. Our message is going to be '(students) are here to get a degree,'" Carr said.

His announcement of the position led some faculty members to raise questions. Ernst Leiss of the Faculty Issues Committee, said a person with an academic background would serve better for such a position.

"You can’t just get somebody in without any discussion. Who determines about who is the ideal candidate?" Leiss said.

Leiss also said that a degree plan should be developed for student athletes.

Carr said he decided the candidates’ qualifications after the subject was discussed in the president’s office.

Carr said that the Athletic Department has been advertising for the associate athletic director position that will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is found.

CO-OP PROGRAMS KEY TO FUTURE CAREERS

by Charlotte Pennye

Four grueling years and 130 credit hours later, that sensational college resumé could still have one crucial flaw: real world experience.

The UH Cooperative Education Program exists to remedy that singular predicament.

The program puts together soon-to-be graduates and local businesses so that both can benefit. Students acquire valuable experience in specific industries and earn a salary to boot. Prospective employers are able to evaluate student recruits by their specific requirements under everyday circumstances.

The Cooperative Education Program was founded in 1906 at the University of Cincinnati. Since then more than 900 universities have implemented co-op programs throughout the United States. Last year, 250,000 students participated in the program nationwide, with each student receiving an average salary of $7,500.

The Cooperative Education Program began at UH in 1959, and is headquartered in the College of Engineering. While every major college is represented, the majority of positions are for engineering, natural science and technology majors.

Jerry Davenport, director for the Cooperative Education Program at UH, said: "The biggest misconception about the program is that students think it's only for engineering majors. We have placed students majoring in computer science, hotel and restaurant management, music and drama. They have worked at places such as The Houston Ballet, Walt Disney World, Dow, NASA, and the U.S. Customs Department."

Most co-op positions are offered on a full-time, alternating basis where two students fill each position. While one student works full-time, the other student attends school full-time. They trade places each semester. A few parallel co-op positions are available throughout the year when both students prefer to work part-time.

Mary Hennessy, a senior mechanical engineering major who participated in the program for four semesters, said: "The co-op program is a good way to look (over) employers without (a lot of) pressure. Students should use the opportunity to observe and learn as much as they can and use (the experience) to their advantage. This program gives students a (decided advantage) before going out into the working world."

Among the advantages participants enjoy are having the option to explore career opportunities before graduation, associating with professionals in a chosen field, supplementing their income for college expenses and obtaining bonafide proof of experience for inclusion on their transcripts.

"Companies also reap the benefits of the program because it cuts their recruiting and training costs. If companies have been training a co-op student, they do not have to go and search for someone," Davenport said.

Requirements for the program include a minimum 2.25 GPA and classification as a sophomore or junior or at least 40 credit hours left before graduation.

STUDENTS' COMPLAINTS GO UNHEARD

Students can now voice their concerns about UH in town hall meetings, instead of relying entirely on their senators to represent them.

A bill that has been sitting in committee for six months requiring SA senators to hold monthly town hall meetings was passed at Monday night's meeting.

The bill requires each college to have two meetings per month so that students can express their concerns to the their senate representatives. Colleges with one senator will have only one meeting per month.

The meetings will be two hours long and will be held in the form of town hall conferences or informal information tables set up in a central point of the college's building.

Director of Public Relations Angie Milner says that students have been complaining that senators do not know the needs of their constituents.

Senator of Optometry Mark Wiedenfeld objected to the bill saying, "My constituents already see me. They don't have two hours to waste."

The bill's sponsor, Greg Propes responded to the argument by saying that the length of the meetings was decided so students with busy schedules could "pop-in" and express their concerns, then leave.

While some senators complained about the meetings taking up too much of their time, Propes stressed that senators were not truly dedicated if they could not donate at least two hours a month to their jobs.

SA President Jason Fuller is supportive of the bill. He said senators should have no problem holding the meetings. "It is up to each senator's discretion how they want to carry it (the town hall meeting) out," he said. Senators in colleges that already hold town hall meetings can substitute their own conference by participating in the college's.

The meetings will be part of SA's required attendance. Excessive absences in senate meetings and town hall conferences could lead to the expulsion of a senator.

NAFTA SPELLS TROUBLE FOR GRADS

by Rosalind Coronado

The controversy surrounding the North American Free Trade Agreement spilled over to UH during a recent debate about NAFTA’s impact on the United States.

The UH chapter of United We Stand America sponsored the debate. Proponents and opponents of NAFTA squared off at the UH Law Center.

The UH debate focussed on the potentially negative environmental effects, the displacement and retraining of American workers and the long- and short-term effects on the U.S. Should NAFTA be approved by Congress, trade barriers will be dropped between the three nations.

Despite Mexico’s environmental laws, NAFTA supporters say the laws are broken by U.S. companies.

"We (companies from the United States) messed (Mexico) up, so we should clean it up. Mexico does not have the money to do so," said David Smith, a pro-NAFTA panelist. Smith is a private economic consultant who lectures on NAFTA.

The displacement and retraining of American workers was also discussed. Pro-NAFTA panelists maintained that the agreement would create higher-paying jobs for Americans and that retraining U.S workers is a viable option.

"To retrain employees for a job is ridiculous. Eighty percent of the workers who do retrain never make the wages of their past jobs," said Ravi Batra, professor of economics at Southern Methodist University.

After the debate, the panelists talked about how NAFTA would affect college students entering the competitive job market.

"Should NAFTA pass, graduates could consider a job at Kmart or Wal—Mart good. Granted, good pay will be anything from five twenty-five to eight dollars an hour," said Batra.

Smith said, "When NAFTA passes, it means that graduates will not have to work in factories. The high-paying jobs will be in those fields that are hard to automate."

Those jobs will be in entertainment, tourism, fashion, medicine, distribution operations, finance, information technologies and computer software.

The panelists then confronted NAFTA’s long- and short-term effects.

"Failure to pass NAFTA will hamper international competition. Japan is organizing Asia, the Europeans are organizing Eastern Europe, and if the United States wants to stay in the game, then we’re going to have to organize the South American continent, to the extent that we can do so with collaboration of our neighbors to the south," said Smith.

Pat Choate, an economics professor at the University of Oklahoma said, "We have a rare, failed example of NAFTA. It’s called Canada. Canada has lost 25 percent of its manufacturing base and 300,000 jobs. The same thing will happen to the United States."

A national debate is scheduled for Tuesday evening between Ross Perot and Vice-President Al Gore.

MEMORIAL QUILT COMES TO CAMPUS

A patchwork of memories decorated the floor and walls of the Cougar Den Thursday in observance of HIV/ AIDS Awareness Week.

The 23 quilt panels displayed were a part of the NAMES Project Memorial. The panels are used as a memorial to the 194,334 people who have died of the HIV virus.

The memorial project was created in 1985 in San Francisco. An observer watched as friends taped the names of people who had died of AIDS onto a wall. As the papers fell off of the wall, he decided to make a more permanent tribute to AIDS victims.

Jeff Ridings, a volunteer with the Houston based NAMES project, has seen the response of the quilts grow over the years.

"The quilts are made to not only make a statement about the AIDS disease, but to also show that these were real people that had families, loved ones and jobs," Ridings said.

All of the panels are 3 feet wide and 6 feet long, the size of an average grave. The quilts are adorned with items such as buttons, condoms and pictures.

An estimated 120 people passed through the exhibit on Thursday.

"When people come through here or any of our other shows, they don't think that they will be affected by this," Ridings said. "When people leave, they are in tears, because they are so overwhelmed with emotion."

Among the quilts on exhibit was one for a 1-year-old girl that died in April and one for a father of two children who died in 1989.

Rita O'Sullivan, a postbaccalaureate with a secondary degree in biology, is also an AIDS nurse and she witnesses first-hand the struggle her patients have with the virus.

"I work with these people and this is a wonderful way to raise awareness for this disease as well as giving a show of support for the families they leave behind," said O'Sullivan . "This is not only for the patients but for the ones they left behind."

HONORS COLLEGE WANTS VOTE IN STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION

STUDENTS DECIDE NEXT SPRING IF COLLEGE JOINS SA

by Thomas Hewett

The recently organized UH Honors College may secure its own voice at Students' Association (SA) meetings next spring.

Representatives from the Honors College would like to have their own senator present to vote on issues addressed at the SA meetings, said Justin McMurtry, chairperson of the committee on university administration and finance and SA student senator from the College of HFAC.

"The Honors College has expressed, through a referendum, that they want representation," McMurtry said. "I wrote a proposed amendment to the SA Constitution giving them their senator."

SA senators and UH students will vote on whether or not to allow the Honors College to have their own senator sometime next March, said Jason Fuller, SA president.

Currently, 33 student senators represent various academic colleges and departments at SA meetings.

"Allowing (the Honors College) to have their own vote would give credibility and validity to them," Fuller said.

"It would also recognize the importance of the Honors College as a separate college."

"There's a lot of issues affecting the Honors College," Fuller added.

The Honors College, formerly the Honors Program, officially became an academic college last spring.

The Honors Program has never requested SA representation until this year, Fuller said. "I really don't know why."

"Maybe (the Honors Program) was just loosely organized," he said.

Fuller said there wasn't any opposition to allowing the Honors College to have a student senator.

"We've already got the groundwork set," he said.

"We're just looking at the logistics of whether or not we should have (a new senator)."

In other SA activities, senators will be attending an education conference at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi this weekend.

The SA, which celebrates its 30th anniversary this month, is working on renovating the Lynn Eusan Park.

"We are trying to improve campus life," Fuller said.

"(The SA at UH) is one of the most effective in the state and, without question, the best at addressing student concerns with the administration."

Fuller said the SA regularly visits legislators in Austin to express concerns from the UH community.

"We are basically the official voice of the students," he said.

SA holds open campus meetings on alternating Mondays beginning at 7 p.m. at the University Center. The next meeting is Nov. 22.

MACKOVIC STIRS PEPPER INTO ALREADY SPICY RIVALRY

With three games still left on the schedule, it may seem trite to begin looking toward next year.

But some of the players and head coach Kim Helton have indicated that 1994's matchup with the Texas Longhorns will be one of the more exciting games to watch.

How are they able to predict this?

Travel back in time to Thursday night at the Astrodome where Texas was on the verge of handing the Cougars their sixth loss of the season.

Leading 34-16, the Longhorns took possession at their 36-yard line with 2:27 left in the game. It was conceivable that they would need only one first down in order to run out the clock and collect the victory.

Texas coach John Mackovic substituted quarterback Chad Lucas for starter Shea Morenz, and the process seemed to begin. On first down, Curtis Jackson ran right and picked up 18 yards.

Then Jackson took a pitchout for eight yards to the Houston 38 and the clock continued to wind down.

But the next play – Lucas scrambled 21 yards to the 17 with the clock under a minute – caused heads to turn on the Cougar sideline.

"I don't know if Mackovic called the play or (Lucas) called it," Helton said after Monday's practice at the Dome. "I took a little offense at it. But what you do is what you do. I felt poorly that I even reflected on it.

"I don't harbor any hard feelings towards John. I'm sure he wasn't out there saying, 'Let's make these guys look bad.'"

But Helton hinted that maybe there was more to it.

"We'll play each other long enough to (have the situation) work itself out in the long run," he said. "I don't think there was intention by John Mackovic to rub anybody's nose into it.

"That's my <I>professional<P> opinion."

Asked what his private opinion was, Helton just smiled.

Others had different opinions on the subject.

"I guess he was trying to rub it in our face. He was trying to give us a dose of our own medicine for what we did in the past." said senior linebacker Ryan McCoy, referring to former coach John Jenkins' knack for running up the score with the game in hand.

"(Mackovic) was trying to avenge what we did to Illinois last year." Donald Douglas threw a touchdown pass on the last play of the game with a 24-13 lead. Before coming to the Longhorns last year, Mackovic coached Illinois from 1988—91.

"The things he did in the fourth quarter … there was no way we were going to score two touchdowns in a minute," said right guard Darrell Clapp. "He tried to score again."

"The UH-Texas game is going to be a key matchup next year," McCoy said, although both he and Clapp will have graduated by then. "It should be a good rivalry for seasons to come."

Attempts to reach Mackovic at his office were unsuccessful.

CONSISTENCY A VIRTUE

STABILITY, SURPRISES MARK GOLFERS' SEASON

The Houston Cougar golf team, ranked ninth nationally in the latest Golfweek/Taylor Made poll, wrapped up its fall season over the weekend with a fifth-place finish at the Harvey Penick Intercollegiate in Austin.

Senior Dean Larsson paced the team with a 3-over-par 219, good enough for an individual fourth-place tie to equal his best finish of the season. He also placed fourth at the Ping Tulsa Invitational.

The Cougars, ranked 14th in the Golf World poll, have played consistently in their first five tournaments against top-ranked opponents.

In four of the five tournaments, the Cougars have finished fifth or better, including a win at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate to open the season.

The performance has been a true team effort.

Larsson, a senior from Australia, has improved each of the four years he has been at Houston and shaved nearly two strokes from his average score per round.

But senior Eric Bogar has to be the surprise of the team. He was redshirted during the 1991—92 season after two average years and finished no higher than 29th in the 92—93 season.

This year, Bogar had a seventh-place finish at Kiawah after shooting 3-under-par and has placed 14th or better in four of five tries.

Bogar, the St. Thomas High School product, is also the most-improved player after trimming 4.1 strokes from his 77.7 average score per round last year to 73.6 this year.

Bogar and Larsson combined to own seven individual records for the Cougars, including Bogar's team-low 65 in the first round at Kiawah and Larsson's six rounds at par or better, the most on the team.

Houston head coach Keith Fergus also has to be pleased with the progress of junior Anders Hansen from Runebakken, Denmark.

Hansen's average score has continued to steadily drop. In 1991, he finished with a 75.9 average. This season his average stands at 74.3.

Hansen finished fifth at Kiawah with a three-round total of 211.

Although his average has dropped, Hansen is looking to recapture last season's winning touch. He has finished under par just once in five events this season.

Last season, Hansen won the Harvey Penick and International Intercollegiate tournaments.

Another Cougar looking to get on course is senior Brad Montgomery. The Dulles High School product has made even par once in five events and has finished no higher than 15th.

Montgomery's average has increased by more than a point from 75.7 last season to 76.8 in the fall. Montgomery won last season's AAII tournament.

But this season the Cougars have the right method of operation. When one teammate falters, another rises to the occasion.

OPPRESSION IN IRELAND

DANCING AT LUGHNASA TELLS OF THE TWIESTED LIVES OF MANY

<I>Dancing at Lughnasa<P> (loo-na-sa), written by Brian Friel, is subtle, compelling and a touch upsetting. After all, the misery of poor farmers in the north of Ireland is not a light matter.

Dealing with such a sensitive issue, Friel, through his narrative style, shows the beauty within the character's daily angst.

The play was the winner of the 1992 Tony Award for best play and the 1991 Oliver Award (the English equivalent to America's Tony.) It proved to be as brilliant in its Alley performance, as the awards had deemed.

The plot is simple enough, telling the trials of five unwed sisters as well as those of one sister's child and his father.

In addition, Father Jack, a missionary priest who has returned to Ireland after 25 years in Uganda and who is the brother of the five spinster sisters has a tale. Throw in that sister's radio too.

It is 1936, after the Republic of Ireland is established. The play is set in Donnegal, one of the six counties in northern Ireland which is under British domination.

The folkloric and lyrical Irish past, associated with freedom from England's rule, is in direct conflict with a forced moral present, (be it by outside hands or the characters' own sense of propriety.)

The Gaelic pagan festival, for which the two-act play is named, is in direct conflict with Christianity.

This conflict is compounded by Father Jack's conversion to the pagan practices of the tribal Ugandans with Cristie, one of the five sisters, having her child out of wedlock.

The narrator, Michael (the small child telling us the story as an adult) tells us the eventualities of the plot before those eventualities are shown, and indeed, some of them are not. A technique not at all unfamiliar. However, it does conflict as the paganism conflicts with the accepted forms of narrative.

The radio plays a significant role. It symbolizes the infrequent breaks from routine. The radio is broken and plays, if you will, when it feels it necessary.

While the radio is playing, the sisters break into spurious dance almost on cue. Just as suddenly the radio quiets, the once gayous sisters begin to bicker marking their return to their solemn house chores.

Perhaps the most compelling thing about this play, is that the conflicts lack resolution.

By the end of the play we know how the rest of their lives turns out. We are told this and not shown. The eventualities of their lives seem unimportant to the plot, for those eventualities seem inevitable.

While dealing with this strict and oppressive morality, the characters of this play dwell, in a sense, without that oppression.

Somehow in the midst of poverty, depression and the shambles of a house about to fall apart, the characters remained spirited, sometimes even joyous at the fascination of dance.

This is not a story of British oppression; of course it would be negligent of Friel to insist their was no problem and he doesn't. But this is a story about simple people, not the mythic stone gods of Greek tragedy.

Nor is it a romanticized look into the lives of the privileged. And as a play about ordinary people, no prince rides through, nor does light dawn allowing the sisters to transcend their squaller.

It is indeed worthy of its honors.

MOTHERS HELP FUTURE MOMS WITH PRENATAL CARE

Many people look to their mothers for love, advice and comfort. Thanks to people like Joan Mahon, mothers-to-be can get this kind of nurturing from several moms.

Mahon, a student and professor at Texas Woman's University College of Nursing, worked with Houston's Hispanic Northside Community to develop De Madres a Madres (From Mothers to Mothers,) a community-based organization operated mainly by volunteer mothers.

These neighborhood volunteers assist the area’s pregnant women with prenatal care.

"I really believe people who live in a community can make a difference, because people in the community know what they need more than professionals do," Mahon said.

The De Madres organization began in 1989 when Dr. Judith MacFarland, professor of nursing at Texas Woman's University, received a two-year grant from the Gulf Coast March of Dimes.

Mahon was hired at that time as a commonwealth nurse. Her job duties consisted of working in the Latino community and identifying potential volunteers in the area.

Volunteer mothers were needed to contact at-risk pregnant Hispanic women.

Forty volunteer mothers and three full-time staff members operate the clinic which provides information for pregnant women on prenatal care, health, nutrition, housing and local food pantries.

Since the program began, there have been no low-birth-weight babies born to women involved in the program and infant mortality has decreased by 5 percent, Mahon said.

The volunteer mothers also make and sell arts, crafts and tamales to help fund the center.

"A lot of people are trying to do some parts of the program and work it into their practice," Mahon said.

De Madres has become so popular that it has been recognized by Time Magazine and NBC Today.

"I'm willing to do anything to help (de Madres) because I really believe in it," Mahon said.

"It has helped me because the women have taught me so much – what it means to work and cooperate in a community venture and really care about each other and their community."

For her grass roots efforts in helping to give birth to de Madres, Mahon was given a community service award from the Houston Area Women's Center on Nov. 2.

Mahon said once she completes her doctorate, she hopes to go to Brazil and do community health research, where she will use the knowledge she obtained from working with de Madres.

In 1991, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation donated funding to de Madres to cover the next three years. These funds were used to rent Casa Azul, the center where the volunteer mothers now work.

Last May, Casa Azul was purchased through the support of the Strake Foundation, the Brown Foundation and Las Madrinas.

"(The mothers-to-be) learn from the volunteering mothers' experiences," said Mitzi Vorachek of the Houston Area Women's Center.

"Expertise comes from the women themselves."

Anyone wanting to donate food, baby clothing or other goods to De Madres a Madres clinic can contact Sylvia Castillo at 223-2432 or stop by the clinic at 1108 Paschall.

DANCE TROUPE DAZZLES

by Tom Vinh

For those of you who are into contemporary dance, the Delia Stewart Dance Company will have two performances this Nov. 20 and 21.

The Delia Stewart Dance Company has long been synonymous with an American art form. The company performs dances that are rich in cultural and ethnic flavor.

Shows are performed with true vibrancy and symmetric flow with a disciplined control of the body’s movements.

The company has been receiving wonderful reviews and enjoying a new level of notoriety among the public.

Since 1990, the company has been dedicated to furthering its educational goals and has worked toward this through a number of cooperative efforts.

The Delia Stewart Dance Company's collaborative efforts with the Houston Independent School District are responsible for bringing the wonders and beauty of dance to students of public schools, who aren’t frequently exposed to the art form.

With this outreach program, the company's goal is to foster American theater, integrate arts in the mainstream educational curriculum and bring dancers and choreographers in touch with the public.

The program actually started in the 1980s with the financial assistance of company contributors and the Texas Commission for the Arts Touring Program.

Partnerships with the school district and other groups, such as Kuumba House, have heightened the company’s appeal by increasing awareness in diverse communities throughout the city.

Now with increasing financial support as well as public and private support, the Delia Stewart Company has been able to gather some of the best dancers and choreographers in the country to perform at the Fall Concerts.

The company's guest artist is Vernon Scott who graduated from the Kinkaid School and has danced with Pilobolus, and Baryshnikov’s White Oak Project.