LEARNING FROM THE PAST

CINCINNATI HAS SMALL PIECE OF HISTORY ON ITS SIDE

The Cincinnati Bearcats have two things going for them when they arrive to play Houston Saturday at the Astrodome.

In the Bearcats' 13-game history with Houston, their two lone victories have come during seasons in which they had a winning record.

With their 23-20 victory over Memphis State two weeks ago, the 6-3 Bearcats have guaranteed themselves a winning season, their first since 1982.

Also, the two years Cincinnati has beaten Houston (1964, '75), the Cougars have had two victories or less. The Cougars are wallowing at 1-6-1 this season.

But Cincinnati could be the tonic the Cougars need to avoid their worst season since a 1-10 record in 1986. Unfortunately, the Bearcats haven't been pushovers this year.

They took a lead against top-ranked Syracuse into the fourth quarter and forced the Orangemen to come from behind for a slim 24-21 victory.

"Cincinnati is a good solid football program," said Houston head coach Kim Helton. "In all honesty, you'd rather not play them. The bottom line is they're good."

In the similar opponent department, Cincinnati wins that battle. The Bearcats beat Tulsa 22-15 in Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane shocked Houston 38-24 in the Cougars' home opener.

But the Dome has not been kind to the Ohio team in the past. Houston holds a 4-0 advantage, the last one a 27-6 win in 1974.

Homefield advantage isn't what it should be this year for the Cougars, though, as they've only posted a 1-2-1 record in the climate-controlled environment. However, it's a definite advantage over their 0-4 road record.

The oddsmakers are calling this game a near toss-up, making Cincinnati a one-point favorite.

The Bearcats have a powerful rushing attack, averaging 193 yards a game. Tailback David Small, a 5-9, 180-pound senior, has 770 yards and 10 touchdowns and averages nearly five yards per carry.

Senior quarterback Lance Harp is an adequate passer, completing 113-of-238 passes for 1,311 yards, eight TDs and six interceptions.

"Neither the offense or defense are spectacular, but they are very efficient," said Bearcat head coach Tim Murphy, who is 15-37-1 in five years with Cincinnati. "We mix it up a little bit. The combination of those has allowed us to win."

Houston counters with redshirt freshman Chuck Clements, who will make his third start of the year with Jimmy Klingler still smarting from a rib injury he suffered against Texas Chrisitian.

Coach Helton has had free safety Donald Douglas take snaps at quarterback this week with Klingler doubtful and No. 3 QB Clay Helton out for the year with a shoulder injury.

Douglas and Klingler split time at quarterback last year. The only other healthy quarterback is Chad Lucas, who has taken over the holding duties.

One of the game's key matchups should be Cougar running backs Donald Moffett and TiAndre Sanders against linebacker Jason Coppess.

Coppess has 102 tackles this season, including four for losses, and a sack.

The Cincinnati defense also has 10 interceptions and 16 sacks in only nine games.

*******************************************************

SA PREZ MAY BE WORKING WITHOUT PAY

Several Students' Association members have told The Daily Cougar that SA President Jason Fuller is not getting paid because his grade point average is too low.

Despite repeated attempts by the Cougar to obtain documentation about Fuller's compensation status, the Dean of Students Office and Campus Activities refused to release the information.

According to the Dean of Students Office regulations about SA, the president is paid $566 per month. However, October's set payroll allotment was down $566, from $2,762 to $2,196. September's payroll numbers were off by a larger amount, in part because of personnel changes.

Fuller said he is being paid but won't discuss his GPA because he said it is confidential. The Cougar has learned, however, that Fuller was not listed on SA's October payroll records.

Director of Campus Activities Consuelo Trevino released a listing of SA's expenditures, but refused to confirm whether or not Fuller is being paid. She also said records of Fuller's GPA are protected by the Buckley Amendment, which holds students' grades and class standing private.

According to UH guidelines, the only situation where a student leader in a compensated position would before be forced to lose pay is if his or her GPA falls below a 2.00.

Students who fall below a 2.00 GPA are also at risk of being placed on academic probation.

To obtain a compensated position, student leaders must have a 2.50 GPA for the 24 credit hours leading up to their appointment. They are allowed to fall to a 2.00 while they are in office.

Fuller said the presidential position "pays too little to take the job for the money.

"Our family is in an extremely stable financial situation. Our grandparents foundation set up a trust fund for us, so really I don't need to work," said Fuller.

There has not been an uncompensated SA president since the 26th administration when Michael Belicove's GPA dropped below the 2.00 mark in 1989-90.

PANEL EXPLORES CLINTON'S HEALTH PLAN

Though many of the implications of the Clinton health care plan may still be uncertain, panelists attempted to shed some light on the issue through a campus forum "Health Care Reform and the Clinton Proposal."

While some Americans fear the United States is moving toward a socialized medical system based on a Canadian model, the Health Security Act proposed by Clinton falls somewhere in the middle, said Carl Slater, an associate professor of health services organization at the UTPHF.

"President Clinton's plan is really a mix between market minimizing and maximizing," said Slater.

If the market is minimized, the system would closely resemble a Canadian model, but if the market is maximized, the system relies more heavily on market forces and competition, said Slater.

"Clinton's plan is so big and comprehensive, it is very hard to predict what is going to happen," said Dr. Dave Lairson, a professor of health economics at UTPHF.

Right now, no one really knows how Clinton's proposal will affect the students enrolled in university health insurance plans, said Gayle Pragar, interim director of the health center.

"This is all too new. In Congress; it is just barely out in print," said Pragar. "The effects will vary from campus to campus."

On college campuses where they have a medical school and hospital, they might form a Health Maintenance Organization, said Pragar.

Preventive medicine seems to be the battle cry of most health care professionals, said Ken Wiseman, a senior heath care promotions student.

"Health care is really disease care," said Wiseman. "I support reform, but the Clinton plan is rearranging what's there instead of changing how we view health and disease."

Clinton's health care plan calls for universal coverage of all U. S. citizens. The coverage could not be interrupted even when people move, lose or change jobs or get sick. All employers would be required to provide workers with health insurance and pay 80 percent of the premiums.

The country would be organized into regional health care alliances to negotiate with insurers and providers. A National Health Board would guide the whole complicated system. Corporations with more than 5,000 employees could operate plans outside alliances.

The history of government intervention in health care is poor, said Steven Craig, UH associate professor of economics.

"Health care costs started rising in the '60s when the government started intervening with Medicare and Medicaid," Craig said. "Government does not make things cheaper."

The forum was sponsored by the Ecumenical University Ministry and featured four speakers from the The University of Texas Public Health Faculty.

CAREER CENTER OFFERS STUDENTS ASSISTANCE

by Paula L. Pierre

In today's rough job market, sending in a resume to a company and waiting for the phone to ring may not be enough to land that ideal job, as UH students learned recently at a Career Planning and Placement Center workshop.

The workshop, "Conducting the Multi-faceted Job Campaign," was set up to assist students in effective methods of finding a job in today's market.

"The job market has changed significantly now, it is going to require a whole lot more of you as a job searcher," said Betty Brown, coordinator of alumni career services.

One of the biggest problems with students finding jobs after college is that they don't realize the amount of time that goes into searching for the right job, said Brown.

"Students' lack of preparation, lack of understanding that it takes a lot of effort to find a job and unrealistic expectations of what they want from a job are some of the problems students face when looking for jobs," she said.

Besides the hard work, looking for a job also requires patience. The average job search takes from five to six months she said.

"Students shouldn't wait a month before they graduate because the process takes much longer than that," Brown said. "Don't get discouraged if you work real hard for two weeks and don't get any feedback."

Brown encouraged students to begin their job search at least two semesters before graduation.

Carol Beerstecher, a counselor at CPPC said, "The research shows that students who start early are much more likely to find a position that relates to their field."

Brown suggested that networking is more effective than looking in the newspaper for jobs, because only about 1 percent of jobs found by college students were listed in the want ads, Brown said.

"The best results are going to come from networking; 70 to 80 percent of jobs are not going to be advertised," she said.

David Small, assistant vice president for Student Services said, "It is more important than it has ever been for college students to network, since companies are not using the traditional approach to hiring."

Since there has been a decrease in college recruitment, more employers are hiring students who have been introduced to them or students they have met at career fairs, Small said.

Small said researching a prospective employer and targeting a resume to the employer's need would be beneficial in finding the job they want.

"Students often use the shotgun method. They think it is better to send out 100 resumes than to send 20 targeted resumes. Students should use a rifle not a shotgun," Small said.

The CPPC has been successful in placing students with employers who use the service, said Small.

"Seventy-eight percent of the students (using CPPC) have found jobs related to their majors three months after they have graduated," Small said.

APARTMENT A MELTING POT OF UH STUDENTS

Visitors to the Cambridge Oaks apartment that is home to Calvin Howton, George Longoria, Bernard White and Hui Zhang, may feel like they have walked into an episode of MTV's <I>Real Life<P>.

However, this UH cultural melting pot of students -- white, Hispanic, black and Chinese -- was not planned. The men were randomly assigned to live together.

"I thought it was a project at Cambridge Oaks," said sophomore Josh Rodrigue, a friend of the roommates.

All four roommates said they did not notice their living situation was different until many of their friends commented on the ethnic mix. But they didn't notice because they "never" have any problems.

"When I look around I don't see Hispanic, Chinese and white," said business sophomore Bernard White. "I see George, Hui and Calvin. We see each other as a person."

The roommates do not believe in stereotyping people according to their race. Although they are always joking with each other, they never insult each other's ethnicity.

"It is amazing how they get along without making racial remarks," said freshman Sang Nam, a friend of the roommates.

The four hope other people will realize that different races can live together peacefully. They encourage their friends to associate with one another at their apartment in order to promote ethnic diversity around the campus.

"We are just trying to prove to the world that you can get along," said George Longoria, a junior biology major.

"It does not matter where you come from or what you do, as long as you look at somebody beyond their skin color or culture, just notice that they are human beings and you can all get along," said Longoria.

By promoting ethnic diversity, they hope to relax the tensions between different races. Howton said everyone should respect one another's opinions and observe the Golden Rule of treating people the way they want to be treated.

"Nobody is too good for anybody else," said Howton.

These students believe they have benefitted in many ways from this living circumstance. Graduate student Zhang, who arrived from China this semester, helps freshman chemical engineering major Howton with his algebra, while Howton, Longoria and White help Zhang to learn English.

They have taught Zhang about American culture and he has learned how to joke with his roommates when they are teasing him. They have also learned about his customs, although they usually avoid dinner when he cooks.

Zhang said this experience has helped him to realize that "we are all living in this world and we are all people."

Although they have enjoyed living with people of different races, White said that if someone had suggested he live in this type of situation, it would have seemed strange to him. However, he said he was glad to have had this opportunity.

"Even though people are different races, we all have something in common," said White.

FOOTBALL SENIORS TO TAKE FINAL CURTAIN CALL AGAINST BEARCATS

When the Houston Cougars take the field Saturday against the Cincinnati Bearcats, the seniors will be playing their final game at the Astrodome.

In his final appearance at the Dome, Houston middle linebacker Ryan McCoy is expected to break the school record for career tackles. McCoy is seven shy of breaking Gary McGuire's record of 472 set in 1985-87.

McCoy and fellow linebackers Allen Aldridge, Michael Newhouse, Stewart Carpenter and Kelvin McKnight will be honored before kickoff along with their parents.

Also being honored is running back Lamar Smith. Smith started the season showcasing his talents as one of the best running backs in the Southwest Conference.

Smith was the Cougars' leading rusher and receiver before separating his shoulder against Texas A&M. The injury ended Smith's season.

Smith will be recognized alongside running backs TiAndre Sanders and Donald Moffett.

Other senior Cougars are: receivers Keith Jack, Sherman Smith and Kenneth Jones; offensive linemen Darrell Clapp, Greg Whitty and Joe Wheeler; defensive linemen Nahala Johnson and Stephen Dixon; defensive back Donald Douglas, Stanley Holmes, Preston Bailey and John W. Brown; kicker Jason Stoft; and punter Thery George.

HOOP IT UP

COACH BROOKS SORES BIG WITH RECRUITING CLASS

Houston head basketball coach Alvin Brooks signed center Adrian Taylor and forward Galen Robinson to attend the University of Houston.

Taylor and Robinson are the foundation to an excellent recruiting class for the Cougars.

In the November signing period, Brooks kept his promise of bringing in local talent. Taylor is 7-1, 320 pounds from Washington High School. Robinson is 6-8 from Aldine MacArthur.

Both are considered top Houston area recruits by several publications, including the Houston Chronicle. Robinson led the city in rebounds as a junior.

The Cougars beat Michigan, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M in the recruiting race for Robinson.

Brooks also signed 6-3 shooting guard Damon Jones of Galveston Ball. and Tommie Davis a 5-9 point guard from Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles.

Jones is also a top area recruit and chose the Cougars over Lamar, Kansas State and Texas A&M.

Davis and Jones have met their academic requirements and are eligible to enroll at UH.

COACH KENLAW SIGNS TALENT TRIO

Lady Cougars head coach Jessie Kenlaw is quickly adding to her reputation as an excellent recruiter.

Kenlaw signed Jerri Cooper, 5-9, from Mesquite; Jennifer Jones, 5-11, from Whitney Young High School in Chicago; and Fleceia Comeaux, 5-7, from Houston Nimitz.

Jones is only a junior and will graduate a year early.

These three recruits are expected to boolster this year's entering class, which was rated the fourth-best recruiting class in the nation by several publications, including Parade.

The Cougars will have Parade All-American Patricia Luckey, 6-1, from San Marcos. She averaged 19.3 points and 13.2 rebounds per game last year.

Parade and NCAA Preview call Luckey the Southwest Conference's next Sheryl Swoopes.

Other Cougar newcomers are Nater Dunn, 5-9, from Marion; Traci Bell, 5-6, from Oakland; Sandra Perkins, 6-2, from Florence, Ala.; and Niki Washington, 5-11, from Sanford, Fla.

HASH SMOKES TOO LITTLE

by D.V.J. McAdams

Hash should avoid press releases like the plague.

The band's frontman says, "There is no singular overlying message here," later stating, "This is the record I wanted to make. If anyone else likes it, it's icing on the cake."

And the Elektra records press guy who writes the press kits says, "Accolades. They're not looking for any." Well, they're in luck 'cause they sure not getting any here.

Needless to say, Hash is underwhelming, and all the, "I don't care about what you think about our music because it's what I wanted to do" posturing doesn't cut it.

The lead sounds like Perry Farrell being forced to sing with a wad of phlegm. And they seem not to know what kind of band they are. It's as though they sat around the recording studio and said, "Let's do a punk song. No wait, that doesn't sell well, let's do a Red Hot Chili Peppers kind of thing. No wait ...."

There are a few bright spots to the band though. "Mr. Hello," a quite good funk song, is impressive. "Twilight Ball" was an acceptable quasi-punk song and "Operation Herve" was a cool hippy, trippy ditty.

So they're not all that bad, just a tad pretentious.

The best quality is the band's name. Now if only they'd live up to it.

WICKED CITY A DEVILISH PLEASURE

by shane patrick boyle

<I>Wicked City<P> is an anime classic full of action, intrigue and fantasy topped off with art that blows away any American cartoon. And the alien encounters give a whole new meaning to unsafe sex.

Anime (Japanese animation) has been gaining popularity in the past decade largely because the Japanese animators have recognized that animation is an art form and not strictly a kids' entertainment medium -- a concept that has caught on very heavily in the Disney-dominated American market.

<I>Wicked City<P> is set in the near future. It is the turn of the century, and it's time to renew a peace treaty between the Earth and the Black World, a nether-realm populated by supernatural shape-shifters.

Earthman Taki Renzaburo is a member of the Black Gaurd, a secret agency that protects the delicate balance between the two worlds. He has been paired up with Makie, a femme fatale (at least in her human form) from the Dark World, to protect a 200-year-old diplomat who they are told is essential to the upcoming treaty signing.

Taki and Makie take their mission seriously because they know many Dark-Worlders will kill to stop the renewal of the treaty. But they end up being baby sitters more than body guards for the ancient spoiled brat.

As soon they are pre-occupied with a battle against intruders from the Dark World, he runs off to a brothel where he ends up literally having a hell of a time.

In the course of the rescue, Makie is lost to the Dark World, and Taki is forced to choose between his mission and the love he has suddenly developed for Makie. He makes the expected choice, knowing it could cost his job, his life and the peace of two worlds. But there is more to the peace treaty than he has been told.

The story is interesting but it takes a back seat to the animation, which is a blend of crisp images in the style of Patrick Nagel (a fair comparison since a Nagel print hangs in Taki's apartment) and a surrealist style reminiscent of H.R. Geiger (in the shape-shifting scenes).

Pirated copies of <I>Wicked City<P> (under the title <I>Supernatural Beastie City<P>) with English subtitles have been shown by Anime clubs in America for some time, but anime lovers can thank Carl Macek (who also brought <I>Robo-Tech<P> to America) for adapting Kawajiri's film to English, so viewers can follow the story without any annoying subtitles to detract from the fine animation.

To see why anime has been catching on, check out Yoshiaki Kawajiri's <I>Wicked City<P>, opening this weekend at River Oaks 3.