LETTERS NOT GIVEN STAMP OF APPROVAL BY TECHNO-STUDENTS

With phones, faxes and telegrams, letters seem to have become outmoded. Most parents and friends of UH students have forgotten what handwriting looks like.

Only four of 10 UH students interviewed wrote letters home. Most students said phone calls are a lot quicker and more personal than letters.

Nevertheless, some students keep the old tradition alive.

Jolie Woodward, a sophomore political science major, said she still enjoys writing letters.

"I write letters all the time – about two to three letters a month. I like to keep in touch with my family and friends. Most of them live out of state and writing letters is a lot cheaper than (a phone call)," she said.

Daniel Encinoza, a sophomore Hotel and Restaurant Management major, writes three to four letters a week. "You have to (write letters) when (relatives) live far away. I don't like the phone because you talk about the moment. Letters are a lot more personal. You talk (more) about what is happening in general," he said.

Nancy Puga, a sophomore theater major, said she doesn't write as many letters as she should. "I write a few letters. Usually it's when it's someone's birthday, (then) I send a card but I prefer the phone. I don't make many long distance phone calls, so it's not as expensive," she said.

Alex Heyns, a sophomore RTV major, said she has to write a lot of letters. "My parents are in South Africa and I write to them about two times a week. Most of my letters go out of the United States, so making phone calls is expensive," she said.

She said she writes more than 10 letters a month to stay in touch with friends and relatives. She once had an interesting experience that led to a steady pen pal.

After a visit to South Africa one year, Heyns met a man who was also returning to the United States from there. They began to talk and a new friendship was born. "We both knew (about) the States and South Africa so we had a lot to talk about. I still write to him. He's in New York," she said.

Writing letters can be time consuming. It takes much longer than a simple phone call, but it’s also cheaper. Letters have been around since ancient times. We've only gotten luckier by having great letter carriers such as <I>Cheers<P>’ Cliff Claven, who keep our letters arriving on time.

Now’s a good time to lower those high phone bills, put pen to paper and surprise mom with a few of those $10 words you learned at college.

*******************************************************

SA PRESIDENT FOUND INNOCENT

Students' Association President Jason Fuller and SA Senator Hunter Jackson were found innocent of charges of discrimination, disorderly conduct and libel at Wednesday night's Interfraternity Council disciplinary meeting.

Fuller and Jackson, both members of Sigma Phi Epsilon, were accused of hanging a banner about rival fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon reading, "Tau Kappa Epsilon: We're here and we're queer."

A man tried to force his way into the closed meeting knocking IFC's Staff Advisor John Logan in the head with the door.

Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Alliance President Elizabeth Lee said her organization had nothing to do with the attack, but she said it was a student who was upset about the homophobic banner.

According to Lee the man said he was determined to get in and did not care if the police had to come.

"We were there because we were having a meeting in the UC. It was a past student who knew about the issues and tried to force his way in," said Lee.

Fuller said the whole incident was "unfortunate," but as a student leader he would not hang a homophobic banner because he has always had "honor" and "integrity."

"I have a responsibility to represent all students regardless of sex, race, sexual orientation or religious background," he said.

The judicial committee is made up of the presidents of all the fraternities on campus and the judicial chair.

"No one actually saw them hanging the sign. All the evidence was circumstantial," said Donald Dement, IFC's judicial committee chair and member of Delta Sigma Phi.

Lee says she will give IFC's decision the "benefit of the doubt," but that she will meet with Fuller and Dean of Students William Munson to create a "sensitivity training" program for SA and for the IFC.

She also said it was hard for the IFC to serve "real justice" when they are judging a friend and a colleague.

Campus Wide Activities Chair Tonya Fredericks originally signed the statement saying she saw Fuller and Jackson carrying what looked like the banner the night before it was found hanging. Fredericks could not be reached for comment.

President of TKE James Meinen, who pressed the charges, also could not be found.

THE COUGAR HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK WITH LINDIWE MABUZA, WEDNESDAY.

Daily Cougar: <B>Who are you and what do you stand for?<P>

Lindiwe Mabuza: I am the chief representative of the African National Congress, of the ANC, which is the oldest organized liberation movement on the continent of Africa. All true representatives of the ANC are first and foremost representatives, they speak on behalf of the national executive committee. I speak on behalf of Nelson Mandela and the colleagues in the government body of the ANC. And it has been our task to paint for the world the picture, or the pictures that come out of the daily experiences of our people, apartheid, the resistance to apartheid and the certainty of it.

We stand for the principles which are enshrined in all democratic constitutions, in the hearts and minds of all democrats around the world – liberty, equality, justice, freedom, the pursuit of happiness. Sound familiar?

DC: <B>What is the purpose of your Houston Visit?<P>

LW: That question might best be answered by my hosts, but it is to update the people of Houston on the present state, the process, the negotiations process going on in our country. I think that you recall that sometime in December 1990, President Nelson Mandela was here in Houston when it was just the beginnings. Actually, from Houston, we went right back to begin the negotiations process itself, which started formally on the 20th of December in 1990. And we had to tell the people what the implications of the summit decision today actually mean; the summit that was held by the parties involved in the negotiations in South Africa.

And of course, I have also to tell them that the struggle is far from being over.... We need... the capacity to win a decisive victory on the 27th of April next year, and that calls for contributions in dollars and in kind. You have to recall that we are expecting that about 22 million people will be voting and 19 million will be voting for the first time, which means we already start at a clear disadvantage compared to the other side that has been holding power and holding elections regularly.

Every five years they – the white population in South Africa – are holding elections, which of course means that they have the infrastructure; they have the electoral organization; they have the culture of voting and we are just starting after 350 years of colonial rule, racism, apartheid – all forms of bigotry – for the first time we'll be voting. And we have to start from scratch.

We have to educate our people to appreciate the process in which they are going to be determining their destiny. It cannot be assumed that because the ANC is a popular organization, the same millions that like Mandela will naturally get out to vote.

It is never assumed that all Americans will go to vote, right? So you see, all of the, most candidates going through the motions precisely because humans beings, being what they are, need to be reminded of the splendor of democracy. And that we must exercise the power; and how much more for people who have never done it; who have never known it; who don't have a tradition or precedent. But we are teaching our people that. With more resources, we can cover greater scope.

DC: <B>Why Houston in particular, as opposed to other cities in the United States?<P>

LM: I go all over the country. I was speaking in New York last week. Other colleagues of mine are also running around the country, so it's not any particular place. But here, it's because there are people who are organizing, who are organized or trying to organize to help us with exactly the kinds of things I was talking about. There's a lot of energy in Houston. There is a lot of desire to see us realize our objective.

Houston? Because Houston, like all American cities, has participated together with us against the struggle of apartheid. It's one struggle that the whole world can actually claim the rights to celebrating the victory. Because it does not belong to the people of South Africa alone, since it galvanized the entire international community. Houston was one of those cities like Chicago, New York, San Francisco, that when the call was made to isolate the apartheid regime and boycott apartheid groups, people stood up. Public officials had to take positions because their supporters put the question of apartheid on their agenda. Since Houston, like other cities, invested in the anti-apartheid struggle, when we appeal for assistance in order to help us win these elections, it is because we want an investment in democracy from Houston. We would like Houston to help us, yes, to win the elections.

But even more important, beyond the elections, when we have to rebuild and reconstruct the country and develop the country We need the investors that we had told several years ago not to go to South Africa to come back now because it was never meant to be a permanent arrangement. We put on the pressure and it is that pressure that brought the white minority to the negotiations table.

DC: <B>What motivated you to become involved with the ANC?<P>

LM: I'm afraid that answer is not one thing. It's a set of circumstances. I came to this country as a student of literature and I experienced racism, personally, in this country when I was trying to do a Ph.D. program in literature, and I switched to do American Studies. For me that was the beginning of wisdom. I got to understand the roots of American problems and in looking at America, I was faced with the reality of my own country. And this was during the period of turbulence in this country, the '60s, the '70s. I grew up in this country politically. When I arrived it was at a certain stage of the Civil Rights Movement.

I couldn't be just an observer. It had an impact on me because everything had correlations, which related to something in South Africa. You walk the streets of America you can't miss the same labels flash before you, "Goodyear," as they flash in South Africa. And so, in a way, I was home, away from home in an unpleasant way.

It was also during the period of the war in Vietnam. I listened to the debate. I wasn't participating. The debate on Vietnam opened my eyes even more to the debate in South Africa. What about my country, what about my situation? I got to find out about the wars of liberation in various parts of Africa. I wasn't a part of the struggle.

I just wanted to be a good student and to succeed and to make it. To be as good as any white person, even better, because I never had a complex about my ability to succeed, despite what apartheid in South Africa was doing. It was the period of the women's movement in this country (America). So you can understand then, between 1964 and the end of 1976, I grew up. It seemed the most logical thing. And I was teaching American students, teaching them American history, American literature, teaching them African history. I participated and became a professor at the center for African-American studies at the University of Ohio at Athens. I was able to participate in the development of American Students –black and white – and they loved many of my classes because they were always comparative.

As my nephew said when … he was 14, "I've often wondered when you would come to that. I knew it was a matter of time before you would end up doing it. You were doing that here in America anyway in teaching those subjects, conscientizing (forming conscientiousness) the American young people you had to come to the conclusion that your real terrain of struggle is not in America, but to be within an organization leading the struggle to liberate South Africa."

It's a combination of all those. But I got a sort-of reinforcement from the students that, yes, it was the current struggle to be involved in. I got to understand that it's getting too academic. I had made up my mind by 1975, and I was just planning to leave by the end of 1976. In 1976 the children's uprising occurred in Sowetto... that bloody massacre of 200 school children. The most vulnerable unarmed harmless... just mowed down like flies.

So blame it on America. Thank my experience in this country.

<B>What were the primary motivations for DeKlerk and the government to re-legalize the ANC? How legitimate are the elections going to be?<P>

I have no doubt in my mind. This interim arrangement is really one that has to ensure that the elections are free and fair. The violence that has been waging in South Africa is also aimed at discouraging voter turnout, we believe that the presence of international monetary groups is going to assist to ensure that the elections are indeed free and fair.

Your really talking about elections between unequal parties. The white parties are well rehearsed. The organizations that represent the oppressed classes have never done this, so we start at an uneven level. That is the purpose of the assembly; to create instruments that will level the playing field.

DC:<B>Will there be any redistribution of land or wealth? If so, how far will the redistribution go?<P>

LM: What we will have in a government of national unity which will be elected, is not just the ANC in government. We say it's a government of national unity because we are very serious about the reconciliation in the country.

Of course, you will agree that political democracy becomes very vulnerable if it is not at the same time accompanied by economic democracy. And our people are hungry for land because 87 percent of South Africa still belongs to white people – 13 percent of the population – while only 13 percent (of the land) belongs to the majority. That's an unattainable situation. If you do not correct that you're just postponing an explosion.

The ANC is not interested in stealing anybody's land or houses.

DC: <B>Is it difficult balancing your literary ambitions with your political ambitions?<P>

LM: There is no balance! I have less time now to concentrate on the writing, but all of the poetry came out of a certain political sensitivity. Even the love poems as far as I'm concerned, but without time, you don't have the discipline, the serenity, the tranquility. There is so much to do.

But the muse still speaks to me. I just need to be taken out of what I'm doing at the time. There are lots of things crying to come out. And they come out like the birth of my new country – they will be born.

MABUZA'S SUNSET

The sirens gave it away.

They were echoing off the walls of downtown Stockholm, painting building red, almost creating a bloody meridian.

It was a scene: the fire trucks stood tall with their ladders against the five-story building; the police seemed to outnumber the people watching, but she knew they didn't. "Something has happened to the office," was her only thought. Her niece, only five years old, was still in the fifth-floor office. She looked at the roof; it was still on. But she had not been inside.

The steel street-level door of the building was blown wide open. Its metal carcass looked like crushed aluminum with pieces laying quitely on the street like shrapnel. Small, jagged pieces sticking from the wall grabbed at her clothes as she walked through. The entire building was charred. A bomb had exploded in the basement. And the bomb had done its job. Every floor was a visage of destruction; the intestines of the building were hanging loose after being ripped from within itself.

Roofs were caved in; pillars and supports were laying lazily and heavy on whatever was beneath them. The ground was unsteady, and the climb to her office wrought with unsure and soft footing.

She walked up the shaky, winding stairs to find the remains of the African National Congress office in Scandinavia. Even on the other side of the globe, they can still get to her. A nervous glance. Where is her niece?

Slowly, as she looked through the remains of an office once sprawling with energy, life and purpose, the people began to rise. The bomb's impact had been felt, but due to the office's location in the attic of the five-story building, they were sheltered; they lived. Her niece was unharmed.

She had called the office to have them place a call to the ANC office in Nigeria. She would be back between two and two-thirty. She started walking back.

But she thought that she might show her friend a mural painted on the side of a concert hall. They walked slowly and the murals; colors seemed to spray down and shelter them. The walk delayed them for fifteen minutes.

"Had I returned at the time when I was expected, since our home (office) was burned...." Mabuza trailed off, her eyes lowered. "And in the meantime my collegues were upstairs. But because our office was actually the attic of the building, the force of the bomb didn't go direct. It went down. That’s why all the others’ floors were affected." she said.

CONTEST LETS STUDENTS BE PREZ FOR A DAY

by M. McBride

Instead of a day spent meeting with administrators, UH President James Pickering may spend Wednesday learning a little more about human sexuality -- and taking notes. Or he may wind up in a genetics lab for a couple of hours. Or he may even have to pour over Chaucer's <I>Canterbury Tales<P>.

As part of the UH Student Foundation's Big Switch, a student will get to play president for a day on Wednesday while Pickering plays student -- backpack and all.

Any student who buys a beverage cup at the UC, Satellite or PGH breezeway can register for the Big Switch by filling out a ticket for the drawing on Friday. But this is one office you don't have to buy your way into. Free tickets are available at the Office of Development on the fourth floor of the E. Cullen Building.

The idea for the Big Switch came from UT-Arlington, where students have been switching places with presidents for four years, said Seneca Brashear, a senior English major and chair of the Big Switch committee.

She said Pickering is "student-oriented" so the fund-raising group decided to give the idea a try, "and (Pickering) even agreed to wear a backpack and a T-shirt and take notes for the student" while the student is busy attending Pickering's meetings.

The winner's itinerary? After meeting with Pickering to discuss the day's agenda, the new president will meet with six prominent administrators: Athletic Director Bill Carr, Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee, Director of Admission Rob Sheinkopf, Associate Vice President for Development Susan Coulter and Associate Vice President for Planning Skip Szilagyi.

That may be a tough day's work, but sophomore business major Hollie Maxymillian said if she wins, "I'm going to tell (the administrators) teachers need more office hours to be more available." This is Maxymillian's first contest but she says if she becomes president for a day, Pickering needs to remember to meet her Delta Zeta sorority sisters for their usual Wednesday lunch in the UC.

Kirk Bateman, a senior business major, said he didn't know about the itinerary scheduling a meeting with Carr, but that it would be "neat" to meet him. Otherwise, he'll spend his day finding his student file to "change some grades."

Students can get tickets until the drawing for the winner Friday at 2 p.m.

GEOGRAPHY MINOR DROPS OFF THE MAP

by Tammy Gamble

UH students will no longer be able to minor in geography after this semester ends.

The elimination proposal, approved by Undergraduate Council Wednesday, will allow students who file for a geography minor after this semester to be granted the minor only if they complete all the minor requirements before the end of this semester.

The council also approved course changes and new courses for classes in electronics, human development and consumer sciences, industrial technology, philosophy, Humanities Fine Arts and Communications, Mexican American Studies, religious studies and civil technology. Horace Gray, Curriculum Committee chair, read out the lengthy list of changes ranging from prerequisites, course names and department locations.

Dr. Grace Butler from the Teaching Evaluation Committee spoke to members about the progress of the committee in developing a way to reward teaching excellence and also improve instruction when needed. "The best way to find out about the needs of faculty is to ask them," Butler said.

Many members expressed worries about whether the committee can find a successful way of rewarding teaching or if workshops on improving teaching would be effective.

Rob Sheinkopf, director of admissions, presented the council with a videotape being used to recruit students in high schools throughout the United States. The six-minute videotape, which cost more than $23,000 for production and distribution, shows aspects of the university including academics, city life, residential life and campus activities.

HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS

1450-1500: First Europeans visit southern and eastern coasts; Portuguese establish trade monopoly with East

1608: Dutch Admiral Cornelis Matelief barters for sheep in Table Bay

1652: Cape refreshment station established by Dutch

1795: First British occupation begins

1806: Britain reoccupies the Cape

1875: Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners (Association of True Afrikaner) formed

1879: Start of Anglo-Zulu War

1881: British forces defeated by Boers at Majuba

1899: South African war : British fight Boers, or Afrikners

1910: Union of South Africa formed

1912: South African Native National Congress (later ANC) formed

1927: Compulsory segregation proclaimed in 26 urban areas

1930: ANC executive resigns in protest at close ties with communists; ANC radicals in Western Cape form independent ANC

1943: Formation of the ANC Youth League

1949: Militant Congress Youth League-inspired Programme of Action adopted at ANC Congress

1952: ANC launches Defiance Campaign; riots lead to passage of Public Safety Act and Criminal Law Amendment Act

ANC membership rises from 7000 to 100,000

1955: Freedom Charter adopted by Congress of the People (including the ANC, the S. A. Indian Congress, the S.A. Congress of Trade Unions and the Colored People Congress)

1959: Pan-Africanist Congress formed by leaders of independent militant ANC

1960: ANC and PAC banned

1962: Mandela receives guerrilla training in Algeria; arrested on return

1963: Mandela and eight others sentenced to life in prison for treason

1969: S.A. Students' Association formed under Stephen Biko.

1976: Soweto school protests; hundreds of school children killed by police; riots follow.

1977: Stephen Biko dies in detention

1985: Congress of S.A. Trade Unions launched

1987: Stepped-up sanctions by U.S.

1988: Government cracks down on opposition parties

1990: ANC re-legalized; Mandela released from prison; attempts are made to bring exiled leaders back to S.A.

1993: International sanctions lifted

<B>1994, April 27: Date set for first free elections in South African history<P>

THE "PERFECT" VEGETARIAN SEEKS GOOD INFORMATION

by Debbie Callier

Dorm cuisine doesn't make allowances for a balanced vegetarian diet, not even at UH, but it was worse when Ann Christensen swore off meat while attending Quincy College in Illinois.

"I did what most people do when they aren't well-informed: I ate a lot of Raisin Bran and cheese dishes," said the assistant English professor.

She gave up meat to protest animal abuse and support animal rights. The protest didn't endure, but her penchant for tasty vegetables did.

Along the way she learned to prepare a balanced diet, combining several vegetable protein sources to meet her daily requirements. "I eat a lot of pasta and rice with only a small amount of (supplemental) protein," she said.

Nutritional guidelines for healthful eating emphasize abundant servings of fresh vegetables and fruits, bread and pasta, with meat as a side dish or garnish. A commercial iron supplement can replace essential iron normally supplied by eating red meat.

Christensen warned against trying to be a perfect vegetarian. "For a lot of women, it can become another food obsession, another stricture they can put on themselves." She recommends starting simply. "Don't make it too hard or you'll find yourself suddenly running out to buy ground meat again."

Most books on the subject recommend making the transition in phases: the first phase excludes only read meat; later, other meats; then finally eggs and dairy products.

Christensen said she maintains her diet for health reasons, however, she never saw a dramatic change in her body as a result. "I was young when I started, 19 or 20. If I'd made the change when I was older I think I would have (seen changes)."

Donna Stevens switched when she was 16, searching for relief form her migraine headaches. A vegetarian diet helped her. She counsels people seeking alternative therapies to health problems, and works in a health food supermarket in Spring Branch.

Stevens recommends reading several books on the subject before making a switch. One is <I>Diet for a Small Planet<P>, by Frances Moore Lappe, and another is <I>Transition to Vegetarianism<P>, by Dr. Rudolph Ballentine. She said vegetarian cookbooks often provide useful information too.

"Some books urge an increase in fruits and vegetables, but don't include specific information for vegetarians," she said. "<I>Fit for Life<P>is an example. To get (the full complement of) proteins from rice and beans they need to be eaten at the same meal. One at lunch and one at supper doesn't work."

Essential vitamins is another important issue. "When people have a vitamin B deficiency their lips become cracked, their skin is dry and their memory starts going. They (often) can't think clearly," she said. A diet that includes a rich variety of fresh green vegetables can prevent a B vitamin deficiency.

As a vegetarian for more than 18 years, she believes in its benefits, but she isn't forcing this diet on her sons. "I want them to feel comfortable in society, not like they are different. So (many social rituals) revolve around food.

"You can't cut yourself off by not being practical. I used to feel bad because people would say, "Oh, we can't go to that restaurant because you're vegetarian'."For a while she felt self-conscious, then she adapted. "I don't even tell people I'm vegetarian."

Most places have salads or some kind of food she can eat. Only once did she run into a problem. "It was in London at an Arab-owned restaurant that mainly served meat. I asked for a baked potato by itself and they refused." She was shocked, but most places aren't like that.

Another friend went to Paris and learned that even the fanciest four-star restaurants serve delicious vegetable dishes.

Resistance occasionally appears inside a family. When Stevens was pregnant, her husband urged her to eat meat. She didn't want to. "He was afraid I was going to have scrawny kids. I had two nine-pound boys. He had to eat his words."

Besides health and ethical reasons, people often cite spiritual reasons for vegetarianism. Lex Gillan, of the Yoga Institute on Portsmouth, said he explains the benefits and the downside. "Diet is a very personal thing," he said. "But when people begin a purification process, the diet follows. As the consciousness lightens up, so does the diet. Heavy meats fall away naturally."

Vegetarianism has its benefits, but Stevens and other vegetarians admit it isn't for everyone.

MABUZA SPEAKS ON THE FUTURE OF HER COUNTRY

Lindiwe Mabuza, the African National Congress' chief representative in the United States, is in Houston to garner support and money for the ANC.

Born in Newcastle, Natal Province, in 1938, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English and Zulu literature from Roma University in 1961. From 1962 to 1964, she taught English and Zulu literature at a high school in Swaziland.

From there she came to the United States, where she obtained a Master of Art in English Literature from Stanford University, in 1966. She then went on to receive a Master of Arts in American Studies from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis in 1968.

From 1969 to 1976, she was part of the first team to start a Black Studies program at Ohio University as an assistant professor at the center for African-American Studies.

During the late seventies, she was a radio journalist with the ANC's Radio Freedom, which broadcasted programs into South Africa from Luska, Zambia. She was also the Editor of VOW (Voice of Women), a publication of the ANC's women's section.

From 1979 to 1988, she was the chief representative of the ANC to Scandinavia. She oversaw the establishing of three offices in Denmark, Norway and Finland.

And as her strong education in literature might suggest, she is also a poet who has published poetry in five languages. She also edited MILIBONGWE, a journal of poetry by ANC women and, <I>One Never Knows<P>, a short story anthology by South African Women. Her own book of poetry, <I>Letter to Letta<P>, has also been published.

She will be in Houston through Saturday, then she flies back to Washington D.C. She will give a presentation today in the Cougar Den at the UH University Center at 2 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Black Student Union, International Student Organization and the Committee for a Free South Africa. She will also speak at Texas Southern University's Thurgood Marshall Law Center, Thursday at 3 p.m., and at a breakfast at the Seafarers Hall, sponsored by the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists.

COUGARS GET LUCKEY WITH 62-61 WIN IN OPENER

The defense that failed the Lady Cougar basketball team for the first 35 minutes of Wednesday night's game, came through in the end for a 62-61 win over the Rina basketball club of Lithuania.

Freshman Pat Luckey had 13 points and 18 rebounds to lead the Cougars. Michelle Harris had 11 points and 10 rebounds on the night.

It wasn't until the last five minutes of the second half that the pieces of the Cougar puzzle started to fit. With nine minutes left to play Nater Dunn, Harris and Luckey had three consecutive scoring drives to the basket. This sparked the Cougars' comeback.

Coach Jessie Kenlaw admitted that the game was a hard-fought battle but she would gladly take the win.

"They held things together out there despite the fact that we had three freshman on the court," Kenlaw said. "We were fortunate to get the win, but we didn't like what we saw out there."

What she and the 120 other spectators saw was a Cougar team plagued with weak defense and poor rebounding.

Ironically, an aspect of their game that had been off all night helped the Cougars hang on for the win. They were 13 of 25 from the free-throw line.

Dunn sank two free throws with 12 seconds left to play. She tied the game at 61, and the Cougars played tough defense to close out the game.

The Rina team took control early with Zieduna Cijuncikiene leading the way. She led the Lithuanian team with 11 points and 11 rebounds. The Cougars were not getting back on defense quick enough and at the half were down 32-27.

Some of the difficulties the Cougars had can be attributed to the fact that they only have nine healthy players. That poses a slight problem for Kenlaw.

"We only need five players on the court at a time," Kenlaw said. "As long as we can concentrate on keeping everybody okay, we will make it."

One of the interesting aspects of the game was the Luckey's performance.

"I just told my three freshman that they had just been initiated into college basketball tonight," Kenlaw said.

"Pat is a very smart player and she knew that she had made mistakes and was able to correct them."

COUGARS "DRAIN" LATIVA 98-78

Houston coach Alvin Brooks made his debut on the basketball court sidelines Wednesday night. But he wouldn't let himself savor the 98-78 victory, his first as a head coach, over the visiting Latvia National Team at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Instead, he considered it a relief just to be playing.

"I don't have (my first win) yet," Brooks said. "That (game) just goes in the personal memory bank. It was good to finally play against some competition."

The Latvia team came to the court with intensity, playing harder than what the score indicated. The Cougars, after four weeks of practicing against each other, were ready to play somebody else.

As a result, the fouls rained down on both teams, which combined to step to the free-throw line 69 times and drag the game on for more than two hours.

Despite the pace, Houston was able to show its stuff. Senior point guard Anthony Goldwire led the team with 24 points and nine assists and had some spectacular drives to the basket.

Forward Jesse Drain was on fire, going 9-of-17 with three three-pointers for 22 points. Lee College transfer Hershel Wafer showed he might be one to watch during the regular season in scoring 14 points on an acrobatic 5-of-6 shooting and collecting two blocks in 21 minutes.

But as with any new team under a new coach, the mistakes were evident.

"We have to do a much better job of rebounding and blocking out," Brooks said. Latvia out-rebounded Houston 50-38. "Overall I'm pleased. We're ahead of schedule actually."

Fortunately for the Cougars, this was only an exhibition game.

The first half resembled a territorial war more than a basketball game. The friendliness exhibited during the pre-game ritual of trading gifts was gone once the teams took the court, evidenced by the 31 fouls and three technicals the teams combined for.

Drain took control for the Cougars with 5-of-10 shooting, including 2-of-3 three-pointers, to give Houston a 48-37 advantage at the half.

But the messy first half forced referees to become international mediators to temper the somewhat heated emotions.

At one point, the referee called Goldwire, UH's captain, off the bench to discuss the extracurricular activity.

"He told us to clean up the fouls," Goldwire said. "He said he would suspend the game if the flagrant fouls continued."

They did, he didn't, and the Cougars got the win.

JAPANESE DANCE DEBUTS FRIDAY

by Tom Vinh

Of the many forms of creative expression, arguably the most evocative is the dance.

The Japanese dance troupe, Sankai Juku, which specializes in the dance form Butoh, will be making its debut in Houston this weekend.

The troupe is only the second generation of dancers that performs the unique art of Butoh, which emerged in the late 1950s in post-war Japan.

The expression by dance was an attempt by the performers to let out their anger and frustrations, as well as demands, for a better Japan to rise from the ashes. And two of the most prevalent themes are those of darkness and light.

It is a mesmerizing perform-ance, much like that of the Kodo drummers, perhaps more so.

Sankai Juku perform <I>Shijima (The Darkness Calms Down in Space)<P>, a breathtaking and exquisitely fluid display by four dancers in white makeup. <I>Shijima<P> made its debut at Le Theatre de la Ville in Paris in 1988. The primary theme seems to be transformation and metamorphosis.

The performance consists of one act composed of several scenes, each intended to leave a distinct impression in the minds of the audience.

Sankai Juku’s artistic director is Ushio Amagatsu, who also participates in the dances and organized the choreography. One of his goals – he said in a recent interview – is to inject wonder, innocence and the joy of life into the dancers’ performances.

It is an effort to offset some of the ominous and somber images often associated with Butoh performances.

A balance is often struck between that of free-form movement against restraint, and that of discipline and control of the body. There is a naturalness in the movements of the dancer; like tall grass bending with the wind.

Houston rarely has the opportunity to experience the magic of Butoh dance, and Sankai Juku does not tour the U.S. often. You should not miss this performance, particularly if you’re a devoted dance enthusiast.