MANDELA SPEAKS IMPORTANT FOR ALL

As South Africa heads into an uncertain future, Pathfinder Press seeks to capture its essence by looking at one of its great leaders.

Over the years, much has been made of Nelson Mandela as symbolic leader of the movement for a democratic South Africa. Maligned by some, revered by others, but respected by all, the man freed Feb. 2, 1990 after 27 years in prison is the person looked to for advice as well as consent. Mandela’s words can incite or quell millions. His voice is one of the only ones on Earth that can unite a nation in harmony or foment a race war.

In <I>Nelson Mandela Speaks: Forging A Democratic, Non-racial South Africa<P>, readers get to hear about the man Mandela in his own words.

Collected here are speeches covering a broad spectrum of topics. From ANC committee meetings to the U.S. Congress to Cuba to the streets of Harlem, the speeches he makes show a Mandela seeking to address the myriad problems affecting the struggle for liberation in South Africa and its relationship with international liberation struggles.

It is hardly as simple as it may sound, and with lives at stake, the pressure on Mandela is all the more burdensome. These speeches show a man reflecting on the past and hopeful for the future.

<I>Nelson Mandela Speaks<P> covers the many issues involved in forging a democratic South Africa. For example, in "Our Struggle is Against All Forms of Racism," Mandela tackles questions of organizational unity in opposition to apartheid, especially in terms of ideological and physical disputes with the Inkatha Freedom Party and Pan Africanist Congress.

With each chapter split up into individual speeches, <I>Nelson Mandela Speaks<P>, outlines the history of the ANC, its strategies and plan for democracy. Whether it's through coalition-building, goal-setting or striving for consensus, the ANC's inner-workings are dissected as never before.

Equally illuminated is the regime's history of massacres, politics and repression. The stories Mandela relates in his speeches are almost too painful to read. What is harder to accept is that the stories he tells, whether 1961 or 1991, have changed very little over the years.

Mandela's retention and recitation of facts for each of his speeches is impeccable. Particularly impressive is his ability to color his speeches and bring to life the struggles with this knowledge.

<I>Nelson Mandela Speaks<P>, one of the newest texts on the civil rights leader, promises to be one of the better collections on Mandela.

*******************************************************

ATHEIST EXPOSES PREISTLY HABIT

by Jason Jaeger

The recent publicity the Catholic Church has received concerning charges of child molestation and sexual abuse against Cardinal Joseph Bernadin is making Don Sanders' job a little easier.

"Well, this week has certainly not been a good one for the church, especially for the Roman Catholic Church. The Pope slipped on the hem of his gown, fell and dislocated a shoulder, and there didn't seem to be an angel standing by to catch his fall. Gee, where's an angel when you need one?" Sanders said on his Dial-A-Gay-Atheist phone line.

Sanders is the national director of the American Gay and Lesbian Atheists organization.

He said he started the free local phone line in 1980 as an inexpensive way to get information across and "kelter" religion-dominated views.

During the week of Nov. 15 through 21, Sanders presented excerpts from two handwritten letters he received from a man who had studied to become a priest. He said the man, who he would not name at this time, had been orally sodomized by a priest while sleeping in the seminary. Sanders said the individual left the priesthood and became a professor at a Catholic university in the Midwest. While there, he became involved in a sexual underground with priests where he received the letters, Sanders said.

In the 1970s, the former priest tried to get the letters published in the Milwaukee Journal, but the paper refused to print them, Sanders said.

Sanders said he made a deal with the man to release the letters, but was threatened by a Catholic hit squad. However, he said he may release the letters in the next six months.

Chancellor of the Galveston-Houston Diocese Father Daniel Scheel said "there are all kinds of crazy people making crazy accusations."

He said he was not familiar with the letters or a sexual underground.

UH Catholic Minister Father Paul Gallagher agreed with Scheel. Gallagher and said he has no knowledge of a sexual underground but said that it would not be impossible for it to exist.

GEOGRAPHY MINORS LOST, COURSES OK

Despite efforts by the National Geographic Society to generate interest in geography, a recent Gallop survey shows U.S. students lack geographic knowledge or interest compared to other countries. Yet, UH's Undergraduate Council has made a proposal to eliminate the geography minor altogether.

The proposed elimination of the remainder of the geography program (the department was phased out in 1982) comes during a campaign to increase American students' knowledge of the world. The National Geographic Society has spent more than $70 million since 1985 on a nationwide campaign to drum up interest in geography among elementary and high-school students.

In a Gallop survey, students in Italy, Mexico and the then-Soviet Union scored lower than U.S. students, who rounded out the bottom third of the 10 countries surveyed.

The UH proposal, approved by the Undergraduate Council Nov. 17, has not yet reached the desk of Glenn Aumann, senior vice-president of Academic Affairs.

Aumann's recomendation on the status of the geography minor will be considered by President James Pickering who will make the final decision.

College of Social Sciences Dean Harrell Rodgers said the elimination of the minor won't affect many students. "We have no choice but to make tough decisions. We've lost more than 20 percent of our budget. So we could either do 100 percent mediocre or make decisions to eliminate some things and maintain the high quality of what we keep," Rodgers said.

Victor Mote is an associate professor of geography but is in the Political Science Department. He said when the department was "liquidated" in the '80s the tenure-track professors were assigned to complimentary departments and geography courses were maintained. He added that courses will continue to be offered, despite the elimination of the minor.

Aumann said, "If (the undergraduate council has) the justification -- lack of student interest et cetera.-- I would have to reserve my judgement until I see (the proposal)."

Mote said there are four geography minors but "students have expressed an interest in minoring as late as today." More than 90 students are enrolled in his human use of the earth course, a core curriculum requirement for a B.A. in Social Sciences. "I've never had less than 35 and sometimes have had more than 120 students," the 22-year UH veteran said.

As to the importance of maintaining geography courses, Mote said there has "never been any question in my mind. There are students who are spatially illiterate."

Aumann said the number of students and faculty, along with the availability of funds were all determining factors that affected the program's status.

Students who complete the requirements for a geography minor by the end of the fall '93 semester will not be affected by any changes to the program.

QUILT A PATCHWORK OF ENDURING MEMORIES

You don't have to have AIDS to feel the power of The Quilt. You just have to have a heart.

This statement greeted those who viewed the quilt.

by Annette Baird

Propelled by a close friend’s death from AIDS, Cleve Jones was searching for a permanent way to remember friends.

In June 1987, Jones met with six other people who had lost friends, lovers or family members to AIDS. His intent was to create something that would serve as a lasting symbol of love and remembrance to those who died. The NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt was born.

Mary Fisher, an AIDS activist who is HIV positive, compares the quilt to the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial in Washington, D.C. But to Fisher there's one very real difference.

"Unlike the memorial, the quilt continues to grow by the day," Fisher said.

When first displayed in October 1987 on Capitol Mall, Washington, D.C., the quilt’s 1,920 panels covered an area equivalent to two football fields. A panel is three by six feet -- about grave size.

The NAMES Project’s mission is three-fold. The quilt provides a positive and creative means of expression for those whose lives have been touched by the AIDS pandemic. It provides an ongoing history of the disease by illustrating the enormity of the problem. Finally, the quilt is used to raise funds for people and their families living with AIDS.

When viewing the quilt, names and images jump out indiscriminately – each panel tells a story or something about the person memorialized.

One panel, splayed with glitter and sequins, is an extravagant memorial, perhaps echoing the personality of the person it pays tribute to – Jack Marnin. Charles Richard Tigne's quilt has photos of him surrounded by friends and family members at the Vatican, Lake Tahoe and Paris. The one that holds a letter from Jim to Ronald J. Corcoran is a poignant reminder of the senselessness of the suffering and premature death AIDS brings. It recollects the wonderful times they had together and the love they shared.

"To be enshrined on a panel of the quilt is no peculiar honor, nor is it any shame. It is merely to be remembered – no more, no less," Fisher said.

The quilt travels in sections around the country and has been displayed more than 700 times, inspiring many kinds of events and themes. Thus far, it has raised more than $1.5 million.

A small portion of the quilt with about 100 panels, many of them from the Jewish community, was recently shown as part of "Compassion and Truth" – a week-long exhibition at the Jewish Community Center.

While the quilt represents only a small fraction of the AIDS deaths, it continues to beckon people to remember and respond.

COOGS FACE TOUGHEST FOE YET

Houston will face its toughest test of the young basketball season when faceless Southwest Missouri State enters Hofheinz Pavilion for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off.

The Bears and Cougars pit similar 1-0 records in a first-ever meeting against each other. Houston beat Akron 69-53 Saturday and SMSU topped the University of Missouri—Kansas City 75-62.

The Bears have been successful without the benefit of a high-profile player, which certainly makes anonymity a plus, especially after coming off a 20-11 season and reaching the quarterfinals of the NIT.

"I knew when we scheduled them, not too many knew about them," said Houston coach Alvin Brooks. "It's a team that will probably win 20 games again and go to postseason play."

Much of that reasoning has to do with junior guard Johnny Murdock's play. He scored 24 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the Bears' season opener, continuing where he left off last year when he led the team in scoring.

"He can shoot the ball well. Their offense is set around him," said Cougar guard Lloyd Wiles. "It's going to be a big job as a team to contain him."

The Cougars must also worry about 6-5, 220-pound Terry Alexander, who poses an outside scoring threat, and Tim Axley, a 6-5 senior guard who had 15 points and seven assists against UMKC.

Anthony Goldwire and Jesse Drain are carrying the bulk of Houston's offense. They scored 19 and 23 points respectively in the victory over Akron, going a combined 9-of-13 from three-point range. No other Cougar reached double figures.

"Offensively, we bogged down and stood around a lot," Brooks said. "We quit running our break and the result was six or seven minutes where we couldn't score. Defensively, we're in pretty good shape."

Houston had 15 steals in Saturday's game and forced 28 turnovers.

In a move to solidify his bench, Brooks will be meeting with Donald Douglas today to offer him a spot on the roster as a walk-on. Douglas played free safety on the football team this year and hasn't played basketball since high school.

SPIKERS LAND 3RD STRAIGHT NCAA BID

Ask coach Bill Walton if he was slightly nervous Sunday night while waiting for the NCAA tournament bids to be announced and he’ll admit that he was.

Just a little bit, of course.

Now that the worrying is over, the Cougar volleyball team has packed its bags and is on the way to South Carolina today to play the Clemson Tigers in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Wednesday.

"Waiting did make for some tense moments," coach Walton said. "There is no guarantee when you leave things like that up to a committee."

The committee chose to pit the Tigers, who finished in second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference with a 27-7 record, against the Cougars. The Cougars finished in third place in the Southwest Conference with a 19-15 record.

An NCAA bid wasn't really on the minds of the Cougars at the beginning of the season. The team was 3-11 for the first half of the season and then turned things around, winning 16 of their last 20 games.

Senior Ashley Mulkey has been with the Cougars for the past four years and isn't too concerned about the tournament.

"When we were 3-11 it wasn't a lot of fun to play, but we knew that we would come together," Mulkey said. "I wasn't worried that we wouldn't get a bid. Earlier in the season we never really discussed us going to the tournament."

This is the third consecutive year the Cougars have made it to the NCAA tournament. In 1992, the Cougars lost to Illinois State and in 1991, they lost to Louisiana State – both in the first round.

A key to the Cougars gaining a postseason bid was their win over No. 17 Georgia in Athens in five games.

"It was critical beating Georgia," Walton said. "The Georgia coach was on the South Regional Committee and saw us beat his team on the road.

"By beating one of the top teams in the country, that validates our winning streak. We needed something to make them forget the beginning of the season."

NO. 6 LADY TIGERS SKIN COUGARS 70-55

Auburn senior forward Danielette Coleman poured in 21 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead the sixth-ranked Lady Tigers to a 70-55 win over the Lady Cougars in the championship game of the Hobby Hilton Classic Sunday afternoon in Hofheinz Pavilion.

Auburn improved to 2-0 for the year while Houston fell to 1-1.

The Cougars were within four points at halftime, but a 14-3 Auburn run in the first six minutes of the second half gave the Tigers a comfortable 15-point lead for most of the final 14 minutes.

Houston managed to cut the lead to 10 on two occasions, but never got it back to single digits.

Four Auburn players scored in double-figures, including 11 from sophomore guard Kristen Mulligan, an all-tournament honoree.

Houston senior guard Michelle Harris, also an all-tournament selection, led Houston with 15 points, five assists and four steals.

Freshmen Pat Luckey contributed seven points and ten rebounds and Nater Dunn had six points and three rebounds.

Houston next faces cross-town rival Texas Southern on Wednesday, Dec. 1, at the TSU Arena. Tip-off is slated for 5 p.m.

HELTON TO STAFF: YOU'RE OUTTA HERE

Houston head coach Kim Helton made drastic changes in his coaching staff Monday, just three days after Houston finished a 1-9-1 season with a 37-7 loss to Rice.

Recruiting coordinator Bruce Davis, receivers coach Ron Shanklin, offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek and defensive backs coach Melvin Robertson were fired from their positions on the coaching staff.

Tony Fitzpatrick, defensive tackles coach, and defensive ends coach Ben Hurt were reassigned to administrative roles, mainly to help with recruiting.

Helton was tight-lipped as he sat at the press conference to deliver the bad news.

"We've all had some difficult things to do in life," he said. "This rates up there as one of the most difficult (for me). I have great remorse for what has had to happen for us to move on.

"These are great men and they handled it like pros."

When Helton was hired after spring drills, a stipulation of his employment was that he use the staff and the system already in place. He was allowed one change, replacing special teams coach Tommy Kaiser, now at Texas Tech, with Frank Gansz.

"The fair thing for those coaches was to allow them to continue coaching through the end of the season," said athletic director Bill Carr. "Now (Helton) has the prerogative of filling his staff with his choices."

Helton said he would begin interviewing for the vacant coaching positions as early as next week.

He added that he did not yet know how he would realign the coaching staff, but he did say that Hurt, Fitzpatrick and running backs coach Danny Palmer would handle the recruiting, and offensive coordinator Neal Callaway would not be coaching the quarterbacks next season.

"You have to win the Southwest Conference," Helton said. "It's the standard by which the state of Texas measures coaching and football teams."

Robertson was the most storied of the coaches. He was the Cougars' defensive coordinator between 1967—71 under former coach Bill Yeoman after serving two years coaching the secondary.

He returned to Houston as linebackers coach in 1991 as a part of John Jenkins' staff and was promoted to defensive coordinator the next year.

Robertson remained the coordinator under Helton, but he was demoted to secondary coach after Houston's 42-21 loss to Michigan. Linebackers coach Gene Smith replaced him.

Davis, 46, and Vinklarek, 34, both arrived at Houston with Jack Pardee, now the coach of the Houston Oilers. Shanklin was hired last year by Jenkins.

Hurt, 60, who began his collegiate coaching at Houston with Robertson in 1965, returned in 1984 with Yeoman. Fitzpatrick, 32, first came to Houston on Pardee's 1988 team.

Danny Palmer is now the only active coach left from the earlier regimes.

"I feel very fortunate to be a part of a new beginning," said Palmer, who coaches the running backs. "Kim created an atmosphere that was relaxed, business-like and you enjoyed being around him."

DRINK IN NEW COLLINS

by Maryelaine Eckerle

Paul Collins is back!

For those of you who remember The Beat and The Nerves, the Paul Collins Band's first release <I>From Town to Town<P> is a good way to get re-acquainted. For those of you who don't, this disk is an excellent way to get acquainted.

<I>From Town to Town<P>, is to say the least, short. At a little over 33 minutes in length one almost wonders, "what's the point?"

After listening to the first track, it is easy to understand what the point was. Collins really knows how to write and sing good ol' rock 'n' roll.

The Paul Collins Band, comprised of Paul Collins (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Arthur Lenin (lead guitar, vocals), Rick Wagner (bass, vocals) and Will Rigby (drums, percussion), has a sound not unlike the Everly Brothers. On at least three of the ten tracks there is a sound that brings to mind "Bye-Bye Love."

"While It's Gonna Be A Long Time" is an original from Collins' pen. It is the vocal talents of Collins and Lenin that has that particular Everlyesque sound. Another tune, a six-second "The Engagement," is actually an almost outtake from the opening of "I'm Getting Married," which was penned by Collins on his wedding day.

This music is uncomplicated and pleasing to the ear. The listener is encouraged by the music to be happy, to be upbeat and to be cheerful. <I>From Town to Town<P> is danceable and fun. This is definitely one to add to your music collection.