COOGS TAKE ON GATORS IN NCAA'S 2ND ROUND

Daliy Cougar Staff

When the Houston Cougar volleyball team defeated the Clemson Tigers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Wednesday night in South Carolina, they did something that had never been done before.

They guaranteed themselves safe passage to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Cougars are now 20 and 15 on the year, having won nine out of their last 10 games.

After sweeping the Tigers 15-11, 15-10 and 15-10, the Cougars move on to play the Florida Gators Saturday at Gainesville, Fla., a team the Cougars played and lost to at Hofheinz Pavilion on Sept. 17 during the regular season.

"We have a little more motivation than Florida does," coach Bill Walton said. "We want to show them that we are a better team now than we were then."

That should be an easier task than it was back in September. Then the Cougars were struggling to win just one game at a time. Their record was a lowly 2-6 with nowhere else to go but up.

And up they went to reach their present place in the tournament.

In addition to the Cougars making it past the first round of NCAA tournament, the Texas A&M Aggies and the No. 2 Texas Longhorns also are moving on up.

In a classic Southwest Conference showdown, the Longhorns and Aggies face off in Austin on Saturday.

"The fact that three schools in the SWC have made to the tournament shows the strength of the team's in the SWC,"coach Walton said.

Coach Walton said that the true test of SWC schools will be for the schools within the conference to beat each other.

"If we could beat teams in the conference, it would certainly help SWC teams gain respect," coach Walton said. "Besides Duke, the other teams in the Atlantic Coast Conference aren't that good."

The Cougars advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 1989, 1991 and 1992 but lost in the first round all three years.

"I don't really dwell on what we have done in the past," coach Walton said. "The team had an excellent attitude and was fired up against Clemson. It was a total team effort."

Lilly Denoon had 19 kills on the night, more than any other SWC player in a NCAA Tournament game.

"Lilly had a great performance and Wendy Munzel had an excellent night hitting," coach Walton said. "The team as a whole blocked very well."

*******************************************************

ROAD WORK WREAKS HAVOC ON TRAFFIC

If University of Houston students and faculty want to complain about destroyed and congested roads around campus, they should go straight to the City of Houston.

Cullen and Elgin boulevards are undergoing a face-lift that started two weeks ago and will last until August. Maintenance to the sewer, curbs and medians is also planned.

The plan is for the west side of Elgin to be broken up and re-paved all the way to Lockwood. After the west side is completed, crews will then begin construction on the east side. It is estimated that construction on the east side will begin in April.

Associate Vice Chancellor James Berry said UH students and faculty will have some of the problems alleviated once construction has switched from the west side of Elgin to the east.

"Because this is a City of Houston project we will probably gain dual occupancy with cars able to travel down both sides of the road," Berry said.

If travelers are looking for a road less traveled, during the construction project they should take the Scott Street exit from I-45 as opposed to Cullen, and come across Holman or Wheeler.

The road construction however, has nothing to do with the construction that has begun on the new athletic facility.

"There should not be any significant change in the paths of UH students," Berry said.

The most immediate construction on the facility will begin on the tennis courts located on Cullen and Elgin.

Berry said actions will be taken to ensure that students will have as few hassles as possible. These actions include protected walkways from Garrison and Melcher Gym to the baseball field and tennis courts.

"There might be slight obstructions, but we will try do to everything possible for the students," Berry said.

D.E Harvey Builders was commissioned by the University of Houston to begin construction on the athletic facility. They were given $19.6 million to start the project.

CHARGES TURN AROUND WITH GUN ASSAULT

When Sheba Jones allegedly pulled a handgun on Lawrence Caudell on Oct. 22 during a dispute over a parking space, she just wanted a place to park.

Caudell, a junior pharmacy major, filed charges against Jones, a sophomore biology major. She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Jones' arraignment was Thursday, but the case is far from final for Caudell.

After further review of the case by UHPD, Caudell was referred to the Dean of Students' office for possible violations of student life policies.

He faces charges of "disturbing the peace" and "mental or bodily harm" stemming from the incident.

According to the Student Handbook, mental or bodily harm, a violation with a maximum sanction of expulsion, includes actions that demean, degrade or disgrace a person or the intentional infliction of mental or bodily harm.

Disturbing the peace carries a maximum penalty of disciplinary probation for the student.

"I've been victimized once (by Jones) and now I feel like I'm being victimized again," Caudell said.

If the Dean's Office accepts the charges against Caudell, he does have the right to appeal the decision, said Kathy Anzivino, assistant dean of students.

Caudell said he doesn't regret filing the initial charges against Jones, but he said if the charges against him are accepted, "No other student will ever come forward again if they're going to get punished."

Though criminal charges are pending against Jones and charges of violating student life policies are pending against Caudell, neither one wound up with the parking space.

AIDS SPEAKER GIVES OUT LOVE, ADVICE TO NATIONAL AUDIENCE

by Annette Baird

Mary Fisher, founder of the Family AIDS Network, maintains a gruelling schedule.

She is a woman with a mission, traveling throughout the country, sometimes making as many as five appearances a day in churches, schools and honoraria. She said telling her story became a way in which she could help afflicted communities.

Catapulted into the limelight after she went public in February 1992 with her own story of how she contracted HIV, she has since embarked on a personal crusade to reach out to the sick and ignorant.

After her eloquent and moving speech at the 1992 Republican Convention, where she pleaded for greater tolerance for AIDS sufferers, Fisher's role as an AIDS activist has become increasingly significant.

By April 1992, Fisher's Family AIDS Network had come into existence. The organization addresses three areas–increasing community awareness, providing care-giver support and awarding pioneer research grants.

Recently speaking in Houston, Fisher, a 46-year-old mother of two young boys, spoke of her work, life and struggles.

Born into wealth and privilege, she is considered an unlikely candidate to contract the virus. But then again, there are no stereotypes for HIV, Fisher said.

"All of us are at risk from HIV," she said.

Fisher contracted the virus from her former husband, late artist Brian Campbell, who got the virus from syringes during his abuse of intravenous drugs. Campbell died from AIDS in June. Fortunately, both of their children, Max, now six, and four-year-old Zachary, are healthy.

Looking relaxed and healthy with a sparkle in her eyes, Fisher, herself a nationally recognized artist who specializes in papermaking, remains symptom-free and takes no medication. Although, she said laughingly, her mother would like Fisher to take vitamins.

Remaining optimistic and drawing inspiration from others is the key to Fisher's high energy level and motivation for taking her message to those willing to listen. Fisher said to keep the public's interest in AIDS from waning, the media must take an active role in keeping it on the public agenda.

"It's up to (the media) to figure out ways to get the message to the people," Fisher said. "It has to be interesting and creative, not sensational."

She gave an example of hiring someone who is HIV-positive to write a column on a regular basis.

Fisher also stresses the importance of government leaders taking a public stand.

"HIV/AIDS is not a partisan issue," Fisher said. "Political leaders have to stay away from making moral judgements."

Knowing that she doesn't have as much time as she would like, Fisher said there is an intensity in her life which is at times frightening.

Moving easily through the crowd of Houstonians who had come to listen to her speak, Fisher paused to hug well-wishers and those who simply want to feel her warmth.

"Everyone wants to hug Mary Fisher," said Tracy Presock, Fisher's assistant.

In her speech at the opening ceremony for AIDS Memorial Quilt display, Fisher brought tears to many audience members' eyes. She said the speech was not a call for pity but for compassion.

Soon, when the next day begins, Fisher will continue her gruelling schedule and move on to speak in another town.

AIDS VICTIM PREPARES FOR PREMATURE DEATH

by Debbie Callier

It is hard not to be angry and feel cheated when one is young and dying. Tony knows this firsthand.

In 1987, Tony was diagnosed as HIV-positive. For the next three to four years, this 30-year-old man was fairly healthy.

Then, gradually, reality crumbled. Tony's friends with AIDS began to die painful deaths. Rashes appeared on Tony's skin. His coughs turned into pneumonia.

Last summer, tuberculosis and a week-long fever of 104 degrees made him delirious.

"It fried my brain," he said. "After I got out, it took me about a month to get my memory back in order." Friends visited, but Tony said he doesn't recall seeing them.

AIDS is an angry disease because so many people refuse to acknowledge that everyone is at risk, Tony said.

"You feel that society doesn't care because it's a minority disease (with) IV drug users, gays and blacks in Africa (being) the ones with the disease," he said. "The truth is anyone who has sex is at risk."

As of June 1993, 315,390 diagnosed cases have been reported to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia, with 36,690 cases of afflicted women and 4,710 cases of children under 13.

Tony said like many people faced with terrible frustration, he wanted to vent his anger when he was diagnosed with the virus. He said he blamed his doctor, family, the government and society.

After failing to curb his anger, Tony finally found a school of self-awareness in Atlanta, called The Realization of Being, which has helped him focus on making psychological and spiritual changes within himself.

"As I've quit blaming other people and taken responsibility for my life, I have become more peaceful," he said.

"You're thinking about how much time you have left and what you want to do with that time. In one regard it makes you want to live life fuller, but it still doesn't ease the pain of knowing your time is limited.

"Every time I cough now, I wonder if it's going to turn into a horrendous disease. It makes you self-conscious and self-centered because you don't feel well, and you're dealing with the fear of dying, the fear of the unknown and the pain of dying."

The pain is both mental and physical. Tony said that one point during his bout with tuberculosis, the pain became so overwhelming that he wanted to die right then. "I was ready to leave this planet, and I sincerely asked God to take me," he said. "When I said that, I could feel my body letting go, but it was like I was 70 percent ready to leave and 30 percent not.

"The next day, I woke up feeling better, which scared me," he said. "I was relating so closely to the pain that it was weeks before I was thankful to be alive again."

Tony said the disease has narrowed his friendship circles. "You pull away out of fear of causing someone else pain," he said.

One of Tony's best friends died a year ago at the age of 32. Tony said he couldn't bear watching his friend–who had been so full of life–wasting away until he looked like a shriveled 90-year-old. Tony said he doesn't want other people to feel that anguish for him.

"(The disease) is self-punishment and self-torture," he said. "You start putting yourself in that bed, and then you say, 'I don't want to live like that, die like that or look like that."

While in the hospital last summer, Tony said he became outraged by certain tests and procedures.

"One time I woke up half way through a procedure where they put saline solution down in my lungs and thought I was drowning." Tony decided to take charge of what happened to him after that.

"They will never again stick another tube down my throat into my lungs," he said. "If I'm going to die, why go through that again? Recently Tony refused a test he considered both painful and unnecessary. When he took a stand with his doctor, asking him if the test was absolutely necessary, the doctor admitted that it was not.

Taking a stand for himself and caring about his body is a stretch for Tony.

"Some people have major illness and then think they'll take care of their bodies," he said. "(Yet) when you have a terminal illness, you might take care of your body, but how long is it going to last?"

Although he wrestles with the concept, he says knowing his time on Earth is severely limited has motivated him to face other issues. "I want to be in best possible state of mind when I die," he said. "I want to be peaceful and satisfied with the time I've had here. I want to leave without regrets, and to be more loving and giving than I was. I don't want to leave this planet feeling angry, right and blameless."

Tony, unlike most people his age, must face the realization he is headed for premature death. He faces this regardless of whether he considers himself cheated or angry.

LONG WINDING ROAD AHEAD

UH STARTS TOUGH TRIP AGAINST WITH HAWKEYE CLASSIC

Two games into the season, the Houston basketball squad is sitting on a .500 record with a hellish road schedule looming ahead.

The four-game trip begins Friday in Iowa City, Iowa, where the Cougars (1-1) face Long Beach State (2-0) in the Hawkeye Classic. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. and can be heard on 950 AM KPRC radio.

The winner of the Cougars-49ers game will play the winner of the Iowa Hawkeyes-Lehigh Engineers matchup in the championship game Saturday at 8 p.m. The consolation game is set for 6 p.m. Sunday.

From there, Houston travels to Nacogdoches Tuesday to play Stephen F. Austin and Indianapolis Dec. 10 to face 14th-ranked Purdue.

How does coach Alvin Brooks keep his team in focus?

"We're taking the approach where we're playing two games (this weekend) and taking one game at a time."

Sound method, but even for Brooks' young team the schedule can be intimidating. Especially if you consider that waiting for the Cougars' return from the road will be UCLA, currently No. 10 in the nation.

Yet Brooks said he feels his team is just a week or two away from jelling into offensive consistency, an area in which it has struggled the previous two games.

Senior point guard Anthony Goldwire and forward Jessie Drain have carried the bulk of the offense, even though junior college transfer Hershel Wafer stepped in with 14 points in the 71-65 loss to Southwest Missouri State Thursday when Drain struggled.

"I told them after Thursday night's game not to get their heads down," Brooks said. "We've got other guys capable of scoring.

"When you have senior point guards and a young team, you see the senior point guards tend to struggle. You have to take your time and get everyone involved," he said.

Brooks said the key is to get the running game back on track after playing two teams that used slow-down tactics effectively against the Cougars.

Long Beach State won 22 games last year and poses another threat to Houston. The Cougars lead the series 2-1, but the 49ers won the last meeting 71-65 in 1987.

"They've got athletes," Brooks said. "They went into Kansas and beat Kansas at their place last year.

"It's going to be another tough game. It's not going to get any easier from here."

And the road winds on.