NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT

DESCHMOG TAKES ALTERNATIVE, PLEASANTLY CHANGES IT

by Tony Lanman

<I>Guy: "deSchmog"<P>

<I>Dumb Guy: "Uh, what?"<P>

<I>Guy: "deSchmog"<P>

<I>Dumb Guy: "Uh, the frog?"<P>

<I>Guy: "No, deSchmog"<P>

<I>Dumb Guy: "Uh, what about my rod?"<P>

Sound familiar? If it does then it's time you got off your duff and did something for <I>you<P>! It's time for you to search out deSchmog.

The band deSchmog has been around for about three years, although its actual beginnings are a bit of a mystery. The band is Kilian Sweeney on acoustic guitar and vocals, Brandon Holbrook on electric guitar, Diane Koistinen on vocals, Jonathan Sage on bass and Chris Sweeney on drums.

DeSchmog's music is pop/non-heavy alternative music – early Talking Heads is the only suitable comparison I can come up with.

Kilian started deSchmog as a solo act, playing acoustically at a local club with Sage watching in the audience learning the songs. The recruitment of the rest of the band also took place in this fashion.

First came Holbrook, then Koistinen, then Christian Sweeney who, incidentally, had not played drums before then (which surprised me because he's good for only playing three years).

Their first recording was <I>DeSchmog Anyone?<P> It contained one of my favorite songs of all time, "Earth" (re-record it!).

Then came a studio seven-inch called <I>The New Johnny Bravo<P> after an old Brady Bunch show. They even look like the Brady Bunch on the front cover.

Next came an album that I rank in my top-10 favorites of all time, <I>The deSchmog Fairy Tale<P>.

<I>Fairy Tale<P> is definitely a different take on concept albums from past grand-scale, dramatic concepts like Rush's <I>2112<P> and Queensryche's <I>Operation: Mindcrime<P>.

Here's the short version: Vince meets Verna; their houses burn down; they move to the Montana woodlands and "become convinced that they're happily married;" Verna is secretly unhappy while Vince is "happy as a pig in a new mud bath;" Verna has sex with a wolf in the forest and is caught by Vince; he's depressed; Vince's friend, Philip, comforts him–divorce; Verna moves to New York with the wolf; Vince goes the other way; and they live happily ever after.

Not only is this a great album musically, but the production is excellent for a live recording. Every instrument comes through distinctly and clearly. It's some of the best live production work I've heard, including that from major label bands.

After <I>Fairy Tale<P>, deSchmog decided to put out its first CD, <I>Ed<P>.

<I>Ed<P> was the logical move for deSchmog. It includes 11 new recordings and three bonus tracks lifted from <I>Fairy Tale<P>.

The more interesting songs include "This Number" and "I've Seen A Moon," which incorporates violin (as does "Earth" but that’s not on the album dammit!). In "Take a Chance," Holbrook incorporates a mandolin which gives the song kind of a renaissance-ish sound but still keeps the deSchmog style.

I think Brandon Holbrook, before joining the band, summed it up well when he said, "I know I'm going to like this band because I can't stop laughing."

Lanman is a sophomore RTV major.

*******************************************************

INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL ISSUES TAKE CENTER STAGE

by Matt Waterwall

Students and faculty were treated to a lunch time performance by the theater company, "Here and Now" at the U.C. Arbor Wednesday. The program consisted of a series of vignettes dealing with current social issues and was performed by an all-Asian cast.

"The main purpose of the group is to entertain but the show does have a message," said John Miyasaki, the founder of "Here and Now."

Some of the issues addressed in the program were the L.A. riots, the Tiananmen Square massacre and stereotypes in the Asian community.

"A lot of people don't realize it but there is a lot of division in the Asian community. Most people think that because we possess similar qualities we are all alike and in many ways we are. But there is a lot of prejudice among the Asian cultures," Miyasaki said.

Jimmy Kim, chapter president of Lambda Phi Epsilon, was instrumental in getting the California based troupe to schedule a performance at UH.

"We saw them at our national conference in Santa Barbara last summer and felt that the show would appeal to the students here, particularly to the Asian students," Kim said.

RELAX, FINALS STRESS IS CONTROLLABLE

by Matt Waterwall

The holidays are rapidly approaching and with them, the most emotionally draining period of the year.

In addition to the pressure of the holidays, students and faculty also must bear the pressure of finals. Students may pull all-nighters to pass final exams and salvage what is left of their GPAs. Meanwhile, professors are grading tests and racing to meet deadlines.

Some students relish the added pressure. Adam Demoss, a sophomore history major said, "I perform my best under the gun. I really kind of like the pace at the end of the semester."

Claudia Gutierrez, a junior marketing major, finds stress more taxing. "I lose a lot of sleep around finals time, I usually don't do well on major exams," she said.

There are several avenues available to students and faculty to help them resolve problems before they lose control.

The Counseling and Testing Services, in conjunction with Learning Support Services, conducts self-improvement workshops during the semester, and increases the number of programs around final exam time.

Stress management techniques and overcoming test anxiety were recently outlined in a seminar conducted by Dr. Mary Nickson, a staff psychologist with the CTS.

Some of the methods discussed included tips on time management and effective study skills with emphasis on relaxation exercises and positive thinking.

While these methods may be effective in relieving stress, Nickson said, "nothing will reduce the incidence of anxiety more than being well-prepared."

Nickson's statement echoed the feelings expressed by Amy Howard, a communication disorders major. "If you take care of everything you have to do, you're less likely to feel pressured."

Amy Wortham, project coordinator for the Substance Abuse Training and Education Program said, "... when the pressure is on to produce, ... quality suffers."

Wortham said there are several ways people can combat stress and that they unwittingly engage in activities to reduce stress.

"You can see it all over campus, especially around finals. Students who may not have said a word to each other during the semester all of a sudden start talking. Usually they are complaining about the amount of pressure they are under. This has a positive effect on reducing stress by allowing people to get feelings off of their chests and showing them that they are not alone in their struggle."

STUDENTS FIND ALTERNATIVE TO ATHLETIC DEPT.

by Rosalind Coronado

Despite the money spent on UH athletics, the department does not provide a competitive program for the more than 400 handicapped UH students.

Disabled UH students interested in competitive team sports have to go off campus. In the Houston area, the Texas Institute for Research and Rehabilitation sponsors team sports for people with disabilities

"(The Department of Intramurals) has had a recreational program but not intramurals for handicapped students, partially because of lack of interest and differences in abilities," said Mark Kuhlmann, assistant director of intramurals and recreation at UH.

UH had an active recreation program for handicapped students in the late ’70s that offered swimming, bowling, billiard games, arts and crafts, tennis, riflery, adaptive weight lifting, wheelchair rodeo events, and track and field events.

"There needs to be intramural sports for handicapped (UH) students .... (Handicapped athletes) want to be a part of success," said Jacob Klementich, a philosophy major. "Even if we get skunked ... we are competitive and are willing to do better next time."

Klementich has found an outlet for his competitive nature. He will accompany the TIRR Houston Challenger team to the 1994 National Wheelchair Team Handball Championship in January. The team won national titles in 1985 and 1986. Last year Klementich and the team ranked third and he said he hopes to win a national title this year.

Wheelchair team handball is for athletes with cerebral palsy. The game allows athletes with different levels of ability to participate in a sport that develops physical and social skills. A basketball court with two goals of 9 feet by 5 feet are protected by goalies, like in soccer. The players move the soccer-sized ball down the court by either kicking or dribbling it, explained David Stephenson, president of TIRR sports and coach of the Challenger team.

"The game is a cross between basketball and soccer," said Klementich. "All the players are in wheelchairs, the manual chairs can be either rolled by using your hands or there are some chairs that have no foot rest. Those are the ones I like because you can use your feet."

Power-chairs and manual chairs are used by "The Challengers." These athletes have either cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy or have suffered head injuries. Athletes with spinal cord injuries or amputee athletes are not eligible to compete.

"This is a fast-paced game comparable to hockey," Stephenson said.

Stephenson said he expects the team to perform well, while Klementich expects a team win in the tournament in January.

Klementich is not a stranger to a fight. At 14 he was struck by a car, which resulted in a serious head injury that altered his life. He had to relearn even the most basic tasks, such as walking and talking. With his abilities Klementich is classified as a CP6 (cerebral palsy level six) in handicapped competitions. These classifications match abilities to the different athletic competitions.

Klementich also took on swimming, scuba diving, motorcycle riding and other sports. His desire to compete allowed him to travel to the Barcelona 1992 Paralympics where he played on the U.S. soccer team.

"Barcelona was a real experience," Klementich said. "I made a lot of new friends who are athletes in Spain, the Netherlands and Australia."

After the handball competition Klementich said he hopes to qualify for the cerebral palsy soccer team for the 1996 Paralympics in Atlanta.

David Erickson assistant coordinator of The Center for Students with DisABILITIES said they have been talking to handicapped students about restarting more adaptive athletic activities.

"There has not been a big push for intramural sports for disabled students, but CSD would be happy to bring together interested students and discuss the formation of intramural teams," Erickson said.

To contact the CSD call 743—5400.

LOVING PARENTS TAKE ADOPTION STEP-BY-STEP

Most people don't think about what goes on when a child is given up for adoption. Thus, many don't realize how involved the process really is.

Mills Duncan, an agency administrator at Adoption Information and Counseling Services, said that each year an average of 100,000 people want to adopt children, while 25,000 children require placement.

In Texas, 7,000 adoptions occur yearly – 2,500 of these are done by licensed adoption agencies, Duncan said.

Adoption is not only a legal and physical process but also an extremely thoughtful and emotional process, Duncan said.

Parents wishing to adopt must go through many screenings before being able to adopt.

"First (parents) must find an agency and meet their requirements, such as age or religion desired by the birth parents, Duncan said.

"Then social workers have to study and understand the motivations of the parents who wish to adopt."

This is only the beginning of the cycle. Duncan said that adoptive parents must know the reasons why they want to adopt and must have already dealt with not being able to conceive children themselves.

"A lot of scrutiny goes on," he said.

The birth mother also has many issues she must consider, Duncan said.

"(The birth mother) needs to understand her emotions," he said. She needs to know what (help) is available for her. She also needs to have the opportunity to keep the child if that is what she wants." Duncan also stressed how important it is that the birth parents understand the legal ramifications and seek competent counsel.

The birth parents have many types of adoptions to choose from.

An ‘open adoption’ allows the birth parents to meet the adopting parents. They discuss their wants and needs – the entire process takes place openly.

‘Identified adoption’ occurs when birth and adoptive parents come together and discuss their needs and then contact an adoption placement agency.

In a ‘designated adoption,’ the birth parents select the family they want to adopt their child.

A ‘closed adoption’ keeps everything confidential. Duncan said that though this procedure was popular a few years ago, people nowadays want to be more open with adoption.

"We have seen an increase in open adoptions," Duncan said. "The birth parents have become more involved in helping select the family."

While many believe the stereotype that the woman giving her child up for adoption is a teenager who can't provide proper child support, statistics prove them wrong.

Duncan said that in his agency, the average age of women giving their children up for adoption is 22.5.

Most often women who give a child up for adoption do it for economic reasons, Duncan said.

They are unable to support their child but want to give it a good home. For many, adoption is the only alternative, he said.

For a long time adoption was looked down upon by many people. In spite of these negative opinions, progress has been made, Duncan said.

A increased involvement of birth parents has helped show that there is lots of love in adoption too.

CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARDS

Coogs out-rebound Lehigh, take third at Hawkeye Classic

The Houston Cougars easily defeated the Lehigh Engineers 96-74 in the consolation game of the Hawkeye Basketball Classic in Iowa City, Iowa Saturday.

Goldwire scored 21 points to lead the five Houston starters – all scored in double figures. Drain added 15 and had a career-high 11 rebounds.

Rebounding was the key for the victory. The Cougars out rebounded Lehigh 53-32, and even shot a season-high 48.6 percent from the floor.

Third-place Houston snapped a two-game losing streak with the victory. On Friday the Cougars lost the opening game of the tournament to Long Beach State, which lost to Iowa in the championship game.

Senior point guard Anthony Goldwire and junior small forward Jessie Drain helped Houston (2-2) dominate a small Lehigh squad.

In other basketball action, the Lady Cougars defeated William and Mary 83-69, Saturday in the first round of the Big Apple Classic in Manhattan, N.Y.

The Cougars faced Manhattan College in the championship game late Sunday. Manhattan beat Drexel 90-72 to reach the finals.

GATORS KNOCK COUGARS FROM NCAA TOURNEY

The No. 14 ranked Florida Lady Gators swept the Houston Lady Cougars 15-10, 15-10 and 15-8 in Gainesville, Fla., to eliminate Houston from the second round of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament.

Florida (31-3) matched the nation's record for consecutive home victories with 55.

The Cougars end the season with a 20-18 record.

In other volleyball tournament action, the No. 1 Texas Lady Longhorns defeated the Texas A&M Lady Aggies 15-10, 15-3 and 15-8 in Austin, to advance into the South Regional.

The regional will be held in Austin on Friday and Saturday. Texas will play the winner of Kentucky—Duke.

Texas increased its record to 30-2 and Texas A&M finished the season at 27-8.

The NCAA finals will be held Dec. 16—18 at Madison, Wis. Stanford is the defending national champion.