LOCALS, ONE MORE TIME

by Tom Turner

So the Christmas break is over, all of the relatives you never knew you had have gone, you've disposed of all of the fruitcake in the proper trash receptacle, and now you're left with a choice. Should you start getting ready for your classes or do you want to go out and hear some good music and have a good time?

I think the answer is pretty simple: The first choice can be pushed aside for a little while for some good ol’ entertainment.

So now you're left wondering where to go. Well, there is a wide range of clubs anxiously awaiting your presence.

For those of you who prefer to catch up-and-coming rock or alternative rock bands, there are several places to try.

The Asylum, which used to be the Vatican, has a variety of traveling and local bands. It had a good draw of bands when it was the Vatican, and it seems as though this will continue under the new management. The club is open to all ages with a moderate cover charge.

Another club worth checking out for live music is The Pig "Live." The Pig is usually a safe bet for good, solid bands, with the likes of Global Village, D.R.U.M., and Ten Hands gracing its stage. Along with some good bands and a low cover charge, this club makes a pretty good spot for those 21 and up.

Over in the Heights is Fitzgerald's. This club usually draws several local and traveling acts and has Zelda's on the first floor, which features local up-and-coming acts. Some acts at Fitzgerald's include Dramarama, Sprawl, Gin Blossoms and Dah-veed (formerly David Garza & The Lovebeads). All ages are welcome, and a varying cover is charged.

Another one of the "rock clubs" is the Bayou City Theater, which used to be Rockefeller's West. This club usually draws some of the larger traveling acts, such as Fishbone, Concrete Blonde (both in February) and Black Sabbath with Motorhead (in March). Tickets are a little bit more expensive here compared with many of the other clubs.

Other clubs that may be of interest include Shimmy Shack, Goat's Head Soup, Royal Jelly and Harvey's Club Deluxe (formerly The Axiom).

If you're aching to find some really great reggae rhythms that will make you move, Yaga's is almost always a good pick. Yaga's has live entertainment fairly often, featuring several traveling bands along with some of the locals. And don’t forget Jamaica Jamaica.

If none of these clubs is quite your cup o' tea, there are several dance clubs in town that may be more to your liking. Power Tools has a fairly good draw of people, with occasional nights that are free with a college ID.

Another dance club that may be of interest is Kaboom, which is frequented by the DJs from 104 KRBE fairly often. They also have no cover with college ID one night a week. Along with these two clubs, there is also Red Square and Numbers.

Those looking for some blues or jazz, there are several options that may be worth your while. Billy Blues is usually a good place to check out local acts, along with some traveling bands. Also, some other clubs that may be worth checking out are Dan Electro's Guitar Bar and Munchies, both with a good variety of rock, blues and jazz.

Okay, so maybe you've made it this far and you're saying to yourself that none of these sounds like your type of club. Well, all I can say is try them out. You never know what you may find and like.

There it is, one of the quickest overviews of local music venues. Now put off spending every nickel and dime you have on all of those overpriced textbooks and get some enjoyment out of your money. Support your local music acts and venues.

Turner is a sophomore majoring in psychology.

*******************************************************

STUDENT ROBBED AT GUNPOINT IN UH PARKING LOT

Two 24-year-old UH students were robbed of their wallets at gunpoint by a man wearing a ski mask in parking lot 16B Monday at 1:38 p.m.

The two students, who do not wish to have their names released, were talking in the parking lot when a man in a ski mask abruptly stopped his car near the couple.

According to UH Police, the students looked up because of the assailant's quick stop and saw he was holding a gun.

One of the victims said, "We tried to run, but I tripped and she freaked." After their attempt to escape the parking lot failed the suspect asked the woman for her purse. She told him she only had a wallet, according to her statement to police. He then took her wallet, while displaying the gun to the students.

The suspect also demanded the man's wallet.

After the two surrendered their wallets, the suspect drove out of the lot and headed east from Entrance 16. The suspect then headed north toward Entrance 18 on Elgin.

The suspect is described as a black man 5-feet-10 inches tall and approximately 145 pounds. He was wearing a royal blue ski mask, blue jeans and a possibly dark-colored jacket. He was armed with a small-caliber, dark-colored semi-automatic handgun.

His vehicle is described as an early model, light blue Chevrolet four-door, possibly a Chevy Caprice. Both license plates had been removed from the car, according to the victims' report.

University police urge anyone with information about the suspect or the vehicle to call UHPD at 743—3333.

DRIVE-BY SHOOTING LEAVES THREE WOUNDED

In a drive-by shooting at 3:30 p.m. Monday, eight 9mm bullets fired from an Uzi left two people injured and one man paralyzed near the University Apartments complex at 3800 Canfield, Houston Police said.

Brothers Frederick Thomas, 18, and Robert Thomas, 27, were pulling into the apartment complex near Burger King on Scott Street when three men in a rust-colored Toyota Corolla drove by and opened fire on the two men.

The younger brother was shot in the mouth, and the bullet exited through the back of his head, said HPD Officer E.B. Dozier. "He was taken to Ben Taub (Hospital), and he's paralyzed and in critical condition."

The older brother was shot in the chest, according to police. He is listed in serious, but stable condition at Ben Taub.

Also caught in the hail of bullets was a 16-year-old Yates High School student walking home from school. She was taken to Hermann Hospital for a bullet wound that went through her right leg, according to HPD officers on the scene. She is listed in fair condition.

Not many residents saw the shooting. However, two witnesses were taken to the police station for questioning by police. Several residents did say they heard the shots being fired and immediately came outside only to see the younger Thomas lying on the ground.

Police said Robert Thomas fled the vehicle after getting shot and tried to escape the gunfire.

The suspects in the drive-by shooting have not been found, and police are still searching for the rust-colored car.

HPD Sergeant Tom Ladd said the suspects were gang members.

BLACK PROF DENIES CHARGES OF RACISM

by Tiffany Vaughner

A black UH adjunct professor was not asked back to teach this semester because of what some say were charges of racism and discrimination made against him by two white, female UH students.

Alex Swan, chair of the Sociology Department at Texas Southern University, taught a fall 1993 class called The African American Family. The class was offered by the Sociology Department through the African American Studies program. It was during this class, he said, that the two women brought their charges against him to the head of the sociology department.

"A black male student in the class told me he heard I had an interesting definition of racism and he wanted me to share it with the rest of the class. I told him that that particular class was not the place for it but he and the rest of the class persisted so I gave him the definition. I think the two women were uncomfortable with that definition," Swan said.

Swan said the women talked to him after class and told him how they felt. He said he explained to them again that the definition was his own personal opinion and had no bearing on the class. He said the women agreed and he thought the matter had been settled.

Swan went on to say that Anthony Dworkin, head of the Sociology Department and Linda Reed, director of AAS, failed to inform him of the racism charges. Swan said Reed told him the reason he was not being asked back was because AAS had over budgeted for the spring semester.

Reed said she did not know anything about the charges of racism against Swan but if she did she would not be able to speak on it because it would be privileged information. She also said Swan knew he was an adjunct professor and that after his review there could be a chance he would not be asked back.

Dworkin said the reason Swan was not asked back was because AAS did not have the money to pay for him. He also said he did not know anything about the charges of racism against Swan.

Reed has called a meeting for Tuesday to answer questions from students about the matter. The meeting will be held at 5 p.m. in the AAS conference room in Agnes Arnold Hall room 311.

UNIVERSITY CRIME TAKES NO HOLIDAY

Time stops for no one and neither does crime. As the holiday hype unwound into the lazy days of winter vacation, criminals on campus were hard at work stealing cars, vandalizing property and even setting small fires.

After the buzz of the finals rush dulled into a low hum, campus crime got off to a troubling start Dec. 13 at 10:45 p.m., with a student being pushed to the ground and robbed of $1, UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

"Praveen Nukala, a graduate student, was approached from behind in Lot 5C by (23-year-old visitor) Maurice Batiste and pushed to the ground," Wigtil said. "He then made the student get up, go to the ATM at the UC and take out $50," in addition to the other dollar.

Batiste then forced Nukala to walk back with him to lot 5C when the two were spotted acting nervously by UHPD Sgt. Colonel LaMunyon. "The sergeant recognized Batiste from a description of a purse snatcher in an incident prior to the robbery," Wigtil said.

Both were questioned by the sergeant, and Batiste was subsequently arrested and sent to Harris County Jail.

The following day, Dec. 14, at 2:10 p.m., freshman pharmacy major Ronald Eary was hit in the back of the head by a man with whom he was playing a video game at the UC Games Room.

"They were playing Street Fighter and the man was upset because Eary was using a maneuver he didn't like," UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said. "The man made it known that he didn't want Eary using that move again, then pushed him in the face. When the student turned around, the man hit him in the back of the head."

The man immediately left the game room and was not arrested.

Wednesday, Dec. 24, kept the criminal activity at a steady pace when a student was physically assaulted and robbed of her purse.

An unknown black man grabbed biology graduate student Jingwen Yin from behind, pulled her down to the grass and robbed her of $20, Wigtil said. "He struck her in the abdomen a few times and ran off through the Moody Towers area with her purse."

The man in the robbery was suspected of being the same man who committed an earlier robbery but could not be identified from a photo lineup by Yin because she was initially attacked from behind, Durant said.

To ring in the new year, on Jan. 16, vandals lit a small fire in a restroom in the Fine Arts Building. "There was only smoke damage in the restroom," Wigtil said. The method of starting the fire is being withheld because UHPD does not want to encourage more fires.

Later in the week, on Wednesday, Jan. 19, a resident of Moody Towers was arrested for possession of marijuana in his dorm room.

The narcotic was discovered after residence halls officials were notified of the student's possession of the illegal drug.

University police requested a room search from the student and found 26.5 grams of marijuana, less than a full ounce. The student was subsequently arrested and taken to Harris County Jail.

The number of reported car thefts got off to a rolling start, too, just before finals. According to the daily crime bulletins published by UH police, nine cars were reported stolen during a six-week period.

Next in the list of repeated occurrences were car burglaries, with car stereos the criminals' item of choice. With a grand total of six cars burglarized, four of the burglaries were committed in the same evening within a two-and-a-half hour period. Also on the list of usual repeated offenses were three reported occurrences of car parts theft.

KUNSTLER, A PIECE OF HISTORY

William Kunstler may be remembered as a historical footnote, a trivia question in some multicolored board game, yet his impact on the cause of civil rights and equality has been enormous.

Calling his work <I>landmark<P> would be too cliché, for his cases shook the foundations of America, as he eloquently stood up for those without a spokesman.

He defended the Freedom Riders – the youths who came to the South in buses to register black voters in the early 1960s and who were attacked and jailed by Ku Klux Klan members and sympathizers.

He defended Adam Clayton Powell, Stokley Carmichael and a host of other so-called radicals, all on the principle of justice. Most times he won, sometimes he lost, yet the dream was always alive.

On Friday, Kunstler will be speaking on the continuing struggle for civil rights at 7:30 p.m. at the South Texas College of Law. He will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the school desegregation case <I>Brown vs. Board of Education<P>, perhaps the most well-known decision the Supreme Court has ever made. Kunstler will also speak on current struggles for justice.

Kunstler’s legal career has been concerned with defending the classless, the indefensible, the angriest voices. Among his most famous cases were defending Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade members Gregory "Joey" Johnson and Shawn Eichmann in 1989’s <I>Johnson v. Texas<P> and <I>U.S. v. Eichmann et. al.<P>, which upheld flag-burning as constitutionally protected free speech. He defended the Attica prisoners in the aftermath of the 1973 riot stemming from complaints of poor jail conditions. In 1969, he defended the notorious Chicago 8, who were accused of conspiracy.

Kunstler has also signed on to statements supporting the legal rights of the LA 4, the men accused of beating Reginald Denny during 1992’s Los Angeles rebellion, and of Abimael Guzman, leader of Peru’s guerrilla Sendero Luminoso. His latest job involves defending those accused of bombing the World Trade Center in New York City last year.

Not all of his cases involve speaking up for radicals, but many of his cases have had radical repercussions. He won <I>U.S. v. Sinclair<P> in 1971, quashing the government’s claimed right to unrestricted wiretapping. In 1966, he won the nation’s second most recognized school desegregation case, <I>Hobson v. Hansen<P>. <I>Carmichael v. Allen<P> squashed Georgia’s Insurrection Statute, while <I>McSurley v. Ratliff<P> in 1968 threw out the Kentucky Sedition Statute, thus expanding the bounds of free speech. He was the appeal lawyer in 1991 for former Washington, D.C., Mayor Marion Barry, overturning his drug conviction.

One of Kunstler’s longest campaigns was in defense of the American Indian Movement, one of the nation’s most publicized activist, indigenous organizations. AIM staged a number of takeovers, large demonstrations and militant actions in an effort to bring attention to the abuses against American Indians. Soon thereafter, as exposed in Ward Churchill and Jim Vander Wall’s <I>Agents of Repression<P>, the FBI launched a program to destroy the group.

He successfully defended two of AIM’s high profile leaders in 1973’s <I>U.S. v. Russell Means and Dennis Banks<P>, in which Banks and Means were accused of a laundry list of crimes in connection with an action. He also served as appellate counsel in <I>U.S. v. Leonard Peltier<P>, in which, as Churchill and Wall outline, Peltier was framed in the murder of a federal agent.

In addition to all his legal work, Kunstler is a prolific author, having penned over 11 books on various issues. Several of the works, such as <I>Our Pleasant Vices<P> and <I>Sonnets from the Amsterdam<P>, include his poetry and commentary. His past teaching experience includes stints at Pace College, Columbia University, New York Law School and Cooper Union.

The list of endorsers of Kunstler’s Houston appearance is a veritable who’s who in the local litigation community. UH’s Public Interest Law Organization as well as law professors Laura Oren and Stephen Huber, physics professor George Reiter and history professor John Hart are just a few. The Texas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and the local chapters of the National Lawyers Guild and NAACP are also on the ever-growing list.

Prior to the speech, Kunstler will be the guest of honor at a dinner in the Four Seasons Hotel. The following morning, he will receive an award from Texas Southern University’s Thurgood Marshall School of Law.

HOUSTON ADDS 3 MORE RECRUITS; MECHE ON TOP

Houston announced the commitments of three more football recruits late Sunday.

Giving UH commitments are Bubba Ray Meche from Northbrook High, Eric Woolson of Sharpstown High and DeKeithron Callicoattee of Dallas Roosevelt.

All three should help fill voids on the defense.

Meche (6-1, 180 pounds) made The Houston Post's top 100 Texas recruits list. As the Northbrook starting quarterback his senior season, Meche totaled 1,084 yards passing and 700 yards rushing.

Northbrook head coach Freddy Hernandez said Meche is a terrific all-around athlete and feels UH will most likely switch him to defensive back.

"He's very versatile," Hernandez said. "The Cougars can probably best use his talents on defense.

"When I first got here (in 1991), I took the best athlete we had and moved him to QB. That was Bubba Ray."

Hernandez is a friend of Houston head coach Kim Helton. He coached Helton's son Clay, a UH senior quarterback, at Sugarland High School.

Woolson is a 6-2, 213-pound linebacker with 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash. He averaged approximately eight tackles a game as a senior and returned three of four interceptions for touchdowns.

His versatility is reminiscent of last year's strongside linebacker Allen Aldridge. Aldridge played linebacker, tight end and was the deep snapper on punts in his final season at UH.

Woolson played both outside linebacker positions at Sharpstown. He also snapped on punts and played tight end in goal-line situations. As a tight end he caught two extra-point passes and two touchdowns.

"He covers the pass real well. He was even recruited as a strong safety by some schools," said Sharpstown head coach Bill Plummer.

"But he also covers the run real well with his speed from the outside. I feel by the time ya'll (UH) get him he'll get to 225 (pounds)."

All three of Houston's starting linebackers were seniors last season. Aldridge, middle linebacker Ryan McCoy and weakside linebacker Michael Newhouse will not return in 1994.

Callicoattee is a 6-3, 190-pound defensive back who should be able to play either safety positions. He is the first defensive back to commit to UH his season.

Houston lost two of their four starting backs from last season. Strong safety Donald Douglas and John W. Brown were both senior.

BRIEFS

Aumann leaves to pursue research

Glenn Aumann, UH's chief academic officer, will be leaving his position as soon as a search committee finds his replacement.

Aumann is leaving to pursue his academic specialties of ecology and biology at the Houston Coastal Center, an environmental research facility shared by UH-Clear Lake and UH.

Aumann, who has been acting senior vice president for academic affairs and provost, replaced James Pickering on April 1, 1992. Pickering was made acting president with the passing of UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett.

Pickering's presidency was made permanent last April.

Aumann directly administers all 14 colleges, four associate vice presidents, the library, faculty research and the Office of Admissions.

"I'm in an acting position. The search is underway," he said.

The search committee is scheduled to have a replacement by Sept. 1. John Rabalais, the chairman of the committee, had no comment.

STARS OUT FOR AAS

by Tiffany Vaughner

The UH African American Studies program will continue its 25th anniversary celebration this semester with cultural and star-studded events.

The Blaffer Gallery and AAS will co-sponsor an exhibit of photographs and paintings from the civil rights movement. The exhibit will be held Jan. 21—March 27.

Today, UH alumnus and NASA Astronaut Dr. Bernard Harris will speak on the role of African Americans in health and science. Dr. Harris will be speaking from 1—2:30 p.m. at the Atlantic Room in the University Center.

April 7—10, AAS will host a conference featuring leaders from national AAS programs.

Morris Graves, Associate Director of AAS, said, "What we will be doing is bringing in scholars from all over the country to discuss the impact of the past, present and future of the scholarship coming out of the African American Studies programs around the nation."

Graves said that the main purpose of the conference is to find strategies for helping African American communities economically and culturally as well as academically.

Some of the personalities who will be participating in the conference are Carter G. Woodson, Jacquelyn Mitchell from Scripps College and Armstead Robinson from the University of Virginia.

On April 16, the AAS Friends Committee will sponsor the Leroy Burrell Walkathon. Burrell, a UH alumnus, still holds the UH and Southwest Conference record for the 100 meter in track. Burrell will be in attendance.

In conjunction with the walkathon, AAS will hold the Second Annual Cultural Arts Festival, co-sponsored by the UH Black Student Union.

Dena Fontno, head of AAS Media Relations, said the festival will feature many facets of Black culture – food, jewelry, clothing and art work. She also said they are working on bringing the rap group A Tribe Called Quest to the festival.

The AAS Friends Committee will hold the Second Annual Wilson Whitley Memorial Celebrity Golf Tournament May 9. The tournament was established in honor of the late UH alumnus who was a Lombardi Award winner, was named SWC conference "Player of the Decade" for the '70s and enjoyed an outstanding career in the National Football League with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Houston Oilers.

Proceeds from the tournament will go to a scholarship fund for African American students at UH.

STREET REPAIRS STAY ON SCHEDULE

by Annette Baird

In case you haven't noticed, Cullen Boulevard near the university is undergoing a face-lift. As a result, we can look forward to traffic inconveniences until August when the project is expected to be completed.

At the moment, the west side of Elgin is being repaired and re-paved all the way to Lockwood. Once the west side is completed, crews will switch construction work to the east side. It is estimated that work on the west side will be finished in about a 45 days. Work started toward the end of last semester and is projected to last until August 1994.

The project includes complete renewal of the pavement and sidewalks, storm drains and sanitary and sewerage improvements, said Virgil Wymer, job superintendent for Brown & Root.

"We're trying to get it done as quick as we can," Wymer said. "The weather has not been much of a factor. (The project) is going well and according to schedule," Wymer added.

If commuters are looking for less hassle during the construction period they can take the Scott Street exit from I-45 instead of Cullen, and come across at Holman or Wheeler.

Brown & Root is under contract for the project with the City of Houston.

WANTED: TV ACTORS, WRITERS

by Amanda Swaty

SVN. Three letters that remain a mystery to the majority of the University of Houston student body.

However, anyone who has ever lived in the dorms, or frequents any of the university television lounges, will recognize this acronym as the Student Video Network, an entirely student-run television channel that broadcasts from the UC-Underground.

With 1,511 outlets across campus, SVN is an outlet for student talent and creativity.

As a part of the Student Program Board, SVN has been known traditionally for broadcasting music videos and movies. However, according to Laura Montgomery, SPB's Video Committee chairwoman, the channel is hoping to expand its programming.

From a soap opera dubbed <I>Campus Activities<P> to a news broadcast to a series of original student productions, SVN is hoping to redesign itself into a well-rounded student television network, rather than one that runs syndicated films and videos.

"As we lose the students who work there, it’s as if we are fizzling out," Montgomery said. "If we are going to continue on, we will need to make some changes."

In the future, Montgomery said SVN is also seeking to establish a connection with the RTV Department, in an attempt to provide technical support, as well as a liaison with the Marketing Department. Both programs could provide their students not only with valuable experience at SVN, but also – if all goes as planned – potential credit toward their degrees as well.

This would help elevate the committee from the status of a campus club to a well-respected outlet for original programming. In addition, SVN will show programs from the U Network, a symposium of universities that actively exchanges ideas, in which SVN is now a member.

Montgomery said SVN is faced with a severely understaffed studio. Interested students do not need to be RTV majors or have previous experience. Instruction will be provided in a series of seminars over the next couple of weeks.

Opportunities are available for writers and actors for the soap opera currently in production. Interested students should contact SVN in Room 78 of the UC-Underground.

CAESAR IS TELLING TRAGEDY

by Pam Griffin

Mischief and politics -- a couple sure to draw the attention of any audience.

The Main Street Theater's production of Shakespeare's <I>Julius Caesar<P>, a play about Rome's most successful general who is appointed dictator, will run through Feb. 20.

After Caesar's triumph in Spain, the pomp of Caesar's reception at home causes two leading senators, Brutus and Cassius, to fear that Caesar will have himself proclaimed king. Since Brutus' ancestors were instrumental in ridding Rome of kings five centuries earlier, the possibility of an overthrow was unthinkable to him.

Brutus and Cassius, along with three other conspirators, plot to assassinate Caesar at a Roman Senate meeting. The assassination is accomplished, and Brutus successfully justifies the murder to the Roman people. But Mark Antony, Caesar's greatest supporter, delivers a eulogy that turns the Romans against the conspirators, who flee the city.

Brutus leads the conspirators and raises an army, but they are defeated at Philippi by Mark Antony and Octavius, Caesar's heir.

Brutus and Cassius subsequently commit suicide.

The historical plot allows the dramatic interest to arise from the interaction of Brutus, Cassius and Antony. Although Shakespeare’s Caesar has a small part, his personality dominates the play and illuminates the qualities of the main characters: the populist, opportunistic Antony; the ambitious, envious Cassius; and the desperate Brutus, torn between his love of Caesar and his love of Rome.

Directed by Steve Garfinkel, the production features abstract, contemporary settings by Houston artist and sculptor Don Redman.

Garfinkel's usage of modern sculpture and costumes is an attempt to remove the play from a historical period and enable the audience to establish a new relationship with the play.

The stark, abstract settings were appealing and added intrigue to the stage.

However, the contemporary costumes were not conducive to focusing on and interpreting the Shakespearean language.

A complete, modern adaptation, with both setting and language, would have been more successful in achieving a conceptual understanding between the audience and the play.

Both Randal Kent Doerner as Cassius and Freeman Williams as Brutus deliver dynamic performances, giving life and emotion to their characters. When Doerner and Williams first came together in a scene where they discussed their fears of Caesar's uprising, the energy was felt throughout the theater. They commanded attention and dominated the stage.

The other conspirators were also energetic and full of emotion in their performances.

In contrast, Charlie Trotter’s treatment of Caesar was a delivery that never quite drew the audience to the character, nor convinced the audience of his strength or believability. Trotter exuded a false arrogance, projecting a lack of confidence in the character.

Marcus Antonius (Antony), played by Rodney Walsworth, gave a performance that was virtually a carbon copy of Trotter's performance. The exception was the eulogy Walsworth delivered at Caesar's funeral.

As for the Main Street Theater, the intimacy of the small structure and the warmth of the staff and cast will keep the patrons coming.

GIVE GRETA TO ENEMIES

by D.V.J. McAdams

If there is someone you really hate and you want to get even with him or her in the worst way, buy them Greta's <I>No Biting<P>.

On second thought, you had better not do that because it would be in violation of the Constitution's "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

To say this disc sucks would be the understatement of the century. Let's be politically correct and say this band is talent-challenged, original idea-challenged and pretentious-inclined.

The lead singer wears a dress, folks, which would be perfectly O.K. if he could sing, but he can't. Perhaps he is attempting to draw your attention away from the pathetic, "We want to be a Seattle-sounding band" he is backing up.

Or maybe he is attempting to cash in on the oh-so-clichéd, "I'm a sexually confused, waif-like lead singer in a rock band" thing.

Shades of Morrisey, anyone?

It saddens me that totally innocent trees had to die to make the inlay card for this thoroughly limp band.

Treat this band like the fruitcake your family tried to get rid of last Christmas and don't bite into it.

BUNNY DRAG, CLUT CLASSICS PART OF MIDNIGHT MOVIES

by Amanda Swaty

So you and your friends are sitting in front of the television on Saturday, preparing to indulge in another evening of <I>American Gladiators<P>. Maybe you are tiring of the Houston club scene.

Having shown the latest in art and foreign films for a number of years, River Oaks 3 cinema, located at 2009 W. Gray, is finally offering an alternative to the traditional weekend fare.

Through the theater's innovative Midnight Movie Series, the cinema is able to run a variety of films, with something sure to please even the most discriminating moviegoer. Indeed, most of the films are sure to be unlike anything you have ever seen.

One example is David Lynch's cult classic <I>Eraserhead<P>. In this film, the director of <I>Wild at Heart<P> and <I>Twin Peaks<P> explores the world of Henry Spencer (Jack Nance) and his reluctant journey as the parent of a rather peculiar infant. This new 35mm print of the film begins its run on Feb. 18.

Another interesting choice is <I>Bugs in Drag<P>, a collection of classic Looney Tunes cartoons that features America's favorite rabbit as a southern belle, flamenco dancer and a bobby soxer. Such will be an experience likely to alter your perception of the rabbit and make you sympathetic toward Elmer Fudd.

Not all featured films are as lighthearted (or bizarre) as the ones mentioned. In conjunction with the Houston Museum of Fine Arts, Nicholas Campell's <I>Stepping Razor – Red X<P> will start on March 11. The film documents the life of reggae's Peter Tosh, who at one time played with Bob Marley as a member of his pioneering backup band, the Wailers. Amongst the interviews with friends of the musician are the <I>Red X<P> cassettes, recorded by Tosh between 1983 and 1987. The tapes were intended to serve as the basis for an autobiography and lend insight into his transition from Christianity to a Rastafarian lifestyle, and the colonial mentality in which he was raised.

Another musically based film was last weekend's showing of <I>The Cure Show<P>, in which directors Aubrey Powell and Leroy Benett chronicle the Cure's 1992 tour to promote the band's <I>Wish<P> album. While belting through such Cure classics as "Just Like Heaven" and "Lullaby," Robert Smith and the band put on an interesting show that was a filming of their latest concert.

The theater itself is outstanding. The movie series runs in the smaller theater upstairs and provides a comfortable ambiance and fabulous sound. For those curious about the audience these films attract, the crowds run the gamut, from bored college students to die-hard cinema fans.

One word of caution: Do not make too much of your first impression.

At about 11:30 p.m. – when the tickets go on sale – you may find yourself surrounded by young teenagers in costumes, face paint and a girl whose pet snake was wrapped firmly around her neck in an effort to stay warm.

Just remember they are there for <I>The Rocky Horror Picture Show<P>, another River Oaks tradition.

LUCIA PORTRAYS FEUDING FAMILY'S STRIFE

The dark clouds sweep across the sky as a lightning bolt flashes in the distance. Lucia kills her husband on her wedding-night bed as insanity grabs hold. She eagerly awaits the return of her true love.

This is the latest the Wortham Theater has brought to Houston. The Houston Grand Opera now introduces Gaetano Donizetti's <I>Lucia Di Lammermoor<P>.

The story occurs in Scotland in the 17th century. A bitter family feud keeps the Ravenswood and Ashton families at war. Nevertheless, Lucia Ashton and Edgardo Ravenswood find a way to fall in love. But the hatred is stronger than love and Lucia is forced to marry a man her brother, Enrico, has chosen for her. This brings Lucia to her meeting with insanity and a harsh end.

<I>Lucia Di Lammermoor<P> brings the power of love to the stage. Italian stars Tiziana Fabbricini (soprano) and Marcello Giordani (tenor) play Lucia and Edgardo, the two separated lovers. Baritone Motti Kaston is Lucia's strong-headed brother, Enrico, and Raimondo the priest is played by Italian bass Carlo Colombara. Tenor Joseph Wolverton is Arturo, mezzo-soprano Jill Grove is Alisa and tenor Raymond Very is Normanno. The principal conductor is Maestro Vjekoslav Sutej.

The opera can be seen at the Wortham Theatre Jan. 26, 29 and Feb. 1 and 4.

Tragedy- or love-starved students in search of powerful and dramatic action may call 227-ARTS for special student tickets and enjoy the entertainment and excitement we all sometimes lack in our college lives.

BASKETBALL EXTRAS

SWC WOMEN'S TEAMS

THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

The University of Texas women's basketball team is in a position it has not found itself in since 1977. It is not in the Associated Press Top 25.

Success has come often for the Longhorns. They finished No. 1 in the polls every season from 1983-86 and won the national championship in ’86 with an undefeated 34-0 season.

This is a rebuilding year with a young and inexperienced team anchored by All-America candidate Nekeshia Henderson, who had 13 starts last season.

Henderson, who missed three games this season with a sprained knee, is averaging 8.6 assists per game, which would rank her second in the nation if she had enough playing time.

The real story of the season thus far is the play of freshman Danielle Viglione, who leads the conference in scoring with a 24.2-point average.

Her three-point percentage is ranked second, and she leads the nation with an average of 4.5 three-pointers per game. She has 52 on the season and set a Longhorn record with nine three-pointers in a game.

The Longhorns have followed her offense to a 11-4 overall record, 3-1 in the conference, with a tough nonconference schedule – the Longhorns played No. 2 Vanderbilt and No. 24 Maryland and will be at No. 1 Tennessee today.

The Longhorns’ one conference loss came from Texas A&M in a 75-74 road game.

Head Coach Jody Conradt, the winningest coach in NCAA Division 1 women’s college basketball history, is pleased with the progress of her team, especially after beating Texas Tech 66-65 Saturday.

"(They are) performing better in terms of potential than any other team I've had in some time," Conradt said.

While realizing all teams are chasing conference favorite Tech, she said, "This may be the most interesting conference race we have had in some time."

For the Horns, though, the race may be more interesting in the years to come.

-- Daniel Scholl

******************************

******************************

TEXAS A&M

With four returning starters, three of them sophomores, the Texas A&M women's basketball team is experienced and young.

Led by sophomore Lisa Branch, who was voted Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year last season, the Aggies hope to contend for the SWC title.

Branch is ninth in the conference in scoring with a 14.2-points-per-game average and first in free-throw percentage, assists and steals.

As part of a 1992 recruiting class that Blue Star Report rated sixth in the nation, Branch is joined by returning starters Beth Burkett, a senior forward, and sophomores Kelly Cerny, Martha McClelland and Donyale Canada.

Head Coach Lynn Hickey said the team has a good combination of speed and size – they are the tallest team in the conference. Combine this with their youth, and the Aggies are going to be a power for at least the next couple of years.

When asked about any weakness on the team, Hickey said, "We need to work on our consistency. We need to play a full 40 minutes."

The only change she would like to see on the team is a better shooter at power forward.

So far, the Aggies are tied for first place with Texas Tech, the defending national champions. Their overall record is 9-3, and they are undefeated in conference play at 2-0.

Their two conference wins came against Rice (76-47) and Texas (75-74). It was the first time the Aggies had beat the Longhorns at home since Jan. 13, 1978.

Hickey is happy with the team's progress this season, especially when considering their youth, and she said she feels good about their chances in the SWC Tournament in Dallas.

"Texas Tech is still the top pick," she said, then added that as long as they can keep everyone healthy, they can compete for the conference title.

The Aggies' last game of the regular season comes on March 5 at fourth-ranked Texas Tech and could become the showdown for the conference title.

– Daniel Scholl

******************************

******************************

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

The Baylor Lady Bears finished their nonconference schedule with an 8-3 record, their best since a 10-3 start in 1980.

The Bears (9-6, 1-3 SWC) dropped Southwest Conference games to Houston and national powers Texas Tech and Texas.

"We're hoping to finish in the upper division of the conference," said Head Coach Pam Bowers, "but we're going to have to beat some teams on the road to do that."

Bowers' team must also improve on its 42 rebounds-per-game average and a near-last .426 shooting percentage if they hope to finish strongly in the conference.

"Our rebounding is definitely a problem. We're not a very big team," Bowers said. "Our shooting is coming around, though."

Baylor leads the conference in 3-point percentage.

Jennifer King, the second all-time 3-point shooter in SWC history, graduated last spring, but junior Kristen Mayberry has filled the void with a .381 3-point percentage of her own.

The Bears' star, however, is guard Mary Lowry.

The 5-8 Lowry has followed her SWC Freshman of the Year campaign with 18 points (No. 3 in the SWC) and four assists per game in her sophomore season.

"Obviously, I'm prejudiced, but I think overall, she is the best player in the conference right now," Bowers said. The Baylor coach has also seen Texas' Daniel Viglione and Houston's Pat Luckey this season.

Although the Bears have improved their long-range bombing, they have contained their opponents' with man-to-man, full-court pressure. Baylor's opportunistic defense leads the SWC with 12 steals per game.

"We score a lot of points off of our defense," Bowers said. "If we don't play defense, our offense suffers."

– Ryan Carssow

******************************

******************************

RICE UNIVERSITY

If Texas Tech is favored to dominate the Southwest Conference, then the Rice Owls are the surprise contenders.

Following four years of futility under former Coach Mike Dunavant, when the Owls went a combined 42-68, new Head Coach Cristy McKinney has directed the Rice Lady Owls to a share of third place in the league and a 10-5 record.

McKinney has already set the team's agenda. "This year, it's to make some noise in this conference. We were picked to be last or next-to-last by a lot of people. We want to show that we are better than that, eventually competing for the Southwest Conference title."

The way the Owls are playing, they might reach their goals ahead of schedule.

With a 2-1 record in SWC play – only a 76-47 loss to Texas A&M halted a perfect record – Rice has shown they can play with anyone.

The Owls are led by posts Brenda Conaway and Nicki Manzo, who boast heights of 6-2 and 6-4, respectively. Conaway is in the top 10 in five of the 10 statistical categories kept by the SWC.

"One of our strengths is our inside game," said McKinney, who previously coached at Western Kentucky. "We have big people who can score in the post. We've got players taking pride in their defense."

McKinney said inconsistencies exist in the team's shooting and ball-handling. Rice ranks seventh in scoring, averaging 69.9 points a game.

But the Owls' bread and butter comes on defense, where they've been holding opponents to a league-low 61.3 scoring average.

"We're getting good play different nights from different people," McKinney said. "If we ever get everyone together at the same time, we would have a great time."

– Adam King

*****************************

*****************************

SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY

When Head Coach Rhonda Rompola came to Southern Methodist University in 1991, she promised a new, winning tradition. For the last two seasons, she has delivered.

The Lady Mustangs had a .667 winning percentage as well as a 20-win season last year.

They rode their record to a spot in the National Women's Invitational Tournament, where they advanced to the championship game before losing to Arkansas State, 76-54.

This year, they return three starters, all of whom are sophomores.

Kim Brungardt was the leading scorer among the returnees, with a 12.3-point scoring average per game.

Unfortunately for the Mustangs, she will be lost until March due to a stress fracture in her right tibia.

Team officials do not know when she actually suffered the injury, but Brungardt became aware of it during a game against California on Dec. 28.

"We need to regroup and realize that she may not come back till the tournament," Rompola said.

Another sophomore, Jennifer McLaughlin, is leading the team in scoring this year with a 14.9-point average. Second on the team is freshman Leslie Frazier with 14.8. They are sixth and seventh in the conference, respectively.

The Mustangs lost only one game in their nonconference schedule, a 99-72 loss to Oklahoma.

They entered conference play 8-1 and have since lost three in a row. They lost four of their last five and are tied for last place in the conference.

"We struggled for a couple of weeks," Rompola said. "(We need to) stay focused from game to game and get some wins under our belts."

– Daniel Scholl

*****************************

*****************************

TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

Though it may sound funny, the Texas Christian Lady Horned Frogs may be on their way to becoming a women's basketball powerhouse.

After ten seasons with coach Fran Garmon, who compiled a 137-27 Southwest Conference record, TCU hired former assistant coach and top recruiter Shell Robinson.

Being a part of a powerhouse is nothing new to Robinson. She played for coach Jody Conradt at Texas from 1981—85 when the Longhorns went 125-13.

Now she must concentrate on molding the class she recruited into a powerhouse as well.

"We must put the past behind us," Robinson said. "We now have recruited players to compliment the style of play we want to implement."

TCU signed six newcomers including four all-district players, two district MVP's, one junior college all-conference player and one 5A all-stater.

Freshman guard Nicole Perdue has been a major factor in the Frogs improving 5-9 record. The former four-year, all-district selection out of Fort Worth is already making an impression on the SWC as she ranks in the top 10 in steals, assists and 3-point shooting.

With all the talk about the many new faces around TCU, it should not be forgotten that coach Robinson can rely heavily on her veterans as well.

Senior forward Donna Krueger and junior forward Janelle Hunter have leapt from the gate in a hurry during the Frogs 1-3 conference start.

Krueger poured in 25 points on 11-of-13 shooting in a 78-72 victory over Houston on Jan. 12.

Hunter enjoyed a huge game against Baylor in which she scored 32 points in a 101-83 loss.

"This year we are going to play with a lot more intensity," Robinson said. "I want our team to be competitive and not settle for being average."

– Daniel Scholl

******************************

******************************

TEXAS TECH

The women's national champions are back.

Last year, Texas Tech, led by all-everything Sheryl Swoopes, defeated Ohio State 84-82 to win the NCAA tournament and national title.

Swoopes was named the Associated Press Female Athlete of 1993 and was consensus National Player of the Year. She set the Raider record for points in a season with 955.

With the loss of her and all-time Southwest Conference 3-point leader Krista Kirkland, Tech was not picked to win the conference.

Now they are the fourth-ranked team in the nation, likely to drop after the loss to Texas Saturday, and through 16 games have only two losses. At this point last year, the Raiders were 12-3.

They are led by sophomore Michi Atkins, who played in all 34 games last year, yet started none.

This year, she leads the SWC in field goal percentage (.625), and is fourth in scoring (16.3).

"(She) has become a go-to player in the paint. It's important for her to do a good job for us game after game," said Head Coach Marsha Sharp.

As a team, the Raiders are tied for first in the conference with Texas A&M at 2-0. Texas is still considered their biggest rival, however.

"Any time that they're involved in a contest with Texas Tech, the rivalry is there," Sharp said. "We know that there is going to be a lot of intensity."

Tech lost 66-65 to the Longhorns in Austin, one of its five televised games this season.

If the Raiders are to repeat as national champions, they first need to win a tight SWC race, and this year, there is added pressure.

"Everyone gets so fired up to play us," Sharp said. "It's a different look being the one that everyone's trying to shoot at."

-- Daniel Scholl

******************************

******************************

BASKETBALL EXTRA

SWC MEN'S TEAMS

TEXAS A&M

After suffering through two losing seasons under Head Coach Tony Barone, Texas A&M seems to be breaking out of the mold of just being a football school.

The Aggies have beaten two of last year's top Southwest Conference teams -- Houston and Rice on the road -- and edged Texas, a preseason pick to finish first in the league, by a point at home.

Sitting atop the SWC must feel pretty good, but if it does, Barone isn't letting on.

"I don't pay any attention to the standings. My job is to prepare our kids," he said. "A Houston high school coach -- I think -- said it right: 'The league is more of a marathon, not a sprint.'

We've done well in the 50-yard dash, but we still have to finish a 26-mile run. One of the problems you face when you have a couple of nice wins is you think you can win the rest of your games doing the same thing. We have to protect against that."

Unfortunately for the rest of the conference, the Aggies' formula of playing similar games has been paying off.

The difference for the Aggies this year has been winning the close games.

A&M lost four of six games decided by three points or less last season. This year, the Aggies topped Texas (85-84), Rice (67-64) and Loyola Marymount (81-79) in nail-biters. They also beat UH in the closing minutes, 67-60, and slayed Montana State in a double overtime contest, 102-95.

"(The team is) just playing through my coaching," said Barone, whose team holds a 9-4 record (3-0 SWC). "We're just finding a way to win."

And showing fans in College Station that football isn't the only thing Aggies excel at.

–Adam King

*******************************

*******************************

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

Despite the loss of four junior college transfers to NCAA suspension which leaves the Bears with only eight scholarship players, Baylor has been at or near the top of the Southwest Conference all season.

"We don't have any illusions of grandeur at this point, but we're happy to be where we are," head coach Darrel Johnson said.

The Bears are 10-4 overall, 2-1 in conference and in third place behind Texas A&M and the University of Texas.

Baylor lost JC guards Marcus Thompson and Jason Ervin and forwards Shannon Brantley and Tyrone Davis because of eligibility questions about their transfer hours.

The eight players remaining currently lead the SWC in scoring and rebounding.

Of those eight, starting guards Nelson Haggerty and Aundre Branch were injured with a knee and thumb dislocation respectively and are just now returning to action. Haggerty was the starting point guard and Branch leads the Bears with 19.8 points per game.

Forwards Jerode Banks and Willie Sublett have picked up some of the slack. Banks was named SWC Newcomer of the Week beginning Jan. 10, and Sublett adapted well to a new role off the bench.

The play of transfer center Jerome Lambert was the true surprise for Baylor and the rest of the SWC this season.

The 6-8, 235-pound Davis was expected to replace departed all-SWC center Alex Holcombe, but Lambert has stepped in with 16 points and a national-best 15 rebounds per game despite a smaller build (6-8, 215) than most of the players he faces.

"Lambert has obviously exceeded our expectations," Johnson said.

The return of Branch and Haggerty should bring back the fast-paced, high-scoring, guard-oriented offense which Johnson installed last season, his first at Baylor.

The Bears return to health is needed because their schedule only gets tougher. Baylor will play six of their remaining 10 games on the road.

"I really don't know where we fit in the conference this season," Johnson said.

-- Ryan Carssow

*****************************

*****************************

RICE UNIVERSITY

The Rice Owls' men's basketball program is enjoying the best success it has had in the last 30 years. It's a trend Head Coach Willis Wilson hopes to continue this season.

Coming off three consecutive winning seasons, the Owls are playing the best they have since winning back-to-back seasons in 1968—69 and '70-'71.

The problems that lie in the path of Coach Wilson are the losses of Consensus All-Southwest Conference guard Marvin Moore and center Brent Scott.

Wilson hopes to fill the void with what he considers to be a strong recruiting class anchored by seven returning lettermen, including starters Adam Peakes and Scott Tynes.

Senior Torrey Andrews, a part-time starter last season, is in the opening lineup this year and leads the team, averaging 20.3 points per game. He is second in the league in scoring and leads in field-goal percentage.

Filling the remaining spots are guard Kevin Rabbitt and center Todd Schoettelkotte. Last season, Rabbitt was a backup point guard who showed promise, and Schoettelkotte was sidelined by an ankle injury for the first 11 games of the season. He will try to fill the role of Scott, who averaged 16.3 points and nine rebounds per game in his career.

The Owls are 8-5 overall and 1-1 in the conference. While Texas is favored to win the conference, Wilson is not discouraged.

"Any team can win in this conference," he said.

When asked what it would take for Rice to win the conference, Wilson talked about fundamentals.

"We need to improve rebounding and get the young guys into the game," Wilson said. "(We need to) rebound, shoot high-percentage shots, improve free throws and play hard.

"Our young players are going to have to step up and show maturity right away."

Shaun Igo and Scott Oliver are expected to lead this freshman pack.

– Daniel Scholl

*****************************

*****************************

SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY

The 1993 season proved to be a Cinderella season for the Southern Methodist Mustangs.

They won the regular season Southwest Conference title with a league record of 12-2 and were one of the biggest surprises in the nation during that time.

But like it did in the famous fairy tale, SMU's clock struck 12, and everything was once again back to normal.

Head Coach John Shumate has a team that is currently sporting a 2-11 record and missing six players from last season, four of whom were starters.

"There is no way we can even compare this and last year's team," Shumate said. "Of our seven to eight top players last season, six were the ones we lost."

The biggest problem, however, is not even in Shumate's control.

According to the Sagarin computer rankings, the Mustangs were rated as having the toughest schedule in the entire country.

The schedule included such national powerhouses as the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Kansas Jayhawks twice. Both teams have at one time or another spent time at the No. 1 spot in the Associated Press Top 25 poll this year.

"To take a young, inexperienced team such as ours and put them up against the likes of some top formidable competition, it just doesn't bode well," Shumate said.

The Ponies do have their share of talent though. Newcomer Troy Matthews is having an outstanding freshman season, hitting on 14 of 31 3-pointers and leading the conference.

Senior forward James Gatewood has also been impressive, ranking in the SWC's lists of top rebounding and steals.

"I think SMU is better (than their record indicates)," said Texas Head Coach Tom Penders. "And pretty soon, people will start to find out."

After all, Cinderella's prince did eventually find her. Shumate and the rest of the Mustangs hope their fairy tale will also come true.

– Jason P. Ramirez

******************************

******************************

TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY

When TCU Head Coach Moe Iba glanced at the scoreboard after his team's 87-76 victory over Houston Jan. 12, you could almost see a smile cross his face.

Almost.

Iba is known around the conference as one of the more expressive coaches with his rantings on the sideline. On Jan. 12, it gave his players the necessary motivation to carry off an upset more monumental than the 3-8 Texas Christian Horned Frogs vs. 2-8 UH indicated.

The Horned Frogs’ (4-10, 1-2 SWC) fourth all-time win at Hofheinz Pavilion sent Houston to its record seventh consecutive loss behind a dominating offense.

Center Kurt Thomas, a 6-9, 230-pound junior from Dallas, is TCU's go-to man, averaging over 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.

He had 30 points against Oklahoma State and 38 at Indiana, both nationally ranked teams, and crushed Houston with 31 while playing with a broken hand. TCU lives and dies with its center.

"When Kurt's played poorly this year, it's hurt the team," Iba said. "When he gets into foul problems, he doesn't become as aggressive."

But when Thomas has done well inside, that opens up Jeff Jacobs, Jentry Moore and Eric Dailey from 15 feet and beyond.

Problems arise when the team is pressed. Houston forced 31 turnovers, including 18 steals. Rebounding is also a concern for Iba, whose team was beaten on the boards in seven of its first 12 games.

"Earlier in the year, we rebounded the ball really well and now we're not," Iba said. "Eric Dailey has a sprained ankle and maybe that's part of the problem."

Dailey led TCU in rebounding last year, averaging 9.8, but his production has slipped to 7.5 this season.

Since the Houston win, TCU has dropped three straight (1-2 in conference), but that hasn't fazed Iba.

"As a coach, you'd like to think your team is coming along," he said.

Time and Thomas will tell.

--Adam King

*******************************

*******************************

TEXAS TECH

There is no longer a Will, but to the Texas Tech Red Raiders, there might still be a way.

And his name is Mark Davis.

The 6-7 junior forward from Thibodaux, La., is already making an enormous impact on Head Coach James Dickey and the rest of the team, in place of former All-SWC player Will Flemons, in only his first year out of Howard Junior College (La.).

"Mark has the ability to score, rebound and play defense," Dickey said. "He should really be one of the outstanding players in our league this season."

Coming into this season, Davis was the consensus choice for Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year. And so far, Davis has done nothing to discourage people of that prediction.

He is currently leading the Raiders in scoring at nearly 20 points per game and has already won the SWC Newcomer of the Week honor twice.

However, Tech is still on the losing end of its record at 6-8 and have split their first four conference games.

Coach Dickey's reasons for that inconsistency stem from the fact that Tech is in the tough part of its schedule, playing eight of nine games away from Lubbock.

Though those problems aren't "physical," the Raiders do have their share of those, too.

"The inexperience at the point guard is one of our key problems," Dickey said.

Maybe Dickey was trying to say that the lack of depth at guard was a problem rather than inexperience because sophomore Koy Smith and junior Lance Hughes are returning from impressive seasons in 1993 and are producing this year as well, averaging over 17 and 12 points per contest, respectively.

As far as the rest of the guard rotation goes, Dickey has to settle for a freshman and two others who saw limited action, if any, last season.

Nevertheless, Dickey is still confident about the rest of this season.

"I don't think anyone (in the SWC) will go undefeated," he said. "If the schedule happens to be in our favor and some other things go our way, then we could make a move."

-- Jason Paul Ramirez

******************************

******************************

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

Fielding perhaps its deepest team since the 1990 squad which made the final eight of the NCAA tournament, Texas, (11-6, 3-1 SWC), was heavily favored to win the Southwest Conference this year.

"Obviously they are the unanimous favorite to win the league," Baylor coach Darrell Johnson said. "They have no apparent weaknesses we can find."

Texas head coach Tom Penders doesn't believe his team will waltz through the conference, as predicted.

"Everybody we play in our league, it's a big game for them. That's the way we like it," he said.

"In conference (play), anybody can beat anyone else."

Texas A&M beat the Longhorns 85-84 Jan. 12.

Penders said a reasonable goal for his team is winning the rest of their games.

"We're playing well in spots, but not as consistent as I'd like," he said. "We should peak in February or March."

The return of point guards B.J. Tyler, who was enrolled at the John Lucas Center for drug rehabilitation, and Roderick Anderson, out with multiple leg injuries, has helped the Longhorns return to a three guard rotation with Terrence Rencher.

Since his return for the Dec. 15 Connecticut game, Tyler has been on fire. He has led the Horns in scoring 10 of the 14 games since his return.

"No one is playing better than Tyler in the entire country," Penders said.

Albert Burditt anchors the middle for the Longhorns again this season, but he is helped by the added depth of transfers Rich McIver (6-9, 245 pounds), Carl Simpson (6-8, 230), and Tremaine Wingfield (6-7, 230).

Texas finished a tough non-conference schedule with a 7-5 record. It lost to nationally-ranked teams Kentucky, Illinois, and Connecticut and to Florida, who beat Kentucky last Tuesday.

"I think if we win 20 we'll be in (the NCAA tournament)," Penders said. "We do have some quality losses and close losses to good teams."

– Ryan Carssow

******************************

******************************

BROOKS' SQUAD CAUGHT IN TIME WARP

Shades of 1959 loom as losing streak continues

There aren't too many people around the University of Houston who can even begin to remember 1959.

But that was the last year its basketball team suffered a losing season.

That is a string of 35 consecutive winning seasons. UCLA and UNLV are the only other basketball programs in the nation which can boast of success on that scale.

But at 2-12, Houston is making a strong bid at ending its streak as every one of its players is in unfamiliar territory.

"This (the losing season) has been terribly hard to get used to," said senior center Rafael Carrasco. "Things just haven't fallen into place this year."

Things haven't fallen into place at home either. What has historically been known as a tough place to play for Cougar opponents, Houston's 1993—94 record at Hofheinz Pavilion is a paltry 1-6 – a far cry from when it was 13-1 in front of the home folks last season.

But the Cougars' inability to win at home has been the least of their problems.

One of the most obvious of setbacks is the loss of three starters from a year ago. Charles "Bo" Outlaw and David Diaz carried the bulk of Houston's offensive production, while Derrick Smith was an added force inside.

Without those three, Head Coach Alvin Brooks has had to force other players to fill those voids and abandon the roles they played last year.

"We have got a few guys who are trying to adjust to new roles on the team," Brooks said.

Brooks was mainly talking about players like Carrasco, who are trying to make their transition a smooth one.

With the loss of Outlaw, Carrasco has been called on to be more of an offensive force – moving outside and setting screens. In the past, he was virtually used as a key rebounder and an added distraction for opponents.

The results have been an un-center-like .444 shooting percentage and an average of only 8.7 points per game.

"(Transition problems) might have been part of (our overall troubles)," Carrasco said. "It seems like we have all the right pieces, but we just haven't put them together."

But sophomore forward and top prospect Tim Moore may be one of those missing pieces the Cougars are trying to find a place for in their inside game. In an 85-81 loss to the Baylor Bears on Jan. 22, Moore finally showed signs of getting into shape after missing Houston's first six games.

He delivered with a strong 33-point, 16-rebound performance and gave Brooks hope for the months to come.

"We have been searching for some type of inside game, and I was very pleased with the way Tim played," Brooks said. "He should be better come March."

Poor shooting, proving to be a critical problem for the Cougars, reared its ugly head once again during the Cougars’ 67-60 loss to Texas A&M on Jan. 19. Houston was only 9-of-26 in the second half and shot only 41.2 percent for the game.

This is at the root of all the Cougars' problems, such as a 0-4 SWC start. They have a dismal .407 field goal percentage – dead last in the conference.

Jessie Drain, who was called on to be more of a scorer this season, is shooting an abysmal 40 percent and is averaging only 10.7 points per SWC contest.

"I've been getting down on myself because my shot isn't falling," Drain said. "But I think I'm starting to get over it."

Drain made most of his shots against the Aggies and Bears, including nine 3-pointers, in impressive 16- and 19-point efforts respectively.

However, Drain said he feels the team's main problems stem from the fact that most of the players are inexperienced and have not played together much.

"We're still getting used to each other," Drain said.

With the exception of Carrasco, Drain and senior guard Anthony Goldwire, the other players in the Cougars' rotation are either freshmen, junior college transfers or those who saw the bench most of the time.

Brooks, however, assures that his team is making progress, even through all 12 losses. But 1959 is still in the back of his mind.

*****************************

*****************************

INJURY-PLAGUED SEASON HAUNTS KENLAW; LADY COOGS BATTLE ADVERSITY TO REDISCOVER WINNING WAYS

Coach Jessie Kenlaw is not having a good year.

She witnessed her Lady Cougars bound to a 5-2 record to start the season – the only losses to nationally-ranked Auburn and Stephen F. Austin.

Then she watched in horror as her team tumbled to six straight losses and her roster shrank to nine mostly healthy players.

A 78-68 victory over Baylor on Saturday rescued the Cougars (6-8, 1-3 SWC) from holding sole possession of the Southwest Conference cellar.

"It's not going too good right now," Kenlaw said. "It's been frustrating for coaches and players."

Especially for team members, who have seen key players fall to injury.

Post Sandra "Binky" Perkins, a senior transfer from Columbia State (Tenn.) Junior College, was a major recruit for Kenlaw. Perkins averaged 31.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks for the Lady Chargers.

"She's definitely an impact player in the paint," Kenlaw said.

But she suffered a knee injury in the preseason that limited her capacity to play. Perkins managed to be productive off the bench, averaging six points and four rebounds in 13 minutes the first 10 games of the season. Then the pain caught up with her and her season ended.

"The loss of Perkins was a big surprise and the biggest disappointment of the season," Kenlaw said. "It was so painful for her to go out and practice with us, she had to pull herself out of the games."

Also lost for the season are 6-foot freshman forward Shelsea Fore and sophomore post Yvette Westbrooks of Alief Elsik. Fore played in only five games last year before injuring her knee and Westbrooks saw limited action in 22 games for UH in 1992—93.

The Cougars, though, are far from despair and might have finally found some good news with the return of Niki Washington.

A freshman guard from Seminole High School in Sanford, Fla., Washington suffered a dislocated shoulder Dec. 11 in a 62-56 win over Lamar.

She didn't return until the Baylor game but contributed 11 points, five rebounds and five steals in 16 minutes off the bench. Four of those points came during a decisive 8-2 run in the closing minutes that put Baylor away.

An ice wrap was applied to her sore left shoulder immediately after the game.

Kenlaw said she expects Washington to be able to return to full-time status soon. But is that enough?

The team had a players-only meeting after practice Friday that freshman standout Pat Luckey said cured everything.

"I don't think we have a problem anymore," said Luckey, who leads the Cougars averaging 18.7 points and 8.5 rebounds. "The meeting bonded everybody. We're all on the same page."

Luckey added that the roster length mattered little in the win-loss columns.

"It doesn't matter how many players you have, it's how well you do on the court," she said. "We need to start working together as a team. We need to know our role on the court.

"(The problem) is our defense. Offensively, everybody can shoot and score. If we get our defense down our offense will come."

During the losing streak, the Cougars had been facing something of an identity crisis. Instead of playing their normal game, Houston would play down to the level of the lesser-talented teams.

Texas Christian, at 5-9, stole its lone SWC victory from Houston, 78-72 in Fort Worth.

Yet when 1993 national champion Texas Tech came to town, the Red Raiders could only manage a one-point lead over UH at the half before pulling away for the win.

"We have to beat them all," said Kenlaw, who is 59-44 in three-plus seasons at UH. "Every game is a key game for us. We have to go out and find a way to win. We're not going out with the killer instinct."

As a result, Houston averages only 68.2 points per game, which ranks last in the conference. Couple that with its sixth place ranking in scoring defense (72.8), and the Cougars have a definitive need to improve their focus.

The return of Antoinette Isaac from academic ineligibility in the fall has helped, and the Baylor win seems to be the turnaround game the Cougars needed.

They have shown their ability to apply pressure defense and Kenlaw is utilizing her timeouts more wisely to provide her players with needed rest.

"We're still focused on this year. We're not giving up on this season yet," Kenlaw said.

******************************

******************************

NO. 44 HAYES HONORED WITH HOFHEINZ ENSHRINEMENT

The No. 44 jersey that now hangs from the rafters of Hofheinz Pavilion is a reminder. It represents greatness past but forever remembered.

University of Houston coaching legend Guy V. Lewis put the retirement of the jersey number in perspective with a simple introduction at the halftime ceremony of the Dec. 20 UCLA game.

"Here is the greatest basketball player in the history of the University of Houston – Elvin Hayes."

With that, "The Big E" stepped to center court and the largest Hofheinz crowd of the 1993—94 season showed their admiration with a thunderous standing ovation.

Hayes, a NBA Hall of Fame inductee and the third highest scorer in NBA history, also had his number retired by the Washington Bullets.

Despite these accomplishments, Hayes told the crowd, "I don't think anything could happen to me in basketball that has meant as much as tonight."

Hayes' jersey is the first ever retired at UH in any sport.

"Accolades are more meaningful when they come from a person's school and hometown," he later said.

This year marks the 25th anniversary of Houston's 1968 regular-season national championship team. Hayes was the team co-captain along with current Detroit Pistons coach Don Chaney.

On Jan. 20, 1968, the No. 2 Cougars played the No. 1 UCLA Bruins before 52,693 at the Astrodome in what became known as the "Game of the Century."

"I have very vivid memories of that game," Hayes said. "It was a super event."

It was an event not only for the university and the city, but for the entire nation. An estimated 12 million viewers watched the game, the first-ever nationally televised college basketball game.

Houston defeated UCLA 71-69 on two Hayes free throws with under a minute remaining. Hayes totaled 39 points and 15 rebounds.

"No one knew that night what effect that game would have on us 20 years later," Hayes said. "It has had a profound effect on my life. Afterward, everyone knew Elvin Hayes."

Lew Alcindor (now known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) was the superstar center for the Bruins, and Hayes was Houston's resident All-American. Alcindor finished with a below-average 15 points and 12 boards. The intensely competitive rivalry that would last through 16 NBA seasons developed.

Hayes and Alcindor first met during a workout in UCLA's Pauley Pavilion at the 1966 NCAA West Regional.

"Before our first game we were very cordial. They beat us, and everything changed," Hayes said. "Our two lines began to veer and would never meet again. The game here made that bridge even wider."

Hayes crossed many bridges at UH.

He and Chaney were the first black athletes to play for the Cougars. Despite the problems he encountered, years later Hayes looks back on the experience fondly.

"We were made to feel welcome," he said. "There were more problems away from home than at home. Most of the animosity was toward the university for taking the steps toward doing this."

Former teammate Carlos Bell, a letterman from 1966—69, said the welcome encouragement Hayes gave him made the man special.

"He was unselfish," Bell said. "If you had a problem with your game he would be willing to stay after and help you out."

Hayes success on the court remains unparalleled in UH basketball history.

He was named National College Player of the Year in 1968 (36.8 points, 18.9 rebounds per game). The San Diego Rockets made him the overall No. 1 NBA draft pick the same year, and he went on to play in eight NBA all-star games and lead the Bullets to the NBA title in 1978.

He holds 12 UH records, including: Career totals of 2884 points and 1602 rebounds; career averages of 31 points and 17.2 rebounds; season totals of 1214 points and 624 rebounds; and eight of the 10 highest single-game scoring and rebounding totals in Cougar history.

Many of today's UH students and basketball fans were not even born when Hayes was dominating the paint for Houston.

Their memories of Cougar basketball dominance are of the early eighties Phi Slamma Jamma teams of Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler.

This fact does not bother Hayes.

"What those teams and Olajuwon and Drexler have to still live with is people saying, 'He was good, but he wasn't as good as Elvin Hayes.' "

No other Cougar player was. And no other Cougar player has the reminder of the hanging jersey to prove it.

SOULS OF MISCHIEF SHAKE UP THE WEST COAST ON RELEASE

by Dongean Van John McAdams

It's a funky West Coast thing.

Souls of Mischief hail from Oakland, Calif. and make no bones about it.

'93 til Infinity further takes hip-hop music down the road first traveled by De La Soul.

The Souls have the smooth style of A Tribe Called Quest but at times lyrically break into the frenentic rap style pioneered by hip-hop groups like the Leaders of the New School.

'93 til Infinity is bass-heavy. On many of the tracks, the Souls use a bass player rather than a bass sample and it pays off in a CD that's a joy to hear.

The bass licks are intricate and supports well the band's West Coast style of hip-hop.

Some of the tracks extremely worthy of mention are "Batting Practice," "A Name I Call Myself" and the title track.

Hanging out with the Souls of Mischief on this work is Del the Funkee Homosapien.

On the whole, the samples are righteous, the bass line thumps and the lyrics rock.

For pure hip-hop enthusiasts, '93 til Infinity is one CD that is well worth the money.