NRG HELPS THE EARTH

by Tom Turner

A piece of music history has just been made by the earth-friendly Greenpeace organization.

Some of the biggest names in music today joined together to compile the first ever solar-produced album. Everyone from R.E.M. and U2 to Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. and L7 contribute a live track to the compilation album.

<I>Alternative NRG<P> is the second compilation release by Greenpeace, with music styles ranging from alternative rock and rap to dance. The first fund-raising release by Greenpeace sold around four million copies worldwide.

Nearly all of the tracks contributed by the bands have been previously released on studio albums, but for this album they are performed live exclusively for this project. Soundgarden with Bryan May performs a strong version of "New Damage." Along with this, EMF performs "Search and Destroy," UB40 contributes "Sing Our Own Song," and Sonic Youth plays "JC," to name a few of the tracks.

Greenpeace's approach to <I>Alternative NRG<P> is to not only speak about the environment, but to point out ways of improving it. All of the funds raised by the album go to support the Energy and Climate Campaign.

This campaign basically works to limit the deforestation of the tropical rain forests, restrict the burning of fossil fuels, and develop new energy policies.

<I>Alternative NRG<P> has a little something for almost every musical taste. Along with the great music, the funds raised from the album go towards a good cause.

So now, instead of buying an album, and having the money just vanishing into some corporate big-wig's pocket, you can put your money toward a good cause and get a good album at the same time.

*******************************************************

PHONY BOMB MAKES BIG IMPACT ON CAMPUS

Making the transition from winter vacation into the hectic first week of classes is not easy --especially when there's a bomb- scare on campus.

A bomb-like object made of clay and wires was discovered Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. in Room 116 of the Arts and Engineering Annex by an art professor cleaning out her classroom before students arrived, said Fran Howell of UH media relations.

Attached to the object was a note. "It was written by an obviously emotionally troubled person," she said.

"The note is not available and we can't discuss the details of the note because there is an on-going investigation," said Robert Hurst of HPD media relations.

"The teacher called UHPD to come and take a look at it. (UHPD) then called the Houston Police Department," Howell said. "(HPD) came and looked at it and were concerned enough to call in the bomb squad."

Classes in the ARA building were evacuated and the bomb squad went to work.

"In a case like this, they treated it like a loaded gun," Howell said. "They took X-rays to see what was inside of the wad of clay and it could not be determined."

A bomb squad official confirmed that one squad member was sent in to determine exactly what the object was.

"He was dressed from head to toe in protective gear," Howell said. "And streets near the building were closed off."

The team discovered the organized mass of clay and wires was just a hoax and the building was reopened at 2:05 p.m.

However, bomb squad officials would not comment on procedures used to determine the construction was not genuine.

Cathy Hunt, associate chair of the art department, discovered the contraption on the end of a table.

"It was in a white plastic bag," Hunt said. "It could have been sitting there since the end of last semester."

Hunt said she looked inside the bag to make sure she wouldn't be throwing something important out with the garbage.

What she found surprised her. Inside the white bag she found a bag of cookies and the "bomb" with a note attached to it.

"I've never seen a bomb before, so I got another faculty member in to look at it," she said. "It had the appearance of clay and was a gray-brown (color) with wires running in and out of it."

Hunt said that clay is not something used in the etching course taught in her class and normally wouldn't be found in the class.

While students and professors were displaced by the scare, it didn't stop some from going on with classes. Some professors conducted classes on the lawn.

"I was able to meet some of my students and some were adding add-dropping with me," Hunt said. "But we will still meet regularly in the same room."

The so-called bomb is now in the custody of HPD and is being investigated along with the attached note.

DRIVE-BY VICTIMS SHOW IMPROVEMENT

Two men seriously injured in a drive-by shooting near campus Monday are now in fair condition, according to Ben Taub Hospital officials.

"There are no suspects or arrests in the case," said Robert Hurst of HPD media relations. The three assailants are still at large.

At 3:30 p.m. in front of the University Apartments on Canfield, three men in a rust-colored Toyota Corolla opened fire on Frederick Thomas, 19, and Robert Thomas, 27, in the parking lot of the complex.

"The three (men) and two brothers got into an altercation in the parking lot before the shooting," Hurst said. Also, any gang affiliation of the men involved has not been confirmed, he said.

Eight bullets were fired from the Toyota into the brothers' car, Houston Police Officer E.B. Dozier said. Three of the bullets pierced the older brother in his upper torso and one bullet hit the younger Thomas in his face. The bullet exited the back of Frederick's head leaving him paralyzed, Dozier said.

"We can not release any more information on (the brothers') condition because it is too early to make a proper diagnosis," said Roger Widmire of Ben Taub media relations.

An eleventh grade student of Yates High School who, was walking by,was another victim of the assault on the brothers. The bullet went through the 16-year-old's right leg as she walked home from school.

She was subsequently taken to Hermann Hospital for treatment and released last night.

AAS HOLDS FORUM ON FORMER PROFESSOR

by Tiffany Vaughner

Students, faculty and administration in African American Studies Tuesday got a chance to voice their opinions about why they believed an adjunct UH professor was not asked to return this spring.

The professor, Alex Swan, left under accusations that he was a racist. Swan said, in an earlier interview, that the two white, female students who brought the charges against him had written a letter to Anthony Dworkin, head of the Sociology Department.

Swan said in the letter the students called him "a racist and a fanatic" and had told other students that they feared for their lives.

Dworkin said he had heard there was a letter but that it had no bearing on Sociology's decision to hire another instructor for the class.

When asked about the letter, Linda Reed, director of AAS, said,"We get back to that repeatedly. There were some concerns but that was not the only factor. There were some other factors which I really don't want to get into."

Many of the students expressed feelings of betrayal. They said they felt they had been let down by the leadership in AAS and that Swan had not been treated fairly. Some said they felt that the meeting did not answer all their questions.

Kevin Ballew, a senior psychology major, said,"I think this is very bad leadership. The analogy I tend to make is if two black students on this campus were to go and complain about a white professor, do you think that professor would be fired whether that professor was tenured or not?

Ballew said he believed the situation was handled badly. "For a black administrator to terminate that professor, without talking to that professor, without letting that professor know exactly why he was terminated, without hearing that professor's side, that to me is very bad leadership," he said.

Debritha Brooks, a sophomore graphics communications major, said she thought the controversy surrounding Swan could be damaging to AAS.

"The thoughts of the black students on this campus have changed drastically about what is and what isn't in this department and that could be a problem in the future.A lot of students may not want to take (AAS) as a minor because they will feel like they have no support, simply because two people complained and one very excellent professor was let go from this department with no explanation to the students at all."

Brooks went on to say that she felt Reed avoided some questions and gave indirect answers to others.

Elwyn Lee, vice president of student affairs, said he thought it was a very productive meeting.

Reed also said she thought the meeting went well.

"I felt it was a good meeting. We aired our concerns, we had real long discussions. We talked about the program and (the students') concerns and how we can go forward in the future with open lines of communication."

She said she was pleased with result of the meeting. "I feel good about the outcome and I think they feel good about the outcome and feel more connected now with the program than they had been."

"There were some people who said they were feeling unconnected and disjointed, not necessarily with the program but with themselves as students, and I think we got some of that resolved," Reed said.

Henry Bell, a junior economics-political science major and president of the UH Black Student Union, said this incident should serve to bring everyone together and not tear the students farther apart.

"I feel like we can work together and we can do something positive. I think everyone in the meeting expressed a mutual concern for the program, and I just hope that from this meeting we can start bridging some of the gaps that we have made," Bell said.

Priscilla Evans, a freshman communications major, expressed similar feelings.

"I think that African American Studies is a wonderful program and I truly believe that all black students on this campus really need to be involved in this program and see what a family we have."

She said students who are not involved are "just making up bad things about AAS and continuing their thinking that we are not doing anything," Evans said.

SA AND FINANCIAL AID DEMYSTIFY FORMS

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

If you've ever had to fill out a financial aid application, you know it can be worse than an income tax form. It's long, tedious and easy to make a mistake on. One mistake can mean weeks of delay.

Peter Bagarozzo, assistant director of Financial Aid, understands the problems some students have with the forms. As a result, Bagarozzo, with the assistance of the Students' Association, has created a workshop to help students fill out their financial aid forms.

"The applications both for student loans and federal applications for financial aid have changed for 1994—95." Bagarozzo said. "We thought it would be a good idea to get students to try and understand what the changes are all about. Sometimes the very subtle change is one that can cause a mistake."

The 1994—95 Financial Aid Workshop will run through the month of February in the University Center. The one-hour workshops will take students through the applications line by line. Any questions about the processing of the application will be answered.

Students will also have access to the financial aid counselors. Students who don't have time, or only want to ask one specific question, won't have to go to the financial aid office.

"We are going to run this (workshop) subject to considerations that pertain to the availability of rooms." Bagarozzo said.

The Financial Aid Office was able to utilize the University Center because of the Students' Association's offer to sponsor the program.

"Willie Munson and the Students' Association have been very helpful and cooperative, specifically Coy Wheeler," Bagarozzo said.

The Financial Aid Office is restricted financially from being charged for University Center rooms. The Students' Association's sponsorship has made it possible for Bagarozzo to obtain the space he needs for the workshop.

"The Students' Association understood what we were trying to do and were willing to help us to whatever extent possible," Bagarozzo said.

Coy Wheeler, speaker of the Students' Association Senate, said, "We thought it was a good thing for the students. Anytime Financial Aid wants to come out of their office and go to the students and help them, I'm all for that. It should be a great thing. Students can come and ask questions. It will give a better perception of the office."

Bagarozzo has also discussed the possibility of utilizing the UC Satellite for the workshops.

The intention is to always do more for students in terms of outreach," Bagarozzo said.

YOUNG FORENSICS TEAM HEADING FOR NATIONAL NOTICE

The Individual Events section of the UH forensics society has qualified six students for nine events in the national competition.

What is so astonishing is that the program is only five months old and it is run by volunteers. Most other competitive national forensics teams are run by full-time paid faculty and have existed for decades, some for centuries.

Michael Fain, IE director, expects to qualify students in over 20 events. This would place UH among the top schools in the nation.

"This is mind-blowing. There is no (new) program that will compare with us," said Fain.

Leigh Anne Dear, director of the debate program, credits Fain and Assistant coach, Ron Ragston with the success.

"It's through their diligent training that we have the program we do," she said.

"Without them we wouldn't have an IE program," she added.

When budget cuts began to affect the humanities programs in 1986, funding for forensics dropped drastically. The IE program dissolved and the debate program was run by the students without outside help.

Dear, an Exxon analyst currently on sabbatical, volunteered to direct the debate program in 1991. Formally ranked in the top 100 of all debaters in the country, she volunteered to sharpen her public speaking skills and to teach the students something they can't learn in a classroom, she explained.

"I'm doing this for the rewards of volunteerism," she said.

Although all three coaches were former champions and expect UH to have a very strong showing nationally, they give complete credit to the students.

UH VS. SMU REDUCED TO HO-HUM STATUS

A year ago at this time, a Houston-Southern Methodist basketball game would have probably been billed as the Southwest Conference "Game of the Week."

Both teams were at the top of their league and having impressive seasons.

But nowadays, the Cougars going up against the Mustangs is nothing more than "just a game."

The two tip-off tonight in Dallas at SMU's Moody Coliseum at 7:15 p.m.

For the Ponies (2-12, 0-4 SWC), the story has been their inexperience and lack of depth.

They have had to rely on the performance of freshman guard Troy Matthews and senior guard Troy Dorner, who saw limited action last season when SMU won the 1993 regular season SWC title.

"I didn't think that (SMU) would have the continuity they did last season," said Houston head coach Alvin Brooks. "Coming into the season, I knew they weren't going to be that good."

To prove that comment, the Mustangs average only 72 points per game on 42 percent shooting – not the type of stats a coach like John Shumate would like to have as defending SWC regular-season champs.

But at this point, Brooks and his Cougars are in the same boat.

They share the same 2-12, 0-4 record as SMU and are off to the worst start in UH history.

The Cougars are shooting a conference-low 40.3 percent from the field and average only 71.3 points per game, also dead last in the league.

Nevertheless, Brooks still feels like his ballclub has the advantage in tonight's game.

"My feeling is that (Anthony) Goldwire (will be) the best guard on the floor and that Tim Moore (will be) the best big man on the floor," he said.

Goldwire and Moore are coming off strong 19- and 33-point performances respectively, against Baylor last Saturday.

However, Brooks is concerned about SMU's ability to shoot it up from beyond the 3-point line. The Mustangs are just off the conference lead in treys made as they average 6.4 per contest.

Mustang senior guard Chad Allen is third in the league from behind the arc as he averages 2.7 per outing and has nailed at least one bomb in 87 of 95 career games.

But Matthews and Dorner are coming off two of the top performances in the SWC last week. Matthews poured in 14 points against Texas Christian while Dorner killed the Frogs with 21.

This is the first meeting between the two clubs this season after splitting the two games played last year.

The Cougars and Mustangs hope the matchups between them can once again be worthy of recognition just as they were in '93.

CONFUCIUS NO HELP FOR LADY COOGS

If the Lady Cougars had gone out for Chinese food before their 78-68 win over Baylor Saturday and received a fortune cookie, the message inside might have read: "Your path to greatness is littered with obstacles and falling rocks."

After ending a six-game losing streak with the victory, their new fortune would better read: "A fork in the road stares you in the face. Choose your path wisely."

Whether it be fate or destiny or just plain luck, the Cougars stand at the crossroads of opportunity to salvage a subpar season.

A win tonight over 9-4 Southern Methodist would give Houston a modest two-game winning streak and an important win at home. Of the 11 games remaining on Houston's schedule, only five are at home including conference-leader Texas A&M and always dangerous Texas.

"I hope we've hit our stride," said head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "That (Baylor win) definitely was a confidence booster. When you lose, lose, lose you start to question yourself."

Basketball played philosophically, though, doesn't win games. Production does. SMU has plenty of that.

Leslie Frazier and Kerri Delaney both score in double figures and are in the top 10 rebounders in the league.

"They're an excellent team in transition," Kenlaw said. "We have to contain them somewhat. They have excellent shooters. (Our) defensive intensity is going to be key for us."

So is the return of 5-11 freshman guard Niki Washington, who has been out most of the season with a variety of injuries, most recently a separated shoulder. She had 11 points, five boards and five steals against Baylor.

"Niki can be very explosive," Kenlaw said. "She experienced a rash of setbacks all season, so she's never been 100 percent. She's one the most versatile players on our team."

Versatility is something the Cougars need with only nine healthy players. Both Pat Luckey and Michelle Harris have been playing in positions they are less than comfortable with.

Yin and yang aside, the Cougars are hoping their fortunes take a turn down the path to victory.

TOQUE A TASTY TREAT INDEED

by Shannon Bishop

I don't usually eat at restaurants with stupid, pretentious names, but I will make exceptions for The Quilted Toque.

Located at 3939 Montrose Blvd., this restaurant has been a favorite of mine since it opened in 1992.

Baskets of food decorate the front – fruits, vegetables and scones. The Quilted Toque has some of the best scones on this side of the Atlantic – crumbly and dense, in a variety of flavors, such as chocolate hazelnut and whole-wheat raisin. They're perfect for dunking in their good, strong coffee.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served everyday. And, while it is easy to rack up a big tab, the careful culinary consumer will enjoy a healthy and economical meal.

For a nice, light breakfast, stick to the scones. If you're in the mood for a heartier meal, try the breakfast bread pudding or one of the omelettes. The lunch and dinner menus offer a variety of delicious, low-priced entrees.

Last week I went in for dinner and ordered the house hash with grilled vegetables – "our signature dish," the waitress told me. It is a cornmeal and fresh corn casserole, deliciously chewy, covered in a slightly sweet marsala sauce, accompanied by grilled zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers, and eggplant. You can get this with grilled chicken for an extra few bucks.

For a light meal, try a cup of the homemade soup and the mescalun salad. This is an assortment of wild field greens with shavings of Parmesan, lightly dressed in a vinaigrette. The soups change daily, but last week the restaurant offered a sublime cream of mushroom, not too rich, but woodsy and satisfying.

Other favorites of mine are the Moroccan couscous with eggplant and yogurt sauce and the grilled sea bass with lemon sauce and horseradish potatoes. The restaurant also offers daily pasta, meat and fish specials.

The Quilted Toque is a big restaurant with an open dining room, high ceilings and an elevated bar area. The bar seemed to be a popular place, filled with the beautiful people sipping large, expensive martinis through pursed lips as <I>Deadicated<P>, an album of Grateful Dead covers, plays in the background.

The decor is sparse, American Primitive maybe; understated, even lacking personality. If you sit in the bar (or don't) your options for low-cost dining increase with the smaller bar menu displayed on a wall-sized chalkboard. It offers a variety of flavored liquors, wines by the glass, sandwiches, pizzas and appetizers.

Try the hamburger with homemade mayo and shoestring potatoes, or the Neapolitan pizza, but do not get the roasted head of garlic with goat cheese. I'm sure it's probably good, but I will never pay seven bucks for a head of garlic, and I recommend that you save your money for dessert.

The rice pudding (which takes 15 minutes to make) is unlike anything I've ever had – creamy and chunky and crunchy, all at the same time. I also had the chocolate raspberry bread pudding. It was served warm, made with big chunks of chocolate, fresh raspberries and rich bread, bathed in a crème anglaise. Bring along a friend or two when ordering this dessert. My friend and I barely made a dent in our serving.

Although this restaurant can be a little high-priced for the struggling college student, I like it for the good food and a few other reasons.

First of all, other than peak weekend brunch and dinner hours, this place is never very crowded. I don't like waiting for a table, nor do I appreciate the "turn and burn" approach of many high-traffic (albeit, often lower-priced) restaurants. I like to linger, and this place lets me. The wait staff is nice too. The other night, my waitress was professional in every way, and actually had a personality (and a nose ring). She put up with my frequent indecision and offered many menu explanations and suggestions.

Finally, the kitchen is accommodating. In addition to offering many "healthy" selections, they are more than happy to cook dishes to your specifications.

My only concrete complaint, and I know this is nit-picky, is that The Quilted Toque has valet parking. "Classy," you say? This place is in a strip shopping center with a large parking lot. In order to park in front of the restaurant, you have to pay. I think this is silly. Valet parking has it's place, but the Quilted Toque is not it. Park farther down the lot or on a side street.

The patio is a great place to grab a bite on sunny days. The Quilted Toque is a place to go for the food, not the atmosphere. Honestly, the real me despises the trendy side of this Montrose eatery, but the kid in me loves the pudding.

Bishop is a senior majoring in creative writing