TRACK TEAM OPENS IN LOUISIANA

TELLEZ TO MEASURE SQUAD'S ABILITY TO SUCCEED IN NCAAs

Track coach Tom Tellez will lead his team to Baton Rouge, La., this Saturday to see how they measure up to the competition.

The Purple Tiger Classic, hosted by Louisiana State, opens the indoor season for the Cougars, who use these meets as a way to prepare for the Southwest Conference meet that will be held Feb. 18-19 in Fort Worth.

Head coach Tom Tellez will use the meet to judge where his athletes stand.

"We don't know how people have trained during the break," he said.

The coaches will look at tape of the meet to see where improvement is needed. As a team, the Cougars use these meets to practice in a competitive situation.

Individually, the athletes will use these meets to try and qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships in Indianapolis. While the Cougars will not be trying to win any team titles, the meets still have importance.

Tellez is optimistic about both the men's and women's chances this year. He said they have a combination of talent and depth that has been lacking for the last couple years.

The men's team is led by sprinter Sam Jefferson, who was third in the NCAAs last year in the 100-meter dash and made the 60-meter indoor finals.

He finished no worse than third last year and almost broke 10 seconds in the 100 when he ran a 10.05.

"There is no question that he's a lot better now than he was last year," Tellez said. "He's one of the better sprinters in the United States."

Another person to look out for this year will be newcomer Ubeja Anderson, a hurdler and, from what Tellez has seen in practice, extremely promising.

Sprinter and long-jumper Sheddric Fields is hoping to improve on last year, when he suffered an injury from which he never fully recovered.

"He looks outstanding in practice, and I look for him to be just really special," Tellez said.

Sprinter Cynthia Jackson and hurdler Dawn Burrell anchor the women's team.

Starlie Graves was injured last year and was unable to compete, but returns this year hoping to make up for lost time.

"Again, we have good depth; we have good quality in the women's program. They're very similar to the men," Tellez said.

The LSU meet is a dual meet, and the Cougars will return Feb. 5. There are only three meets, including this one, before the SWC Indoors. Hopefully, they will return with a better idea of where they stand.

*******************************************************

BOMB HOAX LITERALLY A WORK OF ART

The district attorney's office decided Thursday not to press charges of terroristic threats and orchestration of a bomb hoax stemming from a student’s art project, according to a UH Media Relations official.

Art Professor Cathy Hunt found the bomb-like object Tuesday morning in Room 116 of the Arts and Engineering Annex Building. The "bomb" was later determined to be an old, discarded art project.

The student was, nevertheless, issued a student life referral.

Police were notified of the art project after the student read about the bomb threat and the ensuing investigation by the Houston Police Department in Wednesday’s Daily Cougar.

"He was really trying to do something creative," said Fran Howell of UH Media Relations. "It just crossed the line into something serious."

The concoction of clay and wires was so realistic that the bomb squad was called to campus to dismantle it. As a result, classes were immediately cancelled, the building was completely evacuated and nearby streets were closed.

"No one was trying to do anything with criminal intent," Howell said. "To him, it was an art project, and he wasn't looking at the big picture."

The student's name cannot be released by police.

"He was not charged with anything, so we can't give his name or any information on his case," said Robert Hurst of Houston Police media relations.

According to Howell, the student designed the so-called bomb for a sculpture assignment requiring something with a tool.

"He decided to do tools of a revolution as opposed to a hammer or something," Howell said.

The note attached to the project that was believed to be "written by an emotionally troubled person" was also a part of the creativity of his project.

Although the content of the note cannot be disclosed, "it was a quote from another source dealing with revolution," Howell said. "It wasn't anything that he had made up at all. It was the icing on the project."

The student's character was briefly investigated, however. "Art professors described him as a peacemaker, not a troublemaker. He is a very stable person," she said.

"He had quite a bit of contact with people in uniform as a result of this," Howell said. "The police want people to realize something like this is taken very seriously."

While the student did not hesitate to call police and explain his mistake, his actions were still considered serious enough to be reported to the district attorney's office for consideration of two misdemeanor charges.

The project was left behind in the room when the student was cleaning out his locker before the break, Howell said.

FRATS RUSH TO RECRUIT

by Amanda Swaty

Hoping to dispel the traditional beer-guzzling <I>Animal House<P> stereotype that most people have of the fraternity system, the Interfraternity Council has chosen to adopt a new slogan – Get to Know Us.

IFC Rush Chairman Carlos Vaquero, a junior political science major, said this is a trend that has been sweeping the fraternity systems throughout the nation.

"We aren't just for the white, upper-middle class, preppy anymore. We've become user-friendly."

One way in which the average person can explore the new user-friendly attitude of the Greek community is through the upcoming Spring Rush.

In this process, prospective members contact the Greek Life office, at 743—5183, at which point they are given an information card that basically asks about GPA and hobbies. The card is distributed to all fraternities in order to provide the prospective member with an opportunity to meet everyone.

"You should really rush all the fraternities in order to find the home that is right for you," Vaquero said.

Another way in which people can learn about the fraternity system is through the IFC-sponsored "Fraternity Forum." Scheduled to take place in the UC from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 2, the individual fraternities will have separate tables set up.

In this environment, students can either address any questions to the specific fraternity in which they are interested or simply get to know all of the men who are a part of the IFC. Vaquero is quick to point out this is an environment that promises to be "no-pressure."

The no-pressure approach is only one of the new policies the IFC has adopted for the upcoming semesters. One such policy is the Scholastic Policy, which specifies that for every half-point the fraternity average falls below 2.25, the fraternity will face one week of social probation. Vaquero hopes this will add a "school first" aspect to Greek life.

Another new approach, "Go Greek," involves trying to recruit those who would not traditionally join. Indeed, Vaquero stresses the importance of older students in the system. "They bring with them leadership experience that the younger pledges sometimes lack."

These students also will not face the financial burden of some Greeks at other universities. While fees at other universities can run up to $2500 per semester, UH students will pay more modest amounts reflecting the school's blue-collar nature. This, in combination with the academics, Vaquero hopes, will help improve the retention rate of the fraternity system.

"In a fraternity, you will find people with similar interests, a philanthropy to support, and most importantly, a home. At a commuter school like UH, that's pretty important," he said.

RICHARDS SPEAKS AT UH ON KIDS AND CRIME

by shane patrick boyle

"Most of our children are good kids," Texas Governor Ann Richards told an audience assembled at UH's Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

The governor came to campus to address the first public hearing of the Texas Commission on Children and Youth, created by the 73rd Legislature.

The commission was created to develop plans for addressing the needs of youth, including issues of family services, juvenile crime, education and health care.

"We all share responsibility for seeing every Texas child has an opportunity to grow up to be a healthy, happy, productive adult," she said.

"We know we are not necessarily meeting the responsibility," Richards added.

"Far too often, a child gets our attention and the use of our services only after they have given up on our schools or they've committed a crime, she said.

Richards said the state focuses so much attention on the small percentage of kids who turn to crime that the "good kids who need our services to keep them good" are neglected.

She said state and local officials cannot address juvenile crime without addressing education and public services. Statistics cited in a commission press release say that 1-in-5 teens drops out of school and 1-in-4 kids lives in poverty.

She said laws pertaining to the upkeep of public housing should be enforced because in order for juveniles to respect the law, "we must enforce the law."

Richards also addressed House Bill No. 72, which requires school districts to create alternative schools designed for disenfranchised students who have learning disabilities, discipline problems or criminal records.

She said these programs must be set up by local school districts.

"If they own the project, they will ensure it works," she said.

IGNORANCE EQUATES TO DEATH AT U.S. COLLEGES

The Center for Disease Control has estimated that 1 in 500 college students is infected with HIV. The statistic came from testing 20,000 blood samples drawn at 35 college health centers, including the UH Health Center.

The Health Center received $5,000 to participate in this survey which lasted from Sept. 1, 1989 to Dec. 31, 1990. Of the approximately 33,000 UH students, 437 were tested for HIV and two subjects tested positive.

Rosemary Hughes, associate director of Counseling and Testing and Learning Support Services said that this type of study is not reliable because of the small sample size.

"We couldn't extrapolate it to the entire campus," said Hughes. "Those are the people who choose to come to the Health Center."

HIV infection and AIDS is the sixth-leading cause of death among people ages 15—24, according to CDC statistics.

In order to catch the attention of this age group, the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the federal Department of Health and Human Services has developed a public service campaign. It is a cartoon that demonstrates the relationship between drug and alcohol abuse to unsafe sex. It is titled, <I>Get high, get stupid, get AIDS<P>." The cartoon characters are supposed to look, talk and act like young adults.

Hughes said that because college students feel invulnerable, they think they can't become infected with HIV. Thus, they engage in risky behaviors such as promiscuity especially when they are under the influence of drugs which lower their inhibitions.

Another problem is that people fail to learn the sexual history of their sex partners and are uncomfortable about asking their partners to use condoms.

Students are becoming more aware about how to protect themselves from getting AIDS and can identify risky behavior.

"Using condoms is really important," said Hughes. "The strategy might not be 100 percent effective, but except for abstinence, it is the best protection."

Hughes conducted a student survey in 1989 that is being replicated by a UH graduate student and will be published soon.

"The students surveyed had a fairly good attitude and were fairly knowledgeable, but that knowledge is not being translated into safer sexual behaviors," said Hughes.

Gail Prager, interim director of the Health Center said they test 60 people a month for HIV. Usually only one person a year tests positive. The test costs $10 and the results are confidential. The person taking the test must undergo counseling before and after the test, regardless of the results.

"Counseling is only as good as the data available at the time of that blood test," said Prager. "We may need to get another blood test if they go out and engage in risky behavior."

Every semester, UH offers a course on AIDS. The Health Education Department is offering a course to train people about HIV.

Learning Support Services conducts workshops to educate students on safer sex and also visits groups, fraternities and classes when asked. A weekly counseling service is also available for students who test positive for HIV. There is ongoing support for the four to 10 people who attend.

These services and courses will help students learn more about HIV and "not let fear get in the way of facts, and to have compassion for people who have HIV," said Hughes.

LUCKEY, VIGLIONE MATCHUP COULD BE ONE FOR THE AGES

For 16 games, Pat Luckey and Danielle Viglione have proven to women's Southwest Conference basketball what they can do.

Now they must prove it to each other.

When the Cougars (6-9, 1-4 SWC) take on the Texas Longhorns (11-5, 3-1 SWC) Saturday at 2 p.m. in Austin's Frank Erwin Center, many fans will witness the start of what could be the greatest rivalry in league history, even if the two players won't necessarily be guarding each other.

Both Cougar forward Luckey and Longhorn guard Viglione are leading their respective teams and the SWC in scoring.

Viglione averages 23.1 points per game while Luckey averages 18.5.

Both are coming off stellar high school careers in which they garnered national recognition. Viglione left prep school as the country's all-time leading 3-point shooter with 379 career treys.

Luckey ended her high school career as the leading scorer (25 ppg) on the nation's sixth-ranked team, earning All-American honors.

"(Viglione) has great work habits," said Texas coach Jody Conradt.

"Luckey has all the tools to be really big-time," said Houston coach Jessie Kenlaw. "(She is definitely) one of the most talented freshmen to enter our program."

While most spectators may have their eyes on Luckey and Viglione, Houston guard Michelle Harris and Texas guard Nekeshia Henderson will be another one of Saturday's key matchups as well.

Though Henderson has only played in nine of UT's games, she is still averaging 16.7 points. Harris has averaged 17.4 points during the Cougars' first five conference games.

But both teams will be entering Saturday's game coming off disappointing losses.

The Longhorns lost big at No. 1 Tennessee, 94-60, on Tuesday night as Viglione was held to only 14 points. The Cougars lost an 81-77 heartbreaker in Hofheinz Pavilion to Southern Methodist after Houston held a 10-point advantage at the half.

"We got too comfortable (with our lead against SMU)," Kenlaw said. "And we just didn't deserve to win."

However, Kenlaw says that when her team plays a more superior opponent, as is the case with the Longhorns, the Cougars seem to play better.

"It's hard to explain why (we play better)," she said. "We should play hard against everybody."

This is the first of two meetings this year between two teams that have had some heated matchups in recent years.

In 1992, the Cougars defeated the Longhorns 73-65 in Hofheinz to open the SWC season. The Longhorns bounced back to win in Houston last season, however, as Conradt's bunch won a thriller in overtime, 70-66.

"There's no question that (Houston vs. Texas) has always been a competitive rivalry," Kenlaw said. "Our kids tend to rise to their level."

But over the next four years, the Houston-Texas matchup could be more of an "individual" struggle.

TEXAS MAKES TERRIBLE FOE FOR COUGARS AFTER LOSS

by Chris Peña

Just when you thought things were going bad for the Houston Cougars, they now have to play the 11-6 Texas Longhorns at 4 p.m. Saturday in Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars are coming off a six-point loss to Southern Methodist Wednesday, giving UH sole possession of last place in the Southwest Conference with a 2-13 record, 0-5 in conference play.

Texas, on the other hand, beat Georgia in Austin Sunday and has its sights set on the top spot in the SWC with a 3-1 record behind 4-0 Texas A&M.

Houston assistant coach Ray Harton expects Texas to come out hard.

"I expect that they'll pressure us and that will open up the inside game," he said.

Sophomore forward Tim Moore will have to capitalize on the inside opportunities that the Texas defense allows.

Moore was a bright spot for the Cougars last week, posting career highs in points (33) and rebounds (16) Saturday against Baylor.

He followed up that performance with 20 more points and nine rebounds against SMU, Houston's 11th consecutive loss.

Houston will have to contain Texas guards B.J. Tyler and Terrence Rencher in order to have a shot at keeping the game close.

Tyler leads the SWC with 31.3 points and 3.5 steals per game.

Harton said the Cougars will also have to improve on their rebounding if they want to remain competitive.

"We have good rebounders," he said. "The problem is that they're not all going to the glass hard consistently."

Moore cannot outrebound Texas all by himself. He will need help from senior center Rafael Carrasco, who needs to step up and show the leadership he has learned during past winning seasons.

Senior guard Anthony Goldwire believes Houston can keep pace with the Longhorns' up-tempo offense.

"We're not going to slow it up against them because we can run with them," he said. "We can't let them dictate the game to us. We're going to come out and pressure them."

Although the two teams are headed in opposite directions, this game could turn interesting given the fierce rivalry that spans 53 games.

Texas knows it will be trying to beat the Cougars for the first time in its last four tries. Last year, the Cougars beat the Horns twice during the regular season and once in the SWC Tournament.

These days, though, Houston is not the dominating force it once was.

KODO'S EXHILARATING ANCIENT ART IN TOWN

by Lori Ball

Kodo's exhilarating performance in Houston was sold out last year, and this year's show promises to do the same.

Kodo, Japan's own percussion and dance company, returns to Houston for one night only when the Society for the Performing Arts presents Kodo's One Earth Tour on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Jones Hall.

In the Japanese language, <I>kodo<P> means both "heartbeat" and "children of the drum" and expresses the sound of a mother's heartbeat as well as the desire to play the drums purely, like a child.

The group evokes the "heartbeat" to provide a feast for the ears, eyes and soul of its audience members. It is a performance that can be described as a tremendous burst of adrenalin running through your veins. Kodo members go into a trance-like state when performing; the drummers offer themselves up as instruments to channel the world. The result is a sound so satisfying that to hear it only for a moment is to hear the sound of your soul.

Kodo began as a group of inexperienced urban-dwelling musicians. Together they searched out the traditional Japanese values of their ancestors from long ago. In 1971 they settled on Sado Island in the Sea of Japan, a place of such rural beauty that they at once decided to call it home, and they have been there ever since.

The group's performance has been described as "a deep and mystical connection with nature that enthralls audiences around the world."

The "voice" of the 19-member Japanese drum ensemble is produced by a spectacular 800-pound <I>o-daiko<P>, which is carved from a single tree more than five feet across.

Kodo also employs dance, mime and a variety of other instruments, including the shamisen, bamboo xylophone, gong, bamboo flute and wooden clacker. Still, the <I>taiko<P>, a traditional Japanese drum, is the instrument for which the group is world-renowned. It continually explore new possibilities with these ancient instruments.

Kodo’s original leader chose the <I>taiko<P> as "a vehicle for discipline and connection with the elemental kinship of ancient rural Japan." The group's arduous daily regimen then included and still includes running long distances and performing exercises that enhance flexibility and endurance. Academic study and practicing on the <I>taiko<P> are also required.

The company has appeared in the Far East, United States, France, Latin America, Australia and Africa. In 1981 it performed during the Berlin Festival and took the audience by storm. It also performed at the Los Angeles Olympic Arts Festival in 1984 where it sold out.

The group has collaborated on original compositions with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo Symphony Orchestra, Deutsche Opera Berlin, Circle Ensemble of Holland and the famous jazz drummers Max Roach and Elvin Jones. Kodo's music has also been featured in two major motion pictures – <I>JFK<P> and <I>Hard Target<P>.

Tickets are $5 and $10. They can be purchased at the Houston Ticket Center in Jones Hall 15 minutes before showtime. For more information, call 227—ARTS. Valet parking on Capitol at Louisiana is available for $6.

LSU GOOD BAROMETER FOR COUGAR SWIM TEAM IN FIRST HOME MEET

Although the Houston swimming and diving team lost its first four meets this season, head coach Phill Hansel said he feels the team has improved upon last year's 1-6-1 squad.

"Surprisingly enough, we are closer to where we need to be than where we were last season," he said.

Louisiana State arrives for a 4 p.m. meet today at the UH natatorium, which is located between Melcher and Garrison gyms.

Hansel said LSU is a balanced team full of talented swimmers.

"They'll be a good test for us event by event," he said. "In most cases, their kids' best-time performances are better than ours."

This season, Hansel has been most impressed with divers Donelle DuBois and Olivia Clark. DuBois took first place in the season-opening match against perennial powerhouse Texas Nov. 12.

"They both look like they’re on track to go to the NCAAs (individual championship meet)," Hansel said.

Sophomores Alexandra Heyns (freestyle) and Maria Rivera (backstroke) are the leading swimming candidates to make the individual national meet.

Freshman Nicola Clegg from South Africa has an outside shot to qualify in the breaststroke. She has had trouble adapting to the smaller U.S. pools because of her previous experience in much larger international pools.

"She has a chance, if she can learn to turn a little better," Hansel said.

The Cougars' best individual medley swimmer is Dregana Matovic, a former Yugoslavian national champion. She left her country because of the civil war between Bosnians and Serbs then enrolled at New York University. She is currently seeking political asylum.

"She's not dominant in any stroke, but she is pretty well balanced in all four," Hansel said.

The four positions on the freestyle relay team are still up for grabs among Heyns, Rivera, Matovic, Kristen de la Torre and Suzanne Wingenter.

"We're still a month away from (the) conference (champion-ship meet)," Hansel said. "The girls are working very hard, but truthfully, they're very tired right now."

The Southwest Conference championship meet is scheduled for Feb. 24—27 in Austin. The NCAA championships are March 17—19 in Indianapolis.

All home meets are open to the public and free for students.

DOUBLE ART ASSAULT

LEIBOVITZ, VAN GOGH AN UNLIKELY EXHIBIT PAIRING

The label <I>demimondaine of portraiture<P>, one given occasionally to celeb photographer Annie Leibovitz, is not always deserved.

Only a fraction of her voluminous <I>ouevre<P> is presented at the Museum of Fine Arts, which has on display 120 photographs from the ’70s through the early ’90s.

She got her start working for Rolling Stone magazine and continues to shoot assignments for Vanity Fair and others lucky enough to procure her services. She is the only high-profile female in a sea of male "superphotographers" that includes Steven Meisel, Herb Ritts and Francesco Scavullo.

Leibovitz's family portraits are quite folksy, speaking to her middle-brow sensibilities. Her mother and father are no more "American Gothic" than the churlish Roseanne and Tom Arnold.

One of the best works in the exhibit, "American Soldiers and Mary, Queen of the Negritos," captures the essence of the symbiotic relationship between Filipinos and American soldiers stationed on the island.

Portraits of a physically drained Dan Rather and relaxed Muhammad Ali take the subjects out of the context the public normally sees them in. Often, the subjects seem quirky, and, as in the case of a glitterball like the late pianist Liberace, flamboyant and excessively self-indulgent.

Some of her best portraits are of the bohemians, outsiders and of icons like a reserved, pensive Dalai Lama. The "Kibbutz Amir" photo, which presents an Israeli agrarian community, features 10 ladders and bags, which are used in an orchard.

Probably most well known for her photos of John Lennon – taken two hours before he was shot – Leibovitz's main talent is that she can coax subjects into revealing an aspect of themselves they don't generally reveal.

Dream Collection

Vincent Van Gogh, known primarily for his impetuous strokes, is one of several artists whose works have graced the walls of the Cone sisters' apartments.

His "A Pair of Boots," an oil painting of clunky, leather footwear, is notable for the texture and soft line.

Pierre-Auguste Renoir's "Washerwomen" celebrates the rustic aspect of France and is his "protest" painting. Instead of paying high fees for Paris-based models, he opted to travel to the countryside to capture the innocence of its women.

Most of the works featured are those of Fauvist master Henri Matisse. The Cone sisters, Baltimore natives, were patrons and admirers of the French artist. Works by the famed artist include a series of Auguste Rodin-inspired sculptures and a piéce de résistance, "Large Reclining Nude."

Also inspired by Rodin, Pablo Picasso's "Mask" (circa-1905) is a bronze sculpture of a figure who resembles the stoic figures of ancient Greece and Rome. His "Woman With Bangs," a masterfully rendered portrait of a melancholic subject, features a lady whose drooping eyes reveal a weariness and whose pursed lips reveal a tendency to contain emotion.

Another significant work is Gustave Courbet's vivid oil painting, "The Shaded Stream at Le Puits Noir," which captures the serenity of the environs.

The artists featured represent the best of the impressionistic, Fauvist and abstract movements.