COUGARS LOSE IN TENNIS OPENER

Rallying from a 1-3 deficit early on, the UH women's tennis team fell just short of its bid for an opening win Sunday in its spring dual-meet opener against Northwestern at Chancellors Racquet Club.

The Lady Cougars fell behind 1-3 in the best of seven competition as their Nos. 5 and 6 players, Caty Sanchez and Amanda Barnett, were defeated in straight sets during singles play.

Shortly after, Houston's No. 1 player, Catherine Bromfield, lost in straight sets 1-6, 5-7 to Deamon ace Ljudmila Pavlov, a former world-ranked player from Yugoslavia.

Ljudmila was a quarterfinalist in last fall's Rolex Regional Championships in Austin.

Cecilia Piedrahita kept Houston in the contest early on, dominating Bianca Schoeneck 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 2 matchup.

Karen Dasprez defeated Karen Bacon 6-1, 6-7(5-7), 6-1 and Kristen Paris came back from an opening set loss to a 6-7(5-7), 7-5, 6-4 victory that sent Houston into the doubles matches tied at three.

The Cougars looked to take the momentum of the match as their No. 1 doubles team of Piedrahita and Dasprez defeated the regionally fourth-ranked team of Bacon and Emily Nichols in three sets 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Houston needed just one of the final two doubles matches to secure a win in its opener.

However, the Deamons rallied to take the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles matches, a two-tiebreak three-setter (3-6, 7-6(7-5), 6-7(2-7)) and a straight-sets final match, to squelch the Cougars' hopes.

*******************************************************

FORMULA-FUNDING PLAN BAD NEWS, PICKERING SAYS

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's recent vote to forward formula-funding recommendations to the Legislature may have a detrimental effect on the University of Houston.

The recommendation suggests a possible $859.6 million, or 23.5 percent increase in the 1996—1997 biennium for public higher education.

"It looks like once again, we're impacted negatively by the recommendations," UH President James Pickering said.

Although THECB projections indicate a positive impact on higher education overall, Pickering said "that (recommendations) would give us less dollars. We have to analyze the reason why that happened."

At its latest meeting in Austin, the board recommended a 21.9 percent funding increase for public universities, a 25.8 percent increase for community and technical colleges, and a 2.8 percent increase in nursing faculty salaries at health science centers.

Pickering said university officials intend to make a plea to the board to reverse its decision "or make necessary changes in the formulas.

"They never fully fund the formula, and that is the problem," Pickering said.

Formulas are devised for each component of a university, from the library to the faculty and all other aspects of university operations. He said representatives of the University of Houston "want to take the case for public higher education to the Legislature when it comes into session."

If approved by the Legislature, the increases would bring Texas' per-student funding up to the 50-state average, which is a goal expressed in the Board's Master Plan for Higher Education.

Agenda Item IV-F concerns the issuance of $75 million in Hinson-Hazelwood College Student Loan Bonds. The board voted to address the bond issue at its April meeting.

In January of 1993, the board issued $75 million in college student loan bonds, the second installment of $300 million authorized by voters in November 1991.

"Access and Equity 2000," a proposal to increase the minority student and faculty populations at predominantly white institutions, was also discussed at the recent board meeting. Pickering said the program "speaks to the need to make sure Texas diversifies demographics of its society" and to "ensure minorities have access to public higher education."

As of fall 1992, the UH population of 33,021 consisted of 20,807 white students, 3,597 Hispanic students, 2,691 black students, 3,548 Asian students, 181 American Indian students and 2,197 international students.

PLEAS FOR TREES UNHEEDED BY ADMINISTRATION

After pleas from the student Environmental Awareness Group to halt the massive tree-cutting on the corner of Elgin and Cullen, almost 100 trees were cut down while students were away over winter break.

Members of the group tried to halt the massive tree-cutting by appealing to UH President James Pickering and Jim Berry, director of Facilities, Planning and Construction. EAG was under the impression that the trees would not be cut down. "The thing that really pissed us off is that they lied to us and left us out of the decision-making process," said Zach Schiller, an EAG member.

After the announcement, Janis Abel, president of EAG, put together a petition condemning the plan to cut down the trees.

Since the university announced the tree removal the week before finals, the group only had one day to collect signatures before students went on break. They collected about 200 signatures.

Abel and fellow EAG member Rob Nugen met with Pickering to present an alternative plan that would shift the tennis courts and softball field closer to the baseball field. The change would have saved the cluster of trees, but the facilities would have been much more compact.

"Sure you can do all kinds of things, but it's never quite as easy as it looks," Pickering said. "The real question is, do you want to keep the facilities kind of compact or let it sprawl?"

Berry said although he did not have time to closely review the alternate sketches, they did not incorporate all the project criteria like the football practice field.

Pickering said he did not know until last month that the trees were slated for removal, but he had hoped they could be saved.

After meeting with Abel and Nugen, Pickering sent the plans back to determine if the facilities could be moved in such a way as to save the trees.

The answer from the FPC was no, so plans moved along to cut down the trees.

"We felt like our encounter with Berry showed us that he was unbending and unwilling to negotiate any change," Schiller said.

Berry disagreed with EAG members, saying, "There's always a lot of schemes, but hopefully, only one that meets all the criteria. That's the one we are using."

When the university announced plans to cut down the cluster of trees, sources within the Grounds Department, who did not want their names used, expressed outrage that the university would not agree to move the facilities over a "little bit " to avoid cutting down the trees on the corner of Elgin and Cullen.

The trees were a naturally occurring cluster group that began growing right after World War II, said Raymond Dale, grounds manager.

The removed trees included 18 large diseased oaks and 73 trees too large to transplant, said Geri Konigsberg, director of media relations.

Berry said transplanting the trees would cost about $10,000 per tree. The EAG disputes this number and claims the removal should not cost anywhere near that amount.

Two years ago, when the original plans were announced, Geoffrey Wheeler, a senior architecture major, led protests to stop the cutting-down of the trees.

The students chained themselves to the trees and picketed the site.

At the time, UH officials promised to move the facilities to the back of the lot so that the trees would not have to be cut down.

Since environmentalists thought they had won the battle, everything quieted down and protests stopped, Wheeler said last month in a telephone interview.

As a result of all the protest by environmental groups, Pickering has offered to allow the EAG to become a member of the campus planning program.

"This particular exercise has certainly brought home to me that we need to work a little harder on ecology issues," Pickering said. "Taking down a tree to build a road – there is always a trade-off. The only way you know the best trade-off is to get more people in the discussion," he said.

Nugen said they will meet with Pickering again this week to discuss EAG becoming a member of the planning program.

After the completion of the building project, about 150 new trees will be planted on the site. About 50 or 60 existing trees were allowed to remain on the lot, Berry said.

WOMEN CHEATED SOCIALLY, ACADEMICALLY, STUDY SAYS

by Melissa b. Brady

Girls are being discriminated against not just academically and socially, but also through sexual harassment, a new study asserts.

These are just a few of the findings from a report issued by the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women. By the year 2,000, two-thirds of new entrants into the labor force will be women. In 55 percent of black families, 40 percent of Hispanics and 35 percent whites, all income comes from women.

In the United States, 72 percent of all teachers and 5 percent of all superintendents are women, while men represent 72 percent of all principals and superintendents. In all levels of schools – elementary, middle, high schools and college – boys get more classroom attention than girls according to the study.

"The Center was founded in 1974 to examine the importance of women in a changing society, and to improve society as a whole," said Executive Director Susan McGee Bailey.

The study contained information on how boys compare academically and socially with girls in public or private schools. Results of the study, which has been getting a lot of attention around the country, indicated the two do not compare. Boys seem to do better in everything from class discussions to science, mathematics, test scores and even English classes.

Last Thursday in a community response to the study, Lamar Senior High School was host to a panel discussion. Titled "How Schools Shortchange Girls," the discussion was set up to explain the research by Wellesley College and address questions and concerns.

Speaking on the panel were Susan McGee Bailey, executive director and researcher at the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women; Cynthia Freeland, director of the UH Women's Studies Program; Marilyn Balke, assistant principal of Sam Houston High School; and John Thomas, principal of Kinkaid Middle School. The event was moderated by Melanie Lawson of Channel 13 news.

Bailey began speaking first to the predominantly female crowd, explaining the reason for the study. "Title 9 of the Education Reforms Act of 1972 says 'No one can be discriminated against on the basis of sex in schools.' Our group wanted to do a follow-up study to the reform act to see what kinds of results the reforms produced. No research has been done before on strictly girl's progress in schools."

The study looked at math and science classes, comparing boys and girls, and found both positive and discouraging news. In the last 20 years, schools have succeeded in narrowing the gender gap between boys' and girls' excelling at math and science up to the high school level. Yet despite progress, at the college level, boys still excel.

"Boys and girls take about the same number of classes in life sciences, yet boys test a lot better. Even when girls have taken the same number of classes or more, girls are still not considering to pursue a field in science and technology, while two-thirds of the boys are. Those careers are better-paid in the long run," Bailey said.

"Girls are not better at verbal test scores (in high school) either. It is a myth that girls are better in language and boys are better in science. Girls do worse comparatively to boys in national tests in all subjects. We have found, however, that in essay tests, girls actually do better compared to boys. It has to do, I think, with how girls and boys take tests, and the type of questions asked on them. Often on national tests, the questions asked are only answers boys will most likely know," Bailey continued.

The issue of school curricula was also addressed. The curriculum is the central mechanism the community has to send messages to its youth. If you do not see yourself reflected in it, you realize the community does not value your place in it. Women and minorities have experienced this firsthand.

"I believe a community should be both a window and a mirror. It should both see society and reflect its inhabitants. How is it that boys will learn to respect women when they haven't seen what women have done? Issues typically considered feminine, such as being a housewife, are equally as important for men to learn as for women in order to build respect," Bailey said on the issue.

The inequality in schools is being looked at by some citizens and reporters as "an issue of diversity, and diversity is relevant to us as a community," Lawson said.

In order to alter schools, communities need to look at other issues as well.

Bailey suggested teachers should be trained to notice potentially abused children, and know where the child can get help. With the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the Western world, society has to think of teen sexuality, "even if the schools don't know how to handle the problems (of teen sexuality). If the schools don't know, then professionals should help the schools," Bailey said.

The highly publicized issue of teacher attention in the classroom was also a focus of Bailey's discussion.

"Boys get more attention perhaps because boys take more energy to deal with. It is important that girls are called on in the classroom, even if the girls are shy. How is it that girls can stand up and state an opinion if we don't have any practice for girls? It is a gradual training process.

"In schools, African American girls ask for the most help from their teachers, yet they receive the least attention. If we believe listening skills are important, we are depriving both boys and girls," Bailey said.

As part of the study, conducted by the Wellesley center, student-to-student interactions were looked at through questions placed in magazines. It showed that sexual harassment was a barrier for girls to take certain classes and in other facets of the schools. "Bullying" was the term used in the 4200 handwritten statements by girls used to describe their experiences in schools.

The term sexual harassment is not a term girls usually understand in elementary, middle and even some high schools. The correlation was drawn by the researcher after analyzing statements the girls sent in response to the magazine questions.

"By keeping our schools the same, we are saying to young girls sexual harassment is something (girls) have to get used to," Bailey said.

Freeland agreed with Bailey's statements, saying, "We have to look at where we are now as a society in order to deal with the problem as a whole. Why is it that women get 53 percent of all bachelor's degrees, yet only 15 percent of them are in engineering when, as children, girls and boys are equal in the life sciences?"

Thomas believes the focus should be on allowing girls more of a chance to play sports in hopes of college scholarships. "Cheerleaders and women's sports should be viewed as a positive thing, we should encourage them."

Balke added, "I think the difference in boys and girls is subtle or more blatant attitudes of parents and teachers toward young women. Most of the time, it is a subconscious thing, yet it is important to be aware of the possibility."

Balke believes more role models should be present for girls so women will learn to support women.

"We need to bolster the self-esteem of women and especially young girls. That is where a mentor program can work. I would like to see more volunteers in the program to help the girls attain their goals. Self-esteem is earned, and girls need to have the chance to earn it just as much," Balke said.

If you are interested in joining the Houston Independent School District mentor program, contact the HISD’s main office.

FEED THE SQUIRRELS; SHOOT SOME POOL

CHRISTY'S CAMPUS

I survived Add/Drop. The entire experience did not live up to its horrific reputation. School is now in full swing. The library is littered with sleeping and studying students, the UC is crowded and classes are full (at least this week).

Now that the dreaded first week of school is history, you can feel less guilty over sleeping through that eight o'clock class – you can always get the notes. Don't worry, we're all entitled to an extra hour of sleep once in a while. Just remember, classes are important, but they aren't the only factor contributing to university life. There is plenty of excitement surrounding you every day. Take a break. Check out your campus. You just might have some fun! Remember, college is one of the best times of your life.

MONDAY, JAN. 31

•If you enjoy watching basketball, why not earn some cash while you watch it? Intramural basketball needs officials for this season, and you can earn $5 a game with a chance to earn more. A clinic will be held at 6 p.m. today in the Intramurals office, Garrison Gym.

•Today at noon is absolutely the last day to get your intramural basketball league application at the Pacific Room in the UC Underground. IM basketball is open to men and women – students and faculty.

TUESDAY, FEB. 1

•Fee bills are due for everyone who used in late registration.

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 2

•Spring Rush begins. Come get to know the men's fraternities during the Fraternity Forum. The Greeks will be outside, between PGH and M.D. Anderson Library. It will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This is a casual and informative event. Come on by and check it out.

•The Metropolitan Volunteer Program is recruiting participants for its Austin High School tutor project. Orientation begins at 11 a.m. in the Caspian Room in the UC Underground. Call 743—5200.

THURSDAY, FEB. 3

•The second orientation for the Austin tutor program (above) starts at 1 p.m. in the Atlantic Room in the UC Underground.

•UH is looking for a few good folks to show our new students around. O-Team is short for Orientation Team. They pay you, it looks good on a résumé. An interest meeting is scheduled at 11:30 a.m. in UC’s Spindletop Room.

•If you’re stuck on campus during the evening, come catch a movie with SPB. The Student Program Board is showing a sneak preview of the new thriller <I>Getaway<P>, starring Kim Bassinger, Alec Baldwin and James Woods. Don't wait till you have to pay six bucks at the box office. It's FREE at 8 p.m. in the UC’s Houston Room.

FRIDAY, FEB. 4

There isn't much happening Friday, but here are some suggestions to help pass the time between classes.

•Shoot some pool in the UC Games Room or in the Satellite.

•Pump some iron in the weight room in Garrison Gym.

•Take a walk and feed the squirrels in Lynn Eusan Park.

•Enjoy lunch in the American Cafe.

•Read the Daily Cougar.

•Take a nap

Sargus is a junior kinesiology major.

UH SUFFERS RECORD LOSS AT HANDS OF TYLER

Rehabilitation has done wonders for B.J. Tyler.

The Texas Longhorns basked in the glory of Tyler's season-long rejuvenation Saturday night and thumped Houston 110-78 in front of 5,356 fans at Hofheinz Pavilion.

It was UH's worst loss in 25 years at Hofheinz and its second-worst Southwest Conference loss since a 92-47 defeat to Arkansas on Jan. 6, 1976. It was also the first time since Dec. 14, 1985, that an opponent scored 100 points or more in Hofheinz. Illinois was the last in a 102-92 victory.

Tyler led the Longhorns with 10 steals to set a UT and Southwest Conference game record. His mark also set a UH record for most steals by an opponent.

Texas' 21 steals tied Nevada-Reno's 1976 mark by a team against Houston.

Since returning to the team Dec. 15 from drug counseling at the John Lucas Center in Houston, Tyler has jumpstarted a lethargic Texas team that began the season 2-4.

"Having a healthy B.J. Tyler back makes everybody a better player," said Texas coach Tom Penders. "I said before he came back that he was going to have a tremendous impact on our team."

Penders' clairvoyance aside, Tyler has been the hottest player in the league lately and has directed Texas to four straight games of breaking the 100-point barrier, which ties a UT record.

Tyler was a one-man wrecking crew Saturday and Houston (2-14, 0-6 SWC) was his demolition project. He had a hand in 19 of the first 23 points the Longhorns (12-6, 4-1) scored and single-handedly grounded the Cougars.

"It's one thing to lose and another thing to go out there and play tentatively," Houston coach Alvin Brooks said. "It's embarrassing."

Texas rushed out to a 14-2 lead, including a Tyler layup less than three minutes into the game. Houston failed to break the Longhorns' dominating press and couldn't mimic their quick athleticism with its own press. Houston had 19 turnovers in the first half, usually a number that reflects game totals, and only forced five.

"(Texas' press) took us completely out of the game," Brooks said. "We turned it over 33 times and we got beat. Well, I say that's what beat us.

"We forced 31 turnovers against TCU and still lost by double digits. We've taken a step backward."

Six Texas players scored in double figures, led by Terrence Rencher's 28. Tyler added 21 points and seven assists, nearly completing a triple-double.

"B.J.'s been playing like a pro and he's taking a lot of pressure off everybody else," Rencher said. "He's opening things up for the rest of us."

"He (Tyler) spotted them a big lead," said Houston guard Anthony Goldwire, who equalled a season-low in scoring six points. "They really didn't need him later."

That's a testament to what Tyler means to the Longhorns and why he could very well take them deep into the NCAA Tournament in March.

UT'S VIGLIONE ATLERS NCAA RECORD BOOK

AUSTIN – Danielle Viglione didn't have a clue as to what all the cheering was about.

But when the Texas Lady Longhorn nailed her 10th 3-pointer of the afternoon to tie an NCAA women's basketball record, she had to find out.

And when she sank her 11th trey of the game to break the record, Viglione knew what she had accomplished.

The freshman guard poured in a UT-record 48 points while breaking the 3-point record held by only seven other players. This helped Texas dispose of the Lady Cougars 100-76 in Southwest Conference action at the Frank Erwin Center on Saturday.

"I didn't know what was going on when I (made the 10th 3-pointer)," Viglione said. But I just had to find out what the uproar was about."

Viglione's record-setting shot came with just under a minute left to play in the game. Texas coach Jody Conradt then pulled her out of the game amid a swarm of congratulatory remarks from teammates and Cougar players as the Erwin Center crowd gave her a standing ovation.

"I am so pleased with the way everyone came together in letting Danielle break the record," Conradt said. "The team was extremely focused."

Altogether, Viglione set new records for most 3’s in an NCAA game, most points scored in a UT game and the SWC record for most points scored in a game by a freshman man or woman.

"I have to admit," Conradt said, "I have been pretty amazed at how she has shot the ball and worked this year."

"We knew we weren't going to stop (Viglione)," said Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "We were just trying to contain her. But we didn't do a good job of that (either)."

The Cougars (6-10, 1-5 SWC) immediately fell victim to Viglione's long-range shooting as her first shot from beyond the arc gave the Longhorns (12-5, 4-1) a 5-2 lead that they would never relinquish.

The lead got up to as much as 36-21 before the Cougars started to make a run behind their own freshman star, forward Pat Luckey, who was making something of a homecoming since she played her high school ball in San Marcos.

"I wasn't nervous," Luckey said. "I'm never nervous when I'm playing basketball. There is a game to play and that is all I should be thinking about."

A Luckey layup cut the Texas lead to 38-29 with 6:06 left to go in the first half. Luckey led all Cougar scorers with 17 points and seven rebounds.

Following a steal by Houston senior guard Michelle Harris, the Cougars got the ball down low to post Chontell Reynolds, who nailed three free throws over two possessions to cut the deficit to 38-32.

"(Houston) is a scary team," Conradt said. "We just couldn't put them away in the first half because they run the floor so well."

But once again, Viglione continued to take over as she led Texas on a run that gave the Longhorns an 11-point advantage, 53-42, at the half.

"Even though we were down (by six points), we were still right there (in the game)," Kenlaw said.

However, it was the closest the Cougars would get all afternoon as the Longhorns built the lead up to as much as 31 points, 100-69, when Viglione made her 11th 3-pointer.

It seemed fitting that her shot ended the scoring for Texas on the afternoon.

UH ALL WET AFTER LSU ROUT

HANSEL ABLE TO FIND POSITIVES IN DISAPPOINTING LOSS

The Cougars and the Tigers proved that not all cats are afraid of water when Louisiana State came to the UH natatorium Friday.

LSU defeated the Cougars 165-132 as the Tigers won all but four of the 16 events held at the meet.

The Tigers, who have only two losses this season, were ranked No. 13 in the nation last year and are hoping to improve on that this year. They are currently ranked 18th.

For the Cougars, there were signs of better things to come.

Sophomore Alexandra Heyns led the team with two wins in the 200- and 500-meter freestyles.

Heyns posted times of 1:54.38 in the 200 and 5:10.05 in the 500.

Other Cougar firsts included junior Laura Berry, who finished the 100-meter butterfly in 1:00.65 and freshman Kristen de la Torre, who completed the 50-meter freestyle in 24.82.

With such young talent, head coach Phill Hansel said he is optimistic about the future of the team and feels it is about where it should be.

Hansel saw many positives in the loss. Nicola Clegg and Keele Jenschke posted their best times of the season.

Clegg set personal bests in both the 100 (1:08.65) and 200 (2:25.41) breaststrokes. Jenschke's best time was in the 1,000-meter freestyle (10:55.82).

The Cougars barely missed a win in the 200-meter freestyle relay, losing by only .12 seconds.

All this was accomplished despite the fact that Heyns had been sick and backstroker Maria Rivera missed the meet due to illness.

The diving team was led by Donnelle Dubois, who finished second with 276.68 points in the 3-meter event.

Olivia Clark, a three-time All-American honorable mention, finished third with 266.78 points.

Dubois also finished second in the 1-meter competition with 274.80 points.

LSU coach Rick Meador remembers swimming against Hansel's teams when he was a student at LSU.

"Phill was coaching when I was swimming. Matter of fact, he was coaching when a lot of people were swimming," a smiling Meador said.

The Cougars will next host Southern Methodist Friday.

MIXED RESULTS FOR TRACK TEAM AT TIGER CLASSIC

The men's and women's track teams competed in their first meet this weekend at Louisiana State's Purple Tiger Classic Saturday.

The Cougars used the competition as a way to gauge how much they need to improve before they compete in the Southwest Conference Indoor Championships.

The meet was open, so no team standings were used. The Cougars will return to Baton Rouge for the second part of the two-part meet.

They won only two events on the day, one of them coming from Ubeja Anderson in the men's 55-meter hurdles in a time of 7.36 seconds.

Dawn Burrell also placed in the women's 55-meter hurdles, finishing fifth with a time of 7.98.

The women's 4x400-meter relay placed first with a time of 3:46.01.

On the day, 25 Cougars made the finals. Dawn Burrell placed in two events, the 55-meter hurdles and the women's long jump.

Cougar sprinter Sam Jefferson, who is expected by some to have an exceptional year, finished fifth in the 55-meter dash. Candy Fowler was fifth in the mile run, and Drexel Long placed fifth in the women's 400-meter dash.

Also, Robert Christian was third in the men's high jump and Edwina Ammonds placed fourth for the women.

The Cougars will study tape of this meet and see what mistakes were made. They can then use the lessons from this meet as a springboard to the conference title.

MUSIC SCENE MOVES 'N' GROOVES

A word of introduction – my name is <B>Scott Sparks<P>. Yeah, the last name is for real, and I <B>am<P> assistant program director and afternoon disc jockey for radio station 104 KRBE.

During the coming weeks, you will be able to read right here what goes on in the music and entertainment world – the who, what, when and where of your favorite stars and artists. I'll cover it all – alternative, Top-40, country, movies and concerts. If you would like to comment on anything you read, feel free to drop me a line at the Daily Cougar. Have a great semester, and I hope you enjoy the Scott Sparks column.

Oh sure, it may be a little early, but <B>Lollapalooza IV<P> is already in the works for the summer of 1994.

After the lackluster financial success of last year's outing, you can probably expect to see a few more heavyweights on the bill this time around. If the rumors I hear even partially materialize, Lollapalooza will once again be worth weathering the heat of a Texas summer.

The list of players in this concert cash cow could include <B>The Breeders, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots<P> and <B>Porno For Pyros<P>. No matter when or where the date is set, you will probably be paying three bucks for water again.

The much-talked-about Greenpeace benefit album <I>Alternative NRG<P>, with live and studio cuts from <B>R.E.M.<P>, <B>U2<P>, <B>James<P>, <B>P.M. Dawn<P> and many others, was released Tuesday. Other compact discs released that same day included <B>King's X's<P> <I>Dogman<P>, <B>John Michael Montgomery's<P> <I>Kickin' It Up<P>, <B>Schooly D's<P> <I>Welcome to America<P>, <B>C.C. Peniston's<P> <I>Thought Ya Knew<P> and the <B>Meat Puppets<P> <I>Too High To Die.<P>

I haven't seen the movie, but <B>Winona Ryder<P>'s new flick, <I>Reality Bites<P>, should have a soundtrack that will perk up the ears. <B>Karl Wallinger<P> of <B>World Party<P> is responsible for the film score. Included on the soundtrack are special remixes of <B>Squeeze's<P> "Tempted" and <B>The Knack's<P> "My Sharona." Also, <B>Crowded House<P>, <B>U2<P>, <B>Dinosaur Jr.<P>, <B>The Juliana Hatfield Three<P> and <B>Lenny Kravitz<P> have contributed to the project. The compact disc should be in stores by Feb. 1, while the movie is scheduled for the big screen three weeks later.

Many times, tribute albums start with good intentions, but often, the performers and performances are not up to par. This cannot be said of the <B>Curtis Mayfield<P> tribute. The who's who list of musical performers includes <B>Elton John, <B>Bruce Springsteen<P>, <B>Steve Winwood<P> and <B>Phil Collins<P>. Many other stars are expected to cover Mayfield's classics, such as <B>Public Enemy<P>, <B>Stevie Wonder<P> and <B>B. B. King<P>. Mayfield's music and influence go back over 25 years. Two of his biggest hits were "People Get Ready" and "Freddie's Dead." Sounds to me like this will be a "must have" for the old CD collection.

Miscellaneous: The long fight between rock's bad boy and supermodel isn't over yet. The judge in the <B>Axl Rose/Stephanie Seymour<P> case has allowed the court documents to remain open for public view. Each is claiming the other hit first in a Christmas '92 altercation. <B>Sonic Youth<P> should have a new album out by the end of April. In a recent interview, <B>Kurt Cobain<P> claimed that his band, <B>Nirvana<P>, has two more records left in them, then it's quits for the band. Add the <B>Beastie Boys<P> to the long list of potential Lollapalooza players.

Whoa! $4 million is the price <B>Garth Brooks<P> wanted to perform during the Super Bowl halftime show. That comes to about $4,445.00 a second!. More on big country money – George Strait's traditional New Year's Eve concert at Dallas' Reunion Arena brought in nearly $600,000. ex-<B>Talking Head David Byrne<B> may finally tour the U.S.. One of hard rock's innovators, <B>Black Sabbath<P>, will make stops in both Dallas and Houston during the second week of March. <B>Motorhead<P> will open both shows.

In case you were wondering, the No. 1 song in Tokyo last week was "All That She Wants" by <B>Ace of Base<P>. <B>Smashing Pumpkins<P> filmed its concert in Atlanta. Expect a live video from them later in the year. From the "I'll believe it when I see it department," <B>Boston<P>'s fourth record could be out sometime before the summer. Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio will all receive visits from the <BScorpions<P> in mid-March. What's the best way to describe the <BBreeders<P>? Lead singer <B>Kim Deal<P> likes to call the Breeders the Bangles from Hell.

Sparks is a Houston disc jockey for radio station 104.1 FM KRBE

SPORE SPREADS AND ROCKS HARD ON SOLID RELEASE

by D. McAdams

This band rocks.

This band is solid, igneous intrusive, mafic, granite rock.

This is hard; the band members are angry and God bless the person who messes with them.

The group is Spore and the four-song EP is <I>Fear God<P>. This is <I>not<P> your father's Oldsmobile.

Don't listen to this one if you have even the faintest inkling there might possibly be a god. The lyrics are rough and brutally truthful on the title track and so is the music.

The cover of the compact disc features what appears to be a Southern Baptist preacher, bible raised, teeth grinding, warning his congregation of God's fury. Interestingly, his eyes have been blocked out, the band perhaps implying that he is blind.

Spore doesn't limit itself to iconoclastic block humor, they also do remakes. The Beatles, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is covered in a very competent fashion. The other songs are "Sick" and "Hemorrhaging Gums." On the latter, the lead singer pleads, "Somebody give me a gun!" That's not such a good idea.

Try to contact the folks at Taang Records and find out about Spore if you're into heavy, crunching, grinding Tad-like rock. If you aren't, hide under your bed and clench your Bible because Spore seems determined to spread like its namesake.

MOVIE LACKS TRADITIONAL SUSPENSE

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

There just aren't that many good thrillers being made by Hollywood today. The last really good one was <I>The Silence of the Lambs<P>.

Now Michael Apted (<I>Thunderheart<P>) takes a crack at this genre with <I>Blink<P>.

The film stars Madeline Stowe, of <I>The Last of the Mohicans<P>, as a woman blinded by her mother when she was eight years old.

Now, 20 years later, a donor has supplied her with new corneas and her vision is starting to return gradually.

However, now she has begun to suffer from a nasty side-effect involving delayed visions. At times she has clear vision, but the things she sees happened long before the image appears in her head.

One night, after the surgery, Stowe awakens to loud noises coming from the apartment above. She opens her door after hearing somebody coming down the stairs, and in her blurry-eyed condition mistakes the figure at the steps for the building superintendent.

The next morning, however, she experiences a delayed flashback of a frightening face and begins to suspect that something terrible has happened to the lady upstairs.

The police think she had too much too drink that night, till they find the body. Then they're excited about the prospect of an eyewitness to what turns out to have been the second victim of a serial killer.

Their euphoria is quickly tempered when they discover that their eyewitness is also having flashbacks of her long-dead mother.

Aidan Quinn plays the hard-boiled detective who wants to believe Stowe's story, even if it's only because he's attracted to her.

This script would have appealed to Alfred Hitchcock who always had a knack for taking premises about unfathomable phenomenon and making them believable.

Sorely, Apted is not Hitchcock, Stowe is not Kim Novak and Quinn is no Jimmy Stewart.

All that aside, this is an entertaining, if not wholly believable, film.

Apted keeps the pace fast for the most part and tries not to get bogged down in the nagging details of the absurdity of the delayed vision device.

If there are any problems with the performances it's Stowe's. She has never really been impressive as an actress and this film won't change any opinions. She is so stiff that at times you'll think she was a mannequin with an attitude problem.

This movie is standard, assembly line, Hollywood thriller all the way. If you can suspend your reasoning skills for two hours, you might enjoy it. Otherwise stay home and watch <I>Vertigo<P>.