FATHER ONE OF THE BEST

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

The commercials have it all wrong!

<I>In the Name of the Father<P> is not about the wrongful arrest, prosecution and sentencing of an innocent man.

Sure, the unjust conviction of Gerry Conlon and the other members of the so-called Guildford Four plays a crucial role in the film, but that's not what it is about.

This film is about discovering who you really are, who really loves you, and why it's important that we maintain faith in ourselves.

<I>Father<P> is based on the true story of Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day-Lewis), who was wrongfully convicted of a bombing in the English town of Guildford in 1974.

In their anxiety to find the terrorists who performed the deed, the police used all kinds of abuse to coerce confessions out of Conlon and three other young Irish hippies.

The police also managed to secure a conviction of Conlon's father, aunt and two cousins on the charge of conspiring to help construct the bomb, despite their lack of convincing evidence.

But all this unjust behavior by the police is not really the point to this film.

Conlon was a loser in every sense of the word. No job, no money and no future to look forward to.

But he did have a father who cared very much for him, although Conlon had always misinterpreted his father's caring, overprotective nature as a lack of faith in his son.

When they are sentenced to prison together, all the frustration Conlon has felt over the years concerning his father is unleashed.

But it's while they're serving time together that he also realizes that his father did what he did because he believed Conlon could do better. And eventually, Conlon learns to have this same faith in himself.

It's this new-found self-confidence that leads him to agree to appeal his conviction for the first time with the help of his father's lawyer (Emma Thompson).

Director Jim Sheridan (<I>My Left Foot<P>) has succeeded again. And in some ways this film is better than <I>Foot<P>.

Sheridan also manages to coax another brilliant, confident performance by Academy Award winner Day-Lewis who continues to show why he won that Oscar in the first place.

The other Oscar winner in this film, Thompson, doesn't have quite as large a part as the commercials might indicate, but she is very convincing as the lawyer who takes on Conlon's appeal.

The supporting cast around them is also good, especially Pete Postlethwaite who gives a stand-out performance as Conlon's father.

*******************************************************

MAS BUILDS UP HISPANIC CULTURE

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

UH's Mexican American Studies Program has set a goals of serving its community in both the greater Houston area and on campus.

While the program provides a valuable service to Latino students at UH by offering them a sense of pride in their culture and a quality education, it also works to encourage Latino high school students to strive to do their best and attend college.

One of the most important programs is MAS’s Recruitment Program, which brings students from seven or eight traditionally Latino high schools to campus and gives them a tour of UH.

In addition to the campus tour, students are given information about the admissions process and financial aid.

Associate Director Lorenzo Cano says the program is important because of the high drop-out rate among Mexican American high school students.

Cano also uses his classes to make sure his students are trained to actively deal with the problems in their community.

One of the classes Cano teaches, "Development of the Mexican American Urban Community," encourages students to deal directly with problems that often occur in traditionally Mexican American schools.

Students in the class spend at least three hours a week tutoring in Houston public schools that are predominantly Latino.

"The last class that I had," Cano said, "we did a community survey in the 2nd Ward. We're going to take that information on the concerns of the community and give it to elected officials and civic leaders."

MAS is also concerned with social and economic issues that affect students on campus.

Cano said many Mexican American students at UH come from working-class families, so financial assistance is important.

"It's very difficult for many students from our community to go to school full-time and not worry about finances," Cano said.

Another problem is the adaptation and integration of Mexican American students into a traditionally white campus. "Professors do not necessarily embrace us, help us along, encourage us to go on to graduate school or take any interest in us. This is difficult in very large classes, but even in small classes, there is alienation from this environment."

Cano said the little issues are important, too. "Recently, we had Mexican American music put on the jukebox in the game rooms. It wasn't even an issue; people didn't even think about having Spanish music in there.

"This is music that has been a tradition in Texas for a long time. We'll find all kinds of music (in the game rooms), but not our music. Those are the little things that campus administrators need to be sensitive to."

MAS focuses on recruiting and helping Mexican American professors as well as students. Because the number of Mexican American professors at UH is extremely low, the Visiting Scholars Program is designed to attract Latino professors who may be interested in a tenure track at UH.

Despite the positive work MAS has done, Cano said the program has to try harder than other departments to convince UH policy makers to give them the adequate funds to run a good program.

SA ELECTION DATES PUT OFF BY LOSS OF QUORUM

The Students' Association’s first spring semester meeting was cut short Monday after a quorum call was taken, forcing SA President Jason Fuller to tentatively plan a special session for Wednesday or Thursday because the election calender was not adopted.

Eighteen senators were originally in attendance, but by 8:30 p.m., only 13 of the 15 senators necessary for a quorum were still present.

"It stalled and prevented business from being attended to," Fuller said. "I'm concerned that we could be putting the cart before the horse if we move forward without first adopting the planned election calendar."

Before the meeting ended, senators rejected a bill by Senator Justin McMurtry of HFAC to change the election code.

Most senators disagreed with the provision calling for a $10 nonrefundable filing fee.

"Last year when I ran, I spent less than $10. This is supposed to be a representative body," said David Frankfort, senator from the College of Technology. "They should pay us, not the other way around."

Senator Greg Propes, internal affairs chairman, questioned the constitutionality of a filing fee.

"The only requirement you have to have is for you to be a student," he said. "When you have a filing fee, you are adding another requirement. That's patently unconstitutional."

Hunter Jackson, a senator from the College of Business, compared the filing fee to the poll tax used in the South to discourage blacks from voting.

McMurtry pointed out that the poll tax was used to stop people from voting and not from running.

"A fee for candidate filing is done in most real-life elections. It's not an unusual thing," he said.

Although the portions calling for a filing fee were removed by a friendly amendment from McMurtry, the bill was still defeated overwhelmingly.

The bill would have also started candidate filings at least 25 days before the general election and to take place over six class days.

Other provisions detailed guidelines for the party apparatus, such as registration with the Election Commission and the designation of a party secretary and an assistant party secretary.

Jackson objected to the proposed party provisions, calling them "stupid."

"It's getting into micromanagement of parties. It won't be fair to all candidates," Jackson said.

Angie Milner, SA's director of public relations, announced $1,400 would be allocated toward advertising for the March elections. This is a 20 percent increase from last year's ad budget.

The 1994 spring elections, with advertising, poll workers, election commissioners and supplies, will cost $3,960, Milner said.

Senators also approved Habib Salley as election commissioner and Ouida Middleton and Derek Adams as assistant election commissioners.

McMurtry also introduced legislation allocating $1,000 to start the operation of the Textbook Resale Information Service.

He also suggested that TRIS's director may have to be a paid position if the project is to be taken seriously.

Other legislation called for Senate approval for Fuller's attending the Fifth National Conference on Student Diversity.

Neither piece of legislation made it to the floor for discussion because the Senate meeting ended without a quorum.

Because last year's speaker of the Senate did not sign almost half of the bills passed last year, Coy Wheeler, the present speaker, appointed himself chairman of a select effectiveness committee to go before the University Hearing Board to solve the problem.

Pat Brown, SA vice president, announced that the Activities Funding Board raised the funding limit from $1,200 to $1,500; thus, those organizations that have already received funds can come back to ask for more money.

FINANCIAL AID FRAUD HITS PRAIRIE VIEW

by Catherine Cykowski

Fifteen current and former students from Prairie View A&M University were indicted last Tuesday on charges of financial aid fraud. University officials estimated the students may have received $50,000 in aid.

The students are accused of using fictitious approval codes on financial aid forms in order to obtain aid money. The university handed over the names of the students to a Waller County grand jury on Jan. 20.

University officials said they became suspicious when they received financial aid checks that did not have proper university approval.

"The students took codes and used fictitious names on loan applications they sent in. One student used the name of a financial aid office employee who informed us that it was not his signature," said Travis McDonald, Waller County First Assistant District Attorney.

McDonald said each of the 15 students was charged on a felony count of engaging in organized criminal activity. One student was also charged with forgery. He said possible penalties could include two to 20 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines if the students are convicted of the charges.

Robert Sheridan, UH Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid, said the case is unusual because of the number of people involved. "In terms of the state of Texas, the number of people involved is very significant. Nationally, there have been some groups that were organized in fraudulent activity."

Sheridan also said the financial aid process has changed to include a system of checks and balances that make fraud more difficult. "We've seen some of the same kinds of fraud, primarily on the Parent Loan Program."

Sheridan said the fraud he had seen was mostly individual, with applicants using false credentials in order to obtain loans. However, he said the system has been changed because of these problems.

"One thing I would say is that anyone who would perpetrate fraud would be punished to the fullest extent." He said suspected fraud is referred to the Department of Education for investigation.

Some of the Prairie View students have repaid the money, and no disciplinary action against them is planned pending further investigation. "The situation is being reviewed to determine what actions are necessary on the part of the university," said Bryan Barrows, Prairie View director of public information. He said he believes the university's handling of the situation proves the system of checks and balances is effective.

Prairie View A&M students have mixed opinions on the issue.

"The students could be punished by fines. I don't think they should have to go to jail." said Quillindria Dotson, a senior psychology major.

Desiree Wyatt, a senior marketing major, said she felt the situation reflected problems with the system. "The Financial Aid Department at Prairie View is screwed up and messy. They give the students who work there too much authority and leeway in finding out how the system operates.

However, Wyatt said she felt the situation would have been treated differently if it had occurred at another university.

"They regulate Prairie View so much as it relates to money. Because it's a black university, it's getting all of the publicity," Wyatt said.

McDonald said the case could come to trial in late March. He said none of the students has turned themselves in as of last Friday.

SUPER SONGTRESS GRACES HGO

By Ivana Segvic

Daily Cougar

At 17 she was a piano player. At 18 she won a vocal competition. At 22 she was at La Scala launching her international career with the performance of Violetta in La Traviata. The exploding rise to success is proof enough that Tiziana Fabbricini is one of the hottest young opera stars around.

She was born in Asti, Italy. When she was young she went to a piano conservatory. But fate played her role when the Maestro heard Fabbricini sing. "The Maestro listened to my voice and he said 'Hmmm. . . you MUST sing!'" Because of that one day the Houston Grand Opera now welcomes her as Lucia in Donizetti's Lucia Di Lammermoor.

Fabbricini said that the Wortham Theater is a wonderful place. "The Theater is big. I like to work in a big theater. And the acoustics are real good," she said gesturing with her hands.

However, she says opening night didn't go quite like she had wanted it to. "In the first performance, I had to prove myself to the public. The public was expecting a light voice because that is Lucia's character. But I have a much more dramatic voice. So on the second performance I sang my won way and it was a lot better," she said with a smile.

Although her job is exciting, she says that it is also very difficult. "Every singer gets nervous. Different things occur on stage. Different emotions, different feelings . . . The public doesn't understand what the singer is feeling. It is a hard job, there is a risk every time."

In many reviews, Fabbricini has been compared to the great Maria Callas. However, she doesn't find this very positive. "It is an honor to be compared to someone so great, but I'm singing in my own voice. I don't copy anything. The comparison is too big. Its difficult and dangerous," she said.

She feels students need to attend operas to discover their charm. "Try an easy opera first. Lucia-no. Traviata-yes.

Fabbricini has performed in Vienna, Hamburg, Berlin and Bavarian State operas. She recorded La Traviata in the La Scala tour to Seville on Sony classics on CD and video. Last season she debuted at the Metropolitan opera in the season opening premire of La Traviata with Placido Doming conducting.

It appears that all eyes are on this young star as Houston watches her grow. Her upcoming plans include a revival of Manon Lescaut at the Vienna State Opera, a French debut as Violetta is Lyon and Tosca in Munich. Next season she plans to return to La Scala for La Traviata. Through February 5, she will play the title role of Donizetti's Lucia in her HGO debut.

AGONIZING OVER ACADEMICS

Campus Contusion

At last we are into the second week of yet another semester of the quest for brains, courage to face the economy after college and a heart to understand the workings of Bill Clinton. Yes, the path down that yellow brick road is a long one (longer for some than others.) And of course, it is filled with struggles, misunderstandings and complaints.

However, this semester, the Daily Cougar is prepared to hear you out. We will be that light at the end of the tunnel. From now on, you can write to us with your campus problems and be heard at last. It’s not a "Dear Abby" column, but problems dealing with the university are what we will address.

Take the case of A.B. Why, just last week, we were welcomed by the jaws of Add/Drop. Actually, it would be quite a shame to cut the traditional nerve-wrecking, craziness we all know so well.

But back to the A.B. case. This communications senior who is graduating in December desperately tried to get into a class required for her major. She did the responsible thing and registered by priority registration, but still didn't get into the class.

So last week on Monday she sat in on the class she needed. The class had 30 people registered and only about 20 showed up on the first day. The professor added about four students who are graduating this semester and told four other students to return on Wednesday and that she might possibly add them to the class. A.B. returned on Wednesday to find that five students had added the class in Add/Drop. When she spoke to the professor, she was told there was no way to get into the class, so she walked out disappointed and quite angered.

It is a bit angering to see how difficult it is for even seniors to find a place in their classes. Sometimes it’s a little frustrating to see juniors sitting in classes seniors need for graduation. But that's the way the ball bounces. Last summer, classes were cut because the university did not have enough funds. Kind of makes you wonder when you drive down Cullen and see the wonderful $30 million, air-conditioned football practice facility that slowly popped up from the ground while we were gone during Christmas break.

Vanessa Stepney, the School of Communications’ academic adviser, said the best thing for A.B. to have done would have been to go to Add/Drop. So contrary to what many of us have heard, it is better to go to Add/Drop than to beg your professors to let you into a class. So next semester, after you priority-register and only get six hours out of the 16 you requested, make sure you jump into the jaws of Add/Drop and get your little hand stamped, then you <I>might<P> be on your way to that higher education path on the expensive yellow brick road.

Send complaints about campus life to: Campus Contusion, Room 151 Communications Building, or fax them to 743-5384. We'll be awaiting your campus horror stories.

GIORDANI HITS RIGHT NOTES

Not many people know what having the best of both worlds means, but Italian tenor Marcello Giordani seems to have a pretty good idea. His voice has been compared to Luciano Pavarotti’s and his looks to Placido Domingo’s. What else could he want?

"I just want to be Giordani, the humble Giordani. That's it," the 30-year old Sicilian said.

Playing Edgardo in <I>Lucia Di Lammermoor<P> has given him the opportunity to show his one talent and to be Marcello Giordani. Being an opera singer was always Giordani's dream.

"Nobody in my family sings, but my father gave me the input to love opera because he loves opera. He was a great support in my life. My brothers and mother were screaming because the career is not sure, but now they are my greatest fans. When I was 19 years old in Sicily they had some auditions and they gave me the opportunity. They say you have a good voice and now I am here," he said.

He debuted at La Scala as Rodolfo in <I>La Boheme <P> in 1988. He has also been Arturo in Bellini's <I>La Straniera<P>, and Alfredo in <I>La Traviata<P>. In 1990 he had his Houston Grand Opera debut as Duke in <I>Rigoletto<P>. Although he has played so many characters, Giordani says he doesn't have a favorite. "Right now my favorite role is Edgardo because I am singing Edgardo."

But he says <I>Rigoletto<P> was his luckiest. "It was lucky in my life and for my career because I met my wife in Lucerne; she was public relations there. So <I>Rigoletto<P> was my lucky opera."

While <I>Rigoletto<P> was the best, <I>Faust <P> was the most dangerous one. Although opera is not classified as a violent art, Giordani even experienced that side of it. "In Baltimore I did <I>Faust <P> and the baritone was not a great fighter. So he gives me his sword in my head and I have six stitches. So now every time I see a sword in fighting, I am so scared."

Giordani says he feels the performances of <I>Lucia <P> were excellent. "Of course with Maestro Sutej ... he is so nice to us. Everybody loves him. All my colleagues say Gigi Sutej is the great, great Maestro and a great human being."

Giordani had a great love for opera when he was a teenager and he would like to see more young people at operas. "Don't start to say, 'I don't like opera,' and you never went to an opera. Start with an easy opera, maybe like <I>Lucia<P>. The young people have to come to the operas and see and listen and participate. <I>Lucia<P> is a great opportunity to start."

He recalls performing <I>Lucia<P> in Oregon for students of all ages, from kindergarten to college. "In the second act, when Lucia has to sign the wedding contract and he doesn’t want to, Edgardo comes to stop the wedding. I came so strong and I received applause. All the kids yell 'Bravo!' I didn't know why. Later I realized they believed I was the hero because I save Lucia. It's great because the children start to understand. It’s cute," he said in his charming English accent.

Giordani said his greatest support is his wife. "When you finish in the evening and if you have a success or no success, it doesn't matter. You go back to your room and if you have nobody you can speak your experience or your feeling to, you become depressed. It's important because I leave all my stress."

Giordani said that it is very difficult to live with him, especially before the performances, but his wife is always there. "She lives with my life. She sings with me even if she is in the audience. She breathes with me and suffers with me. I need people like her."

TEXTBOOK CASE

Campus police stories during the first week of school included such noteworthy items as a parking lot robbery at gunpoint, a shooting that injured three people and an art project mistaken for a bomb that caused an entire building to be evacuated.

However, UH had its share of minor offenses, including a slew of items reported stolen: a pager, vehicles, a jacket, wallets, audio-visual equipment and a textbook.

Friday at 10:30 a.m., computer science graduate student Somdutt Behura, 28, was arrested and charged with stealing a textbook from the UH bookstore.

"An employee noticed some suspicious actions by Somdutt, and he notified the manager, Waleed Azhamra," Wigtil said. The manager then told UHPD Officer Jeffrey Kelley about an alleged theft in progress.

The book, <I>Analysis and Design of Digital and Integrated Circuits<P>, cost $68, according to police reports. Behura posted a $500 bond and was charged with a misdemeanor.

Behura could not be contacted for comment.

Amid reports of property damage to vending machines and some damage to vehicles in student parking lots, Cullen Performance Hall Sunday sustained $2,500 in damage to the audience seats.

According to UHPD, audience members stood in their chairs, bending the backs of the seats and ripping the material on the backs of the chairs.

"During the concert, people were dancing in the seats," Wigtil said.

Cullen Performance Hall officials were not available for more information.

GUNMEN SHOT DOWN AS WASTE OF TIME

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

It was kind of a scary moment. Chills up the spine and all.

This reviewer was sitting in a dark theater watching this action-filled adventure film called <I>Gunmen<P>, when all of a sudden, it started to make sense.

Now why would it be so upsetting about this film making sense for a second? Because like most movies of this genre, <I>Gunmen<P> is at its best when it doesn't try to make any sense.

The film stars Mario Van Peebles, the director and star of <I>New Jack City<P> and <I>Posse<P>, and Christopher Lambert of the <I>Highlander<P> movies.

This pairing is the best part of the film, as each actor plays off the strengths of the other. The usually low-key Peebles draws energy from the manic insanity of Lambert.

The chemistry works, but they are saddled with a script filled with so many bad cliches, it would drive an English professor to the brink.

The plot concerns the hunt for a lost boat containing $400 million of a South American drug lord's money.

Lambert knows where the boat is, and Peebles knows its name. And consequently, they are forced to put aside their dislike for one another long enough to find the treasure.

Not exactly the most original of plots, but it's good enough to keep the film going for 90 minutes, and that's about all you can really ask from this movie.

The supporting cast includes Denis Leary as a hit-man hired by the drug lord to find the boat.

Leary is a convincing bad guy, and his final tag line is almost worth the price of admission in itself.

Kadeem Hardison (Dwayne Wayne from <I>A Different World<P>) is funny in his few scenes as a spaced-out pilot hired by our heroes to fly them to Mexico. And Brenda Bakke is appropriately nasty as Leary's righthand woman.

The most surprising casting choice is Patrick Stewart as the drug lord whose money is missing.

It's hard to imagine Captain Jean-Luc Picard as a drug smuggler, but obviously someone did.

Unfortunately, Stewart's scenes are all too brief to merit any special praise, but from what little one gets to see, this guy has a real future as a bad guy in cheesy action movies.

Although you can't recommend it outright, <I>Gunmen<P> is enjoyable enough at times to appeal to action fans. Just close your eyes during the scary parts, like when it starts to make sense.

STREET LEAVES YOU SEARCHING

Friday night, Wortham Theater welcomed another opera to its stage.

Elmer Rice's prize-winning play <I>Street Scene<P> opened with superb scenery of an apartment building. Members of the audience felt as though they were living across the street, listening to gossipy neighbors sing about the heat.

The American opera opened with "Ain't It Awful, the Heat?" The two-act opera deals with life in the America of the early 1900s. It circulates around the Murrant family and its gossipy neighbors.

Anna Murrant is married to Frank and has two children. Willie is her young son and Rose is her grown-up daughter, who is trying to live a life of her own.

Anna dreams of love she could never have with her husband. This leads to an affair with the milkman, Skankey. The neighbors are outraged by Anna's affair, but thrilled because they have something more to talk about aside from the heat.

After an argument with Anna and Rose, Frank leaves for a business trip and Anna asks her lover to come in. Sam, a young neighbor who is in love with Rose, sees Frank returning early and attempts to stop him. However, Frank is suspicious and runs into the apartment with a gun. The opera momentarily picks up the pace from there.

Anna is played by soprano Sheri Greenwald, Rose is soprano Lee Merrill and Robert McFarland is Frank, the dramatic baritone. Kip Wilborn did an excellent portrayal of Sam.

The tenor received a tremendous amount of applause at the conclusion of the opera. His strong and dramatic voice kept the opera moving. Other highlights in the opera were dancers Deborah Leamy and Alex Sharp, who played Mae and Dick, a young, wild couple. Their fast moves lit up a few of the darker moments in <I>Street Scene<P>.

Nancy Hinshaw Bruffett and Darlene James also did a wonderful portrayal of the two curious and nutty nursemaids at the end. Their hunger for gossip left the audience laughing.

<I>Street Scene<P> was conducted by resident conductor Ward Holmquist with lyrics by Langston Hughes and music by Kurt Weill. It is an opera for leisure and a little excitement, but the acting left many people struggling to squeeze out a tear when it seemed necessary.

<I>Street Scene<P> will be playing at the Wortham Theater on Feb. 2, 5, 8, 11 and 13. Students may call 227-ARTS for special tickets.

PAY OUT FOR SOMETHING WORTHWHILE

Touring acts

spice up local

nightlife fun

by Tom Turner

So, we've all been able to somehow make it through the first week of school. After having to deal with the tortuous process of Add/Drop and watching every last nickel and dime you had vanish into an overpriced book, it's time for a little fun and relaxation. Let me be a guide of sorts to let you in on some bands that you won't want to miss.

Some major tours have recently been announced that will be appearing at some of the larger venues in town.

The pop-reggae sounds of UB40 will pull into town on March 22. Tickets have already gone on sale. Opening up for the group at the Music Hall will be US 3.

Another recently announced tour is Billy Joel's <I>River of Dreams<P> Tour. Tickets have already gone on sale for this show as well. It will be at The Summit on April 6, so if either of these two shows strikes a chord with you, get your tickets early because they will probably go fast.

This month, the Bayou City Theatre, which is the old Rockefeller's West on Richmond, will have a pretty full schedule of bands traveling through. On Feb. 2, Fishbone will once again make its presence known. With a combination of funk, rock and a style all its own, it is a band not to be missed. Opening up for the group will be the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

For those with a heavier musical taste, on Feb. 16, Sepultura and Fudge Tunnel with Clutch will take the stage. Concrete Blonde will once again make its way through Houston as well, with its own style of rock on Feb. 18.

Another club with a full ticket for the next month or so is the Shimmy Shack over on Washington Avenue. A show that should not be missed is Jawbox. This outfit will be playing its driving style of original rock on Feb. 19, along with Girls Against Boys.

On the 26th will be The Juliana Hatfield Three, and tickets are already on sale. Its special guest for the evening will be Yo La Tengo.

The Fabulous Satellite Lounge, at 3616 Washington Ave., will also have a fairly good lineup for a few dates in February. This Friday, Dah-Veed will bring its own style of feel-good music into town. Each time the group has passed through town, it has been packed houses and good times had by all.

On Feb. 11, the Flat Duo Jets, from North Carolina, will pass through town bringing its rockabilly sounds. Little Sister, from Austin, will have its CD release party on the 12th. The group has a solid mix of rock, funk and blues that will catch the ears of many. Opening for Little Sister will be Beat Temple.

Something that may be of note comes on Feb. 18 and 19, when the Road Kings will have its final performance. After performing for four years, the rockabilly sounds of the group will come to a close.

Over on Westheimer, at Goat's Head Soup, Therapy? will be performing its own style of "alternative" music this Friday. Yeah, that's right, the guys you occasionally see on MTV. The band's guests for the night will be Stabbing Westward and Pervis.

Two other shows worth mentioning will be by two legends in music. Blues great B.B. King & The Bobby "Blue" Band will be performing this Friday at the Arena Theatre. Also, over at Rockefeller's on Feb. 5 will be longtime legend Bo Diddley, along with Cadillac Jack.

So give yourself a break and have a good time. Whether you prefer donning your combat boots and moshing like a lunatic or just want a quiet evening of music, there is something for everyone. To find it, all you have to do is open your eyes and ears and you never know what you may find, or possibly want to forget, whichever the case may be.

BANKS MAKES IT TWO TOP PICKS FOR UH'S LINEBACKING CORPS

The official signing day for football recruits to commit to their chosen colleges or universities is still a day away, but Houston continued its late surge in picking up quality players with another top prospect verbally committing.

Keon Banks, a 6-1, 205-pound linebacker from C.E. King, committed to Houston, adding possible depth to the depleted position with the graduation of All-American Ryan McCoy, who holds the UH tackles record, and Allen Aldridge.

Banks, a Houston Post Top 100 prospect, joins Houston Chronicle and Houston Post Top 100 linebacker Mike Parker (6-2, 210) of Lamar to solidify the Cougars’ second line of defense.

On offense, Houston received a commitment from Paris tight end Kacy Jones (6-3, 215), adding to head coach Kim Helton's pro-set arsenal.

Houston also landed experience with two junior college transfers.

Jason Becker, a defensive lineman from Butler County (Kan.) Community College, and teammate tight end Chris Harold signed with Houston and are now enrolled at the university.

Becker joins fellow juco Darcy Franklin (6-4, 245) from Trinity Valley (La.) Junior College in Baton Rouge on the defensive line, bolstering a unit that was horrible against the run in 1993.

All junior college signees are available for spring practice, which the Cougars begin in early April.

Defensive coordinator Gene Smith said the Cougars have done well with talent the newcomers will be bringing.

"We're having a good, solid recruiting year," Smith said. "Next year, we'll have that (training) facility up that we can show recruits instead of showing them a spot of dirt."

RAMONES ACID EATERS A GOOD TRIP

Retro - its more than a prefix, its the attitude for the nineties. After virtually painting themselves into a corner without a window to climb out of, the music world began to retrace thier steps eithor by altering thier sound to match the ended eras or by covering 'oldies'.

The Ramones opted for the latter on <I>Acid Eaters<P>, reworking twelve sixties classics most of which are defining moments in music. Leaving the essence of each song intact, they added thier concrete cracking chords and rythms that thunder like buffalo herding across the plains.

Taking on the tough job of filling void left by the origional bassist, C.J. Ramone has shown that he is an addition, not a replacement. In concert his playing is strong and clean. On disc, he is measured and versatile. C.J. sings lead on "Journey To The Center Of The Mind", "The Shape Of Things To Come", and "My Back Pages". His sandy voice contrasts Joey Ramone's fuller one, yet manages to fit the band's style.

It's a difficult job to remake well known songs in a manner that causes one to forget the origional. For the Ramones, they'll have to settle for two out of three. Getting a tacit blessing from the Who, "Substitute" has Pete Townsend doing backing vocals on a boisterous rendering of this outcast anthem. The result is another timeless version of the classic.

Is it because the Stones wrote such great tunes, or because the Ramones do a jammed remake that "Baby Your Out Of Time" is the best cut on the album? Does it matter? The track has some smooth vocals and the intenstiy builds on a deliberate tack pushing the enjoyment envelope further.

Striking out on "Somebody To Love" the band tried to put Lincoln Logs and Leggos together. Sounding whiney the vocals are the obviously ill fitting, but the riffs seem to follow like a faithful dog.

After releasing many surf songs, is it any surprise that the album ends with "Surf City"? Exuding more fun than the early recordings, it feels like a driving a convertable on the beach. Coming from the Ramones, it feels effortless.

<I>Acid Eaters<P> is the Ramone's strongest album since <I>Too Tough To Die<P> . While the band has always had one or two remakes on thier albums, this covers disc shows that not only do they appreciate good music, they can make some too.