GOLDWIRE: IT HASN'T BEEN AN EASY YEAR

POINT GUARD-TURNED-SHOOTING GUARD LOST IN UNFAMILIAR TERRITORY

by Chris Peña

When you have led your high school team to a 36-0 record and finished your junior college career with a mark of 49-13, it is safe to say that losing is not familiar territory.

For senior guard Anthony Goldwire, however, his last year at the University of Houston will be remembered as one of the most unsuccessful in school history. The Alvin Brooks era at UH has meant a change in the Cougars' offensive style. Instead of relying on a conservative, walk-the-ball-up-the-floor approach, Brooks has instituted an up-tempo, run-and-gun show.

The change in offensive philosophy has also put added responsibilities on the 6-1 guard from Riviera Beach, Fla.

Goldwire has been moved from the point guard spot to the off-guard position, where he is relied upon to shoulder more of the offensive load than during his previous season here.

The transition has not been easy for Goldwire.

"I like playing the point better than the two-spot," Goldwire said. "(The change) has made this a very frustrating year."

Brooks has noticed a change in Goldwire's approach on the court this season.

"Anthony wants to win so badly that he is pressing at the end of the game," he said.

Brooks also said that at times, it seems as if his senior co-captain is doing too much on his own rather than trying to make things happen for the team as a whole.

Although the team is having a terrible season, Goldwire's numbers have remained steady.

As a consensus second-team All-Southwest Conference pick last season, Goldwire led UH in assists at 5.7 per game. He also led the SWC in free-throw shooting percentage, a feat he duplicated this year.

So far this year, he leads the team in scoring at 17 points per game and he is tops in assists (6.3) and steals (2.4).

Goldwire aspires to play professionally, but he is unsure of his basketball future.

"I want to play pro ball," he said, "but right now, I just have to wait and see."

Although Goldwire may be looking to the future, his current situation places him in the tumultuous world of Cougar basketball.

In this world, his team has lost 12 games in a row and there is nothing he can do except try his hardest on and off the court.

It's been difficult for Goldwire to determine the reasons why the team has been playing below expectations.

"We practice real hard every day," he said. "But when we get into the game, we have mental breakdowns."

Case in point is the record-setting loss against the University of Texas on Saturday.

"Coach (Brooks) was diagramming the play to break the press, but nobody did it," he said.

There is no question that Goldwire is a competitor. He said the lack of drive is displayed by his teammates, something coaches and co-captains alike have tried to correct.

"Rafael (Carrasco) always asks them (the players) if they like to lose," Goldwire said. "I try to talk to them nicely because if I yell at them and coach yells at them, it makes everything worse."

The worst scenario for a senior athlete, whether he rides the pine or starts, is to finish his collegiate career with a bad season.

"I don't want to go out like this," he said. "I was real excited about this year. I led my summer league in scoring. (The offense) was up and down, just the way it was supposed to be here this year."

Even with all the difficulties the team has had, Goldwire still holds out some hope for success.

"I don't want to sound pessimistic, but we can't win the regular season," he said. "We need to get a win and get a good seed so maybe we can have a chance in the postseason."

For the Cougars to have any chance, the feisty, successful team leader must step up and show the Southwest Conference what his team already knows – that Anthony Goldwire is one of the best guards in the country.

*******************************************************

BOOKSTORE ALTERNATIVE EXISTS ONLY ON PAPER

At the start of each semester, long lines are one of two things a student can depend on – the other is buying and selling textbooks.

The prevailing sentiment among many students is anger, frustration or resentment toward high prices, low buy-back prices and high prices on used books.

"There's too much bureaucracy. Students are at the (short) end of the stick," said Christina Marent, a senior music major.

She sold a $37 book back for $11.

A bill introduced into SA last semester proposed an alternative to the bookstore's buy-back program.

The Textbook Resale Information Service is legislation creating a service that will link prospective sellers of textbooks to prospective buyers.

Although this legislation was passed, TRIS only exists on paper and has no funding.

"TRIS provides an alternative to the bookstore's system," said SA Senator Justin McMurtry, sponsor of the bill.

"Systems like this exist in other universities and help decrease the amount of money people have to pay for textbooks," he said.

Legislation to allot $1,000 to TRIS was proposed at Monday’s SA meeting but did not pass because a quorum was not present.

Fuller has not yet appointed a chairperson to TRIS, but says he expects a pilot program to be enacted by summer.The university system's contract with Barnes and Noble, the company that administers the campus bookstore, states that the bookstore must buy used books at no less than 50 percent of the new-book value if the same book can be used the following semester.

However, the store is not required to pay that 50 percent if it is adequately stocked for the next semester's needs. Under those circumstances, the bookstore will buy back books at the suggested wholesale price.

The bookstore undergoes an audit twice a year to ensure their compliance.

"The name of the game is to have as many used books as possible," said Gerard Maloney, the bookstore's general manager.

"We want to sell used books – our margin is higher," he said. If the bookstore sells used books, they don't have to pay royalties, nor do they have to pay the publisher, so the profit per book is higher.

<I>America and Its People, vol. 1<P>, a best-selling history text, sells for $37.75. The bookstore purchases that volume for $27.95. The bookstore will repurchase the book for $19 until the inventory is filled. Once that happens, the bookstore will buy back the book for $11 – the suggested wholesale value as of Jan. 12.

In order to determine what price the bookstore will pay for a used book, estimates of book need are made.

For this semester, three sections required <I>America<P>. The bookstore estimated that 400 books would be required to fill the sections. Of those 400, 225 were to be 'used' and 175 were to be ordered. Once those 225 books had been repurchased at 50 percent of their new selling price, any extra books purchased are bought at their wholesale price.

Book requests are mailed to the publisher one month before the resale process begins, forcing no more than the estimated number of books be repurchased at half-price.

The regional manager for Barnes and Noble, Stella Roberts, said, "Our mission is to serve the students on this campus."

In the past year, the book buy-back locations have increased to five, up from only two in the 1992—93 year.

Both Maloney and Roberts said publishing companies are responsible for many of the resale problems.

"When I was in school, we used the same volume for five or six years. Now it's about two years at most," Maloney said.

They both said they prefer to sell used books.

Once a volume is changed, it becomes obsolete.

Barnes and Noble administers 285 college bookstores nationwide and a sister division administers more than 1,000 general bookstores.

The Bookstore Advisory Committee is the group that oversees the handling of the contract with Barnes and Noble.

A student seat on the committee has remained unfilled due to schedule conflicts of students who have been appointed.

"We really want students to participate (in the committee)," said Marsha Gerhardt, a nonvoting member and the contract administrator.

Jason Fuller, Students' Association president, hopes to have the seat filled. He cited schedule conflicts for the lack of attendance.

UH BLASTS OFF

by Meagan McGovern

When the space shuttle Discovery blasts off from Florida's Kennedy Space Center Thursday morning, a new chapter in UH history will be etched in galium arsenide.

The flight will be remembered nationwide as the first shuttle flight with a Russian cosmonaut on board.

At UH, however, the flight will be remembered as the first time the Wake Shield Facility went into orbit.

The project, created by UH’s Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center, is an attempt to grow semiconductor materials in the ultrahard vacuum and microgravity of near Earth orbit.

If successful, the semiconducting material could be further developed to fabricate ultra-high-speed computer chips.

According to Alex Ignatiev, director of the Wake Shield Facility, in theory, the new type of high-purity process could be utilized to build computers that run up to eight times faster than machines which use similar galium arsenide devices fabricated on Earth.

Until takeoff, however, nothing is certain – shuttles are notorious for being delayed; in fact, the Wake Shield Facility was originally scheduled to go up in November.

At the moment, all plans are firm for the shuttle launch at 6:10 a.m. Thursday, Houston time. UH President James Pickering will be in Florida for the liftoff, as will Ignatiev and other key figures from the UH science team.

The shuttle takeoff and other events surrounding the launch will be broadcast on UH cable's Channel 41.

The station began broadcasting shuttle launch preparations on Monday. All campus users can tune in.

BLACK HISTORY LESSON

Civil rights activist Ada Edwards greeted the start of Black History Month with a challenge to UH students: "We can no longer afford Black History Month to be 28 days of black <I>Jeopardy<P>."

She went further to illuminate the problems within the black community, finding at its roots fundamental philosophical differences between the African and European traditions.

"You are; therefore, I am. I am; therefore, you are," she said in reference to the communal understanding of her ancestors.

"This is fundamentally opposed to Descartes' notion of 'I think; therefore, I am,'" she said.

"We were taught to be separate. We were taught individual behavior as a method of survival," she said.

She warned a sparse crowd at the UC Tuesday to be careful of others "pimping" history.

"You have got to get the 'niggerization' out of your head. You can see that 'niggerization' today – the 'niggerization' of the plantation."

She showed the history of tragedy that has marked the African American experience, and the history of accomplishments that were necessary for mere survival.

"You are not here because you made a free decision. Your very presence here is implicit that someone in your family made some very strong decisions," she said.

CAMPUS PARKING GAME NEED NOT END WITH STUBBED TOW

by Maria Ali

From teachers to students, employees to visitors, most everyone at UH has used the university parking lots or transportation services at some point, and it's the job of the Parking and Transportation division to monitor the traffic flow and create equitable parking conditions for everyone on campus.

Things are a bit confused at the beginning of the semester as students are registering, working on class schedules, buying and selling books, etc., but as weeks pass and the crazy confusion dies, a more routine and set pattern is observed.

One of the biggest concerns of almost all students is finding a convenient parking place. At UH you have three parking options that trade off cost and convenience.

A majority of students use the economy/outlying parking lots that cost only $9 for a full year, beginning in fall. Another option is the student lots for $63 annually or $36 per semester. The last option is parking in RHE (Residence Halls Exclusive) lots for $90 a year or $54 per semester. RHE permits allow parking in student or economy lots and student lots permits allow you to park in economy lots.

Most students do not know all the rules and regulations concerning parking at UH, and some who know the rules ignore them.

Citations and towing are one way Parking and Transportation tries to control the chaos.

After four unheeded citations, a vehicle can be towed away, and incurred costs are your responsibility? The fine increases after 21 days and is turned over for collection.

It is good common sense to take notice of parking citations and contact Parking and Transportation if you have any questions. You even have the opportunity to appeal, in which case your case is handled by the Student Traffic Court.

A1 through A7 fines (listed on the back of the citations) are reduced by half when paid within two working days of the violation. This semester, the enforcement date for issuing citations is Feb. 7. Students who have not received their permits by then must contact Parking and Transportation in the basement of E. Cullen for an extension.

The construction on Cullen Boulevard is one of the biggest problems students must work around this semester. One alternative for people exiting I-45 is to use the Scott exit, then navigate to the lots using Elgin or Holman. The construction will continue most of this year because both sides of the road will be reconstructed.

Parking and Transportation Director Gerald Hagen said he was concerned about illegal parking in fire zones and handicapped parking spaces.

A vehicle will be immediately towed if it is blocking access to emergency vehicles or is illegally parked in a handicapped space.

Hagen said the lots with the most abuses, in terms of illegal parking, are 15E and 15D near Robertson Stadium and 19A near Melcher Hall.

Parking and Transportation has been conducting a survey to determine if enough parking space is available and which lots are used more than others. The survey continues this semester and is mailed with the parking permits.

For those who already have a permit, the survey is available at Parking and Transportation in E. Cullen. Students can take this opportunity to comment on the parking system by filling out a survey and returning it by March 1.

"Our parking issues are centered around convenience. We all use facilities under the rules and regulations provided. If anyone needs additional information on alternatives, we encourage students to call us at 743—1097 with their questions or comments. Otherwise, if anyone is experiencing difficulties finding spaces in student lots, we encourage the use of the Economy lots, which have quick shuttle service to the center of the campus," Hagen said.

UH STUDENT TO APPEAR IN INDEPENDENT FILM

by James Aldridge

As a child, Tony D. Canady would line up his teddy bears and pretend he was Bob Barker. Now the 22-year-old actor hopes to be the next Denzel Washington or Wesley Snipes in terms of success.

Balancing his time between school and an acting career, senior journalism and radio-television major Canady stars in a locally produced film due out in late April.

Canady will be the leading man in this $50,000 love story set in the black community. <I>Perfect "B"<P> is about the struggle of a man and a successful female lawyer trying to make something out of their lives in a society of violence, racism, sexism and other social ills.

Canady plays Andrew Calhoun, a man who has had many of his dreams fail. Canady describes his character as someone who has had to learn how to be a man because of a poor relationship with his own father.

Canady said <I>Perfect "B"<P> is not the stereotypical black film, portraying all blacks as drug dealers or gang members.

"There is a genre of 'black films' that have been either like <I>Menace II Society<P>, <I>Boys In the Hood<B> or <I>New Jack City<P> on one end – or at the other, movies like <I>Boomerang<P>, where everyone is filthy rich," he said.

He also said he commends writer-producer-director Lawrence Williams for making a movie that stars a black woman as a successful character.

Canady said he was hired "strictly by accident." While he was working in a video of rap artist Scarface, auditions were being held literally around the corner. He read for the part and was called in for a second interview and received the co-starring role.

In addition to music videos, Canady has had minor roles in made-for-television movies including <I>Point Man<P> and <I>Witness to the Execution<P>, which will be shown on Feb. 19. He also was an extra and a production assistant in a film called <I>Jason's Lyric<P> and starred in a local production of the play <I>Raisin In the Sun<P>.

While Canady was working on <I>Perfect "B"<P>, he had to find time to study.

"Since the work took 14 to 15 hours a day, I took my books on the set," he said.

Canady said 1994 will be his year. Even if he doesn't make the silver screen, having dual degrees in journalism and radio-television will broaden his horizons in the communications field.

"If I'm not being interviewed, I'll be the one doing the interview," he said.

SORORITY SPRING RUSH RELAXED, LESS FORMAL

by Amanda Swaty

In the words of Barbara Vogler, "If I were to see a big sign with the word 'Rush' on it, I would probably walk right by."

Vogler, a junior pre-business major, is the rush chairman for the Houston Collegiate Pan-Hellenic Association, the umbrella group that oversees the sororities on campus. As with the other Greek organizations on campus, HCPA is eager to dismiss the air of exclusivity that surrounds them.

One way HCPA is attempting to reform their system is through a new approach to recruitment.

According to Vogler, "Blonde hair, blue eyes and wealthy parents – that is not who we are. We understand the dynamic nature of the traditional UH student."

Indeed, the traditional UH student should feel comfortable with the new focus of the sorority system. Vogler expresses interest in recruiting individuals who are "interested in campus life, UH events, and eager to meet others who share their interests."

The academic policy is flexible enough to include a majority of those who want to participate, with the stipulation that candidates have either a 2.0 GPA from the previous UH semester or a 2.0 cumulative GPA from another institution.

Anyone who feels they meet those requirements is encouraged to approach the sorority system during the spring or fall rush.

The spring rush is less formal and often more relaxed than its fall counter part. Phi Mu, Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma are trying to find members to fill vacancies left by departing members and graduates. The actual events, their size and the persons attending are decided by the individual chapter.

The fall rush is more structured and provides the prospective member with the opportunity to meet all of the sororities in a more formal, party setting.

Those interested in participating in either rush activity should contact Barbara Vogler or Kelly Morgan through the Greek Life office, located in the UC Underground. Phone 743—5183.

Through rush, Vogler hopes to make the sorority system ," bigger and better. Three years ago, this campus had only one sorority house. Now we have five We keep getting better all the time."

TAKING A BREAK

SOJOURN TO SAN ANTONIO COULD BE THE CURE FOR UH'S SWC WOES

Maybe this is just what the Cougars need – a rest from the Southwest Conference.

After losing their first six conference games and falling to a lowly 2-14 on the season, Houston heads out I-10 to take on the University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners.

Tip-off is set for 7:30 tonight at the Alamo City's Convocation Center.

For the Cougars, who currently own a school-record 12-game losing streak, they can only hope the same trend that took place last season happens this year.

The Cougars had just lost their fourth straight SWC game at Texas Christian after starting the league season at 4-0.

Houston then took their woes on the road where they handily defeated non-conference opponents Nevada-Reno and Cal State-Fullerton before returning home to win seven of their next eight SWC games.

"Our top focus this week is trying to turn things around," Houston head coach Alvin Brooks said. "I'm trying to get (my) guys out of their self-pity mode."

After looking like they might break out of their 10-game losing streak following an 85-81 loss to Baylor on Jan. 22, the Cougars only got worse, losing a 70-64 setback at Southern Methodist and then taking a pounding at home, 110-78, at the hands of the Texas Longhorns.

During that time, they shot a combined 51-of-124 (41 percent) from the field and only 7-of-27 (26 percent) from the 3-point line.

Now they must travel to take on an improving Roadrunners team that has won three games in a row while going 4-5 in the Southland Conference and 7-9 overall.

"We try and play a lot of players," said UTSA coach Stu Starner. "But we still have not solidified."

The Roadrunners are led by 6-5 senior forward Rodney Smith, who averages 15.8 points and 8.1 rebounds per game.

"(Smith) is definitely our best player," Starner said. "He comes to play every day."

Coming off the bench is a name that may be familiar to Houston Rockets fans.

Afis Olajuwon, a 6-4 senior forward, is the younger brother of Rockets center Hakeem Olajuwon.

And like Hakeem, Starner points out that the younger sibling is just as capable a scorer.

"Afis is a pretty good scorer who has really settled into being our sixth man," he said. Olajuwon averages 11.9 points per game.

But for Houston to win, it will need to get senior guard Anthony Goldwire going again.

Goldwire has fallen on some hard times in recent games after starting the season on a high note. During the past two games (against SMU and Texas) Goldwire has made just 3-of-20 shots from the field and has scored only 17 points.

"Anthony's been pressing, especially late in the game," Brooks said. "He wants to win so bad that sometimes he takes things on himself too much."

"This season has been very frustrating," Goldwire said. "But we need to get a win."

The Cougars are looking for their fourth straight win against UTSA in a series that dates back to 1981. Houston defeated the Roadrunners 94-76 last season in Hofheinz Pavilion.

In their only trip to San Antonio in 1986, the Cougars spanked UTSA 105-59.

"I think Houston has a lot of stuff going for them," Starner said. "I can barely tell why they're not doing so well."

KING BISCUIT

HEIGHTS EATERY UNPRETENTIOUS

by Shannon Bishop

In the middle of a residential area in the Heights lies a small unassuming restaurant named King Biscuit.

Located just east of Houston Ave. on White Oak, this structure was built in 1927, and for a very long time, was a gas station. In 1984, it was renovated into a restaurant called Toucan's, then into a Cajun eatery, Bo Beaux. King Biscuit opened in July last year.

Although the building retains much of its gas station charm, it has metamorphosed into one of the comfiest and coolest neighborhood restaurants going.

For those of you who have never been to the Heights, it's one of Houston's oldest neighborhoods with a mixture of charming Victorian houses and apartment buildings. It reminds me of a small town in the middle of the city, and King Biscuit is one of the neighborhood's best kept secrets. Although this is essentially an overgrown gas station with a deck and Christmas lights, the menu refers to the building as "the castle."

The interior is a cross between a New Orleans bar and a Mexican villa adorned with artwork by local artists. Mardi Gras memorabilia decorates the bar – a multileveled space with two dining rooms, bar and a patio.

Where in this city can one find a charming tiled patio with a view unobstructed by traffic, rivaling that of Austin's famed Oasis bar and restaurant? King Biscuit's patio and dining room overlook White Oak Bayou and lovely downtown Houston. The view alone is worth a visit, but there are other reasons to visit the King.

The menu offers a variety of food styles – Tex Mex Chicken Fajitas, Southwestern Grilled Chicken Pasta and those classic American favorites – sandwiches, hamburgers and fried appetizers.

Although in my spare time I pretend to be a gourmand, I have this secret weak spot for anything cooked in a deep-fat fryer, especially stuffed jalapeños and mushrooms filled with cheddar cheese. The onion rings are good too.

For those of you seeking a more healthful dining experience, try the vegetable plate or the seafood pasta salad. The pasta primavera is a perfect example of the genre – fettucini, cooked al dente, with fresh vegetables, basil and olive oil. Don't let the simplicity of the dish dissuade you in this corrupt culinary world of cloying cream and butter-laden primaveras.

I also heartily recommend the shrimp and crab enchiladas with beans and rice. The sandwiches are good lunch fare. Try the Wimpie or the vegetarian, both with secret sauce. Whenever a menu boasts secret sauce, I must have some. Usually secret sauce means a mixture of mayonnaise, pickle relish, and ketchup – the secret is out. This secret sauce however, didn't contain ketchup.

King Biscuit's food is unpretentious, standard fare made with fresh ingredients. Nothing comes to the table flaming or in a puddle. This restaurant offers a cozy, student-friendly atmosphere. Don't be afraid to linger over dessert standbys – pecan pie or cheesecake – and coffee, as you study or contemplate the origins of the name King Biscuit as I did. Oh, there are no biscuits on the menu and they don't serve breakfast.

Best of all, you get lots of food for your food dollar at King Biscuit. Entrees, including a dinner salad, start at $5.95, appetizers and sides at $2.95.

There's a pretty good beer selection – Celis, Shiner Bock and Bass on tap, and nightly beer and drink specials.

There's usually live music on Saturday nights and they have two for one burgers during happy hour on Wednesday.

Trust me when I tell you, if you are a hot-shot culinary aficionado longing for exotic flavors and a mention in Maxine Mesinger's column, King Biscuit is not for you. But if you long for a good, honest meal, a beer, and a spot to hang out that is neither stuffy nor a franchise, I may see you there.

Bishop is a senior majoring in creative writing

King Biscuit

Where: 1606 White Oak

Telephone: 861—2328

Open M—F: 11 a.m.—midnight, Sat.: 11 a.m.—2 a.m., Sun.: noon—10 p.m.

All major credit cards accepted

REDD KROSS COMBINES TWO SOUNDS

by Tom Turner

After a decade and a half of various albums, films and tours, the members of Redd Kross have returned and once again brought to the masses a strong release with <I>Phaseshifter<P>.

This self-produced effort is the band's first release since way back in 1990. The 12 tracks on the album aptly display how the group has grown musically and matured together over the past 10-plus years. <I>Phaseshifter<P> is the sixth release by the five-member band.

The band is comprised of founding members Jefferey McDonald, who provides lead vocals and guitar, and brother Steven McDonald, on bass and backing vocals. Also on guitar is Edward Kurdziel. Gere Fennelly plays piano and organ and drummer Brian Reitzell rounds out the band.

The members of this eclectic group combine well and flow together to create an aggressive and driving '60s sound. Along with this, the members of Red Kross add their own brand of heavy grooves to a decidedly pop-punk feel.

The first single on <I>Phaseshifter<P> is "Jimmy's Fantasy," and it is a prime example of the group's unique style, which has already received attention from radio stations around the country.

Other strong tracks on <I>Phaseshifter<P> include "Monolith," "Huge Wonder" and "After School Special," each weighing in with the aforementioned energetic pop-punk style.

<I>Phaseshifter<P> is the latest release from the California-based Redd Kross. The band steers away from the current trend of voicing anger against authority or the alienation of today's youth.

Redd Kross creates a unique image by combining the light feel of the '60s and heavy sounds of the '90s. <I>Phaseshifter<P> is definitely worth a listen by old fans, new fans and the simply curious.

Redd Kross will continue to push its way into the collections of more and more music listeners for years to come.