FLOWERS DOESN'T WILT

by Tom Turner

In June 1991, Black Market Flowers began the quest for music industry respect, and its first major release, titled <I>Bind<P>, may get it.

The California-based group – comprised of Matt Neth on guitar and lead vocals, Bryan Ray on bass and Heath Patterson on drums – flows together to create a powerful sense of an in-your-face style of heavy rock on several tracks of <I>Bind<P>.

Along with this, the band is able to display some technique, which helps the members complement each other with their own playing capabilities and styles.

<I>Bind<P> has an almost raw, flowing sound that moves throughout the course of the hour-long album. On the whole, a good portion of the disc is solid, heavy, original rock. Okay, so the heavy sound of wailing guitars and screaming vocals has been done before, but these guys can hold their own fairly well, especially since this is only their debut and they are still working their way up the ol' music ladder.

However, the opening track, "Fixin'," can leave a bad taste in one's mouth due to its unoriginal sound – as if the three members sat down, cut and pasted a combination of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and other riffs together, and tried to call it their own. Bad idea.

Some of the more memorable tracks on the release are "Kenny and Cleo," "Sympathize," "Mykel and Carli" and "I'll Awake."

<I>Bind<P> is a solid effort with a respectable outcome. Go out and pick this one up at your favorite used compact disc section and look for these guys in the future.

*******************************************************

BSU READY FOR FULL MONTH

by Tiffany Vaughner

The UH Black Student Union celebrates Black History Month with a full calendar of events that features local and nationally renowned people in the African American community.

Today, there will be a panel discussion on "Self Help Institutions in the Black Community." The panelists tentatively scheduled will be DeLloyd Parker, director of the S. H. A. P. E. Community Center; Pastor Kirby John Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist church; and Pastor James Dixon of Northwest Baptist Church. The discussion will be held in the UC’s World Affairs Lounge from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Henry Bell, a junior economics major and president of the BSU, said the panelist will be discussing the importance of self-help institutions in the black community and how African Americans can start such institutions in their communities.

On Saturday, the play <I>CLASS<P> by former UH theater instructor Franklin J. Anderson will be performed at the Jewish Community Center's Kaplan Theater. The play is about black male and female relationships and the theme is, "If you really want to know what black love is, grab a pad and a pen because class is about to begin." The show starts at 8 p.m.

On Sunday, the UH chapter of Delta Sigma Theta sorority will host the Peppermint Carnation Ball at the UH Hilton from 7 p.m. to midnight.

On Feb. 14, the BSU will hold an African Cultural Celebration called "Sherehe" (a West African communal celebration). The celebration allows people to come together and learn about each other through poetry, song and dance. Bell said there will also be exercises in trust-building, such as having a blindfolded person stand in a chair and fall back into the crowd. The celebration will be held in the UC Embassy Room from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

On Feb. 15, Morris Graves, associate director of the African American Studies program, will give a lecture on Afrocentrism in the UC Caribbean Room from noon to 1:30 p.m.

On Feb. 16, the African American Pre-Health Association will hold its 1994 Health Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. At 7 p.m., Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity will host a "Tribute to the Black Woman" in the Social Work Building. Bell said the tribute is to show how much they love and respect the black woman.

On Feb. 17, Professor Julian Hare will be lecturing on the problems facing the black community and the endangered black family in the UC Embassy Room from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

On Feb. 19, the Community Artist Collective will host "Coffee Talk," featuring poetry readings and jazz. The readings will be held at the Barnes-Blackmon Galleries from 8 p.m. until midnight.

On Feb. 21, Omega Psi Phi fraternity will sponsor a panel discussion on "Miscarriages of Justice: Justice, Racism and the Legal System." The panelists are the Rev. Jew Don Boney, Prairie View A&M Professor Imari Obadele and UH graduate student Amilcar Shabazz.

Charles Hollis, a sophomore economics major and a member of Omega Psi Phi, said, "Panelists will give an overview on how exactly the legal system has systematically destroyed the black man." The discussion will be held in the Cougar Den from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Feb. 22 will feature a lecture by the keynote speaker of the month, Ma'im Akbar, a pioneer in the field of African-centered psychology. She will be speaking on "Reclaiming the black mind."

The lecture will be held in the UC World Affairs Lounge from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

On Feb. 23, there will be a panel discussion called "Business Day." The panel will be discussing black businesses, black entrepreneurship and blacks in corporate America. UH alumnae Michelle Barnes of Barnes-Blackmon Galleries will be one of the panelists. The discussion will be held in the UC World Affairs Lounge from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

On Feb. 24, the Pan Hellenic Council will hold a Black Faculty Reception to "show appreciation for the black faculty," Bell said. Time and place to be announced.

The closing of the month will feature a style show on Feb. 28. Bell said the show will showcase different styles of dress by African people all over the world. Most of the people participating will be faculty and students. The style show will be held in the UC’s Houston Room from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

THE STREAK IS OVER!

GOLDWIRE SAVES UH FROM 14TH LOSS

After 13 games of digging, the Houston Cougars finally struck gold – literally.

Cougars senior guard Anthony Goldwire nailed two free throws with 3.7 seconds left in the game to cap off a ferocious comeback as Houston knocked off the Rice Owls, 69-67, in Autry Court on Saturday afternoon.

More important, the Cougars ended their record 13-game losing streak and avoided going through the first half of Southwest Conference play without a win.

With 5:53 to go, the Owls seemingly had the Cougars down for the count, up 61-48. But Houston (3-15, 1-6 SWC) quickly stormed back behind three straight 3-pointers to cut the Rice lead to 61-57 at the four-minute mark.

The Owls even had as much as an eight-point lead, 67-59, with just 2:45 left. But the Cougars refused to go down – particularly Goldwire.

Rice (11-8, 3-4 SWC) never scored again as Goldwire poured in the last seven points of the ballgame to seal the victory.

"(Rice) didn't stop me," Goldwire said. "I was going to the hole, and I felt comfortable shooting the free throws (at the end of the ballgame) too."

Goldwire led all Houston scorers with 17 points after being held to just a basket at the half.

"Anthony hit some big shots in the end and we were able to pull out the victory," said Cougars head coach Alvin Brooks.

However, the Cougars really had control of this game from the start.

The Cougars took command of a 35-29 halftime lead behind the strength of some steady support from the bench.

Reserves Roderick Griggs, Lloyd Wiles and Willie Byrd scored a combined 10 points on 4-of-6 shooting.

"(The bench) was a big key in our win today," Brooks said. "They came out with a great attitude and really got after it on defense."

But Rice coach Willis Wilson stressed that his team should have won even though he made no bones about UH earning the victory.

"It's a game that we felt we should have won," Wilson said. "But Houston played a game. They didn't steal it; they won it."

Rice forward Torrey Andrews, who led all scorers with 19 points, also emphasized that Houston is a better team than most teams give them credit for.

"It didn't take a loss for us to realize that Houston's got a good team," Andrews said. "Goldwire is a money-type player and he makes things happen."

But on this day, just about everything Goldwire touched turned to just that – gold.

SA INTERNAL AFFAIR TO PROBE 'LOGOGATE'

Students' Association Internal Affairs Chairman Greg Propes will investigate a $150 expenditure made to put the SA logo on SA President Jason Fuller's fraternity’s T-shirts.

The problem arose over a possible "conflict of interest" between Fuller's position in SA and his membership in Sigma Phi Epsilon, said Coy Wheeler, SA Senate speaker.

"If there was a question of a conflict of interest, I would not have allowed the purchase," Fuller said. "I'm wondering what the intent is in something like this coming to light two weeks before the election."

Fuller said students should consider what political motivation there is behind such an accusation.

"It's politics. It's not a way of funneling money into my fraternity," Fuller said. "I have nothing to do with the finances or the programming of my fraternity."

Fuller said he belongs to many organizations and that those organizations should not be penalized because of his position in SA.

Fuller had come under fire last semester when he was accused and found innocent of hanging a banner that was derogatory toward homosexuals.

Angie Milner, SA's director of public relations, requested approval for the expenditure from Campus Activities.

The logo was put on Sigma Phi Epsilon's annual Kamikaze T-shirts.

"The T-shirts were for an entire year of functions," Fuller said. "The shirts were not seen and worn exclusively by Sigma Phi Epsilon, but by the members of the entire Greek community and non-Greeks."

Milner said she did not see a conflict of interest when the fraternity came to her with the proposal for the logo. Milner said she still does not see a problem with the expenditure.

For $150, SA got the attention of all Greeks, she said.

"We wanted to get the Greek community involved. We figured a T-shirt would be long-lasting and they (students) would see our name," Milner said.

SA also advertises in the Rush book and at other events, she added.

Wheeler said he has not seen the T-shirts, but he does not see any advertising benefits for SA.

"As a marketing major, that's awful select-target marketing. There's better ways to spend $150, especially with all the negative publicity it's going to get," he said.

Wheeler said Fuller should give an explanation to the entire Senate to explain why this was good advertising for SA.

"I think this is another example in a pattern of ethically questionable behavior of President Fuller," said Justin McMurtry, a senator from HFAC and a vocal critic of Fuller.

Consuelo Trevino, director of Campus Activities, said she thought the money request was for money to have a new logo designed for SA.

The actual wording of the purchase voucher states that the $150 is "payment to Sigma Phi Epsilon for Students' Association logo printed on Kamikaze T-shirts and invitations."

The stated purpose was to gain "name recognition" in the Greek community.

Trevino and Cindy Gamble, the financial manager, both signed off on the request when it first came in because they did not see anything "ethically questionable" about it.

Financial expenditures require both signatures before any funds can be disbursed, Trevino said, adding that the request must have come in with a stack of requests, so they did not see anything questionable about it until they sat down to review SA expenditures.

"The flags came up when we reviewed it, so I called Jason and asked him if it was a legitimate expense," she said.

Trevino said she hoped he would offer to have his fraternity reimburse SA for the expenditure because it appeared to be of questionable ethics and a conflict of interest.

Fuller told her he thought it was a "legitimate expense" because the T-shirts would be worn by a number of students and it had been done on another campus.

The expenditure was part of an extensive public relations campaign launched last fall, Fuller said.

"We informed organizations that if there was any possible way to reach your constituents, then we would like to do that," he said.

Wheeler said Fuller has to have permission from the Senate to move money within SA accounts, but not to spend it from a budget line item like advertising.

"This was not an illegal payment. The question here is whether there was a conflict of interest. It's his storm to weather," he said.

Propes said the expenditure was not in the budget report to internal affairs.

Wheeler and Propes said they believe the rules should change so expenditures would be broken down specifically.

"I told Jason it could come back and haunt him later," Trevino said. "He said he would take care of it."

Sources within SA who did not wish to be named, said they had hoped to handle this within the Senate without public disclosure because the incident would further hurt SA’s credibility.

Fuller came under fire last semester when he was accused and found innocent of hanging a banner that was derogatory toward homosexuals.

UHPD'S WILLIAMS EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR

by Bridget Baulch

University of Houston Police Department Sgt. Jon Williams received the 1993 Employee of the Year Award Wednesday.

Before presenting Williams with his plaque, Police Chief George Hess said, "Williams is the backbone of the department. Everyone can look to Williams as a leader – someone whose work habits you would want to clone. He sets the example."

Williams was recognized for his meritorious efforts during the past year. He was responsible for the apprehension and arrest of four criminal suspects in three separate incidents and received the Employee of the Month award in April for twice stopping car burglaries, which resulted in the capture and arrest of the suspects. Williams was once more named Employee of the Month in June for the apprehension of a suspected car thief who was in the car he allegedly had just taken by force from a student.

"I'm very happy," Williams said. "I really enjoy being out in the field. (And) it's always a lot of fun to work with quality people."

Police service has always been a part of Williams' life. After graduating from high school in Ohio, he served in the U.S. Army Military Police. After leaving the Army, he worked a year at the Texas Department of Corrections. He left TDC in 1980 to work for UHPD, where he was promoted to sergeant after two years of service. In 1992, Williams completed his degree in criminal justice at the University of Houston—Downtown.

This is the second time in Williams' 14-year career with the department he has received the Employee of the Year Award. Williams' contribution to UHPD has also been recognized with 10 Employee of the Month awards, four Distinguished Duty awards, 13 Certificates of Merit, a five-year award, a ten-year award and numerous letters of commendation and appreciation.

"Jon has a real concerned and caring attitude. That is why he has been so successful," said colleague Lt. Brad Wigtil.

RAMS SILENCE UH BATS

It was the best of teams, it was the worst of teams.

The Houston Cougars showed their best Jekyll and Hyde impression after hosting the Texas Wesleyan Rams Sunday. The Rams mauled UH 11-0 in a game during which the Cougars committed six errors.

Houston pitcher David Hamilton (0-1) was yanked in the first inning after allowing only one unearned run. Marc DeMarco went the distance for the Rams, allowing four hits and two walks.

The game's winning run was scored in the first inning when Weslayan's Shelby Lee scored the first run of the game on a single by Kreyton Paschall after reaching base on an error.

The Rams (2-1) scored their 11 runs on 10 hits. They were helped by nine walks and one hit batter. The Cougars hit several hard liners at the Ram defense but none made it through.

Head coach Bragg Stockton said if the game had gone differently in the early innings, the outcome might have been different.

"It puts us back to square one," Stockton said.

This after the Cougars (2-1) won their first two games in a doubleheader sweep Saturday.

They shut out the Texas Lutheran Bulldogs in both games 3-0 and 4-0.

Ricky Freeman hit two home runs and Shane Buteaux added another in the victories. Buteaux also had a save in the first game.

HOPPING HAPPENINGS HIT UH

Christy's Campus

I told you things would pick up. Our campus is swamped with activities this week! You can hardly walk from one class to another without running into a program or activity. There is no excuse not to enjoy your school day. Just look at all the things going on this week.

<B>MONDAY Feb. 7<P>

•Today is the last day to drop a class and receive a tuition refund. So if you aren't ever going to that physics class again, you might as well get your money back. Pick up drop forms in the Registration Office.

•The CBS College Tour is back. That means free hourly prizes such as boxer shorts, T-shirts, sport bottles etc. You could be the lucky winner who receives a new Ford Probe or a trip to L.A. to see <I>The Price is Right<P>. Stop by Lynn Eusan Park today and tomorrow between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. and check out the tour.

It's based on all of your favorite CBS shows including <I>Northern Exposure<P>, <I>Murphy Brown<P>, <I>The Price is Right<P> and more. Come try your skills as a sportscaster for CBS Sports or display your dramatic talents in a clip from <I>Young and the Restless<P>. The tour is brought to you by the Student Program Board.

•Today at 4 p.m. is the last interest meeting for anyone considering joining the O-Team. The Orientation Team is a great opportunity to earn money and have fun. Applications are due Friday. For more information, call 743—5470.

<B>TUESDAY Feb. 8<P>

•Who says rugby is just for men? If you are one tough woman, why not play Ladies UH Rugby. You don't need experience. If you enjoy athletic competition, check into it. For more info, call Deena at 955—1720 or Stacy at 861—7335. Give blood – play rugby!

•If you’re looking for fine cuisine, don't look any farther than our campus. Barron's Restaurant in the UH Hilton is featuring cuisine from Australia from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. It sure beats the cafeteria again.

<B>WEDNESDAY Feb. 9<P>

•While you're lunching in the UC today, check out the Spring 1994 Activities Mart. It runs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. If there is a club or campus activity you are interested in joining, you'll probably find a representative of that group at the Activities Mart. There's something for everybody, so swing by and become involved.

•Tonight, the Lady Cougars take on TCU. Come cheer on Pat Luckey and company as we stomp the Horned Frogs in basketball. The action starts at 7 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion.

<B>THURSDAY Feb. 10<P>

•Did you know that February is SPB Awareness Month? Did you also know that a portion of your fee bill pays for SPB's activities? Did you know that they are throwing a hell of a party tonight in the OB Ballroom? Ballroom Blitz is a concert featuring 3 bands: Damascus (heavy metal), Grimace (hard rock), and headliner Bamboo Crises (industrial). Oberholtzer Hall is the residence hall in the center of the Quadrangle. The fun starts at 8 p.m.

<B>FRIDAY Feb. 11<P>

•Today is the last day to file for your graduation application for spring.

<B>SATURDAY Feb. 12<P>

•The Cougars will take on Texas Tech at 4 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion. Come out and support the Coogs.

<B>SUNDAY Feb. 13<P>

•The rodeo is coming up and you still don't know how to two-step! Don't be embarrassed; there is a place you can get help. The social dance club at UH offers FREE dance lessons every Sunday. Even if you don't own a pair of boots, you can take lessons every Sunday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Cougar Den Annex in the UC Underground.

LADY COOGS DOWN RICE 71-51

by Chris Peña

The Lady Cougars basketball team obviously showed it didn’t give a hoot as it blew away the Rice Owls with a 71-51 Southwest Conference victory Saturday night at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Antoinette Isaac led Houston (7-10, 2-5 SWC) with a career-high 21 points, 10 rebounds and eight steals, pushing the team to its first conference win since Jan. 22.

Houston forced the Owls to shoot only 27 percent from the floor, and they played with a passion that head coach Jessie Kenlaw could not stop talking about after the game. "This was a great win for us," she said. "This is the confidence-builder we needed."

Earlier this week, Kenlaw said she believed a win over the Cougars' fierce rival would be the victory her team could look back on late in the season as the one that turned everything around.

"This is definitely the turning point for us," she said after the game. "It was a big win and it's the kind of win I knew we could get. This definitely puts us back in the (conference) picture."

Houston jumped out to an 18-6 lead after nine minutes and never looked back.

Rice (10-9, 2-5) never led and played catch-up ball all night as they suffered their second loss in a row.

The debacle left first-year Rice head coach Cristy McKinney speechless. She left Hofheinz without speaking to the media.

The victory gave Houston a 32-2 series edge with Rice and gives the team bragging rights for the first half of the season.

Houston hosts Texas Christian Wednesday in Hofheinz Pavilion.