LEVELLERS FLATTEN YOU ON NEW RECORD

by Tom Turner

Celebrated as one of the most popular bands in Britain, the Levellers have just finished the band's long-awaited second release.

With this new release, the band produces a sound that has mixes of several other musicians with a definitive twist of their own.

One of the more interesting descriptions is that the band is a mix of "blistering energy, quirky folk instruments and a ferocious, pissed-off, spiritual power," which for the most part, as strange as it may sound, is pretty valid.

Through the band's mixes of pop, folk and driving guitars, the five-member band is able to bring out messages of anger, corruption and dreams that somehow slip out of reach. The group's lyrics contain thought and meaning, which the members are able to back up with a truly original sound, including violin, bagpipes and horns.

The group has been together since 1988 and has several EPs and albums. This self-titled album contains 10 tracks, several of which are very powerful, including "Warning," "100 Years of Solitude," "The Likes of You and I" and "Julie."

This is the Levellers' second release under the Elektra label and the group is said to be heading for the United States soon for a lengthy tour.

This is a fairly solid release from the Levellers, and this critic would recommend it to anyone who digs a truly original-sounding, pop-rock feel, with some thought-inspired lyrics.

The Levellers aren't for everyone, but after listening to them a few times, they leave a favorable impression overall.

*******************************************************

CLINTON HEADLINES GALA

President Bill Clinton fanned a slew of anti-Republican sentiments and made the case for his administration at a downtown fund-raiser Sunday.

Clinton, who lists among his first-year accomplishments the passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement, delivered remarks to a throng of supporters assembled at the Wortham Center.

"This man has had the strongest, most major program I have seen in the presidency since Lyndon Johnson," said Secretary of the Treasury Lloyd Bentsen.

Democrats raised about $2 million for their campaign fund. About 1,000 people attended the Democratic National Committee fund-raiser. Some couples paid $1,000 while others paid $10,000 to attend the fete.

"I think I probably owe you most for Lloyd Bentsen and Henry Cisneros," he said, noting the expediency with which Cisneros, former mayor of San Antonio and now secretary of Housing and Urban Development, responded to the Los Angeles earthquake, which seismologists now estimate measured 6.8 on the Richter scale.

"When I became president, people had pretty much given up on government to do anything right," Clinton said.

He also mentioned the deficit, which Clinton projected would be 40 percent lower next year than initially estimated before his inauguration. Interest rates and the rate of inflation spiralled downward, and car and home sales rose significantly, he said.

The Clinton administration, he said, accounted for "more new jobs in one year than we had in the previous four years." He tried to quiet skeptics who claim the health care plan does not include provisions for private health care and private insurance.

He said about 100,000 Americans lose health care each month, and that 10 cents on every dollar is spent on paperwork, insurance premiums and the cost to maintain bureaucracy.

He also laid claim to the greatest increase in entrepreneurial investments in history.

Occasionally pummeling the podium to emphasize a point, Clinton reiterated several statements made during his State of the Union address. He focused on the passage of the Family Leave Act, which includes clauses drafted to facilitate caretaking for sick parents and children.

Much of Clinton's speech, directed to Texas Democrats, focused on how his initiatives could potentially help Texans reap the benefits of such programs as NAFTA and the NASA space station.

Although Clinton failed to carry Texas during the presidential election, losing that highly coveted block of votes to former President George Bush, "Some think I might not carry it again. But I'll tell you one thing, when the space station was going down, we fought for it. And we lifted it up and saved it. We now have a product that is at the core of our partnership with Russia and a hope for a better world."

Clinton criticized his Republican predecessors, often reiterating the statement, "It wasn't just the other party's rhetoric; it was our reality.

"After seven years of flailing around, we've finally got the Brady Bill," he said. He ridiculed Republicans, saying they tend to be too possessive of issues, that Democrats have not stolen their themes, and that Republicans are not the only people concerned about fiscal responsibility.

Flanked by Bentsen, Mayor Bob and Elyse Lanier, and David Wilhelm, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, Clinton also discussed his relative success with streamlining: About 100 programs have been cut, with another 300 on the block. The budget for fiscal year 1995 is $1.5 trillion.

"This administration is not just talking about Texas ... we're helping this state move into the 21st century," he said. He implored Democrats to keep seats in Congress, help Gov. Ann Richards get re-elected and continue the partnership with the White House.

PROTESTORS MAR CLINTON'S VISIT

Everything from fetus carrying pro-lifers to masked anarchists yelled slogans like "Kill the high rollers" as Houston's most elite democrats ducked into the Wortham Theatre to hear President Bill Clinton introduce his 1995 budget.

While people inside dined for prices ranging from $1,000 — $10,000, outside pro-lifers and war veterans competed to have the shouted complaints heard.

Vietnam and Korean War veterans, who are against Clinton's decisions to lift embargoes that have been in place since the Vietnam War ended in 1972, yelled "sleep now while our men are being tortured in Vietnam, you scum."

Juan Garcia, a Korean war veteran, said Clinton was being "oil hungry" when he decided to lift the embargoes. Garcia said the Vietnamese government is more likely to keep holding missing in action soldiers if they don't have to answer to the U.S. government.

Right-to-life groups lined the periphery of the demonstration waving placards with pictures of dead babies.

Military men who are against gays in the military stood alongside the anti-abortionists holding signs that said "Sodomy reaps death" and "AIDS is a judgement of god."

But while some groups stood firmly against Clinton, many were there to register a complaint to a president they still supported.

In response to the homophobic crowds, G.I. Josephine, a drag queen dressed in USO attire came to tell the crowds that the "don't ask, don't tell" plan for gays in the military did not solve the problem.

"I did vote him in and I think he is the best president since Jimmy Carter, but he needs to lift the ban," she said.

Protestor and UH Professor of English, Maria Gonzalez said she still supports Clinton even though he acted like the "king of cop out" in dealing with the gays in the military issue.

Gonzalez added that she would like to see more "direct response" to AIDS.

"He is not dealing with it like a life or death situation," she said.

Vietnamese groups were also protesting Clinton's decisions to lift embargoes against Vietnam.

"I still support Clinton, but he should not have lifted embargoes until Vietnam is free from communism," said Lynn Ngo, an independent protestor.

The Ethiopian Community Association also came out to protest Clinton's financial support of a "Marxist regime in Ethiopia" that they say "promotes ethnic and religious conflicts, resulting in many deaths."

While every group had a plan to be heard by the president, Clinton never saw any of the protestors. The president was shuttled in through the side of the building, while protestors crowded around the front. Gala attendees and some local politicians were the only ones who weathered the storm.

RELIGIONS CONVERGE ON A.D. BRUCE

by Mark Sobhani

"A Buffet of Faith: Nine Faiths Interface" is the theme for Religious Awareness Week, sponsored by the Campus Ministries Association.

Religions including Baha'i, Buddhism, Christian Science, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Latter Day Saints (Mormons), Protestantism and Roman Catholicism will share views of their deities, the relationship of deity to humanity and the nature of the afterlife.

Today through Thursday, Campus Ministries will be hosting a series of panel discussions dealing with these topics.

The Rev. Hugh Sanborn, chair of the Religious Awareness Committee, explained why the topics were chosen. "To understand the basics of any religion, one needs to understand how that religion approaches the ultimate dimension, and how humanity is related to that reality."

The panel discussions include representatives from each religious group, who give a two-minute presentation on the day's topic.

The main emphasis, though, is the question-and-answer period afterward, Sanborn said.

Religious Awareness Week helps students grapple with the issues of religion, Sanborn said.

A luncheon and discussions are scheduled from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. today through Thursday in the A.D. Bruce Religion Center, upstairs lounge.

Religious Awareness Week began 10 years ago. Since then, the nature of the program has changed. Each year Campus Ministries forms a committee to organize a presentation format for the week, Sanborn said.

Programs from previous years included films, vocational topics and group discussions dealing with issues in ethics.

SHIELD FALTERS

by Meagan McGovern

The Discovery astronauts encountered difficulties with the navigational system aboard the Wake Shield Facility, the satellite developed by UH researchers, forcing NASA's mission control to cancel the deployment of the satellite and use a back-up plan to gain what scientific information was available.

Instead of releasing the 12-foot, saucer-shaped disk into orbit, the project remained attached to the shuttle by its 50-foot robot arm throughout the mission. The Wake Shield is part of an experiment to determine whether the vacuum of space can be used to produce contaminant-free semiconductors for computers.

Although UH researchers have said they are disappointed, the equipment failure is not part of the project designed by UH researchers, and plans are already being made to correct the problem before the next shuttle mission.

UH researchers were able to grow several thin films, but said the vacuum they achieved, with the experiment attached to the shuttle, was only about as good as that attainable on Earth.

The UH project is scheduled to go up on the shuttle four more times.

FOOD AND FISTS FLY

by Michica N Guillory

Food-fighting, missing money and a menacing man dominate last week's UH police crime bulletins.

A woman reported Sunday that a customer threw food on her in the Burger King on 2901 Cullen at 1 p.m.

Also reported, university funds were taken from an office in the Fouke Building next to Melcher Gym after office hours Thursday.

Finally, a woman reported being harassed by someone she knows in parking lot 12A near Cougar Place Tuesday from 11:40 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.

Details about these cases are unavailable until the completion of UHPD's investigations, UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

CHILD ADVOCATES HELPS NEGLECTED KID

UH grad student

defends children

in family courts

A child screams in pain – emotional pain, physical pain. This pain is from neglect or abandonment. No matter what kind of pain it is, it is pain all the same, and each child who knows pain knows suffering. No matter how many people are in their family, they feel alone.

In an attempt to help end this loneliness, Child Advocates was founded in Harris County in 1984. Child Advocates, a private, nonprofit organization, has provided Court Appointed Special Advocate volunteers to work with abused and neglected children.

CASA is located in over 500 cities. There are 28,000 volunteers who each represent one or two children in court.

Betsi Sanchez, a sociology graduate student, is a supervisor of volunteers and the in-house sexual abuse consultant at Child Advocates. She has worked at Child Advocates since November '92, and she worked at Child Protective Services for over four years in the sexual abuse investigative unit.

"I had worked with Child Advocates through CPS and I wanted to do something else in the field of sexual abuse," Sanchez said.

Sanchez said CPS case workers often handle cases for 80 children and cannot give special attention to each child. Most case workers are not trained in sexual abuse cases and often are unable to help sexually abused children.

"We are here to make sure children don't fall in between the cracks," Sanchez said.

There are 15 supervisors at Child Advocates with over 200 active volunteers, most of whom are people with full-time jobs or who attend school full-time. Some are mothers, but they all come from different backgrounds and are a diverse group of people.

"I had done some therapy work and I wanted to be more involved in the decision-making process," said Carrie Fried, Child Advocates volunteer.

Volunteers are required to meet with the child 10 to 15 hours a month after they have undergone 30 hours of training which spans a two-week period. Training classes are offered four times a year. Before training, volunteers must attend an orientation to discover if they want to become involved with the program.

During this orientation, they view a 10-minute movie titled <I>One Child at a Time<P>. It is narrated by actor Tom Skerrit and gives the philosophy of the national CASA program, which is that they can speak for one child at a time. The movie also includes child abuse statistics. For example, 1095 children die of abuse every year.

Volunteers must undergo a criminal check and screening interview, and they must have references. After they have completed all of the training, which also includes role playing, they are taken to juvenile court and sworn in by a judge.

"We want to make sure the volunteers know what they are getting into," Sanchez said.

Volunteers are asked to make a one-year commitment to try to finish the child’s case. However, this is not always possible since some cases last for several years.

"The child may go through two or three caseworkers, but the advocate is going to be there," Sanchez said.

Volunteers must remain objective and be dedicated to the idea that all children have basic rights. They must also be willing to cooperate with others in the judicial system.

Fried said she feels judges pay attention to the observations of Child Advocates since they are a neutral voice.

"There is the frustration of dealing with the system that is far from perfect," Fried said.

Sanchez said sometimes the volunteers feel there are still problems with the case, but CPS wants to close the case because they are looking at the case in terms of money. Sometimes the kids come back into the system.

"We help kids through the system faster," Sanchez said. "We save millions of dollars for Texas because we make sure kids don't languish in foster care."

Children usually spend two years in a foster home. However, when CASA is involved, they spend about 13 months in foster homes.

The '94 budget for Child Advocates is $1.7 million. This money is spent on supervision of volunteers, providing direct services for the children and operating costs.

The money is collected through donations by businesses and people in the community. Child Advocates also holds fund-raisers. The next fund-raiser is scheduled for the Houston Children's Festival, from March 18-20. The festival will have rides and entertainment and features Dinamation, life-size dinosaurs that move mechanically.

However, Child Advocates still needs help financially and they need volunteers. Minority and bilingual volunteers are especially necessary.

"These kids need some positive role models," Sanchez said.

The next volunteer orientation is in March and training begins in April. They also need a graphics artist to donate services, computer equipment and supplies. Child Advocates is located near Richmond at 2515 Main, Suite 300, and can be contacted at 529-1396.

LIBRARY SPENDING FEES ON BOOKS, TECHNOLOGY

by James Aldridge

The turnstiles of M.D. Anderson are once again turning with the start of the new semester.

The library fees are expected to go a long way toward realizing the improvements students have been asking for. A common grievance among students is that the library's resource material is too general or outdated.

"I don't think they have extensive information for concentrated subjects," Madhavi Atur, a sophomore business major, said.

Library Director Robin Downes said the $15 library fee charged on students' fee bills is used "primarily for book funds and to a lesser extent electronic information," he said. Also, $400,000—$500,000 has been spent for new books. Downes said the library is continually improving. Their six-year plan outlines the changes intended for the library, such as the extended implementation electronic databases.

The new trend for the library is having "electronic information compliment standard printed material," Downes said.

An electronic database network installed last summer is one facet of the improvements plan. In the Electronic Publishing Center (EPC) located on the first floor of the library, students can obtain supplemental information on subjects not found in paper indexes. Currently, more than 40 separate databases are available ranging from aerospace engineering to zoology. Each database has its own particular subject area, variously providing citations, abstracts, text retrieval or combinations of all three.

"The resources are pretty good. There's a variety of places to find information such as the on-line catalog and the CD-ROM (databases)," said graduate fine arts student Carla Punch .

This summer, the old on-line catalog will be replaced – pending administrative approval.

Students most often have problems finding which database is most useful. Other times there may not be enough EPC personnel to assist every student with their questions.

"The majority of the students I see are unsure how to begin their research because they haven't been taught how to properly use a library," said Sara Buntyn, who has worked the Reference-Information Desk for five years.

UH'S WILD THING MORE IN CONTROL

Beech learns better pitching could mean a higher salary in pros

The University of Houston baseball team has its own version of the Wild Thing. Only this year he hopes to be known as the Control Thing.

Last season Matt Beech earned a 4-5 record and 5.23 ERA and led the team in strikeouts with 73. He also racked up 67 walks in 75.2 innings.

The left-handed pitcher comes into this season as the ace of the staff.

He worked on his control during the off-season with head coach Bragg Stockton.

When looking at his mechanics, he and Stockton decided to work on keeping the delivery consistent and trying to keep his pitches around the knees.

Now Beech feels ready for his senior year, a year that might not have happened.

Last year he was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the 24th round of the amateur draft. Instead of taking the money, Beech decided to finish school.

"I'd like to get a degree from the University of Houston and I feel that I can do as well or better in the draft than I did last year," he said.

As the anchor of the Cougar pitching staff, Beech said he feels that they need to redeem themselves from last season's performance.

Last year the staff was hurt by injury when they lost their top two starters, Wade Williams and Jeff Wright.

"We've got a lot to prove this year, especially as a pitching staff. We didn't have a good showing last year at all," said Beech.

Last year was a spotty season for Beech. Against Rice he walked 12, struck out 12 and hit five. This outing typified his season.

Catcher Mike Hatch has caught Beech for two years now and has seen drastic improvement.

Hatch said the biggest change has been the addition of a change-up. Last season Beech stuck to the fastball.

"He's got a great change-up. He's coming over from the top a little bit more," Hatch said. "He's staying within himself. He's focused now. I think he's going to have one of the best years of his life."

Beech came to Houston from Navarro Junior College and said the experience there helped prepare him for the move up.

"In high school I was young and wild, wilder than I am now," Beech said. "Two years of Navarro Junior College, working there (and) getting a lot experience, helped me be able to come and pitch in Division I," he said.

He said there were many reasons why he chose to transfer to Houston. Coming from San Antonio, it was fairly close to home. Coach Stockton played an important part of that decision as well.

The Cougar philosophy does not include a specified pitching coach on the team. Instead Stockton supervises the pitchers himself. Beech found this a plus.

"He is the pitching coach, so you know you're not going to come in here and just be overlooked by some pitching coach who doesn't like your stuff," Beech said.

So for the last three seasons he has prepared.

Now he is ready. Ready to prove to the world that not only can he compete in Division I-A, but that he can win and pitch consistently.

Stockton says that Beech can pitch in the big leagues if he can learn control and become a "student of pitching."

So far this season he has one win in one start. He pitched the season opener against Texas Lutheran with a four-inning effort in which he struck out three, walked two and gave up only one hit.

Stockton said that one more year of college ball will help Beech's chances of making it all the way to the pros. He is glad to have his starter back for his senior year.

But Stockton added that there is only one thought for Matt to remember when he wants to throw a fastball instead of an off-speed pitch.

"Less is more."

COUGAR BASEBALL FORCED TO HIT THE ROAD DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Houston Cougar head baseball coach Bragg Stockton was seated at his desk last week, dialing phone numbers and hoping to find an unoccupied baseball field for the weekend of April 22 and 23.

He talked to Texas A&M coach Mark Johnson and Blinn Junior College coach Kyle Vanhook about the possibility of using their fields.

Houston will play the three-game Southwest Conference series against Texas Christian, originally scheduled for Cougar Field, at Texas A&M's Olsen Field.

Construction on UH’s new baseball stadium, part of the $26 million athletic facility, will make the existing field unusable after April 1.

Houston had to reschedule its last eight home games at neutral sites. Stockton rescheduled games against Shriner, UT-Pan American and East Texas Baptist to be played at Rice's Cameron Field.

Stockton said he did not want to play the TCU series in Fort Worth.

"I don't want to go through that again," he said. "It cost us a regional bid in 1991."

Floods in Houston forced the Cougars to play the TCU series in Fort Worth that year. The Horned Frogs swept all three games from Houston and knocked Houston out of contention for the SWC postseason tournament.

The scheduling difficulties are reminiscent of the Houston Astros' 26-game road odyssey during August of 1992, which made way for the Republican National Convention in the Astrodome.

Stockton said the additional road games will give the Cougars valuable road experience and prepare the team for its goal of reaching the SWC tournament, which will be held in College Station this year.

"You have to mentally adjust, get used to playing on the road," Stockton said. "You have to get mentally tough. If you can do that, the experience helps in the playoffs."

The construction poses other problems for the team. Simply walking to the stadium requires wading through mud or walking twice as far to avoid the construction site.

"It's a real treat getting to the field," Stockton said.

It is tougher for the seniors to accept.

"It's hard for us," catcher Mike Hatch said. "We have to compromise now for something that won't be here till we're gone."

The rest of the team should be able to tolerate the inconvenience because of the promise of the new stadium, designed as a scaled-down version of Baltimore's Camden Yards and The Ballpark at Arlington, which will be full of conveniences for both fans and players.

The seating capacity of 5,000 will include 3,000 covered seats, with additional seating available on grassy hills surrounding the stadium. There will also be improved restroom and concession facilities.

The Cougars will be able to play games after dark thanks to new permanent light standards. The lights will meet AAA minor league and ESPN lighting requirements.

The lights will give Houston the ability to schedule night games and later, doubleheader starting times.

Other features of the new stadium will include: an elevator-accessible enclosed media booth, two broadcast booths, team clubhouses and locker rooms located within the stadium, and umpire dressing rooms.

Stockton said the new facility should draw larger crowds as well as make recruiting players easier.

"We want to make it a showcase for baseball in this area of the state," he said, adding that the facility will also be made available for high school tournaments. "More and more calls will come in to use this facility."

RICE VICTORY INSPIRES COUGARS

Maw of SWC cellar could loosen grip with win over TCU

by Adam King and

Jason Paul Ramirez

During the Cougars' 13-game losing streak, senior guard Anthony Goldwire said that all it would take for Houston to get going was one victory.

"Then we would know how to win," Goldwire added. That was after Houston dropped a 67-60 decision to Texas A&M at Hofheinz Pavilion Jan. 19.

Now that the Cougars (3-15, 1-6 SWC) have that one win following their 69-67 upset over the Rice Owls last Saturday, the Cougars can see to it tonight that Goldwire's words hold true.

Houston enters Daniel-Meyer Coliseum to face Texas Christian (5-13, 2-5) at 7:30 p.m., and coach Alvin Brooks has finally found a game to look forward to.

"(TCU) is going to be a challenge for us," he said. "The Rice game was a carry-over from the UT-San Antonio game. We had our best practice of the season Friday night."

Houston took the Roadrunners to overtime before losing 85-83. It was a loss Brooks found hard to handle but took pride in seeing his team resurrect itself.

"I felt like we had turned the corner against UTSA. We played to win the game," Brooks said. "We stepped it up another notch in the Rice game."

Now the Cougars' mission is to get themselves out of the Southwest Conference cellar and obtain a higher seeding before entering the Dr Pepper SWC Postseason Classic. Winning the Dallas tourney is the only way the Cougars can get into the NCAA Tournament at this point.

"(The season) takes on a whole different meaning from here," said forward Jessie Drain. "What's past is past. Our main goal now is to try and stay above .500 (over the season's remaining eight games)."

A victory over TCU and its taunting center Kurt Thomas will give the Cougars a one-game edge over Southern Methodist, who shares the league bottom with Houston.

Thomas leads the SWC in scoring with 21.6 points per game and in riling opposing team's fans. He also pulls down 10.3 rebounds, second in the league.

"He's going to get his 20 or 30 points," Brooks said of Thomas, who scored 31 points in an 87-76 win at UH Jan. 12. "We've got to do a lot better job than last time in stopping those (other) guys."

Houston forced 31 turnovers in that game but converted few of them.

"The last time they came to Houston, we had been off 7-10 days," Brooks said. "They caught us at the right time."

"We were fortunate the first time because we shot the ball well," said TCU coach Moe Iba.

The Cougars, having faced offensive problems in nearly every game this year, are relying on their defensive intensity to pull them through. Brooks has switched from a full-court to a half-court press.

Houston must also contend with injuries to starters Rafael Carasco with a sprained thumb and Tyrone Evans' sprained ankle. Angel Sanz, with bruised ribs, is the only one who didn't play Saturday.

WOMEN'S TRACK PLACES 4TH AT LSU

The Houston men's and women's track teams were in Baton Rouge last Saturday to compete in Louisiana State's Purple Tiger Classic Part II.

The women's team came in fourth overall with several strong individual performances.

Starlie Graves and Dawn Burrell finished fourth and fifth, respectively, in the long jump. Burrell also finished third in the 55-meter hurdles.

Cynthia Jackson placed second in the 400-meter dash in a time of 55.12 seconds.

The 4x400 relay team came in third at 3:44.29 and the distance medley relay team finished second with a time of 12:25.07.

The men's team finished in a tie with Mississippi for seventh place.

Ubeja Anderson won the 55-meter hurdles in 7.29 seconds. Robert Christian placed fourth in the high jump and the DMR team ran the course in 10:23.00 to finish fourth.

The men's track team was without star Sam Jefferson, who was in New York this weekend running in Madison Square Garden at the Millrose Games.

He came in sixth in the 60-meter dash in 6.83 seconds, competing against some of the premier runners in the nation, including former UH standout Leroy Burrell, who finished third.

Burrell's time of 6.58 seconds was only 3/100 of a second off winner Henry Neal, a former sprinter from Texas Southern, who resides in Houston.

There were four provisional qualifiers for the NCAA Championships this Saturday. They include Cynthia Jackson and De'Angelia Johnson in the 400, Ubeja Anderson in the 55-meter hurdles and the women's 4x400 relay team of Drexel Long, Johnson, Graves and Jackson.

This Friday and Saturday, the track team visits Oklahoma University to compete in its final meet before the Southwest Conference Indoor Championships.

The SWC meet will be held in Fort Worth Feb. 18-19.

<B>Frogs better in water<P>

The Cougar swim team hosted two meets this weekend as it competed against conference foes Southern Methodist and Texas Christian.

They lost both meets, losing to SMU 179-120 but had a good showing against TCU 152.5-145.5. Houston's top 200-meter backstroker, Maria Rivera, did not swim in the TCU meet due to a pulled bicep muscle.

Against SMU there were first-place Cougar finishes in the 400-meter medley relay, 100 backstroke (Ashley Hinson, 1:01.31) and the 200 butterfly (Mariah Cade, 2:11.26).

Against TCU the Cougars had several first place finishes. Alexandra Heyns took first in the 200 freestyle (1:53.74), 100 freestyle (53.21) and 500 freestyle (5:09.87).

Nicola Clegg was tops in the 100 breaststroke (1:09.22) and 200 breaststroke (2:27.38). Kristen de la Torre took the 50 freestyle (24.58). Also in first was Olivia Clark in 3-meter diving (289.65) and the 4000-meter relay team (3:37.79).

The Cougars' next meet is at Rice Friday.

DIAMOND ANTICS CURE FOR BASEBALL APATHY

Houston regrouped at a closed practice Monday after an unexpected 11-0 loss to Texas Wesleyan Sunday afternoon.

The team travels to Nacogdoches for a 1 p.m. doubleheader against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks today.

After practice, the players appeared loose as they joked and drenched each other in water fights.

The players said they know what problems they need to work on and they're confident the loss to the Rams was only a slight mishap.

"We're trying to find ourselves right now," senior pitcher Matt Beech said. "We need to start working harder like we did today."

Head coach Bragg Stockton said he believes his team did not come out inspired Sunday.

"This is a team that cannot be mentally or emotionally flat. If we show up apathetic, we're going to get beat. If we come out prepared, we can win every game," he said.

"We're trying to send the message that you don't practice, go to class or live life with an apathetic attitude."

The Cougars played inspired ball Saturday as they shut out Texas Lutheran 3-0 and 4-0 at both ends of a doubleheader.

The good start of the season for the pitching staff came to an abrupt halt as Houston sent nine different arms to the mound in Sunday's blowout.

Stockton has set a 65-pitch limit for his starters. The pitch count and number of innings pitched will grow as the season progresses, he said.

"As conference approaches, we'll see if anybody can go seven (innings) and then nine," Stockton said. "I'm not sure if we have anybody that can go nine. Yesterday, we couldn't get anybody to go one."

Stockton said the pitchers' problems against Texas Wesleyan resulted from not throwing their breaking pitches for strikes and getting the balls up in the strike zone, where the pitch is easier to hit.

Brad Towns will get his inaugural start for Houston in the first game of today's twin bill. David Hamilton, who threw less than 40 pitches in one inning of work Sunday, will start the second game.

Ricky Freeman and Shane Buteaux carried the Cougar offense in the first two games of the season.

Both senior outfielders are hitting .400 so far. They hit back-to-back home runs Saturday in the fourth inning of the second game against Lutheran. Freeman hit his first homer of the season in the first game.

The rest of the team is hitting a combined .129, a statistic skewed because of Sunday's four-hitter. But Freeman and Buteaux have led the offense so far this season.

"We'll have to build around them," Stockton said. "(J.J.) Matzke should come around, but after that I don't know."

Stockton said he is looking for Towns and Billy Waid to start hitting the ball. Both players took the collar for the weekend.

Stephan Breeding may be tried at the leadoff spot to add speed to the top of the order.

"He can really fly," Stockton said.

MORE PICKS

Tours galore make nights fun

by Tom Turner

When was the last time you went to a show and left realizing that the only thing you could think about afterwards was the music or the show itself?

Have you ever left a club thinking that you just witnessed the next big – fill in the blank here – ?

Well, with some of the acts that will be gracing the stages locally, this just may be the case.

On Friday, over at The Fabulous Satellite Lounge, at 3616 Washington, Austin's Little Sister will be bringing the house down. This band brings its rockin', funk, blues mix for a CD release bonanza. Opening up for the group will be Beat Temple. A good place to go for a great night of music.

On the 18th of this month down at the Bayou City Theatre, on Richmond, Concrete Blonde will once again make its way through town. This three-piece will definitely fill up the place with their own style of original rock. The band's special guest for the evening will be Oblivious. Sorry, I don't know too much about them, but from what I've heard it should be a great show.

If you want a night of fabulous original music, be at the Shimmy Shack, at 4216 Washington, on the 19th.

Jawbox will be bringing the walls down with the crew's solid style of music – powerful driving guitars and one of the better rhythm sections in an up-and-coming band. Jawbox just signed with Atlantic records and have their new album, titled <I>For Your Own Special Sweetheart<P>, on the shelves of your favorite music store now. A night not to miss!

On the same night over at The Abyss, 5913 Washington, will be Zoo recording artists Course of Empire, hosting a CD release party. Hailing from the Dallas area, the band is promoting its latest release, <I>Initiation<P>. Don't pass these guys off as "just another metal band" because that's not what they're about. They've got some talent and they're worth a listen. Also on the bill will be Hagfish and Quoting Red.

Also at the Bayou City Theatre on Feb. 21 – guitar great Robert Cray. A must see for those who are into an evening of some of the best blues around. This is sure to be a night not soon forgotten by Cray fans and blues lovers alike.

Rounding out the month of February will be The Juliana Hatfield Three over at the Shimmy Shack on the 26th. After the trio's success right after its last release, the group is continuing their climb up the music ladder. Opening up for them will be Yo La Tengo.

Another show not to miss happens 6th of March at the Shimmy Shack, when Tilt busts into town. This one is a solid, take it or leave it, in your face original band. Tilt's sound is full, aggressive and singular, a concept many "alternative" groups lose sight of.

There's more. Also on the bill for the night is ex-Lookout, now Warner Brothers recording artist Green Day, who will bring the band's pop-punk sound to town to promote their latest release, <I>Dookie<P>.

Now, obviously, other shows may pique your interest more than these, but if you have nothing to do or just want to hear some great new music check these out.

Some of the best bands of tomorrow might be right under your nose, so you can be one of the cool kids and say you saw them back when.

EXHIBIT REDEFINES LATIN LIFE AND CULTURE

by Lori Ball

In an attempt to redefine traditional Latin American art, Julio Galan reveals a group of recent works at the Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston.

This is Galan's first solo museum exhibition in the United States. The exhibition was specifically selected to aid the spectator's understanding of the artist's work and to reveal the artist's recurring themes.

It includes a group of nine paintings and works on paper that Galan has made since 1988.

Julio Galan, who lives and works in Monterey, Mexico, is among a group of artists who are associated with the neo-Mexicanismo movement, which questions traditional Mexican culture. In his paintings, Galan reveals his experiences while growing up as a homosexual in Mexico.

Galan introduces his exhibit with a oil painting titled, "Boy Showing Off What He Holds in His Mouth" (1993). The painting is the head of a boy painted in black and white (probably Galan himself). He is sticking out his tongue, pierced with a large white pearl stud. The boy seems to be mimicking the viewer and inviting him into the exhibit. His expression denotes a look of sensuality and romance. The black and white colors symbolize lost love to Galan, and the unisexual look of the boy reveals gender anxiety.

One very powerful piece was a collage titled, <I>The Wales Hotel<P>. A picture of a crying baby with red bloody lips is in the center of the collage. Many other babies can be seen throughout. The artist might have been alluding to a childhood filled with unspeakable terrors. There are pictures of various sexual acts being acted out, reflecting Galan's homosexuality. A ribbon of red ties the collage together. It defines the homo-erotic dimension as extremely painful and sensual.

Another revealing piece was <I>One Week<P>. The artist painted one panel each day for a week. One panel shows a picture of a nude man on a zebra skin rug. Another panel was a blurry representation of geometric objects representing Galan's confusion. The rest of the panel dealt heavily with the dimension of gender anxiety. In those Galan seems to blame his homosexuality on his family. He also expresses that he constantly received conflicting messages for accepted gender roles.

<I>Bones of Love<P> was a very sad piece. This oil depicts what appears to be two very large cross sections of bones. Galan himself is trapped inside the bottom bone with the image of another man in the background. In the center of the painting are the heads of two stuffed animals – one a wolf, the other a lamb – from Galan's childhood. The wolf is eating the lamb. The painting may allude to the pain of a lost love.

The painting <I>Una Pistola de Mentiras<P> shows Galan's head in the middle of a sea with a large, abstract pistol superimposed over it. Several gem-studded goblets filled with blood circle around the image. Galan seems to be caught up in the middle of a chaotic sea of sensuality. The goblets represent other lovers in his life that share his sensual lifestyle.

A highly symbolic piece was entitled <I>Back to Life<P>. The painting shows Galan dressed in drag at the top and a destroyed Christmas box and candy cane at the bottom. Galan might have been referring to a personal moment of anxiety or revelation when he realized he was homosexual.

Galan's paintings certainly redefine traditional Latin American art. Art patrons may not be ready to accept his approach. Much of Galan's art and symbolism is helpful in understanding the emotional pain and sensuality of his life.

This exhibition was organized by the Contemporary Arts Museum, curated by the museum's Head Curator Peter Doroshenko.

<I>Julio Galan<P>

Where: Contemporary Arts Museum at 5216 Montrose.

When: until March 6.

Telephone: 526—3129

Cost: Free