CORRECTION

In Wednesday's paper an article said a Students' Asociation bill asks for student service fees to be cut over a two year period if the graduation rate for athletes does not rise. The bill actually states that funds will be withdrawn after two years of low graduation rates.

Speaker of the Senate Coy Wheeler was quoted in reference to a SA bill.

*******************************************************

REPORT INFLAMES ATHLETICS DISPUTE

by Tiffany Vaughner

Even though the debate over whether to abolish athletic programs is more than a year old, faculty and administrators are still at odds.

At the first Faculty Senate meeting for the spring semester, the budget committee released its annual report with fact sheets that listed expenditures for the UH Athletic Department. The first sheet listed total spending (except revenue and expenditures from restricted gifts and endowments) and the Moores' endowment for fiscal years 1988—89 through 1992—93. The second sheet focused on fiscal year 1991—92, which was based on end-of-year figures from the UH administration.

Judy Myers, budget committee chair, said the report was not compiled to support any set of opinions, but as a tool interested parties could use when asking questions and making decisions.

"Different people will look at the report in different ways. It was not compiled to support any particular position," Myers said.

Paul Raffoul, an assistant professor in the Graduate School of Social Work, said, "I don't think (the Athletic Department) should cost us money. I think it should be self-supporting."

When asked where the money not spent on athletics should go, Raffoul said he thought it should be re-routed back into the system, particularly M.D. Anderson Library.

Ian Evans, associate professor of geosciences, said he agreed that athletics should be self-supporting, but that faculty should also be more active in raising graduation rates for student athletes.

Biology Professor David Mailman agreed with a self-supported Athletic Department and said unused money could go to small grants for faculty.

Although most senators agreed that athletics should be abolished, some did not.

Michael Gorman, associate professor of physics, said he thought the abolition of athletics was a "drastic step" and voted last semester to keep athletics.

"They don't have to be self-supportive, but if losses in the department continue, they should be," Gorman said.

Senate President Ernst Leiss said, "In a time of constraints, can this university, or any university for that matter, afford to keep pouring money into a program that has shown such significant losses?"

Leiss said the two main criticisms the Senate has with the department are the low graduation rates of student athletes and the financial drain it places on university resources.

Leiss also said the disappearance of athletics would not necessarily bring more money into the university right away. He said the approximately $2 million a year would be quickly absorbed back into the system to continue paying scholarships and to pay for services that had been neglected. Leiss said it would take several years to show any surplus.

Director of Athletics Bill Carr said he understood the misgivings of faculty and tried to assure them that everything that could be done was being done to solve the problem. He said the department is starting with "an improved budget system that will help control revenues and spending."

Carr added, "It is our goal to be as close to self-supporting as possible, but it's difficult to do that because some sports don't generate revenue."

COUNCIL PONDERS CURRENT TOPICS

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods and Eimen Ung

At the first meeting of the Undergraduate Council this semester, members discussed issues that will have positive and negative effects on UH students.

One of the prominent issues was UH’s first voice-mail Add/Drop system, V.I.P. Mario Lucchesi, director of Registration and Academic Records, said the system was a huge success.

Lucchesi reported that more than 25,000 students used the system, and 15,000 were able to add and drop classes during Priority Add/Drop in December.

Lucchesi said he received positive feedback from students about the system. Students said it was a quick, efficient way to add and drop, and many will be happy to use the system again.

With V.I.P.'s 96 phone lines, Lucchesi reported no complaints from students about busy lines. The only complaint from students was having to call the system at scheduled times.

The V.I.P. system promises to totally do away with the batch (paperwork) registration and Add/Drop system.

Lucchesi plans to implement the system for 1994 summer and fall semester registration.

It means good news for UH professors, who will no longer have to sit in the Houston Room all day for Regular Add/Drop.

Undergraduate Council members were tremendously pleased with the success of the system.

Rosalie Maddocks, a geosciences professor, said, "I'm delighted to hear it is working and it's great we're getting there at last."

Undergraduate Council Chairman Sam Quintero, an associate professor of optometry, said, "It's great. It's something we needed to have. It will improve the entire registration process."

Lawrence Curry, associate dean of HFAC and a history professor, said, "We're finally where we ought to be."

The council also discussed several classes that will be cancelled or that will no longer be offered as core credit courses.

Joanna Friesen, chairwoman of the Core and Degree Requirements committee and professor of health and human performance, reported that PSYC 2385, SOC 3362, ECON 4379 and PHAR 2362 will continue to be taught but, because they were not reviewed, students can no longer receive core credit for them.

The council also approved the decision to drop geography as a minor. Originally, there were two professors teaching geography as a team. However, one of the professors died and the remaining professor could not maintain the workload of two people.

Friesen said the budget does not allow for hiring a new professor.

The discontinued geography courses, Friesen said, were not offered frequently enough for a significant number of students to miss.

Sara Lee, associate director of Academic Advising, brought another serious issue to the attention of the council.

Lee spoke to the council about a new TASP remediation requirement. Students scoring above 220 on the TASP test are regarded as having passed; however, students who score between 220 and 230 on the math and reading sections of TASP will be advised to take a remediation course.

The Academic Advising Center has a program to find students who fail or pass TASP. Now they have to create a program to track students who passed, but fall within the remedial range.

Lee said the tracking program should be created within a few weeks.

She added that TASP remedial classes should be available this semester.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS THRIVE AT UH

by Jesse W. Coleman

Texas, California and New York were the most attractive states for international students during the last academic year, according to a study recently released by the Institute of International Education based in New York City.

The study, "Open Door 1992/93," shows a record number of international students enrolled in U.S. colleges. That represents an increase of 4.5 percent from the previous academic year. There were 438,618 international students enrolled in the 2,583 institutions that responded to the survey.

Not included in the study were students here under refugee status.

The number of female international students increased 6.6 percent from the previous academic year.

Texas was ranked third in college enrollment of international students, with 28,164.

The University of Texas at Austin had 4,119 international students, the largest number for a single school.

Students from Asian countries make up a large portion of international students enrolling in U.S. colleges. Asian countries accounted for nine of the top 10 countries sending students to the United States, with most of those coming from the Republic of China, Japan, Taiwan, India and Korea.

The UH Office of International Student and Scholar Services, a division of Student Affairs, released its 1993 fall semester annual enrollment report of nonimmigrant and immigrant international students, which reflected similar trends.

UH total enrollment for fall was 32,124, with international students making up 7 percent, or about 2,200 students.

Anita V. Gaines, associate director of the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, said the reason students choose to come to the United States for college is because of its international reputation for education. Gaines said they select schools in Texas because the tuition rates are competitive with other parts of the country.

"They choose UH because the climate is similar to theirs, they have relatives living in the Houston area or because of a (professional) field they are studying," Gaines said, adding that the affordable cost of living in Houston compared with other areas is a major reason why international students come here.

Gaines said the university does not recruit international students, and most pay their tuition independently. She said international students go through the same procedures as anyone seeking to enroll at UH.

The International Institute of Education study reported that the majority of international students are studying engineering, natural sciences and business administration. The UH report also had a high percentage of international students studying engineering and natural sciences.

Srinivasa Kunamnen, a computer engineering graduate from India, said the reason he enrolled in UH was because he likes the climate and educational system. "Houston is a metroplex, which gives me many opportunities to study and work before I return to my country."

Kunamnen added that he likes the engineering department because it has a good research program.

To help international students feel more at home, UH has several international and ethnic organizations such as the Students for Israel, Asian Students International, Nigerian Students’ Association and Mexican American Student Organization.

HOW TO COPE WITH COLLEGE BLUES

Moving away from home for the first time is difficult, even though some students claim the freedom outweighs the loneliness.

Nevertheless, at times, the loneliness outweighs the freedom. And with loneliness sometimes comes depression, a problem common among college students. Depression can lead to suicide.

Psychologists say a major factor in suicide cases is loneliness and feelings of isolation. Students sometimes feel they have no friends, that they are all by themselves or feel no one loves them.

Dr. Gerald Osborne, UH assistant vice president for counseling, said suicide is not caused by one single event.

Major or minor setbacks, lack of support and a feeling of not being loved are major reasons that lead people to suicide.

"In the youth, suicide has tripled over the years," Osborne said.

An added stress for students is the fear of not getting a good job when they graduate.

"There are more stresses and fewer supports. Also, jobs are not available like they were 10 years ago," Osborne said.

Many times, people give signals if they are contemplating suicide.

"Most frequently, it is ambivalent activity. The messages aren't clear, but always take it seriously," Osborne said, adding that support must be increased at such critical times.

"Offer hope. Show them that there really is hope, that something can be done different," Osborne said. "There are other alternatives."

He said many times, the death of a loved one or loss of anything cherished can enjoin a person to think of suicide.

"It can be anything from losing the ability to walk, physical beauty, a loss of faith or low grades. Making a person feel like there is no stress is a window of opportunity," Osborne said.

Suicidal people often just need to know that someone is there for them.

"Life can be bruising. Having a warm, comfortable place nurtures people. Be supportive and listen. It sounds simple, but sadly, it doesn't get done enough," Osborne said.

Clues that indicate someone is contemplating suicide:

•Abrupt change in personality

•Evident and prolonged depression

•Loss of interest in activities or friends

•Disturbed eating

•Disturbed sleep

•Drop in academic performance

•Accident proneness

•Giving away possessions

•Direct or indirect comments about suicide

Steps for helping someone who is contemplating suicide:

•Anyone who threatens to take his or her own life should be taken seriously.

•It is better to directly discuss the subject than to ignore it.

•Do NOT challenge the individual to act on a threat.

•Urge the suicidal person to postpone the decision. Help the person see suicide as infinitely postponable and always available as an alternative.

•Identify this person early and help him or her to seek professional help.

LADY COUGARS ROUT FROGS 112-73

REYNOLDS HAS CAREER-GAME IN LEADING UH TO 2ND STRAIGHT BLOWOUT

Maybe Wednesday's rain had something to do with the way the Lady Cougars handled the Texas Christian Lady Horned Frogs in Hofheinz Pavilion Wednesday night.

Houston drenched and stormed all over TCU and left them soaking wet, 112-73.

The Cougars shot an impressive 60 percent from the floor and never let up as seniors Chontel Reynolds and Michelle Harris poured in a collective 56 points on the night.

Harris scored 26 points while Reynolds did her best Tim Moore impersonation and led all scorers with 30.

For Reynolds, her offensive outburst was a UH career-high. She also had seven blocked shots, which were the most blocks in a game by a Lady Cougar in four years.

"I always knew I could be a scorer," Reynolds said. "A game like this really gets my confidence up."

"I told the team that one of the things we needed to do was keep our intensity," said Houston coach Jessie Kenlaw. "After we built up our halftime lead, we came out with even more intensity."

At the half, Houston held a 52-42 lead and were a red-hot 23-of-39 from the field (58.9 percent).

Every Cougar, with the exception of center Sharon Bennett, had at least two points at the half.

However, TCU refused to go away.

The Frogs (5-13, 1-7 in Southwest Conference games) shot even better from the field than the Cougars (8-10, 3-5) did in the first half (60 percent) and were getting strong production from backup center Amy Bumstead.

Bumstead was 6-of-6 from the field with 12 points and six rebounds as she constantly burned the Cougars on the low post.

"Our intensity wasn't where it needed to be in the first half," Kenlaw said. "We were playing well, but so was (TCU)."

But a 21-0 run through the first six minutes of the second half helped put the game out of reach at 71-42 and drown the defenseless Frogs.

"At halftime (we were still in the game), but I wanted them to put more effort," said TCU coach Shell Robinson. "We weren't doing that and we never did do it."

The Cougars continued to blow the game wide open as they literally toyed with TCU and even built their lead to a robust 40 points at 91-51 with 8:21 to go.

From then on, Kenlaw shuffled players in and out and just let her players have fun.

"A game like this does a lot for our girls' egos," Kenlaw said. "A lot of them have never been involved in a game like this before and it's important to let them have fun with it."

In addition to the points scored by Reynolds and Harris, the Cougars were also led by sophomore Antoinette Isaac and freshman Pat Luckey, who both contributed 17 points apiece.

"(Luckey and Isaac) were the players we were looking to concentrate on," said TCU senior Donna Krueger. "I don't know where Chontell came from."

This was the second consecutive blowout win for the Cougars after trouncing the Rice Owls last Saturday night 71-51.

Kenlaw added, "(Wins like these) are good for us because if we can keep playing like we did tonight and continue to move up in the (SWC) standings, we'll be ready come tournament time."

BEUTEAUX TRAMPLES BOYS 5-4 WITH OFFENSE, PITCHING

The Houston baseball team leaped to an early lead and survived a late rally to best the McNeese State Cowboys 5-4 Wednesday at Cowboy Diamond in Lake Charles, La.

Houston right fielder Shane Buteaux, who homered in the top of the eighth inning with what turned out to be the winning run, also pitched the final 1 1/3 innings to collect his second save of the season.

The Cowboys pulled to a 4-4 tie in the eighth behind Trent Bourque's RBI single, a two-run double by Deron Hofstetter and another scoring single by Jason Lecronier.

Buteaux took the mound with the bases loaded and two outs and forced Damon Rapp into a pop-up at second that ended the rally. He struck out one and allowed no hits in the ninth to seal the victory.

"We had to take Buteaux, who came in and got the big home run for us, to get the save," said Cougar coach Bragg Stockton. "He's mentally very tough. He told me he wanted the ball. I guess right now, you could call us Buteaux & Co."

Left-hander Matt Beech (2-0) pitched six strong innings, allowing only three hits and two walks; he struck out four.

Bo Hernandez pitched a scoreless seventh, but was smacked for three hits and four runs, three earned, in erasing a 4-0 Cougar lead. Three pitchers later, Buteaux took over.

"I thought that we had a chance there in the end, but you've got to produce when you've got runners on," said McNeese coach Tony Robichaux. "It was good to play a team like Houston. That should make us a better team."

Third baseman J.J. Matzke went 2-for-4 at the plate and drove in two runs for the Cougars, who improved to 5-1. The Cowboys fell to 4-1.

HELTON HONORS LETTERMEN AT BANQUET

Cougar head coach Kim Helton handed out 58 varsity letters to players from the 1993 team, including 23 seniors, at the UH football banquet, held Wednesday night at the UH Hilton.

Andre Ware, Houston's 1989 Heisman Trophy winner, was also in attendance to present his 1993 Andre Ware Outstanding Player Award to linebacker Ryan McCoy.

McCoy was a Butkus Award semifinalist, a second team All-American and a consensus All-Southwest Conference player. He also holds the UH career tackles record.

Senior Stephen Dixon accepted the Bill Yeoman Award, given to the toughest Cougar, and sophomore left tackle Jimmy Herndon received the President's Award for his 3.5 GPA.

Allen Aldridge (Tom Wilson Ironman Award), McCoy and TiAndre Sanders (Wilson Whitley Award for team captains), Michael Newhouse (Special Teams MVP), Lamar Smith (Offensive MVP), Sanders (Offensive Most Valuable Person), McCoy (Defensive MVP) and Donald Douglas (Defensive Most Valuable Person) filled out the honorees.

UNKNOWN AND POISED FOR SUCCESS

GOLFERS SWING INTO SPRING WITH TALENT AND EXPERIENCE

Cougar golf is one of the most storied athletic programs at the University of Houston, and it is also one of the least known on campus.

Hidden behind 16 national championships, the 1994 golf team will try to add another as it begins the spring season, golf's second half, at the Pan American Intercollegiate in Monterrey, Mexico.

The Cougars fared well in the first half, winning their first tournament Sept. 21 at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate in impressive fashion, setting an opening day team tournament record with a 15-under-par-round 273.

In four later tournaments, Houston faced top teams from around the nation, placing eighth in the Taylor Made/Red River Classic in Dallas, third at the Ping Tulsa Invitational, fifth at the Louisiana State University Intercollegiate and tying for fifth at the Harvey Penick Intercollegiate, hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.

Anders Hansen, a pre-business junior from Runebakken, Denmark, and a preseason All-America candidate, has struggled to maintain the noticeable presence he exhibited on the links last year, when he won the individual titles at both the Harvey Penick and the International Intercollegiate.

He lowered his stroke average to 74.3 from 74.4 from a year ago, but three of his five finishes are out of the top 25 and he has placed no higher than a tie for fifth.

Australian native Dean Larsson has been the surprise for the Cougars and, in a sense, its savior.

He has three top-five finishes and has lowered his average by two strokes. His best round was a 5-under-par at the Red River Classic that led all Cougars.

Senior Eric Bogar, a St. Thomas High School graduate, has also been tearing up the country club courses, finishing in the top 15 four of five times.

After red-shirting during the 1991-92 season and a 77.7 average in '92-'93, he enters the 1994 season as the most-improved player after shaving four strokes from his average.

Red-shirt freshman Noel Barfoot, senior transfer Mark Franklin and senior Brad Montgomery round out the roster. All three must have better production on the course for Houston to succeed at the NCAA Championships, which the talent-laden team should reach this year.

Head coach Keith Fergus, a former UH golfer and three-time All-American, is still seeking his first NCAA victory after coming to UH seven years ago.

The last time Houston won the championship was in 1985, behind the outstanding play of Steve Elkington and Billy Ray Brown.

BLACK DANCE TROUPE CREATES ART IN MOTION

by Manuel Esparza

This may be black history month, but all can partake in the celebration, and what better way to join in than to watch two top Texas dance troupes revel in that heritage. The Society For The Performing Arts has invited the Sharir Dance Company and the Dallas Black Dance Theatre to perform Friday.

Opening the evening will be the Sharir Dance company. The three-piece set opens with a dreamy work, <I>Witness<P>.<I>More About Love<P>, an audience favorite, is set to a Hebrew love song. Closing with a piece that choreographer Doug Varone wrote for himself, <I>Motet<P> will probably be the most difficult piece to dance to this evening.

The Dallas Black Dance Theatre is on a six-state tour. Known for a diverse repertory and electric performances, the troupe will premiere two new pieces, <I>Into the Labyrinth<P> and <I>Homage to the source: Africa<P>, as well as the solid <I>Reflections in D<P>.

Going all out, the troupe will open with <I>Into the Labyrinth<P>. Resident choreographer Darryl Sneed collaborated with musician John Bryant to create this work. This should be an exciting piece with the dance performed in several movements and at an energetic pace.

<I>Homage to the Source: Africa<P> underscores what makes this company unique and important in the dance world. Filled with drumming, singing and poetry, the piece is an adventurous step for modern dance.

The performance will be held Friday at the Wortham Center. Get there by 7:30 p.m. to hear the artistic directors of both companies speak and answer questions. Also, there is no late seating. Tickets are a cheap $14, $18 and $22. The frugal may ask about student prices.

ALLURING DANIEL IS ALWAYS DAY-LIGHTFUL

Video Feast

by Glenn Wilson Jr.

That's it! I've heard just about all I ever want to hear about Daniel Day-Lewis!

What is it about this guy?

Not only can he act (very well I might add), but he also appears to be incredibly attractive to women everywhere, especially the one whose opinion matters the most to me.

Personally, I don't see it. He always looks twenty years older than he really is and I'm positive that those beautiful, long black tresses are not real – they must be horse hair or something.

But I've decided to bow to the overwhelming pressure being applied to me and construct a make-shift film festival to keep this legion of drooling female fans satisfied.

First up, I would have to recommend his Academy Award winning performance in Jim Day-Sheridan's <I>My Left Foot<P>.

Even I had to admit that for the first time in recent memory the Best Actor Oscar went to the actor who most deserved it.

But Day-Lewis's performance is not the only one of note in this film. Brenda Day-Fricker was also nominated for her performance as his mother, not to mention Day-Sheridan, the director and writer.

Next up, try Michael Day-Mann's <I>The Last of the Mohicans<p>. Day-Lewis plays the lead role of Day-Hawkeye, and except for the occasional slipping of his accent, which often ranges from British to something I've heard described as harsh American (whatever the hell that means), he does a pretty good job as the dashing hero-type.

Unfortunately, the movie also features Madeline Day-Stowe in the female lead. Day-Stowe is without a doubt one of my least favorite actresses. I've seen cardboard boxes put on more convincing performances!

But as usual, nobody conferred with me about the casting, so mistakes were made. Who knew?

The film itself is beautifully filmed, and the battle scenes are extremely authentic. Highly recommended, except for Day-Stowe.

For this third film you will actually have to leave the comfort of your home and take a ride to your local theater because it isn't out on tape yet.

<I>In the Name of the Father<P> is yet another brilliant teaming of Day-Lewis and Day-Sheridan. This is one of the best films of the year.

However, the most impressive performance in this film comes from Pete Day-Postlethwaite as Day-Lewis' father.

The film itself is very entertaining and tells the true story of the extremely unjust treatment of Gerry Day-Conlon at the hands of a vengeful British legal system.

The last film may come as a surprise to some, but I have to go with Richard Day-Attenborough's <I>Gandhi<P>.

Sure this movie won eight Academy Awards, including Best Director and Best Actor (Ben Day-Kingsley). But by far its most deserving title is that of Day-Lewis's first real speaking part in a movie.

The scene comes early in the film while Day-Gandhi is still living in South Africa. He is accosted by some young South African punks who call him by several different racial slurs and order him to get off of the sidewalk.

One of those young Day-punks is a young Day-Lewis! And as usual, his performance (all two minutes of it) is mesmerizing.

There! Four films featuring the venerable Daniel Day-Lewis. All could probably stand on their own merits, but without his incredible Day-performances, who knows if they would have been so Day-lightful.

By the way, this is for Day-Shiloh. Now give it a Day-rest!

Day-Wilson is a post-bac student with serious insecurities regarding the popularity of Daniel Day-Lewis!

FISHBONE FLIPS & FLIES

SOUTH CENTRAL'S SONS OF SKA SOUNDED OFF SATURDAY

by Scott Eastman

Fishbone – the ska/funk/punk/rock/heavy metal band from South Central Los Angeles – performed for an enthusiastic crowd at the Bayou City Theater on Saturday.

Before Angelo Moore and company took the stage, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones performed. This is a band that you will be hearing about again. Clad in the members' trademark plaids, the Bosstones gave a performance that rivaled the main attraction. In some ways the Bosstones reminded fans more of early Fishbone than Fishbone did.

Each and every Bosstones song features an impressive contribution from the horn section. This was a band constantly in motion. Just as the fans jumped around in front of the stage, the band jumped around on the stage. One lucky patron was even invited on stage to sing with the band.

The Bostones entertain crowds both in the antics and the music. If you like a sound that compels you not just to dance, but to jump around. Watch for the Bostones headlining a summer tour of on its own.

After the standard intermission, the crowd gathered in the front, anxious to see the evening's feature attraction.

The light show began and Angelo Moore appeared. He began the evening with a monologue on the pitfalls of being a "rock star." This speech of sorts, accompanied by music and lights, was a stream of consciousness commentary on the music business and the lack of African American "rock stars", and the fact that being a star may not be as great as many people would think.

The rest of the band appeared and they performed a commentary on the typical police officer. "Doughnuts, Cigarettes, and Coffee" was well received by the crowd, with the notable exception of the representatives of Houston's finest gathered in the back of the room.

According to Moore, from a recent interview, Fishbone music is like an amoeba, constantly changing and taking in material from all around. This was evident in Saturday's performance.

To someone who was not familiar with the band, they may have seemed like a group of musicians trying to find themselves, alternating between funk and rock, moving from ska to heavy metal. But to those who have followed the band over the years, they demonstrated their ability to skillfully play both the old and the new. Funky songs like "Freddie's Dead" were performed with newer material like "Sunless Saturday." This is a band with many musical interests, and that is evident when one considers the way in which they have evolved during the last ten years.

What was clear to both the new and the old members of the "Fishbone Familyhood" is this is a band that still is capable of an incredible performance. Although the music has changed from one recording to the next, the one constant with Fishbone is the energy and intensity they bring to the stage at every performance.

Although it is impossible to predict how this band will evolve musically, I doubt their stage presence will ever change.

KEELY AND DU HAUNTING

by Pam Griffin

<I>Keely and Du<P> is an enthralling play about one of the most morally and politically controversial issues of this decade – abortion. The play is expertly performed by an extraordinarily concentrated ensemble of Alley Company members on the Alley Theatre's Neuhaus Arena Stage.

Playwright Jane Martin wrote <I>Keely and Du<P> uncompromisingly, focusing on the passions and conflicts of the characters who are caught within the issues.

Keely is a young woman raped and coincidentally impregnated by her ex-husband. Working two jobs, taking care of her disabled father and distraught over her beating, rape and pregnancy, Keely decides to have an abortion. On her way to the abortion clinic, Keely is kidnapped, sedated and taken to a different city by a "Christian Underground" called Operation Retrieval. Operation Retrieval is an extremist anti-abortion group whose goal is to stop the "holocaust" of unborn children.

When Keely awakes from the anesthetic, she finds herself handcuffed to a bed in a cold, dank basement where she will be forced to carry her fetus to term. Realizing her situation, Keely is terrified, then livid. Kimberly King (Keely) explodes in a dynamic performance demanding to be released.

Du (Bettye Fitzpatrick) is an elderly, retired registered nurse assigned as Keely's caretaker. With her motherly manner and warmth, Du eventually establishes a bond with Keely. Aside from the complicity, an undercurrent of generational differences is ever present throughout the play.

When Keely meets Walter (William Hardy), a reverend and leader of Operation Retrieval, she refuses to listen to his relentless pontificating about his proscribed ideas and horrific descriptions of abortion.

The graphic climax grips the audience when Keely struggles to make her mortal choice and Du is forced to make a choice that will save Keely's life or end in her death.

The final scene is an ironic role reversal when Keely visits Du in prison. <I>Keely and Du<P> is a compelling work and its final word "why?" resonates in one's mind.

<I>Keely and Du<P>

When: until Feb. 13

Where: Alley Theatre, 615 Texas

Telephone: 228—8421

Cost: $35—$27

SA ELECTION SEASON WARMS UP ON LAUNCHING PAD

Candidate-filing for the Students' Association election begins Friday and ends Feb. 18, and the election commission believes the new election code should be solidly in place soon. Because last year's senate speaker, Michelle Palmer, did not sign the bill establishing the new election code, Coy Wheeler, the present speaker, will appear before the University Hearing Board to decide what effects this will have on SA elections.

Election Commissioner Habib Salley said, "I don't foresee any problems in this election. All candidates are pretty much well informed about the election code. As long as they keep in mind the rules and regulations set by the student senate, then there should not be any trouble between opponents."

General elections will be March 9 and 10 at polling places around campus. Students can only vote at their designated polling place.

Any UH student can file to be a candidate for an SA position, except members of the election commission and student judiciary.

Salley and assistant commissioners Ouida Middleton and Derrick Adams will oversee the election and campaign to make sure all requirements are enforced.

Election code requirements make candidates responsible for their supporters’ activities if they are found to be aware of any infractions.

After allegations of fraud and ballot-stuffing two years ago, the election code was changed substantially to include new checks and balances.

David Daniel, assistant director of Campus Activities and an adviser to the election commission, said the major changes were in how votes are tabulated.

Several years ago, a Daily Cougar reporter demonstrated how easy it was to vote at more than one college.

"Now you can only vote at your college and you can't use affidavits," Daniel said.

Candidates or an authorized representative must attend one of three seminars on the election code and ethics, to be held Feb. 17 at 5 p.m., Feb. 18 at 1 p.m. and Feb. 21 at 5 p.m.

"Candidates should personally (attend) the candidate seminar because they are responsible for following the election code," Daniel said. "Candidates should not assume something is OK. They should ask first so they don't get sanctioned (later)."

Candidates are prohibited from distributing any campaign material without prior approval from the election commission.

Campaign materials can only be posted outdoors in designated areas. The election code bans posting materials off-campus.

Campaigning is prohibited within 50 feet of the polls.

Expenditures for college-wide elections are limited to $75 and campus-wide elections to $250.

Violations of the code might lead to disqualification, a new election or an order for the candidate not to campaign until there is compliance with Student Court orders.

Any student convicted of election fraud, which includes ballot-stuffing or the altering of ballots, is banned from active participation in SA.

Middleton, who was the election commissioner for the dedicated student fee referendum, said students should look for candidates who are dedicated to student interests and have experience with various organizations.

"It's very demanding and it's good to elect someone who knows who to contact when you need something done," she said.