MUSIC INDUSTRY GETTING HOTTER

A lot of talk has been going around about the <B>B-52s<P> and former member <B>Cindy Wilson<P>, especially after her appearance with the B-52s at several clubs in New York for several gigs and in Georgia during Super Bowl week.

Well, it appears to be just a series of special events that drew Wilson back to the B's. The remaining B-52s will release an album sometime this spring, followed by an extensive U.S. tour.

It has been kept under wraps over the last several months, but the forthcoming <B>KISS<P> tribute album will offer something for everybody. <B>The Lemonheads<P> will tackle "Plaster Caster," while <B>Nine Inch Nails<P> try their hand at "Love Gun." Other stars reported to be making a stab at various KISS classics include <B>Faith No More<P>, <B>Lenny Kravitz<P>, <B>Stevie Wonder<P> and <B>Gin Blossoms<P>. One of the more interesting, but obvious choices is <B>Garth Brooks<P>, singing "Hard Luck Woman." I'm sure KISS will have quite a chuckle over the fact that one song will, more than likely, be a huge country hit.

Miscellaneous: One of <B>Butt-Head's<P> favorites, <B>White Zombie<P>, will come back to Texas with shows in Austin, Live Oak, Fort Worth and El Paso .... In the "City of Lights" <B>Siouxsie and The Banshees<P> are hard at work on a new CD, expected to be released in the late spring .... <B>Peter Frampton<P> is on the comeback trail with a new self-titled CD .... Look for <B>Salt-N-Pepa<P> on the tube soon. They struck a deal with Disney TV .... Next month, <B>Bonnie Raitt<P> returns with <I>Longing In Their Hearts<P> .... The former <B>YES<P> members have stopped arguing enough to put together a new CD .... <B>Blind Melon<P> will now try to capitalize on last year's success of the debut and hit "No Rain".... <B>Pet Shop Boys<P> will release <I>Very Relentless<P>, a package consisting of last year's <I>Very<P> and six other unreleased tracks .... Question of the week: Could <B>J. Geil's Band<P> be thinking of getting back together? I say yes.

Sparks is a disc jockey at Houston radio station 104.1 FM KRBE.

*******************************************************

STOP-SIGN PULLOVER TURNS INTO FELONY

Many students worry about their futures and question what life will be like after graduation, but for 21-year-old Diallo Smith, a junior, undecided, those plans may be put on hold for up to 10 years if he is convicted after being charged with threatening a UH police officer.

He was officially charged with retaliation against a police officer after alleged threats. If convicted of the felony, Smith faces a fine of up to $10,000 and/or two to 10 years in prison.

He was stopped by police Tuesday at 12:52 a.m. after allegedly running a stop sign at Entrance 1 on Calhoun, according to UHPD reports, which also allege Smith was driving without a license and assaulted the arresting officer during the encounter. However, charges were not filed against him for assault, resisting arrest and driving without a license.

"Officer (Mark) Stevens approached him in the car and asked for his license and insurance and he became irate. He said he did not have his license," said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil, who quoted from the report. "The officer also had a flashlight in his hands and Mr. Smith demanded he get the light out of his eyes."

However, Smith said the flashlight wasn't necessary because there was sufficient lighting on the street. He also said he did not have his driver’s license with him, so he offered the officer his board card as identification and proof that he was a student.

"He took the board card and then asked me for my driver's license number," Smith said. "I told him and he asked me what it was again, so I told him. Then he asked me for the number again and I told him."

According to the report, Stevens asked Smith to turn the car off. "He turned the car off and then threw his keys into the street," Stevens said.

However, Smith says his actions were not out of spite. "I threw them on the ground and said, 'Now you don't have to worry about me going anywhere,' " Smith said. "Then he asked me for the number again."

According to Wigtil, Smith then got out of his car and allegedly refused to get back in at the officer's request.

"I got out and picked up my keys; I wanted to roll up the window – it was electric, and I had to turn the car back on to do it," Smith said. "That's when I was pushed into the door."

On the contrary, Wigtil said when Smith got out of the car, the situation happened differently.

"When Mr. Smith got out of the car, officer Stevens placed his hand on his shoulder to direct him back into the car," the report said. "And with a closed fist, he hit the officer once in the chest and one time in the arm."

The student was subsequently arrested, handcuffed and taken to UHPD.

"On the way back to the station, (Smith) said 'You better be glad I don't have a gun or you would be like that HPD officer that got shot. Just wait until I get out,' " the report said.

Smith denied making the threat.

The student remained handcuffed to a bench in a UHPD holding cell until around 1:30 p.m. that same day.

Smith is now worried that if he must serve time in prison, his education will be delayed and his relationship with his 4-year-old son will be disrupted.

"I'm just hurt that they had to treat me like a common criminal. He knew that I was a student and he still treated me like I was dirt, like I didn't count," Smith said. "I never touched that man. They were going to convict me no matter what. That's what hurt me the most."

In addition to the looming possibility of a criminal record, Smith also has to worry about money, money for a lawyer to prove his innocence.

"I owe $2,000 in collateral," said Smith, who spent all the money he had to get out of Harris County Jail. "Where am I going to get that kind of money?"

He is due in District Court 185 Feb. 11.

HISTORY PROF' BOOK REPLAYS CIVIL WAR

by Megan McVeigh

UH History Professor Joseph Glatthaar scrutinizes military partnerships forged during Civil War battles in his book <I>Partners in Command<P>.

"What is different about the book is that it focuses on command relationships. You see how human beings interact and how they draw on the strengths of one another to succeed, or are incapable of drawing on the strengths of another and fail," he said.

Glatthaar has written two other books about the Civil War, and was inspired to write <I>Partners in Command<P> after teaching a class about military relationships at the U.S. Army Military History Institute.

Many of Glatthaar's students at the institute fought in the Gulf War, and much debate centered on Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf's relationships with his subordinates and how they compared with the command relationships of the Civil War.

Glatthaar said, "This book, from the military's perspective, is timely because human nature hasn't changed. The technology in warfare has changed, but the thought processes have not."

In the book, he explores the positive and negative relationships that, he said, dictated the course of the war. He said, "I selected these individuals because their command relationships, in my opinion, were the most important."

Glatthaar focuses on the relationship forged between Union strategists Ulysses S. Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman. The deep friendship and trust between the two men was a significant factor in the North's victory, Glatthaar said. In the book, he writes, "The war thrusts these men together; there they formed a most unusual and symbiotic partnership."

Grant was a "strong character" capable of making tough decisions. Sherman, however, "could come up with great possibilities, but would agonize over making decisions," Glatthaar said.

Grant and Sherman "are very different from a personality standpoint, but it is almost as if they shared one ego. A success for one is a success for the other," he said. "They have the most extraordinarily complementary relationship that you will ever see."

Glatthaar said the South lost the war, in part, because "they suffered great losses in high-ranking personnel, the most important being Stonewall Jackson early in the war.

"Jackson and Robert E. Lee had a professional relationship in which they shared an aggressive approach to warfare. Jackson's death from pneumonia in 1863 had a negative effect on the Confederate Army," Glatthaar said.

If the South had the same caliber of strategists that the Union had near the end of the war, the Confederacy might have won, Glatthaar said. "Merely possessing superiority in resources does not assure victory. What you've got to do is establish effective command relationships to tap those resources and focus them in the appropriate way so that your military forces succeed."

Amos Miller, a UH history professor, said, <I>Partners in Command<P> is an excellent book if you want to discover why it was the South lost the war, or the North won."

Glatthaar's book was named the History Book Club's "Main Selection" in December and "shows that whether we are talking about the military or not, a successful leader has to have a combination of qualities. You have to be able to deal with people," Miller said.

Glatthaar said lessons learned from his book can be applied to any area of life. "We all have these sorts of relationships. It could be a professor and a student, a boss and an employee or a parent and a child. There are insights into all sorts of human relationships."

JOURNALISM PROF REFLECTS ON 25 YEARS

One of the many pleasures of learning and going to college is meeting professors who make an impression that lasts for the rest of a student's life. It might be rare to find one professor who stands out from the rest, but in the School of Communication, many agree that Campbell Titchener has this quality. His witty, informative lectures make class fun and interesting.

However, this is Professor Titchener's last semester at UH. At age 65, he will retire, leaving behind students and faculty who will miss him.

Titchener graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in music in 1951. He then spent two years in the Army playing a trombone in Japan. From 1953 to 1957 he attended the University of Illinois, earning a master's degree in communications while working for the Champaign Illinois News Gazette. There he covered city hall, the police beat and did some music reviews

He went on to work for the Rockford, Illinois, Registered Republic, the evening paper, and the Morning Star, the morning paper. He was a police reporter, entertainment writer and entertainment columnist.

"I covered sensational murders and a lot of important civic stories. In 1962, I was sent to New York to review Broadway shows and Broadway stars, so I met a lot of famous people. Most of them are old now. All kinds of road shows came through there. I was the No. 1 entertainment writer for the papers, so anybody who was famous, I talked to … Sammy Davis Jr.; Lawrence Welk; Jimmy Dean, the sausage guy; Hugh Downs," he said.

In 1964, he went back to Ohio State University in Columbus, where he was a research associate. The school had a grant to study science writing, and Titchener was hired to administer the grant. He then began his career in teaching, while in the meantime working on his Ph.D.

However, due to a difference of opinion, he left his teaching job.

"I was fired because I didn't like the way things were being done at the college level," Titchener said. "We had needed to replace the director and I thought the process was not quite right, so I protested, including picketing the administration building … I was a rebel back then. You'd never guess it now."

He finished his Ph.D. and worked as managing editor of the <I>Educational Broadcasting Review<P>. In 1969, he graduated to become a third-generation Ph.D. in his family.

"That fall I came to Houston and I've been in Houston ever since," he said, adding that he stopped writing because he was caught in a union situation.

"I could not get promoted and I couldn't get more money. I wanted something more. All of the people at the newspaper who were over me, the editors and assistant editors, were all about my age. There was no place to go there. It was a wonderful job. I was a kind of important person in a small place, but I got restless and wanted a promotion, so I looked for a bigger newspaper."

While looking for a job, he was teaching as a temporary to earn some money.

"I began to like it. I like teaching, so I decided to stay with that," he said.

Titchener said he has experienced many exciting and interesting events while he was a reporter.

"We had a gang murder. I was working the police beat. They found two bodies in a trunk in the county. They were two small-time gamblers who were trying to muscle their way into some of the organized crime activities and they had been murdered. I was the main reporter on that story for several weeks. It was a pretty important story."

He has also interviewed presidents, including Ronald Reagan, and presidential candidates, including John Anderson.

Another one of Titchener's many accomplishments was putting together a press conference for Gerald Ford.

"I was in the audience at the famous press conference that Richard Nixon held when Dan Rather challenged him. So as a reporter, you get to know famous people," he said.

In May of 1970 the chairman of the UH Department of Communications left and Titchener became the acting chairman.

"What I liked best was that I worked with The Cougar in almost everything. The Department of Communications was much closer to The Cougar then than it is now."

Remembering 25 years of his life brings back many events and memories that make him proud. However, he says he is most proud of one in particular.

"I was chairman longer than anyone else, so I've had the longest tenure as head of the department since it was formed in 1963."

He was hired to work with The Cougar and news reporting students and as a result, The Cougar began winning awards. He also worked to establish better relations with the newspapers downtown. That led to the internship programs.

"I started our intern program, which is one of the most successful in the country," he said.

Titchener was the major spokesman for the field of communications when the building was built.

"I attended all the meetings and all the planning sessions and worked with the architects and university planners to design this building, so there are some things in this building that are here because I said, ‘Let's have this or let's put this in here.' "

During that time he also taught three classes each semester in addition to summer classes.

He said the facet of teaching that he likes most is being an influence on students' thinking.

"It’s putting something into people's heads and nagging them to do it and then seeing that they've learned something. It's taking students who begin with only an amateur's knowledge of the media and end up in important media positions all across the nation. It's a satisfying activity."

He said what makes teaching interesting is that every student is different and the subject matter is timely and changes continuously.

"You've got to pay attention all the time. Working with students and making them aware of the media is what I enjoy most."

However, teaching has also had its unpleasant moments. Once a student arrived at his office carrying a weapon. "I've never been threatened physically, but I have had people weep copiously," he said.

Titchener said he is retiring for a number of reasons.

"I want to play golf, write and spend time travelling with my grandchildren. You don't just stay on this earth for 65 years without showing some signs of wear and tear."

Titchener and his wife are moving to a planned retirement community in Arizona because he said he has no real roots in Houston.

"I'm very satisfied that as long as I've been here and as long as I've had something to say about it, I've done a reasonably good job."

He has been working on two novels and plans to continue playing the piano.

"I have a very good voice, (although) few people agree with me," he said with a smile.

"Life can be satisfying and rewarding and (that's) based on honesty and hard work," Titchener said.

DANCE AND SING SUNDAY

by Rosario Peña

Enjoy an afternoon of music and dance at the Fourth Annual Arturo Monsanto Latin American Folk Festival Sunday in the Houston Room of the University Center from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Through native songs, music and handcrafts, the festival promotes artistic expression and cultural understanding of the Latin culture.

This year the festival will spotlight Central America, and five round-trip airline tickets to Central America will be raffled.

The festival will include a special performance by singer Maria Gladys, who has dedicated part of her life to helping the less fortunate and bringing happiness through her music.

There will be Central American consulates on hand as well as booths for cultural and tourism information from many Latin American countries including Belize, Guatemala, Costa Rica and El Salvador.

General admission is $5, $3 for children, students and senior citizens. Raffle tickets are $2 each or three for $5. You receive one free raffle ticket with each adult purchase. Proceeds go to academic and textbook scholarship funding for qualified Hispanic students and students studying Spanish at the university.

The annual festival commemorates the late UH graduate Arturo Monsanto and is sponsored by the UH Department of Modern and Classical Languages and the Honors College.

TECH A MUST-WIM IN HOME STRETCH

If the Houston Cougars hope to make up any more ground in the Southwest Conference before the league tournament begins on March 10, now's the time to do it.

The Cougars (3-16, 1-7 SWC) are headed into the favorable part of their schedule in which they will play three of their next four SWC games in Hofheinz Pavilion.

"(Playing at home) is a great opportunity that I will definitely stress to the team," said Houston head coach Alvin Brooks. "We haven't had an opportunity to play in front of the home folks lately. But (now) we've got a chance to make some noise."

Saturday at 4 p.m., Texas Tech (10-9, 5-3) comes calling with the league's third-best record, boasting wins in four of its last five games.

Tech's only blemish in that stretch came Saturday against league co-leader Texas A&M. The Raiders blew several chances in the game's later moments and lost 89-88.

But the Red Raiders bounced back Wednesday night to earn a much-needed 98-84 triumph over Baylor in Lubbock.

"Our guys played hard after our loss to A&M," Dickey said. "We came out with a strong, balanced attack (against Baylor)."

The Raiders' explosive scoring trio of Jason Sasser, Mark Davis and Lance Hughes was at it again, scoring 27, 28 and 22 points, respectively, against the Bears.

However, playing in Houston is something the Raiders have not done well in recent years.

They haven't won a game here since Feb. 5, 1986, when coach Gerald Meyers' team won a double-overtime thriller, 92-91.

"It has always been tough to play in Hofheinz," Dickie said. "We are a much better team at home."

Tech won the first meeting 77-68 on Jan. 15, when the two teams squared off in Lubbock.

Senior guard Anthony Goldwire and forward Tim Moore each scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough.

"(In that first game), we ran into that problem we always seem to have when we couldn't capitalize on their mistakes," Brooks said. "But if we can just finish off some plays, I think we'll be alright."

TRACK TEAM BOUND FOR OKLAHOMA

The UH track team will be in Oklahoma Friday and Saturday as it competes in the Oklahoma Track City Classic.

Both the women's and men's teams will compete in what will be their final meet before the Southwest Conference Indoor Championships.

Last week the women's team had a good showing at Louisiana State, finishing fourth overall.

People to watch include Dawn Burrell, Cynthia Jackson and the 4x400 relay team.

On the men's side, Ubeja Anderson has been performing well in the 55-meter hurdles, winning last week at LSU.

They will also have Sam Jefferson returning to the team this week after he went to New York to compete in the Millrose Games.

<B>Cougars take to water<P>

The women's swimming and diving team goes on a crosstown road trip today to swim against Rice University.

Last season the Cougars beat the Owls at home 147-118. They are coming off a near victory against Texas Christian last Saturday.

The team is lead by freestyler Alexandra Heyns, who won all three of her events against TCU.

The diving team also did well as Donelle Dubois and Olivia Clark both finished in the top two in their events.

RAIDERS SWOOPESLESS, BUT STILL SUPERB

There were those who thought the Texas Tech Lady Raiders were due for a big drop-off after the graduation of legendary Sheryl Swoopes.

The Lady Raiders have plummeted all the way to 18-3, seventh in the national polls and leading the Southwest Conference in most team defensive statistics.

Tough year.

The Lady Cougars (8-10, 3-5 in the SWC) can testify to how far Texas Tech has fallen. On Jan. 15, the Raiders beat them soundly 92-79 at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Coming into Saturday's 2 p.m. game at Lubbock's Jones Stadium, the Raiders are 6-2 in the SWC, one game behind both Texas and Texas A&M.

An upset at the hands of the Cougars would not be timely.

On the other hand, the Cougars are playing phenomenally, having blown out TCU and Rice in the last two games by a combined score of 183-124.

"The girls feel like they can play with anyone right now," Coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "We need to remain focused. We play so well when we're focused."

Indeed, remaining focused will be a key against the smothering defense of the Raiders. Texas Tech has held opponents to a 36.6 field goal percentage this year. The Cougars shot 60.2 percent against TCU on Wednesday.

"We need to attack them. We can't let them force us to shoot farther out than we want to," Kenlaw said.

Texas Tech is led by junior Connie Robinson, averaging 16.3 points per game, and surprise starter Michi Atkins (15.3 ppg). Three-point bomber Noel Johnson (41.3 percent) will also be a factor.