'SUPER CAJUN' COOKING UP VICTORIES, TOPS SWTS'

Shane "Super Cajun" Buteaux saved the day twice for the Houston baseball team in a two-game sweep of Southwest Texas State this weekend.

The Cougars (7-1) came back twice from early Bobcat leads in a 5-4 victory Sunday and a 3-1 win Saturday.

Buteaux was the catalyst in both games against Southwest Texas (4-3) – he has been all season.

Sunday he hit a sixth-inning sacrifice fly to tie the game at two. He won the game in the bottom of the eighth with a three-run opposite-field home run.

After rounding the bases, he trotted straight to the bullpen and proceeded to warm up his arm. He then saved the game pitching a scoreless ninth inning.

Saturday, Buteaux singled in Ricky Freeman for the come-from-behind winning run in the sixth. He manufactured an insurance run in the eighth when he reached second on a fielder's choice, stole third base and then stole home.

"Shane is almost a one man team right now," Houston head coach Bragg Stockton said. "He did the same thing at McNeese."

Buteaux's line for the weekend was: 2-for-7, a home run, five RBI's, two runs and his Southwest Conference leading third save of the season.

"I'm just helping the team any way I can," a modest Buteaux said. "It means a lot that we're 7-1 because the wins are not coming easily."

Neither of the victories came easily this weekend.

Bobcat starter Morgan Reiter limited UH to two hits through the first five innings Sunday. Houston scored two unearned runs in the sixth before Buteaux ended Reiter's day with his eighth-inning blast.

Reiter's performance was almost a mirror image of Dan Rioux's performance Saturday. Rioux threw five innings of two-hit ball as well before he gave up hits to Ryan Elizondo, Freeman and Buteaux. His day ended after Buteaux's RBI single.

SWTS head coach Howard Bushong said one reason for Houston's late inning comebacks was the Bobcat's lack of pitching depth.

"We don't have any depth," he said. "We had to leave them out there too long."

It was Houston's relief pitching that saved the day for the Cougars this weekend.

After starter Matt Beech and reliever Brad Towns gave up a combined four runs in 6 2/3 innings Sunday, Jason Dixon and Buteaux shut down SWTS over the last 2 1/3 innings. Dixon (1-0) picked up the victory.

Saturday, David Hamilton (1-0) relieved Brian Hamilton in the fifth inning and went the distance. He gave up one hit and no runs in five innings to earn his first win of the season.

"I was just keeping the ball low. I had a good change-up and I was finally throwing my curve for strikes," David said. "We also got great defense. Ryan Elizondo saved me a couple of times."

The relief pitching set the table for Buteaux's late game heroics. The Cougars, Buteaux included, did not hit well early on in either game.

"I know we're gonna hit better. We've just got too many good hitters," Stockton said. "I told the guys that our fielding percentage is gonna keep you in every game and our ERA is gonna keep us in every game. We're just not hitting yet."

Houston was predicted to have a terrific hitting team but a weak and unknown pitching staff.

*******************************************************

COUGAR CARD CUTS COSTS ON DATES

by Amanda Swaty

Thankfully, the art of dating on a budget has finally evolved beyond taking a date to a happy-hour buffet and sneaking into a dollar movie. Money happens to be a resource more scarce than ozone in the ozone layer, so one needs to be a little more creative in order to impress that special someone this Valentine's Day.

Perhaps the most traditional date includes dinner at an establishment somewhere beyond the typical 59-cent taco.

Available in the Campus Activities Office in the UC Underground, the Cougar Card offers students a variety of discounts such as up to a 25 percent discount on the final bill at the Hobbit Hole Restaurant, and a discount at Oscar's Creamery. The Cougar Card also gets a 20 percent floral discount at the Flower Corner.

Another way to eat well, albeit inexpensively, is to investigate coupons, which go beyond the garbage that clutters the mailbox. Coupons to some of Houston's finest restaurants can generally be found in the Houston Chronicle's Zest Magazine or in the Calendar section of the Houston Post. Both include a plethora of specials on dinner and entertainment.

Entertainment in itself can prove to be a rather expensive facet of a date. With the cost of movies at an all-time high, many people would forgo them altogether.

There are, however, a few ways to beat the proverbial system. The first is to go to a dollar cinema, which have recently begun to feature new releases at a faster pace.

If there are no objections to going out during the day, first-run cinemas have matinee specials, often costing as little as $2.75.

If all else fails, there are student discounts at AMC Theaters with a valid student I.D.

For those who are not interested in what the cinema has to offer, there are always (weather permitting) parks. The closest in proximity for many is the Transco Waterwall (off Post Oak, near 610). Be warned, this is free, but for that reason is likely to be very crowded, making privacy virtually impossible.

For those willing to drive awhile, Galveston is always an option. You might be hard-pressed to find anyone who could think of something more romantic than being on the beach on a starry night, unless, of course, the weather is like the freezing rain brought on by Thursday's storm.

Even for those rainy days, there remain options. The museums of Houston offer a discount to students, with a valid ID and are free on Thursdays. Another thing to be cautious of is that the individual exhibits can be pricey and the museums often close early in the evening.

Museums, the beach and a decent meal. None of these are reminiscent of what one might call "a cheap date." Rather, one must consider these options as being indicative of an … inexpensive means of entertainment.

Have a happy (and frugal) Valentine's Day!

WHIPS, SAINTS, MATING BIRDS ON VALENTINE'S DAY

Jason D. Fowler

Feb. 14 marks a special day of the year when young and old alike are predisposed to the possibility of receiving beautifully decorated greeting cards, colorful heart-shaped boxes of candy and various romantic gifts from friends, sweethearts and family.

This tradition began in the early 1400s and reflects an ancient custom of sending tokens of love called "valentines" to one's beloved.

Renee Hershey, a representative of Hallmark Cards, says approximately 1 billion valentines will be sent this year. Valentines are often decorated with arrow-pierced hearts and may include romantic or, in some instances, humorous verse.

Although this holiday is unofficially practiced nearly nationwide in the United States, the customs of this day differ somewhat in other countries. In Italy, for example, people hold a Valentine's Day feast. In Denmark it is customary to send pressed white flowers called "snowdrops" to one's friends. It is also common practice in areas of Europe for one to send valentines covered in sarcastic and often insulting verse.

Valentine's Day is sometimes referred to as St. Valentine's Day. It would seem natural to assume the holiday owes its humble beginning to a certain, prominent saint by the name of Valentine. The history of Roman Christian martyrs, according to <I>World Book Encyclopedias<P>, indicates the existence of not one, but two St. Valentines, who were apparently executed on the same day. However, it is believed they died 60 miles from each other.

One tale tells of a Roman emperor, Claudius the Goth, who believed single men made better soldiers. A Roman priest by the name of Valentine was first beaten with clubs, then beheaded at the request of Claudius on Feb. 14, A.D. 269, for secretly marrying couples despite the emperor's orders.

Some scholars believe the origin of Valentine's Day can be traced back to the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated on Feb. 15, near a secret cave in the Palatine Hill called Lupercal to ensure protection from hungry wolves. During this celebration, which included dancing, banquets and the sacrificing of goats, young men called Luperci ran naked around Palatine Hill with whips made from animal hides.

Women who wanted to have children stood willingly near the path of the runners so as to be struck by the whips. The women believed that such ceremonial whippings increased their fertility. After Britain was conquered in A.D. 43 by Rome, it is believed the British were greatly influenced by many Roman festivals, including Lupercalia.

Still, many authorities contend Valentine's Day owes its origin to a popular belief held in medieval England and France. It is believed birds began to mate on the beginning of the second fortnight of the second month.

However, the reformed Gregorian calendar was not introduced until 1582, according to <I>World Book Encyclopedia<P>, when Feb. 14 came on what is now Feb. 24. Nevertheless, it seems the particular notion that birds selected their mates on Feb. 14 was prevalent among the common people of the time and that this influence in nature was innate as is the common belief that springtime is for lovers.

Regardless of its mysterious origin, Valentine's Day is not a mystery among lovers today. It is, in fact, a day when one's affection for another is celebrated (in one fashion or another) and romance is the theme of the day.

WEDDING BELLS RINGING AT UH

by Cheryl Luedke

Wedding bells are ringing for some on Valentines Day.

At UH’s A.D. Bruce Religion Center, five to six weddings are held each week, coordinator Diana Shanker said. When Valentine's Day falls on a weekend, the chapel, which is "nestled among the trees," is booked with weddings, Shanker said. Many of these weddings involve college students.

Education major Kim Dobrava got married when she was 22 and her husband is now helping her through school.

"Almost all my friends are married," said Dobrava, who, although she has been happily married for almost three years, advises young couples against marrying too soon.

"You have to be 'me' before you can be 'we,' " and couples should wait until they have graduated so they will not have to tackle the financial burden that comes along with being married while in college.

"If you really love each other, you can wait," she added.

Alumnus Roy Rowland was married with three children and holding two jobs during his undergraduate studies at UH. Now divorced, Rowland said attending college puts a strain on a marriage, especially a young and new marriage.

John P. Vincent, a professor of psychology, said the divorce rate is higher for people who marry very young simply because the realities are stacked against them.

"They have less experience in relationships and do not know a whole lot about what it takes to be in a marriage," Vincent said.

Vincent added that marrying young "is not a death sentence, but it is harder."

Valentine's Day means something different to everyone. Those married or blissfully in love can enjoy the day and please their sweethearts with a kiss. Those who are divorced or single can kiss whomever they please.

ROMANCE LIGHTS SCREEN

by Glenn R. Wilson

Today is the big one, the big day on which we celebrate the love we have for another person, whether that love be in the open and eagerly returned or secret and unrequited.

And being the old softy that I am, I have decided to dedicate this film festival to all those loves out there who just want to stay home and watch a good movie this weekend (or four films, as the case may be).

My first choice for this festival would obviously have to be <I>Casablanca<P>.

Whether you have seen it once or 100 times, this is still the ultimate romance movie.

Humphrey Bogart was at his best as the "neutral" American owner of Rick's American Cafe. Bogie was the original actor who did it all with his eyes and his voice. His body remained firm and resolute in the face of danger, arms hanging lifeless by his side, useless appendages to this quiet man of action.

Ingrid Bergman was the definition of beautiful as the "old acquaintance" of our hero, Rick. She arrives in Casablanca with a French Resistance leader at her side. And Claude Rains steals the film as the local police constable, who delights in "rounding up the usual suspects."

As time went by, this film managed to take on mythic proportions and anyone who has ever seen it would say deservedly so – a timeless classic with enormous appeal to even today's audiences.

But a word of advice: Avoid any colorized versions. Cheesy colors do nothing to enhance this film, they only detract!

This next choice may seem a little odd, but I think it fits. For the second film in the festival, try <I>Rocky<P>.

Despite what you may have heard, <I>Rocky<P> is much more than just a "boxing film." Underneath all the rhetoric about Rocky Balboa just wanting a shot at being something better is a tender love story between Sylvester Stallone's Rocky and Talia Shire's Adrian.

And if you're not exactly a big fan of love stories, then this one is for you. Mixed in between the "smoochy" parts are plenty of scenes of unbridled violence, sweaty men working out and a final fight scene that is one of the best choreographed in film history. Though it should be noted that if this were not a movie, the fight would have been ended in the sixth round.

Stallone's Academy Award-nominated script is still the best thing he ever wrote. It's really a shame he had to sell <I>Rocky<P>'s soul to the box office and make all those awful sequels.

Next up is Woody Allen's <I>Annie Hall<P>.

When you think of modern romantic comedy, this is the movie that has to come to mind.

It stars Woody Allen and Diane Keaton as a couple whose relationship grows from good friends, to lovers, then back again in true modern fashion.

But best of all, it's extremely funny.

Woody finally discovered how best to apply his comic wit to a "regular, normal" story in <I>Annie Hall<P>. Unfortunately, after this film, Woody's self-introspection took a nasty turn for the worse and he still hasn't fully recovered.

<I>Annie Hall<P> is a really good movie, but I have personally never forgiven it for stealing all those Oscars away from <I>Star Wars<P>, so if you'd rather see something else, I won't be too hurt. Try <I>When Harry Met Sally <P>; it's basically a remake anyway.

For the last film, try Cameron Crowe's <I>Say Anything<P>.

This is a movie that appeals to the young lovers in all of us. It brilliantly captures that moment in a relationship when you think it's never going to end, then all hell suddenly breaks loose and it does.

John Cusack began his transformation from silly teen-age movie star to respected young actor with this film, and it is a very good performance. Ione Skye, as the object of his affection, is appropriately beautiful and Crowe's script is filled with wonderful dialogue from beginning to end.

All in all, <I>Say Anything<P> makes the perfect finishing touch to this Valentine's Day Festival. Not too optimistic, and not too pessimistic, just a good story told well.

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student studying history.

GIFTS FOR LOVED ONES CAN BE INNOVATIVE, CHEAP

LAST-MINUTE PRESENTS CAN BE FOUND FOR LOVER

by Rachel Elizabeth Woods

Two dozen long-stemmed red roses, Harry Winston diamonds, Cartier diamonds, Tiffany diamonds. These are all traditional Valentine's Day gifts, given and received over and over by folks who really love each other.

Traditional gifts do get old and boring (except the diamonds!)

This year, a person could give their valentine a different kind of gift. One that is funky, unusual, offbeat, cool, sexy and still sweet.

The key to buying a non-traditional gift is just being creative, but it is understandable that one might not come up with something when the malls close at 6 p.m., and the sales clerk doesn't want to help.

Giving an unusual and sweet gift might be an idea.

Valentine's Day always brings around the problem of overdrawn credit cards. If that is the case, the following gifts are great and inexpensive.

A Song. Rock stars do this all the time. Expression with words and music might be the solution. Singing a song or having it sung, even if one has no musical or lyrical talent, will definitely touch that valentine.

A Poem. Remember Elizabeth Barrett Browning? This one works. No "roses are red, violets are blue" stuff.

A Video. Everybody's got a camcorder. Just set that thing up on the tripod, get some good lighting, push RECORD.

Stay away from the Traci Lords stuff, though.

A Picture. No, not Glamour Shots. Something more along the lines of Victoria's Secret, or Playboy/Playgirl. Use a Polaroid. Professional shots like these are expensive, and Target doesn't develop kinky negatives.

A Book. Just give them that constructive-criticism explanation. <I>How To Satisfy A Woman Every Time<P> or <I>How To Make Love To A Woman<P> might work just as long as the guys read the books!

A Tattoo. This is tricky too, but instead of getting a darling's name on the derriere, get his or her face tattooed. In case of fear of long-term commitment, some of those temporary tattoos from Fiesta could be the solution.

Love Crystals. These are beautiful symbols of the spirituality of love. They bring good luck, too. They're cheap, so grab a handful. These are good, too, if a little love triangle is in the scene.

And finally – Incense. It smells good, it has sexy names (Desire, Foreplay) and it’s only $1.50 at the liquor store.

Those with cash have some interesting options, too.

Balloons. Forget those tacky ones from Kroger. Try balloons filled with confetti and a personal love message. They come in bunches of 10 for about $300.

Love Potion. For around $250, a love potion will spellbind that special valentine.

A Star – a real one. Johnny Depp bought Winona Ryder one. I'm not sure where to buy it, but name it after your sweet "thang" and it should stay out there in the heavens for a long time.

Skywriting. This is romantic, but what about Houston weather?

For moguls who like to rent things – Billboard. Only $1000 per day on most major Houston freeways.

Of course, there is always the easy way of buying a card and having a stranger say "I Love You." But with modern technology, it is quite simple to go to the Hallmark or American Greetings Create-A-Card booths and create a card. Hallmark's new talking cards might also be a new idea for that never-satisfied valentine.

However, try not to resort to a last-minute effort with construction paper, tacky heart stickers and glue.

ROMANTIC SPOTS

by Thomas Hewett

Love is in the air.

With today being Valentine's Day, it appears some UH students get enveloped in the lovesick atmosphere that drifts through the campus this time every year.

According to some students, there are a few popular spots on campus where lovers can get better acquainted with one another – literally.

"My drinking friend and I like to go out into the parking lot (by the Quadrangle) often," said Brett Ginsler, a junior biochemistry major.

Some students do not think of the campus as a place to find romance and there are many students on campus who have not found a mate.

"(UH) is just not a romantic place for me," said Nazie Tabrizi, a senior graphics major.

However, some students have discovered some creative places to be romantic.

"There are the water fountains over by the (Ezekiel) Cullen building," said Jennifer Thuy Pham, a junior psychology major." You can go there and sit; get away from civilization."

The campus can also be rather romantic late at night when everyone has gone home and the classrooms are empty.

"There's something about computer labs – they create a certain ambience," said Nima Ghedami, a senior creative writing major.

Even though there are a few romantic spots on campus, romance seems to spring up in the most unexpected places.

"One night, I pulled in front of this parked car (near the Moody Towers)," said Ryan Carssow, a junior journalism major, and "these two heads popped up in the back seat."

Make-out spots on campus:

•On the bleachers in Robertson Stadium gazing at a full moon.

•In the Roy Cullen Building while reading Shakespeare's <I>Romeo and Juliet<P>.

•In the Fine Arts Building courtyard while listening to Mozart.

•In Shasta's former kennel in Lynn Eusan Park.

•In Fleming, the chemistry building, after mixing a love potion.

FLEDGLING GROUP TARGETS ETHIOPIA

The Ethiopian Community Association, a national organization established in 1992, has a goal: to inform the public of the United States’ foreign policy toward Ethiopia.

It's a foreign policy the group claims is supporting a Marxist regime and contributing to the oppression of Ethiopians.

"We are trying to expose the American foreign policy and that there might be bias (to such an extent as to assume), ‘Africans don’t need democracy,’ " said Bemnet Dante, philosophy senior.

He said the Clinton policy is protecting a government that is in violation of human rights, citing an Africa Watch report. Africa Watch is a human rights watchdog organization that services the African continent.

ECA made its most emphatic protest on Feb. 7, when President Clinton attended a Democratic Party fund-raiser in Houston at the Wortham Center.

"Clinton’s policy is no different from (Bush’s) and no president’s policy after him will be different," said Thomas DeGregori, a UH professor of economics, who specializes in African and Asian affairs.

"It is quite clear that the government (of Ethiopia) is trying to find a way to integrate while maintaining some sort of cultural identity," he said, referring to the past government’s policy of tribal segregation.

The ECA believes the current government is guilty of the same segregation.

"The present government is ethnically based," Dante said.

But DeGregori sees it somewhat differently, "It’s a complex issue and the fact that they are making this simplistic argument makes me very skeptical of (the ECA)," he said.

DeGregori said he considers the current government to be a vast improvement on the last despotic regime.

COMPTROLLER COMMENTS ON CIVIC DUTY

by Holly Smith

Life in politics was the focal point of a discussion led by City Comptroller George Greanias at the UH Hilton Thursday.

Greanias, an honorary member of Delta Sigma Pi, the event's host, shared some insights into political life and offered advice to those considering seeking public office.

"One of the first lessons I learned in politics is that you've got to get in line," said Greanias about his first venture into the political realm.

In 1979, he ran for one of nine City Council district seats created when the Department of Justice found the Houston City Council in violation of the Voting Rights Act. Greanias said he was initially depressed because he realized people who would love to support him couldn't because they felt obligated to support incumbents.

An organized base of support is also very important if a candidate is to be successful. Support can be classified as either financial, organizational or in terms of votes, he said.

"You can't go out and immediately get a base of support. It doesn't have to be large, but it is extremely important and must be cultivated over a period of time," said Greanias, who had no base when he ran in his first election. Although he didn't make it to the runoff, he made contacts during the course of the election and began to develop a constituency, thereby securing his place in line.

Greanias discussed Houston's political community and the opportunities at all levels for those who want to get involved. He points to a lack of trustworthy and reliable talent as a reason to urge people to get involved in some capacity.

"If you look at Houston's political community, you would be amazed how few real political activists there are for a city this size. You could spend your free time doing various political things and become quite effective and quite influential. It is very much a labor-intensive thing. You don't need a lot of start-up capital, and the opportunities are enormous."

"Politics," says Greanias, "is not magical at all. Politics is just basic common sense, diligence, organization and especially persistence."

Greanias said that over the last couple of years, as a political figure, he has become a lot less cautious.

"Before, I always wanted to make sure that whatever I did, I was going to win. Now I have developed a new attitude, which is doing what you think is right and letting the chips fall where they may. This attitude has made me happier and I think I'm surviving better than I was a year or two ago."

SA FUNDS FROZEN PENDING SFAC PROBE

Students' Association funds have been frozen by the Student Fee Advisory Committee while it investigates SA finances.

Allegations revealed last week a possible conflict of interest concerning a Students' Association expenditure of $150, sparking the investigation.

The money was spent to print the SA logo on Sigma Phi Epsilon's annual Kamikaze T-shirts. The controversy arose from the fact that SA President Jason Fuller is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

SFAC Chairman Rodger Peters will conduct an audit of SA's entire budget and said this type of investigation has never been done before.

Speaker of the Senate Coy Wheeler said SA finances have been frozen until the investigation is completed.

Fuller said last week that he would not have allowed the expenditure if he had seen any hint of a conflict of interest.

"It's not a way of funnelling money into my fraternity. I have nothing to do with the finances or the programming of my fraternity," he said last week.

The original approval came from Campus Activities. Angie Milner, SA's director of public relations, requested the money for Sigma Phi Epsilon's Kamikaze T-shirts.

Consuelo Trevino, director of Campus Activities, said last week that there appeared to be a conflict of interest over the expenditure.

Trevino said she had hoped Fuller would try to get his fraternity to reimburse SA.

Peters said the investigation will be wrapped up at the end of this week after SFAC finishes conducting interviews and hearings on "logogate."

"It doesn't look like anyone has done anything legally wrong --ethically though, it is wrong," Peters said.

Peters refused to say much about the details of the investigation until SFAC is ready to release its findings.

"I think it needs to be investigated by an outside source. SA needs to be removed from this," Wheeler said. "I know they will handle it properly."

Wheeler said he does not think the problem has come to light as a politically motivated attack.

Fuller disagreed, saying his enemies have made sure this came up at SA election time.

He said he does not want to be like Ross Perot, thinking that "they are all out to get me," but he believes some SA members are behind the problem becoming public.

"I know there is nothing to find. Any student organization should come under the advice and scrutiny of SFAC," Fuller said, adding that he has confidence the SFAC findings will completely exonerate him.

"We can go ahead and get the record straight," Fuller said.

Today's SA meeting promises to be interesting because SFAC's investigation is sure to be a major topic of discussion, Fuller said.

"These people do like to hear themselves talk," Fuller said.

JOBS, U2, BBQ, OPERA

Christy's Campus

Too bad the Mardi Gras party has to come to an end. The big party weekend just slides right into Valentine's Day and the beginning of a new week. Granted, school is not quite the same as drinking beer and begging for beads, but at least you’re not stuck on a dead campus. There's plenty happening this week. Get involved with your campus. There is more to this place than just books.

<B>Today<P>

•Campus job recruitment, 10 a.m. in the Career Planning and Placement Center.

•If you are an HRM, business, communications or drama major and you are looking for a summer job, listen up! Walt Disney World is presenting a co-op seminar for people interested in interviewing for a job. Meet in the Shamrock Room 261, in the Hilton Hotel.

•Have lunch with your special someone. It's Valentines Day! Give your honey a big smooch and let them know you care.

<B>Tuesday Feb. 15<P>

•The UNITED WE STAND–UH CHAPTER presents its next program titled "Pizzas and Pie Charts" today at 11:30 a.m. in the UC’s Spindletop Room. Government and Economics do go beyond the boundaries of the classroom. If you don't even know what the Federal Deficit is, this would be a good way to find out! You might even win free pizza.

<B>Wednesday Feb. 16<P>

•Swing by the Health Fair from 11 a.m.—3 p.m. in the Cougar Den.

•Hey Batter, Batter, Batter, Swing Batter! UH Baseball kicks off a doubleheader at 1 p.m. against UT-San Antonio. Come root for our 7-1 Coogs.

•How does Pink Floyd and U2 sound to you? Check out the Laser Rock Show in the Houston Room tonight. It's the real thing, just like the Planetarium, but it only costs $1! The show starts at 7 p.m. This is always a wild party, so don't miss out!

•If a laser rock show doesn't do it for you, come out to Hofheinz and cheer on the Lady Cougars. The game starts at 7 p.m. Go Coogs! Beat the Aggies!

<B>Thursday Feb. 17<P>

•At 7 p.m. in the Hilton Grand Ballroom, Film director Robert Rodriguez will speak on "The Making of <I>El Mariachi<P>." Admission is free.

<B>Friday Feb. 18<P>

•Yeeha! It's Go Texan Day in the University Center! Bring your hat, boots and appetite. There will be BBQ, beverages and prizes!

•If you prefer something slightly more cultured than BBQ, the University Opera Theatre will present <I>The Consul<P>. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Cullen Performance Hall.

FIGHTING FOLLOWS RAIDERS TO HOFHEINZ

COLLISION-TURNED-VIOLENT GETS SASSER SUSPENDED, KEEPS SWC OFFICE BUSY

There was a lot more to Houston's 76-64 knockdown decision over the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Saturday in Hofheinz Pavilion.

A fight to the finish it was.

Ding!

With the score at 69-62 in the Cougars' favor after a punctuation slam-dunk by Houston forward Tim Moore with just 39 seconds left to go in the game, the Raiders tried to get a quick score.

They missed and Cougar junior forward Jessie Drain went up for a rebound and was flagrantly fouled in the back by Jason Sasser.

After Drain fell to the ground, Sasser called Drain some profanities and began kicking him. As referees came in to break the two up, Sasser continued to kick Drain.

Sasser was given a technical foul that put Drain and senior guard Anthony Goldwire at the free-throw line.

Drain and Goldwire made three of the four shots, giving Houston a 72-62 lead.

"(Tech) was just trying to get up in my face and intimidate me," Drain said. "If we have to play them again in the Southwest Conference tournament, we're not gonna back down if this happens again."

Under NCAA rules, Sasser must be suspended for one game and will miss Tech's next game against the Southern Methodist Mustangs on Wednesday.

Sasser, in a written statement given to the media by Texas Tech Sports Information Director Kelly Robinson, said, "I take full responsibility for my actions. I was frustrated about the way I played and I overreacted to the situation.

"It was all my fault for not getting away from the situation and I apologize for my actions."

Raiders head coach James Dickey frowned upon his player's conduct.

"Jason had no business being involved in that situation," he said. "We want our players to play hard and compete, but there is no place for that in a game."

It was the second time in a week that an on-court skirmish had accompanied a Red Raider ballgame.

On Feb. 5, several Tech fans in Lubbock's Municipal Coliseum expressed their displeasure after an 89-88 Raiders loss to Texas A&M.

When the Aggies were walking off the court, those fans provoked a scuffle with A&M players and head coach Tony Barone.

SWC commissioner Steve Hatchell issued reprimands to Texas Tech and Barone, who was criticized for not taking his players out immediately rather than confronting the fans. Dickey and Barone were also reprimanded for arguing the officials' calls, which decided the outcome of the game.

Now, it seems, Hatchell will once again have to play judge.

COOGS MUSCLE PAST TECH 76-64

With a near-perfect first half, the Houston Cougars were able to do just enough in the second to pull out an impressive 76-64 victory over Texas Tech Saturday in Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars finally played a game in which they were superb on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Houston (4-16, 2-7 Southwest Conference) shot a season-high 52 percent from the floor and held the league's hottest shooting team to a paltry 37-percent performance.

However, Houston head coach Alvin Brooks said the aggressive defense was what really sealed the victory for the Cougars.

"Our defense won the game for us," Brooks said. "And our offense just fed off our defense and that's why we shot so well."

Trailing 56-53 following a Tech layup by freshman forward Gionet Cooper, the Cougars tied it on a 3-pointer by freshman guard Willie Byrd.

After forward Tim Moore sank both free throws in a one-and-one situation to give Houston a 60-58 lead with just over four minutes remaining, the Cougars never looked back again.

UH went on an 18-6 run, keyed by pressure free throws and tough defense, to seal the contest.

"The way we looked was the way we played," said Tech junior guard Lance Hughes. "Houston really took it to us."

Hughes was held to only six points on the afternoon after coming into the game averaging 18.6.

"From the get-go I just couldn't get it going," Hughes said. "I didn't see any opportunities to get any shots off."

With the fine first half, the Cougars took a 38-26 lead with them into the locker room.

They shot an eye-popping 57 percent and were led by Moore's 15 points and senior guard Anthony Goldwire's eight. They both finished with 23 and 11 points, respectively.

The tough defense became evident when Hughes was held scoreless at the midway mark.

Raiders sophomore forward Jason Sasser didn't do much either. The SWC's leading scorer was only 2-of-6 from the field in the first half with just five points. He finished the afternoon with 13.

In all, the Red Raiders were just 8-of-22 from the floor (36 percent) and were 0-of-8 from beyond the arc at the midway point.

"At halftime (coach Brooks told us) we were playing great defense," said junior forward Jessie Drain. "But at the beginning of the second half, we started letting up."

Indeed, Tech (10-10, 5-4) came out strong and was fueled by a 17-2 run that gave the Raiders a 43-40 lead just over six minutes into second-half action.

"I think it was the first time that we had a double-digit lead going into halftime," Brooks said. "The guys couldn't handle that and it may have led them to let up a little bit."

But the game continued to stay close as neither team could take control until the Cougars began to pull away after Byrd's 3-pointer.

What may have sealed Houston's victory, however, was a personal and technical foul assessed to Sasser, who fouled Drain on a rebound. After words were exchanged, Sasser began kicking Drain and the referees jumped in.

The Cougars converted three of the four freebies at the line for a 72-62 advantage and the Raiders never stood a chance the rest of the way.

"I thought our run in the second half was the only time in the game where we did what we needed to do against their defense," Tech coach James Dickey said.

"(Houston) came back the rest of the way and you have to give them credit."

RAINBOW PRODUCTION GOOD 'ENUF' TO BE AMONG THE BEST

by Pam Griffin

Clad in rainbow-colored dresses, a collage of seven black women explodes on the stage with color and emotion.

<I>For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf<P> is an extraordinary choreo-poem exploring the inner lives of black women.

Seemingly encompassing every emotion and experience a woman has ever had, the rousing poetry and prose deliver a poignant message for black women with an undercurrent message to all women and men of every race.

First seen 20 years ago at a nightclub in San Francisco, the play showed two years later at New York's Public Theater before going on to a 742-performance Broadway run from 1976-77.

<I>Colored Girls<P> playwright Ntozake Shange is in Houston to direct The Ensemble's new production of the play. Shange said she wants people to see it freshly. She replaced the dresses of traditional primary rainbow colors with a new vibrant rainbow and reassigned parts of the script to utilize the cast better.

Although <I>Colored Girls<P> is considered a period piece, it is not dated by any measure. Many of the issues presented in the play are confronted by contemporary women.

In prose and verse, the themes are played out in a series of narrative pieces by characters identified by the color of their dresses: Woman in Blue, Woman in Yellow, etc.

Themes range from the abandonment of girlhood dreams to sexual initiation to the severity of urban street life. Issues such as acquaintance rape, abortion rights and abuse of women and children are confronted.

Two of the more graphically compelling scenes are LaJuano Brown's soliloquy about abortion and Jean Donatto's description of family violence.

Cynical humor interspersed throughout the play serves as a buffer to the harsh realities of their lives.

From the compelling opening scene to the final dramatic climax, all seven women deliver an engrossing performance transforming fear and pain into courage and passion.

<I>For Colored Girls

Who Have Considered

Suicide When

the Rainbow Is Enuf<P>

When: March 6, 1994

Where: The Ensemble Theatre, 3535 Main Street

Telephone: 520-0055

Cost: $10-$17

GOLFERS 'FOR REAL' IN MEXICO

The Houston golf team's second-place finish Saturday at the International Intercollegiate in Monterrey, Mexico, sent a strong message to its prospective opponents – "We're for real."

The Cougars shot a 3-over-par 867, finishing two shots behind tournament champion Brigham Young (865) and four strokes ahead of Baylor (871) at the par 72 Club Campestre Golf Club.

Houston's Dean Larsson claimed the individual championship with a superb 5-under-par performance and a three-round card of 70-71-70.

Larsson, an Australian native, is playing the best golf of his career and, with this victory, has solidified his role as team ace.

He was followed by Eric Bogar, who finished tied for sixth with a 1-under-par 215.

Other Cougars included Brad Montgomery (tied for 19th place, 220), Anders Hansen (26th, 221) and Mark Franklin (tied 46th, 229).

Houston has a month off before its next tournament, March 11—13 at the Golf Digest Collegiate Invitational at The Woodlands.