DREAMS EXPLORED

by Thomas Hewett

Remember the dream about going to school naked? Or how about waking up in a panic because you've just dreamed about sleeping through your final exams? From running through a dark tunnel of evil monsters to leaping tall buildings in a single bound, every human experiences dreams – and a UH group has a way to learn more about them.

Students can find out exactly what their dreams mean at the "Dreams, Soul Travel and Reincarnation" weekly sessions presented by the UH Eckankar Student Satsang Society and Houston Eckankar clergy.

"Dreams tell us a lot about ourselves," said Bud Mayr, of the Eckankar (religion of the light and sound of God) clergy. "They are a window to travel, a mechanism."

The sessions focus on learning techniques for dream recall, the relationship between dreams and reincarnation, and how to work through past-life patterns using spiritual exercises.

The classes are also studying <I>The Dream Master<P>, written by Sri Harold Klemp, Living Eckankar Master.

According to Mayr, humans can learn to control their dreams.

"When I was a little kid, I used to have flying dreams," Mayr said. "I learned to handle my dreams and have fun playing with them."

Not all people experience pleasant adventures, but one can control nightmares as well, he said.

"Nightmares usually tell me that there is a lesson to be learned," Mayr said. "I don't fear nightmares. I found that it was up to me to deal with it and change it to a better situation – something positive."

Dreams relate very much to reincarnation, which is still a popular belief, he said.

"The bottom line is you either believe in (reincarnation) or you don't," Mayr said. "Unless you have had a past-life recall or had a dream experience pointing to it, then it won't really mean anything to you."

Students and faculty from all religious denominations are invited to attend the sessions, said Dan Gomez, Eckankar clergy.

"We're excited about setting off on this spiritual adventure," Gomez said. "We'll be exploring truthful, candid stories of how human beings can scale the heights of spiritual mastery."

The next session is Tuesday from 7-8:30 p.m. in the UC Atlantic Room. The sessions will continue through March 15, every Tuesday evening.

The sessions are free of charge, Gomez said.

*******************************************************

UH-D GRAD'S JOB TAKES HIM UH-D

by Christian Messa

Imagine cruising through the sky in a T-45 Goshawk jet at Mach .83, just under the speed of sound, when the radar picks up enemy aircraft bearing down on you.

Glancing at readings projected onto the cockpit window in front of you, you correct your altitude for a proper angle of attack. Heartbeat racing, you catch an enemy plane in your sights and ....

Sound a little like the plot from <I>Top Gun<P>?

Such images are familiar to Marine 1st Lt. Charles Bagnato, a 1991 graduate of UH-Downtown who majored in criminal justice.

Bagnato, 28, is stationed at the Naval Air Station in Kingsville where he is one of only 10 naval aviators selected for flight training in the latest aircraft in aviation technology – the T-45 Goshawk.

According to a statement on Bagnato's selection made by an armed services official, the T-45 replaces the older T-2 Buckeye and TA-4 Skyhawk. It will save taxpayers money by combining strike training into just one platform, thereby training Navy pilots in less time and at a lower cost in flight hours. Quick and agile, the T-45 has an onboard recording system that gives immediate video and voice reconstruction for better flight debriefings.

Bagnato said the right timing gave him the opportunity to train in the T-45. "I was in the right place at the right time," he said.

Bagnato recently began training in the T-45, and has logged time in a flight simulator – 45 hours thus far. His schedule consists of training five days a week, between 12 to 15 hours a day. This training consists not only of learning to fly the T-45, but also learning flight rules and regulations.

Bagnato described some of the T-45's characteristics, from its speed to its Heads-Up Display system. The HUD system consists of a camera that projects – at a 90-degree angle in front of the pilot – such information as heading, air speed, altitude, the proper angle of attack and rates of ascent and descent. Bagnato said the T-45 can be pushed past Mach .83, but its speed is kept under that rate for safety reasons.

Compared with the T-2, the T-45 flies "faster, straight and (more) level than the T-2," he said.

Bagnato graduated from St. Thomas High School in 1983, and at age 17, joined the Marines.

While on active duty for five years, Bagnato was stationed in such places as South America and Hong Kong.

Bagnato does not expect to leave the Marines any time soon. "I plan on staying in the Marine Corps until I'm too old," he said.

Bagnato said his training should be completed in less than a year.

COUGARS SPLIT TWIN BILL

The nemesis returned to Cougar Field Wednesday.

The Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners (5-1) split a doubleheader with Houston (8-2). The Cougars took the first scheduled seven-inning game 3-2 in eight innings, but UTSA never let Houston get close in a 7-3 second game defeat.

"It is so sad that (UTSA) has never seen us play well," Houston head coach Bragg Stockton said of the team that has a 3-3 all-time record against UH. "They are an average-to-below average Division I team."

In the first game, Cougar starter Bo Hernandez gave up four hits and one unearned run in six strong innings. Hernandez was coming off a shoulder injury.

"Bo was a bright spot," Stockton said. "He didn't throw but probably 60 pitches."

UTSA starter Jeff Hutzler, who impressed scouts with his 89 mph fastball, matched Hernandez through the first five innings.

Houston was down 2-0 in the seventh when Carlos Perez led off the inning with a double off reliever Phil Larson. Dustin Carr pinch-ran for Perez and scored on pinch hitter Chris Scott's single.

Shane Buteaux knocked in Scott with a single to tie the game at two and send it to extra innings.

Chris Aguilar led off the bottom of the eighth with a single, advanced to second base on a J.J. Matzke sacrifice bunt and scored the winning run on Scott's second RBI single of the game.

"I don't start much, but when coach calls on me, I gotta be clutch," said Scott, who accounted for all three Cougar runs.

Buteaux pitched a scoreless top of the eighth for his first win.

In the second game, pitchers Jeff Schneider, Ryan Walter, David Hamilton and Jason Dixon gave up a combined six runs in the first 3 1/3 innings.

Kevin Boyd slowed the Roadrunners down for three innings, but the UH batters were held to six hits and three runs.

Schneider received the loss.

HOUSTON BASKETBALL HALVES A & M

AGGIES HUFF AND PUFF, BLOW UH DOWN

The Texas A&M Aggies have won the majority of their Southwest Conference games by the hair of their chinny chin chin. Wednesday's 93-87 victory over the Houston Cougars (4-17 overall, 2-8 in SWC) in A&M's G. Rollie White Coliseum was no exception.

The Aggies (15-6, 8-1) withstood a valiant 31-point performance by Houston senior guard Anthony Goldwire and a strong 24-point outing by sophomore forward Tim Moore.

In order for A&M to pull off the victory, they were literally forced to play one of their best games of the year against a fired-up, red-hot Cougars ballclub.

Houston enjoyed its second consecutive game in which they shot over 50-percent from the field. The Cougars improved on their season-high 52-percent performance against Tech with a 61-percent outing against the Aggies.

The real difference in the game, however, was that A&M made 28-of-34 free throws and Houston made only 11.

"That's a huge imbalance," said Houston coach Alvin Brooks. "I thought we got pushed and shoved a lot and we just didn't get our fair share of calls."

With a 74-63 lead following a free throw by Aggies senior guard David Edwards, A&M could not seem to put the Cougars away the rest of the way.

Together Goldwire and Moore scored 23 of Houston's last 27 points as both players continued to go inside with fancy moves to the basket.

"We were taking it to the basket and still not getting calls," Brooks said.

Both teams came out strong in the first half. A&M, taking a 43-39 halftime lead, shot 68 percent from the floor while the Cougars put it up at a 59-percent clip.

Houston led the ballgame much of the way as it held a 20-19 advantage at the 11-minute mark.

The Aggies, however, answered and eventually took the lead, 21-20. A&M's first lead was the start of a 7-0 run that gave it a 28-23 lead with 7:21 left to play in the half.

COUGARS SHAKE UP AGGIES 74-63

It was supposed to be easy for the Lady Aggies.

After all, they were 16-4, leading the Southwest Conference with an 8-1 record. The Lady Cougars, at 8-11, 3-6, were supposed to be building for the future with talented underclassmen.

Ask the Aggies if it was easy.

The Cougars built a 38-27 halftime lead behind stifling half-court defense and went on to a 74-63 victory at Hofheinz Pavilion Wednesday night.

"We just didn't play well," Aggies coach Lynn Hickey said. "We beat them by 30 points in our building, so I expected to have an advantage."

Freshman Pat Luckey led the Cougars with 19 points. But the story was their half-court trap, which had the highly-touted front court of the Aggies struggling mightily.

"We wanted to make it hard for their small guards to pass over to their big players. If they get it inside the paint, you're dead. They've got great touch," head coach Jessie Kenlaw said.

Kenlaw said the Cougars intended to focus on the Aggies' trio of Lisa Branch, Martha McClelland, and Kelly Cerney. Those players finished a combined 7-of-19 from the floor for 24 points.

Another astounding statistic was the Cougars' season-high 56 rebounds against a much bigger team. Though A&M boasts better height and weight numbers on the front line than Houston, the Cougars seemed much quicker and more determined than the Lady Aggies.

"It was rebounds and mistakes that killed us," Hickey said. "That equals effort and concentration, and it wasn't there tonight."

The Aggies had 20 turnovers, 12 in the first half, as the Cougars continually denied them the ball inside. Texas A&M was only 2-of-6 on layups in the first half, despite having three players 6-4 or taller.

On whether the Aggies (who fell to 16-5, 8-2) hurt their chances for a SWC title, Hickey would not say. "There's so much parity in the conference, it's hard to know right now. I'd say Texas Tech has the advantage, playing at home."

Tech and A&M play at Lubbock on the last day of the regular season.

SOME FILMS ARE JUST WEIRD

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Did you ever wake up one morning and just feel like doing something really weird?

The filmmakers responsible for this week's movies must have shared that exact same emotion, only for an extended amount of time.

I have chosen to call this grouping the "Just Plain Weird" Film Festival, but one shouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that this means these films aren't any good.

On the contrary, some are very good indeed; they're just not very normal.

Let's begin with one of my personal favorites, <I>Strange Brew<P>, starring Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas as their <I>SCTV<P> alter-egos Bob and Doug McKenzie.

More than one person has complained to me that they just don't get this movie, to which I always reply, "And?"

Granted, the plot concerning an evil brewer's attempt to take over the world through drugged beer is a little far-fetched, but who watches this movie for the plot?

From beginning to end, this is a funny movie. And if you don't agree, then take off, you hoser!

Next up is an even more bizarre movie, one you may have never heard of called <I>The Magic Christian<P>.

This film stars Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr as an eccentric multimillionaire and the homeless hippie he adopts as his son, respectively.

The plot concerns Sellers' efforts to prove his theory that people will do just about anything for money.

It may be a little hard to follow the first time, so I would suggest repeated viewings until you get it down pat. Keep in mind this is British "humour," so Americans are supposed to be confused by it at first.

If you still don't get it after the second viewing, then at least you'll know why it made this list of weird movies.

Next up is the recent <I>Mom and Dad Save the World<P>.

My friend and I have a running argument about whether or not this is the funniest movie we have ever seen, or the worst movie we have ever seen.

Our compromise decision is that it's so funny because it is so bad.

The film stars John Lovitz as Emperor Tod Spengo of the planet Spengo. Lovitz is hilarious in the role of the evil, arrogant, narcissistic ruler of a planet he renamed after himself, a role that seems tailor-made for him.

<I>Mom and Dad<P> is written by the same people who wrote the Bill and Ted movies, so that should be some hint as to the intelligence level of the dialogue.

Lastly, there's <I>A Clockwork Orange<P>.

At first it may appear that a drama like <I>A Clockwork Orange<P> doesn't belong with all these comedies, but I've never really been able to take this movie seriously.

Director Stanley Kubrick is a gifted filmmaker, and I've never been anything but impressed with most of his work, but this movie is just plain weird!

Malcolm MacDowell stars in this grim look at a future society filled with uncontrollable gangs engaging in a "little of the ultra-violence."

So what makes it difficult to take <I>A Clockwork Orange<P> seriously? Basically, this movie has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever.

It doesn’t seem to be warning us that the society depicted on screen is our inevitable future, but instead concentrates on telling its story within this setting. No moral lessons, just good, clean fun!

And for those of us who have always wondered, or even the newly curious, the title <I>A Clockwork Orange<P> is an old Cockney saying that means "something broken beyond repair."

Pretty weird, huh?

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student studying history and government.

REGENTS OK TUITION HIKE, SOUTH AFRICA

by Meagan McGovern

The University of Houston will raise tuition again next semester, establish a new music building, adopt a new code of ethics for intercollegiate athletics, and be allowed to do business with South Africa, according to recommendations made at Wednesday’s Board of Regents meeting.

The board approved a request to repeal a 1987 resolution that asked the University of Houston System and its officers not to do business with South Africa. In "recognition of recent events in South Africa," the board went along with such universities as the University of California and Wesleyan University in repealing the old resolution.

There was no discussion of the item in public session, although a system spokeswoman said there was no immediate reason for the action.

Tuition will be raised to $28 from $26 per credit hour for in-state tuition next semester. The Texas Legislature raised the fee during its latest session, and the Board of Regents approved it. Non-resident tuition will become $171 per credit hour, from $162. The money will bring in an additional $1.8 million in revenue.

The board adopted a policy for intercollegiate athletics that "is committed to a philosophy of institutional control of athletics, to the unquestioned academic and financial integrity of our athletics program, and to the accountability of the athletics department to the values and goals befitting higher education." The policy includes clauses that state student-athletes must demonstrate every term that they will graduate within five years of enrolling, and that student-athletes in each sport will be graduated in the same proportions as non-athletes.

UH currently has one of the lowest graduation rates in the country for student-athletes.

The board also submitted final plans for a new music building and approved the purchase of an integrated library computer system, to upgrade the system the libraries on campus currently use.