SPOILERS PITTED IN WACO SHOWDOWN

This week, there were two major upsets in women's basketball. Both of the spoilers from those games meet in Waco for a 7 p.m. tip-off Saturday night at the Ferrell Center.

The Lady Cougars (9-11 overall, 4-6 in Southwest Conference) upset SWC leader Texas A&M Wednesday night at Hofheinz Pavilion 74-63.

Baylor (13-9, 4-6) defeated Texas, second in the SWC, 81-75 that same night at home.

The first time Baylor and Houston met, things were a little different.

The Cougars were 5-8, had not won a SWC game and were in the middle of a six-game losing streak.

Then they played Baylor (8-6, 1-2 at the time) at Hofheinz and earned their first conference win in a 78-68 beating of the Bears.

Since then, the Cougars have played spotty, getting only two wins. But what wins they were.

The Cougars beat Texas Christian 112-73 Feb. 9 at home, the fifth highest scoring output in Houston women's basketball history. And then of course there is the win against A&M.

"Every win should mean a lot, but there are some that mean a lot more," said freshman forward Pat Luckey, who scored 19 points against the Aggies.

The Cougars are going to be taking a lot of momentum with them to Baylor.

"I'm very excited," said head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "I'm very pleased with the effort and the intensity we showed.

"It (the win) does a lot for our momentum, coming off of A&M, which we need. It's hard to play at Baylor."

The Bears are led by Mary Lowry, who is second in the SWC in scoring, hitting 22.4 points a game. She also ranks third in steals and assists.

Halley Bradley is first in the SWC with a 48 percent 3-point average and Kristin Mayberry is third.

Lowry could be a thorn in the Cougars' paw.

"We need to contain Mary Lowry; she is the catalyst of that team," Kenlaw said.

The Cougars have other concerns as well. Kenlaw said she is worried about the Baylor transition game, but believes it can be controlled.

"We need the ball for our game to work," she said. "Hopefully, we can continue to crash the boards."

Against the Aggies, the Cougars had a season-high 56 rebounds. This against a team that has five players at 6-3 or taller.

*******************************************************

PROF SAYS MAKE DEALS, NOT WAR

by Holly Smith

Negotiation, not air strikes, is the key to peace in Bosnia, said one UH political science professor who specializes in Eastern European affairs.

In an interview Wednesday, Professor Joseph Nogee related his views regarding United States and European involvement, NATO's deadline, and the effect air strikes might have.

Nogee said pressure from the U.S. and European governments exerted on those on all sides of the conflict may be the best way to reach a rapprochement. He said a settlement will not be perceived as a just one from either the Muslim or Bosnian points of view.

"The whole purpose of the NATO ultimatum was to put pressure on all sides to negotiate an end to the fighting. You must keep in mind that the ultimatum applies not just to the Serbs, but also to Muslims," said Nogee, who added nobody wants to see the conflict escalate.

The U.S. government has agreed to give Serbian national forces some leeway in meeting the NATO ultimatum that required they either remove heavy weapons placed strategically around Sarajevo or surrender weapons to U.N. officials. This new agreement allows the Bosnian Serbs to keep some weapons under the condition these are unloaded and not aimed at Sarajevo. NATO would still have the right to authorize a strike should any of these weapons be fired.

Nogee said, "The fact of the matter is that there are many questions that will come up as to whether or not the Serbs are complying. What they are trying to do is to give the Serbs as much leeway as possible so that they can be in compliance, even if they aren't physically transferring the weapons." He said demobilization would essentially achieve the same effect and thereby make the air strikes unnecessary.

Nogee said he thinks no countries will intervene in a major military way, and that air strikes are probably going to be initiated only if there is a flagrant violation of the terms of the agreement. He said eventually the war will end under some kind of condition.

Another attack, such as the one that killed 68 people in Sarajevo's central market, would certainly be a violation that would constitute an air strike, but Nogee said he doesn't see that happening.

Nogee said, "There have been recorded instances where Muslims have fired into Muslim territory in order to provoke a response. This is a very risky and dangerous tactic. Also, it has never been established who sent that mortar into the marketplace last week."

U.N. investigators have not determined who was responsible for the marketplace attack.

Nogee said fighting on some scale may continue until negotiations appear to be a better option.

"It is basically going to be the point where the Muslims are convinced that the best deal they can get is by negotiating an end.

"It won't be one that is satisfactory from all sides, but it should be a reasonable settlement that would leave the Bosnians with a viable self-governing entity," said Nogee, who says it was a mistake for Europe and the United States to recognize the independence of Bosnia-Herzegovina before it had established its viability as a state. He said he doesn't believe the idea of a multi-ethnic Bosnia-Herzegovina is possible today, so there must be some division. The goal then should be to make that division as fair as possible, Nogee said.

FULLER SURVIVES 'LOGOGATE'; 2ND PROBE SET

The Student Fees Advisory Committee has completely "exonerated" Students' Association President Jason Fuller of any legal or ethical wrongdoing in the "logogate" debacle, but SFAC Chairman Rodger Peters said an investigation has been launched to look into other allegations concerning SA.

"If he (Fuller) is guilty of anything, he's guilty of a blatant disregard for the concerns of others involved in SA and that includes the Dean of Students and all of the Campus Activities advisers," Peters said.

Fuller disagreed with Peters' assertion that he did not follow the advice of others.

"That is incorrect and inaccurate. I have always had a special regard for their advice," Fuller said.

A new probe, however, focuses on other possibly illegal actions by SA members. Peters said he would release SFAC's findings Monday. However, SFAC's first probe of these actions has yielded nothing illegal.

Fuller said he was unhappy that a new investigation was launched.

Fuller questioned how many times he was going to be tried and said it "sort of smacks of double jeopardy."

Over the course of Fuller's SA presidency, he has faced a hailstorm of criticism, beginning with an incident in which he was accused, but found innocent, of hanging a banner that insulted homosexuals, down to his problems with "logogate."

Greg Propes, chairman of the Internal Affairs Committee, who conducted his own investigation into Fuller's activities, said last week that Fuller was "real good at covering his tracks."

"It's unfortunate that Greg has to feel that way. I knew I would survive this because the facts presented were enough to support my case," Fuller said.

Peters said a preliminary investigation clears Fuller of a conflict of interest over "logogate."

The scandal originated over an SA expenditure of $150 to put the SA logo on Sigma Phi Epsilon's Kamikaze T-shirts.

Fuller and Angie Milner, SA's director of public relations, said the expenditure was not a conflict of interest and was instead a way to reach out to the Greeks.

SFAC's special subcommittee also investigated an apparent theft of funds alleged to have occurred when a $1400 check for ads disappeared from Campus Activities.

"My butt's not on the line for that one. If they are trying to link me to that, we have got the best attorneys in the state. There's nothing there," Fuller said. "It's a red herring."

Peters said Fuller has been cleared of any wrongdoing over the missing check, but local law enforcement officials are investigating the matter.

SFAC's investigation also looked into the possible mismanagement of an SA executive retreat held at the Galvez Hotel.

Coy Wheeler, speaker of the senate, and Justin McMurtry, a senator from HFAC, both said they were upset over the cost of the retreat.

Propes said he cannot understand why they could not hold the retreat at the UH Hilton.

Wheeler said he feels SA has accomplished very little under Fuller's leadership.

"He has a complete lack of regard for anyone else's ideas. It's been a frustrating year. I have been in a salvage mode," said Wheeler, several weeks ago.

Fuller responded to Wheeler's attack by saying, "It's politics."

"He's trying to do what he can to get elected. Great things have been accomplished by my administration," Fuller said.

Both Wheeler and McMurtry have been vocal opponents of Fuller's handling of SA affairs. Wheeler has announced plans to run for SA president this year.

Peters said the retreat was not handled in an illegal or unethical manner by SA.

Other aspects of the probe looked into allegations that SA executives may have favored Boise Cascade, a company from which they purchase supplies, for the upgrade of SA offices.

The report found that SA had not shown any favoritism in buying supplies from only that company since Boise Cascade supplies material for many state agencies.

The investigation also explored the recent Texas Students' Association conference held at UH that left SA with a shortfall.

SFAC found that the debt was not incurred because of any ethical or legal wrongs by SA.

SA paid off the shortfall with profits made from the Cougar Card, Fuller said.

STUDENTS TOW THE LINE OR PAY THE FINE

Completely unable to defend itself, it hangs by its front end with its underside slightly exposed.

Horror washes over the owner as the car is slowly driven off by the tow truck. Running for what seems like an eternity to catch up with the truck, the concern quickly becomes one of rights.

Students, faculty and visitors may be towed for several reasons, including parking in a fire zone, loading zone, or in a handicapped or reserved space without authorization.

However, there are instances in which a car can be retrieved by the owner before it is irrevocably taken to the tow lot.

These new allowances were created by the Students' Association in the spring of 1993, working in conjunction with Parking and Transportation and approved by President James Pickering in the fall.

Students should be aware of what their rights are once they have been caught violating campus parking regulations.

"If the student shows up before the wheels have come off the ground, they will not be towed," said Gerald Hagan, director of Parking and Transportation. "But a citation may be issued (for the parking violation)."

However, the rules change once the car is hooked up to the tow truck and the wheels are off the ground.

"Because the school owes the contractor for the service, a charge is imposed," Hagan said. "They will drop the car and charge half of the towing fee, $20."

Finally, if the car is off the ground with the tow truck in motion, the owner will have to retrieve the vehicle from the tow lot located in parking lot 12A near the UH police station.

"Students will have to pay the (entire) $40 fee in this case," Hagan said.

Also, dropping a vehicle once the tow truck is moving is not possible because of safety reasons.

"(The tow truck) may be in the middle of traffic or in a crowded area, in which case the car cannot be dropped," he said.

Those who are towed should know that while a car will not be towed with a person in it, the car will still not be dropped if it was initially lifted, even if a student jumps into the car.

"Legally, we cannot move the car, but we don't want to encourage students to do that," he said.

If you do find that your car has been towed, reclaiming your property is simply a matter of making a phone call.

"The first thing you think when your car is not there is that it is stolen," Hagan said. "You can do two things. Either call Parking and Transportation, or go to the nearest call box, which is directly linked to UHPD."

"We can check to see if your car has been towed," a UHPD official said.

Once the vehicle has been verified as stolen, the ownership needs to be proven.

Though having a car towed is an unpleasant experience, Hagan said it is necessary.

"Some people say, 'I was only in there for five minutes,' but I tell them it could have been them in there having that heart attack," he said. "Emergency vehicles couldn't get to you because your car was in the way."

Citations for towed vehicles, in addition to the towing fee, range from $15 to $25 depending on the type of parking violation.

ROAD NOT WEARY FOR COUGARS

The road has been kind to Houston Cougar baseball this season.

Both of Houston's losses this season were at what's left of Cougar Field. On the road, the Cougars (8-2) swept a doubleheader from Stephen F. Austin and defeated McNeese State to give the Cougars a 3-0 road record.

Houston will return to Louisiana today for a three-game weekend series with the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (2-1).

Bulldog head coach Mike Kane played under UH head coach Bragg Stockton when Stockton coached at San Jacinto Junior College. Stockton said he believes the pupil will be prepared to face the teacher.

"They're tough up there," Stockton said. "Mike will have them pumped up."

Kane still looks up to his mentor.

"I credit (Stockton) for a lot of successes I've had," he said.

Houston will start Matt Beech, Brad Towns and Brian Hamilton in the three games. The three pitchers have been Houston's most dependable starters this season. They must be wary of Bulldog first baseman Charlie Jones, who was No. 6 nationally with 18 home runs last season.

Tech is without No. 3 starter Frankie Tays, who was put on the shelf with an elbow strain. Right-hander Kevin Howland will start the first game and lefty Joe Harris will start the second. Kane hasn't determined who will start the third game.

Kane said Howland is not a hard thrower, but he hits his spots and has good control. Harris is a pure power pitcher, he added.

The Cougars' two most pressing problems of late have been a lack of hitting and inconsistent relief pitching.

Houston's team batting average is .244 and only three starters are hitting more than .300.

"We've got some holes in the order," Stockton said. "We're not getting a lot out of certain holes in the lineup."

Most of the season, the relievers have recorded outs when they were called upon, but in the losses to Texas Wesleyan and Texas-San Antonio, they were hit hard and quickly pulled from the game.

Houston went through nine pitchers in the nine-inning loss to Wesleyan and six pitchers in seven innings in the UTSA game.

UH PLAYING ABOVE RECORD

It might be a little late, but

coming into Saturday's noon game against Baylor at Hofheinz Pavilion, the Cougars are playing their best basketball of the season.

A modest 2-2 record in their last four games won't attract the attention of too many pollsters, but considering Houston (4-17, 2-8 in the Southwest Conference) won only two of its first 17, there is reason to smile.

Anthony Goldwire has picked up his scoring at an alarming rate recently, with 31 points against Texas A&M and 29 at TCU. Unfortunately, both have been in losing efforts.

Forward Tim Moore has hit on 20 of 25 shots from the floor in his last two games, contributing to the Cougars' season-best 60.3 and 52.9 shooting percentages in those contests.

The Baylor Bears (14-8, 5-5) are not having a remarkable season either. They have dropped several close games that should have been won, and the ineligibility of four junior college players who were expected to contribute has certainly hurt the team.

But Baylor is still talented, led by junior guard Andre Branch, scoring 19.2 points a game, and monster inside presence Jerome Lambert (18.6 ppg, 14.8 rebounds per game).

The Cougars don't need to be reminded of Lambert's ability on the boards. The last time Houston played Baylor, the 6-8 junior set a school record with 25 rebounds, 12 on the offensive end.

CONSUL IS POLITICALLY INTRIQUING

by Amanda Swaty

The University of Houston Opera Theater, a part of the UH School of Music, will be presenting <I>The Consul <P> today and Saturday.

The Pulitzer prize-winning production by Carlos Gian Menotti enjoyed an extended run on Broadway.

The story revolves around the turbulence of oppression and the frustration induced through bureaucracy.

A woman whose husband is involved with an underground resistance movement tries desperately to flee to safety. In the process, her husband faces dangerous obstacles in attempting to obtain the necessary paperwork for her safe departure.

Tickets are available at the door and from the offices of the School of Music (Room 358 of the Fine Arts Building), but no telephone orders are being accepted.

Directed by Buck Ross and under the musical direction of Peter Jacoby, the production is a realistic, powerful story not to be missed.

<I>The Consul<P>

When: today and Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Cullen Performance Hall

Telephone: 743-3168

Cost: $7 general admission; $6 for faculty and staff; $5 for students and senior citizen