MEN UNDONE BY ''HONEST EFFORT'

Things looked good for the Cougar men's and women's track teams Friday night.

The men stood in second place and the women held the top spot after completing the first day of the Southwest Conference Indoor Championships at Will Rogers Memorial Coliseum in Fort Worth.

Heading into the final day, things went down from there.

After all the points were tabulated, both teams had finished fourth.

The men finished with 69 points behind champion Texas (100), Baylor (96) and Rice (77).

On the women's side, the top four teams finished in the same order as the men. Texas ruled with 107 points, then Baylor (91), Rice (90) and Houston (74).

The men were hurt by the disqualification of sprinter Sam Jefferson. He was disqualified under the "honest effort" rule.

While running the 200-meter preliminaries, Jefferson felt a twinge in his left hamstring and pulled up, not finishing the race. The meet referee, Shirley Crowe, then banned him from competing in the rest of the meet.

Before the meet, the officials had decided that "honest effort" meant finishing the race. Apparently, they failed to inform the coaches of this.

"I don't think the rule was made to do that," said head coach Tom Tellez. "He had an honest effort."

This ruling kept Jefferson from running in the 55 meters, an event he was favored to win.

Bright spots for the men included the performances of Ubeja Anderson and Paul Lupi.

Anderson finished first in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.23. Lupi was first in the half-mile, finishing in 1:50.45.

The women took home the gold in the 1,600-meter relay and the high jump.

The relay team, made up of De'Angelia Johnson, Drexel Long, Tiffany Ates and Cynthia Jackson, finished in 3:38.92.

Katrina Harris cleared the high jump bar at a height of 5-9 3/4. Edwina Ammonds came in second at 5-7 3/4.

*******************************************************

'BLACK ANGLOS' DYS-TANCE CULTURAL IDENTITY

by Tiffany Vaughner

In a lecture Thursday night, author and educator Julia Hare asked black students to "free (their) minds of the brainwashing that continues to plague (African Americans)."

In Hare's lecture, "The Mis-education of the Black Anglo-Saxon," she started by defining what a black Anglo-Saxon is.

"This tends to be a black person who dys-identifies with us, dys-identifies with black people and dys-identifies with the struggle. He doesn't want anything to do with it until he gets caught in a crack house or a jam and then runs back to us and starts charging racism and asks us to help him and looks at us very peculiarly when we ask,'But you said you didn't see a problem anywhere, so why are you coming back to us?' " Hare said.

Hare went on to say that African Americans who say they are not black people, but just people who happen to be black, are making their births sound like an accident instead of by design.

Hare also talked about what she called "crossover people"; people who seemed to have forgotten where they came from. She named businesspeople, politicians, media personalities and entertainers such as Tina Turner, Arsenio Hall and Bryant Gumbel as examples of crossover people.

"I went through Chicago last week and there was a sister who I had put in IBM about five years ago and she was still the only one, yet she was the chief of personnel, doing all the hiring and firing. I said, 'Why haven't you brought another brother or sister into this corporation right alongside you?' and she looked at me and said, 'I don't see race, I just see people.' Again, this is black Anglo-Saxonism," Hare said.

She said black Anglo-Saxons can also be found on university campuses. She said once some black faculty members get jobs or tenure, they become afraid to challenge the status quo or refuse to teach Afrocentric literature. She also said diversity and multiculturalism programs on campuses were brought to fruition not as away of bringing people of different ethnic origins together, but as a way of keeping minority groups pacified.

"The idea is a good one on the surface, but do you see diversity and multiculturalism at the very top rungs of every department? Do you have tenured professors commensurate with your numbers in enrollment here? And most important, the reason they did that and got rid of affirmative action so quickly was because affirmative action was something you could see. "But what we see with the birth of multiculturalism, whenever we approach an administration and say we want a black event, or an Asian event or whatever, they'll say 'we cannot do that, it just has to be multicultural; it has to be one of everything.' Nothing is wrong with that, but sometimes people have to be to themselves, to redefine themselves, to have a knowledge of self and to see where they are going," Hare said.

She said black Anglo-Saxons don't realize the effect their attitudes have on the rest of the African American community.

"It would be all right to be a black Anglo-Saxon, but your mis-education wreaks itself on other areas of our lives. Once we are our people, our own black selves; once we have a knowledge of self, and that doesn't mean we are anti-anyone, but pro- ourselves, we would understand that our first task as black people when we know who we are is to reclaim the minds of our children.

"Do you understand that we have lost two or three generations of black children? When you decided you did not want to be a black person anymore and wanted to be something else you couldn't even define, this is when we lost our children," Hare said.

She closed by telling students that although their struggle for equality often seemed in vain, they should never give up.

"I use an expression that goes, 'It's not what you call me, but what I answer to.' But most important, when they throw things in your path and they try to keep you from moving, try to tell you there are certain people that you can't talk to, certain people you can't invite to your campuses to speak, they're really going to come down on you. But just remember, if you fall, try to fall on your back because if you can look up, you can get up," Hare said.

Hare's lecture is part of UH's Black Student Union's Black History Month celebrations.

FILMMAKER MAKES 'EM CHEAP, SPURNS L.A. MILL

by shane patrick boyle

Hard work, not money, is the key to success, said filmmaker Robert Rodriguez in a lecture at the UH Hilton Thursday.

The highly acclaimed, Austin-based producer of <I>El Mariachi<P>, made on a budget of $7,000, spoke as part of The Inventive Minds speaker series, sponsored by the Student Program Board.

Since its filming in the summer of '91, <I>El Mariachi<P> has won awards, spawned a world tour and set a world record, according to <I>Guinness<P>, for having the lowest budget of any feature film released in theaters.

The irony of the film's international success is that Rodriguez originally intended to make the film for Mexico's direct-to-video market.

The plan, Rodriguez said, was to make a series of three action films for this market and use the profits to make a "real film."

Rodriguez first developed a passion for film as a kid, when he made karate movies with his best friend and a video camera. As a student at the University of Texas, he made several award-winning short films even before he was accepted into the university's film school, but he said he still needed to make a feature film before Hollywood would take him seriously.

While visiting the set of <I>Like Water For Chocolate<P> and talking to people involved with the movie in the spring of '91, Rodriguez developed the plan to raise money for his "big" film by making direct-to-video action movies.

The budget to produce <I>El Mariachi<P>, which was to be the first in the series, came from money his cousin raised by selling some land and money Rodriguez made as a test subject for a cholesterol-reducing drug.

Rodriguez cut corners wherever he could – borrowing a bathtub from the producers of <I>Like Water for Chocolate<P>, using condoms filled with red dye in scenes where people get shot, etc. – but he said he didn't want it to look low-budget.

During the filming, he learned various tricks to make the film look more expensive than it was, such as simulating dolly-shots by having someone push him in a wheelchair while he held the camera.

When Rodriguez went to the West Coast to sell the film, an accident happened. He landed a job at Columbia and they bought his movie.

The film, intended for video, was seen on the big screen by audiences everywhere – from San Antonio to Sarajevo.

Rodriguez said "The Columbia logo probably cost more than the whole movie."

Rodriguez said the next film he made was a '50s-style gang movie "like <I>Grease<P> or <I>Happy Days<P> where everybody dies in the end." He said this film gave him insight into Hollywood.

Even though he wasn't spending his own money, he applied his cost/quality-conscious approach to the film, often picking up the camera himself. At one point, the dolly broke down and he used a wheelchair (like he did for <I>El Mariachi<P>) instead of waiting for it to be fixed.

"If you work hard, (Hollywood) is ripe for the taking because everyone's so lazy there," he said, adding that filmmaking "becomes just a job" to many people in Hollywood and ceases to be a passion.

"The people with money aren't the most creative minds," and his advice for aspiring filmmakers is to make a low-budget film. He said this would teach them what they don't learn in film school.

Rodriguez said he still lives in Austin because "you can't get an original idea in Los Angeles."

His upcoming projects include a CBS sitcom about a Latino family in San Antonio, not unlike his own family. He said this will air "if they ever get brave enough to show other Latinos besides the Menendez brothers on TV."

Rodriguez also wrote a book titled <I>Rebel Without a Crew: The Making of El Mariachi<P>, scheduled for release later this year.

Another project under consideration by Columbia is an animated movie based on <I>Los Hooligans<P>, a comic strip Rodriguez did for The Daily Texan while at UT.

Rodriguez also said he plans to return to UT to finish his last semester, so he can set a good example for his nine siblings.

ZAPATISTAS RENEW MEXICAN LAND STRUGGLE

by Rebecca Becerra

On New Year's Day, hundreds of Mexican rebels calling themselves the Zapatista Army of National Liberation cried for social justice, land reform and a stronger democracy.

Rebels stormed four towns in the southeastern state of Chiapas – leading to more than five days of combat that claimed the lives of at least 105 people.

"It's the culmination of something that has been brewing for at least 30 years and it has to do with the land," said Gary Gossen, an expert in the study of the Mayan people, at the State University of New York at Albany.

Lorenzo Cano, associate director of UH Mexican American Studies, said severe deprivation and economic polarization have plagued those areas of Mexico for years.

"The indigenous people want to be autonomous and self-sufficient, but they have continually had their lands encroached upon by the Mexican government and the wealthy, forcing them further off their properties. Their rights as people and their culture are being threatened," Cano said.

In a communique presented to the news media by the Zapatista rebels, the peasants declared war on the Mexican military and threatened to attack Mexico City, where they intended to install a new state government and put military leaders and police officials on trial for crimes against the Mexican people.

The communique did not list any demands by the group.

Their main cause, according to the communique, is to save the indigenous people from the genocidal policy of the Mexico City government, which, they assert, keeps land in the hands of big landowners.

The rebels said they had no intention of negotiating an end to the war.

According to Cano, Mexico is caught in an extremely difficult situation. "They have refused and repressed the requests of the indigenous population for so long that they have to be very cautious in how they choose to handle it.

"The whole world is watching. An unpopular decision could cause a sympathetic uprising in other parts of Mexico," Cano said.

Previous acts by the Mexican government that have led to the uprising are the rescindment of Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution, which makes land private and not easily accessible. The North American Free Trade Agreement with the United States and Canada is also a source of frustration. It is estimated the new trade treaty will force as many as 1 million Mexican farm families to lose their land because of the cheap grain expected to flood the Mexican market.

According to Cano, President Clinton says NAFTA will help the situation of the indigenous communities, but unfortunately, he is unaware of the complexities of the situation the rebels are facing. "NAFTA is anti-indigenous and would result in miserable wages for the poor. They would not even be able to supply the basics for living," Cano said.

A rebel leader interviewed in San Cristobal said, "The free-trade agreement is a death certificate for the Indian people of Mexico."

The rebel army of the Zapatistas begged the U.S. government not to "stain their hands with our blood by being an accomplice of the Mexican Government" in a letter addressed to the president, Congress and the people of the United States.

A copy of the hand-delivered, one-page letter dated Jan. 13 also states, "Troops, planes, helicopters, radar, communication equipment and weapons are used not to fight drug traffickers, but to repress the just struggle of the Mexican people and the indigenous people of Chiapas."

The rebellion, which places several hundred Mayan farmers against the 130,000-strong Mexican military, is the first organized armed insurgency in Mexico in two decades and the most serious since the 1920s.

The rebel group takes its name from Emiliano Zapata, a hero of the 1910 Mexican Revolution who led peasant uprisings and defended the rights of poor laborers to reclaim land taken by the wealthy.

Many Mexicans have said if Zapata had not been led into a government trap and murdered in 1919, they would no longer be oppressed, but a free people.

PERFECT PERFORMANCE SENDS BEECH TO THE RECORD BOOKS, 6-0 VICTORY

RUSTON, La. – The first game of the Cougars' doubleheader with Louisiana Tech Saturday was one they shouldn't have lost and the second was one they couldn't lose.

Pitcher Brad Towns (1-1) carried a 1-0 advantage into the bottom of the seventh and final inning of game 1 at Love Field and saw it slip away when Drew Pregeant and Chris Loy knocked in the two winning runs on one out for Tech.

Reliever Chad Sweitzer (2-0) picked up the win for Tech.

Houston's third loss of the season set up the surprise in game 2.

The Cougars' ace, senior Matt Beech (3-0), took the mound and pitched a perfect seven-inning game – the first in school history – to lead Houston to a 6-0 victory.

Tech (4-2) won the rubber match Sunday with a 6-5 victory. Loy drove in all six runs on a 3-run homer and a 3-run double.

Shane Buteaux (1-1), who has saved the Cougars (9-4) on more than one occasion this season, took his first loss in the shortened six-inning game.

NO CHARITY FOR BEARS IN 87-82 WIN

Houston's fortunes were on the line Saturday – the free-throw line that is.

With five seconds remaining in overtime, sophomore Tim Moore hit two free throws to preserve an 87-82 win over Baylor (14-9 overall, 5-6 in the Southwest Conference) in Hofheinz Pavilion.

Moore and senior Anthony Goldwire led the Cougars (5-17, 3-8), who were without starting forward Jessie Drain and guard Angel Sanz, with 21 points apiece. Moore also led the team with 15 rebounds.

The foul line might be nicknamed the charity stripe, but the Cougars earned every shot. Moore was 11-of-11 from the line, eight coming in overtime. Goldwire was a perfect 6-for-6.

As much as foul-shooting tends to slow down a game, this one had its exciting moments. After a missed 3-pointer, the Bears' Aundre Branch sank a desperation 3-pointer falling away in the right corner with no time left on the clock to knot the game at 72-72 and send it into OT.

"I thought we had the game (at that point)," said Branch, who led all scorers with 31 points.

"When you hit a shot like that you think you're supposed to win," said teammate Nelson Haggerty.

Cougar head coach Alvin Brooks had other opinions.

"Nothing (was going through my mind); it just seems that every time they threw (the 3-point shot) up, it went in. It still felt like it was our game to win," Brooks said.

It was. Houston outscored the Bears 15-10 in the extra frame; Moore made sure of that.

Moore said the pressure was not on, even though the game depended on his foul-shooting.

"I was just shooting. It is something we just practice," Moore said. "I knew they would be crucial; they always are."

As was this win.

He led the team to a season-best 26-of-29 (89.7 percent) shooting performance at the line. Baylor also did well, going 22-of-30.

The game started out like it finished – close. The biggest lead of the game was eight. Houston held a 63-55 advantage at the 7:15 mark in regulation.

Baylor then went on a 14-7 run to cut the deficit to 70-69 with 1:21 left in the second period to set up Branch's heroics.

The Cougars found offense in freshman guard Willie Byrd, who scored 13 of his career-high 15 points in the first half. He was starting in place of Drain, who was attending his grandfather's funeral.

"(Byrd) played exceptionally well and showed a lot of maturity," Brooks said. "Defensively, he's playing his best ball."

Byrd had four steals and three defensive rebounds.

But junior guard Lloyd Wiles came up with the biggest defensive play of the day.

With Baylor down 65-62, he blocked Willie Sublett's 3-point attempt with 17 seconds left in overtime. Wiles also had a key block in Houston's win at Rice, a shot that would have won the game for the Owls.

"We're trying to upset the top teams," Moore said.

Goldwire added, "This game is another notch in the SWC. It means a better seed in the tournament. We're trying to get into the middle bracket. "We've got (Southern Methodist) coming in, and we just need to prepare for them and climb another step in the ladder."

LUCKEY FINDS BEARS TASTY

Freshman forward Pat Luckey was set loose on the Baylor Bears in Waco's Ferrell Center Saturday to lead the Lady Cougars to an 87-76 victory.

Luckey snacked on the Bears' defense for 26 points on 10-of-17 shooting and seven offensive rebounds, 14 total. Guards Traci Bell and Gigi Gaudet came off the bench to combine for 4-of-6 from 3-point range.

Baylor never got closer than 11 points in the second half and most of the time, Houston was up by 20.

The game was marred by 55 personal fouls and three technical, of which Michelle Harris received two. As a result, Houston went to the line 33 times and sank 26, the most made in three years.

Baylor's Mary Lowry, who scored 54 points against Texas last Wednesday, was held to 15 points and was forced to ride the bench for 10 minutes when she got into foul trouble.

Sharon Bennett fouled out with 6:48 to go and Harris followed at the 3:38 mark, leaving Houston with only six players to finish the game.

The Cougars improved to 10-11 overall, 5-6 in the SWC. Baylor dropped to 13-10, 4-7.

FAMED PIANIST LIVES ONLY IN SHADOW OF SANTA FE

by Manuel Esparza

If a person who excels in one field is worth his weight in gold, what would the multitalented Marc Neikrug be worth?

Acclaimed pianist, celebrated composer, a multilingual and a conductor on the side, Neikrug is best known for his collaborations with violinist Pinchas Zukerman.

Neikrug and Zukerman will perform Wednesday night at 8 p.m. in Jones Hall. Performing violin/viola and piano sonatas written by Ravel, Beethoven and Brahms, this is the duo's debut in Houston. At 7:30 p.m., there will be a discussion of the program (useful to those taking courses like Listening To Music) on the balcony level.

In his life, Neikrug has lived in many places – Italy, Germany and France to name a few. Currently, Neikrug lives in Santa Fe, N.M., a choice "that has more to do with art and nature than technology and yuppies." After traveling the world over, it is there he finds the tranquility that feeds his artistic needs.

While doing research near Los Alamos, N.M., for an opera, Neikrug became very close to the Indians there. So close, in fact, that they took him in as one of their own. The result was the important work, <I>Los Alamos<P>, and a new bride.

"Being here (Santa Fe), I found that all Indians were much closer to me than anyone else," he said. "I lived in a pueblo for a couple of years; it is a very personal way to live. They helped me a lot on my project; they have a lot of ideas similar to mine."

As an avid outdoorsman, Neikrug spends much of his free time exploring the Santa Fe environs. One of his many passions is fly-fishing, which he does with his Indian brothers-in-law.

"I enjoy fly-fishing. I enjoy the challenge of the fight. After the struggle, I put the fish back. It's a sort of way of communing with the fish."

With a work schedule that prevents him from being a prolific composer, Neikrug has still turned out some powerful pieces. <I>Through Roses<P>, more of a musical, tackles the somber subject of the Holocaust. The better known of his works, <I>Los Alamos<P>, depicts the nuclear morass in a most unusual manner.

"People don't miss the point of <I>Through Roses<P>; it's a little obvious. With <I>Los Alamos<P>, the reaction is different. Some people get it right away, some go into denial. At one recent Aspen performance, one critic hated it. He said it was outdated," Neikrug said. "The next morning, the newspaper had on the front page a story about a conference of physicists who were there to discuss what to do with these leftovers of the Cold War."

As a man who could be your next-door neighbor, he is amazed at the audience's and especially the media's attempts to want to create stars. He supposes the audience looks to the stage for a "hero image." At one performance, his Indian friends were surprised that the man on stage was the one married to their sister.

The free-flowing Neikrug only gets annoyed with the media portrayal of him as "just" Zukerman's accompanist. When asked if he felt he was in Zukerman's shadow, the reply was, "Only when he's standing between me and the sun."

Theirs has been a partnership for 20 years, the gold cuff links they wear providing a testament to their working relationship. Neikrug, having just finished composing a piece for them, said it is not likely there is any desire to end what has been good for them.

Do the musicians argue about how a piece should be played? "Yeah, it happens. At that point you become an advocate trying to convince the others to your idea. It can get complex. You just can't say it feels good; you have to give logical reasons. Of course, the other guy then gives his counter."

Because he is in the middle of the music, Neikrug finds it difficult to see where symphonic music is heading. He admits it is usually about a half century later that composers and music come to be considered good.

"If we still appreciate and perform music that is 200 years old, it is because it affects us in a particular manner," he said. "What will remain in 200 more years will be music that affects us in the same way. It may sound a bit different, but the effect is the same."

Call 227-ARTS for ticket information. There will be student rush tickets starting at noon Wednesday. There will be no late seating, and no excuses for those foolish enough not to go.