WYNONNA'S RODEO SHOW PULLS OUT THE STOPS

by Rosario Pena

What a wild night it was Monday at the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo as Wynonna took the stage and performed in front of 53,855 rowdy, screaming and foot-stompin' fans.

The title cut of her second CD <I>Tell Me Why<P> got the show rolling. Dressed in a long black dress coat with a white long sleeved ruffled blouse and black boots, Wynonna slipped into "Girls With Guitars," written by fellow musician Mary Chapin-Carpenter. Next came "I Saw the Light" which displayed some good band choreography.

Wynonna demonstrated her great vocal ability in a captivating performance of "My Strongest Weakness" then raised the tempo up a few notches with the "Let's Make A Baby King," and her latest release "Rock Bottom" before dropping back down for "Only Love."

She sang an emotional "River of Time," a Judds classic written by mother and partner Naomi Judd, that she credits as helping her cope with the separation of her longtime singing companion. After continuing with another Judds song, "Mama He's Crazy," Wynonna introduced the next Judds tune by admitting that she was born a dreamer and the three reasons for achieving her dreams. Wynonna said, "first, you gotta act a little crazy. Second, you gotta believe in yourself. And third, you have to wake up every morning and ask yourself 'Why Not Me?'"

Wynonna then brought down the high noise level with her first solo released number one hit "She's His Only Need" from her triple platinum debut CD, <I>Wynonna<P>, a disc that made her the first country female singer to sell that many.

A cowboy named Buddy joined her onstage after she asked for a cowboy to volunteer to be embarrassed as she took out her frustrations with a superb performance of "That Was Yesterday." She then placed a rose between his teeth and had to repeatedly tell him to leave it there as the song was winding down.

The slow pace introduced the gospel song "Live With Jesus" that had stunning vocal performance by her background vocalists Suzy Will, Robert Bailey and Kim Fleming.

The show began to wrap up with "A Little Bit of Love" but not before getting a little wild.

Citing that this was her show, Wynonna asked for a male volunteer to come to the stage to dance with her. With that question asked, a fan ran down and jumped into the arena, only to be wrestled down and handcuffed by security. As Wynonna pleaded for "Mr. Security to let him go," another fan eluded security to jump onstage. Anyone in rodeo attendance will know how far the stage is from the stands.

Not totally satisfied, she again asked for another male volunteer, in which more fans ran down into the arena but only one was allowed on stage. She closed with an encore of "No One Else On Earth" that had everyone on their feet, before exiting in a convertible Cadillac.

As a witness to her third solo performance, it can be said that she has changed mentally, emotionally and physically and has improved with every performance. She's in full control now and can literally pick-up where the Judds success left off.

Wynonna proved again that she can entertain a crowd with an excellent performance, even non-country fans can enjoy, like "No One Else on Earth."

*******************************************************

FACULTY ANGRY AT SYSTEM PAY RAISES

by Tiffany Vaughner

UH faculty expressed outrage at the Board of Regents approval of pay raises for UH System workers during Wednesday's Faculty Senate meeting.

Ernst Leiss, president of the Faculty Senate, said the System raises where double the raises on campus.

"I requested that the Board not approve those raises, that the consideration be postponed. They declined that request but they did make some comment that they wanted to talk with the faculty," said Leiss.

Regent Vidal Martinez said the decision to approve the pay raise for the System was not done to anger the Senate intentionally.

"It is not a simple case of faculty against System, or Board against faculty," Martinez said.

He said the letter Leiss sent to the Board voicing the Senate's disapproval of the raises had factual errors and that the Board has set up a special committee made up of Board members and people from Academic Affairs to work with the Senate.

Martinez said the Board is "highly concerned and awaiting a full opportunity to discuss the facts."

The Southwest conference was another topic of discussion at the meeting. The senate voted to meet with UH President James Pickering next Wednesday to discuss UH not being invited into the Big Eight and the building of the new sports facility.

Also in the meeting the Senate passed, 29 to 1, 1 abstention, to adopt a revised statement of academic Freedom which would replace the one already in the faculty handbook that Leiss said had become outdated.

The Senate also voted on an option on how to deal with requests for personnel files subject to the Open Records Act. The senate chose an option that combined refusing to release the requested information and seeking legislative change to the ORA that would exclude personnel files of state employees. The new option would make future requests declinable with no risk of disclosure or legal action.

'SOCIAL FABRIC' OF RUSSIA THREATENED

Recurring threats of religious and ethnic cleansing in the Soviet Union can be lessened if the United States actively supports democracy in the country, said Mark Levin, executive Director of the National Conference on Soviet Jewry.

Levin came to UH Wednesday and lectured on the dangers of overwhelming Russian support of Liberal Democrat party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who believes in ethnic cleansing

Recently the "social fabric" of Russia has been torn apart due to political reform, creating a tiny rich class and an extremely large poor class, said Levin. He said Zhirinovsky offers people who are in economic trouble a "very simple message saying, 'I know how to solve the problem and who to blame for it.'"

While Zhirinsovsky has a growing amount of Russian support, Jews are not the only group in the Soviet Union being blamed and targeted in the wake of political turmoil. Levin said gypsies, some people from the Caucus region and any other identifiable minority are being "blamed" by Zhirinovsky's claims.

The support of true democracy, Borris Yeltsin and teaching "minority tolerance" is how Levin says Russia can battle totalitarianism and the spread of "hate messages."

WAR DEALS LARGE BLOW TO SMALL NATION

While Nato and the United States have gotten involved in the existing war in the former Yugoslavia, the history of the problem has been clouded in the minds of many Americans.

In 1991 when the war in former Yugoslavia broke out because of Slovenea's and Croatia's desire for independence, the world never expected such terrible results.

Yet the war has been compared to World War II in the level of the atrocities. The devastating death toll that is in the hundreds of thousands is quite an amount for a former country that could fit in the Texas panhandle.

At first it was a war of ethnicity -- different religions, different nations, different people. The world closed its eyes when Vukovar in Croatia fell to the hands of the Serbs. That was only the beginning. The old city of Dubrovink that is encircled by striking stone walls was hit with some 2000 shells. Almost 70 percent of its 824 buildings were hit. Europe's second oldest synagogue, a 14th century Franciscan monastery was badly damaged.

Then the pursuit of a greater Serbia was taken into Bosnia-Hercegovina where it has continued for 22 months.

At the beginning of 1992 it was reported that 17,000 people were killed.

That same year in August the Serbian death camps were discovered -- an approximate 100 camps, through which 260,000 people passed and 17,000 remained, forever. The death camps were a way of weeding out the Muslim and Croat population in what was coined as "Ethnic Cleansing." Horror stories broke from the mouths of the prisoners who were forced to beat each other because the Serbian soldiers grew tired. Near Tuzla three Muslim girls were stripped, chained to a fence "for all to use" and after three days of rape were soaked in gasoline and set on fire. Doctors reported women and girls being held for months as sex slaves and when abortion was no longer a choice, they were set free to have "Serbian babies." But Bosnian-Serb leader Radovan Karadzic said, "There is no ethnic cleansing, but ethnic shifting. We are doing it to protect people."

This was also the time when the suggestion of using air power was heard. Presidential candidate Bill Clinton said, "I would begin with air power strikes against the Serbians to restore the basic conditions of humanity." Yet, as president, until recently, he had done nothing in this direction. By the end of 1992 it was reported that 10,000 children were missing or dead. A key town in Croatia, Slavonski Brod, fell to the Serbs and 10,000 people retreated.

1993 began with airdrops to aid Bosnia-Hercegovina, but in the end, they were considered a failure. The year continued the same path with headlines such as, "Serb rebel recounts gang rapes, murders of nine women" and "U.S. ready to bomb Serbian forces."

Yet once again, nothing was accomplished. Even those who were sent to do peacekeeping were only another burden. On Nov. 1, 1993, <I>the Houston Chronicle<P> reported that UN peace keepers, who were patrolling Bosnia regularly visited Serb-run brothels and engaged in sexual practices with Muslim and Croat women who were forced into prostitution.

The year ended as it had begun -- no peace, no solution, only an increase in the death toll. Yet the worst affected victims of the war are also the youngest. Children who are living in the ravages of war have grown to see no future. UNICEF officials interviewed 1,505 children in Sarajevo and found that two-thirds of the children have been in a situation where they feared they would die. Almost 37 percent said they saw a member of their immediate family killed and wounded. The statistics are devastating.

In February of this year, the biggest shock for the world occurred when 68 people died in a public market from a single mortar shot. This led to last Sunday's deadline for Serbs to pull out their weapons from the Sarajevo area. If the deadline was broken, air attacks would begin. Yet, it is four days after the deadline and not a single bomb has fallen. Bosnia is praying and the world is watching as the Serbs continue to etch forward in their strive for a Greater Serbia.

I-45 BLUES: SMU BLASTS UH 81-63

The Houston Lady Cougars headed north to Dallas on Wednesday, but their winning ways went south.

With five-and-a-half minutes left to play against Southern Methodist in Moody Coliseum, the Cougars held a 57-56 lead.

But the Mustangs, who received some clutch shooting from senior forward Leslie Frazier and sophomore guard Jennifer McLaughlin, went on a 25-6 run the rest of the way to win 81-63 and turn a barnburner into an eventual blowout.

The loss for Houston ended a two-game winning streak and a string of games in which it won four out of five contests.

Frazier and McLaughlin led SMU (16-6 overall, 7-5 in the Southwest Conference) with 14 and 25 points, respectively.

After a rough first half in which the Mustangs shot 33 percent from the floor and trailed Houston 35-28, they turned it on in the second and shot 60 percent.

"We played smart basketball in the second half," said SMU coach Rhonda Rompola. "We waited for good shots instead of forcing them."

When the Cougars had their one-point lead late in the second half, Frazier pulled up for a jumper that hit nothing but net to give SMU a 58-57 advantage.

There was also a foul away from the ball on Houston center Sharon Bennett that gave the Mustangs two free throws and a 60-57 lead.

The free-throw shots seemed to take the wind out of Houston's sails. After Frazier banked in a 3-pointer from the left wing, she pushed the SMU lead to six at 63-57 with just over three minutes left.

Cougar freshman Pat Luckey tried to creep Houston back into the ballgame, but her teammates weren't cooperating.

Senior guard Michelle Harris did score 14 points on the night, but 12 of those came in the first half. She took several ill-advised shots in the second before fouling out after the game had been decided.

The Cougars shot 26 percent from the floor in the second half after an impressive 52 percent first-half showing. Even worse was the fact that they were 0-of-10 from 3-point land.

Luckey enjoyed another successful performance as she led all players with 29 points and 13 rebounds.

ESPN IN THE DARK WHEN SCHEDULING UH VS. SMU

ESPN didn't know any better.

When the network scheduled tonight's game in Hofheinz Pavilion between the Houston Cougars and Southern Methodist Mustangs, it figured the two teams were going to be exciting to watch.

After all, both were coming off exceptional seasons in 1993.

SMU won the regular season Southwest Conference title and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Houston finished the season as the league's hottest team and also received a post-season bid.

But times have changed as the two get ready to go at it tonight at 6:30 p.m. before a national television audience.

Houston (5-17 overall, 3-8 in the SWC) and SMU (4-18, 2-9) have become the opposite this year and will not likely see post-season play in 1994.

The Ponies are dead last in the conference in both scoring (68.9 ppg) and field-goal percentage (.402).

Houston, though improving, is also in the bottom half of both those categories (75.6 ppg and .422 shooting percentage).

But the Cougars have won three of their last five games and are looking forward to heading into the SWC tournament with a full head of steam come March 10.

Sophomore forward Tim Moore was named the SWC newcomer of the week for the second straight week and is currently averaging 19.5 points.

"I thought it would be a matter of time before Houston got together and performed well," said Mustangs coach John Shumate. "They had some new guys and just needed some time to (get it going).

Junior forward Jessie Drain returns for Houston after missing Saturday's 87-82 overtime victory over the Baylor Bears in Hofheinz. Drain had to attend his grandfather's funeral over the weekend in Saginaw, Mich., and will not start tonight due to the missed practice time.

"Jessie missed about a week of practice after our last game against Texas A&M," said head coach Alvin Brooks. "How much he plays depends on whether or not he starts at Texas (on Saturday)."

Before defeating the Texas Christian Horned Frogs 65-64 in Fort Worth on Saturday, SMU was mired in a stretch of basketball in which they lost 13-of-14 ballgames.

But the Mustangs' lone win in that stretch came against the Cougars, 70-64 on Jan. 26.

Houston shot only 39.1 percent and succumbed to Mustangs senior guard Troy Dorner's 23 points.

On the season, Dorner is averaging 10.2 points and is leading the league in 3-point shooting.

QUICKSAND A WINNER

by Tom Turner

A band built on a foundation of driving guitars, a solid rhythm section, and vocals with honest emotion. Welcome to the music of Quicksand.

The group is made up members of New York City's best-known mid-'80s hardcore punk bands. Walter Schreifels, has a voice similar to that of Henry Rollins, with a slightly smoother edge. Tom Capone provides the guitar work, Sergio Vega, bass, and Alan Cage on drums.

Quicksand drove into town with its own brand of pure, powerful music and brought the Shimmy Shack crashing down. Playing before a packed house at the Shack, last Wednesday, the band made new followers quickly. Quicksand is touring in support of their new release, <I>Slip<P>.

Even though a portion of the crowd had to act as if it was its show, Quicksand ignored some of the infantiles in attendance. At one point after all the "cool kids" moshing got too aggressive, Schreifels said that "this is the reason why black people say that white people can't dance." How true he was, considering that a good handful in attendance took it upon themselves to act like idiots.

Audience aside, Quicksand rocked. The band played with power, energy, and put on display their solid music technique. The group progressed through the night by playing nearly all of the tracks on <I>Slip<P>.

One of the strongest attributes of Quicksand is that the band's studio work sounds nearly as solid and powerful as the band's live performance.

The band's sound is composed of "rough-hewn melodies, a gorgeous knack for dynamics and several shades of passion." In other words, these guys know what they're doing and do it with a solid punch on each song.

If you missed Quicksand, buy <I>Slip<P>. Experience the driving music of a band that is sure to be heard from again in the near future. Don't miss them the next time around.

GOOD HORROR IS RARE BREED

by Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

Although it may not be the right time of the year for such a festival, I have decided to dedicate this week's column to the horror film.

However, I may have spoken too soon, as Hollywood doesn't really make "horror" movies anymore. Today, these films are known as "slasher" movies and the only purpose they serve is to control any unhealthy growth in the population of teen-age summer-camp counselors.

It may be hard for modern audiences to believe, but there was a time when these films were meant to scare the audience and not just gross them out.

But don't worry, I promise not to recommend any movies made before I was born for this festival, which I have appropriately enough dubbed the "Scared Sweaty" Film Festival.

The first film on my list should be the first film on everybody's list of horror films. <I>The Exorcist<P> defines the genre and remains to this day one of the most frightening films ever made.

I have seen this movie, unedited, about five times now and can honestly say that I was just as scared the fifth time as I was the first.

The story concerns the plight of a young girl who begins acting very strange. Not so that you could notice. I mean, at that age who didn't urinate on the living room carpet in front of party guests, or spin their neck completely around and spit out some really yucky green stuff all over priests. Kids will be kids.

But for some reason her mother thinks she may be possessed by an evil spirit, possibly even Satan herself! Of course, there were times when my mother believed the same thing about me, and with good reason I might add.

<I>The Exorcist<P> is expertly directed by William Friedkin, and written by William Peter Blatty, who also wrote the novel on which it is based. For a good fright, don't miss it!

Since slasher movies are all the rage now, the least I could do is pay homage to the film that started it all, John Carpenter's <I>Halloween<P>.

Although it was later bastardized into four less than enjoyable sequels, the first film detailing the homecoming of little Mikey Myers is a pretty good slasher flick.

There's not much to the story, maniac Michael Myers escapes from the mental hospital on Halloween and begins murdering residents of his home-town.

Without giving too much away, I'll just say that there is a lot of blood and gore and when all is said and done, there are a lot fewer of those pesky teenagers running around having sex all over the place.

Director Carpenter also wrote the film's score, which contains the most frighteningly simplistic piano melody since the tubular bells in <I>The Exorcist<P>.

For something a little more modern, with a much bigger budget, watch Francis Ford Coppola's film <I>Bram Stoker's Dracula<P>.

This is probably the most accurate retelling of the classic Stoker novel, but that isn't saying much. While most Dracula movies tend just to focus on the big guy's bloody feedings, this film tries to capture more of the Gothic romance of the novel.

In some ways it succeeds, but at times it still comes off as a little overindulgent filmmaking by Coppola.

The performances are on target, for the most part. Gary Oldman is perfect as Dracula and Anthony Hopkins (Our generation's Gene Hackman) is nicely eccentric as Dr. Van Helsing. Of course, good money is offered to anyone who can explain what the hell Keanu Reeves is doing in this movie.

Lastly, what would a horror festival be without a Stephen King movie. There are certainly plenty to choose from, and some of them are even pretty good. But my choice would be the most recent King adaptation, <I>Needful Things<P>.

Although it doesn't come out on video until Feb. 23, <I>Needful Things<P> is definitely worth seeing, if only to see the wonderful Max Von Sydow as Leland Gaunt.

When I first read this novel, Von Sydow was the man I pictured in the role, and he doesn't disappoint. He is delightfully evil as the proprietor of a small shop in Castle Rock, known as Needful Things.

The movie maintains King's inventive plot, and even manages to solve the problem with the ending better than King himself did. However, anyone familiar with King's writings knows that this ain't saying much.

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student studying history and government

COOGS USE CONFUSION TO EDGE SHSU 3-2

In the cold wind of Cougar Field the Houston baseball team rallied in the eighth inning to defeat Sam Houston State 3-2 Wednesday afternoon..

Going into the eighth the Cougars (10-4) were trailing the Bearkats (6-5) 2-1. Winning pitcher Jason Dixon gave up a single with one out, then retired the next two batters on fly balls to the outfield.

Then the Cougars came to bat. Leftfielder Tom Maleski led the inning with a free pass from pitcher Jeff Albright. Dustin Carr came into the game to pnch-run for Maleski.

Stephen Breeding, the next hitter, was then hit by a pitch, putting men on first an second. Then the Bearkat pitcher was generous again when he put one in the dirt. Both runners advanced on the wild-pitch. Then things got a little confusing.

Catcher Mike Hatch came to the plate and hit hit a grounder to the shortstop. Hatch safely made it to first on a feilder's choice. Breeding was caught in a run-down and tagged out by the third baseman. During this, Carr made a heads-up play and came home for the tying run.

Hatch then advanced to second on a ground-out to short by Pat Cauley. With the winning run on second and the Cougar team standing up, out of the dugout, shotstop Ryan Elizando came to the plate.

On the first pitch he hit a looping single to rightfield in front of a diving Mike McCreary. The ball hit his glove and rolled away from him allowing Hatch to score the final and winning run.

The two-run rally was made possible by the combined pitching of starter Bo Hernandez and Dixon.

Hernandez gave up two runs on five hits in 6 1/3 innings but struck out nine. He struck-out the side in the second and pitched four innings in which he only faced three batters.

With one out, Cougar head coach Bragg Stockton pulled Hernandez and put in Dixon. Dixon finished the inning, then the game. He gave up three hits and no runs to earn the win.

While Stockton said he was pleased with the pitching, calling it "remarkable". He is very worried about the offense.

"I'm very concerned about our hitting, or lack of," he said.

At the beginning of the season the Cougars figured pitching would be the problem. Now they find themselves in a run producing slump.

"Their mechanics are a little off. We're a little too eager," he said. "They're a little tense and uptight, but that has to do with confidence."

The Cougars will need all the confidence they can muster when defending national champion Louisiana State comes calling this weekend for a two-game set.