TAFTUFFE'S ADAPTATION GOOD

by Amanda Swaty

French theater is a peculiar thing. In watching it, one should always bear in mind the words of the Cheshire Cat from Lewis Carroll's <I>Alice In Wonderland<P>: things aren't always what they seem.

Indeed, the Dell 'Arte Players Company's production of Moliere's <I>Tartuffe<P> is beyond the traditional. To begin with, the cast has moved the setting of the play from its original 17th century, Parisian setting to contemporary Houston.

This only complements the story line, which is fascinating. The title character is invited into the home of a wealthy man, Orgon, to act as a "moral and spiritual guide"(remember, this was before the advent of the Psychic Friends). One thing leads to another, and Tartuffe soon becomes the head of the household.

The comic nature of the piece is timeless, and the adaptation seems to work, but not without the incredible talent of the cast. Having worked together for 15 years, the troupe pulls together to create a cast of very believable characters that will prompt a laugh from the most skeptical theater goer.

The most intriguing performance, however, was that of Jeffery Bean as Tartuffe. Bean is incredibly effective in creating the enjoyable variety in character – the one no one is sure to love or hate, and one who, like everyone, deftly maintains the ability to be different things to many different people.

The play opens on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m., but the Alley Theater has a " Pay-what-you-want" performance, scheduled for Tuesday night. "Pay-what-you-want" performances are a blessing for broke college students and anyone anxious to enjoy an evening of fine theater. Attendees are allowed to go to the theater's ticket window and offer any sum of money to attend the show, and the Alley allows them in. Last year, the Alley underwrote this program at a loss of $63,000, but did so to cement its commitment to quality theater.

<I>Tartuffe<P> is just the kind of quality theater you'll enjoy.

<I>Tartuffe<P>

When: March 1—27

Where: 615 Texas Ave.

Cost: Pay What You Want, preview; $17—$40 Telephone: 228—8241

*******************************************************

LOCKUP POLICIES KEEP BIKE RIDERS HOPPING, WALKING

by Kevin Sinclair Patton

When Residential Life maintenance worker, Carlos Villareal, cut the chains from four bicycles at Cougar Place he was merely following policy.

On Friday four bicycles were removed from where they were improperly chained.

But Tim Murphy, one of the four Cougar Place residents whose lock was cut, doesn't see it quite that way.

"I thought it was stolen," he said. His bicycle was parked in front of his residence to what is "not a handrail. The walk way is 5-feet wide," he said.

Ronnie Horndack, assistant manager of Cougar Place said, "We do this for security purposes. The rules are there and we have to enforce them. "If there are bikes chained where they shouldn't be, we have to cut them.

The 1993—94 edition of the On-Campus Living Resource Manual expressly states that "improperly secured bicycles are subject to having locks cut for bicycle removal".

Any bicycle that is secured to "stairwells, handrails, hallways, entrances, light poles, porch supports, trees or shrubbery" is improperly secured.

The 1992—93 edition of the "Cougar Place Supplemental Regulations had different rules. "The balconies or porches of Cougar Place may not be used for storage purposes, but outdoor items such as patio furniture and bicycles are allowed," the handbook states.

The latest edition changed this to include only patio furniture.

Students can only lock their bicycles to one of the four racks provided in Cougar Place.

Villareal said that Friday morning 12 bikes were improperly chained. He placed notes on the bikes and only four remained in the afternoon. He removed the bikes and took them to his workshop.

Three of the four have been claimed.

"It's just policy," he said.

Villareal also stated that improperly secured bicycles impede the passage of the handicapped students who live there.

"I find it ironic that the people we have to watch for are the closest to us," Murphy said.

GALVESTON ALCOHOL BAN KEEPS CRIME AT BAY

by Megan McVeigh

Students planning to celebrate spring break on Galveston Island may be in for a shock.

Efforts have been undertaken by the Galveston City Council and the Galveston Park Board of Trustees to make the island more family-oriented. One of the approved measures is an alcohol ban, which was passed by the city council in September.

Charlye Wright, the mayor's secretary, said it is illegal to consume alcoholic beverages from 16-Mile Road to San Luis Pass. Drinking is also forbidden on Stewart Beach and along Seawall Boulevard, said Wright.

Drinking is permitted, however, at R.A. Apffel Park, she said.

The Galveston City Council passed the ordinance after an experimental ban reduced crime during the summer season, said Galveston Police Department Lt. Robert Clayton.

"Our problems and our arrests dropped drastically. As long as people stay sober, they stay out of trouble," Clayton said.

The punishment for violating the ban is $130, he said.

Galveston Park Board of Trustees have also announced plans to exclude "troublesome" college students from marketing efforts this year.

The board controls operation of R.A. Apffel Park and Stewart Beach.

Lou Muller, a spokesman for the board, said the decision not to advertise to students was "due to budgetary constraints," and not because board members did not want to welcome the college crowds.

Muller said the board has spent about $4,000 in previous years to promote spring break. This included sending out flyers, buying advertisements in spring break magazines and in college newspapers.

"Due to budget reasons, we have not been able to do that this year," said Muller. However, the board has activities planned to entertain the 50,000 people expected to arrive on the weekends during March. The activities include sand sculpture and volleyball tournaments.

Muller said, college students are welcome, "but if they are only interested in going to an area where they can freely drink alcohol, they should pick another place besides Galveston."

Jakovich, of the city attorney's office, said the alcohol ban and reduced advertising efforts will not affect Galveston's economy in a negative way. "They can get more money from families than from students," she said.

Surfside Beach, which is west of Galveston Island, does not have an alcohol ban.

Kelly Hamby, director of Surfside Beach, Parks and Recreation, said activities scheduled for "spring breakers" include volleyball tournaments, bonfire parties and a bikini contest.

"Every year we have been prepared for college students, and we are anticipating them again this year," she said.

RUNNER COLLAPSES DURING WARMUPS

QUARTER-MILER KING RECOVERING FROM MUSCLE SPASM

Houston track 1/4-mile runner George King collapsed at 2:40 p.m. Monday during his warm-up exercises at Robertson Stadium after feeling a sharp pain in his back and then losing the control of his legs and torso.

King, 19, was rushed by ambulance to St. Joseph's Hospital where UH team physician Dr. Walter Lowe examined him and ordered X-rays.

King later regained movement of his legs at the hospital, and the pain in his back subsided enough to where he was able to get up and walk around.

"(The problem) was just a back spasm," Lowe said. "From a neurological point of view, he's okay. His X-rays were negative."

As a result, King was discharged from the hospital at 6:45 p.m. But what remains a mystery is how the spasm occurred.

Sprinter Takayuri Nakamichi said he was warming up next to King, who was sitting with his legs straight out in front of him and touching his hands to his toes to stretch his hamstrings, when "I heard him say he couldn't move. I thought he was just kidding because we were stretching," Nakamichi said.

Head track trainer Louis Ray was at Robertson Stadium when King, a 5-11 freshman from LaPuente, Calif., collapsed.

"He was stretching and he felt a pop in the middle of his back," Ray said. "He lay down and couldn't raise up.

"I checked his vital signs and I called our team doctor. He (King) didn't look scared. He looked puzzled, like, 'Why is this happening to me? What's going on?'"

Ray said King remained conscious from the moment he collapsed until the medics took him away in the ambulance. The medics were afraid to move King, so they strapped his legs, body and head tightly to the stretcher.

Lowe said he has never seen an instance where someone had a back spasm from stretching.

"If you run hard and you're a very muscular person, it's not hard for it to happen," Lowe said. "It's not common, though, for that (getting a spasm while stretching) to happen. I found nothing else on him in the exam."

Ray said he was glad the ordeal had a happy ending.

"It's an experience I never want to see again," he said.

BURGLARS KEEP COPS BUSY

Student parking lots have become a car stereo free-for-all for burglars. At least nine cars were burglarized last week with six being stripped of their stereo systems, according to the reports.

Other incidents highlighted in the UHPD daily crime bulletins include stolen pagers, backpack theft, stolen clothes and VCRs, harassing phone calls and a cut tire.

Parking lots where the vehicles were preyed upon are 16D on Elgin Blvd., 16B near the Fine Arts Bldg., 9C near the Cameron Bldg., 1A across from the Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, according to the reports.

The lot targeted most heavily for car burglary last week was lot 9C. Reports say that at 3 a.m. on Thursday Feb. 23, "several vehicles were burglarized" by unknown suspects still at large.

That same lot was hit Friday between 2 a.m. and 4:21 a.m. with a grand total of four cars being liberated of their car stereos. UHPD is now investigating the cluster of car burglaries, the report says.

However, car stereos were not the object of the burglary in all of last week's cases and UHPD recommends keeping valuables out of site of passersby.

Keeping valuables hidden will deter criminals from violating your property and taking your belongings.

LAMAR REMATCH A PREP FOR RICE

If the Lady Cougars want to close out the regular season on a positive note, it will have to be on the road.

Houston (10-13) will take on the Lamar Cardinals (8-16) at 7 p.m. tonight in the Montagne Center in Beaumont. It is one of two remaining games for the Cougars, who are trying to ensure their fifth-place seed in the Southwest Conference Tournament.

Houston will play their final conference game at Rice on Saturday. The Lady Owls are right on the Cougars' tail for possession of the fifth-place postseason spot and the right to play SMU rather than Texas in the opening round.

The Cougars came from behind to defeat Lamar 62-56 earlier this season at Hofheinz Pavilion. Cardinal senior center Travesa Gant scored 27 points and pulled down 17 rebounds in the contest.

Gant (20.3 points a game, 12.9 rebounds a game), has been aided by senior Sondra Ancelot (12.9 ppg, 4.5 assists per game) in the backcourt and junior Karen Degon (10.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg) on the front line.

Lamar head coach Liz McQuitter has had to deal with losing two prospective point guards this season, one to scholarship cutbacks and one to academic ineligibility. However, she is not one to make excuses.

"The inconsistency of the team is what we've been trying to pinpoint all year," McQuitter said. "We've lost games for reasons that have nothing to do with not having a point guard."

McQuitter will be wary of the Cougars' press, which has caused a number of opponents problems this year.

"In the second half up there, they pressed us and we turned the ball over," McQuitter said of the last game between the two teams. "That's how they won the game."

Houston head coach Jessie Kenlaw said she doesn't believe the Cougars will be able to use the same strategy.

"We won't be able to press as much this time, because (the last game) was earlier in the season when we had more people healthy," she said.

Kenlaw and McQuitter agreed that Houston and Lamar have mirrored each other this season. "Actually, we're kind of similar," Kenlaw said. "We should have no problems matching up with them."

CARDINAL BRING THE PAST BACK TO BROOKS

When Houston head coach Alvin Brooks takes the court tonight against the Lamar Cardinals in Hofheinz Pavilion, he may not know which bench to go to.

Between the years 1977 and 1981, Brooks was starring at point guard for the Cardinals. Lamar won four championships as a former member of the Southland Conference and made three runs in the NCAA tournament during that time.

Now as the coach for the Cougars (6-18 overall), Brooks admits that tonight's contest will have its share of "mixed feelings."

"It'll be interesting looking over at those Lamar road uniforms and the same radio crew that was (at Lamar) when I was," he said.

However, Brooks' Cougars do not plan on going easy on his former team. Houston is trying to gain more momentum going into next week's Southwest Conference Tournament in Dallas.

"This is an opportunity to get another 'W' going into the tournament," Brooks said. "Every game (conference or non-conference) is good for us right now."

While Houston is still playing out its regular season, tonight's game is Lamar's final contest before the Sun Belt Conference Tournament takes place in Bowling Green, Ky., March 4.

In what has so far been a forgettable campaign, the Cardinals have struggled through their schedule this year with a 10-15 record.

Before defeating Texas-Pan American over the weekend 77-67, Lamar was in the midst of a seven-game losing streak that began on Feb. 5, its longest of the season.

Senior guard Afiim Browne leads the team in scoring at 16 points per game while senior forward Neville Dyson is averaging 11.3 rebounds.

Dyson also averages 12.8 points and shoots 52.2 percent from the field.

The Browne-Dyson combination should match up exceptionally well with the Cougars' Anthony Goldwire and Tim Moore.

Goldwire and Moore are scoring 17.7 and 17.1 points respectively on the season.

ALTERNATIVE A VARIED LABEL

by Tom Turner

How many times have you caught yourself saying that something sounds "alternative" and then realize how poor a description it has become? Has anyone else realized that alternative isn't so alternative anymore?

The word itself has grown to represent a musical mockery as far as a classification of the sound of a band, because of what it now entails. An entire shift has occurred in the way the industry and the general public classify music.

This change in the musical movement is a double edged sword for the listener. Through the rising of the "alternative scene" over the past several years, a much larger variety of music has gained worthy attention. Obviously that's good for all of the bands who have been busting their butts for recognition and exposure. The bigger labels pick them up in hopes of making a good profit and the band gets more exposure. In turn, the listeners are then given a wider variety of music at their disposal.

Jane's Addiction was a prime example. Here was a band who was under the Triple X Records label and was later picked up by Warner Brothers. After a few releases under this label, the band split up, mostly due to too much attention and popularity. Other groups who have gone from near obscurity and into the collections of millions are Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Primus. So, the rise of the "alternative sound" (use your own definition here) brought great attention to some of the best modern rock musicians around.

The other edge of the sword is the part where the word "alternative" loses the soul of its meaning. With this rise, there are also a number of bands who end up sounding almost exactly alike. Take Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots for example. These two groups have such a similar sound that it even had Beavis and Butt-head confused. Call it a personal gripe if you will, but if you truly listen, with an unbiased ear, it seems as if their sound is just a bit too alike.

Other bands almost seem to think that with long hair and some flannel, they can become the next big "alternative" group. It takes musical talent folks, plain and simple, and a large group of bands out on the market don't cut it. However, enough of the soapbox routine.

Currently, the musical mainstream has become a giant melting pot of pop, rock, techno and what used to be originally termed "alternative" (no, that's not Nirvana for those keeping score at home). Years ago, this description was given to bands that were not generally accepted by the public. A few of these bands included the likes of Black Flag, The Cramps and Minor Threat.

Today, it has reached a point where everything from techno to country bands are all trying to huddle under the giant alternative umbrella. Yeah, that's right, I said country. There are actually country bands who believe they fall in with all the flannel wavers. This stirs the musical melting pot to what basically looks pretty nasty and becomes pretty hard to swallow.

In the late '70s and early '80s most of the underground punk groups were the main draw of the early alternative music scene. Most of these groups rose out of England, New York City and various other cities. A few of the more recognizable names from this time are The Clash, The Ramones and The Sex Pistols.

Now, we're not saying that alternative music was only composed of underground punk bands. There are a whole slew of groups, especially from Europe, that can fall into this category. Take The Cure for example, before this group hit the scene with albums like <I>Disintegration<P> and <I>Wish<P>, the Cure was still trying to break into the American music scene. Other examples are groups such as Catherine Wheel and Swervedriver, both are beginning to rise out of obscurity. This again shows a little brighter side of the alternative scene becoming mainstream.

What was once frowned upon is now, on the whole, accepted with open ears. All the cool kids have the latest from Seattle and everybody is trying to impress everyone else with a new band that only they have heard of. What's next? Will there be another rising of the underground into mainstream popularity? One way to consider it is that, in general, the musical mainstream seems to run in a cyclical fashion. Will more experimental sounds emerge or will disco really make a comeback like the TV tells us? The current trend is providing many bands with that all important break. Unfortunately, it is also providing other groups with opportunities to leech off of the sound of others and cash in while they can.

Right now the word "alternative" means absolutely nothing. It's anyone's guess what the next musical catch word will be.

Turner is a sophomore majoring in psychology

EXCITEMENT IS WHERE YOU FIND IT

Christy's Campus

I don't know about you, but I am really sick of studying. It's only five weeks into the semester and I have Spring Break fever. I was desperately searching for something exciting to do on campus, when I discovered that our campus is not very busy this week. I can't tell you why there is a sudden lull in activities but I can suggest some other ways to pass the time between classes.

<B>Tuesday, March 1<P>

•Hola, Hola, Hola! Today is the Mexican American Studies Career day. Admission is free. Career Day will be held in the UH Hilton hotel from 8:30 am until 2 pm.

•Hot basketball action tonight at Hofheinz. The Coogs take on Lamar University. Come out and cheer for our guys. Hoops start at 7:30 pm.

•Did you know that we have our own working art museum right here on campus? Did you know that admission to Blaffer Art Gallery is FREE? Blaffer Gallery is currently exhibiting "I Remember" a tribute to the civil rights movement. It's open from 10—5. Take some time to relax and view the art.

<B>Wednesday March 2<P>

•If you happen to be in the UC this evening, come watch a movie with SPB. Catch "Bladerunner" starring Harrison Ford, in the Houston Room. Admission is only $1 with UH ID, $2 all others.

•When is the last time you went bowling? You know it's fun, and we have a bowling alley in our University Center. It's cheap and it really beats studying!

<B>Thursday March 3<P>

•Campus job recruitment workshop today. Bring a valid student ID at 11 a.m. in the Career Planning and Placement Center.

•Did you know that financial aid is filed on a first come first served basis? Financial Aid applications for the summer and fall aren't due until May 1. But filing as early as possible cuts down on processing time and problems. You also get it back sooner so you're not stuck with an emergency loan. Get busy!

<B>Friday March 4<P>

•Come see a great play tonight at our own Wortham Theatre. Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" will start at 8 p.m. Admission is $6 with UH ID, $7 for faculty and staff, and $8 for all others.

•Share a pitcher of beer with friends at Coog's Cafe. A pitcher of Budweiser is just $4.75.

<B>Saturday March 5<P>

If you have a friend interested in coming to UH, tell them about Cougar Preview. Cougar Preview and Campus Open House are designed to let high school and transfer students get to know UH. Nevertheless, it's open to everyone.