MUSIC CONFERENCE KICKS OFF THIS WEEK

Local Music

By Tom Turner

The grand ol' musical bonanza is back once again this year, with more bands and a wider range of topics than ever before.

Yeah, that's right, it's South by Southwest, the music and media conference to be held in Austin. The conference will be held March 16-20.

South by Southwest is designed to provide informative sessions in hopes of creating new growth for musical and media hopefuls. More than 100 music industry professionals will be on hand to answer questions and offer advice on a whole sleuth of topics.

Some of the topics to be discussed include "The Marketing Meeting," "Interactive Media," "Music & Artwork" and "Why is my record not in the stores?" These are just a few of the seminars to be held during the week long conference. This year, the keynote speaker of South by Southwest will be Johnny Cash. Along with these events, there will also be demo listening sessions. This will give bands the opportunity to get direct feedback from several professionals.

Other topics to be covered at the conference include a whole variety of discussions, with something for nearly everyone involved with music. One of the broader topics to be presented is the destiny of music, film, and video. Some say that the future is CD-ROM and still others believe that it will be the Digital Highway.

Another meeting to be held at the conference will be the "International Managers Forum." This group was formed to create a lobby for managers in their dealings with various record companies. The forum is only a year and a half old, but already has connections across the world.

Along with all of the informative seminars, there will also be more bands playing throughout Austin than you can shake a stick at. The bands to perform at this festival-of-sorts hail everywhere from New York to California. Groups such as Soul Hat, the Supersuckers, Mojo Nixon, Babe the Blue Ox, and Dead Horse are only a few of the bands that will be packin' in the Austin venues.

However, along with all of the good that this conference would seem to provide, there are also several criticisms that arise. First, most of the bands that want to perform have to pay a registration fee. Many groups who are trying to get their feet off the ground don't have a great deal of spare cash to blow on one gig. There is also no true guarantee that anyone from any major label, or anyone of any importance in the industry at all, will come out and watch each band perform.

So, now let's propose a little scenario to display this point. Let's say that we are in a band that's been trying to get some exposure. We (the band) have decided that the music convention would be a great place for us to be seen and we'll finally get our break. Now, we each empty our piggy banks and pool together a couple hundred bucks to pay for registration, food, and so on. Since we have all of this out of the way, we're ready to play.

Our band got booked at a pretty good club, we'll say Liberty Lunch, and we bring the place to its knees. It's easily our best gig so far. However, no one from the industry decided to hang around until we played. Or, possibly they were there, but they paid no attention to us, because they had already listened to a ton of other bands. So, we paid all of our lunch money for the next couple years, which adds up to a simple show in Austin. That's it, no big break, no one busting down the doors to sign us to a record deal. Even though the conference has a good deal of positive aspects, there does seem to be a possible downside for the bands involved.

South by Southwest offers something for nearly everyone involved in the music industry. It will be held this week in Austin. The conference will provide informative panels and sessions dealing with a wide variety of topics. Along with this, some of the best known and unknown bands today will be performing all around Austin.

So, if you want to get a jump start on your spring break, make a road trip to Austin and check out some of the best music around. To find out more on which bands are performing where and the times of their shows, call the South by Southwest Headquarters, in Austin, at (512) 467-7979.

Turner is a sophomore majoring in psychology.

*******************************************************

BUDGET WALKS A TIGHTROPE

by Bridget Baulch

The move to constitutionally require a balanced budget was killed by four votes in the U.S. Senate on March 3, leaving unanswered the question of how to achieve a balance of revenues and expenditures within the federal budget. This is the third time in nine years the Senate did not pass the Balanced Budget Amendment.

Sen. Paul Simon, D-Ill., introduced the bill to the Senate in 1986, where it failed to pass although it had the support of the White House and majority leadership.

Sen. Phil Gramm, R-Texas, reintroduced the bill in 1992. A Democratic Senate filibuster killed it.

This time the balanced budget amendment did not have the support of the White House or the Senate leadership. In a telephone interview, David Carle, Sen. Simon's press secretary, said this was the primary reason the bill was not successful.

"Furthermore," Carle said, "Sen. Gramm did not have Sen. Simon's permission to introduce his bill in 1992 and that he did it purely for political purposes."

UH constitutional law professor Sidney Buchanan said most of the Senate was against this bill. He said "Those senators who voted for it didn't think their vote was needed to defeat it. If they had, they would have voted against it." Buchanan said, "Politically the amendment is well received in the nation. They voted yes to put themselves on record to look favorable to their constituents."

The controversy over a balanced budget amendment dates back to 1935 when the first balanced budget constitutional amendment was introduced to Congress. The country had gone into a budget deficit for the first time in 1930. The federal debt became $16 billion. Today the Federal debt is $4.6 trillion. Since the balanced budget amendment talks began during the Reagan administration, the federal debt has risen an additional $2.3 trillion.

Buchanan said, "The proponents of the amendment strongly believe the government needs the straitjacket of the amendment to control itself."

Those in the Senate who oppose this amendment think they have demonstrated fiscal sincerity by killing the superconducting super collider project and reducing space station and military spending.

Buchanan said, "The objectors of the amendment say it would limit the flexibility of the government. It would require a three-fifths vote of both houses to override the amendment and borrow money in an emergency."

Many people have said they believe the founding fathers never imagined that this government would run the kinds of deficits it is running today or they would have included a balanced budget as part of the original constitution.

Once the largest creditor nation, the United States has become the largest debtor in the world. Federal budget deficits fuel our overall indebtedness, worsen our balance of trade and diminish our international competitiveness.

JACKSON-LEE REVIVES POLITICS

by Jesse W. Coleman

"Four strikes and you are out in politics," UH political science professor Richard Murray said of Houston City Councilman Ben Reyes referring to the possible end of his career after an unsuccessful bid for a congressional seat.

Murray, in an interview after the recent elections, said Congressman Craig Washington's career in politics is also over, that Reyes has little chance of become a congressman and that Houston City Councilwoman Sheila Jackson-Lee has started a new wave of Afro American women in local politics.

"Ben (Reyes) is a political animal. He was born political and will die political," Murray said of Reyes. He said for Reyes, who lost to Gene Green in the District 29 Democratic Congressional primary race, and is serving his final term on the city council, it would be hard to raise money or spark interest among constituents in a fifth bid for Congress.

Murray said he believes Reyes may run for city controller, mayor or some other office in state and local politics. "I look forward to him running for something. I just don't know what it is," he said.

Murray said former U.S. Rep. Washington, D-Texas – who lost in the District 18 Democratic Congressional Primary race to Jackson-Lee – will get out of politics. "He just didn't have the stomach for it," Murray said. "He said he was finished and I believe him," Murray said.

Murray blames Washington's personal problems, his refusal to vote in favor of the North American Free Trade Agreement and the fact that Jackson-Lee was a very skilled opponent for the congressman's loss.

"I think we will see more black women running for office," Murray said. He said Jackson-Lee's victory will revive the wave of African American women running for public offices. He said most African American elected officials have been men, and Jackson-Lee's victory should fill a void.

Murray said politics across the board has become more accessible to woman of all races. He points to the election of former Dist. 18 U.S. Rep. Barbara Jordan to the House of Representatives during the sixties as the only other time a local African American woman has been involved in national politics.

He said Jackson-Lee shouldn't have a problem winning the seat in November over Republican Jerry Burley. He said because District 18 is primarily and historically a Democratic district, Jackson-Lee is considered a heavy favorite.

Murray said Jackson-Lee ran a good campaign, facing the fact that a large proportion of the prominent African American politicians supported Washington. He said name recognition, a good reputation and contributions from wealthy business people led to her victory.

CHRUNCH TIME FOR SA SENATE BILLS

Students' Association failed to make a quorum for the second time.

Only 12 of the 13 senators necessary for a quorum were in attendance. Last semester, SA failed to make quorum on two occasions.

With only one meeting left this term, senators have very little time to finish Senate business.

All the legislation currently in committee or on the floor dies after the session ends.

Five bills and three resolutions are now in danger of dying if the Senate is not able to consider them during their last meeting.

One of the resolutions calls for a formal review of SA finances. This resolution was in response to all the problems SA has faced over alleged ethical controversies.

Sources within SA expressed disappointment that an election was just held that many of those senators who were just reelected could not attend the meeting.

Historically, SA has been plagued by attendance problems that have contributed to the generally poor image SA has among students.

"It's illustrative of the state of affairs in the Senate and the lack of commitment to some extent of the leadership found within that body," said President Jason Fuller.

After last week's SA elections, some senators are unhappy with the results.

"I have worked real hard all year. The way it works now is that there is very little connection between the performance of an individual and his or her chances of being re-elected. It's hard to go up against a party that spent almost $2000," said Justin McMurty, an HFAC Senator who lost his bid to win an at-large seat.

Angie Milner's Uniting Students party spent over $1200 on the election. All the other parties spent less than $100.

"The candidates with the most money won. In our party, most of us just didn't have the money," said Dominic Corva, a NSM senator who ran on the Initiative ticket.

Fuller disagreed saying that Uniting Students didn't win just because they had more money.

Even though Dominic Lewinshon's party spent less than $50 on the election, he will face Milner in the runoff.

Uniting Students won 25 of 30 Senate seats. "I think it is amazing that Uniting Students did so well. I'm worried that Uniting Students will dominate the Senate if Henry (Bell) and I do not win," said Lewinshon.

Lewinshon announced that he and Bell, who ran with Coy Wheeler on the Initiative ticket, will run together.

Lewinshon and Bell have five main platform planks including examining and improving the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, reducing the minimum board requirements for dorms, supporting UH-based charitable events and fighting against further cuts in UH funding in Austin.

Lewinshon also wants to allow students to bubble in on their registration forms which games they will attend so tickets can be sent to directly to them.

He said this should help increase attendance at football games by making tickets more accessible.

SPRING BREAK AT LAST, LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT

Christy's Campus

It has been pretty rowdy around here lately. With Spring Break just around the corner, things aren't about to settle down. I know you are all counting the minutes until you hit the beach, slopes, keg or whatever. UH is gearing up for the big party week as well. Here's a few of the activities you can get in on.

<B>Tuesday, March 15<P>

•Come see <I>Backbeat<P> for free before it hits the big screen. The Student Program Board presents a special sneak preview of <I>Backbeat<P>, the story of the fifth Beatle, tonight at 8 p.m. in the Houston Room. This is a <I>free<P> showing but you must pick up passes in advance at the SPB office in the UC Underground, Room #59.

•SIDE OUT! Feel that warm weather, it's time for volleyball! Moody Towers hosts a volley ball tournament at 4:30 p.m. Six-person teams must call Veronica Young at 743—6052 before the tourney to be guaranteed a playing bracket. Prizes have been donated by Rother's Bookstore and ARA.

<B>Wednesday, March 16<P>

•VOTE TODAY! Vote in the Student Associations Elections all day at the UC, the Satellite, PGH, Pharmacy, Architecture, Optometry and Melcher. Only two votes made all the difference for Dominic Lewinsohn. Your vote counts!

•Come check out the best science fiction thriller of all time. The Student Program Board presents <I>Alien<P> at 7:30 p.m. in the Houston Room. Cost is only $1 with UH I.D., $2 all others.

•You've seen movies about it. You've heard about the experience, but have you ever tried VIRTUAL REALITY? The Student Program Board brings you Virtual Reality in the UC Arbor. Price is $1 with UH I.D., $2 for all others. If you're clueless, just come out and watch.

•Have some BBQ at noon in Lynn Eusan Park. The Interfraternity Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council present Greek Week 1994. Come out and chow with the Greeks!

•If you missed BBQ for lunch, try again for dinner. Housing Hoopla is boiling crawfish and barbecuing brisket from 4:30—7 p.m. between the tennis courts and the swimming pool. Meals are $5 on your boardcard/meal plan or cash. Food is provided by ARA.

<B>Thursday, March 17<P>

•VOTE TODAY in your Student Association Elections. This is your last chance to make a difference.

•Did you know that there is a proposal to relocate the Honors College, currently in the M.D. Anderson Library, to Oberholtzer Hall in the Quadrangle? The vice president of Student Affairs wants to hear your opinions. Dr. Elwyn Lee will host a discussion tonight at 8 p.m. in the Residence Halls Office located in the Quadrangle between Bates Hall and Law Hall. It's open to residents and non-residents. For more information contact Jerry Alwais at 743—6069.

•Feeling a little hungry? Buy some goodies at the M.D. Anderson's Staff Association bake sale in the PGH Breezeway from 9 a.m — 1 p.m. Proceeds benefit your library.

•Pinch somebody who's not wearing green. Kiss somebody Irish.

B>Friday, March 18<P>

•Finish that last class, take that last test, and get outta here! Have a great Spring Break and try to live to tell about it!

To have your information run in Christie's Campus, FAX it to 743—5384 or stop by Room 151 in the Communications Building.

DEBIT CARD'S ASSETS AND LIABILITIES

by Jesse W. Coleman

The UH card – a school identification card and credit card that would allow students to pay for their tuition, to buy books, to shop at the local mall and dine at their favorite restaurant – may be coming to UH.

Assistant Director of Residential Life and Housing, Jacquelyn Mitchell said the Campus Connection card has the potential of being such a card.

Students at Florida State University in Tallahassee have this type of card. They are the first university in United States to have the option to pay their tuition through their University I.D./debit card. Their debit card, financed by a local bank, allows the students to use ATM systems across the Southeast and Plus Networks all over the world.

FSU students, professors and employees can use the card to pay for haircuts, food, clothes, tires and other things. The card is the first campus I.D. card of its kind to be fully integrated into a banking system in the United States.

The FSU Card is similar to the campus connection card used in the UH Resident Halls. It has the student name and picture on the front side and a computerized magnetic strip on the back. This allows the students to itemize their meals instead paying one flat rate to eat in the cafeterias.

The UH Campus Connection cards allow a student to eat at four locations around campus, the Moody Towers, the Quad, the UC and the Satellite. The card is like a debit card, but students buy a meal plan ranging from $1000 to $2000. The type of plans are the Platinum, Gold, Silver, Diamond and Ruby.

"I hope someday students will be able to use the Campus Connection card for fee payments, at the bookstore and at athletic events," said Mitchell.

Mitchell said besides the campus residents, not a lot of people are taking advantage of the meal program. She said it is available to faculty, staff and students who live on and off campus.

She said for students who are not living on campus they can purchase connection cards worth $50 or more. She said the cards can be increased but not decreased.

The Campus Connection cards are being used with new system called National Brand Concepts. The concept allows restaurants to be franchised into the university cafeterias through ARA food services. Among the franchises are Blimpies, Pizza Hut, Chick Fil-A, Whataburger and Taco Bell.

"I like the idea," said Blaine E. Reed, a resident of the Moody Towers and card holder. Reed said an I.D./debit card would be accessible and convenient.

Joel Nahoun, a sophomore in English, said he wouldn't like an I.D./debit card, because there would be too much information in one place if he lost it.

SFA PROVIDES COOGS A FINAL TUNE-UP

The opening day of conference play is less than a week away for the Houston Cougars.

Today's 1 p.m. twin-bill against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks at Cougar Field is the Cougars' last chance for fine tuning before they open the Southwest Conference season against Rice Friday.

Head coach Bragg Stockton said he is looking to solidify the middle infield positions, find three more quality relief pitchers and find a backup catcher before this weekend.

Ryan Elizondo, Pat Cauley, Kyle Rigsby, Ray Trevino and Todd Whitting are all vying for playing time at shortstop and second base.

"I've told all the infielders to work on both sides of the bag," Stockton said.

Rigsby was named to the all-tournament team after hitting .600 in the Cougar Classic last weekend.

Cauley and Elizondo, who were the starters, have both struggled at the plate this season.

Stockton said the pitching rotation is set with Bo Hernandez, Matt Beech and Brad Towns making up the weekend conference rotation.

David Hamilton and Brian Hamilton, who will start the two games today against SFA, will be counted on out of the bullpen. Shane Buteaux is slated as the closer.

But Stockton still wants to find two or three more reliable relievers.

"We're still weak out of the pen," he said. "But when you pitch them each one inning, they do all right. It seems like their first inning is always the best one."

At times this season, Stockton has rotated pitchers every inning. Houston used nine pitchers in nine innings against Chicago State Sunday. They struck out a combined 16 batters.

First baseman Ricky Freeman and third baseman Tom Maleski both played catcher Sunday. Senior Mike Hatch is the Cougars only backstop with Division I experience.

The 11-3 blowout of Indiana State also allowed Stockton to give playing time to some seldom-used freshmen.

Freshmen catcher Josh Stewart hit a double in his first collegiate at-bat against Indiana State. His batting average now stands at the magical 1.000 mark.

Freshman third baseman Nathan Wied also hit a double against Indiana State and scored a run.

NO COMPLAINTS HERE

WOMEN'S 1600 RELAY TEAM SATISFIED WITH 2ND PLACE FINISH AT INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS

The Houston women's 1600-meter relay team fell short of its goals this weekend when they finished second in the NCAA Indoor Championships held in Indianapolis, Ind. But then second in the nation (ain't that bad) is nothing to be ashamed of.

The relay team (De'Angelia Johnson, Drexel Long, Nicole Ates and Cynthia Jackson) came in second for the second year in a row with a time of 3:35.23.

"It feels pretty good to get second again. We were hoping to get first but Nicole was hurt (pulled tendon)," Johnson said. "We thought we could win the Indoors."

The team now has its eyes set on the outdoor title.

"I'm proud of the team and I'm proud of what we got under the circumstances," Johnson said.

Joining the relay team were Cougars Dawn Burrell and Ubeja Anderson. Both ran the 55-meter hurdles.

Burrell ran a 8.03 in the preliminaries and a 7.88 in the semifinals but failed to qualify for the finals.

Anderson finished second in his prelims with a time of 7.28 and fourth in the semis at 7.34.

"I ran a decent race. I just didn't get out of the blocks at all," he said. "When I did get out I was too far behind."

Anderson said that he felt like the blocks slipped and that several runners had problems in their starts, but he took it all in stride.

"(The bad start was) just a thing that happened. You can't expect much because anything can happen in a race," he said.

The rest of the men's team spent Saturday across town at the Rice Invitational.

The team came in second despite less than friendly weather. A cold wind blew across the track all day, forcing head coach Tom Tellez to pull several of his runners for fear of injury.

"It's too cold. Nothing is going to be accomplished today," he said.

There were several bright spots early before the environment started to take its toll. Sheddric Fields won the long jump for the second week in a row with a leap of 24-10.

Fields attitude was one of nonchalance after the victory. "I was just trying to get my technique down," he said.

Allen Aldridge took first in the shot put with a toss of 56-1 1/4 and third in the discus with a throw of 166-2.

<B>Breaking in a new coach<P>

The Houston golf team, in its first tournament under new coach Rookie Dickenson, finished 13th with 915 points in the Golf Digest Collegiate at the TPC at The Woodlands March 11-13.

The Cougars were led by Dean Larsson, who tied for 27th with a three-day score of 225. His lowest 18-hole game was a 71, shot in the second round.

The Cougars' next tournament is the Morris Williams Intercollegiate at The Hills of Lakeway Golf Club in Austin March 21-22.

<B>Divers make it to NCAAs<P>

The diving team was at the NCAA pre-qualifying meet in Oklahoma City March 11—13. Both of the Cougar divers qualified for the NCAA Championships taking place in Indianapolis March 17—19.

In the pre-qualifier, Olivia Clark placed second in the 1-meter springboard and Donnelle Dubois finished third.

In the 3-meter competition, Clark finished third and Dubois was fifth. Clark, a two-time honorable mention All-American, was second and Dubois was fifth overall.

<B>Odds and ends<P>

The tennis team will be at the San Diego Classic March 18—20. The Cougars are 6-4 and are coming off their first loss in six matches to No. 1 Texas … The Houston Rugby Football Club will play host to the Barrie College club team out of Canada. The exhibition will begin at 7 p.m. March 16 in Robertson Stadium. Admission is free.

FRONT'S NOT FRONTING ON DEBUT RELEASE

by D. McAdams

"You Are Gonna Get Fucked Up (if you) Front," and you will too but not in the way you might think. There's more to life than gangsta rap where these North Carolina boys are concerned.

Featuring Spin 4th, Jingle Bel and D'ranged & Damaged, Yaggfu Front may well be the De La Soul of the 1990s. <I>Action Packed Adventure<P> takes us through the lives of three brothers from the oh-so-over-hyped Chapel Hill (Supersuckers) area. As it happens, Jingle Bel and Spin 4th went to Saint Aug and Damage went to North Carolina Central in Durham and North Carolina State in Raleigh. The record company plays on this fact, implying that Yaggfu's collegiate past adds an air of legitimacy to their rap, an unnecessary move because their skills speak for themselves.

And while they were in college, they must have majored in "Phat Rhymes 101" because, on the whole, this CD is all that and a bowl of grits.

From the moment you put this in your player your head will be bobbing like an apple in a bucket of water. If James Carville was in charge of promoting Yaggfu, he'd be quoted as saying, "It's the beats, stupid." The samples are dope.

The intro song "Fanfare and Preview" features a sample from a game show. The remaining songs feature Spin 4th on the stand-up bass, Jingle Bel on brass and Damage on the piano. The stand up bass flips, thumps and generally wrecks everything in sight.

"Where'd You Get Your Bo Bo's" features the stand up at its best, accompanied by a cool organ drop and drums that screw the jam tight. "Hook" has the piano setting the mood for a smooth jam with the sax sample dotting the i's and crossing the t's. "Busted Loop" has an evil sample cut with the stand up marching in goose-step precision with the lyrics.

"Black Liquid" tells of the travails of a student who gets up late and has to drink that dreaded substance – coffee – to get him going again. The bass sample rocks in accompaniment with a sultry sax sample. The title cut features an almost bubble gum Kid and Play-like intro with a jazz tempo. "Left Field" has that crazy bleating sax sample and nutty sounds which seem borrowed from a bad 1950s sci-fi movie, and the organ punctuates the song at the right moments.

"Hold 'em Back" is stand up bass crazy man and the acid jazz horns are spastic. And in the CD's arguably best song, "Frontline," Damage plays an annoying lounge singer in the intro. Then suddenly, without warning, the song breaks into this crazy sax smooth, wicked cuts, bass heavy joint with this great sample from Roy Ayers' "Love Fantasy." And this only scratches the surface of Yaggfu's 15 song debut.

The band's rap style is cool but their voices need a little work (they're reminiscent of Leaders of the New School's rap style). If you're a beat fiend, mow people down to get this CD – it's a goody.