FORCEFUL BLUES--PERIOD

by D. McAdams

There is not a more aptly named CD than Koko Taylor's <I>Force of Nature<P>.

Taylor is truly worthy of her CD's namesake. The music is the blues, pure and simple. It pulses, pounds and grumbles in a manner seemingly impossible to reproduce by those who haven't experienced life in America as African-Americans.

Koko Taylor embodies this experience in her singing and her music. Her singing is full of passion and spirit. One feels as though he is peeking into the soul and secrets of an entire people when he listens to Taylor sing. Her voice is full and round and wails a kind of mournful beauty that is the very essence of what is referred to as the blues.

But like a double-edged sword, her music not only examines the everyday trials and travails of an ordinary African-American woman, it also is a means for relaxation.

This other side of her music examines the lighter side of life, the side of life where after one has had life stomp on him all day, he goes to a "juke joint," drinks a beer, gets loud and dances, forgetting all that bothered him just a few hours earlier. (This other side to the blues is seen in Taylor's "Let the Juke Joint Jump.")

Taylor is supported by an excellent band of blues musicians. Criss Johnson is on lead guitar, Calvin "vino" Louden plays guitar, Jeremiah Africa plays keyboards, Jerry Murphy does the bass work, and Ray "Killer" Allison/Brady Williams alternately play the drums (with Cary Bell on harmonica and Gene Barge arranging the horns).

<I>Force<P> opens with "Mother Nature," a song that sets the gritty, bluesy pace that assails the listener throughout the CD Taylor does one of the coolest blues remakes of Moon Martin's "Born Under a Bad Sign" that has been made to date. But there is a bonus on this track, Buddy Guy does the leads and sings with Taylor.

"Don't Put Your Hands on Me" is a song whose time has certainly come. In it, Taylor gives fair warning who would dare be stupid enough to attempt abusing her. The horns on this particular track are excellent, funk style horns.

In general, all the tracks live up to billing.

If you are into serious, hardcore, heavy blues get <I>Force of Nature<P> and try to weather Koko Taylor's storm.

*******************************************************

ABOLISH ATHLETICS CAMPAIGN REVIVED

by Tiffany Vaughner

Because of the recent development in UH athletics, UH Faculty Senators passed a resolution Wednesday recommending the UH Board of Regents withdraw from intercollegiate athletics and begin emphasizing education.

Faculty Senate passed the resolution with 24 for the proposal, eight against and one abstention.

The resolution lists the five reasons why the Senate thinks complete withdrawal from all intercollegiate athletics is needed.

The first point states, "Regardless of conference affiliation, intercollegiate athletics will cost us ever more in financial resources." The resolution states that few athletics programs generate revenue for academic programs even during very successful years and that the more successful a program is the larger the appropriations.

The second point states, "This university cannot afford the present cost of athletics, let alone additional costs". According to the resolution, the athletics program pays for itself only through using more than $2,000,000 from the general budget and $2,000,000 from student fees.

The third point states, "The students do not support intercollegiate athletics." The resolution states that because UH is a commuter school and because adult and professional school students make up a large percentage of the student body, attendance will remain low. The resolution also said the city of Houston offers more varied entertainment opportunities than college sports.

Faculty Senate members said coaching staff are only concerned with win/loss records which are the determinants of their salaries and career plans. Therefore they believe education is never the main objective of any major athletics program.

The resolution states, "Major intercollegiate athletics is not the education, research or service mission of the university."

The fifth point states, "Concentrating on interrelated education and research ... would provide a new model for ... urban research universities; the current crisis can be a challenging, creative, and immensely beneficial opportunity."

The resolution stated that Senators believe college athletics no longer plays a definitive role in the university experience and the money spent on athletics could now go to smaller and more classes and the scholarships that now go to athletics could go to minorities.

A similar resolution was passed by the Senate last September but was squashed by UH President James Pickering. He said then that he disagreed with the Senators resolution to abolish the program but he did think reforms were necessary.

The Senate also gave its committee reports.

The budget committee will update the athletics department budget information this year and will find the reasons why the UH System's system tax has a rate of increase of 40 percent per year For fiscal year 1989-90 the campus gave $2,273,766 to the System. For fiscal year 1993-94 the system is budgeted to receive $8,721,578 (an increase of $6,439,306 in for years) from the campus

The educational policies committee will meet with Janice Hilliard, Assistant Athletic Director of Academic affairs to discuss the new position and Hilliard's plans to for improving the academic performance of athletes.

SIX-YEAR PLAN FACES UPDATING

by Jennifer Smith

The University Planning and Policy Committee met Monday to discuss their revision of the UH six-year plan (1995-96 to 2000-01).

George Magner, the chair of the UPPC, when asked about the purpose of the six-year plan, said "The six-year plan is updated every two years. Its purpose is to project over six years the objectives, goals, and needs of the university."

Magner said "The plan identifies the elements of the university that need to be evaluated and modified. It is essential to the reshaping goal. You can't reshape without a planning document."

Reshaping is a process designed as a catalyst to make facilities, money and time used more effectively.

The process has eliminated positions to save money, and combined colleges in hopes of making better use of building space and faculty. The University Planning and Policy Committee is partly in charge of advising UH President James Pickering in the process of planning and reshaping.

The purpose of this revision is both to integrate the university and state planning processes in such a manner that they can feed easily into each other, forming one seamless whole. and to present a draft that will be sent to UH governing groups.

The six year plan discusses ways to improve student retention, continue library and research support (this includes discussion of establishing new graduate fellowships as well as the renovation of research facilities), provide quality student environment, better use university resources and improve partnerships with public schools and the community.

In addition, targets for the number of incoming minority students were discussed, as well as the continuing of Affirmative Action hiring policies.

The committee also considered the possibility of replacing the campus physical plant, because it is old.

The committee discussed the advisability of using the savings from the proposed new plant's increased efficiency to pay for its construction, which would cost in the neighborhood of twenty million dollars.

Another capital project discussed was a new classroom building which would contain at least twenty thousand square feet. This facility, if built, would begin construction in the year 1997 and cost about twelve million dollars.

ANXIETY CAN BE CONTROLLED

by Marlene Yarborough

It is the fifth time you have looked at the clock in the past five minutes. Class seems endless today. If you could just get out of the classroom everything would be fine. You could leave early today, but you have not signed the roll yet. Okay, you tell yourself, relax. The clock has not moved. Maybe the professor will let class out early. You just can not sit still. Now you are starting to feel ill. You have to get out.

Is this spring fever come early? Perhaps, but for a large percentage of people it is an anxiety attack. Anxiety hits people of all ages. It affects 24 million Americans every year making it the most prevalent psychological problem in the country, says the National Institute of Mental Health.

TERRAP, an acronym for territorial apprehensiveness, is a program that was designed to treat individuals suffering from anxiety or phobias. It was developed 25 years ago by a California psychiatrist. TERRAP has since become the leading program for the treatment of anxiety in the United States, says TERRAP officials.

Students can be a primary target for panic attacks. They deal with a variety of pressures ranging from parent and grades to social pressures. For the severe sufferers, the thought of attending class can be unbearable. For some, the drive to campus can be a major deterrent. "Students have a lot of stress. Some suffer from school phobias," says Anthony J. Matranga, psychotherapist for TERRAP.

Characteristics for individuals with anxiety are above average intelligence, a sense of humor, sensitivity and perfectionism, says Shirley Riff, regional director of TERRAP.

TERRAP lists the possible symptoms resulting from this stress related condition as sweaty palms, heart palpitations, tight chest, hyperventilation, dizziness, nausea and the urge to escape.

Anxiety can be broken down into three basic types: territorial, resulting from specific places or events; social, fears associated to public speaking and social interactions; and generalized, individuals suffering from this type of anxiety are unable to pin-point the catalysts of their discomfort.

There are two main causes of panic, stuffing one's feelings and fallacious beliefs. These beliefs or 'negative drivers' come from trying to please everyone. "Anything that comes along that threatens to release those bottled up feelings brings on an attack," says Matranga. Learning to express feelings and ridding yourself of such beliefs are the steps to relieving stress.

There is help available. For further information about anxiety and phobias you can contact TERRAP at (713) 266-5111. Or dial (713)587-5351 to hear a prerecorded message by TERRAP on this topic.

IF IT'S ALL GREEK TO YOU, TRY THE NEW FOREIGN LANGUAGE LABS

by Kelly Caughlin

Student numbers are increasing as well as the computer equipment in the foreign language lab this year.

By having the language lab a requirement by some professors, students are using the lab more than ever, said Claire Bartlett, the Director of the language lab.

"The students come to the lab to do their assignments, and I want to make it as comfortable for them as I can," said Bartlett.

To make the lab comfortable, Bartlett has invested in new computers and is considering new furniture.

This is a place for the students to come to work on their language programs, therefore it needs to be in working condition at all times, said Bartlett.

The lab fee, which is paid for in the student fee bill, is used to help invest in the software for the lab.

The Faculty Senate has voted for students who take a foreign language each semester to pay a $10 lab fee each semester, but this proposal has not passed the in SA Senate yet.

The lab consists of fairly new computers and programs, dating back to the summer of 1992, when Dr. Barry Brown, the former director of the lab, put in the IBM computers.

Soon after Dr. Brown, Dwayne Franklet took over the lab and invested into the System D, Word Perfect spell-check program for French.

The students at this time didn't know of the programs available to them, said Vadim Katz, a work/study student at the lab. The only equipment that was being used were the cassette tapes, which could be checked out.

Claire Bartlett, the present director, began in the fall of '93. She began the changes immediately by orientating the faculty and professors on the computer equipment.

The teachers seemed to enjoy the outside work in the lab, with the combination of listening, watching, and interacting, said Bartlett.

The lab now has 13 IBM computers and Macintosh. There are specific programs for Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish in each computer.

The most frequently used programs in the lab are the Spanish micro-tutor and the System D for French.

The lab is now required by many professors for their students. There are 10 experimental classes this semester using the "Destinos" Spanish program.

Another program is being introduced to faculty called "Pics Preview" in Spanish, French and German. New programs are always being introduced to faculty, said Bartlett, that way they can find new learning techniques for their students.

At the end of the spring semester, a study will be given to measure the progress of the students that have been using the lab.

"Hopefully the study will show increases in the students so we can expand our program," said Bartlett.

The lab is open on Mondays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Tuesdays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

"I'm finding that more and more students are taking advantage of our working hours, especially at 8 a.m.," said Bartlett.

NEW ATHLETIC FACILITY TO IMPROVE PROGRAMS

Looking at the remains of Cougar Field and the tennis courts may leave many students in doubt about the controversial new $30 million athletic facility, scheduled for completion in the spring of 1995.

Arguments against it aside, the facility promises to be massive both in structure and in the boost it will give to UH athletics.

"The facility will address needs in practically every area of our organization," Athletic Director Bill Carr said. "It will be a quantum leap for our program."

One area in which the facility is expected to dramatically improve Houston's status is that of conference realignment.

Last month, Carr chose not to attend a meeting of the minds between the three other Southwest Conference schools not invited to join the Big Eight.

"The facility is a major factor in presenting ourselves with credibility for representation in a major conference," Carr said. "We need to let that building have its impact on our program."

The indoor portion of the facility will include a covered football practice field. When not being used, the field can be removed to accommodate a six-lane track, four tennis courts, and three multi-purpose volleyball/basketball courts, according to architectural conceptualization.

Carr said that he anticipated track meets being scheduled indoors, but lack of seating space was a concern for scheduling too many competitive events.

The term "facility" also includes an outdoor baseball field, which will be completed by January or February of 1995, and outdoor tennis courts. The tennis courts will be built over the summer.

"Our tennis team gets rained out frequently," assistant athletic director Bill McGillis said. "It (the facility) will be a big help to them."

The old tennis courts have already been removed. Cougar Field is scheduled for demolition on April 1.

Currently, "home" tennis matches are being played at off-campus clubs, while baseball games to be played at Houston will now be played at Rice, TCU, and A&M.

Another aspect of the new facility which will aid the university is the fact that it will free up Hofheinz Pavilion for other purposes.

"We need to generate revenue from Hofheinz, through concerts and such," McGillis said. "That's difficult right now, because when basketball starts up, you have both men's and women's (basketball) that can't be moved."

Carr could not comment on just how much revenue might come from renting out Hofheinz, but did say that he would consider only "qualified" promoters.

Space for other amenities has been provided. A 16,000-square-foot weight room, an extensively equipped academic study area and a lobby featuring the Cougar Hall of Fame and Trophy Room, which will house Andre Ware's Heisman Trophy, among others, are all in the plans.

"It (the hall) will include all kinds of displays from all kinds of sports," Carr said. "There are a lot of high points in our athletic history."

ANDERSON HURDLES HIS FORTUNES

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS AT HOUSTON TRACKSTER'S BECK AND CALL

The future is wide open for Ubeja Anderson.

The 19-year-old Cougar hurdler already has numerous accomplishments under his belt. Yet there are still no boundaries to what he can accomplish.

Through a year and a half of college, he has been to the NCAA Indoor Championships twice in two opportunities and the outdoors in his one and only chance. He is sure to go to this year's outdoors at the end of the season.

His coach, UH track chief Tom Tellez, has called him one of the greatest collegiate hurdlers in the country.

"He's a very good athlete and very coachable," Tellez added. "I think he's a great asset to our team. In the next few years I think he's going to develop into one of the better hurdlers in the United States. He's got the right attitude and the talent."

While the 110-meter hurdles will remain his main event -- he also desires to run the 100 and 200 sprints -- he will probably run on the 400-meter relay team.

Anderson will be joining the rest of the track team for the first time in the outdoor season. The Cougars will be competing in the Texas Southern Relays March 18-19.

Once there, Anderson predicts he will automatically qualify for the outdoor NCAAs in the 110 hurdles and said he thinks he will eventually qualify in the 200. He said the relay team should also make the NCAAs.

Through all his success, this young man has remained confident, yet not conceited, and the pressure has not affected him.

Anderson graduated with the class of '92 from Unis High School in Unis, La., a small town of maybe 16,000.

There he enjoyed great success, winning the state title three years in a row in the hurdles and going to nationals his junior and senior years.

His senior year he won the event and still wears the ring, the only momento kept from high school.

Obviously, he was highly recruited coming out of high school and Florida was his first choice.

"There wasn't too many people who didn't try to recruit me," he said. "Houston did recruit me, but there was certain things that I was looking for coming out of high school. The big schools, the glamour schools, the money schools, the ones with the best facilities.

"When I went to Florida, I found out that track and field is not all about those things. It's about coaching and people who care about you."

It was the coaching that brought Anderson to Houston. With names like Carl Lewis and Leroy Burrell, the tradition in Robertson Stadium is ripe.

Anderson is looking to follow in their footsteps, or more literally, their strides.

"Right now my main goal is to run real fast so this summer I can go overseas and hopefully run a few meets over in Europe," Anderson said. "Then when '96 rolls around, I hope to be in the Olympic trials and make it to the Olympics (in Atlanta)."

It was his sister that got Anderson interested in running. They ran summer track together where Anderson's coach told him that he was not fast and could not jump far, so maybe he should run the hurdles since not that many kids ran them.

In trying the new event, he discovered two things: Success and that track and field can be an exciting sport, despite what many may think.

"It is very different from football and basketball," he said.

Asked if there were any sports he would have chosen instead of track he replied, "Yeah, baseball. I wish I probably could have gone into baseball because the world pretty much works on money. "Basically that's the only other thing I can say about regretting any other sport. Other than that I don't think I would trade track because it's so different and it's so fun."

Especially the hurdles. It is different than all the other running events.

"A lot of people think that it is just running over a barrier but it's a lot more than that," he said. "If you don't do certain things correctly then there are a lot of things that can go wrong. You have to stay focused.

"Actually, it's almost like driving a stick-shift. Once you learn how to shift good, you eventually don't know you're shifting."

Even if Anderson is in a groove where hurdling has become second nature, there is still much to learn.

"There's still a lot I need to work on," he said. "The learning process pretty much never stops until you get to a point where there's no more you can learn. I'm still a ways from that. I'm still very young and I have a long way to go."

But when he gets there, look out.

"Everybody knows Carl and Leroy, but they don't exactly know a lot of hurdlers. Basically, I think hurdles will be the sport of the next ten years," he said.

Asked if everyone will know Ubeja Anderson, his reply was simple.

"They definitely will."

MARCH MADNESS DISTANT 2ND TO SUNCOAST BASEBALL

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE MORE MEANINGFUL TO HOUSTON FANS

I was talking to an acquaintance today about the upcoming NCAA basketball tournament, and he remarked, "The only thing I hate about the tournament is that it comes in the middle of baseball spring training, and nothing's more important to me than that."

Well, after the laughter in the room died down, I began to think: For Houston sports fans, doesn't the guy have a point?

It's hard to compare any postseason in any sport to the NCAA hoops tournament, I know, and spring training is only preseason. But think about it.

Anybody here still remember the UH basketball season? Hell, is anyone still thinking about TSU basketball after its first-round seeding (Duke)?

On the other hand, check out the Astros in Florida. Trade rumors swirling, Doug Drabek and Greg Swindell trying to come back and three exciting rookies -- Phil Nevin, Roberto Petagine, and James Mouton -- fighting for a spot on the big club. See, the games <I>do<P> mean something.

Spring training as a whole does tend to seem a little pointless at times. Half the players' names you read in the paper are a mystery.

One name this year is turning a few heads. Michael Jordan, who some say is the best basketball player ever, will be swinging at sliders a few more days before the White Sox send him to Single-A.

Publicity stunt? Yeah. But do you think Dean Smith would kill to have Jordan back in blue-and-white for one more run at the title? Do you think the NCAA would kill for that excitement? North Carolina may win it without him, but. . .

Maybe they should have a spring training championship series. There are enough baseball teams around who haven't even been <I>in<P> a World Series to fill up a division all by themselves. How else are the Mariners going to win anything?

The NCAA Tournament really doesn't prove anything when you think about it. In one game, any team can beat any other team. How else did Phi Slama Jama lose to North Carolina State in '83?

Those more cynical Cougar fans might wonder how this year's team could lose to UT-San Antonio. Either way, the point remains the same. One game is just that, one game.

A series doesn't leave any doubts, but try telling that to the NCAA. College basketball has had more No.1 teams this year than the Astros have had weak-hitting backup catchers in their history.

You don't have to deal with pollsters in spring training because wins and losses don't mean a thing. The Astros lost a spring training game to Cleveland recently. Think that would drop them a few spots?

The No. 1 team in college basketball coming into the tournament is North Carolina. This wouldn't be too controversial, but the Heels scraped by Wake Forest in their conference championship game by two points.

Say, isn't Rodney Rogers playing for the Nuggets now? No. 1 has been a winner-by-default prize all year.

Baseball has been the subject of some debate as well. The San Francisco Giants won 103 games last year and didn't get a postseason berth of any kind.

Perhaps that's why spring training is so appealing. It's a chance to get away from all the games-back fretting and remembering the chokes of pennant races past. All there is is the game, pure and simple.

And in Houston, a city where losing in sports, both professional and collegiate, has long been a theme, it is beautiful to watch a sport where winning and losing doesn't matter.

GOLF TEAM SPORTS NEW ROOKIE IN ITS RANKS

Who is Rookie Dickenson?

Well, for all those that do not follow the prestigious golf program of Houston, he's the interim golf coach that has been asked to replace Keith Fergus, who resigned last week.

Dickenson is a former assistant athletic director for Houston. He came out of retirement to help out the golf team, which was left without a coach in the middle of the season.

Fergus said that he resigned because he wanted to play competitive golf and design golf courses.

When Dickenson was asked about his reaction on the news he replied, "I certainly didn't ask for it. I was surprised, I think everyone was."

He does have coaching experience. He was coach for the South Texas College golf team. In 1975, that school became the University of Houston-Downtown campus.

Now Dickenson is just trying to help weather the storm until a permanent coach can be found at the end of the season.

"As long as I stay out of their way, they'll do fine," he said of his newly acquired disciples.

Considering the Cougars placed 13th in a field of 15 at last week's Golf Digest, maybe they need a little bit more hands-on training.

Track team comes together

The Texas Southern Relays are set to begin March 18-19, and this will mark the first time during the outdoor season that the entire team has been together.

During the past two weeks, different members of the team have been in different places, either a last chance qualifier or a national meet.

Including the TSU Relays, there are only five more meets before the Southwest Conference Outdoor Championships, which will be held at Rice April 23-24.

This is the earliest that the conference meet has ever been held. This, in part, is due to the fact that Rice ends their classes so early.

In fact, Rice students finish so early that the Mizuno Houston Invitational, held at Robertson Stadium, is two weeks after the SWC meet. All in all, there are four meets in between the SWC meet and the NCAA Outdoor Championships June 1-4 in Boise, Idaho.

Tennis team finds way

The Cougar tennis team is like the prodigal son.

For two seasons they did not win a conference match. Suddenly, the tennis courts are torn down and the team is left without a home. As a result, the Cougars have their first conference win in two years and there is more to come.

Next year when they return to their new home, they will be a different team.

The Cougars will be in sunny California March 18-20 for the San Diego Classic.

Keep on diving

The diving team will be in not-so-sunny Indianapolis, Ind., March 17-19 for the NCAA Championships.

The diving team, comprised of juniors Olivia Clark and Donnelle DuBois, qualified for the meet by placing second and fifth respectively at the NCAA pre-qualifier in Oklahoma City, Okla.

This is Clark's third trip to the NCAAs and DuBois' first.

Jose who?

The baseball team opens up SWC play March 18-19 in a three-game series against Rice at Cougar Field. The Owls boast a name that most Houstonians might recognize -- Jose Cruz Jr., who plays in the outfield like his dad Jose did for the Astros for 13 years.

They Cougars just swept a doubleheader against Stephen F. Austin March 15. They are entering the SWC with a record of 18-11 and are currently sixth in the conference.

For more information about SWC baseball, be sure to read the baseball special March 31 in your favorite periodical, the Daily Cougar.

NOT THE OSCARS -- IT'S THE WILSONS!

In the Can

Glenn R. Wilson Jr.

With the date of the Academy Awards creeping ever closer, I thought it was about time for one of the most anticipated events to precursor the Oscars.

I am of course speaking of the <I>Wilson Awards<P>.

Every year I give out these awards in my head, but since I now have a newspaper column with which to spread my propaganda, I intend to take full advantage of it and spew forth my critiques, and honors for the year that was in film.

Let me begin with the standard awards. As far as Best Picture is concerned, the winner without a doubt is <I>Schindler's List<P>. Steven Spielberg has finally wrapped his enormous talent into a picture that not even the Academy could deny its due. But these are the Wilson Awards and the Academy has no say in my selection process, so enjoy your award Stevie!

As far as best performances are concerned my picks are Holly Hunter in <I>The Piano<P> and Tom Hanks in <I>Philadelphia<P>. Both deserve these honors because I truly believe they demonstrated a talent for acting that I had never really seen in their previous performances.

But enough of the standard awards, let's get to the good stuff!

The honor of Best Film to Flop at the Box Office goes to <I>So I Married an Axe Murderer<P>. This was a funny movie! Apparently though, I was the only person who thought so because it failed to generate any revenue in theatres. But I strongly recommend you give it a good looking at on home video, you won't regret it!

The Best Cameo of the year is a tie between two actors who both appeared in <I>So I Married An Axe Murderer<P>. Alan Arkin and Charles Grodin both had unbilled cameos and were funnier than anyone else in the movie, except Mike Myers. A close runner up is Buddy Ebson's cameo in <I>The Beverly Hillbillies<P> playing, who else but Barnaby Jones.

I define a "sleeper" as any movie you probably never heard of, but is definitely worth seeing. The award for Best Sleeper goes to Stephen Frears's <I>The Snapper<P>. This film is a sequel to <I>The Commitments<P> only in the sense that it is a continuation of the adventures of the family from <I>The Commitments<P>. It could easily stand on its own as a very funny comedy. And judging from his performance here, I predict it's only a matter of time before Colm Meaney escapes his Star Trek character and emerges as a very fine actor in his own right.

The dishonor of Biggest Copout of the year goes to Jonathan Demme's <I>Philadelphia<P>. A major disappointment in that it had the chance to be Hollywood's first "A" picture to deal with the AIDS crisis in this country seriously and honestly.

Instead it turned into two hours of nonsensical preaching about how dreadful the disease is to those who have it. Duh!! Like we don't already know this? How about letting us see what it would be like in the real world and not in Fantasy Land! It's a shame that Tom Hanks's brilliant performance is buried beneath such a pile of drivel.

The Goofiest Movie of the year is <I>Cabin Boy<P>. It was incredibly infantile. It was incredibly inane. And it was so muddled it often made absolutely no sense. But I had the best time of the year watching this movie and I don't remember laughing so hard since <I>Top Secret!<P> Chris Elliot belongs on the big screen, but he will probably have to settle for the small screen after this film's failure at the box office.

It should be noted that David Letterman's big screen debut is in this film and it runs a close third in the race for Best Cameo.

Then of course there's the Best Performance by an Animal in which the T. Rex from <I>Jurassic Park<P> narrowly edged out Stallone in <I>Demolition Man<P>.

There's the Sophomore Jinx Award to Quentin Tarrantino who gave us <I>True Romance<P>, a disappointing follow-up to <I>Reservoir Dogs<P>.

And what would the Wilson Awards be without the inclusion of this year's winner of the Joey Buttafuco Lifetime of Overindulgence Award: Arnold Schwarzenneger, who definitely got more than he bargained for with <I>Last Action Hero<P>.

There are plenty of other awards I could bestow upon a variety of different films, but I shall refrain from listing anymore here. Watch for my book!

Wilson is a postbaccalaureate student studying history and government.

BAYADERE IS SLACK-JAWED, MAGICAL BALLET

by Manuel Esparza

There is a lot of magic being created in the Wortham Center.

Maybe its because of the building's shape or possibly due to its geographical location. More than likely it was emanating from the dancers in the Houston Ballet.

The energetic and exceptional performances that punctuated all three peices of their Spring Repertory could only come from forces not described in physics class.

Opening the magical evening, the company gave its Houston premiere of <I>La Bayadere<P> Act IV, in which Martha Butler's and Carlos Acosta's dancing outshone anything else to come. <I> La Bayadere<P> is the tale of Nikiya, a bayadere (temple dancer), and Solor, a soldier. Though they are in love, he becomes engaged to another. She poisons Nikiya and Solor is heart broken. In an opium haze, he enters the Kingdom of the Shades and briefly joins Nikiya.

Act IV has Solon joining Nikiya. In their pas de deaux, Butler and Acosta danced with an instinctive quality, as if they had worked together for years. In her solos, Butler's speed was dazzling, her footwork exact, and her style very feminine. She floated across the stage on point as if that were the only way to move.

From virtually out of nowhere, Carlos Acosta has descended on the Houston stage, luckily for us.

His leaps have a longer hang time than 'Air' Jordan and a flexibility that rivals Stretch Armstrong. In a solo that left the audience slack jawed and bug eyed, he held the poise and power of a jungle cat. His spins were always centered, his leaps pulled to maximun extension, and his spinning leaps kept under effortless control.

In a bold program, the company performed <I>The Miraculus Mandarin<P> , Set to a stark score by Bela Bartok, Ben Stevenson wrote an equally harsh work.

In a scam, Mimi is the bait, luring men into the building where upon they are jumped by her thug accomplices. In walks the Mandarin, who Mimi falls for. He is smothered, stabbed, and finally hanged yet he still won't die. It takes an act of love from Mimi so that the Mandarin can die.

In a piece constantly abuzz with activity, Janie Parker's Mimi keeps the work moving. She had a very strong stage presence that reflected the coldness of the role.

Lampooning all that is ballet, <I>Symphony In D<P> was a welcome relief to the preceding drama. The parodies ran from slapstick to subtle (even the name is a play on Balanchine's <I>Symphony In C<P>.

The ballerinas were clad in dainty pink pantaloons, while the men had turn of the century swim costumes. With energy levels high, role reversals were the norm and all regard for chivalry was thrown out. Hey it had the whole audience laughing at the madness.

Through the lighthearted nonsense, Ermanno Florio led the Houston Ballet Orchestra through classic but strong renditions of Hayden's "Clock" and "Chase" symphonies.

There are still performances left, Friday and Saturday at 7:30 and the 2:00 p.m. Sunday matinee.

Your student ID is good for more than opening locked doors. Its good for rush tickets that run at a ridiculusly low price. Call 227-ARTS for all the ticket info.