SAD PYGMY SQUELS

by D. McAdams

The inlay cover says it all.

"Sad Pygmy is: Carol Sandin – bass, vocals, clarinet, bitching; Bob Lederer – drums, howls, table dancing; C-Dog – guitar, vocals, additional bitching."

It's been a long time since anyone's such good bitching and moaning. <I>Tomato Halo<P> got an A.

If you're into angst with a smile, buy this CD. Threaten to blow up the Lincoln Tunnel, do anything you must, but get this release. <I>Tomato Halo<P> is a jewel in the crown of our oh so ignored local music scene.

Interspersed throughout the work are experimental, Pain Teens-y cuts ("When This Takes Effect," "Schreckenghost," "Something in My Head"). But on the whole, the songs take on a punk-core edge.

The opening track, "Speechless," features a cool bass led riff with a spooky sounding theramin wailing in the background. Immediately following it is "G.O.M.B.," a song in which Sandin rages, "Go screw off! Get off my back!" Not all Pygmy songs are so deep.

Check out the very tongue in cheek "Light Beer," "Condiment Conspiracy" or the really profound "Fishsticks of Doom." "Transcendental Maggot" takes us on a journey through the hippy, trippy world the members of Sad Pygmy seem to enjoy living in.

A personal favorite on <I>Halo<P> is "Sometimes Nightmares." You gotta love a song which opens with the singer screaming, "No! Don't touch me!"

A friend once said that some of the members now in Sad Pygmy were once in Trailor Trash (a band whose only recording was on one of the <I>Manifestation<P> discs of local avant garde bands). Trailor Trash was undoubtedly one of the fun and funniest bands in Houston at the time.

If some of Pygmy's members were once in Trailor Trash, they've kept their happy go lucky ways alive and kicking.

Contact Lazy Squid Records at P.O. Box 52621, Houston, Texas 77052-2621 and find out if they were in Trailor Trash, or just to get to know Sad Pygmy a little better.

*******************************************************

NEW BLOOD FLOWS IN SA SENATE

After this year's Student Association election, the Uniting Students party is in and the Initiative party is out.

Most of the newly-elected senators have never served in SA before.

Internal Affairs Committee Chair Greg Propes, who served in two senates, said that in last year's senate they had a similar situation.

"Everybody was virtually unaware of SA policies and writing legislation, so we kind of crashed and burned until we could figure out what we were doing," he said.

Propes said that having someone as experienced as Angie Milner serving as president will help the situation.

Uniting Students won 25 of 34 senate seats. Only six of those elected from the party had served previously.

Such vocal Initiative senators as Stephanie Felts, Justin McMurtry and Coy Wheeler lost their individual races.

President Jason Fuller said he was pleased that McMurtry and Wheeler, who have been his vocal opponents, will not be returning.

"I would hope this administration would not be racked with the same sort of individuals who accomplished little more than stirring the waters and starting fires," Fuller said.

Wheeler lost in a highly-contested presidential race to Uniting Students candidate Milner.

McMurtry, who authored much of the legislation passed this term, lost his bid to become a senator-at-large.

On the Uniting Students side, a whole new crop of senators were elected including Jerome Ronanillo, Brad Hubbel and James Cabe.

From the Initiative slate, only five senators were elected.

"It might be good to get some new blood in there," said Wheeler.

The present senate ended with only six of the original senators completing their elected terms.

The rest of the senators either resigned or were dropped due to absenteeism.

Angie Milner, the president-elect, said she hopes this newly-elected senate will not experience the same absenteeism problems that have plagued past senates.

SENATE GOES OUT WITHOUT A BANG

The 30th Administration's last Senate meeting ended amiably with the passing of one bill calling for the accountability of Senate speakers and a resolution commending the administration's reaction to realignment of the Big 8.

Hunter Jackson, a College of Business senator, authored the bill that will make the Senate speaker accountable for ensuring that the Senate journals are completed at the end of their term.

The need for the legislation arose after it was revealed that the Michelle Palmer, the speaker in the 29th administration, failed to sign much of the legislation passed.

"It guarantees that we won't have this problem again," said Jackson.

The speaker cannot be paid their final compensation until they submit a journal completed through the next-to-the-last meeting by April 1.

Wheeler said his journal has been kept up and will be completed at the end of his term.

The resolution commending the UH Regents and administration for their quick response to the UH amendment passed easily.

Greg Propes tried to get a resolution passed calling for the formal review of SA finances by the Office of Accounting Services.

Accounting Services is already conducting the review.

Propes said the resolution was "kind of moot because it's already being done."

"A lot of expenses are uncontrolled by SA. We do know where the money went," said Steven Shortt, director of finance.

Shortt was responding to Propes comment that the reason for the review was to find out where the money went.

Some bills were allowed to die in committee. The bill calling for restricting inauguration expenses to one percent of the SA budget died.

Another bill seeking to reform of the election process also died.

Dominic Corva, Student Life committee chairman, allowed a bill calling for placing a Copycard machine in the Computing Center to die because it would cost $7,000 to start up.

Corva said this Senate did not have the money to fund this expenditure.

Two other bills and one resolution died in committee because the Senate ran out of time to consider them.

At this meeting, 14 out of 22 senators attended. Senate Speaker Coy Wheeler, since the last meeting, cut two more senators because of absenteeism.

Two weeks ago, the Senate failed to make a quorum. Normally there are 34 senators but because of absenteeism problems only 22 remain.

Pat Brown, SA vice president, announced that 10 of 14 colleges are sponsoring teams for Frontier Fiesta April 7—9.

"People are excited. We are trying to represent all of the people on campus," Brown said.

ASSAULTS, STUDENT'S DEATH KEEP UHPD BUSY

While performing her normal duties, a custodian found someone lying down in the fourth floor lab of the Science and Research 2 building, said Geri Konigsberg of UH media relations.

"She called UH police. They dispatched their officers and called an ambulance and the Houston Police Department," Konigsberg said.

The 27-year-old graduate biology student and teaching assistant was transported to Hermann Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

"The cause of death has not been determined," she said. "He may have died from ingesting a drug or some other chemical."

Confiscated at the scene was a vial believed to contain the possible ingested substance. The death is currently under investigation by UHPD and the possibility of suicide is being considered.

"The death was recent; it may have happened shortly before the housekeeper found him," Konigsberg said.

During classes, the TA's students were informed of the untimely death. For students who are having a difficult time dealing with a fellow student's death, several options are available to help alleviate the pressure.

"Some may find solace from religion and there are religious organizations on campus available," said Gerald Osborne, assistant vice president of Counseling and Testing. "The Health Center can also be of help for those dealing with stress and advisers can be of help as well."

"Students also tend to be good at comforting one another," he said.

Also Monday, two students were robbed of their wallets and jewelry at 3:20 a.m. in parking lot 13A next to the Heyne Building.

According to a UHPD report, the two students drove into the lot to drop off items when they were approached by a man walking toward them coming from the direction of the quadrangle dorms.

Pointing a pistol at the two he said, "Give me your wallets," the report said. Also asking for their jewelry he said, "Hurry up, I don't want to kill anybody."

He then looked through their car, but did not take anything, and told them not to move as he walked away toward Wheeler, the report said.

Neither student was injured during the robbery.

The suspect is described as a black man with a dark brown complexion and a closely cropped haircut. He has brown eyes, no facial hair, is 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighs about 160 pounds and is between 18 and 24-years-old.

He was wearing light blue jeans and a long-sleeved white shirt with red and blue vertical stripes. The weapon was described as a silver, "palm-sized" semi-automatic pistol.

Finally, a lone student reading a newspaper in his car was robbed at gunpoint of money, personal items and his car in lot 15D across Holman Street from the Fouke Athletic building.

At 1:35 p.m. the student was approached by a man flashing a handgun in the window and demanding his watch, according to a UHPD report.

After the student surrendered the watch he was told to get out of his car and was asked for the keys and any money he had. He said both were in the car, the report said.

After instructing the victim to turn around and walk away, the two men fled the lot in the student's car.

The gun-wielding suspect is described as a black man with a dark complexion and short black hair. He has no facial hair and is 6 feet 1 inch tall weighing about 175 pounds.

He is believed to be between 18 and 24-years-old and was wearing a red baseball cap, 3/4 length dark blue baggy shorts and a shirt with blue vertical stripes. His gun was a "large-framed" semi-automatic handgun.

The car was a white, four-door 1989 Toyota Cressida with the license plate number 726—YRJ.

The second suspect was also a black man about 5 feet 10 inches, wearing a dark-colored baseball cap.

Anyone with information about the two robberies is urged to call UHPD at 743—3333.

ONLY MEMORIES WILL REMAIN OF COUGAR FIELD

27 YEARS OF HISTORY RAZED AFTER TODAY

Today's 2 p.m. game between Houston and No. 21 Lamar will be the last baseball game played at Cougar Field.

The memories will last longer, however.

"I have a lot of mixed emotions about it," said Houston head coach Bragg Stockton. "There's a lot of memories for me. But you know what's going to be here."

What will replace Cougar Field is a new 5,000-seat, lighted stadium. The new stadium is part of the $25 million athletic facility currently under construction.

The field must be razed now so the grass in the new stadium will have time to fully grow before next season.

Houston will play the remainder of its non-conference home schedule at Rice's Cameron Field. The Cougars' only remaining Southwest Conference home series, against Texas Christian April 22 and 23, will be played in College Station at Texas A&M's Olsen Field.

Houston has played at Cougar Field since 1968. The first game was a 9-2 loss to Lamar.

Through its history, the park earned the reputation of being a good hitters' field. The 22-foot tall green, mesh-covered fence in center field provides a backdrop that makes pitches easier to see. The small dimensions (325 feet down the lines, 390 in center, 365 in the power alleys) are a welcome sight for power hitters.

"The park has always been one where wind played a factor," Stockton said. "The wind blows out. It's almost a hitter's paradise.

"It's a great place to learn how to pitch."

Houston has produced such professional pitchers as Doug Drabek, Anthony Young and Raynor Noble. All played their college home games at Cougar Field.

Stockton said some of his favorite memories are of late-inning heroics that earned Houston trips to the SWC tournament.

"In 1981, right out there in center field, Mark Laverspere made this diving catch with two outs and the bases loaded in the ninth to give us a one-run win over TCU and send us into the tournament," he said.

"In 1989, in the 10th against (Texas) Tech, Scott Sheldon laid down a squeeze bunt to send us into the tournament.

"Both of those games, if you win you're in. If not, you're out."

The Cougars went to eight SWC tournaments during the 27 years they played at Cougar Field, the last coming in 1990. Houston's record was 785-545-3 overall, 134-107-3 in SWC games, which the Cougars began playing in 1973.

COOGS TAKE 3RD AT BORDER

NONE-TOO-SOON RESURGENCE AN OPTIMISTIC PROPHECY

The Cougars rebounded from their 11th-place finish at the Morris Williams Intercollegiate in Austin to take third in the 43rd Border Olympics in Laredo over the weekend.

They shot a three-round total 22-over-par 906, just four shots behind tournament winner Arkansas. Southern Methodist finished second with a 905.

Texas Tech's Bryan Novoa grabbed the individual honors with a 2-over-par 218 that included rounds of 70 and 69 before stumbling to a 79 the final day on the 7,125-yard, par-72 course at Laredo Country Club.

Brad Montgomery, a senior from Sugarland, led all Cougars in tying for fifth with Heath Fell of Michigan State at 225.

He was followed by junior Anders Hansen (228, tied for eighth), senior Eric Bogar (229, 11th), freshman Noel Barfoot (232) and senior Dean Larsson (235).

The third-place finish could not have been more timely for Houston, which next hosts the All-America Intercollegiate Invitational at Old Orchard Golf Club in Richmond April 12-13.

The Cougars won their event last year and only finished out of the top 10 once, when they placed 15th at the Golf Digest Invitational.

They finished 13th there this year, just days after 1992 Southwest Conference Coach of the Year Keith Fergus announced his resignation, citing a desire to return to the PGA Tour after a seven-year hiatus.

Fergus took the team to the NCAA Central Regional last year and a 15th place finish.

Under interim coach Rookie Dickinson, the team slipped in the Golf Digest and Morris Williams before its resurgence at the Border Olympics.

Houston had looked unstoppable prior to Fergus quitting and are just now regaining their championship form, which could take them to the NCAA Regional again this year and possibly the Championships.