PROCLAIMERS' SUPER HIGHWAY

by Tom Turner

"Your way? No way. You do it my way. Or you can hit the highway."

The pop music of The Proclaimers has returned once more with the arrival of their third album, <I>Hit The Highway<P>. OK, so we've all heard "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" till we were blue in the face, but the latest work by the group is possibly the best to date.

The Proclaimers have produced three albums, most of which have gained a good deal of notoriety in Europe as well as the U.S. After the their success with <I>Sunshine on Leith<P>, first released in 1988, the group has completed its first album in five years.

The 12-track release ranges from straight forward pop music to a few ballad-like songs. Overall, most of the songs are fairly interesting. However, a couple of the tracks tend to be a bit too sappy, such as "Let's Get Married."

The main focus for The Proclaimers is founded on a sense of honesty and simplicity in their playing as well as their lyrics. The group was founded by Craig and Charlie Reid, who have been performing together for more than 11 years. The group's initial success in the U.S. arrived when Mary Stuart Masterson helped steer "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" into becoming the theme for the film <I>Benny & Joon<P>.

"The next album has to be the best thing we've ever done," stated Charlie Reid, "or else there's no point in putting it out. I couldn't sleep at night if it wasn't a step up, if I thought we'd receded or something."

<I>Hit The Highway<P> combines the groups acoustic, pop feel with a clear overall sound. Some of the stronger tracks on the latest release include, "The More I Believe," "Follow The Money," the title cut, "Hit The Highway," and "A Long Long Long Time Ago." The title cut features a three-piece brass section, which adds a new dimension of sound for the group.

For anyone who enjoys the music of The Proclaimers, the group's latest release <I>Hit The Highway<P> will not fail.

*******************************************************

AAS CELEBRATION HOSTS SEMINARS AND DIVERSIONS

by Tiffany Vaughner

UH's African American Studies program will host its first national symposium addressing community issues and future strategies for UH and AAS programs nationwide.

The symposium will be held April 7—9 in the Shamrock room of the UH Hilton and Agnes Arnold Hall, auditorium 1. It is part of UH's AAS 25th anniversary celebration.

The symposium's title, "African American Studies: Working Together to Create the Future," illustrates the range of subjects to be discussed.

On Friday, U.S. Rep. Floyd Flake, D-N.Y., will speak on "African American Studies and Its Role in the Economic Re-development of the Black Community" from 9—10:30 a.m.

From 11—12:30 p.m., there will be a panel discussion on "The Past and Present: African American Studies Program and the Social Sciences." Featured speakers are Armstead Robinson, history professor at University of Virginia; Roy Bryce Laporte, sociology professor at Colgate University; and Jacquelyn Mitchell, anthropology professor at Scripps College.

Janis Hutchinson, associate professor of anthropology at UH and moderator of the panel, said she hoped students and faculty will come away from the discussion with "a better idea of what AAS is and also a better understanding of the issues facing African Americans, particularly non-black students and faculty."

From 12:30—2 p.m., keynote speaker Harry Edwards, professor of sociology at the University of California—Berkeley, will speak on "African American Studies and the Challenge of Black Athlete Development."

UH English professors Lawrence Hogue and Lorenzo Thomas will participate in a panel discussion on "Literature as a Mainstay of African American Studies" from 2—3:30 p.m. Also speaking is Mae Henderson, English professor at the University of Illinois—Chicago.

From 4—5:30 p.m., there will be a panel discussion on "The Aesthetics of African American Studies," featuring Houston artists Lovett Lacy, panel chair Bobbie Wallace Wright of the Houston Community Artists' Collective and also Alvia Wardlow, assistant professor of art at Texas Southern University.

From 9 p.m.—2 a. m., there will be a dance/party in the Oberholtzer Hall ballroom for students.

On Saturday, starting at 8 a.m. and continuing all day, there will be an African American Marketplace where local vendors will showcase African attire, art, jewelry and crafts.

From 9—10:30 a.m., there will be a panel discussion on "The World of Theater in African American Studies." The panel will be moderated by UH's Franklin Anderson, a professional actor and director of UH's Challenger Program. Slated to speak are Mikell Pinkney of Ohio State University, Joni Jones of the University of Texas—Austin, and Charles Jackson from the University of Michigan.

From 11-12:30 p.m., UH sociology Professor Joseph Kotarba, UH economics Professor Thomas DeGregori, UH English Professor Lorenzo Thomas, local music writer Aaron Howard and Lizette Cobb (daughter of the late Arnett Cobb and local entrepreneur) will participate in a panel discussion on "The African American Music Experience and Blues in Houston."

The UH Good News Gospel Choir will perform in the Hilton Waldorf room during a Topics Luncheon from 12:30—2 p. m.

From 2—3:15 p.m. there will be a panel discussion on "African American Music Experience in Percussion" moderated by UH music Professor Marvin Sparks. Featured speakers are Malcolm Pinson (Houston jazz drummer), Craig Williams of the Cincinnati School of Arts, and Ed Thigpen, a Chicago-based percussionist.

From 3:30—5 p. m., UH professors Peggy Engram (social sciences, DT), Russell Jackson (Director of the Institute for African American Policy Research) and panel chair Linda Reed (history professor and Director of AAS) will participate in a panel discussion on "African American Studies and Strategies for the Future."

Engram, who was a student when the UH AAS program was born, said she hopes the discussion will bring an awareness of the AAS programs to the country and that people will see the viability of such programs. Also speaking is Sharon Harley, Director of AAS at the university of Maryland.

Jackson said he saw the symposium as a tool for learning about how other programs worked and as a forum for exchanging ideas about how to make such programs better in preparing for the 21st century.

At 8 p. m. in the Shamrock room, dinner will be served and a special award's presentation will be given in memory of local jazz musician Arnett Cobb. The award will be accepted by Kathy Webster and Cobb's daughter, Lizette Cobb.

From 9 p.m.—2 a. m. there will be a jam session featuring "Musical Styles of Houston" with Ed Thigpen and the UH Jazz Ensemble/Afro Cuban Ensemble, Collector's Item with Sam Dinkins and Ashton Savoy.

The symposium is co-sponsored by Houston's KTRK—TV, Channel 13.

UH HEALTH LAW PROGRAM NO. 1

by Jesse W. Coleman

The UH Law Center has the best health law program in the country, according to a survey conducted by U.S. News & World Report magazine in its 1994 annual survey of the best law schools in the United States.

Faculty experts throughout the nation rank law schools overall and on such legal specialties as clinical training, environmental, intellectual property, international, tax and health law.

They judged the schools in five categories: student selectivity, placement success, faculty resources and two separate measures of institutional reputation.

Overall, the UH Law Center ranked 49th out of the nation's 176 accredited law schools. The law school is ranked second in the state overall, below the University of Texas at Austin, which is ranked 21st.

The survey ranks UH Health Law and Policy Institute as the best health law school in the country, followed by the University of Maryland at Baltimore, St. Louis University, Loyola University of Chicago and DePaul University (Illinois).

Mark A. Rothstein, director of the Health Law and Policy Institute, said the ranking generates good sentiments because the people who vote in the survey are colleagues.

"It makes the law school, Health Law and Policy Institute, and the university more visible," Rothstein said.

Rothstein said the ranking will increase the number of graduates applying for admission into the law school.

He said the school publishes a quarterly newsletter, which has a subscriber base of 2,500. They have also received grants from state and private organizations to conduct studies in many areas of health law, including a major occupational injury and illness study.

Rothstein said the government's move toward universal health care and the growth of new discoveries in medicine are a plus for the health law profession.

"New discoveries form new ethical, legal and social issues," Rothstein said.

Richard M. Alderman, associate dean for Academic Affairs, said the Health Law and Policy Institute ranking is a compliment to the people who run the program.

He said the ranking should help the school get even better.

"You will start getting better and more people applying and that should increase our statistics with respect to average grades on the LSAT,"Alderman said.

For UH Law Center graduates, the median starting salary was $53,000 with 88 percent of them finding employment six months after graduation in 1993.

The school median score on the LSAT in 1993 was 158. The overall score was 68, with reputation rank by academics being 51 and by lawyer and judges being 60.

WHAT'S RIGHT: A LEGAL DILEMMA

by Marlene Yarborough

Anger flares in break- and lunchrooms around the country during conversations about why Michael Jackson is allowed to pay money and be relieved of his alleged molestation charge.

That is only half the story. Jackson has only resolved what would have been a civil suit. His payment does not assure him freedom from criminal charges.

With the complexity of legal cases in the news today, it is difficult to understand when an individual has resolved legal matters. This is why it is important to understand the difference between criminal and civil law.

Criminal law is the branch of law concerned with crimes to the public rather than wrongs to individuals, though individuals may still be harmed. Criminal cases are prosecuted by the government, said Sandra Guerra, assistant professor of law at UH.

UH law Professor Richard Alderman said civil law governs the relations of citizens to one another. This is the branch of law concerned with righting private wrongs. Civil law is between individuals. Criminal law deals with charges filed by the state against an individual.

Alderman explained by giving a scenario of an automobile accident caused by a speeding car. Speeding is a criminal offense that can result in a ticket. The decision of who will pay for damages to the car or any bodily injury becomes a civil case to be decided between the two individuals.

Guerra said the government decides if there is enough evidence that a crime has been committed. Then that local government will bring criminal charges against the responsible party, regardless of whether there is a civil case. She said the victim is not involved in the criminal case.

Guerra added there is currently an increase in criminal cases being brought against corporations. Recently, states have been holding corporations accountable for their environmental crimes, and pharmaceutical companies are having to answer to criminal charges in cases dealing with deaths from drugs. She said Ford Motor Co. is being criminally pursued for explosions from their Pinto model due to a design flaw.

Alderman said that in a criminal case, a person receives a sentencing with possible jail time. In a civil case, there is no jail time and therefore no sentencing. In civil cases restitution is usually monetary. He added it is important to remember that a civil case is not the result of a crime, but a personal wrong.

Both criminal and civil cases are heard by a jury. In a criminal case the defendant may waive the right to a jury.

Guerra said that in Texas, juries decide guilt or innocence and sentencing for criminal cases. In civil cases the jury decides if a person is negligent and the amount of money to be awarded.

Guerra said juries are held to a higher standard in criminal cases because they must find guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In a civil case, the jury must only find, by a preponderance of the evidence, 51 percent neglect.

INTENSITY LOST ON ATHLETES

SWC MEET TOO SOON TO TRAIN FOR

The Houston track and field team is keeping busy as it prepares for what may be the earliest Southwest Conference meet ever.

Rice is the host of the premature meet that will be held April 23—24.

To give a perspective to the issue that has SWC coaches in an uproar, last year's championship was May 19—21.

The problem is that there is less time for the athletes to train for the conference meet and more time to lose intensity before nationals.

There are three meets between the SWC championships, including the Mizuno Houston Invitational held at Robertson Stadium and the NCAA Outdoor Championships. Last year there was only one.

With only two meets left, the Cougars are starting to peak to hit the conference meet at full stride. Last week the Lady Cougar track and field team spent Easter weekend at the Rice Bayou Classic.

This meet is a women's-only competition that brings schools from around the nation. The men were given the weekend off.

Highlights on the day included performances from Katrina Harris, Dawn Burrell, Janinne Courville, Drexel Long and the 400-meter relay team (Courville, Stacy Sparks, De'Angelia Johnson and Starlie Graves).

In field events, Harris won the high jump at 5-8 and Burrell placed second in the long jump with a leap of 18-5 3/4. The rest of the top finishes came in the running events. The 400 relay team won gold in a time of 45.709. Long and Courville placed second in their respective events; Long in the 200 and Courville in the 100.

The men's and women's teams will join together again April 6—9 in Austin for the Texas Relays.

<B>Tennis enjoys some success<P>

The Cougar tennis team is enjoying one of the best seasons it has had in a long time.

This season the Cougars enjoyed a six-game winning streak and their first conference victory since April 15, 1991, a 5-4 win over Rice.

The team lost its last two matches, which were played last Thursday and Friday.

On Thursday, the Cougars were defeated 7-0 by Baylor. Catherine Bromfield, the thoroughbred of Cougar tennis, is recovering from injury and the team was forced to default its final match.

The next day the Cougars were in the Metroplex for a makeup match against Southern Methodist. The Mustangs beat the Cougars 5-2.

The team is currently 6-10 and 1—3 in the SWC. They are starting a three-game homestand that will close out the regular season. They host Texas A&M April 8, Texas Christian April 9 and Rice April 14. The SWC Tournament is at Rice April 22—24.

<B>Baseball faces Schreiner<P>

The boys of summer will take a break from their SWC schedule today when they host Schreiner College at 2 p.m.

The <I>home<P> game for the Cougars (24-16, 4-5 in the SWC) will be held at Rice's Cameron Field due to the construction of the new athletic facility.

The Cougars are coming off a series against A&M where they lost two out of three.