AGING THE FOCUS OF FILM SERIES

The Goethe Institute-Houston offers three films this month in German with English subtitles that cover themes of aging.

<I>Jane blebt Jane<P> (Jane remains Jane) is the story of a woman's struggle to stay alive – a woman the world knows. Tarzan is dead, and so is Cheetah, but the nursing home-bound Jane feels that a trip to back to Africa is what she needs. She communicates with the zoo's animals, causing confusion. Is this Jane really <I>the<P> Jane?

Hailed as one of the best examples of New German film, <I>Jane blebt Jane<P> was made in 1977 and was directed by Walter Bockmayer. This film shows on Tuesday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m.at the institute's auditorium.

On Tuesday, April 19, at 7:30 p.m., <I>Der Pflngstausflug<P> (The Outing) centers around an aging couple dissatisfied with life in a nursing home. They decide to take a trip to Berlin, which they haven't seen in years, but manage. Made in 1978, <I>Der Pflngstausflug<P> was directed by Michael Günther.

On Tuesday, April 26, <I>Nachrede auf Klara Heyderbeck<P> (Epilogue for Klara Heyderbeck) shows at 7:30 p.m. in the institute's auditorium. Director Eberhard Fechner investigates the suicide of 72-year-old woman and reconstructs her life.

*******************************************************

STUDENT ART GROUP HAS CULLEN EXHIBIT

The Writers' And Artists' Group At UH is exhibiting the winners of its Spring Arts Contest in the E. Cullen Building on Wednesday and at the UC Arbor on Thursday.

The artwork which ranges from a Mr. Potatohead pitcher to a ceramic sarcophagus was made by students who competed in divisions of painting, drawing, photography, ceramics, jewelry or sculpture.

Each winner was rewarded with $50. The work of the two runners-up in each category is also included in the exhibit. The event is cosponsored by the Student Program Board's Visual and Performing Arts Committee and the Art Department.

"I wanted to bring the art to the administration," said Jessica Martin, president of WAAGAUH. "I was letting the administration know we have students who are interested in art and it should not be cut out (of the curriculum)."

Martin stored the art work in her dorm room, where many of the judges viewed the pieces.

"Even though some of the students didn't win, they were grateful they had the opportunity to exhibit their work," said Martin.

Martin organized the 3-D arts festival during the summer of '93. The festival was planned to show support for the 3-D arts programs that were facing elimination. These programs -- jewelry making, metalsmithing, sculpture and ceramics -- were eventually saved and combined into one program.

WAAGAUH was founded in November of '91 by shane patrick boyle who also served as chair until summer of '93.

"I founded the group to provide an outlet for writers and artists at UH, to create an undergraduate literary magazine, to bring prominent writers and artists to speak and conduct workshops on campus and to organize opposition to the growing trend of censorship," said boyle. "Our first project was bringing Allen Ginsberg to speak and conduct a workshop in the spring of '92," he said. "I'm glad to see the group continuing and expanding into more art related activities."

LABOR DEPT.: U.S. BUSINESSES MUST DIVERSIFY

by Naruth Phadungchai

U.S. businesses need to diversify their workforce to stay competitive with foreign companies, said Gregory Shaw, Firector for the Office of Program Compliance and Enforcement at the Department of Labor's Civil Rights division Tuesday.

"The goal of achieving workplace diversity is to develop the capacity to use the diverse talents of the most diverse country on Earth," said Shaw.

He spoke at a luncheon held in the University Hilton Grand Ballroom.

"In a diverse workforce, competence counts more than anything," Shaw said.

That qualification, he said, is important for companies seeking "to survive in a fiercely competitive world. Companies that don't embrace diversity are like an engine ... that won't run at all."

Shaw said it takes more than just laws or social awareness to diversify the workplace. "We see change when it is a business reason," he said.

Referring to diversity and tolerance, Shaw added, "We must learn those lessons sooner than we think."

The composition of the workforce is projected to change drastically by the year 2000. The number of Hispanics, Blacks, and other minorities entering the workforce is expected to increase at a greater rate than that of whites. The same is true for women compared to men, he said.

Director of Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Labor, Annabelle Lockhart, was scheduled to speak at the luncheon on Tuesday. However, she could not come, and asked Shaw to take her place.

Gene Monteagudo, director of the Hospitality Industry Hispanic Develpopmnet Institute, said he was nonetheless glad to have Shaw speak to an audience of representatives from the hospitality industry.

"The goal of the symposium," said Monteagudo, "is to share new ideas (regarding workplace diversity) being imposed on the industry by the expectations of the society. If not, we won't be competitive," he said.

The speech was part of a three-day Annual Diversity symposium running through today, for the Hospitality Industry that included workshops on diversity and civil rights.

FORUM FOCUSES ON STAFF, RESHAPING

The overriding concern among most faculty members at Tuesday's staff meeting with UH administrators was how reshaping coupled with low enrollments and cuts in state funds will affect their job status and raises.

President James Pickering and six other administrators tried to answer the question posed by staff members.

"Reshaping as we defined it was the key in an ongoing process at looking at how we can increase the effectiveness while also increasing quality," said Pickering.

Pickering said that as university president he could mandate changes from the top without consulting faculty, staff and students.

"The only way we can respond and survive is for people to rise to the occasion. The real problem is that there is so much finger pointing. Institutions of higher education have to change or we will be passed over as obsolete," said Pickering.

UH will lose $4.1 million this year unless someone finds a way to get the state legislature to rescind the cuts made in the last legislative session, said Pickering.

Over a four year period, the state legislature cut close to $17 million in funds to the university, Pickering said.

Pickering said the university must increase enrollment if we are to increase state funds.

Every two years in the legislative session, the legislature determines how much money each university will receive based on its enrollment.

"One might hypothesize that if the population of Houston will grow by one million in the next ten years that students would be knocking down our doors but they are not," Pickering said.

He said the low graduation rates at local high schools, the mobility barrier, and the marketing problem have all contributed to declining enrollment.

The mobility barrier stems from the fact that students who live further than 30 minutes away do not want to drive that far, Pickering said.

"We are enrollment driven by the state. If we don't meet targets then we have to cut the budget. We must be more aggressive with recruiting," Pickering said.

Greer said that even after the forum with Pickering there is still a question in most staff member's mind about how reshaping and budget cuts will directly affect them.

The administration has not specifically answered questions about whether the cuts will be absorbed through attrition, layoffs or pay cuts.

Carol Parmer, assistant vice-president and director of human resources, said that over the past couple of years a few position had been eliminated but that they had been able to place them elsewhere on campus.

Pickering assured the staff members that whatever changes occur that the university would act "humanely" and in the best interests of its employees.

One staff member, who did not wish to be identified by name, complained that staff members had not received raises or cost of living adjustments to keep up with inflation.

"We'd plan a strike but that is illegal," the unidentified employee said. State employees are not allowed to strike by law.

Other staff members said they were basically satisfied with the Pickering administration.

Hal Wixon, a former vice president of staff council, said Pickering should be applauded for the efforts he has made in reshaping the university.

Kenneth Watson, a plumber in the Physical Plant, said much of the frustration among staff members comes from inaccurate information and faulty communication between the staff and administration.

"We're seldom measured by what goes right, but most of what goes on here goes right," Pickering said.

Staff members also questioned if the university would be privatizing the health center in the near future and what effect that might have on its present employees.

Dr. Elwyn Lee, the vice president for student affairs, said that the university was checking into privatizing the health center but had not made any definite plans.

"We are looking into what such a structure would look like and what advantages there might be to privatization," Lee said.

Pickering said large corporations are using out-sourcing to save money and increase efficiency. Out-sourcing means the university contracts with outside organizations to perform certain services like running the health center.

"There should be no real cause for alarm. We are concerned about the welfare and security of our staff," said Pickering.

Staff members also questioned if the administration would institute a free tuition or discount program.

"We can as long as we are able to absorb the loss of funds into our budget," Pickering said. He suggested the staff council survey staff members to find out the level of interest in such a program.

Staff members can already take advantage of a program that allows them to take three paid hours off per week to attend classes, Parmer said.

The panel also included Dorothy Caram, the assistant to the vice president for affirmative action and equal employment; Gerald Osborne, the assistant vice president and director of counseling and testing; Charles Schamper, the assistant vice president for information technology and George Hess, the chief of police.

UH DOWNS SCHREINER 11-1

Houston used strong hitting and a solid five-man pitching committee to defeat Schreiner College 11-1 Tuesday in a home game at Rice University's Cameron Field.

First baseman Ricky Freeman was a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate, smacking a solo home run in the first inning for his seventh on the year.

Right fielder Shane Buteaux added three RBIs in a 3-for-4 showing, including a two-run double in the fifth that gave Houston a 5-0 lead. He also scored a run and pitched a scoreless ninth inning.

Kevin Boyd (2-1) picked up the win, but all five pitchers were strong. They scattered four hits and allowed only one unearned run while striking out eight. Junior Jason Dixon had five.

"This was a good tune-up for us before going to face Texas Tech this weekend," said head coach Bragg Stockton. "I'm just glad we got good efforts from Ricky Freeman and Shane Buteaux."

Mountaineer starter Shawn Box (5-5), who was clocked in the low '90s consistently throughout his seven innings pitched, surrendered five runs but the defense chipped in four errors.

"(Shawn's) had some losses this season because he didn't get any playing behind him," Schreiner coach Bob Henry said. "That betrays how good he is."

"We beat a great arm today," Buteaux said. "A bunch of guys got to play and our pitching is coming along, so I think our spirit is up."

Little-used center fielder Dustin Carr made the most of his outing. He went 1-for-3, drove in two runs, scored two and had three stolen bases.

Houston improved to 25-16 and Schreiner fell to 12-23.

Next up is a crucial series against the Red Raiders in Lubbock. Saturday's doubleheader will be live on HSE at 1 p.m.