OUTLAW MAKES CBA ALL-ROOKIE 1ST TEAM

Former Houston basketball star Charles "Bo" Outlaw was named to the Continental Basketball Association's All-Rookie first team Thursday.

He finished second to Tri-City Chinook guard Alphonso Ford for CBA Rookie of the Year.

Now playing with the Los Angeles Clippers in the the NBA, Outlaw averaged 13 points, 10.9 rebounds and 3.8 blocks a game for the Grand Rapids Hoops. He also shot 68.7 percent from the floor, leading the Hoops to a 25-7 record before his promotion Feb. 14. Grand Rapids was 12-12 without Outlaw.

The 6-8 San Antonio native was the Southwest Conference player and defensive player of the year in 1992—93, leading the nation in field goal percentage (.658) and the SWC in blocked shots (3.8).

In 31 appearances and 13 starts for the Clippers, Outlaw has averaged 6.9 points and 5.7 rebounds.

******************************************************

ASSASSINATION MAY HELP UNIFY MEXICO

by Naruth Phadungchai

The assassination of Luis Donaldo Colosio Murrieta three weeks ago foreshadows changes for Mexico. Colosio was the presidential candidate of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), the leading political party in that country.

The 44-year-old former secretary of social development was seen as the likely successor to President Carlos Salinas de Gortari come the election on August 21.

"Colosio was a people's man," said Cesar Rodriguez, News Director at KTMD Channel 48 in Houston. Using his office, Colosio toured the country and met with his fellow Mexicans. At the same time, he sought to improve housing and the environment and to fight poverty.

The Solidarity program that he headed for Salinas spent over two billion dollars pursuing these goals. But some critics have charged – and some supporters have admitted – that Colosio was using his office and the program to campaign for the upcoming election.

Colosio did, however, succeed in winning the support of Mexicans. He gained more popularity than candidates of either the left-wing Democratic Revolutionary Party or the right-wing National Action Party. According to Time Magazine, Colosio had 84 percent of the electorate behind him. Rodriguez said, "Colosio referred to himself as being a part of the people."

If he wins the election, Colosio said he would fight poverty and strive for social reforms in Mexico. He also promised to seek political changes. In an interview with the New York Times, Colosio said, "I belong to the generation of change, the generation headed by Carlos Salinas de Gortari."

The changes in Mexico actually began with Salinas' predecessor, Miguel de la Madrid, who took on the powerful and corrupt in government and industry. When Salinas took office in 1988, he began a flurry of economic changes in Mexico.

In six years, Salinas had cut the rate of inflation from 51.7 to 9.1 percent, privatized or closed down about 1,000 companies and banks, and continued to tear down trade barriers, which began with the General Agreement of Tariff and Trade in 1986 and continues with the North American Free Trade Agreement begun in January 1994.

Yet despite the efforts of Salinas, many Mexicans have not benefitted from these economic reforms. Moreover, Salinas failed to affect political reform during Mexico's economic boom. The passage of NAFTA and the campaign promises of Colosio are seen by many politcial analysts to be attempts to bolster the hope of Mexicans that they would soon see fruitful results.

Salinas' plan, said one advisor in Newsweek, was to seek economic reform as the way toward ultimately achieving political and social reforms.

He chose Colosio because "he is the one who at least most clearly promises to continue the Salinas legacy," said Luis Javier Garrido, and expert on the PRI at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, in the New York Times.

For the first time in its 65 years of control of Mexican politics and government, the PRI faces a tough challenge from the candidates of two other parties – Cuauhtemoc Cardenas to the left and Diego Fernandez de Cevallos to the right. In an Associated Press report, Ambassador to Mexico James Jones "predicted the country's elections will be fair and competitive."

However, since it formed in 1928 after the assassination of President Alvaro Obregon, the PRI has never lost a presidential election. In addition, past presidents have always been hand-picked by their predecessors, fueling the charge by opposition parties of fraudulent voting.

Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon, former Minister of Budget and Education and Colosio's campaign manager, has been named the PRI's candidate. Zedillo, however, is not as well known to the majority of Mexicans as Colosio. Furthermore, Zedillo brings with him a controversy with the teacher's union from his days as a government official.

The result of the election remains to be seen. "There is a bunch of possible things that could happen," said Rodriguez. "There are so many variables."

Adding to the confusion and instability are the faction within the PRI that appeared since Salinas became president, the unresolved revolt in Chiapas and the recent kidnapping of Alfredo Harp Helu, president of Mexico's biggest bank.

Last Monday, National Public Radio reported the special investigator scrutinizing Colosio's assassination said at least seven people were involved in the killing, including those responsible for his security.

"The bad result of the assassination is that it could trigger instability and violence (come election time)," said Rodriguez. "The good side is that it (forces) most people to think of the future of the country. It gives the people a sense of unity."

RECREATION AREA IMPROVEMENTS ON THE WAY

by Jennifer Smith

Athletic Director Bill Carr, Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee, Associate Athletic Director Bill McGillis and Acting Director of Residential Life and Housing Ahmad Kashani were present at the Tuesday RHA meeting to announce the improvement of the south recreation area, between the Quadrangle and Moody Towers. The area now holds two basketball courts, four tennis courts and a pool.

The project, which has already begun, is the product of the South Recreation Area Task Force, a coalition between Student Affairs and the Athletic Department. The SRATF includes representatives from Athletics and Student Affairs, as well as representatives from the Faculty Senate, Residential Life and Housing, RHA, and the Students' Association. Student input on possible future projects should be addressed to their representatives on the task force.

Their work will be assisted by student athletes wearing white T-shirts with the red logo "Student Athletes in Action" on them. Bill Carr, athletic director, said that this was an opportunity to rid the student body of the idea that athletes are non-contributing members of the community. Carr said that student athletes are involved in community and campus service, contributing to the future of UH.

In their short speeches, Carr and Lee expressed their excitement about the opportunity to work together and "make good things happen." They both said that they appreciated the opportunities opened by this partnership and the opportunity to improve UH facilities.

The improvements will consist of maintenance activities for both the athletic and pool areas, including pressure washing and restriping the courts as well as material additions such as soccer goals and fencing for the soccer area, a sand volleyball court, benches and a water fountain. In addition, the pool area will receive better plumbing in the bath area and privacy panels will be installed in the men's and women's rest rooms.

The recreation area has always been open to all UH students, however, the new fencing will cut off the entrance from Wheeler, making it accessible only from the interior of the campus. This will cut down on non-student use of the facilities.

The improvement project is divided into two phases – the athletic area improvements and the pool area improvements. Phase I was made possible by an allocation of about $20,000 by the Student Fees Allocation Committee. Phase II resulted from a joint contribution between the Residential Life and Housing and the Athletic Departments.

The price tag for Phase I, including year-round maintenance, is $20,125 and is completely funded. Phase II will cost about $8,700.

The cost breakdown, available from the Student Affairs Office, includes such items as restriping the two basketball courts and four tennis courts with traffic paint (6 at $290 each), two soccer goals (2 at $850 each) and four tennis and one volleyball net (5 at $129 each). The four most costly items, in descending order, are monthly maintenance (12 at $400), the sand volleyball court (total cost including installment, post set, and net, $3,809), painting existing fence and miscellaneous areas ($3,000) and the fence for the west side of the soccer field ($1,800).

UH STUDENT TO OBSERVE SOUTH AFRICA ELECTIONS

Five of the seven Houston-area South Africa election observers met Tuesday in the office of Tom Klevin, a Texas Southern University law professor who appointed them.

Those five are: Mike Chamberlin, 38, UH sophomore and active member in the Local Watch 12 of the International Association of Machinists; Laura Griffin, 36, TSU student and member of Committee for a Free South Africa; Zaberi Mwamba, 54, a TSU political science professor who is a member of the Free South Africa Task Force; Beneva Williams Nyamu, a community activist and health and social service consultant; and Deloyd Parker, executive director of the S.H.A.P.E. community center.

The five are part of an international observation effort that will place observers in most polling places in the country. More than 100 observers are American.

"Our job is to be as impartial as possible and to observe so there will be a fair election – as fair as possible," Nyamu said.

If any questionable activities are observed, members of the team must report such actions to the election monitors who then address the problem.

"The authorities know the whole world is watching them and they want to be a part of the international community," said Mwamba.

The group of observers will be stationed in the Orange Free State, an Afrikaner stronghold away from the recent violence that has claimed thousands of lives in the Natal province, the Zulu homeland. Once in South Africa they will receive a day's training to be certified as international observers.

"Anything is possible, but that is why we have observers … a lot of things could happen," Parker said in reference to the politically-motivated bloodshed.

He says he is not naïve, but that the dangers are nominal, "I'm ready to go," he said.

Griffin said they were all aware of the dangers.

Mwamba added a note of caution, however, "people don't give up power that easily."

All through the meeting the five discussed the political ramifications of this first free election in South Africa.

"It's going to take more than this election to have a free South Africa," Parker said, addressing the internalized oppression that must be overcome in a free society. He drew parallels between the struggle of the African American since slavery to what the South Africans must face soon.

"It takes a lot less to get rid of an armed group then it does to get rid of a pathology," he added.

Chamberlin, a labor representative, focused on how the labor struggle has been the backbone of the anti-apartheid struggle.

"Racism was used as a tool to pay (South African workers) some of the lowest wages in the world," he said.

He also acknowledged how difficult it was to form a South African union. If you were in a union, which was against the law, the government could kill you, he said.

All five soon-to-be election observers touched on the legacy of racism and the historic nature of this election. They all agreed that the election will only be the next step of many toward creating a free south Africa.

"The whole idea of the ballot is new," said Mwamba. But, he said, at least "the election will put the final nail in the coffin of apartheid."

All five will be leaving for South Africa during the week.

COOGS FINDING SECOND WIND FOR SWC RACE

UTPA PRIMED TO BE HOUSTON'S 2ND NON-CONFERENCE VICTIM

and Chris Peña

It will be another home game away from home for the Houston Cougar baseball team when it hosts a three-game set against Texas-Pan American starting at 2 p.m. Friday at Rice's Cameron Field.

The Cougars (27-19) are coming off a come-from-behind 6-5 victory over the Sam Houston State Bearkats in Huntsville.

Cougar third baseman J.J. Matzke singled in left fielder Carlos Perez in the top of the ninth to drive in the winning run. Dave Hamilton (2-1) picked up the win in relief.

UTPA is not having what you would call a brilliant season. The Broncs are 9-29 overall and 3-12 in the Sun Belt Conference.

"We'd like to sweep them and build some momentum for Lamar on Tuesday," Cougar head coach Bragg Stockton said.

Despite the Broncs lack of success, Stockton is respectful of the Broncs.

"Pan-Am's got a good ball club," he said.

Bronc senior Bobby Scott has been the only bright spot for the team.

He is batting .363 and had a career-high 10-game hitting streak broken recently. Scott also leads the team in six offensive categories.

The UTPA pitching staff is where most of the blame should be placed for the dismal season. With a team ERA of 6.53, it's little wonder that the Broncs have been an exercise in futility.

Their "ace," Jeff Myers, is a stellar 3-3 and has an ERA of 5.85, the second lowest average in the starting rotation.

For the Cougars, senior Matt Beech remains the darling of the rotation despite having some hard-luck losses. He is 4-3 with a 4.24 ERA and is the probable starter for Game 1.

Two other seniors, Ricky Freeman and Shane Buteaux, are getting it done at the plate.

Freeman leads the team in hitting at .384. Buteaux is a step behind Freeman with a .380 average. He also provides the power for the team with 11 home runs. His slugging percentage leads the team at .669.

For the Cougars, the series will serve as a tune-up for the final six SWC games.

"We'd like to keep our momentum going," he said. "We had a good win over Sam Houston on Tuesday."

The Cougars undoubtedly need to win their six remaining conference games to have a shot at making the SWC tournament.

"Baseball is a game where you're always moving forward or backward, never standing still," Stockton said. "We hope to surge forward and reach our peak at the end of the season."

The Cougars will resume SWC play when they host Texas Christian for a three-game series April 22—23 at College Station.

They end the SWC season at Baylor the next weekend.

************************************************************

'BOO-BOOS' FAIL TO MAR PRACTICE

The Cougars continued spring practice on Wednesday, with few new developments.

Offensive lineman Truett Akin suffered an ankle strain which caused him to miss practice Wednesday, an injury which head coach Kim Helton referred to as a "little boo-boo."

Otherwise, the Cougars have avoided injuries so far this spring.

"We've been very fortunate," Helton said of the team's health. "I think we came into camp in very good shape."

Akin's return will not change the offensive line much, Helton said. The first team on Wednesday was still Mike Fuller at center, Billy Milner and Jim Herndon at tackle and Steven Williams and Dave Roberts at guard.

Helton indicated that some positions would remain open until August, when freshmen could compete. In particular, Helton mentioned center, which has been a position of some question since Marcus Vidrine's departure.

Right guard, where Williams has been trying to make the switch from defense to offense, is another area which could change come August.

Also, some defensive positions will not be solidified until the summer. Helton said that freshmen would compete heavily in the defensive backfield.

Currently, returning starters Gerome Williams and John H. Brown are at strong safety and right corner, respectively. Junior Thomas McGaughey has logged time at free safety and sophomore Alfred Young has been at left corner.

Helton emphasized that the cornerbacks would play "match" defense, or switching positions to cover specific receivers, so as not to expose one weakness in the defense.

Pass rush will be a key to helping the defensive backs, and the Cougars' defensive line has considerable experience. Senior tackle Eric Harrison and junior end Marlon Foots are both returning starters.

At right end, 6-6, 285-pound Otis Grant returns for his sophomore season. Senior Mike Meux has played at left tackle after backing up at end last year.

So far, the feature running back has been Jermaine Williams, a transfer from Butler Junior College in Kansas. Bryant Henderson, another junior-college transfer, has been his mate in the I-formation.

BE CLEANSED BY PRONG'S RELEASE

by Tom Turner

Pure Power. This is the best description of Prong and its latest release, <I>Cleansing<P>.

Their most recent work is quite simply an in-your-face style of heavy, guitar-driven rock. The group constructs its music on a foundation of musical technique and style.

The most prominent aspect of the band is the overpowering guitar work. To compliment this, the group has a full drum sound and a singer who almost sounds like he's ticked off at the world.

Prong has released several other albums including <I>Prove You Wrong,<P> <I>Beg To Differ<P> and now their latest work, <I>Cleansing<P>.

On the whole, Prong's most recent work is a solid album. Some of the tracks that stand out include "Another Worldly Device," "One Outnumbered" and "Test." Prong also gets the award for having some of the more … well, let's just say 'interesting' titles. They include "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" and "Whose Fist is this Anyway?"

Prong shouldn't be passed off as just another heavy, metal-sounding group, because they're much more. The group's display of musical style and technique on <I>Cleansing<P> sets this band apart.

If you have a craving for a band founded on heavy guitars and some pretty decent music, go out and be cleansed by Prong.

IMPORTS, REUNIONS, & MORE

Scott Sparks

If you shop a hip record store, more than likely it has an "Import" section. Often times this area will consist of CDs and CD singles that have been released only in Europe or other countries around the world. However, these will be well-made and packaged "bootlegs."

Just a couple of years ago bands would be bootlegged-recorded with their permission, and more often than not, the quality was horrible. Thanks to Digital Audio Tape (DAT), recordable CDs and computer graphics, "imports" have greatly improved.

When you run across one of these CDs you will usually find it was manufactured in Germany. Germany's copyright laws are full of loopholes, making it a dream come true for bootleggers. Keep in mind that it is legal to buy and sell these CDs stateside.

If you are a major fan of any particular artist there is probably an import of that artist somewhere. Keep in mind that quality will vary. Happy shopping and good luck!

Miscellaneous: From the "Never Say Never Files," case #478. As you read this, <B>The Power Station<P> is recording in L.A. with original members <B>Robert Palmer<P>, <B>Andy Taylor<P>, John Taylor<P>, and <B>Tony Thompson<P>. The record is due out sometime before the end of the year. Now the big question. Will the band tour, and if so, will Robert Palmer decide to join them this time? As you may or may not recall, Palmer decided to pass on their last mid-eighties tour.

<B>Vanessa Williams<P> will hit the bright lights of Broadway this summer when she takes over the title role in <I>Kiss Of The Spider Woman<P> ... Speaking of first time actors, <B>U2's Bono<P> will try his hand at acting in his film debut <I>Strange Days<P>.

If you're into Enigma's music don't ever expect them to tour. <B>Michael Cretu<P>, producer/songwriter, says that would cheapen his music. Yeah, right!

<B>The Church<P>, as well as the <B>Violent Femmes<P>, will have a new CD out by the end of the month.

I have heard the new <B>Sophie B. Hawkins<P> and it sounds like another hit, but you can never tell with "sophomore" efforts.

<B>Eddie Murphy<P> – who will star in <I>Beverly Hills Cop III<P> this Memorial Day – and wife Nicole will be parents for the third time.

<B>Whitney Houston<P> will have that long-awaited 'greatest hits' CD out during the summer. You can also expect Ms. Houston to tour through Texas the first of July.

Jazz great and leader of the <B>Tonight Show Band Branford Marsalis<P> is calling it quits in his marriage to wife Teresa.

The <I>Reality Bites<P> soundtrack has proven to have better staying power than the film itself, so much so that RCA Records is considering issuing a sequel soundtrack much like they did with <I>Dirty Dancing<P>.

Happy Birthdays This Week: <B>Brian Setzer<P> (Stray Cats), 35; <B>Tiny Tim<P>, 61; <B>Herbie Hancock<P>, 54; <P>David Cassidy,<P> 44; <B>Al Green<P>, 48; <B>Ritchie Blackmore<P> (Deep Purple), 49; <B>Loretta Lynn<P>, 59; and <B>Gerry Rafferty<P>, 47.

Sparks is a Houston disc jockey for radio station 104.1 FM KRBE

ZEDILLO LACKS COLOSIO'S CHARISMA

by Christian Messa

Economist Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de Leon's campaign for the Mexican presidency will encounter several dilemmas, such how to correct Zedillo's image problem, said Associate Director of the Mexican American Studies Program Lorenzo Cano.

Cano Thursday said the Yale-educated Zedillo, who has never run for public office, lacks a strong personality.

Compared to Luis Donaldo Colosio Murrieta, who Zedillo replaced as the presidential candidate for the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), Cano said Zedillo "is not as charismatic." Colosio was assassinated at a political rally in Tijuana, Mexico on March 23.

Zedillo, 42, made numerous enemies among teachers when he was Minister of Education for two years.

Cano said teachers in Mexico are poorly paid, and the government has not devoted more time or finances to them, especially in rural areas.

Some teachers will remain with the PRI, which is the ruling political party, but there are many dissenters among them, Cano said.

"I think the criticism (Zedillo) received as education minister … it's going to hurt him," he said.

Historical revisionism evident in textbooks, which Zedillo approved, angered teachers and others. The revisions included a better outlook on U.S.-Mexican relations.

Cesar Rodriguez, news director for Channel 48 - KTMD, said various factions within the PRI did not support portraying Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari as a hero in the textbook revisions.

Some PRI members believe if he could not handle the secretary of education position, then Zedillo could not handle the presidency, Rodriguez said.

There are PRI members who "don't feel he's shown to be a true politician," he said. Rodriguez said these people think Zedillo is too controversial.

Salinas' decision to select Zedillo after consulting with other PRI party leaders created another rift within the party, Rodriguez said. He said conservatives and other groups preferred nominating someone else.

Cano said unrest within the party occurred because the candidate selection process was not more open.

The unrest is fed by those who disagree with the policies Zedillo would implement as president, which include supporting Salinas' economic policies and providing extra support for social services, Cano said.

As Colosio's campaign manager, which he assumed when he resigned as the education minister last November, Zedillo had been criticized for running a disorganized campaign according, to a Houston Post story.

Cano said Zedillo was later scorned for not having better security for Colosio in Tijuana.

There is uncertainty between now and the Aug. 21 presidential election, Rodriguez said. He said the PRI's grip on recent elections has weakened.

"It's all a gamble," he said.