BACKBEAT BACKTRACKS BEATLES PAST

by Glenn R. Wilson, Jr.

If one were looking for alternative titles for the film <I>Backbeat<P>, suggestions would range from <I>Stuart Sutcliffe: The Reluctant Beatle<P> to <I>Without John Lennon This Guy Would Be A Nobody!<P>

<I>Backbeat<P> tells the story of the early days of a band known as the Beatles. Perhaps you've heard of them?

In order to harden the band's sound, and apparently meet girls, the Beatles headed to Hamburg, Germany, which in 1960 was a happening town in the burgeoning rock and roll scene.

At this time membership included John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe. Ringo Starr was not yet a member, but he does make a brief appearance in the film.

<I>Backbeat<P> concentrates on the friendship between Lennon (Ian Hart) and Sutcliffe (Stephen Dorff), even going so far as to subtly hint at a possible homosexual relationship between the two. But a hint is as far as that idea goes.

Unfortunately though, the life of Stuart Sutcliffe is more of an interesting side note to rock and roll history than an engrossing story begging for a biographical film to be made about him.

In fact, Sutcliffe was not a very interesting person. Especially when displayed next to somebody as charismatic as John Lennon.

Sutcliffe was a promising artist in Liverpool, England when his friend John Lennon talked him into joining Lennon's band and going to Germany as the Beatles' bass player.

Sutcliffe was not very interested in rock and roll music, but he did enjoy the lifestyle. And he also knew how much it would mean to Lennon to have him there.

The other band members were never really thrilled about Sutcliffe's presence but Lennon was insistent that his friend stay or Lennon would leave. So Sutcliffe stayed.

Enter the woman. Much as Yoko Ono would be accused of breaking up the Beatles ten years later, Astrid Kirchherr (Sheryl Lee) will be forever known as the woman who came between Lennon and Sutcliffe.

Astrid and Sutcliffe would fall madly in love, which prevented complications because Lennon also took a fancy to her. In the end though, Sutcliffe would be more than willing to give up the promise of later success with the Beatles in order to stay in Hamburg with Kirchherr.

Dorff is acceptably stoic as Sutcliffe, a man who literally let life take him where it would. And Lee is actually quite good as Astrid, even nailing the German accent.

But the film belongs to Ian Hart. As John Lennon he barrels through the film full of anger at nothing in particular and adeptly displaying Lennon's renowned biting sense of humor.

Lennon was a man who wanted the world, but in the end the world wasn't big enough for him, and Hart exhibits this frustration as a driving force within the man. This is indeed a bravo film debut.

Also notable in this film is the soundtrack. Producer Don Was put together a grunge super group to attempt to recreate the Beatles' early, less-refined sound. All 12 songs were recorded in one take each over a three-day period, an almost unheard of feat in today's modern recording world. Was should be commended for his outstanding accomplishment.

As a record of the Beatles early, formative years in Hamburg, <I>Backbeat<P> scores high marks. As a biography of Stuart Sutcliffe it proves as uninteresting as he was.

But perhaps these things work out for the best, because for some reason John, Paul, George and Stuart just doesn't have the same ring to it as John, Paul, George and Ringo.

************************************************************

REGISTRATION BY PHONE WORKING WELL

by Christian Messa

Students' dreams of registration by telephone at UH have become a reality this week.

Although students first used the touch tone Voice Information Processing (VIP) system in Fall 1993 to register for the Spring semester, it was exclusively for students going through priority registration. Students can currently register by phone regardless of whether they choose to do so during priority, regular or late registration.

Charles Shomper, associate vice president for information technology, said student response to the VIP system during Spring priority "was very favorable."

Graduate, Optometry, Law, Pharmacy and postbaccalaureate students were scheduled first for phone registration on Wednesday. Seniors in other majors can register today through April 24. Juniors register April 25—27, and sophomores may register April 27—29. Freshman register April 29—May 1.

All students register during their scheduled days based on the last three digits of their social security number. Students may register for Summer school and/or Fall.

Mario Lucchesi, director of registration and academic records, said students will have almost 900 hours to register or add/drop via the VIP system. Phone registration will be available at various times from April to August.

Phone registration will not completely eliminate lines, however. Students will have to pick up and pay their fee bills at the University Center if they register late.

Lucchesi said a registration schedule was established for students using the VIP system because there are only 96 phone lines available to the system. Once the lines are in use, students will have to wait. A schedule was instituted for that reason.

"It would facilitate getting you in faster," Lucchesi said.

Sophomore business major Marko Garcia said he liked phone registration during Spring priority registration, although his 23-year-old sister actually registered for him.

"It was great," he said. "I had every single class I wanted."

Garcia said it was especially helpful because he lives 30 minutes from campus.

Brian Dawson, a junior psychology major, looked forward to registering by phone. "I think it's about time they did it. It saves on paper work," he said.

Before phone registration could be implemented, UH first had to fine tune to a new computer system installed in 1991 that dealt with registration and academic advising.

Sharon Richardson, associate vice president for enrollment services, said the VIP system could not be installed until the computer system was completed.

"(The computer system) takes a while to be implemented. It's a sequential process that takes time," she said.

UH joins other universities that have phone registration such as Texas A&M, Baylor, University of Texas and Sam Houston State among others.

Shomper said the system cost about $200,000, including installation. It will cost another $50,000 annually to maintain the system phone lines, he said, but the upkeep will be paid by budgeted state funds.

Andrew Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president, said the university obtained funding for the VIP system by using funds originally slated for capital projects. This money is set aside for equipment and facilities.

The unallocated funds paid for the registration system because UH President James Pickering said he felt phone registration was "a priority item," Szilagyi said.

The university bought the registration software from EPOS, a company involved with the education industry.

Shomper said the Registrar's Office, Bursar's Office and EPOS assisted the Information Technology Department in the system's installation. He also said the Admissions, Financial Aid and Academic Advising offices helped test it.

The Management Information Systems Division of Information Technology modified the software, and the Telecommunications Division participated in installation, Shomper said.

The voice heard, instructing students on what to do during phone registration, is that of Assistant Professor of Communication Beth Olson.

Shomper said students should not expect to get their grades over the phone yet.

"That's something we hope to do in the future," he said.

For more information concerning registration times and how to register, consult the 1994 Summer/Fall class schedule.

LIFE WINS; VOTERS REJECT OB MOVE

By Jennifer Smith

LIFE (Leaders interested in the Future of Education) candidate Shirley Hollingsworth was elected as the new President of the Residence Halls Association, Wednesday, while results from a referendum proved most residents to be against moving the Honors College to Oberholtzer Hall.

Voter turnout was, as usual, very low. Of 2000 residents, 364 voted in the officer election, and 331 voted on the referendum.

Seventy percent of the voters were against the move of the Honors College and 30 percent supported it. Three of the ballots were marked, "I don't care."

The move of the Honors College became a hot issue in March when Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee met with dorm residents to discuss the possibility of the Exxon Education Foundation moving into the Honors College space, while the College would move to Oberholtzer and expanding into larger offices.

Some student residents were against the move because they believed it would make non-Honors students feel displaced in the Hall.

Some students supported the move saying the Honors College deserves a larger space.

The results of the referendum may not have any direct impact on the final administrative decision.

Justin McMurtry, co-chair of Cougar Place Hall Council said the referendum will "guide" the RHA so they know where they stand on the issue as a whole.

LIFE and DRIVE (Dedicated Residents Implementing a Vision of Excellence) were the two parties running for officer election. LIFE's goals are establishing a Cougar Place convenience store, an ATM machine in Moody Towers and improving the basement facilities in the Quadrangle. In addition, it stands for increased security and increased number of hallwide programs.

DRIVE had goals such as the reduction or elimination of the required meal plan requirement for residents, the expansion of recreational and exercise facilities in the residence halls and the increased participation of hall councils in RHA.

The candidates of LIFE were Shirley Hollingsworth for president, Karen Carter for vice president of programming, Patty Medina for vice president of Finance and Gabriel Morin for vice president of administration. In the same order, the candidates for DRIVE were Clarissa Peterson, Angie Welborn, Donald Large and Andrew Becker.

LIFE swept the elections; all the LIFE candidates got the jobs they were running for.

Before the election, the presidential candidates, who both looked distinctly nervous, said they thought the election would be very close. Peterson said that she thought whoever won would do a good job.

The election results were announced at about 9 p.m. in the RHA office. After the announcement, Peterson initiated a congratulatory handshake with Hollingsworth, the new RHA president.

Hollingsworth said she was happy with the results. She added that she hoped her administration in RHA would be able to work with the DRIVE candidates, because they are valuable assets.

Peterson later said, "I think Shirley will do a very good job as president of RHA and I look forward to working with her to solve the problems that face residents."

BLACK ATHLETES AT CROSSROADS

by Kimberly Preadom

Black athletic programs in predominantly black colleges and universities are terminally ill. They will lose their right to life by 1996, said UC-Berkeley professor Dr. Harry Edwards. His comments were delivered during his keynote address to approximately 350 guests who attended the African Studies luncheon at the University Hilton on Monday.

A soft murmur went through the ballroom when Dr. Edward's shocking revelation was voiced.

"We are at the end of the golden age of the black athlete. The black athlete emerged into mainstream society in 1940, but he probably will suffer his demise by the year 1996," Edwards said.

Edwards cited cutbacks to athletic programs as a major culprit. He also said that black universities are "unable to compete monetarily" for the top-notch black high school athletes who are courted by the well-financed athletic departments from predominantly white universities.

Edwards accused white sports organizations of being parasites on the black community.

"No other community would allow an outsider to penetrate the community and carry away the cream of the crop within the community," Edwards said.

Another point made by Edwards is that the black college athlete is less likely than the white athlete to maintain a reasonable grade point average.

"The black athlete's education is not considered important. He spends twenty-eight hours per week on sports. As a result, he ends up missing forty percent of his classes. As his grades suffer, he becomes ineligible to play," said Edwards.

He said, "The black man has gone from the cotton fields to the playing fields, but the institution of slavery remains the same!" as the capacity crowd once more showed its approval in a resounding round of applause.

Edwards said the image of the "dumb jock" as well as the image of the "dumb Negro" has remained more or less unchanged for the last several decades.

Edwards said, "Twenty-six percent of black athletes graduate compared to (about) fifty-two percent of white athletes. Some sixty-eight percent of black athletes left the school where they were recruited at the end of their eligibility."

Dr. Samuel Collins, dean emeritus at Prairie View A&M School of Engineering agreed that some athletes get swallowed up by the big-money universities. These universities can "mass produce" young men who lack the skills to compete in the real world. In contrast to Dr. Edwards, Dr. Collins maintained that a university's primary purpose should be educating students, not the manufacturing athletes for the professional sports.

Dr. Collins cites Prairie View University as a convincing example.

Collins said, "Prairie View realized it could not compete with the white universities for the star athletes, so it dismantled the athletic program entirely. Prairie View has not had a football team for four years. Those athletes who want to participate in organized sports must do so on their own –there are no more athletic scholarships."

Collins said that the alumni organizations severely attacked the school's decision to eliminate or scale back sports.

"The alumni hosted fund raisers in order to maintain the football program," Collins said.

On ocassion something positive can be produced by what is perceived as negative at the time. Collins said the quality of education obtained by their athletes increased dramatically within five years of the athletic cutback.

"The athlete is held to the same level of achievement as any other student. He is not allowed to merely go through the motions and not make the grade simply because he is an athlete," Collins said.

The majority of athletes at Prairie View are now graduating in fields such as engineering.

Collins said, "Black athletic programs should not die out. (But) black colleges may have to drop their standards and compete at a lower level than they previously would have."

Collins said that Prairie View chose academics over sports. He is concerned, however, that a large number of white universities may not be willing to make the same commitment. He said that coaches must realize that most of their athletes will not have careers in professional sports. Therefore, these coaches should stress academics, not simply a sports ethic.

Collins commended coach John Thompson because he pays s close attention to his players' academic performance as well as their athletic performance. As a result 90% of his athletes graduate.

"The coaching philosophy at Georgetown stresses academic excellence. Georgetown graduates more black athletes than any other white institution in the country," Collins said.

Collins said he feels that as more universities, both black and white, dedicate themselves to producing top-notch graduates instead of producing mindless athletic machines, the caliber of the athlete also improve.

LINK UP

FEE OFFERS INTERNET

E-mail the stars

Bill Clinton:

president@whitehouse.gov.

MTV's Adam Curry

curry@mtv.com

Billy Idol

idol@well.sf.ca.us

Rush Limbaugh at 70277.2502@compuserve.com

Douglas Adams

dna@dadams.demon.co.uk

Plenty of students complain about paying the $50 computer use fee, but one of the fringe benefits of it gives them something well worth the cost – free access to Internet.

Internet, "the information superhighway," is hot. It connects millions of people around the world with vital information. Everything from nonprofit organizations to military offices to the leaders of nations are linked together by Internet. Access to Internet and the information it provides is invaluable and students get it for a relatively low cost.

Services like NovaTel, Delphi and CRL Labs charge upwards of $50 per month or, at some, $6 per hour for the service, but students get free access because of the fee already tacked on to tuition. Unlike block time, a student’s access is virtually unlimited, affording hours upon hours of spare time on the net.

Getting linked up starts by filling out an application in Room 36 of the Heyne building. All enrolled students are eligible for an electronic mail account and getting one takes as little as two minutes. Applications must be re-filed each Sept. 15 if you want to keep your account.

From their accounts, students can compose writing, figure out complex math problems and send out and receive electronic mail, or e-mail. E-mail can be sent to other campus accounts as well as to other people connected to Internet. Sending e-mail in most cases costs nothing and is much faster than conventional mail, taking seconds to reach its destination.

Even the rich, famous and powerful have e-mail accounts. Bill Clinton can be contacted at president@whitehouse.gov. MTV star Adam Curry's address is curry@mtv.com and cyberpunk trendmonger Billy Idol's address is idol@well.sf.ca.us. Write to Rush Limbaugh at 70277.2502@compuserve.com and author Douglas Adams at dna@dadams.demon.co.uk. Of course, threats are subject to loss of access.

All users are expected to adhere to certain guidelines when using their accounts. Students may not use them for profit, for purely recreational purposes or create programs that tie up other users' time. Under some circumstances, a user can be penalized by loss of access for violating such rules.

However, most students never violate the rules, thus getting on the net usually means staying with it.

BEEPERS A CAMPUS BUZZ

by Cheryl Luedke

Beep beep, beep beep, beep beep. This well-known sound comes from almost every kid's pockets these days. No, it's not a Gameboy electronic game; it's a beeper! Whether for a fashion statement, a fad or actual communication, kids are jumping on the bandwagon and carrying pagers.

"The pager market will continue to grow," said Crystal Laramore, senior sales representative of Pagemart, which serves over 400,000 customers.

"I think it started as a fashion statement and kids had to have (pagers) to be cool," said Laramore, "but they found out that they really come in handy if friends or parents need to get in touch with them."

Nineteen-year-old Mike Andrews owns a pager because he is never at home and he wants his friends and girlfriends to be able to get in touch with him.

Twenty-one-year-old Edwin Lee owns a pager for the same reason. "I know people, older people, who have no jobs or cars but they own a pager for dealing drugs," said Lee. But carrying a pager is just a fad for some people, he added.

There are many different kinds of pagers available in many styles for beeper buyers to choose from. There are Motorola Bravo pagers, Bravo Plus pagers, voice-mail pagers and alphanumeric pagers, and they come in various colors (including neon).

According to Laramore, the current most-popular pager is the Lifestyle Plus, which holds 16 messages, beeps and vibrates, has a clock, and comes in assorted colors. This pager costs $84.95, said Laramore. But The Beeper Company advertises the same pager for $79, and Beeper Boutique's price for the pager is $89.

And the newest style? At Pagemart it is the Memo Express, which is an alphanumeric pager that sells for $139.95, Laramore said. It weighs about two and a half ounces and can be carried in a small holster or slipped easily into a pocket. The liquid crystal display (LCD) screen is on the side of the pager instead of the end, said Laramore, and it reads text messages across the screen instead of a phone number. It comes with an eight-message memory bank, eight alert tones and a clock. This pager also comes in assorted colors.

Just how much is this fad worth?

Pagemart, which is the fastest growing paging company in the United States, according to Laramore, sells numeric pagers ranging from $59.95 to $169.95 and alphanumeric pagers (or text messaging pagers) from $139.95 to $189.95.

After choosing just the right pager and the right color, whether you pay $59 or $189, you must then pay the activation fee, which should cost you about $20, said Laramore. But Beeper Boutique charges $39 for activation. Some companies also require the first month's airtime payment, usually about $6.95—$8. In essence, a person might pay almost $250 for the entire package, depending on where they shop for the pager.

Is it worth the price? Laramore, who said she does not believe pagers are merely a fad, said, "Beepers are the best way to communicate and keep in contact with people." She added that the growing market will undoubtedly include two-way paging devices by the end of this year.

"In the future you'll be able to pop up a little computer with CD-ROM in it, hold a conversation and see who you're talking to," said Laramore.

6-AND-OH OR A-GOLFING WE WILL GO

UH's SWC tourney hopes stay alive with TCU sweep

by Chris Peña

The Cougars will face their most crucial test of the season starting this Saturday when they travel to College Station to play a neutral site, three-game series against Southwest Conference co-leader Texas Christian.

This series was originally scheduled to be played at Cougar Field, but due to construction of the new athletic facility, it was moved to Olsen Field on the campus of Texas A&M.

The Cougars (29-20, 4-8 in the SWC) are coming off a 3-1 Tuesday victory over Lamar in Beaumont.

Senior first baseman Ricky Freeman drove in two runs in the top of the ninth inning to give the Cougars a three-run lead going into the bottom of the ninth.

"Ricky just tore the ball up in that game," said Houston head coach Bragg Stockton. "That was a big victory for us because the whole team played well in a tough place."

Those runs became necessary insurance as reliever Shane Buteaux was ineffective, failing to pick up his seventh save of the season.

Buteaux gave up one run on two hits and a walk and failed to retire a single batter.

Senior Brian Hamilton relieved Buteaux and pitched a solid two-thirds of an inning, giving up no hits and striking out Cardinal third baseman Trini Rivera.

Ryan Walter picked up the save after coming in for Hamilton and striking out Lamar pinch hitter Anthony Iapoce.

The win over Lamar gave the Cougars a three-game winning streak going into the two most important series of the 1994 season.

The Cougars will have their hands full when they square off against the Horned Frogs.

This series will not be played in the traditional SWC format. The doubleheader will still be played on Saturday but the single game will be at 1 p.m. Sunday instead of Friday.

TCU (30-16, 9-3) started off the conference schedule by losing two of three to the team they now share the conference lead with, Texas Tech.

Since then, the Frogs have played .900 ball (9-of-10), including sweeps of Baylor and Texas.

"This TCU team is as good as any team you will see out there," said Stockton. "They hit the ball very well and their pitching is solid."

After sweeping the Longhorns, TCU took two from Rice in Fort Worth.

The Frogs lost Friday's game 5-4, but they came back to win a 3-2 squeaker in the first game of Saturday's doubleheader. In the second game, they pounded the Owls 11-4.

TCU is led by senior catcher Darren Tawwater, who has been swinging a mighty bat this season.

Coming into this series, he is leading the team with a .362 batting average, 12 home runs and 47 RBIs.

The TCU pitching staff is anchored by junior Clay Carruthers who is 7-2 with a 4.55 ERA.

Reliever Tim Grieve is the team's closer and his nine saves lead the conference. Grieve has appeared in 23 games and has a paltry ERA of 1.60 in 33 2/3 innings of work.

The Cougars need to win all six of their remaining SWC games and get some help from Texas to determine their postseason fate.

Stockton is still optimistic about his team's chances.

"The 18-game schedule is what makes it tough," he said. "Each loss is magnified more, so now we just have some business to attend to."

Texas (31-16, 8-7) plays Tech in its last conference series of the season. If the Longhorns take at least two games from the Red Raiders, the Cougars will be playing golf in May.

But if Texas loses two of the three and Houston wins its last six games, including the final series against Tech, the Cougars will go to the SWC tournament, which is supposed to be held in College Station May 12-15.

The tournament site will most likely be moved because Texas A&M is almost assuredly out of the postseason picture.

Under Southwest Conference rules, the scheduled host must qualify for the tournament or else the site changes. The latest word is that the venue will be the new Ballpark at Arlington, home of the Texas Rangers.

TRACK TEAM DROPS BY (AT LEAST) THREE BEFORE SWCs

All that's going to be fixed has been fixed. There is no more to learn. Now it's just time to run the best you ever have.

Saturday and Sunday Rice University will host the Southwest Conference Outdoor Championships in track and field.

"I'm ready," said Cougar head track coach Tom Tellez. "Of course, I'm not going to run. Yeah, we're ready to go."

But the Cougars may not be as ready as they would like. They have lost several key athletes in the last few weeks.

Decathlete Matt Rasch suffered severe knee damage, including a tear of his anterior cruciate ligament, while practicing the pole vault. Tellez said that Rasch would have scored in the decathlon and the javelin. All points are crucial for the Cougars.

Cynthia Jackson, a member of the runner-up 1,600-meter relay team at the NCAA Indoors, has left the team for personal reasons. Triple jumper Starlie Graves will replace her.

This will be a challenge for a team that has placed second at the Indoors for the last two seasons and had its sights set on a first-place finish this year. It remains to be seen as to how far the relay team can go.

"It depends on how fast (Starlie) runs," Tellez said.

And finally, the Cougars have lost Allen Aldridge, their best shotput and discus thrower. Aldridge, who is expected to be drafted this Sunday in one of the NFL's seven rounds, said he dropped a class and fell below the required number of hours that would make him eligible to compete.

"He would have scored in both events and that will cost us some points," Tellez said.

On the up side, the Cougars' Sam Jefferson ran the 100-meter dash for the first time this season last weekend when he competed in the Mount San Antonio College Relays. He is the defending SWC champion in the 100- and 200-meter events. Earlier this season, Jefferson was diagnosed with hepatitis and his absence has hurt the team all season.

"I don't know what he's going to do," Tellez said. "But just to have him back is great for the team."

Jefferson will try to defend his 100-meter title but will not compete in the 200.

Another member the Cougars have lost for the season is distance runner Christy Bench. She is recovering from mononucleosis and the coaches will decide today if she will run at the SWC meet.

On the eve of the SWC championships, the Cougars are looking to do at least as well as the fourth-place finishes the men's' and women's teams earned during the SWC indoor season.

Tellez simplified the situation when he said, "As long as our kids run like they're capable of doing, we'll be fine."

<B>More Championships<P>

The tennis team will also be at Rice this weekend for the SWC tennis championship.

The men's and women's SWC tournament starts today. Houston's women face off against defending national champion Texas at 9 a.m. The tourney will conclude Sunday.

UH SIGNS RUCKER

The Lady Cougars basketball team has signed Tanda Rucker, a 5-9 point guard from Berkeley, Calif., for the 1994—95 season.

Rucker, a junior transfer from Merrit Junior College (Oakland), played two seasons at Stanford, including as a member of the 1992 national championship team in her freshman year. She also helped the Cardinal to a 26-6 record in 1993.

Joining Rucker on head coach Jessie Kenlaw's recruiting class, ranked No. 4 in the nation by USA Today, are 6-2 center Rosheda Hopson, 5-7 guard Fleceia Comeaux, 6-foot forward Amber Byars, 5-9 guard Jerri Cooper, 5-4 guard Melissa Gerth and 5-11 forward Jennifer Jones.

Junior transfer Stacey Johnson (5-9, Arizona State) and sophomore Nakia Hill (6-3, Montgomery (Md.) JC) can join the team in January, 1995.

DELAYS ANGER INTRAMURAL HIERARCHY

Delays in the construction of new intramural sports fields on campus have brought about a petition signed by 677 students who participate in those sports.

The petition, collected by Student President of Intramural Organizations Kirk Bateman and Vice-President Rafe Colburn, is aimed at the Facilities and Planning Department. The department is responsible for awarding funds available for construction to landscape contractors.

Currently, the department has not contracted all the work to be done on the field. Associate Vice Chancellor Jim Berry said that the bid for an irrigation system has not yet been contracted.

So far, the project is coming in under budget, Berry said, "but we still have one more bid to look at. Right now, we're in great shape."

Intramural Coordinator Mark Coleman was not as pleased.

"It's a moot point for us right now," said Coleman of the construction's progress. "We have three weeks left of softball. There's no way (the new fields) will be playable."

The new fields are being constructed to replace the three softball fields razed to make way for the $30 million athletic facility. Games are currently being played on the two remaining fields behind Hofheinz Pavilion.

Coleman said that the department was aware in late January that the intramural teams "had a pressing need to play softball." The softball season starts the first week in April, Coleman said.

"They were really upbeat, positive that they could have the figures they needed to put out a bid," Coleman said.

Ron Shoup of the Facilities Department confirmed that the first bids on the job were not put out until late February, a delay which was unacceptable to the intramural teams.

The fields were also scheduled to be finished by March, but that target date was also scrapped. Berry and Shoup said that the reason for the delay was that the first bids taken on the job were over the $80,000 budget.

"The price was so high, there was nothing we could do," Berry said of the first bids.

Originally, the university's plan was to contract the work out through a "general contractor," who would orchestrate the various jobs to be done. That proved too expensive, so now the Facilities Department must contract the work out themselves.

So far, the earthwork and landscaping have been contracted, Shoup said.

Asked to speculate on when construction could start, Berry replied, "In a couple of weeks, no sooner than that."

HOUSTON PRIMED FOR SWC VICTORY

Fresh off a come-from-behind win a week ago at its own tournament, the All-American Intercollegiate Invitational, the Houston golf team proved it has the firepower to challenge Texas and Texas Christian for the 69th Southwest Conference championship.

The event will cover three days beginning Sunday at the Ridgewood Country Club in Waco.

For the past 20 years, the SWC championship has come down to a battle between Houston and the Longhorns. This year does not appear to be any different.

UT is ranked seventh in the country and UH will undoubtedly climb from its No. 23 spot after its AAII win.

Houston has defeated seven of the current top 20 teams this season, including No. 6 Oklahoma, No. 9 North Carolina, 15th-ranked TCU, No. 16 Florida State, No. 17 Arkansas, No. 19 Texas A&M and No. 20 Louisiana State. Only three current unranked teams have topped the Cougars this year.

Scoring-average leader Dean Larsson, who won the International Intercollegiate in Monterrey, Mexico, leads the Cougars. Anders Hansen and Eric Bogar should also contend for individual honors.

Houston golf has won or shared a total of nine SWC championships since joining the league in 1973, including seven consecutive years from 1974—80. The Cougars will try to break the Longhorns' current winning streak of five consecutive championships.

A Houston player has won SWC individual honors 10 times, including such notables as Fred Couples (1979), Steve Elkington ('84 and '85), Ray Barr ('80 and '81), Ed Fiori (1977) and former UH golf coach Keith Fergus ('74 and '76).

ATERBALLETO HERE SATURDAY

by Manuel Esparza

Bored with spending the International Festival out in the humid Houston air, swilling warm beer with the sweaty masses, but still want to continue enjoying the Italian theme? Then come inside to the refreshing A/C in Jones Hall Saturday night and watch Italy's premiere dance company, Aterballetto.

In a country that has been in the artistic forefront since the Renaissance, the 15-year old company has added to that heritage with a number of works that should also stand the test of time.

The quality of the pieces and performances has led them to be called "an Italian Joffrey Ballet" (after one of the United States' top dance companies). Aterballetto performs in all of Italy's major festivals and tours extensively.

The evening's program is <I>Di Qua Di La Dal Mare (From Here From There From The Sea<P>) a mixed repertory that flows from classical to modern dance. Of the 15 works, seven are by the artistic director, Amedeo Amodio, who has held the position since the company's founding. The accompanying music bounces from Satie to Gerschwin.

What could be a more appropriate way to show the talent of the company than to start off with a Balanchine piece? <I>Apollon Musagete<P> is an exploration of lines symmetry and balance. The strong classic movements really tax a dancer's ability. A total of four Balanchine pieces are slated including the <I>Tcaikovsky Pas De Deaux<P>, which the Houston Ballet performed this season. Great for comparing styles.

With a turn to a more modern view, the company takes on parts of <I>Parade<P>, which is based on a libretto by Jean Cocteau and costumes by Picasso. It is a vignette of a futuristic Mardi Gras-styled parade. The music is by Satie, and the piece is pure sass.

Other bright spots on the program should be<I>A Sud Di Mozart (South Of Mozart)<P> , <I>Coppelia (finale)<P> and <I>Apres Midi D'un Faun (Afternoon Of A Faun) .

Amodio may have multiple pieces in the program, but definitely the one that will get the audience back from intermission in a hurry will be <I>Coccodrilli In Abito Da Sera (Crocodiles In Evening Wear<P>). It is a blur of daunting solos and slick dancers strutting around as if in a human mating ritual.

Given the talent presented, ticket prices ($5—$25) are well within anyone's budget. On the day of the show, students receive an unbelievable discount with a valid student ID. Dial 227—ARTS to order your tickets. The show begins promptly a 8:00 p.m. and there is no late seating.