SOUTH AFRICA'S ELECTIONS WATCHED CLOSELY

Michael Chamberlain

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – Houston election observers find themselves in a land of violence and hope. Touching down Tuesday at Jan Smutts International Airport, headlines of new bloodshed provide greetings. Five people were killed and 40 wounded in the township of Toleoza.

Among the dead was chief photographer of the Johannesburg Star, Ken Oosterbroele. But through the haze of violence shines new hope for stemming the violent opposition with the impending democratic elections. I learned of the breakthrough from my cab driver, David Thamage, who drove me from the airport. The Inkatha Freedom Party had agreed to participate in the April 27 elections.

Thamage was "very excited" about the elections. South Africa's blacks "have waited for this day for 400 years," he told me, adding that he will vote for Nelson Mandela's African National Congress. "The ANC needs to be given a chance – the National Party has failed," he insisted.

Recent polls predict an easy win for the ANC. The National Party, currently led by F.W. de Klerk, has ruled South Africa for 40 years. The National Party is expected to finish second out of 19 parties on the ballot.

I was dropped off at the election-observer training session at the University of Witwatersrand. More than 400 nongovernmental observers crowded the Great Hall at the university to hear presentations on the task ahead of us.

The morning session heard remarks from leaders of the Independent Electoral Commission, established and budgeted by a legislative act as part of the negotiated agreement on conduct for these historic elections.

Presentation topics included: the legal framework for elections, the role of observers, and security and emergency procedures. The afternoon session had short presentations from representatives of several political parties.

The second day of training focused on the "nuts and bolts" of the observer's role, and finished with meetings between observers assigned to each region. The Houston observer team, which consists of five members, will depart for Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State in the morning. The Orange Free State has the reputation of being a center of white Afrikaner resistance to the democratic change in South Africa. Many thousands of African farm workers live an existence of almost captive labor on white farms. Many of the farmers have resisted voter education of their work force, and there have been many reports of intimidation against the farm workers.

Other Houston observer team members include Deloyd Parker, executive director of the Shape Community Center; Laura Griffin, a Texas Southern University student; Zabesi Mwamba, professor of political science at TSU; and Beneva Williams Nyamu, a longtime Houston anti-apartheid activist and this reporter.

************************************************************

LATINO, CHICANO WORLD ISSUES ADDRESSSED

Tiffany Vaughner

The UH Mexican American Studies Program and the Mexican American Student Organization will host the Texas Regional Conference of the National Association for Chicano Studies on April 26 and 27.

The issues conference, titled, "Chicanos and Latinos: Members of the World Community," will address issues affecting the Mexican American and Latino communities in Texas and the United States in general.

Lorenzo Cano, associate director of Mexican American Studies, said the conference's theme was chosen to show the international nature of Latino people and how they are becoming a major force in America's culture and in the global economy.

He said the main purpose of the conference is to bring a sense of unity to the Latino community, but also to network with leaders in education, business and the arts, improving research skills and forming a solid knowledge base.

The conference features two keynote speakers. The first, Jose Angel Gutierrez, assistant professor of political science at the University of Texas at Arlington, will be speaking on "Changing Demographics and the Role of Latinos in the New World Order."

Gutierrez was active in the Chicano movement of the late '60s and '70s and is recognized as one of the founders of the Mexican American Youth Organization and the La Raza Unida political party. He is a practicing attorney in Dallas and was named one of the top influential Latinos in the United States by Hispanic Business Magazine. Gutierrez will be speaking at noon Tuesday in the UC Houston room.

The second keynote speaker, Teresa Cordova, is an assistant professor in Community and Regional Planning/School of Architecture and Planning at the University of New Mexico and will be speaking on "The Global Economy and Its Impact on Latinos."

Cordova is a faculty member with the Women's Studies Program at UNM and is chairwoman of the NACS Editorial Committee. She is responsible for starting one of the NACS' most popular publications, Chicana Voices: Intersections of Class, Race and Gender.

She is currently researching the impact of high-tech industry in New Mexico on its local communities. She has also researched the effects of the growing global economy on working-class communities in the United States and Mexico, and the long-term consequences of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Cordova will be speaking at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the UC Dallas room.

Other conference participants include UH faculty member Laura G. Murillo, MAS program coordinator, who will speak on "Amores, Dolores y Valores: Male-Female Relations" at 10 a.m. Wednesday in the UC Dallas room. Nicolas Kanellos, founder and editor of UH's Arte Publico Press, will be speaking on "Recovering the Hispanic Literary Heritage in the United States" at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in the UC Dallas room.

Also from UH, Nestor Rodriguez, associate professor of sociology, will be speaking on "Latinos and the Battle for the Border," which is about the land-grant movement in Mexico and the struggle for land rights. He will be speaking at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Fort Worth room.

The arts will be represented by San Antonio artist Adan Hernandez, whose Chicano-centered art work was featured in the movies "Blood In . . . Blood Out" and "Bound by Honor." He will be in attendance at an art exhibit and reception in the UC Cougar Den at 8 p.m. Tuesday. Also representing the arts is San Francisco's premier Chicano Theater group, Teatro De La Esperanza (Theater of Hope) performing <I>Rosario's Barrio<P>. The bilingual play is described as, "a Chicano <I>Mister Rogers<P> with plenty of salsa!" It will be shown at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Houston room as part of "Noche Cultural."

For more information and a complete list of speakers and activities, contact the Mexican American Studies program at 743-3136.

SCOTT SPARKS TELLS ALL

Touring gets longer, cooper comes back and more

Scott Sparks

In today's tough tour world the motto seems to be "Stay on the road till you squeeze all you can out of it." Case in point: <B>Depeche Mode<P>.

Depeche Mode, like several artists – <B>Billy Joel, Duran Duran, The Grateful Dead and The Spin Doctors<P> – has decided to return to cities they have played earlier on their respective tours.

Depeche Mode has been on the road some 17 months with its highly touted Devotional Tour. Often, the reasons for staying on the road are purely financial. The cost of touring has skyrocketed over the past decade and many artists are finding that stopping and starting tours is too costly due to paying road crews, insurance and travel expenses.

According to Paul Bryant, music director for 104.1 FM KRBE, "Depeche Mode has stripped down their show. They wanted to be able to have more interaction with the crowd and each other."

Bryant adds, "It also helps financially that the band has less to cart around, and they will also be able to play more and perform at smaller venues." So don't feel left out if you can't make that major tour. There's a good chance they'll be back within the year.

Miscellaneous: If you're counting on <B>Lenny Kravitz<P> to reschedule his tour through Texas you better think again.

Seems Kravitz has decided to call it quits after spending the last year and a half on the road. He will now concentrate on writing and recording a new album.

I keep hearing about a major "Disco" tour at the end of the summer.

As he promised, <B>Jon Secada<P> will have two albums out very shortly, one in Spanish and one in English, and both will have different songs.

At the end of May, <B>Alice Cooper<P> will have a new CD as well as a comic book.

Do you remember the old TV show <I>Bewitched<P>? It looks to be the next TV show to make it to the big screen. Don't laugh! Look at the great success of <I>The Fugitive<P>.

<B>Linda McCartney<P> is coming out with her own brand of frozen dinners. All vegetarian of course.

Watch for <B>The Rankin Family<P>. They may be crossing the border from the Great White North. The Family just won big in this year's Juno Awards in Canada. The Juno Awards are the Canadian equivalent to the Grammys.

The No. 1 song this week back in 1985 was "We Are The World," and the top spot in '82 belonged to <B>Joan Jett & the Blackhearts<P> with "I Love Rock 'n' Roll."

The new <B>Luther Vandross<P> CD will be all covers of old classics. The "cover" business is getting out of hand.

<B>Love & Rockets<P> is back together and recording again.

<B>Motley Crue<P>'s new CD is dropping fast on the charts and its support tour looks to be in jeopardy. If the Crue hits the road look for them to have several other bands with them to bolster their fortunes.

Happy Birthdays This Week: Luther Vandross, 43; <B>Iggy Pop<P>, 47; <B>Paul Carrack<P> (Squeeze), 43; <B>Robert Smith<P> (The Cure), 35; and <B>Peter Frampton<P>, 44.

Sparks is a Houston disc jockey for radio station 104.1 FM KRBE.

BLACKMUN CREATES OPPORTUNITY FOR HISPANIC JUDGES

by Mike Rush

Justice Harry A. Blackmun's retirement from the Supreme Court, while unlikely to bring a drastic change to the court's judicial philosophy, may create an opportunity for the first Hispanic to be appointed justice.

Judge Jose A. Cabranes, chief judge of the Federal District Court in Connecticut, is one of about five people President Clinton is considering to replace Blackmun when the justice retires at the end of the court's session in June. Blackmun announced his retirement April 6.

Other candidates under review for the position are Drew S. Days, a Yale University Law School professor now serving as solicitor general; Conrad Harper, a New York lawyer serving as the State Department legal adviser; Richard S. Arnold, U.S. Court of Appeals judge for Arkansas; and Judge Judith S. Kaye, chief judge of the New York Court of Appeals.

Senator George Mitchell of Maine and Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt were under consideration, but both said they were not interested in the position.

UH political science Professor John Sloan said Cabranes is probably Clinton's leading candidate because of his moderately liberal views and his ethnicity.

"All presidents like to do something for the first time, and there has never been a Hispanic member on the court," Sloan said. "I think that would have some appeal to Clinton to appoint the first Hispanic judge."

UH law Professor Sidney Buchanan said Clinton is looking for an individual of moderate judicial philosophy who will easily be confirmed by the Senate. He said Clinton is also concerned with minority representation on the court.

"Clinton is sensitive to the various constituencies – ethnic and racial groups – in our community that are thirsting to have finally one of their own be on the court," Buchanan said. "The most obvious group is the Hispanics."

He said other than ethnic origin, a president considers the person's political views and judicial philosophy, the current composition of the court and the quality and integrity of the individual.

Whomever Clinton appoints to Blackmun's seat will have little impact on the moderately conservative mentality of the court, Buchanan added.

"Blackmun, of course, had finally moved to the liberal side, and so Clinton's replacement will probably tilt toward the liberal side as well," he said.

Sloan said Clinton's appointment of Ruth Bader Ginsburg to replace Justice Byron White last year was more notable than this appointment because in that situation, a moderate liberal was replacing a conservative.

When Blackmun was appointed to the court in 1970 by then-President Richard Nixon, he was considered a conservative. Throughout his 24 years on the court, his views became increasingly more liberal.

Blackmun is best known for writing the 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision that legalized abortion. Authoring the majority opinion, he wrote, "This right of privacy, whether it be founded in the 14th Amendment's concept of personal liberty and restrictions upon State action, as we feel it is, or, as the District Court determined, in the Ninth Amendment's reservation of rights to the people, is broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy."

Other views the 85-year-old justice is noted for include his support of gay and lesbian couples' right to privacy in sexual conduct outside of marriage and his recent stance against capital punishment.

NO SURPRISES FOR UH AT SWC MEET

Going into the Southwest Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Cougar head coach Tom Tellez expected to do as well or better than the fourth-place finishes his men's and women's teams earned in the indoor season.

He received what he asked for.

The men's team found itself in third place with 90 3/4 points Sunday after the two-day outdoor championships, which were held at Rice University. The women finished fourth with 78 points. Texas won both the men's and the women's titles.

"Overall, the kids did well," Tellez said. "Everybody did true to form, and some did better than I thought they would."

Some Cougars did the best.

Ubeja Anderson won the hurdles event in a time of 13.75 seconds, only .16 ahead of teammate Steve Adegbite.

Anderson was also the final anchor on the 400-meter relay team that pulled out the victory coming from behind despite some difficult exchanges.

"I got out to a bad start, but I was able to straighten myself out and finish strong," Anderson said. "Once we can stop making mistakes that cost us, we'll improve."

Anderson also finished second in the 200. The other Cougar victory came from Sheddric Fields and his 24-5 1/2 long jump.

The Cougars also had good finishes from Sam Jefferson who, despite a poor run and hepatitis, placed second in his search for his third consecutive SWC title in the 100.

"I felt OK," he said." I made a few mistakes, but I'm getting better."

"He didn't run that good of a race," Tellez said. "He doesn't have any confidence right now."

The winners on the women's team were Drexel Long in the 400 and Edwina Ammonds in the heptathlon.

Long ran the quarter-mile in a personal best 52.93, edging out second-place Vonda Newhouse of Rice by almost 1/3 of a second.

"I didn't think I was going to run that fast," Long said. "(The victory) feels good, and it counted in a big meet."

Ammonds led three Cougars in near domination of the heptathlon. The three Cougar entrants finished first, second and fourth.

The women missed another first-place finish by the blink of an eye, or more specifically, four-thousandths of a second.

Anjanette Kirkland of Texas barely edged out Houston's Dawn Burrell in the 100-meter hurdles. Burrell also finished second in the long jump with a leap of 20-3.

The women's 1,600-meter relay team finished a disappointing fourth in the wake of the loss of Cynthia Jackson. The team had finished second the last two indoor seasons and had high hopes.

"We're doing fine, but it's just not the same," Long said.

Still, the teams did as well as they expected and Tellez said he was pleased.

"I think we've done better than (SWC) indoors," he said. "We've got other meets to think about. Some kids have got nationals."

HOUSTON'S ALLEN ALRIDGE NOT A DRAFT DODGER

The first two rounds of the NFL draft Sunday contained a welcome surprise for former Cougar linebacker Allen Aldridge.

The Denver Broncos made Aldridge the 51st overall selection at approximately 9:45 p.m., leaving the 6-1, 244-pound Willowridge graduate as shocked as he was elated.

"I'm real excited," Aldridge said when contacted shortly after seeing the news on ESPN. "I'm just out of it right now."

Aldridge said he had visited the Broncos a week prior to the draft to take a physical and get acquainted, but had not expected to be taken so high.

"I expected to go third, maybe fourth round," he said. "Some people were saying late second round, but . . . ."

Though he seemed at a loss for words, Aldridge managed to get across that the Broncos expected him to fit in at "inside or outside linebacker."

"I really like the attitude of the Broncos," he added. "They said they needed linebackers, but we really haven't gone into any details (about position)."

Details such as contract negotiations had not been started either, he said.

Aldridge had not been viewed as a top linebacker prospect by draft experts going into Sunday. However, he was taken ahead of Texas' 6-5, 250-pound run-stopper Winfred Tubbs, who ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper had ranked as the 30th best player available.

Another highly touted linebacker, Aubrey Beavers of Oregon, also took a back seat to Aldridge in the draft order. Beavers was drafted near the end of the second round, while Tubbs was not drafted at all by Sunday's close.

Just as it did the Southwest Conference in 1993, Texas A&M dominated the draft Sunday, landing three members of its nationally-ranked team in the first 29 picks. Only Notre Dame could boast as many first-rounders.

Defensive lineman Sam Adams was taken eighth by Seattle, cornerback Aaron Glenn went 12th to the Jets, and running back Greg Hill was a surprise pick at 25th overall by Kansas City.

While the first round was all Aggies, the second round proved a bit more interesting to SWC fans.

Rice quarterback Bert Emanuel was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons with the 45th pick overall. Emanuel opened some eyebrows playing wide receiver at the Senior Bowl, and will be tried there by Atlanta.

The Falcons already have a Houston connection, with head coach June Jones and offensive coordinator Mouse Davis both having coached pro football for the Oilers and Gamblers, respectively.

UT safety Van Malone was drafted at 57th overall by the Lions, rounding out the SWC draft picture.

UT GOLF TEAM LEADS SWC FIELD BY 13

WACO – The Texas Longhorns took a commanding 13-stroke lead after the first round of the Southwest Conference men's golf championships.

Texas had the only low round of the day, a 2-under-par 278 at the Ridgewood Country Club. Houston was second with an 11-over-par 291.

Third through eighth were Baylor (292), Texas Christian (294), Southern Methodist (299), Texas A&M (300), Texas Tech (304) and Rice (305).

Marcus Jones of UT dominated the field with a 4-under-par 66. Houston's Dean Larsson finished with a 69.

The next closest Cougar was Eric Bogar, tied for ninth with a 3-over-73.

The final two rounds will be played today and Tuesday.

FROGS DESTROY UH PITCHERS FOR SWEEP

Coogs eliminated from tourney

by Chris Peña

COLLEGE STATION – After being swept by Texas Christian here at Texas A&M's Olsen Field, the Houston Cougars don't care where the Southwest Conference tournament will be held – they're not going.

Houston (29-23 overall, 4-11 in the SWC) did not go down gracefully. The Cougars committed 11 errors and gave up 41 runs in three games, something that did not sit well with Houston head coach Bragg Stockton.

"All the things I teach and preach, TCU did, but the Cougars didn't," he said. "It was all execution."

TCU certainly executed. The Horned Frogs sentenced all the Cougars' chances of playing in the SWC tournament to death, combining strong starting pitching with a deep batting order.

"I've said all along we had a good ball club," said TCU coach Lance Brown. "We've got good pitching and nine guys that can hit."

In Sunday's game, things got out of control early. The Frogs hopped out to a 6-0 lead in the first inning, pounding out five hits, including back-to-back homers by left fielder Beto Garza-Gongora and right fielder Gavin Millay.

That's all the support TCU pitcher Reid Ryan needed.

Ryan (6-5) was almost unhittable. He scattered five hits over eight innings, allowing only two runs while striking out six.

Reliever Tim Grieve came in to close out the 13-2 charade before an estimated crowd of 50.

Saturday's doubleheader was even uglier. Houston was smacked around and lost both games by scores of 9-4 and 19-4.

In the first game, TCU pitcher Derek Lee cruised to an easy victory, pitching 4 1/3 innings of five-hit ball. As usual, Lee was helped out by the TCU hitters and Cougar errors.

With TCU center fielder Shawn Stanek on first base in the top of the fifth and the score knotted at 1, third baseman J.J. Matzke picked up a ground ball and threw to second for the force.

But the ball landed in right field, and after Adam Robson walked to load the bases, catcher Darren Tawwater lined a Matt Beech pitch into the left field gap, scoring three runs.

Houston scored two in the sixth to close to 4-3, but the Frogs collected five in the top of the seventh to put the game away.

The second game was another sad affair. TCU scored in every inning but the seventh and pounded out 14 hits without committing an error.

Cougar starter Bo Hernandez, bothered by shoulder problems, didn't last the first inning.

Garza-Gongora hit two home runs and collected seven RBIs in the game, and Millay drove in three runs.

Brown was glad the series was played in College Station.

"Since we play Texas A&M here next week, it gives us a chance to see the field and get adjusted," he said.

Brown added his team is now in command of the SWC race and is ready to play for the championship. TCU need only win one from Texas A&M to claim the league crown.

Stockton has different hopes now.

"We need to get our 30th win against East Texas Baptist (Tuesday)," he said. "We need to get ready for Baylor in Waco and finish on a high note."

FROGS HOLD ON FOR TITLE

Texas Christian ends A&M rally to win SWC Championship; Texas women win as usual

The Texas Christian men's tennis team, currently ranked No. 5 in the nation, knocked off top seed Texas A&M 4-2 to win what may be the final Southwest Conference Tennis Tournament Sunday at Jake Hess Stadium.

After the match was delayed an hour due to rain, the Aggies took the first points of the day by winning two of three in doubles competition.

The Horned Frogs then won the next three points by winning the first three singles matches, including a hard-earned victory fought at center court.

TCU's Paul Robinson won the third set 6-1 over Mark Weaver from Texas A&M, but Robinson had to go 7-5 to win the second set and force the split.

The Aggies staged a comeback when Ricardo Rodarte defeated TCU's Jason Weir-Smith to keep Aggie hopes alive.

On the next court, A&M's Eric Horan split sets with Stefan Figley, further increasing the chances of an Aggie come-from-behind victory.

But the Horned Frogs clinched the title when Dave Roditi beat Blake Arrant 6-3, 6-4.

In women's play, No.1 Texas won its eighth consecutive title in the SWC Championships when the Lady Longhorns defeated Texas A&M 4-0 in straight sets.

Texas has now won 11 of the 12 tournament titles, losing only to Texas A&M in 1986.

After sweeping the singles matches, Texas head coach Jeff Moore decided it was unnecessary to play doubles.

"I'm extremely pleased with the way we played," he said. "We decided not to play doubles because the match is over."

The Longhorn team is now a flawless 23-0 and finished the regular season a perfect 20-0 for the first time.

In the SWC, the Longhorns won six of the seven dual matches in straight sets.

In the morning, Texas and Texas Tech faced off in a playoff for third place. Texas beat the Raiders 4-0.

HOLY COW! TOLEDO'S DISC PLENTY OF POP

by Tom Turner

Imagine being signed to a major record label while still under the age of 20. This is exactly the good fortune that has graced the four members of The Holy Toledos.

The New Zealand-based group has constructed a sound that "mixes pop and progressive sensibilities with a special blend of vocal harmonies through jangling guitars. "The overall sound on the band's latest release, <I>Blood<P>, is natural and clean.

The Holy Toledos are lead by Michael and Brendan Gregg. Both play guitar, do the vocal work and write a majority of the songs. Brendan Gregg also does a majority of the drum work on <I>Blood<P>.

The other members of the group are Adam Gallagher on bass and Tom Mahon on lead guitar. On the band's latest release, Paul Hester, the drummer for Crowded House, contributed his drum work on one of the tracks. Hester also produced the album for the band.

Some of the more ear-catching songs on <I>Blood<P> include "Loves Not Fair," "Blood," "New Sun Rise" and "Any Other Day." The 12-track release is based on straightforward pop rhythms. A few of the tracks are similar to some of the work done by Material Issue, but with a smoother and cleaner sound.

The Holy Toledos have already toured with many other groups such as Crowded House, Transvision Vamp and Simply Red.

With <I>Blood<P>, The Holy Toledos have put together an album that will surely please those who dig pop music. This is a fairly solid release for the group.