DUBS NOT ROCKY ON ROAD

by D. McAdams

Those sensitive Irishmen are at it again.

Don't buy the Young Dubliners <I>Rocky Road<P> expecting to get the next U2. This group isn't quite as angry as America's best-loved Irish import (well they were angry before Bono and Edge decided it was okay to wear rhinestones, outmoded 1960s shades and freestyle in the mainstream).

Keith Roberts on vox, acoustic guitar and Paul O'Toole also on vox as well as guitars, mandolin and harmonica are true Dubliners and make up the band's axis. The pair met in Los Angeles and founded the band.

They soon picked up another fellow Dubliner living in L.A., Bren Holmes, for bass work and backup vocals. Americans Jeff Dellisanti on the saxophone, flute and backup vocals; Randy Woolford, who does electric guitars and backup vocals; and Jon Mattox playing drums, percussion as well as backup vocals came along later. Irish-American Lovely Previn (who just happens to be the daughter of famed conductor Andre Previn) rounds out the group, playing violin and viola, in addition to doing chores on backup vox.

The Dubs (as the group's fans call them, so says the bio from the press flacks) don't sound exactly like the Pogues. In fact, it seems as though Roberts and O'Toole really try to play down the Irish accents on some of the cuts. This is truly sad because their stronger cuts are the ones in which they let their Irish voices come through loud and clear.

This is best experienced on "Rocky Road to Dublin." The song features Roberts and O'Toole at their Irish best, belting in an Irish brogue as thick as mud while the band plays in a traditional Irish folk manner with a sprinkling of American rock music in the mix. But this is the only song where one really gets to taste the brogue. The next cut sounds like early '80s pop.

Even so, you'll catch your head bobbing in time to the flute, subtle guitar riffs and jangly acoustics in "Last House on the Street." "Black and White" is the obligatory love song. In "Holy Ground," the Dubs go Southern and do a song that sounds like Irishmen trying to sing an Southern country song, and they aren't half bad at it either.

Of course you can't have any musician from the Emerald Isle not do a song about the sad state of affairs in Belfast. "Enough is Enough" has the Young Dubliners opening with a country music-sounding Irishman on a harmonica wail as the song fades into a heartfelt plea for the violence in Ireland to end.

<I>Rocky Road<P> ends appropriately enough with more Irish folk, albeit with a modern sound (one doubts the ancient Irish Celts ever used saxophones and electric guitars in their music) on "Ashley Falls." If you like light, country/folk sounding pop music, the Young Dubliners are your pint of Guiness.

Contact them at: The Young Dubliners Fan Club, c/o Fair City, 2020 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90403.

************************************************************

RESTAURANTS EMBRACE SMOKING BANS

by Jesse W. Coleman

Smoking has been prohibited in several restaurants near UH.

The management of the two Burger Kings, located on Scott Street and on Cullen Boulevard and Popeye's Creole Fried Chicken, on Scott Street, have joined the University McDonald's in prohibiting smoking in their facilities.

The University McDonald's banned smoking in the restaurant a little more than a year ago. Alfred Powers, the manager, said students from UH, Texas Southern University and some members of the community asked that smoking not be allowed in the restaurant.

"We originally wanted to have a designated smoking section, but the customers asked that we not allow smoking at all," he said.

Powers said satisfying customers' requests is the primary goal and the smoking ban hasn't hurt business.

Gloria Martinez, manager of Subway Sandwiches & Salads on Wheeler, said her store banned smoking beginning April 15.

Martinez, who did smoke, said the smoking ban is not a good idea and will not be good for business. She said people should have the right to smoke before and after they eat.

Texas Attorney General Dan Morales sued five of the largest fast-food restaurant chains in Texas in February. His suit claims restaurant managers were exposing their customers and employees to health dangers found in second-hand cigarette smoke.

The chains named in the suit were McDonald's, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell and Long John Silvers Seafood.

Anita Chaney, assistant manager at the Burger King on Cullen, said her company made a good decision. She said the restaurant officials instituted the smoking ban in March .

Carolyn Jordan, manager of Burger King on Scott , said they have prohibited smoking in the restaurant for the last three months and business hasn't been affected.

The Black-Eyed Pea, China Star and Pizza Hut restaurants have designated smoking sections.

At Frenchy's Creole Fried Chicken, manager Sena Ivery, said the restaurant is built so that the dining area is open. She said she gets no complaints from customers about others' smoking.

In 1993, UH officials banned smoking inside all facilities and vehicles owned or leased by the university, exceptions being in residential areas where occupants agree to permit smoking in leased public facilities, UH Hilton and the UC Arbor. Smoking is permitted for artistic performances that involve smoking.

NON-SMOKERS GAINING GROUND

by Jesse W. Coleman

Last week, the chief executive officers from seven of the nation's largest tobacco companies appeared before a congressional subcommittee defending charges that they manipulate the amount of nicotine in their products and that nicotine makes cigarettes.

This is one of many attacks organized against the tobacco companies in recent months.

UH Political Science Professor and political analyst Richard Murray said a combination of factors has contributed to the attacks.

In a recent interview Murray said one of the factors in the recent spate of attacks on the tobacco giants is the accumulation of overwhelming medical and scientific evidence that indicates smoking is harmful to smokers and those non-smokers nearby.

"As more adults quit smoking and are partially better educated, the politics changes," Murray said. "And these are the folks who vote."

Murray said the political risks for acting aggressive against the smoking industry are decreasing because most voters no longer smoke. He said the number of young people who smoke has increased particularly among young males who are not well educated.

Murray said another factor is the success of the anti-smoking lobby groups that are getting ordinances passed and putting pressure on Congress.

"Success breeds success," he said. He said the groups have gone from asking restaurants to require designated smoking areas to requesting that the entire restaurant be declared smoke-free.

Murray said because smoking has become such a highly-visible issue, the tobacco lobbyists can't defeat the anti-smoking groups. He said politicians can't avoid the issue and with the upcoming votes in Congress, many politicians have to choose a side.

Murray said the California movement to toughen non-smoking laws could benefit President Bill Clinton in his anti-smoking position.

"(President Clinton) takes some heat in the Southern states such as Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia," he said.

Murray said the Southern states Clinton won in the previous presidential election tended to be states that did not rely on tobacco as a mainstay of the economy. He said smoking is not a major issue in Texas, relative to other states.

Other attacks against the smoking industry came from the Defense Department when it announced restrictions on smoking at U.S. military bases worldwide, when Department of Labor officials announced plans to phase out smoking in the work place and when Texas Attorney General Dan Morales filed suit against five fast food restaurant chains in Texas.

SOUTH AFRICANS WEATHER TERRORISM AS ELECTIONS NEAR

by Michael Chamberlain

It is a balmy autumn day in Johannesburg. Our Houston-based observer team is here in South Africa to help monitor this country's first democratic all-race election.

We are anxious to get on the road; anxious to reach our deployment site. Based in the Orange Free State City of Bloemfontein, we will view pre-election campaigning as well as election day polling.

Driving with us is Moses "Moss" Tau. Moss, 46, is on the staff of the U.S. Lawyer Committee on Civil Rights.

Wearing a black beret and a relaxed manner, Moss tells us about his life, about apartheid and about music. Born in the township of Soweto, Moss became friends with world famous jazz musician, Hugh Masekela. Moss toured with Masekela on his 1992 U.S. tour. He also travels with him when Masekela tours in South Africa. Moss is his road manager.

Soweto lies just south of Johannesburg along our route to Bloemfontein. Moss pulls our vented Corolla off the freeway to give us a brief tour of the township, which is his home.

Sprawling across rolling hills, Soweto is home to three million people. We stop at a low red brick wall surrounding a monument stone. This is the memorial to Hector Peterson. Peterson and several hundred other students and youth were shot down by police and soldiers during the protests of 1976.

Moss points out to us the worker "hostels" scattered throughout the township. Barracks for contract workers, the hostels have been at the center of much of the violence which has bled this country over the past decade.

"Before 1976, relations between the hostels and the township residents were friendly," Moss told us. "Township residents would at times use the showers in the hostels. Many of the young contract workers of the hostels had girlfriends in the township."

This all changed with the student uprising against the attempt to impose education in Afrikanz in 1976.

Students walked out of school and marched in the streets. They were shot down by the hundreds. "Then the students came to a point where they began to involve their parents," Moss explained.

"There was a week when students said 'No one should go to work as a protest against what the soldiers and police had done,' " he continued.

"The people of the township responded well, and we didn't go to work." The strike divided the hostel residents. "Other ethnic groups in the hostels heeded the call of the liberation structures," Moss said.

"But the Zulus in the hostels said 'We are not part of Soweto; we are here to work.' And they attempted to go to work during the strike. In this they had the blessing of their Chief Minister, Mangosuthu Buthelezi."

When the Zulus went to work, they were stopped by the township residents, and so, Moss said, "in anger, the hostels responded by attacking the neighborhoods near their hostels."

After many lives were lost, attitude toward the hostels began to change in Soweto.

"That was the first time I actually saw Chief Buthelezi," Moss said. "He came to the hostels and he said 'You did a good job. You shouldn't be told by people who are anti- not to go to work.' "

After leaving Soweto we are still four hours from Bloemfontein. At times the countryside looks like Texas; huge fields of crops and cattle range.

Occasionally something catches the eye to remind us that we are in Africa, like when the large animals grazing beyond a barbed wire fence turn out to be ostriches.

We reach the cabin where we will spend the night. Upon turning on our short-wave radio we hear that bombs have been detonated at an election office and two private homes in this province.

The Orange Free State is a stronghold of the neo-Nazi AWB, a white Afrikaner movement. The AWB has threatened barricading roads and violence to disrupt Wednesday's election.

And, yes, we are apprehensive.

CORE CHANGES RILE BOARD

by Naruth Phadungchai

The Undergraduate Council argued Thursday over whether or not academic departments should report major curriculum changes to the board.

Recently, the English Department eliminated the English 1303 and 1304 exit exams. Students were previously required to pass these tests before moving on to the next level of English.

The council, which usually votes on curriculum changes, was not informed of the elimination until after it was already in effect.

Some professors on the council agreed that changes to important core courses may adversely affect the quality of those courses.

In a letter to John McNamara, director of Lower Division Studies in English, Dr. Joanna Friesen, council member and Chair of the Core and Degree Requirements Committee wrote, "We … take this opportunity to remind you that proposals for such changes are expected to be presented to the Undergraduate Council <B>before<P> implementation."

One council member said "It is in the departments' own interest (to give some warning)."

Vice Chair of the Undergraduate Council Lawrence Curry asked those present if "wanting to know about (the English Department's decision) means having a chance to say 'no.' " Curry said he recognized the English Department's prerogative in "its course management."

President of the Faculty Senate Ernst Leiss said of any plan to change course contents, "if the department has discussed it and approved it, then it should go forward."

He said department personnel won't like having the council micromanaging their department.

However, the consensus among council members was that the board should be informed of all changes, whether or not they have a vote in the final decision.

"We have never developed an academic policy manual that spells out which action goes through which department," said Professor of Geosciences Rosalee Maddocks.

Professor of Mathematics Charles Peters, chair of the Admissions, Advising and Retention Committee, in a memo, informed the council that his committee is looking into whether new international students should take the SAT as a requirement for admission.

Peters said, "a committee member suggested the SAT be required (for international students)." Though the SAT is not currently a requirement at UH for those students, it is at other schools, such as Rice University.

The fairness question is made moot by the fact that many international applicants take some kind of exam for admission to their own national universities.

The committee does not recommend that the council require international students to take the test.

LAW LECTURE

President of the Native American Bar Association and Texas practicing attorney will speak to Margaret Aycock's Research in Foreign and International law class at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in Room 144 of the Bates Law Building.

She will discuss issues of concern to U.S. and Texas Native Americans, including sovereignty questions, the administration of the Indian Child Welfare Act and casinos on reservations.

Tingle is a graduate of the Oklahoma City University School of Law. Her law practice in San Marcos, Texas is devoted to American Indian Law.

Tingle's father and uncle were UH football players. Tingle believes her relatives to have been the first UH American Indian graduates.

She is a tribal member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.

The class is open to all. For more information call 743—2077.

JOURNALIST SPEAKER

Michael Burton, noted freelance journalist and author of John Henry Faulk; the Making of a Liberated Mind, will be speaking 10 a.m. Friday in Room 201 of the Communications Building.

Anyone interested in freelance writing is welcome to attend. Bring any questions and receive tips on becoming a freelance writer.

Burton has been published in Texas Monthly, The Austin Chronicle, The Austin magazine and many other publications.

The event is sponsored by the UH branch of the Society of Professional Journalists.

Immediately following Burton's speech, elections for next year's officers, including SPJ president and vice president will be held.

This will be the last SPJ-sponsored event of the year.

CYCLIST BATTLE FATIQUE WHILE FIGHTING MS

About 5,000 people decided to spend some quality time together this weekend. It wasn't exactly a party but rather a fund-raiser for Multiple Sclerosis. There were no famous celebrities, only athletic, good-hearted Houstonians willing to peddle their little legs to Austin in the MS 150.

The 178-mile ride started at 8:30 a.m. Saturday and continued through Sunday. The starting point was Houston's Tully Stadium and the finish was the Texas' capital. Riders of the yearly event are required to pay a $25 registration fee and then raise $150 in pledges. The funds go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Association for research to find a cure for the disease.

Peter Link, a psychology major, decided to spend his weekend biking with the 5,000 other riders. "I really enjoyed it when I went in 1988. I thought wow! It's really a fun event and why not do it again this year," he said.

This was the 10th annual MS 150 ride. Link said that along with meeting great and interesting people from Houston, Austin and the surrounding areas, he found one aspect of the ride especially amusing. "They had travelling showers for us. I was one of the first 500 riders to get to La Grange and the men would line up for the showers, while women would just walk in. Each time a woman would go in the men would cheer. They would give us that kind of look, like 'At least now you know how we feel waiting in line.' "

The reason for the quick entry into showers for women was not that they enjoy sweat and dirt, but that a much larger male population participated.

Another exciting part of the ride was meeting a group of kids who saw the riders as famous stars. "Local kids went around and asked riders' for autographs," he said.

The average age for riders was mid-30s, but Link said he did encounter a 12-year-old rider.

The riders who were unable to complete the ride due to break-downs or fatigue were picked up by wagons and driven to Austin. Link said that a few riders who sustained injuries on the steep hills or narrow roadways were taken to hospitals. "It was dangerous. Some hills we descended at 45 miles per hour," he said.

Along the way, the riders were provided with food and drinks. Bands also provided some relaxation for the riders. "We were provided with BBQ chicken sandwiches. The local clubs had stands set up with beer and Cokes. The food was really good and there was lots of it. We could stuff ourselves. But the really nice thing about this ride was the many volunteers. They did the cleaning-up, cooking and serving of the meals. It was well organized," Link said.

Link plans on riding in the MS 150 next year also. "I saw beautiful countrysides and the cultural experience was also very nice for me. It was a really nice experience. It had its thrill." He advises anyone who is even slightly interested in riding in the MS 150 next year to definitely try it. "Riders need to call the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and request a registration booklet. The ride is usually at the end of April, but call in advance for dates. Then you can start raising pledges and at the same time start training. 178 miles is a long ride," Link said.

Anyone interested in seeing Texas by bike and raising money for Multiple Sclerosis should call 713—323—4873 or toll free 800—526—8967 for more information.

SMITH, MCCOY, ROUND OUT UH PICKS

Two more Cougars began their NFL lives Monday afternoon as the first ever seven-round NFL draft reached its conclusion.

Running back Lamar Smith was taken in the third round by the Seahawks with the 73rd overall pick. Linebacker Ryan McCoy became the third and final Cougar drafted when the Eagles claimed him at 174th overall in the sixth round.

Allen Aldridge was still asleep at draft's end after learning late Sunday night that he was headed to Denver. The Broncos made the linebacker the 51st overall pick in the second round.

Aldridge will be leaving Friday for Denver to participate in "rookie orientation and other stuff." He said he will be playing "stand-up" outside linebacker and defensive end in pass-rush situations, but other opportunities may present themselves in training camp.

"I'll be trying to stay with the Broncos for as long as I can," Aldridge said.

That kind of loyalty is what Denver has come to expect out of UH players. Simon Fletcher, a long-time pass-rushing end for the Broncos, was taken out of Houston nine years ago in the second round.

Seattle's drafting of Smith was probably motivated by the loss this off-season of longtime fullback John L. Williams to the Steelers via free agency. Smith was one of the top-rated fullbacks in the draft despite a shoulder separation in the fifth game against Texas A&M in 1993.

"I never thought Seattle would take me," Smith said of his selection. "I was thinking Pittsburgh, so I was shocked when (the Seahawks) called me."

As the Williams signing occurred on the eve of the draft, Seattle may have had to make some last-minute changes in their strategy.

"All they said was I was going in as a combination back, meaning I'll play both fullback and halfback," Smith said from his home in Fort Wayne, Ind., on Monday. "I'll block, catch and run the ball.

"I think I fit in very well. I run the ball out of the backfield and I block. I'll have things to learn but it isn't going to be that hard."

McCoy, Houston's leading tackler each of the last three seasons, could not be reached for comment late Monday. The Eagles were looking for linebacker help after Seth Joyner followed his former coach Buddy Ryan to the Arizona Cardinals.

Another Cougar draft hopeful, quarterback Jimmy Klingler, was one of many players hurt by the shortened draft this season. As the starting signal-caller at UH the last two years, Klingler elected to come out early instead of returning for his senior season.

He may regret his decision after he was passed over Monday. The free agency market is still open to him.

The Southwest Conference produced 16 draft picks. After landing three players in the first round, Texas A&M sent three more to NFL clubs Monday for a total of six A&M draftees in 1994.

Aggie defensive tackles Jason Mathews (third round, 67th overall) and Lance Teichelman (seventh round, 196th) both went to Indianapolis, while end Eric England (third round, 89th) was taken by Arizona.

Texas Tech grads were surprisingly popular in the late rounds. Running back Byron "Bam" Morris became a Steeler with the 91st pick in the third round, and wideouts Lloyd Hill and Derrell Mitchell were taken by the Bears and Saints with the 170th and 176th picks, respectively.

Linebacker Winfred Tubbs of Texas slid to the third round and the 79th overall pick after an injury-plagued '93. The Saints made him the second of two Longhorns drafted.

Fullback Robert Strait was the lone Baylor pick. He went to Cleveland at the 171st position.

DRAFT, 30-WIN PLATEAU REMAIN FOR COOGS

Final four games represent recuperation period for pitching staff, role players

by Chris Peña

Get out the bandages and the shrinks. Coming off a three-game Southwest Conference battering at the hands of Texas Christian, the Cougars are wounded spiritually and physically.

But rather than playing East Texas Baptist today at Rice's Cameron Field, the Cougars might be better off spending some time in a recovery ward.

Going into the TCU series, the Cougars were already without rising utility player Tom Maleski, who was suffering from a badly pulled hamstring.

Then, to add salt to the wound of a three-game sweep, the Cougars lost two of their top pitchers.

Saturday, starter Bo Hernandez was ineffective in lasting only 1/3 of an inning while being tagged for five runs.

Hernandez has been plagued by shoulder problems all season long. Early in the season, he was limited to 60 pitches per game while his shoulder healed.

But after he picked up a complete victory against Oklahoma on March 9, Hernandez said his shoulder felt fine.

In the same game, reliever David Hamilton was forced to leave with an elbow injury that left him in excruciating pain.

Hamilton walked off the mound under his own power, but his face captured the pain caused by the ruptured tendon in his pitching arm.

Add these injuries to the loss of middle infielder Ryan Elizondo due to poor grades and the season ends painfully.

Head coach Bragg Stockton said he was concerned about the injuries but said this team still has some things to play for.

"Our pitching is very thin now," he said. "We've got a lot of injuries now, but we've got to get ready to play Baylor."

Indeed, the Cougars still have to play out the schedule. Two starters have a chance to claim some personal glory in a season that might see the team win 30 games but accomplish little more than it did last year.

First baseman Ricky Freeman is hitting .395 with seven home runs. Those stats, coupled with only six strikeouts in 180 at-bats, give Freeman a good chance at getting drafted this summer.

The other player to surely be drafted will be right fielder/reliever Shane Buteaux.

Buteaux has been solid all season and has been torrid at the plate, combining a .382 batting average with 11 home runs, 51 RBIs and 27 stolen bases.

On the mound, Buteaux has excelled even though this is the first season he has pitched.

Buteaux has a record of 6-3, with five saves and an earned run average of 4.70. Even more impressive is his fastball, which has been clocked at 95 miles per hour.

Buteaux said he has heard from many teams and he is likely to go as a pitcher, not a hitter.

Starting pitcher Matt Beech, who earlier this year threw a perfect game against Louisiana Tech and was drafted last year by the Detroit Tigers, slipped to a 4-5 record.

Even with that record, Beech will probably get drafted again. He has been plagued by offensive and defensive support throughout the season.

Case in point was the first game of Saturday's doubleheader against TCU.

Beech gave up five runs in the top of the fifth but the defense committed two crucial errors which precipitated the onslaught.

So with four games left in the regular season, Stockton is baffled by his team's performance.

"I always said we can play at a high level," he said. "But I don't know if we will anymore.

"When you give up six runs in the first inning, it just takes the wind out of you. This team needs good starting pitching."

After all the injuries are tallied, Beech and Kevin Boyd are the only starters left.

Although Stockton is disappointed at the way the season has turned out, he still has one goal for his team to accomplish.

"We need to get to 30 wins," he said.

Unfortunately, all those wins won't earn the Cougars a trip to the SWC tournament. In May, this team will only be thinking about next year and the new stadium they will be playing in.

***********************************************************

UT HOLD LEAD, UH SLIPS

The Texas Longhorns maintained their lead, but Texas A&M leapt to second place in the second round of the Southwest Conference golf championships in Waco after sitting in the sixth spot the day before.

Four Aggie players had rounds of 2-over-par or better as A&M leapfrogged Houston by a stroke for a 32-over-par 592. The Cougars had been in second place and led the Aggies by nine shots after the first round.

UT kept its iron grip on the field despite slipping on a 21-over-par day. The Longhorns held a 12-stroke advantage at 19-over 579. Houston was paired with Texas and completed the second round at 22-over.

"We battled the winds and greens more than (we battled) the Longhorns today," said UH interim head coach Rookie Dickenson. "We were only one stroke behind Texas (in the second round), so they didn't get too much more out in front."

The Cougars had a miraculous run in their own All-American Intercollegiate Invitational tournament prior to the SWC championship, coming from seven strokes back in the final round to win by three.

Some of that same magic will be needed to conquer the 14-stroke deficit facing the Cougars now.

"We will do better tomorrow. One, because we're going off earlier in the day and two, we don't want to go out playing like we did today," Dickenson said.

Texas' Justin Leonard held a slim one-stroke lead entering today's final round with a 2-over-par 142. Deron Zinnecker of TCU was second at 143.

Cougars Eric Bogar and Brad Montgomery were tied for sixth place at 147 (+7). Both players have only three top 10 finishes between them this year.

Dean Larsson shot a 9-over-par 79 and tumbled into a tie for ninth after sharing second place with a first-round 69 (-1).

Anders Hansen (tied for 22nd, +12) and Noel Barfoot (39th, +20) completed the Houston standings.

COUGARS MAKING OUTDOOR RUN AT NCAA QUALIFYING

The Southwest Conference track and field season may be over but the Houston men's and women's teams are far from being finished.

The NCAA Outdoor Championships do not start until June 1 and the Cougars are scheduled to compete in three more meets. There is no rest for those that may want to sit back and reflect on the SWC meet.

Seven Cougars have already automatically qualified for the NCAA meet and will be using this time to work on minor technical problems and continue training.

Others have provisionally qualified and are looking to use the remaining meets to get into the nationals.

Tellez said he feels that the Cougars could qualify four more for the NCAA meet.

Triple jumpers Jermaine Johnson and Chris Lopez both qualified last season and have a chance this year. Tellez also feels strongly about the chances of high jumpers Kenneth Bigger, 1993's indoor conference champion, and Luis Ramirez.

The next month could also prove to be a time of decision making for Tellez.

If any relay teams should qualify, Tellez will have to decide if it would be more beneficial to run the relay or the individual races. To run both might tire an athlete and cost the relay team a chance to place in another event.

Tellez said he was specifically thinking of the women's 1,600-meter relay team. Drexel Long has a chance to qualify on the relay as well as in the 400. But running in both might cost placing in either.

"(The next month is) going to be crucial," Tellez said.

Sam Jefferson and Christy Bench are recovering from illness that have kept them from competing for most of the season. Both had strong performances at the SWC meet. Jefferson finished second in the 100 and Bench placed fifth in the 10,000.

Jefferson is the defending SWC 100 and 200 champion and placed third and fifth at the NCAA's respectively. He will be using this time to return to his form of old.

For the remaining members of the team, head coach Tom Tellez will use this time to see how they improve and train, even though they have little to gain in this season.

"I want to see the kids training and trying hard to qualify," Tellez said.

Especially the underclassmen. The lack of pressure between now and the NCAA's will give Tellez and his coaches time to work on specifics.

Tellez said this time will also give his athletes a chance to study for finals, something that has not occurred much in the past.

Mostly, the Cougars will keep on running, despite the fact the SWC season is over and that some have nothing left to strive for.

"Just more practice time," Tellez said.

MUSIC ONLY PART OF INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL

Local Music

Tom Turner

Are you looking for a culturally enriching afternoon in the company of thousands of perfect strangers? OK, then how about just an afternoon walking around outside in the heat and humidity of downtown Houston? Well then, the annual International Festival may be just the ticket for you. The festival salutes Italy for this year's festivities.

Granted, in a musical comparison to the recent Westheimer Arts Festival, the International Festival may not have as much of the "unique and interesting flair" that the Arts Festival has. The International Fest doesn't offer nearly as much local entertainment, but with a little searching, the festival can still be just as enjoyable. However, it does provide a plethora, if you will, of music and other forms of entertainment that one may not normally be exposed to. In other words, a bunch of different stuff that you don't hear or see everyday.

The festival is in the northwest quadrant of downtown through May 1. The musical performances and entertainers on the various stages began performing over the weekend and will do so again Saturday and Sunday.

Musically speaking, there is something here for nearly every interest. Eight stages scattered around the festival grounds provide a wide range of music and other entertainment.

The festival's focus culture, Italy, is musically represented on the Italy '94 stage. Additionally, some of the other features are the Cajun/Zydeco stage, the Jazz Square, the Texas Stage, the Latin Stage, the International Block and the Country Stage. Plus, there's even the Kids' Block Stage, to take the little tykes.

Several different performers can be seen on the various stages during the festival. Saturday and Sunday, the stages were busy all day long. Some of the acts included Global Village, Wazobia, Pierre & the Zydeco Dots and Sebastian Whitaker & the Creators.

Along with the musical groups there are lots of other entertainers at the festival.

Featured Saturday was Bakra Bata, an American steel drum and percussion group. The group finds its roots in reggae, calypso, samba and contemporary African beats. And guess what? They're based in Seattle but they weren't wearing flannel! I didn't think that was legal.

Besides the musicians that appear on the stages, there are also several other groups providing cultural entertainment. The Houston International Folk Dancers, the Korean Folk Dancers, the Thai Performing Arts Group and the Chilean Folkloric Group were a few of the groups to appear at the International Block.

The Houston International Festival may not be for everyone, but for a carefree afternoon outdoors and some good entertainment it's not a bad idea. Especially because it's free! Well that's just admission. There are charges for parking, food and beverages and whatever you may not be able to live without at the hundreds of booths.

Anyway, the festival runs through the first of May in downtown. The various entertainers and musicians begin their shows about noon although schedules may vary in order of appearance for staged events.

So, if you can stand the heat and the rather expensive beverages and food, go and have yourself a grand old time at the International Festival.

For additional information about specific events or general information about the festival, call HIF—0202 or 654—8808.

Turner is a sophomore majoring in psychology who is much younger than he looks.

ANGELFISH'S WHITE NOISE HEAVENLY

by Tom Turner

There are not enough words to accurately describe the music Angelfish brings forth on its debut release. Only with a listen or two can one come close to fully understanding the feeling and style conveyed on the album.

Angelfish is one of the most recent groups to emerge from Scotland and this one is sure to make a big wave in the United States with this release. Under the Radioactive label, the self-titled, ten-track album is jammed full of strong tracks from start to finish.

The music and style of Angelfish "exhibits a fresh, welcomed contrast to most of the music plaguing the charts." A few of the tracks that stand out on this release include "Dogs In A Cage," "Suffocate Me," "King Of The World" and "Tomorrow Forever."

Angelfish is lead by the captivating voice of Shirley Manson. Manson's voice is sensual, yet at the same time carries a sense of power. Other members of the group include Martin Metcalfe on guitar, Derek Kelly on drums and Fin Wilson on bass. Each member provides a strong base to back Manson's vocals. The group cites Velvet Underground, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Stooges as a few musical influences.

They display the kind of out-of-kilter charm and intensity that most artists can only lie about possessing in their press releases.

Angelfish opened for Dig and the Ramones at the 1993 New Music Seminar. Soon after the show, the band was awarded the best performance of the seminar by <I>The Network Forty<P>, a music industry trade magazine.

Angelfish's debut release is quite simply a strong release in nearly every way. Most of the tracks are original, and the vocal work fits perfectly with the solid music of the band.

If by chance the band makes a stop in town, go and check them out for yourself. Or just go and get the latest release, and you too may become entranced by the music of Angelfish.